Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: [M] [IC] Fallout: Ain't That A Kick In The Head?

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Post-Apocalyptic, Urban, Fantasy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The day wore on, and it was well into the afternoon by the time Stephen's tracking efforts paid off. The first to notice anything was Rhea, naturally, who perked up mid-yawn to taste the air. Something ahead was familiar, and there was only one thing that could conceivably be. Picking up his pace slightly, Stephen soon found the source - a small silhouetted group on the horizon, ragtag and bumbling but not really any worse for wear. "Got a destination in mind?" he called out idly. "'cause it doesn't seem to be the same one we were headed for before."
    icon art by the always lovely Ekatii@dA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Minutes turned to hours as the horizon of the barren wasteland grew farther and farther away. Every hill they crested dashed Nikola's hopes of finally reaching their destination and provided only an increasingly arduous journey. His faith in Joe continued to wane, but his navigational skills was all they had to go on. That is until a familiar presence made himself known. "Got a destination in mind? 'cause it doesn't seem to be the same one we were headed for before." Stephen called out.

The voice presented itself like an oasis in the harsh desert. Nikola was relieved to say the least. "Here I was thinking you'd never catch up with us!" He said, barely holding back a smile.
    "There are bad ways to win and good ways to lose. What's interesting and troubling is that it's not always clear which is which." - Grimsley

Apocalyptic, Dark, Lovecraftian, Africa, 20th Century History
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Joe turned and aimed his shotgun to the direction of the voice. He loosed up once he realized who it was. Joe resisted his impulse to say something snappy. It was better to keep the peace, because, even though Joe would never admit it to himself, he was just as relieved as the others were Stephen was back.

Keeping the peace didn't mean of course apologizing or admitting he was wrong, but Joe knew that Stephen was a better chance at getting them out of the Utah wilderness.

All Joe said was, "Yeah, straight to Delta."
    There's a black crow sitting across from me
    His wiry legs are crossed
    He's dangling my keys, he even fakes a toss
    Whatever could it be
    That has brought me to this loss?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dani breathed an inward sigh of relief as Stephen rejoined them. Maybe they could actually get back on track now. "Welcome back. I was a bit worried you had given up on us." She gave a small smile and leaned down to welcome Rhea as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Stephen glanced at Dani and nodded shortly while Rhea wagged her tail slowly. "I did. Wind took me this way, I guess," he mumbled. He stepped ahead of Joe and motioned for the others to follow. "If Delta's still your destination, you won't get there by going this way. C'mon." Without so much as an apology, explanation, or acknowledgement, Stephen casually slipped back into his role as navigator as if nothing had happened. Now he just needed to see this mission through so he could return home with a clean conscience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nikola couldn't help but smile as the gang followed Stephen. Like an oasis in the desert, their navigator had saved them from a dry and bitter end in the wastes. He was unsure what made Stephen leave in the first place or, better yet, what possessed him to come back, but some things are likely best left unsaid he concluded. Reinvigorated, Nikola marched on towards Delta. Towards a purpose.
    "There are bad ways to win and good ways to lose. What's interesting and troubling is that it's not always clear which is which." - Grimsley

Apocalyptic, Dark, Lovecraftian, Africa, 20th Century History
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And with an unspoken truce, the group traveled on. Joe was quiet, and cautious around Stephen for the remainder of the journey. Joe was able to be introspective enough to understand how not to upset Stephen, but if he were only capable of thinking a little more, he might realize how similar both of them were, despite their vastly different upbringings and lifestyles. Perhaps that was why the two butt heads so often. Or Joe was just an asshole.

Either way, it didn't matter, as Joe's mind now went solely to what would happen once they arrived, for he now truly believed they would.

-----------------------------

And arrive they did. Several more days of weary travels followed, quieter than usual. Joe interacted with the others when he could, but mostly left Stephen alone except to talk about the trip. The rest of the journey was refershingly uneventful.

But now, after all this time and hardship they were here. The group stood on a hill overlooking the abandoned town of Delta. "Well ain't that the bees knees! We someone pulled it off. That's Delta down there!" Joe wanted to run down into the town and celebrate, but he got a hold on himself and took out his binoculars.

"Now we just gotta find this damn installation and we're set." Joe leaned up against a Engelmann Spruce tree, and started searching the area with his binoculars.

He spotted it. There was a large barbed wire fence on the other side of the town. Beyond that was likely their destination. "I got it. Its on the other side of the town, now all we gotta do is....." Joe stopped mid sentence, his body tensing up, and his face almost going white.

No. They were so close, how..how could they have run into that now.

"All we gotta do is go through the left side of the town. I saw some mutants on the right. Nothing to worry about, but best to avoid them if we can." Joe looked at the rest of the group, recomposing himself. One last lie to get them through. It would be fine. If they traveled quietly and quickly, they could avoid it. If they found out, it wouldn't matter anyways.
    There's a black crow sitting across from me
    His wiry legs are crossed
    He's dangling my keys, he even fakes a toss
    Whatever could it be
    That has brought me to this loss?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dani enjoyed the quiet for the rest of the trip. She was exhausted and needed the break from conversation. She was struggling to sleep as they neared their destination though and she couldn't quite put her finger on the reason for her unease.

When they finally reached Delta, her heart began to pound with nervous anticipation. She prepared herself to stave off any mutants or other creatures they may have to face in the coming hours.

She looked around at their rag tag group and noticed for the first time how tattered and worn they all looked. This trip had not gone as anticipated. So she wasn't going to expect the rest of the mission to go any better.
    “I mean, it’s sort of exciting isn’t it? Breaking the rules.” -Hermione Granger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Stephen squinted slightly as he looked down into Delta, glanced back at Joe for a second, then Rhea, before finally shrugging with a dull grunt. "Best take it slow on our way through. There's no tellin' what the hell else's moved in since the old residents moved out. Probably nothin' pleasant, so keep your head down 'n guns ready just in case." He stared at Joe pointedly. "Unless you got somethin' in mind we need to be looking out for 'sides mutants."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They had finally reached their destination and it wasn't nearly as welcoming as Nikola hoped it would be. Only time would tell what final challenge they would face as they reached the home stretch of their mission. Nikola simply had to be prepared for anything. Readying his laser pistol, he followed the other's into the unknown.

Page 26 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2425262728 ... LastLast