Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: [M] [IC] Fallout: Ain't That A Kick In The Head?

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Apocalyptic, Dark, Lovecraftian, Africa, 20th Century History
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Chill out baby!" Joe replied to Stephen's and Nikola's remarks, "Let ol' Joe do his sweet talking and we'll be on our way in no time!" he said, straightening out his coat and confidently walking into the camp.

As he approached the fire, he kept his air of confidence, but in his mind he hoped the rest of his group would be right behind him. Joe suddenly paused, when in the light of the fire he saw a rather strange looking man.

Leaning against the rock face, with a book folded open before him, the man was covered from head to toe with bandages, like a mummy. Over the bandages he wore simple dark pants and some sort of police vest body armor over a white button down shirt.

The man looked up from his book as Joe approached and the only part of his body that was not covered by bandages, his piercing, fearsome eyes, looked directly at Joe, making him pause his step.

The man stood up, and closed the book he was reading with one hand, and then spoke to Joe, in a deep, powerful, yet calming voice, "I would say welcome to Zion, but it appears the White Legs have greeted you first."

The man walked over to Joe and extended his hand, "However, I think you'll find us far more accommodating than the White Legs." Joe shook the man's hand and he continued, "I am Joshua Graham, you and your friends are free to stay in Zion as long as you need, we have food and water for you, however, if you were heading North, I'm afraid this is as far as you'll get."

A few tribals came out with wooden bowls filled with some sort of pudding textured substance in it, and animal skins with water, handing them to Joe and the others. However, Joe had stopped paying attention after hearing the name Joshua Graham, and had turned white as a ghost, with a concealed expression of fear on his face.

"Joshua Graham.....as in the Malpias Legate?" Joe said. Joshua paused for a moment, before replying, "That name died a long time ago, at the Grand Canyon."

Joe couldn't believe he was sitting in front of who was once the second most feared man by the NCR. However, Joe realized the rest of his group was probably waiting on him to get what he needed, so he started to recompose himself.

"Thank you for being..uh..more hospitable than most we've run into," Joe said, sitting down next to the fire with his food. Joshua replied, "Be not forgetful to entertain strangers: for thereby some have entertained angels unawares."

Angels. Hah, Joe thought. He certainly wasn't one.
    There's a black crow sitting across from me
    His wiry legs are crossed
    He's dangling my keys, he even fakes a toss
    Whatever could it be
    That has brought me to this loss?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nikola followed closely behind Joe as they approached the camp. He saw the bandaged figure in the light of the fire and almost ran into Joe who had stopped in his tracks. Nikola gently shook his head and muttered under his breath, "This place just gets crazier and crazier"

However, Nikola's outlook changed once they brought out some much needed rations. He cautiously tried the food and water, and consumed it with vigor after deciding it was probably safe. As much as he didn't trust these tribals, his stomach was doing the thinking.

As Nikola finished scarfing down the rations provided, he froze with a mixture of hatred and fear as he heard the words 'Malpias Legate'. Nikola had seen a lot of messed up things in the wasteland, but nothing as cruel as the works of the Legion. Most creatures in the wasteland killed you fairly quick. Afterall, they just wanted you for a snack. The Legion, on the other hand, made you suffer. Subjugation and brutality was their business; torture and fear were their goods. Nikola had heard of this 'Malpias Legate' before. This was Caesar's right hand man, someone almost as terrible as the leader of the Legion himself. Or so Nikola thought. He tried to conceal his hatred, as this Joshua Graham was being rather hospitable, but Nikola stayed alert and on edge. He never knew the legion to be so accepting.

He bit his tongue, as the last thing he wanted was to have another fight on his hands. Nikola sat down next to Joe and gave him a bitter glare. He leaned over and said to Joe, "You and I are going to have a serious talk about this mission if we manage to get away from Graham cracker over here."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dani watched from the sidelines and silently observed the reactions of the others as she ate her share of rations. She hadn't dealt much with the legion herself. The thugs she had grown up with were a very different kind of cruel. She also tried to keep herself as far away from fueding tribes and politicians as possible. If they paid and her boss was okay with them she didn't care who they were she just did her job and moved along. She knew the legion was on another level though and could tell by the curl of Nikolas lip and the palor of Joe's face this man was one of the worst. She unconsciously put a steadying hand on Nikolas arm as his hand tensed around his bowl. The last thing they needed was an exploding drunken scientist.

Post-Apocalyptic, Urban, Fantasy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Stephen silently accepted the food he was offered, looking it over thoroughly before putting any in his mouth. He eventually decided that even if it was poisoned or otherwise contaminated, death would be a better way to go than whatever they were going to have to do to get out of this mess. Rhea settled down beside him while watching the crackling fire, mesmerized by the flickering light. The name everyone seemed to react so strongly to meant nothing to Stephen, and so he offered no reaction of his own. Whoever this guy was, he did not particularly care. He was likely their only way out.
    icon art by the always lovely Ekatii@dA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Joe shrugged off Nikola's comment, and said after throwing on a fake smile, "Don't worry about it baby, I got this!"

Joe shifted his attention back to Joshua graham. "So, ah, you said something about not heading North, but it just so happens that's our route. Whats the story on that one Daddy-O?"

Joshua replied, "Those dogs the White Legs, who you encountered on your way into Zion are the story on that, and their handlers the Legion. The White Legs pushed their way from their home at Moab, and destroyed everything in their path to New Canaan. New Canaan was put to the sword, and the White legs continued their path of destruction here, to Zion."

At this point, Joshua started to become visibly angry, balling his hands into fists, "God will judge them for their actions, and with a righteous vengeance and fury, we will wipe them out like the dogs they are!" After that outburst, Joshua stared into the fire, silently, slowly calming down.

James waited for his anger to simmer, not wanting to provoke a former Legion warlord, and asked, "The Mormons..they're gone? All of them?"

"All put to the sword, and those who weren't are hiding among the friendly tribes like I am. In time we will rebuild, if God so wills it." Joshua replied.

"What about Cedar City? Delta?" Joe said, looking increasingly worried.

"Cedar City was enslaved or murdered. I am unsure of the fate of Delta, but from what I heard most of the city fled West, into Eighties territory. I doubt their fate there was any better."

Joe looked over to Stephen, the only other person in the group who knew they were headed to Delta, trying to gauge his reaction to this news.

"There has to be a way to get past the White Legs, right? If most of their army is here? Places like Delta must be abandoned right?" Joe asked.

"Even if you found a way past the White Legs, they still have a few patrols and scavengers in the land they have passed through. But that is not what you need to worry about, for wherever The White Legs move, Ceaser and his men are not far behind."

Joe replied, "But its possible, Daddy-O just give me some sort of hope here!"

"Possible certainly, but it won't be easy. There is a lot of wide open land once you leave Zion. Evading legion or White Legs patrols wouldn't be too difficult, but only a few routes have a steady supply of food and water. If you're foolish enough to carry through with your journey North, I can show you a passage out of Zion the White Legs have probably not discovered yet. And I'll pray for you, but that is all I can provide."

Joe turned and looked at the others. This was going to be a tough one to talk them into, but at this point Joe knew he was dead if he returned, so he might as well die going forwards.
    Whatever could it be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nikola was snapped out of his anger by Dani. He turned to her and gave an understanding smile. As Joe began talking to Joshua, Nikola leaned in close to Dani and asked her, "What do you know about the Legion? Judging from your reaction, I'm going to guess it isn't that much."

Listening on to Joshua Graham, Nikola once again heard talk of the Legion. Turning back to Dani, Nikola whispered "I'm only going to say this because I have a mild vested interest in the survival of our group. We could barely hold off against a group of White Legs. Joe must be insane if he thinks we can take on a legion patrol. Not to mention our food situation." Nikola took a moment to sigh and continued. "I'd rather not die here. I'm sure you feel the same."

Nikola stood up from his seat by the fire and stood by the edge of the encampment with his back to the fire. He stood quietly in thought as he took another swig of whiskey from his flask.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dani felt a shiver down her spine at Nikolas words and she released her grip on his arm as he stood and walked away. She glanced back at Joe and wondered why he was being so persistent about this mission if all of their lives we're at stake. He didn't seem like the kind to willingly walk into danger. He didn't seem to have much confidence in his fighting skills. So why? There must be something he wasn't sharing with everyone.
    She watched as he made eye contact with Stephen and wondered what he had shared with him. Whatever the case she agreed with Nikola. She sure as hell wasn't tossing her life away for Joe or anyone else's sake.

Post-Apocalyptic, Urban, Fantasy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As soon as the fate of the northern cities came up, Stephen could not hold back an audible groan. He happened to catch Joe's glance, but held his tongue until he had finished his conversation. When the slick talker returned to the group, Stephen spoke up before he could say anything: "Guess that calls it, then. Nothing up north but war, starvation, and death. Feel free to dance into Legion traps if you want, but there's no way in hell you're dragging my ass with you."
    icon art by the always lovely Ekatii@dA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Joe laid his hand on Stephen's shoulder, before quickly taking it off, "Woah, woah, take a chill pill Daddy-O! It's not as bad as it seems baby! Our kind host over here said he could show us a way to sneak past those crazy White Leg cats, and then in less than three, four days tops, we'll be where we need to be! Mosey on back down here back the way we came, and this job will be over in no time!"

After that, Joe forced a slick, convincing smile on his face, and turned to the rest of the group, "Now come on, there's no need to worry. You think a real hip fellow like me would wander out somewhere he believed he'd get hurt? I'll go on my own if I have to, but it'd be a shame for you all to turn back now!"

Joe paused for a moment, before continuing, "...especially since I will triple the original reward guaranteed, payed as soon as we get back to New Vegas. A easy-peasy week of walking for that many caps? You'd be crazy to turn back now!"

While Joe aired a sense of confidence, inside he was in turmoil. They were right, even with that kind of money on the table there'd be no guarantee they'd come. He still had an ace up his sleeve for Nikola and Dani, everyone has their price. If he could not get them to come by upping the reward even more, maybe he could peak their interest. Especially that nerd Nikola, where they were going would have him very interested. Dani seemed like one who just followed where the good caps were, plus he knew how to sweet talk a woman.

But what about the mysterious hermit Stephen. It appeared there really was nothing that would make him go. But everyone wanted something. Joe only had to find out what it was, or at least get close enough to manipulate him into coming.

"So what do you all say? We take it easy tonight, and then head out bright and early in the morning!"
    Whatever could it be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Well Joe, I say let's talk" Nikola said as he turned to face the confident and well-dressed man. "We have followed you this far, and things have only gotten increasingly dangerous. And now I'm hearing the legion is involved. That is some serious shit, and I don't care how confident your words are, they aren't going to stop some Legionaries from stringing me up on a cross."

Nikola paused for a brief moment, looking down at the ground in thought. "Sure, I'll take the extra caps." he said quietly.

After collecting his thought and returning his gaze to Joe's pupils, he continued "But what good are they going to do me if I'm dead? I think it's time you tell me exactly where we are headed, Joe, and why the hell this place is so damn important! You can tell me, or I can wait here and see just how far that million dollar smile gets you."

Nikola let his words sink in, looking over Joe's expression. With a surprisingly malevolent glare, he watched every movement Joe made with relentless scrutiny and awaited a response. Perhaps it was the fact that he was running low on whiskey, or the fact that they were about to be face to face with the Bull's horns. Either way, Nikola's careless and sarcastic demeanor, and quite frankly his patience, was reaching its limit.

Page 7 of 30 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast