Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: [M] Galactic Empires II

Domina Noctis
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy and Scifi
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

She slid her sword back into the scabbard and hooked it back on her belt noticing that the dance had caused the bandage from the IV to come off and her hand was bleeding again but it didn't look that bad, she merely stood there staring at the blood as it clotted on her hand.

"You're good." Said a familiar voice, causing Miranda to turn . "But you should get that properly seen too." Gaea was out of her armour, and had pointed to the bleeding hand. She was sitting on a crate nearby, bottle of water in one hand. She was, frankly, a mess. Wearing just stained leggings and a tank top, the clothes revealed the extent of cybernetic enhancement she had undergone. Her skin was studded with silver interface ports on every nerve cluster. Much of her remaining skin was heavily scarred or simply replaced with battlefield quality synth-skin, a mixture of different tones that made her look stitched together. Her nose had clearly been broken at some point, and chunks were missing from her ears and hair, evidence of more scarring. And she looked exhausted, drained of all energy, her eyes surrounded by deep black wells that spoke to profound exhaustion.

"I need to ask you some questions. If you have the time to spare."

It took a moment for Miranda to realize that Gaea had been speaking to her. She looked away from her hand to the elemental. "It's fine. And as for my skills as my grandfather would say after twelve years of lessons I better not be good, I better be great." She said, noticing the bandage on the floor a short distance from her. Reaching down she swiped it up pressing it to her hand. God she wished they hadn't woke up in this hell hole. If they weren't short on supplies she could use some med gel to stop the bleeding but she figured since Kromlyn was giving out bandages they either were out or conserving it. Miranda wasn't used to not having the best of everything, even while in the Navy they always had the best of supplies.

She recognized the voice as Gaea spoke but looked much different without her armor. The woman was heavily modified and Miranda figured it was her that was able to throw Winter and her around not the suit. Being modded wasn't unusual though Miranda wasn't that fond of it. In her mind Lyrans were already perfect and no need to improve on perfection. There was the odd occasion though when it was needed much like Quentin's bionic heart. The assassination attempt had left her heart badly damaged and it was the only thing they could do to save her. "What do you want to know? It doesn't look like I got much to do unless you have figured out a way to fly this heap from here." Miranda said.

"I need to know if I can trust you." Gaea said flatly. "After what happened in the cryo-bay. I can use you, up front. I know that the Lyrans don't skimp on training, you'll be able to handle the basics and I need every trigger finger I can get. But. . ."

She rolled her shoulders.

"If you can't work in a team, and I won't judge you for that, if you can't play nice with others, the science guys will have jobs for you. At the very least, having a trigger finger we can hold back here will do wonders for their confidence."

She sighed.

"So. Think you can hack it?"

"Look you do whatever you have to but trust me if you make it to the bridge you are going to need the best pilot you have to fly this fucked up ship. And believe me when I say that is me. No other pilot on this mission has logged as many flight hours as I have both on and off the flight simulator. Not to mention I was the first to complete the doomsday scenarios." Miranda said, recalling her time confined to the mission headquarters. She hadn't much to do during those months, her connection to the attacks had been all over the news feeds and quite a few people weren't pleased she was there. Miranda didn't make any friends before the mission. So she spent most of her spare time in the simulators, learning everything she could about the ships. She had even demoed some of Dr. Warrick's drones but hadn't liked them at all. A pilot without the guts to put themselves in danger wasn't worth a damn.

As she held the bandage to her hand she could feel the bleeding slow but didn't pull the bandage away yet. She sat down on the crate looking over at Gaea's mods, there were so many of them and quite a few looked jury-rigged. It made her wonder what the woman had been through in the last couple of years. "I can hold my own in a fire fight you can count on that." Miranda had never actually seen combat on the ground. The Lyrans didn't have any active campaigns going on, they mostly dealt with pirates. She had faced off with the pirates several times in space battle but never been part of the boarding teams. They had Marines for that. "I can play nice so long as you can keep that dog on a leash." Miranda said, thinking of Winter despite that fight being just as much her fault as it was the Teran's. If not more her own though Miranda would never admit that.

"She's a Terran Marine. TFMC training trumps instinct every time, she'll stay in line. However. . ."

Gaea stood, and cracked her knuckles.

"You call her a 'dog' one more time, and I'll put you down like one." She reached round to her back, and tossed Miranda a data slate.

"What we have on the bridge and its OS. Read up, flygirl."

Without another word, Gaea turned on her heel and left, throwing a casual wave as she stepped out of the room, leaving Miranda alone with her thoughts again.

She watched as Gaea walked away thinking that Terran Marines were nothing compared to just about anyone in the Lyran military. Despite her dislike of Marines she still had respect for them. They were elite soldiers and her dislike stemmed mostly from the fact Quentin was one. Miranda would play nice with Winter, for now at least. That still didn't mean they would end up the best of friends. Tucking the tablet under her arm she headed to where the mess had been set up, finally deciding that her stomach was settled enough to eat. Once there she noticed a small line of people waiting to get food.

Her head was also starting to hurt less so she decided to test her vision and see if it was getting back to normal. Slowly she pushed the holo-glasses down the bridge of her nose, squinting at first though carefully she opened her eyes. Everything was still a little bright but not enough to keep her from being able to see. She took the holo-glasses off and tucked them into a pocket in her flight suit. It was a couple more minutes before she reached Sanders and his chicken fryer. She glanced at the pile of raw chicken and crinkled her nose at it.

"What's wrong don't like the menu?" Sanders muttered.

"Do you have anything else?" Miranda said, she had been on a meatless diet since her last few years in school. She had been on the school speed skating team, several of her class mates had switched to a meatless diet saying it gave them more strength and endurance so Miranda had tried it as well.

"We got chicken and chicken." Sanders said making it clear that he wasn't taking requests.

"Uhm.... anything without meat?" Miranda asked, looking down the cooking station and not seeing much other than the chicken. She knew things were limited but hoped there were some other answers. She wasn't sure if they had set up some sort of garden or if the supplies to maintain one were available.

Sanders reached beneath the counter and dropped a brownish colored block on the counter. "Got protein ration. Though I can't comment on the taste." Sanders said, before pointing to a small room on the far side of the kitchen. "Hydroponics bay is over there you might be able to make a salad. So Miss picky eater what's your specialty?"

"Pilot." Miranda said, picking up the protein ration. It wasn't her first time with protein rations they tasted like cardboard and were dry as hell. The best thing was to eat them with a generous amount of water. When in the field they often would mix them into a pot of water with some hot sauce and heat it up over a fire making a sort of stew.

"Huh not much use for one of those, any idea where you are gonna be working? I could use a hand in the kitchen." Sanders said, leaning on the counter.

"No thanks I'm gonna be on Gaea's strike team." Miranda said, looking to where he had pointed out the hydroponics bay hoping she could find some herbs to mix into the protein rations. "I'm Lieutenant Miranda Clarke, by the way."

"Tough out there sure a pilot can keep up?" Saunders asked, drumming his fingers on the counter, "Clarke...hmm unless you are Lyran." He said, putting it together that she was Lyran just as Miranda started walking to the hydroponics bay without saying anything else. "Hey!" He shouted at her retreating back. "Fly us out of here, and I'll cook you anything you damn well want!"

Another round of bullets hits my skin. Well, fire away
    Cause today, I won't let the shame sink in. We are bursting through
    the barricades and reaching for the sun.

We Are Warriors

`、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)

"How accurate are the maps?" Iona asked, still in Sarah mode, in the same uniform she was wearing when she boarded. "You say that these berserkers make repairs, do they close off passageways? Do they set monitors and traps? Do they all go when there's repair work to be done? Or does one stay behind? How do they communicate?"

She paused, waiting. From what little she'd seen or heard of them, it seemed they were opportunist swarmers. That they did repairs suggested some sort of intelligence. Intelligence that could start anticipating. Planning.

Or perhaps it was all instinctual. Protecting its food supply?
    Spoiler: ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ √Ăłł Єѵïł ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ 

The Last Remembrancer
    Modern times or Sci-Fi games.
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

"Easy on the questions." Davrry drawled, before scratching at his beard. "Though they are good questions. They definitely talk to each other, and hell, they seem smart enough to hack wireless and whatever you spooky robots use to chat. I'm certain they use low frequency sound to communicate as well. They rattle bulkheads in specific patterns to get attention from anything local."

Gaea nodded. "We've never seen them set traps or monitoring. They've never sealed off a section, as far as we know, but they definitely engage in patrolling behavior"

"I still think they're territorial." Davrry cut in, and Gaea shushed him before continuing. "Generally, the closest to the damage will respond first, then transmit for as long as there is a problem, which will draw in more and more units. Once the problem is solved, they transmit an all clear and the units disperse. But they never return to exactly the same places."

Hell Knight of RPA
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Default Winter, Miranda and Sayori.

Winter woke up from her nap and looked to see the others getting ready at the small food shaft. She gets up and brushed her uniform from any dirt. Walking over to the group she looked at the cook and asked for food. Noticing it was only chicken, Winter didn't mind eating it. She received a couple of legs and walked to the meeting group. Though her eyes noticed the Lyran woman. "Well well...if it isn't cheap shot." She smirked.

She placed her plate down and picked up her shotgun. Lifting it up and placed it on her back. Her eyes however didn't leave the Lyre. "Your gonna need a real gun to fight those things...and not some tooth pick you carry around."

While listening to the mission brief Miranda sat on a crate eating her protein ration stew. She had found a nice assortment of herbs to make it a bit more flavorable. It wasn't fine dining but it was the sort of field cooking that could earn quite a few favors and good trades. The Terran Marine walked up to her and made some sort of comment about her sword. "The enemy can't pull a trigger if you disable their hand or simply take it completely off." Miranda said, taking a bite of her soup. She hadn't been to the make shift armory yet and planned on grabbing a few guns before they left. Right now she wanted to get some food into her.

She briefly thought of setting the bowl down and demonstrating how useful a sword could be but she remembered Gaea's words about how easily she could be pulled from the mission and stuck in the safe zone. So instead she looked away from Winter and back to her soup taking another bite. As much as she would like to finish what they had started earlier it would be better not to. Babysitting a bunch of nerds wasn't what she had in mind.

Winter scoffed about her reply. "Making jokes are we?" Then her eyes turned to the soup. "Aw just cute...you made crap." Vezarress chuckled in the background. "You better get a gun. Don't wanna lose our...'best' pilot to some freaks."

Than she heard something about drones. Scoffing again she folded her arms. "If it makes ya feel better best keep your ass here in the nerd department." She said aloud. "But if you have confidence I'm sure quick and easy here can break that thing." She chuckled to herself.

Growling low in her throat Miranda tried not to look at Winter or the lizardman, instead doing her best to resist the urge to throw the bowl at the Terran and throttle the crap out of her. She said she would behave but didn't know how much she could take before she lost it. Sending a discreet look Gaea she hoped the other woman saw how much of an effort she was putting into this. "You're damn right I am the best pilot on this rust bucket and I promise you will be singing a different tune when I fly us the hell out of here." Miranda said, turning back her back to Miranda and resuming eating her lunch. The two of them would have it out, she was sure of that but it wasn't going to happen now.

"Well let me start singing." She quickly dabs her chicken in her soup and takes a big bite out of it. "Now that's good sauce." She smirked and then takes a few steps back. "I'll leave her be." And walked on the opposite end. Vezarress chuckled and looked at Miranda. "Why didn't you just punched her like last time?" He asked. "I could've had a dinner and a show." He takes a big bite out of his chicken and chomps.

Clinching her fist around the spoon and bowl Miranda slammed down them both before standing up and taking a step towards Winter ready to give her the beating she deserved. The lizardman's words made her freeze though thinking about the fight in the cyro-bay and Gaea breaking them up. Yet again it reminded her of the orders Gaea had given her or rather the threat she had made. The elemental had said she would keep Winter in check but she wasn't really doing a good job of it right now. "Would you believe in the last few hours I found god and decided to turn my life around?" Miranda sarcastically quipped.

The Dragonoid stood up and sighs heavily. "Finding a creator is difficult." He said while standing in between the two. "But believe me when the answers are actually within you. Waiting to be found." The old lizard chuckled again. "I spent my whole life looking for answers when really they were right in front of me." He looked at the piece of chicken in his hand. "As much as I admire both your attitudes and behavior...the two of you need to settle your differences for our mission to succeed." He looked over his shoulder and stared at Winter. Whom sighs as she takes a bite out of her chicken leg. "I'll stay in line." She didn't bother to look at Miranda as she continued examining the bone in her hand. "Whatever it takes to get out of here."

Vezzarress smiled. "What about you?" He turned his attention back to Miranda. "Still looking for answers?" He sits back on his chair and finished whatever was left of his chicken.

"Great the komodo dragon is a sage." Miranda said, she never was very religious then again most Lyrans weren't. They believed in their own power and not those of an imaginary beings or some sort of all guiding force. It was bullshit and stories parents told their kids to get them to behave. "Anymore words of wisdom oh mighty mystic?" Miranda said, feigning interest.

"As for surviving, I'm Lyran I will do whatever it takes. Stay out of my way and I will stay out of yours." Miranda said, pushing her bowl away. She wasn't morally against eating meat but didn't like the idea of eating something that had been defiled by someone else. Instead she picked up a water bottle she had grabbed from Saunders and took a swig of it. The water had a light minty taste to it thanks to the mint leaves she had broken up and dropped into it.

Winter scoffed as she watched Miranda returned back to her own little area. She looked around finally finished eating the chicken leg and tossed it to the empty bin nearby.

"Snotty rich bitch." she mumbled, and then looked at the other woman who asked about her drones. "So...you still planning to stay behind the line in your little safety box of chemicals and tech?" she asked childishly. She even leaned forward to flick her ear.

“Fuck off, jarhead.” Sayori replied, batting the younger woman’s hand away irritably. Other than waking up in the same cryo bay, she still knew next to nothing about the other woman, and she wasn’t in the mood for her hazing games. She knew her own value.

"I'm sure it's too dangerous for nerds to be in the field, I mean I haven't seen one fire a gun yet."

Sayori felt an ugly lurch in her stomach, remembering (faces) how she had simply frozen and dropped her gun as the (fucking faces) biomechanical horror reared up to slaughter them all. The memory made her angry, and want to lash out.

“I don’t think firing guns on its own did the crew much good so far.” she shot back, caustically. “Or hadn’t you noticed?”

"How about growing some balls and do something about it!?" Winter spat back after hearing her reply.

Sayori scrunched up her face. “What do you think we’re here for, idiot?”

"This is why grunts and nerds don't mix!!" Winter shouted out loud. She took several steps towards the smaller woman. Sayori flinched back a little in alarm and began to rise from her seat, but the soldier only reached out and grabbed her hand and by force shoved her sidearm into it.

"If I'm gonna be watching your back out there I need to know if you’re gonna watch mine instead of letting it get mauled by some ugly ass freak out there. Here!"

Cursing her own racing heartbeat, Sayori placed the gun down on the table beside her. Sure, she wanted to say. Maybe now I’ll let you use the drone as a shield instead of the other way round, idiot.

Instead, she simply crossed her arms and legs with a defensive scowl. “What’s your problem?” She circled her head to indicate everything around them. “Apart from the fucking obvious?”

"My problem is none of your damn business!" Winter reached out for the gun on the table with her metal arm. The arm flinched a little as she pulled back and holstered the gun. She took a step back and crossed her arms. "Fucking nerds."

She could hear her superior over her shoulder. It was obvious the officer was telling her to fall back in line. Winter was used to these kind of situations. Before she walked away she took another look at the doctor.

"You better make yourself useful out there. I’d hate to see you get dragged off by a freak."

Sayori made an elaborate charade of rolling her eyes. “As long as you find a way to do something useful too.”

After her last comment, Winter walked back to her own spot and leaned up against the wall. Sayori scraped her chair back around to face the table, pointedly looking away from the marine. She chewed her tongue as she felt the blood burning hot in her cheeks and ears.

'Fucking idiots. We're all gonna die out here...why did I even bothered to agree to come to this hell hole?' Speaking to her own mind, she figured she wasn't gonna get any more answers if she spoke them out loud. Winter sighs softly and leans her head back again'st the wall. 'I think I prefer to be at a gun range than here.'

`、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)

Iona frowned, staring at the squabbling team members and silently ran a risk assessment.

*Previous fight alerted berzerkers
    *Continued fighting will alert berserkers
    *Both were soldiers
    *Both have defied orders against further contact
    *Risk of discovery 65%
    *Removal of one factor reduces discovery by 15%.
    *Removal of two factors reduces discovery by 30%
    *Removal of one factor reduces party effectiveness by 20%
    *Removal of two factors reduces party effectiveness by 45%

*Recommended course of action - plan for discovery, use disruptive factors for distraction value.
    *Recommended course of action - induce cooperation from disruptive factors.

"You were once enemies," Iona said, turning to address them. "A greater enemy is out there, who can do worse than just kill you. They can keep you alive as they consume you."

"If we do not succeed, this group will perish. If this group perishes, we will never be able to return. We will become part of them. For the success of this mission, you need to work together."
    Spoiler: ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ √Ăłł Єѵïł ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ 

The Last Remembrancer
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

"WINTERS!"

Gaea slammed her fist into the table, making it jump, dragging everyone's attention back.

"For once, I agree with the Sentinax. If we don't work together, we all die. Get with the program! You think staying behind is some kind of privilege? You know how many techs we've lost to psych, to burnout? How many of the poor bastards might have survivors guilt, do you think? When they fuck up, we die, but they get to hear us die and they know THEY are responsible. And when you can think your way out of a fucking paper bag, you can stay behind with the brain trust and fix the million and one problems we have! You're a fucking jarhead, winters, you aren't paid to think, you're paid to be gods own killing machine until I say you can die! Until then, and this goes for all of you, sort your shit out!"

"Welp. This is going to be fun." Davrry drawled. "Come on. Lets get to the airlock."

+++++

Sayori was drawn aside by by Nikos as the group moved out of the room.

"You don't have to go." He held up a hand to forestall a response. "But we'd like you to. We should be able to thread a feed from here to the Drones we are deploying, but that feed will be passing through a chokepoint. If it gets cut, we'll lose the whole drone team. Call the risk 70/30 in our favour. If the team have to collapse a junction to cover a retreat, or seal a section, or vent a section, we will lose the drones. Its rare, but it does happen."

Davrry, watching the others file out, turned and smiled at Sayori. "Don't let what Winters said get under your skin, mind. We aren't expecting you to be some action hero, and you are way more useful back here making new toys for me." He smiled. "But come on, you know you want to see the brains of this beast, right?"

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

Sayori was shoving her PDA and interface discs irritably back into the zip pockets of her overalls when Garrick gently plucked at her elbow and pulled her aside.

"You don't have to go." He held up a hand to forestall a response. "But we'd like you to. We should be able to thread a feed from here to the drones we are deploying, but that feed will be passing through a chokepoint. If it gets cut, we'll lose the whole drone team."

Sayori pursed her lips. She had never been a fan of single points of failure, and she could see the sense behind it. But she was scared too. Going out there, even with the others, was to walk back into the Berserkers' territory. There were a hundred things that could go wrong; a hundred ways to get separated or ambushed or trapped. And then it would be her skinless face socketed into a Berserker's underside, shrieking at the next poor soul to cross its path.

She didn't want to admit it in front of Garrick - not when he had already been facing down these things for two years, and not when he had already gambled his own life once to rewrite his cryo-pod's nanobots, on what had probably been worse than a 70:30 chance in his favour.

"But come on." Davrry put in with a smile. He was friendly, by Lyran standards; this rifleman who had shot down two of the Hunters attacking them in their headlong flight back to the safe-house. "You know you want to see the brains of this beast, right?"

If there's anything left of them. Sayori thought. She wanted to be able to say it was duty that made her nod, but really it was just pride. "I'm coming with you."
    Spoiler: My RP links 

PM me for novelised versions of any of my RPs, or ones that I have participated in. Set by the awesome Karma.

The Last Remembrancer
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

"I'm coming with you."

"Good. Good." Nikos nodded, then turned away. For a second, he seemed almost about to change his mind, then he flicked his gaze to Davrry.

"Look after them, Dav. Bring them back."

"You know me doc." Davrry slapped the professor on the back.

"I don't make promises I can't keep."

+++++

The party slipped out into the guts of the Elcano. Gaea was on point, with Sayori's drones pushed out and behind the party, ready to provide an early warning. Trailing behind Gaea were Sinclair and Sayori, who were the 'principals' for this run. In the middle, Iona and Vezzarres shepherded a pair of the mule drones, which paused every 100 meters to lay a small, discreet transmitter into the deck. On the way back, hopefully, they would be laden with supplies to feed the autofac and the kitchen. Bringing up the rear, Davrry was barely visible to even to Sayori's drones, which had been modified with extended sensor arrays and powerful electronic camouflage systems.

"Its like he's stalking us." Sayori muttered over the comms.

"He is." Gaea responded, turning back to look at Sayori, her helmet blank and impassive, much like her voice. "We're the stalking horse. If he spots something, he can deal with it."

+++++

"This is tight." grumbled Vezzarres. The Jefferies tubes seemed to extend throughout the whole mass of the ship, but unlike the rest of the vessel, they had not suffered as much battle damage and aggressive recycling. Gaea had commented that they made a good way to get somewhere, but they didn't like using them to escape from a Berserker. Fighting in corridors was bad enough, but fighting in a tight, confined tunnel would be worse. The bulky Dragonoid had to fold his wings tight against his back to stop them snagging and catching on every protruding panel and pipe. The mules had transitioned from a four legged mode, to a eight legged one, each pair of legs braced against a different wall. It was disturbing, but an effective way of moving.

The drones detected them through heat before they could see them. Sayori brought both the drones to a halt, idling their functions down so they produced minimal emissions, before sending the information to Gaea.

+We've come too far to abort.+ Gaea whispered into the comms as the group paused, drank electrolytes and checked equipment. It had taken five hours to get this close to the bridge, and as they approached the core of the ship the temperature had risen. A bad sign: it meant the reactor was operating without proper shielding. +Its only two of them. I can eliminate them both before they can call for help.+

+There aren't many others about out here." Davrry agreed. He was half a kilometer back now from the junction above the bridge they were. "Two recyclers picking over an equipment bay, maybe half a dozen other auto's.+

+Right. Winter, Sinclair, move the group up, regardless, weapons up, in 180 seconds on my go signal+

Gaea picked up her rifle, a heavy THARsis Armouries Mattock99 DMR, and slipped ahead. Sayori had the strange sensation of watching the elemental leave, then seeing her arrive as she reached the forward drones.

+Go.+

Gaea dropped onto the bridge, her fall slowed so it was as soundless as a whisper. The two hunters snapped into life anyway, and lunged for her. Gaea focused, her suit roaring into life and slamming both of the beserkers to the deck. Two loud gunshots followed, drilling neat, precise holes into each drones heart. The elemental stood, and drew a heavy shotgun pistol, pumping a round of armour shredding flechettes into each twitching robot to smash any back up transmitters.

Winter and Sinclair dropped in behind her, weapons tight to shoulders.

+No transmissions or movement Gaea. You've got time+ Davrry sounded as calm as ever. Gaea nodded and pulled her helmet clear, revealing hair slicked to her skull by sweat.

"Alright people. Vez, Iona, dig in. Fungibles first. Sinclair, use the the codes we gave you to check our position and the ships status. Winter, perimeter with me. Doc, get your drones into place for extraction."

Gaea stalked to a console, wiping old, dried blood from its screen. She pulled a compact memory block from her belt, loaded with a pre-built, automated retrieval program, which she plugged into the reader.

"Cicero?"

+We're in. 30 minutes Uni. . .Gaea.+

"Make it faster please."

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

They moved as fast as they could, but as fast as they could still felt agonisingly slow. Their little column moved in leapfrog: Sayori walking the scouting drone forward, the group advancing behind it, and then the backstop drone moving up behind them. It was methodical, and it was much easier on herself to move the drones in sequence instead of juggle them together, but it was nerve-wracking to crawl through the exposed corridors, and then through the Jefferies tubes that wormed further and further away from the safe haven of the hideout.

She didn’t regret volunteering (don’t be stupid), but all the same she felt vulnerable. This wasn’t their ship any more. She was stealing through alien corridors like some kind of fugitive, with no protection but her companions and the stun-gun strapped to her hip, no provisions except what she carried on her scrounged, frayed webbing, and not even any bathroom comforts except the absorbent spacewalker’s undersuit she wore beneath her overalls.

Focusing on the immediate, practical demands of her role helped. Advance. Stop. Scan. Nod to Gaea. Creep forward. Switch link. Scan. Advance. Stop. And so it went, the squad stretching and bunching like a caterpillar.

The crawling pace of their advance began to fray on Sayori's nerves, along with the unwelcome list of bugs that became apparent as she walked the drones through their paces. The pre-mapped muscle memory of the drones kept trying to advance at a normal walking speed, sometimes causing them to lurch forward with what felt like spine-jarringly loud steps until Sayori reined them back in with another command pulse. And even those slow, pistoning footfalls sounded too loud in the silent corridors.

That was what got to her the most, Sayori realised. The quiet. The interdeck sections between the hideout and the bridge seemed to have been untouched by the Berserkers, but all of the sounds that had assaulted Sayori's ears in the days before the jump were gone. The steady hubbub of voices competing to be heard over each other, the blaring of Julian's tannoy announcements, the tramp of crewmen rushing to and fro. Even the thrum and rattle of the air circulators. It wasn't peaceful quiet. It was graveyard quiet.

Sayori had muted her drones' audio feed so she wouldn't miss any comms bursts from Gaea or Davvry, but she still found herself straining her ears, as if she could turn the dancing waveforms and directional tags on the edges of her vision into real sound. All she heard was her own heartbeat, and the steady click-click, click-click of the robot mules stalking along behind her. The translucent strip-visor perched across her eyes was murky blue, with lines of yellow showing the subdued heat-glow of light panels and cable flats. Cicero had advised her that infrared was the fastest way to detect the Berserkers. Their biomechanical bodies dumped large amounts of heat from their reactors and servos, the Sentinax had said. Ten minutes ago her drones' sensors had detected two of them slithering through the deck 12 bio-lab, scratching and snuffling among the equipment. But there were three layers of walls between them and the squad, and the ugly red heat-traces had faded into nothing without looking up as the fugitive organics crept by.

Sayori chewed the inside of her cheek, and tapped her haptic-gloved thumb against her pinkie to clear the overlay from her visor, bringing Gaea and the others back into view in front of her. She resisted the urge to clear her dry throat as she nodded the twenty third all clear to their Elemental leader, and they advanced through another winding section of interdeck tunnel. She squeezed her thumb to her middle fingertip to link to her backstop drone, and her visor blued over again, this time splotched with the heat signatures of herself and her fellow humans up ahead. Turning her head and allowing her interface disc to pulse the same movement through to the backstop drone, her view lit up as the sensor feed tagged the breadcrumb trail of transmitters stretching away behind them. Further back, a good five hundred metres behind them now, was Davvry. The Lyran's sinuous, panther-like movements barely rippled the audio waveform at the bottom of Sayori's vision, and even his heat signal was blurred, faded by whatever insulating armour he had chosen to wear. He was like a ghost lurking at the edge of perception; insubstantial and full of silent, almost menacing grace.

"It's like he's stalking us." Sayori muttered over the comms.

"He is." Gaea responded, turning back to look at Sayori. Her helmet was blank and impassive, much like her voice. "We're the stalking horse. If he spots something, he can deal with it."

Sayori had seen Davvry blow two of the sickle-clawed Hunters apart with her own eyes, but unease still coiled inside her stomach; like a slimy, restless worm. It's constantly learning.

Their hopes that there might still be other survivors holed up in the bridge were dashed when they finally reached it. The vast round chamber was devoid of life and energy signatures. Sayori could pick out the dull heat-smudges of wall screens and dead computer banks, and the raised command dais with its tripod of ladders, and the forlorn, empty interface chair where captain Severt had once sat. But there was no living thing left.

Or at least, nothing fully organic.

Sayori saw them at once: two murder-red shapes against her drone’s heat vision - hunched, skeletal, nosing among the consoles like jackals on the prowl.

"Stop." she whispered, reaching out to touch Gaea's armoured shoulder. "There's two of them down in the bridge. Hunters."

Sayori belatedly realised that the drone round the corner had extended its own arm, mirroring her gesture. She was suddenly very aware of the interface disc tick tick tick-ing against her temple. They can't hack the signal. she repeated to herself, biting her tongue. Cicero's self-policing codes were impervious, that's what he said.

It's hostile, invasive, and constantly learning. That's what Gaea said.

She tapped a sequence with her fingertips to power the drones down to idle and kill the control link. Just because the Berserkers couldn't hack them, that didn't mean they couldn't detect them - or her own control signals beaming through like a beacon against the dead metal around her.

She looked at Gaea. The last Berserkers had been several corridors away, but their current path took them right over the bridge, and they would have to drop down to access Julian's core through the command mainframe. "What do we do?"

"We've come too far to abort." Gaea whispered.

+ + + + +

"Doc, get your drones into place for extraction."

Sayori was shaking with adrenaline, even though she hadn't been part of the brief firefight. She worked some moisture back into her sand-dry mouth, and swallowed.

"On it." she answered Gaea, and tapped her drone link back into active mode. The backstop nearly surged forward again and she slowed its walk with a bitten-back curse. She couldn’t even re-map the thought pulses the drones responded to - that was the entire point of Cicero’s new failsafe. She had tried to fit a week’s worth of programming into one hectic night, and the cracks were showing. Sayori had done as well as anyone could have - probably better - but she still hated with a passion anything that reminded her she was less than foolproof.

Later. She settled down next to the ingress point and tried to remotely recalibrate the sensor feeds beaming through to her visor. The background had shifted from blues and purples to a murky yellow, and she could feel the warmer temperature of the ambient air prickling her skin.

“Why’s it so warm in here?” she radioed as she narrowed the gradient of the sensor feed, fuzzing her vision back into sharply delineated blues and amber-reds.
    Spoiler: My RP links 

PM me for novelised versions of any of my RPs, or ones that I have participated in. Set by the awesome Karma.

Hell Knight of RPA
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

"Because of the reactor." Vezzarres slightly growled as he walked past Dr. Sayori. He looked up to the reactor to examine it cautiously. "Without a proper shielding and cooling system...this thing is practically a heater but if it gets any hotter it will melt down and cause all other functions to cease." He slowly growled and looked around the area to find any parts to scavenge. "Plus I becareful of what you breathe in...reactors are still radiated...I can handle it but you will need a radiation suit if you want to survive." He walked around and noticed several lockers nearby. He walked slowly to them to take a closer look and see whats inside. He pulled the door and noticed the locker wasn't completely emptied. He finds a large weapon most likely used by a Dragonoid. But not only that he finds marks.

Vezzarres finds in one of the equipment lockers, a series of 'claw speak' marks. Its not an experts hand. (claw speak is like modern day calligraphy, its an old art dying off) but its easy to read the following words.

Planet

Safe

History

Ruin

Hope.

Only a Dragonoid would know to leave these marks. His large hand covered over the marks and gives a slight brush over the words. He lowered his head and sighs softly. "My warriors were here." He muttered softly. He takes the rifle and placed it on his back and looked over his shoulder. "They left their heavy weapons here." He searched another locker and finds a handgun laying there with a few thermal clips. He picked up the weapon and the ammo and looked at Dr. Sayori. He noticed she was still carrying the stun gun from before. He growled softly and walked over to the human female.

"Here." He said gently and hands the gun over. "You will need this and it will be a lot better than that thing." He pointed at the stun gun. He returned to his duty to find more things to scavenge especially what Gaea wanted him to find first. Parts and pieces that didn't look to damaged or erupted. He packed the mules with certain items they could use and replace back at home base. "Hey kid." He looked around for the Sentinax. "Find anything?" He asked curiously.

+++++

Once she witnessed her commanding officer take out the two targets she smiled at her work and followed suit behind her. With her finger on the trigger she waited for new orders to be given.

"Winter, perimeter with me."

She kept the butt on her shoulder and followed Gaea. "Aye aye." She said and looked around the room. Checking other areas to secure the perimeter. She finds empty boxes laying around and continued moving quietly as the barrel of her gun aimed in front of her. Some parts of the room was dark and Winter had forgotten to attach a light to her gun. She looked around using her bad feeling senses. Though she really did had a bad feeling about it.

"Area clear." She said softly on the comm. link. "I have a bad feeling about this Sarge." She said softly once more.
    Last edited by MidKnight; 07-20-2018 at 10:17 PM.

Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast