Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: [M] [IC] Fallout: Ain't That A Kick In The Head?

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Post-Apocalyptic, Urban, Fantasy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Drunk, angry, and exhausted, Stephen's mind was a whirlwind as he stormed off into the night without so much as a glance back at the camp he abandoned. He walked - or staggered, rather - until he was far enough away to satisfy himself, and in a defensible position. A heavy sigh escaped him as he settled down, releasing some of the anger and tension from before while he subconsciously rubbed at his left wrist. Rhea lied down beside him, studying him closely. Her own sigh caught Stephen's attention. He smiled softly and stroked her head. "Sorry, girl."

That was all he said or thought, before lying down the rest of the way and soon after giving in to sleep's sirensong.
    icon art by the always lovely Ekatii@dA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

After all that Dani told Nikola, he was genuinely concerned for her. As he started up at the sky, he couldn't help but think about what would happen when they completed this mission. Part of him never wanted it to end, but he knew it had to. Instead, he shifted his thoughts as to what he would do when they completed the mission. Dani was clearly tough and had been able to handle this depraved individual she called her boss for some time now, but how could he help her be rid of this man once and for all? Ideas and plans, both feasible and impossible, ran through his head. They kept him up and even pervaded his dreams, reaching a turning point in a little nightmare of his. As this terrible dream woke him in the early hours of the morning, the only thing he could recollect was the moral of the story in his head: Did Dani really want his help? Would he even have the power to help? It wouldn't be the first time he set off with grandiose ideas of helping the people he cared about, only to see it all fall apart.
    "There are bad ways to win and good ways to lose. What's interesting and troubling is that it's not always clear which is which." - Grimsley

Apocalyptic, Dark, Lovecraftian, Africa, 20th Century History
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Joe didn't sleep well that night. The night was colder than other nights, and the good feelings Joe had earlier after some slight self-actualization, had turned into fear and anxiety.

He got up as the sun rose, awake long before. He looked around, but saw no sign of Stephen. Maybe this time Joe really had managed to run him off. It almost seemed like he had been trying to.

Joe let the others sleep. He was in no hurry to leave today. He sat, and quietly chewed on some fruit they had. Guilt was not a feeling Joe was used to feeling, but it was better than fear.
    There's a black crow sitting across from me
    His wiry legs are crossed
    He's dangling my keys, he even fakes a toss
    Whatever could it be
    That has brought me to this loss?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dani slept peacefully the rest of the night and awoke to see Joe sitting quietly and eating. She looked around and noticed that Stephen was missing.

"Hey, Joe? Where is Stephen? Don't we need to get going?"
    “I mean, it’s sort of exciting isn’t it? Breaking the rules.” -Hermione Granger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When Stephen woke up, the sun was already in the sky, and it greeted him alongside a pounding headache and wave of nausea. He rolled over bitterly to keep his back to the east, but the motion was enough to get Rhea's attention. She jumped up and trotted over to her master's side, sniffing his face with a gently flicking tongue. Stephen growled lowly and pushed her head away, but she shoved it right back until her nose was stuck under his arm. Her tail swished happily, and Stephen finally gave in.

He rose with no small amount of effort, mumbling nonsense to himself as his head swam and fragmented memories came back to him one by one. He poured some water from his canteen onto his face, bringing at least some clarity back. Leaning on a boulder, he watched the sky transition from the last pinks and oranges of dawn to the more brutal blue of the morning. What this day would bring was largely up to him - a choice merely needed to be made. The temptation of home was strong, but now that the initial rage had settled down from the night before, so was a pressing guilt that he had just left three people to die in the wilderness. More or less, anyway. Now it was only a matter of deciding just how much he was willing to let that guilt sway his decision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Hey, Joe? Where is Stephen? Don't we need to get going?" Dani asked as Nikola was beginning to wake.

He patiently waited a response from Joe as he prepared for the day's journey but, deep down, he already knew the answer. There was much attention paid to the heated conversation between Joe and Stephen last night, but it seems the argument had reach a breaking point. All he knew now was that Joe was here and Stephen was not.
    "There are bad ways to win and good ways to lose. What's interesting and troubling is that it's not always clear which is which." - Grimsley

Apocalyptic, Dark, Lovecraftian, Africa, 20th Century History
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Joe was startled by Dani as she woke up and spoke to him. He turned and replied, "I told him he could leave if he hated being here so much. We don't need him anyways. We're less than a week from Delta. I'm sure the military installation there will have food and water. I still have the map." Joe might have felt guilty, but his pride was still important to him, and he couldn't let the others see him as weak, especially not now.

Joe started gathering his things. "And you're right, we should be going, so let's go." Joe's usual charm and sarcasm were absent.
    There's a black crow sitting across from me
    His wiry legs are crossed
    He's dangling my keys, he even fakes a toss
    Whatever could it be
    That has brought me to this loss?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dani sat with mouth agape for a moment. She had been oblivious to the previous nights quarrel and she was shocked at the sudden absence of one of their party members. "But, I... We... " She stuttered as Joe nonchalantly gathered his things. She look over at Nikola in confusion and raised her arms in question at him. "Don't we kind of need him? And isn't he pretty far from home for us to leave him alone? What if another large group attacks him or something? Are we just gonna let him wander off to potentially die?"
    “I mean, it’s sort of exciting isn’t it? Breaking the rules.” -Hermione Granger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Stephen watched the horizon for some time, losing track of exactly how long he followed the sun's journey into the sky. A small whine from Rhea pulled him back to reality, and he sighed. "So, girl, we headed home or back to the assholes?" Rhea tilted her head. Chuckling, Stephen leaned down and picked up his pack. Home's pull seemed to grow only stronger, but the stubborn feeling of guilt remained even as he tried to push it down. His feet took him back in the direction of the camp, even as his better judgment screamed at him to return home. Loyally, Rhea followed in his footsteps, blissfully unaware of the inner conflict leading to this decision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nikola shrugged at Dani's questions, sharing her confusion. "At this point, I think we need him as much as he needs us." he told her. "Joe, are you sure this is the best move? We've come this far, I think it would be best for everyone involved if we stuck together." Nikola then turned his attention over to Joe who was ready to pack up and move out.

Joe had been the glue that held the team together, with his smooth talking tongue and promises of fortune. Now, he could care less about Stephen. Nikola couldn't help but wonder what had changed.

Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2223242526 ... LastLast