Thread: Let's Fight Aliens! E.S.T.RA. Extra-Solar Threat Response Agency{M}

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Default Let's Fight Aliens! E.S.T.RA. Extra-Solar Threat Response Agency{M}

It's 1999, and the calendar is counting down to the end of one century and the beginning of a new one. It's also counting down the days until the end of the world. But it's not computers, nuclear weapons, or a stock crisis we should be worrying about. It's the Aliens.

In 1947, an unidentified flying object crashed in the New Mexico desert, never reaching it's true destination, some faraway place between the stars. From that moment on, humanities days became numbered as we drew the attention of a malevolent intelligence from the beyond. They found us, they observed us, and they were unimpressed with what we were, but intrigued as to what we could become. The first live human being was abducted in 1955, and many more would come after.

Their first, radical experiments left no survivors, editing an unfamiliar genome is always an inexact science. Adults were too fearful, too violent, prone to physical and psychological damage, so they moved on to children, more docile and more malleable, still developing. Their inexact science became a veritable art, carbon-based life perfect for their purposes owing to it's simplicity. Batches of children were abducted, modified, mind-wiped, and returned from whence they came, collected again every few years for further tailoring to suit their creators purposes.

Now there are hundreds of abductees, scattered across the world. Ticking time-bombs meant to take the vulnerable earth by storm when the time is ripe. The conquest will be accomplished without firing a shot, mankind as we know it will be defeated and replaced by it's created successor. Or at least, that was the plan, anyway. But there are people who already know.

Called crackpots by the world at large, and a few are more than half-mad or simply obsessed, a select group of disgraced scientists, government agents, and military officers have put together the pieces of the puzzle. The abductees have finally grown up and are beginning to show their true nature. Meant to be mankind's destroyers, they may yet become humanity's last, best chance at salvation. But absolutely none of them are prepared for the trials to come, and time is running out.

-The Agency-
    Started as essentially a support-group for cracked-up professionals with a fixation on aliens, people who believed due to something they had seen or heard that they couldn't let go, who were too clean-cut and generally 'respectable' to fit in with the usual crowd of excitable nerds, conspiracy theorists, and general nutcases that make up the 'mainstream' of the 'believer' culture, it's evolved into something more since those early days. While they've all been mocked, fired, and diagnosed, they still have talents, connections, an capital that give them resources above and beyond those of 'normal' people, and pooled their skills into something part-way between a think-tank and secret society.

They call themselves ESTRA. The Extra-Solar Threat Response Agency. Or just The Agency. They have a private facility nestled away in the mountains just outside of Denver, Colorado, a few dozen dedicated employees, and a mission. Unravel the cover-ups, find the proof, and convince the world to do something to prepare for the real and present danger from outside the solar system. It's run by 'The Big Three', who go by code-names internally to avoid exposure, ridicule, and alien interference, and each runs one sector of the agency.

Name:Agent David Reece
    Credentials:Former C.I.A. Special Operations Coordinator
    Code-name: 'Spook'
    Expertise:Espionage experience, government and military connections, access to classified information. In charge of all intelligence-gathering, investigation, and surveillance.

Name: Dr. Vivian Stanton
    Credentials:Genius-Level I.Q., eidetic memory, world-class geneticist, multiple advanced degrees. Certified M.D.
    Code-name:'Mama Doc'
    Expertise:All things 'smart'. Heads up the research and medical staff, and personally supervises the 'Abductee' program, identifying alien-modified individuals,their abilities and limitations. Also takes responsibility for their psychological well-being.

Name: Commander Bennett Hayes
    Credentials:Former S.A.S. Commando
    Code Name:Sir(Yes, Sir!)
    Expertise:In charge of the 'Threat Response' side of things, turns abductees into soldiers by any means necessary.

Abductees(A.K.A You)

In carrying out their master plan, the aliens radically modified the human genome and physiology, creating a 'sucessor race' of Humans, better than their predecessors in every way. No two abductees are quite alike, as there is a 'hard limit' as to how far the human body can be modified before it begins to reject the enhancements and break down, do the Aliens had to settle for a more specialized approach. Generally, these can be broken down into three major 'classes'

Bruisers:Meant to be the first wave in collapsing the human establishment, 'Bruiser'-type abductees have extreme strength and durability, owing to layers of carbon-nanotube reinforcement throughout their skin and bone structure. A genetically-modified pituitary gland optimizes muscular development while a collection of purpose-built organs provide a steady stream of adrenaline and natural painkillers to keep them in the fight.

Officers:Meant to coordinate the Alien takeover and serve as a new leadership upon the collapse of human society, 'Officer'-type abductees are not as physically modified as the bruisers, their strength and endurance no more than double that or the average human stock, but they make up for it in mental enhancements. Their brains are wired for efficiency, within 20% of the physiological limit, meaning each and ever one of them has a genius level I.Q, and a built-in affinity for and understanding of the esoteric working of Alien technology. Owing to their role as leaders, they have specially-designed secondary attributes to improve the effectiveness of their subordinates, such as emitting genetically-engineered pheromones to either improve the fighting prowess and unit cohesion of other abductees, or make the baseline human population more suggestible and obedient.

'Outliers': After the two primary roles were covered, Alien geneticists were given free-reign over the remaining subjects to test the absolute limits of the human genome. Abductees in this class do not have clearly- defined attributes, their abilities being extremely varied, but as a rule, they have nowhere near the strength of 'Bruisers' or the intelligence of 'Officers' unless they are an extreme version of one or the other, say, an absolute juggernaut on the battlefield with the mental acuity of a particularly clever lizard, or a nearly-precognizant super-genius with the musculature of an anemic sixth-grader. If you choose to create an abductee of this type, the only rule is that their abilities must at least loosely compatible with the laws of physics, and that there be some trade-off between their strengths and weaknesses.

Additionally, no two abductees, even within the same 'class' are quite alike, and feel free to put some personal flair into your characters abilities, I'll veto anything I don't like and approve anything that I just plain enjoy the style of. Get creative, think outside-the-box, and please-oh-please don't make a bunch of cliches.

Character Sheet!

Name:(Normal, human names please.)
    Code Name:(Go Crazy, but don't be surprised if other players snicker at your lame-ass choice)
    Age:(16-19, those are the current ages of all viable, combat-ready abductees)
    Appearance:(Image or description, as you like. Nothing too anime, if your hair is some crazy color, it better have come out of a bottle!)
    Background:(The aliens abducted people from anywhere and everywhere, carefully distributed as to avoid arousing suspicion. A crash-course in the English language is included in E.S.T.R.A. orientation so you can all communicate with each other)
    Abductee 'Class':(Which archetype your characters modification fall under.)
    Specific Abilities:(Self explanatory, what's unique even among abductees about your character, as well as the general parameters of their 'standard' set of abilities.)
    Personality:(As much or as little as you like here, just a quick overview so Commander Hayes knows what kind of worhless maggots he's working with)
    Spoiler: The Facility, your new home! 
    Last edited by Damonique; 03-31-2018 at 03:04 AM.

Spoiler: Favorite Quotes(Changed Monthly) 

Damonique and Natora, Joshua and Jessica, over a million words strong and the story goes on and on and on.....

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Slice of life or Realistic Fantasy
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Howdy!

I'm certainly interested in the idea of this role-play, and extremely enthused to join in!

however I do wonder a little bit on the side of visuals? I understand not everybody is like me, as I myself enjoy images and other sensory content of the like within plots... But the character sheet does not even include a description of physical appearance, let alone leave room for images? is this intended?

I'm still interested regardless, however I would really love a little clarification on this side

Be a better you + Be a better person + Be a better human

The Scottish Fluff
    Willing to give everything a try
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)

Looks like you've got an awesome roleplay started, Damonique!! If you would like to advertise for more members, here are some ways to do so!

First off, there's the Roleplay of the Week. This is displayed on the website's home page as well as on the side bar of the forum. If you think it might help then we implore you to do so! We are always looking for new RP's to advertise. (No, really. We are. Always.) If you would like a little bit more information, or even an example, you can view that here.

One of the requirements for a RP of the Week submission is that you have a banner. If you're not artistically inclined, however, do not fear! We have several amazing artists on the site who will make one for you. Simply post here.

Next, you can post in this thread and the staff will display your role-play in their signatures.

Also feel free to post in the Roleplay Directory. This is a thread that anyone can view at any time to see roleplays that are currently seeking and accepting members.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

That was just an oversight on my part, as this was a pretty basic framework I cooked up at about three in the morning whilst somewhat inebriated. It's fixed now. I usually don't feel the need to handhold people through the character creation process and leave my sheets pretty bare-bones to be expanded to suit ones tastes.

I'll include more details about the facility where the characters will be living, the aliens themselves, and so on after I get a little hype and answer peoples questions!

Damonique and Natora, Joshua and Jessica, over a million words strong and the story goes on and on and on.....

The Invisible One
    Superhero; Sci-fi
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

I'm interested in joining this RP. Got a question though. I'm thinking of making an Outlier, and I was wondering if I could make their 'twist' be that they have very durable skin? Like, even to the point of being able to survive a bullet with not much more than a cut. I don't know what kind of limitations I'm thinking of right now, since I just thought of all this, but I would make sure it isn't OP. I'll further develop my idea if you are okay with it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Depending on their particular parameters, most bruiser can already survive all but the largest gunshot wounds from anywhere outside of point-blank range, since they're skin itself is usually slightly tougher than Kevlar, but there's still bruising and bleeding and the bullet itself to be taken taken care of after the fact. Unluckily, the aliens mostly use plasma cannons and particle beams, which are more than enough to put them in the ground with a center-mass hit.

'Outliers' are more in the realm of super-sciency abilities, so you could have a guy who can generate electromagnetic force-fields by rerouting local current through subdermal implants, at the trade-off of, you know, electrocuting himself if he pushes it too far and intense pain even when he doesn't. Also, that's a good demonstration of the sort of nonsense techno-babble jargon you've got to include to 'justify' your abilities. If you could imagine Doc Carter on Stargate explaining it and O'neal listening for a minute, shrugging and accepting it in stride, it's probably acceptable.

I'll be including sections detailing the aliens we'll be fighting and the facility you'll be living in some time tonight to give you a firmer grasp of the setting.

The Invisible One
    Superhero; Sci-fi
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

Alright, gotcha.

I'll probably just make a brawler then, or I'll come up with something different for an outlier.

`、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)

Name: Sarah Michelle Miller

Code Name: Sparky/Sparks

Appearance: This angry young lady has wide blue eyes that are like two lagoons. Her luxurious, straight, night-black hair is worn in a severe, utilitarian style. She has a lithe build. Her skin is china-white. She has thin lips. Her wardrobe is uncomplicated, and is mostly blue, green and black.

Background: FBI Agent Ford was brought in to investigate a report that the A/V club of Vallejo High had been watching footage of the girl's locker room in their school. They denied planting a camera, they'd found this broadcast signal by accident. Under close questioning and review of the recordings they made, the A/V club admitted they believe one of the girls, Sarah Miller, was the one broadcasting the signal, but she was never seen with a camera.

Agent Ford decided to confront her, armed with a radio-frequency blocker in the Assistant Principal's office. She was then informed that she was under arrest, where of course she demanded to know why. He then informed Sarah if he did that, he'd have to shoot her. Not believing him, she insisted he tell her. "I believe you're an alien," he said, and true to his word, shot her in the leg. After she collapsed to the floor, Sarah tried to touch the wound, briefly convulsed and passed out.

A military surgeon, removing the bullet, discovered a cluster of unusual cells that held an electrical charge not unlike a battery, and suggested she was some kind of human electric eel. An MRI shows what looked like a circuit somehow on the inside of her skull, as well a strange patches of skin on her scalp that seemed to act as an attenna. He suggested that she was basically a walking portable tv station, broadcasting everything she saw or heard.

Agent Ford's report was flagged and intercepted. Sarah was given insulated gloves and a hoodie that acted as a Faraday cage to block her transmissions, then sent to ESTRA Base. Publicly, it was announced she was under mental observation for homicidal tendencies.

Abductee 'Class': Outlier

Specific Abilities: Internal electrocyte cells that can be discharged through her fingertips, capable of stunning the average person.

Thickened skin that protects her from electricity, but only if it isn't deeply cut or scraped.

To fuel her body's ability to generate electricity, she needs to eat a lot, but keeps thin. Seemingly constantly hungry.

Nanite-constructed transceiver in her head, possibly still under construction.

Pica eating disorder where she will eat inappropriate objects such as small electronics and jewelry, etc. without lasting harm. Possibly induced by her nanite colony as they create more circuits inside her head.

Personality: Loaner, making few attachments as her Navy father was moved from base to base; now further withdrawn into herself as a result of discovering these newfound abilities. Prefers books to people. Anyone monitoring her internal broadcasts are becoming well-read for science fiction and fantasy. Resentful of being separated from her family and the few friends she had. Disgusted by the strange things she's craving, and worried sick she's going to kill someone if she touches them. Survives on a constant diet of coffee, soda, pizza, peanut butter and chocolate.
    Last edited by Enigma; 04-05-2018 at 03:59 AM.
    Spoiler: ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ √Ăłł Єѵïł ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤