Thread: What draws you to a roleplay?

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    268 Post(s)

Default What draws you to a roleplay?

This section looks lonely with so few threads! Thought I would start a discussion on the top things that peak your interest when browsing new roleplays!

For me, I love a solid plot! When you can tell the GM has a good idea of where they want the roleplay to go (of course, leaving room for players to influence the story) and has put some real thought into their rp.

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Slice of life or Realistic Fantasy
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

I'm very similar. I like a firmly established plot, with the freedom for all to create their own characters and influence that plot.

I dare say the only downside to this is if people preference roleplaying a specific genre, having a set idea can get you overlooked in that case.
    Last edited by x Socialite x; 03-12-2018 at 04:41 AM.

Be a better you + Be a better person + Be a better human

Fantasy, Romance, Fandom
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

In a group RP, it's solid worldbuilding. Even if the plot is a little weak, the players can definitely cook something up if the worldbuilding makes sense and has just one or two interesting things that are left a mystery. Not holes in the world but something that leaves you wanting to know more. You get your character to ask the questions, you get interesting interactions.

In private RPs I generally prefer an opportunity to develop both the plot and the worldbuilding. It's fine if either is set in stone but I think the real fun of private RPs is the amount of room you both have to stretch your creative wings together. It's a lot easier for 2 people to agree than say 4 or 5 people.

Literate, fantasy, medieval, romance
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Something that draws me to a roleplay is good character and world building. I love being able to create my own character and develop the character the further I get into the roleplay. I also love when people are willing to drive the plot forwards, it's no fun when you're the one doing all the plotting. It makes the roleplay much more enjoyable. Another thing I love is when there's an opportunity for plot twists and either one of the roleplayers take the opportunity. It can throw the whole roleplay for a loop and makes you think.

These are just a few of the things that will draw me into a roleplay.

`、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)

I like a great concept that appeals to me, where I can try to experiment a bit, have a little fun.

World building is important, I usually find myself throwing some suggestions here and there to help my understanding of the world we'll be playing in.

I also like the challenge where I can play a flawed character. I don't cream the bad guy with a power blast from my hands - last time it just fell to the floor and laid there, popping and hissing while it burned out. I had to use a piece of pipe, which later replaced my leg.
    Spoiler: いいいいいいいい √Ăłł Єѵł いいいいいいいい 

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Small groups of people who are a bit more laid back when it comes to posting but still write good quality posts. I'm pretty busy so if I was to maintain a consisting level of quality with my posts, the rate at which I make my posts would be once or twice a week depending on how many people there are. Ideally I'd be writing with a group of about three other people so I don't have ridiculous amounts to read through in between my own posts. That's the main thing.

From there, it's pretty much whether the concept interests me enough. I'm generally pretty flexible with the genre of an RP. I'm pretty happy jumping into something really simple for the sake of, let's say "warming up", but then if I find I work really well with a few people I absolutely love building more complex worlds and stories. Generally speaking, I'm cool with most things in an RP up until the point where it feels like a chore to keep up with it.

Month the of Member November
    Fantasy
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

One thing is the gm. I prefer to join games where the gm has been around for a while so I know that if I join their game they won't vanish 2 weeks later. I also prefer it if the gm is someone who has actually roleplayed on the site before. If it's only a few weeks of involvement in something that's fine just as long as they've previously had their toe in the water (and yeah I'm sure some people have played on other sites before they joined this one but from what I've seen each site does things in slightly different ways and not all forms of rp are the same).

Aside the gm I mostly pick rps by genre. Then the next thing is whether the setting outlined by the gm is believable. Then finally can I think of a decent character I want to use for it.
    Last edited by Crazywolf; 06-27-2018 at 01:47 PM.
    Born to be a king & fighting to survive in a world with the darkest powers.

The Fresh Prince of Britain RPAs personal wolf fetish RPA's Wolf Mascot Crazy the Wolfheart