Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 1112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: [M] Galactic Empires II

The Last Remembrancer
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Modern times or Sci-Fi games.
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

"Will we wind up infesting the crew aboard the Elcano with the same nanites that have infected the crew on the surface?"

Sayori glanced left as if listening to something, then shook her head. “Not enough atmospheric concentration. And in us, they can only replicate at self-sustaining levels inside bone marrow. Any we shed would die before they could affect anyone else.”

"Even if we did, it would be worth it to seal the gate." Severt muttered. "We can't afford these horrors attacking our civilians back home. As for the shuttle, its about mass, not volume. Too much mass and the engine has to burn too hot to make orbit, and you get spotted. However, Iona right? Why don't you pick the shuttle over and see what can be ditched here. If we can pack in an extra body it might make all the difference. You'll need to make about 100kg of weight saving to allow us to get one more fully strapped marine aboard and not have it affect the stealth systems."

“You look like something ate you and threw you up.” Miranda said, leaning against a cave wall and chuckling at her own joke, despite how morbid and true the joke was. She didn't trust this weapon the scientist was talking about building but it had been made clear no one cared about her opinion. So she didn't object anyone. “When do we leave?”

"Soon." Severt interjected, keeping an eye on Miranda. "We have about four hours before the Elcano will be back overhead. So lets call it three. Get moving people."

+++++

The camp was abuzz with activity, the caves echoing to booted feet and pre-combat drills. Despite their long marooning on the surface, the team being prepared to go back, 10 heavily armed marines, were being quick and professional, stripping weight and making sure every last item they were carrying was essential.

During the preparations, Severt drew Sayori aside.

"Regardless of your feelings on coming back for people, which are appreciated, there is no guarantee that killing that bastard super-capital will actually shut down the other berserker units. If you can't come back for us safely, I want you to take this."

The captain pressed a data chip into Sayoris hand.

"Its my final report. It has recommendations on military action to the Concert races to prepare for these Berserkers if they do get access to our galaxy. You and Nikos need to make sure they take it seriously if I don't make it back."

She paused, before handing over another small chip.

"This is more personal, for my husband and sons. I have a copy, but. . . just in case."

+++++

As Miranda wandered the camp, someone approached from her side. A pilot, by his jumpsuit, with dusky skin, black hair and piercing blue eyes, like chips of ice.

"Well well well, Miranda Clark." The mans southern drawl remained undamaged, even if his face had taken a shrapnel wound at some point that left him with a grizzly scar from the left side of his mouth up to his temple. "I'm glad to see someone with some sense has survived." He bowed slightly. "I don't think I introduced myself properly last time. Jack Orrik, the shuttle pilot crazy enough to get the command crew to the ground in one piece." He sneered around the last few words. "Not that I was up for running at the time. What's your story? How'd you end up babysitting some scientists?"

+++++

The young Dragonoid led Vezarres, Winters and Iona back down the mountain, using a set of tunnels that opened on a concealed entrance. Several mules followed him, unladen, ready to receive anything they stripped from the shuttle to improve its carrying capacity. Davrry and the Charabidian sentry who had challenged them at the cave mouth both rode on one and seemed to be chatting amiably about the local game, ignoring the others.

"I've learnt much in my time on this radioactive rock." The young warrior growled. "I feel like this mission has turned me from a fledgling to a warrior. I have killed dozens of the spawn, and had to relearn how to kill them each time. And this place has beasts that put the berserkers to shame."

As they reached the cave mouth, which itself was a small forward observation base and cache, carefully hidden by an artfully woven and welded collection of leaves and branches, they all heard something heavy and large move and breath outside. Sometimes the sound of its breathing was interspersed with a whine like an electric saw powering up.

"Like one of those." The young warrior growled quietly. "The humans call them a buzzsaur. Can you smell that battery tang? It is marking its territory."

Davrry had dismounted and joined the front of the group. "So, big guy, do we chase this thing off, or kill it?"

"Kill it." The young Dragonoid snorted. "When wounded they enter a battle rage. And they are fiercely territorial. The best way would be for me and the elder to distract it. Then, you and the sentinax kill it. You have to hit it in the side or an eye. Its front scales are a ceramic composite, heavy and tough."

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

The camp was abuzz with activity, the caves echoing to booted feet and pre-combat drills. Despite their long marooning on the surface, the team being prepared to go back, 10 heavily armed marines, were being quick and professional, stripping weight and making sure every last item they were carrying was essential.

A static gear in the middle of all the moving parts, Sayori was working away in her usual way: nose scrunched, tongue pressed firmly against her top lip. A replacement ox-tank and helmet were stacked at the side of the fabricator unit, but she hadn’t bothered to put them on. There seemed to be little point in keeping the indigenous nanobots out of her system now, and she would need the air for the flight back: Cronus hadn’t gone so far as to make her immune to hard vacuum, it seemed.

Sayori stood up, re-rolled the jumpsuit sleeve that was slipping down her elbow, and examined the device that she had built from the schematics Cronus had implanted in her head. She turned it over in her hands, and twisted her mouth at it.

“I dunno.” she said aloud, to no-one in particular. “Still looks more like a TV remote than a gun to me.”

And it’s still missing a piece.

She spied Kalyn Severt threading through the crowd towards her, and pocketed the Berserker override device as she turned to meet the Lyran.

“Captain.” She could see herself reflected dimly in Severt’s glassy-red eyes. Sayori glanced down at her own silver-veined hands, and wondered what her first encounter with a mirror would bring. She dissembled the thought by hitching up a smile. “We’ll hopefully see you again soon, huh?”

Severt drew Sayori aside. “Regardless of your feelings on coming back for people, which are appreciated, there is no guarantee that killing that bastard super-capital will actually shut down the other Berserker units.”

“Cronus said that it would.” Sayori started to argue. “He said no more Berserker drones.”

“Correction.” the computer instance in her ear intoned. “The spawn of Zeus will no longer be acting as his drones. They may shutdown, or they may revert to a feral state. In the latter case they would be unable to coordinate a pursuit through the Gate, but they could still act aggressively towards any sapients who remained in the vicinity.”

Severt must have read the uncertainty on Sayori’s face. “If you can't come back for us safely, I want you to take this."

The captain pressed a data chip into Sayori’s hand.

"It’s my final report. It has recommendations on military action for the Concert races to prepare for these Berserkers, if they do get access to our galaxy. You and Nikos need to make sure they take it seriously if I don't make it back."

Sayori nodded, brushing the chip with her thumb. “We’ll do it.”

She pushed the chip into her breast pocket and velcroed it shut.

“I’ll make copies as soon as we’re clear. One for Nikos, one for Gaea, and a redacted warning to leave at the Gate, for anyone the Concert might have sent after us in the last two years.”

Severt paused, before handing over another small chip.

“Don’t copy this one. This is more personal, for my husband and sons. I have a copy, but... just in case.

Sayori looked down at the second chip, instinctively holding it a little more delicately than the first. Much like with Gaea, she wasn’t quite sure how to respond.

It distilled everything, she mused - this mission, this situation - even for relative strangers. Their humanity. And their animosity. Sayori glanced around at the thought, but Miranda didn’t seem to be among the faces in the main camp. She wondered where they would be now if she hadn’t volunteered to take the Lyran’s place.

Severt was still looking at her, the red sheen of her eyes making her difficult to read.

Trust, Sayori thought. It was nice to be trusted. She looked down again at her biomechanical hands. All things considered.

“I’ll make sure they get it.” she said gravely, pushing Severt’s second chip into the opposing breast pocket. It was only after she had said it that she realised the difference between that and her promise to Gaea. Not just I’ll fucking try, but I’ll fucking make sure.

It sounded dangerously like optimism, that.

“Is there anything else you want me to pass on?” she added, on a sudden impulse. “From you or from the others?”
    Last edited by Azazeal849; 08-01-2019 at 10:12 PM.
    Spoiler: My RP links 

PM me for novelised versions of any of my RPs, or ones that I have participated in. Set by the awesome Karma.

Hell Knight of RPA
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Following the small convoy to their destination. He listened to the young warrior of his kills and how to relearn how to kill the next one. He lets out a small snort with a nod. "Good." He said. "Finally you are adapting to different natures of your kill. Smart move to do." He grinned for a second as though he was smiling. Proud of the young warrior he had met before who now is becoming a full adult in his prime.

When they arrived to their location. He carefully creep'd behind some cover and looked at the new creature they had found.
    "Like one of those." The young warrior growled quietly. "The humans call them a buzzsaur. Can you smell that battery tang? It is marking its territory." Vez snarled at the sight and smell of it. Once he heard that he and the young warrior can distract it and learned about it's nature. He grinned again.

The old Dragonoid moved his head around popping the bones of his neck as each one was loud enough to be heard. "This will a be great challenge for any Dragonoid." Then he chuckled as he looked among the others. "Keep your distance. This monster looks slow and clumsy." He looked to the young warrior and gives a small nod. "Let's fly around first, I wanna see how far his reach can get and fast he really is." He looked to some trees and started climbing on one slowly.

Winters checked her ammo box and gear before settling in position. "Slug rounds ready." She whispered and looked to Davrry. "Good thing I upgraded this little bad boy huh?" She smirked and aimed the end of the barrel at the machine. "I'll fire first once those two get it's attention." She aimed and waited.

Vez climbed to the highest peak before looking down and snarled softly. His inner warrior burned in his heart as he felt the adrenaline kicking in. He spreads his wings and hopped from the tree. His wings flapping hard as he was near the ground and swooped towards the machine. He roared loudly with his lungs as he moved straight down to attempt a strike. He passed barely scratching the surface. He kept his distance in the air and away from the machine as he looked for a flaw.

Winters fired several rounds to the sides hoping to make a dent. Pulling the trigger and reloading another shell in the chamber. "That thing can take a beating, I'll give'em that." She muttered to herself and continued to fire off rounds.
    Last edited by MidKnight; 08-08-2019 at 06:31 PM.

`、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)

"Is this necessary?" Iona frowned as they attacked the beast.

The Buzzsaur, however, seemed unfazed by claws or slugs. She needed options.

Possible attacks
    Conversion

Use nanites to convert Buzzsaur mass
    Must spread out to form a mesh
    Could only cover a third of the beast
    Conversion would be slow
    Possible contamination issue
    Vulnerable to other attacks

Impalement
    Assume role of target
    Divert mass to make anchor
    1/3rd of available mass
    Buzzsaur charges
    Shapechange to spear
    Impale Buzzsaur
    Attack from within

Vulnerable to other attacks
    May not be able to impale

Trap
    Convert soil to make pit
    Buzzsaur falls in
    Threat ended
    Unable to properly conceal actions
    May need decoy
    Vunerable to other attacks

Divert
    Consume mass
    Mirror Buzzsaur
    Territory challenged
    Others attack flanks

"I regret this action," Iona sighed, calculating the available chances.

She stepped out, hoping to attract its attention while a third of her mass shifted into the ground as a massive spike.
    Spoiler: ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ √Ăłł Єѵïł ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ 

The Last Remembrancer
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

The buzzsaur was aptly named, looking like the unholy offspring of a late cretaceous theropod and an industrial crusher. Its teeth moved back and forth in its jaw like the cutting blades of a chainsaw, and its tail ended in a massive, wrecker-ball like club. Unlike a terran theropod, its forelimbs were long and terminated in shear like claws backed by straining muscle, and its back, neck and head were armoured in heavy, ceramic plates, which themselves were interspersed with iron hard quills a meter in length.

It roared at the two Dragonoids who circled around it, and when they got closer, bellow like sacs produced a great spray of acidic mist that drove them both back. Winters plugged several heavy rounds into the creatures flank, and it turned on the terran and began to thunder towards her, its tail thrashing back and forth. Winters dashed past Iona, who stood her ground. The angry beast slammed its armoured head into the Sentinaxs side to knock her away, and reeled away in pain and confusion as Iona stayed rooted in the ground, just. It stepped back and went to spray Iona in acid, but a round from Davrry's rifle slammed into its head, distracting it again but not killing it. Blood like thick, black treacle poured from a wound just above its eye.

"If it bleeds, we can kill it!" Davrry yelled, scrambling away from the monster as it turned its attention on eating him.
    Last edited by dakkagor; 08-26-2019 at 06:04 PM.

`、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)

WARNING
    3% Structural Damage
    Recycling damaged nanites

Combat Assessment
    Possible Chemical Attack
    Additional Mass Required

"What do you know about this 'Buzzsaur' that you've not told us?" Iona demanded as her crumpled side began restoring itself. "It look like it was gong to spit."

Poison or mucus would not be an issue - but she doubted anything on this planet would be so simple.

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

“Is there anything else you want me to pass on?” she added, on a sudden impulse. “From you or from the others?”

"I'll make sure that if anyone has letters to send home, you get them. It feels like bad luck though, like assuming we won't get home." Severt rubbed the back of her neck. "The problem with soldiers is we all end up superstitious bastards."

The captain forced a smile, but with her blood red eyes it was slightly disturbing.
    Sayori wondered again what her own eyes really looked like now. She really needed a mirror, to see her new self. Or rather, to see what others saw.

“I do have one more thing for you to look into.” Severt said after a moment. “When you got defrosted, Davrry said there was someone in your party with you. A Terran male, named Jason Ysthmir.”

Sayori scrunched her nose, trying to recall. “The tech? What about him?”

“I have no files on him, from the Elcano's database or from the background checks I asked the LEIS to run on the crew."

She handed a datapad to Sayori, with a file open of the man in question. Apart from a poorly lit, fuzzy picture, his basic statistics, and his name, the file was filled with garbage data, clearly corrupted.

Sayori frowned at it. “Damaged, maybe? Julian hasn’t exactly been having an easy time up there.”

Severt shook her head. “Look at the photo, though. Do you know how hard you have to work to take a photo that bad these days? Between that and the lack of information, I think Jason is a Terran spook, probably for the Office of Naval Intelligence. That means he has as much clearance as our Elementals, and his report will reach the highest levels of Terran government. But Davrry has no memory of him beyond being sure he was woken up with you."

Sayori cast her mind back to the cryo deck, choked with wreckage and corpse stink. She remembered Gaea and Nevarn, cutting through the nightmare with sharp commands. She remembered Iona, hiding in the form of a simple maintenance drone, and Vez, immediately reaching for a weapon. She remembered Clarke and Stratford, overwhelmed, turning on each other (Not much change there). Jason had been coughing and shaking as he stumbled from his pod, as disoriented as everyone else. But she couldn’t remember seeing the man after they had made it to the hideout. Admittedly she had been distracted by Garrick and his new face, but until now she had simply assumed that the tech had gone to make himself useful among the work crews.

“You really think he’s with ONI?” Sayori pressed, still skeptical. On top of everything else, were there spies working on the ship too? That didn’t seem to make a lot of sense. She checked herself almost immediately - actually, on this ship, on this mission, it made rather a lot of sense indeed.

Severt just looked at her levelly, and something in the Lyran’s sober expression convinced her.

“Alright. What do you need me to do?”

"If you can, find him. Make sure he debriefs you, and anyone else that you think might have key strategic information. Getting this information into multiple channels will save lives."
    Spoiler: My RP links 

PM me for novelised versions of any of my RPs, or ones that I have participated in. Set by the awesome Karma.

The Last Remembrancer
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

+++Meanwhile+++

Tris inched his way through the undergrowth. Fronds etched with micro-solar cells brushed on his mottled green skin suit. The feel was disturbingly like being naked. His skin had developed new senses of kinaesthesia, adding an awareness of his advanced suit to the awareness of his bodies position in space. He could, for lack of a better word, 'feel' right through his suit. It was a common complaint from the survivors, and he counted himself lucky that his suit hadn't bonded to his skin. Yet.

He pulled a sensor drone from his webbing and tossed it into the air. With a near silent hum, it wobbled in the air for a moment before gliding away from him. He followed it, stopping at the top of a slope, at the bottom of which was a stream.

As he'd suspected, hoped, he wasn't alone. Down at the waters edge, a family of diamond-backs drank from the water. A pair of yearlings, from the shine on their carapace, and a large female. Nearby, a huge male with an impressive spread of antlers watched the jungle intently.

Diamond-backs looked like a curious blend of horse and beetle. Armoured in shiny black, carbon rich plate, they where the largest herbivores they had encountered yet, though there seemed to be an indication of much larger, sauropod like grazers down in the valleys.

The drone started to record, hovering over the small group as Tris observed. He wanted to paint one with a radium tracker so they could get a better handle on their habits. An ecological survey like this was as good a way to spend time while they were trapped as any.

+Tris, where the heck are you?+

Tris started at Ella's voice, and fumbled with the paint gun in his hands. Startled by the noise, the female diamond-back and the yearlings turned and fled back into the jungle. For a second, the male fixed him with its glowing eyes, almost daring him to do anything, before it too and turned and followed its family at a more stately pace.

+Tris, there has been a serious development. Get your ass back to base camp now.+

When he got back to the base, Ella was waiting for him. The briefing was short, and to the point. Not only had survivors come down from the Elcano but one of the crazy-ass scientists had struck some kind of deal with Chronus, bonding deeply with the aliens tech and being given the tools for a plan to deal with the monster in orbit.

"And we're sending you back with the first team." Ella hadn't mentioned that the 'first team' might also be the 'last team' they could evacuate, but the implication was there. "You are our resident expert on this planet, and they'll need your insight back in the milky way. Pack your gear, and get ready for a shuttle ride."

Domina Noctis
    Fantasy and Scifi
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Stopping in mid-step she turned to who was speaking to her. He looked familiar but she couldn't quite place where. Truthfully he sounded more familiar than he looked. It took a moment then she realized he was the pilot from before the mission when they were getting ready to go into cyro sleep. He had been handsome before with a sort of hard look to him. Now he had a rugged look to him like a grizzled old soldier. Someone who technically wasn't handsome but somehow was attractive. Maybe it was biological, dating back to a primal need to have the strongest mate. Someone who could produce strong children and be able to protect them. He had been through alot and was still standing.

Miranda's mind flashed to the tattoo she had briefly seen in the pilot berth. She took several steps toward him until she was standing closer than what was usually considered polite among humans. Many alien races stood much closer which was always a point of contention with Lyrans. Humans liked their personal space and didn't take kindly to people invading it.

"How did I end up babysitting a bunch of geeks? I overslept." She joked, referencing how her group had woken up quite a bit later than the others. She brushed her hands along the shoulders of his flight suit, it was old and worn. Definitely had seen better days. Trailing her hands down she stopped at the sleeve and pulled it up then traced her finger around the edge of the tattoo on his forearm. "This isn't a popular symbol especially in the company we've been keeping. Got to be a good story about how you ended up here."

"Not much of one." He shrugged. "Got woken up in the second wave, and ran evac shuttles between the Elcano and one of its destroyers when it got overwhelmed. Damn scary stuff." He had a lopsided smile. "And I've kept my politics on the low down. But I wanted to talk to you about that."

He gently grabbed Miranda's arm and drew her aside into a tunnel. He quickly checked to make sure that it was clear.

"So, Sayori did a deal with that monster right? Do you know what that could mean for humanity. United humanity. We could use that tech to put humanity on top for ever. Imagine a whole fleet of those super capitals in orbit, all working to further the interests of mankind, and not the. . ."

He trailed off, and waited, a finger to his lips as a pair of charabidians walked past the tunnels mouth.

"And not the cats, or the toasters, or the elves. We'd conquer the galaxy."

She let him pull her into the tunnel wondering where this was going. It didn't go the direction she thought it would when he started talking about a united humanity. This was something that had been talked about for a long time among both the Lyrans and Terrans but it never seemed to go anywhere. Mostly because despite their shared DNA they were too different. "Sayori is an idiot and should be dead. Hell for all we know she is and that thing is wearing her skin like a Halloween costume." Miranda said, still upset that Chronos had wanted to force itself on her instead of Sayori. She should be thankful to the scientist but wasn't. She didn't ask for it and wasn't going to be grateful for stupidity.

"Last time we tried that it didn't end well." Miranda said, thinking of the war that just ended. Then again humans had a history of repeating their past. It wouldn't be the first time that there would be a global war followed by yet another a couple decades later. Though this time it would be a universal war. Ironically in those wars it both had been started by the same nation. The public opinion of war among Lyrans wasn't good. Many lives had been lost and the world that came out afterward was totally different. "We aren't looking to take over the galaxy, we just want to be left alone to lick our wounds without a puppet government or sanctions put forth by aliens and Terrans."

"Yeah, but with that tech, things would be different. The nano-tech alone on this world would allow us to outfight any Charabidian on the ground. Do you really think that the aliens are ever going to leave the Lyran alliance alone? You proved that humanity is dangerous, and they are scared. They'll keep chains around your pretty neck until the Lyre's star burns out. The Terran government ain't much better, bunch of quislings selling us down river to the xeno rather than taking what should be ours."

He spared another look around before continuing.

"Sayori, whatever it is, it's an asset now. We need to get it to the Lyre First movement. They'll be able to use that skin-job better than the Terrans. Pull it apart, figure out what makes it tick, and use that tech to put humanity on top."

"Whatever the hell she is now she isn't human." Miranda said, thinking about the creature Sayori had become. She looked at him noticing the tech that was apparent in him. "On that note I don't think you are really all that human either. Don't think the Lyre First Movement would want to touch anything that isn't pure. There's cyber mods but you've been hijacked by gods know what." She turned away from the Terran thinking he was rambling about something he didn't have a clue what he was talking about. Another Terran who wished their ancestors had the balls to stand up. A wannabe Lyran.

"You might as well be as much of an alien freak as the fairies, toasters, lizards and cats." Miranda said, with her back to him as she made a dismissive gesture.

There was a flash of anger across his face, and for a second he tensed like he was going to go for Miranda over the insult. Clearly, it had cut deep. Instead, he let out a rattling sigh.

"Fine. I can see they've got to you, you you're not willing to do what needs to be done."

He turned and started to walk away down the tunnel.

"Just stay out of my way!"

Miranda didn't bother with a reply to his insult, instead she just kept walking the other way. She didn't really believe their plan was going to work and thought they were never making it back to their system. So plotting to use Chronos' tech to take over the galaxy was a moot point. Even if they did make it back there was no way they would be able to get Sayori / Chronos away from the Concert. In her mind it wasn't that she had been leashed by the Concert but rather a matter of practicality.

She continued down corridor realizing she was getting hungry. She passed by the cave they were using as a cantina but she wasn't sure that she trusted eating the food on this planet, then she remembered there were some protein pastes in the supplies she had grabbed from the shuttle. Miranda walked into the cantina sitting at a table away from the others not wanting to talk with anyone after the fight with the Kel'Cyre or whatever that was with the Terrain. She reached into the pouch pulling out a anti-radiation injection and a protein tube. The injection was quickly used on her thigh and she ripped open the protein pack sucking out the paste. It tasted a mixture of being bland and one of the most fowl things she had eaten. Protein rations were common in the field and most people just tried to swallow them while trying to not keep them in your mouth long enough to taste.

Looking around the cantina there was a mix races and though none of them outright stared at her she knew they were watching her and probably didn't trust her. It was something she had gotten used to since joining the project. She thought back to the interaction with the Terrain wondering what the hell had just happened. Part of her wondered if it was a test by Captain Severt to see if she could be trusted. If that was the case had she passed or was the Terrain just some idiot who had delusions of grandeur?

Another round of bullets hits my skin. Well, fire away
    Cause today, I won't let the shame sink in. We are bursting through
    the barricades and reaching for the sun.

We Are Warriors

`、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)

The flora where the Buzzsaur had earlier sprayed its "mist" was turning brown.

Combat Assessment
    Acid attack
    Hazardous to organics
    Possible hazard to nanites.

Of course the organics would provoke a beast that was dangerous.

Iona withdrew the anchor, then turned herself into a standing liquid silver blob, which flung itself at the back of the Buzzsaur.

WARNING
    Course of action poses risk of contamination

Don't think about how the native organic is going to taste. Think about sampling their inorganic components.

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 1112131415 ... LastLast