Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: [M] [IC] Fallout: Ain't That A Kick In The Head?

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Apocalyptic, Dark, Lovecraftian, Africa, 20th Century History
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Joe wanted to be mad at anyone but himself, and Stephen reacting in the way he did allowed Joe to do just that. "Fuck you man! I know your asshole cowboy type, who thinks they know shit about the world but they've lived out their life in who-the-fuck-knows-nowhere. You think you're better than me because you live in this shit? The only reason you live out here is because you're too stupid to imagine anything better. You think I'm a coward, but bravery to people like you is just another word for stupidity, and that probably flows strong where you come from!"

Joe turned away, his breathing heavy and muscles tense, taking a few steps before reaching into his coat, before withdrawing his hand. "God damnit, why don't we have any fucking cigarettes."
    There's a black crow sitting across from me
    His wiry legs are crossed
    He's dangling my keys, he even fakes a toss
    Whatever could it be
    That has brought me to this loss?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dani turned her blushing face away from Nikola as he joined her behind the rock. She looked down at Neils and gave him a sad smile. She responded to his head rubs by scratching him gently behind the ear. Nikola's voice in her ear was soft and comforting and her blush deepened at the sincerity behind his words. She let them sit in silence for a moment before taking a deep breath and responding.

"Thanks... Nicki... I care about you too... And... I'm sorry if I overstepped back there. I was kind of not in my head ya know? I... had a nightmare... which i'm sure you've guessed by now. But... It wasn't just a dream... It's something that actually happened... and I can't get the memory out of my head..." She paused for a moment and shuttered, holding back more tears.

She lifted her head and finally looked over at Nikola. Her eyes conveying her fear and hatred and so many other emotions. "You see, I'm not really on this mission because I chose to be. In fact I haven't chosen my own mission in years... My boss... Uses me... For his own gain... and for... other things..." She distracted herself by putting her forehead against Neils and sighing once more. "I... Don't want to talk about my dream but... I feel like I need to... So i'm sorry if I make you uncomfortable. But I need you to listen to the whole thing before you say anything ok?"

She launched into an explanation of her nightmare, as tactfully as she possibly could. She avoided eye contact with him as she spoke and she could feel her whole body shake as she recounted all of the real life details. She finished by pulling down her shirt and showing him the still red and raw scar on her shoulder.

"It happened only about six weeks ago. I think that's why i'm having such a hard time being around Joe. He's friends with my scummy boss by the way. I don't think he knows what kind of person he is behind closed doors. But I don't doubt he knows how dirty he is. How can he be okay associating with someone like him? I know i'm not... But I have no other choice... I'm... Trapped..." She let her voice trail off and she wrapped her arms around her legs and laid her head on her knees. She had no clue how Nikola was going to react, but, she felt better getting it off her chest.
    Last edited by abbiejlee95; 06-20-2019 at 02:27 AM.
    “I mean, it’s sort of exciting isn’t it? Breaking the rules.” -Hermione Granger

Post-Apocalyptic, Urban, Fantasy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Stephen stood up as well, but not to chase after Joe. "For a guy who claims to know all about people, ya sure as hell can't seem to figure me out. You're right about one thing, and that's me being stupid enough to help your sorry asses in the first place," he snarled sharply. Rhea hopped to her feet, watching her master closely in anticipation of movement. "Should've let the tribals get you, should've gone home and left you in Zion, but my goddamn conscience got in the way. Not anymore. I ain't got a dog in this fight, so get your own ass to Delta. You're not my fuckin' problem."

He snatched up his bag and whistled for Rhea, who was quick to step to his side. There would be no further arguing - Stephen was fully intent to head off into the night, without so much as a glance behind him.
    icon art by the always lovely Ekatii@dA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nikola quietly listened to Dani's story and was awestruck by the depravity of her boss and truly saddened by the hopelessness of her situation. Her story bothered him. Her bosses actions angered him. The fact that he could do nothing about her situation infuriated him. However, he tried to keep all his anger hidden behind his calm demeanor. Despite his effort, he couldn't stop his hands from shaking in his frustration. Near the end of Dani's story he steadied his hands by folding his arms.

He sat in silence as Dani curled up into the fetal position. What was he to make of all this? How could someone be so cruel, and to what end? Much like the two in the heated argument, Nikola was mad at the world for allowing such a tragedy to happen.

Eventually, he put his hand on Dani's arm. "I'm sorry. Truly. This boss of yours is a monster. I wish I could make it all better... Maybe we can work it out! I'll go with you, we could strike a deal for your freedom... Something. There has to be away..." He said, trying desperately to find some sort of hope. "I'm just... I'm glad you told me. And I'm sorry... And here for you. Remember that." He said somberly, wiping some moisture from his eyes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Joe watched Stephen pick up his bag and start to leave. "Oh, so that's it? Is this why you live in the desert alone, because anytime someone makes you realize you're a complete and utter asshole you leave? Who's the real coward here? You'll leave us to fend for ourselves because you're too god damned scared to face the truth."

"The hell with you then," Joe finished, picking up a rock and throwing it in Stephen's direction, but it wildly missed and bounced off the ground about 10 feet away from him.
    Whatever could it be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dani began to shake her head vehemently as Nikola suggested doing something to help her.

"No! No... I'm sorry... I can't get you involved with him... I don't even want to begin to think about what he would do to you... Please... Forget about him. Thank you for listening... But he's my problem to deal with." She put a hand on his leg and smiled at him.

"I'm truly grateful to call you a friend. So let's just enjoy this time we have together on this mission and try not to think to much on what comes after. Let's just hope we survive this and hope we can have that drink you keep promising." She got to her feet and reached a hand down to help Nikola up.

"Let's get some sleep huh?" She smiled and began walking back to where they had been sleeping only moments before. She tried to hide her still red face as she realized he would probably go right back to sleeping next to her. She mentally smacked herself. "Get ahold of yourself dumbass." She whispered to herself under her breath as she settled down facing away from Nikola. She didn't even take notice of the other two.

Post-Apocalyptic, Urban, Fantasy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Stephen paused and cast a dull, irritated look back at Joe. "Maybe I am an asshole, but that's not a truth I'm afraid of," he retorted, his voice more tired now. "I accepted who I am a long time ago. But the truth about human nature - that's the truth that keeps me in the desert. And if that makes me a coward, so be it." He waved his hand dismissively, and continued deeper into the midnight shadows.
    icon art by the always lovely Ekatii@dA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Yeah." Nikola said as reached up and grabbed Dani's hand. As they walked back to camp, he caught a brief glimpse of the fighting between Joe and Stephen. Whatever they were fighting over, hopefully they could figured it out and move on. Nikola was too tired to care however, and he had a lot on his mind after his conversation with Dani. She laid down with her back towards him as he went to lay on his bedroll. "Goodnight. You know, I'm very glad we met." Nikola said as he looked at the sky and tried to process everything that happened as his mind drifted towards sleep.
    "There are bad ways to win and good ways to lose. What's interesting and troubling is that it's not always clear which is which." - Grimsley

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Joe sat down in the dirt and watched Stephen walk off. There was nothing left to be said, except apologize, and that wasn't likely for either of them.

Joe muttered to himself, "...preaching to me about his hillbilly nonsense, what's he know anyways?" But in the back of his mind a worry grew. Could they really make it without Stephen's help?

Joe got up and moved his things closer to Dani and Nikola, suddenly feeling insecure about his position. Dani and Nikola were capable. Who needed the grouchy hermit? Still, Joe couldn't go to sleep, and he kept looking back up to see if Stephen had changed his mind and had come back.
    Whatever could it be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dani lay tensely with her back to Nikola for some time before Joe came over nearer to them and oddly his presence gave her a bit of comfort. She drifted off into sleep for what remained of the night and her dream this time was peaceful. She saw Neils playfully leaping into the air chasing after Beggar who was diving down and teasing him. She saw herself sitting on the shore of a beach with a sense of freedom she had never really felt, along with a familiar warm presence behind her. Hope grew a bit in her heart and she held onto it for as long as she slept.
    “I mean, it’s sort of exciting isn’t it? Breaking the rules.” -Hermione Granger

Page 23 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2122232425 ... LastLast