Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: One, Two, Three, Four, GO! Teen Titans~ (Rated M for Safety

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fandom, Fantasy, Others as my muse dictates.
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default One, Two, Three, Four, GO! Teen Titans~ (Rated M for Safety

((OoC can be found here.))

Begining of Episode One: Back in Jump.

((A secret base somewhere in Jump's factory district: Slade, Rose, and ???))

If he was honest with himself he'd admit that she made him nervous. Her win had been a fluke of course. He had been distracted, unprepared. A fool. Sharp clicks echoed through his control room as he tapped his fingers against the armrest of his throne, the only indication of his irritation. He had thought it impossible for her to break out of his hold.

He wouldn't make the same mistake.

To be prepared for everything, however, presented the mercenary with a...complication. Light flashed off the mask that concealed his features as he leaned towards the monitors before him. Watching the girl from afar could only tell him so much. Nightmares with unknown terrors kept her awake most nights. Stones had mysteriously shifted the last time her emotions spiked. How much was she remembering? How, exactly, were the memories presenting themselves? He needed to get ahead of the situation. He needed an in. He needed...

Of course. A low chuckle, a shift as he leaned back once more, the endless tapping finally quieting. Girls loved to gossip with their friends. Friendliness wasn't exactly his apprentice's forte.....

No matter. She would do what he asked.

A gloved hand found the well-worn switch, turning on the intercom for the base. "Ravager, report to me at once." Ravager, not Rose. She'd know a mission was ready for her.

((Somewhere in Downtown Jump: Terra and any other character))

Orange blur. Pain. Something was broken. She couldn't breathe. He had her. Then the power. It filled her, numbed the pain. "You. Can't. Control. Me. Any. More!" The demon was gone. He was gone, but- Fire. Flames. She had done this. Her fault. The world was burning. She was the demon. Green and purple figure. Why couldn't she see him? He said something. He said- he said-

She had to stop this. He was going to get hurt. They all were. The power. Could she? It was so hot. She was burning-

Gia woke choking down a scream. After a few seconds of disorienting panic -how exactly had her sheets gotten so tangled- the blonde was sitting up. It had happened again. One deep breath, two. Countless years of the same nightmare had taught her how to calm herself. She was whole and alive. She wasn't in some dark cave. She was in her bedroom, safe. Her bed filled with way too many pillows, her walls covered in bright silly cartoons and glow-in-the-dark stars, it was all comforting by design.

A third breath and her hands were steady enough to brush her hair from her face. They came away slick. A shower was in order. The Nightmare didn't normally interrupt her naps-

Her alarm clock gleefully flashed 5:50. A momentary urge to shatter the stupid thing bubbled up. Had she slept through her alarm or had it simply refused to sound at all? No matter. She rose from her bed, a quick stretch easing the last of the nightmare's hold. Gia didn't even work tonight, so it was fine. A local up-and-coming musician had booked a gig at her bar and, breaking one of her rules, she had decided that she would come in on her day off. The plan was to get a couple of drinks, see what all the fuss was about, and perhaps she'd even tease the girl who'd be working that night.

A soft smile touched her features as her blue eyes lit with silent laughter. Sarah had no doubt set up the bar wrong /again/. Pity she had missed the manager's rant. She was determined not to miss anything else.

And just like that Gia's nightmare had been forgotten. She proceeded to take the quickest shower of her life before throwing on some clothes and rushing out the door. No time to put her hair in its usual bun, it would have to be down tonight.

Definitely no time to look at the scars.

It was nice out. The first stars were hidden by Jump's flood of light, but that was okay. Gia kept her head down and made her way through the city's winding streets. Tonight was going to be good, despite it's beginning. She could feel it.
    Last edited by Markov; 04-06-2018 at 02:17 AM.
    First, her life was an earthquake. Then she was the earthquake.
    In the end, when the earth quaked, she was steady.

Spoiler: Roleplays, Music, and Others 

Probably somewhere where dead bodies are?
    I really enjoy slice of life, horror, supernatural themed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A calm quiet night, something that caused a bit of strain on Jinx's senses anymore. Going from such a dramatic life of chaos and excitement to -- this. She let out an audible groan as she finished stacking the chairs on the tables. She was planning on going to the bar tonight for a special musician. She had heard a lot about them recently and decided it was better than going home. That plan was changed however when the other waitress, Samantha, had called in. "A closing shift alone," she grumbled as she headed back towards the cleaning supplies. "Always the bad luck." She was already almost a full hour behind on her cleaning time. She grumbled to herself as she grabbed the mop bucket and drug it back to the dining area. She was used to dealing with messes, especially that of other people's, but at least the H.I.V.E. 5 messes were more fun to clean up. Not like the kid at table five that spilled their drink not once but twice and even with the napkins it had congealed into a sticky mess.

"This place will take another 20 minutes just to get clean," she grumbles making a face. She stomped her foot and a pink static discharge shot across the floor causing a glass to shatter. "ARE YOU KIDDING ME?" She grumbles looking over at the glass shards. With a deep sigh, she pulled her hair out of her usual pigtails and re-fixed it into a high ponytail. She pulled out her phone and started some music and began to mop up. When she finally finished she looked around the dining room. It was nowhere near perfect, but it was an hour after her shift ended and she was done. She put the mop away and sighed softly tossing her apron on the laundry basket. She peeked at the schedule as she went to make her way out the back. The opener had been switched to Samantha, no doubt after she whined about needing hours. A smirk crossed her lips, with a snap of her fingers, and a flash of pink static, the sink made a noise then began to back up. "Have fun tomorrow Sam...." She coos locking the door and walking outside.

"5....15....only 3...so what $30? Not too bad," she mumbles to herself counting her tips. At least she had a decent amount to drink her night away. Even if she got fired tomorrow, it wasn't anything unusual. Always bad luck, never good. She sighed looking up at the sky as she walked the streets. Typically a young woman in this uniform, short black shorts, and tight black v neck shirt and combat boots (though those were not technically part of the uniform), would be afraid to walk the dark streets of Jump City alone. Not Jinx, she would be afraid for anyone that tried to mess with her. She groaned softly, putting her money away. "This better be worth it, I'm exhausted," she mumbles before readjusting her hair into space buns, as she walks to the bar. It was so quiet tonight, seemed like nothing would change the ennui of her current life.
    With love,

Your friendly neighborhood Licensed Funeral Director.

I'm starting a Drag King Adventure follow here to see how that goes!
    Spoiler: Extras&&Role Plays 

Fantasy & Slice of life.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

At the Jump City Community College, Wally was checking his mail box. “Nothing important” He muttered “Looks like I Can head home soon” he looked around the Physics office noticing he was one of the few left in the office. Wally headed back to his office and grabbed his bag throwing over his jean jacket, on his way out he did one glance of the room before he locked up. He quietly made his way to the exit before his boss stopped him asking why he was still here. Wally explained that as usually he was running behind on grading and needed to catch up. He slowly made his way to his motorcycle which was adorned with a helmet with lightning bolts on the side. “I could use a drink…” his voice trailed off as he remembered that alcohol had no effect on him due to his high metabolism. Attached on one of his mirrors was a small flyer for a up in coming performer playing at a bar.

He made his way on the highway “painfully slow as always, but this is the way it has to be, so I don’t end up like uncle.” He thought to himself as he was sitting in traffic. The cool air hit his body as his drove to the area were the bar was located.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

((A secret base somewhere in Jump's factory district: Rose's Laboratory))

Two drops of manganese... three drops of nitric oxide... a full pipette of tetrodotoxin... Rose smiled as she double checked her formula. She'd been working the kinks out of this neurotxin for a few days now and she was sure this time she finally had all the dosages right. Just one last ingredient, venom from a coral snake, and it would be ready to weaponize. She loaded her dropper with the toxin and held her breath. Too much and the formula would not only be ruined but would become unstable and... well she just didn't want to deal with that tonight. Just one drop and-

"Ravager, report to me at once."

The sudden explosion of noise caused Rose to jump. Her fingers flinched and shot the whole dropper into the concoction. She threw the dropper and groaned, digging her fingers into the skin of her forehead.

“Fuck, Dad! You couldn't give me another 2 seconds?!” Of course not. Her father's timing was always impeccably bad. After a second the chemicals began to spill a thin steam into the air, filling the work space with a noxious smell. Rose rolled her eyes and reached for the gas mask that was hanging nearby on the wall. The room would be filled with a paralytic gas soon and she really didn't have time to deal with it right now. She reached up and gently touched the pendant around her neck.

“On my way.” Her voice was muffled and distorted by the mask but hopefully her words were still audible. As she left the lab she keyed in a code onto a touch screen on the wall. Hopefully it would fan out the room before she came back. Knowing her luck her whole system would malfunction and she'd have to air the place out herself after her mission. Rose made her way to her room, suited up, and headed for her father's throne room for her debriefing. Once in his presence she tightened herself up, making every muscle rigid and stiff. It always happened when she was around Slade. Even after all these years, he still made her nervous. With good reason. She bowed her head for a moment before raising her gaze to meet his masked face.

“What do you have for me, Daddy?”

((Somewhere in Downtown Jump: Backstage at the local bar))

“Bottoms up.” Gar tilted his head back and guzzled down his drink. His third one in under and hour. He needed the liquid confidence. It was the first time in months he had been back in Jump and the nerves were really getting to him. He'd taken his music all over the place but just something about being back home was making him anxious. He glanced at the clock as he poured himself another shot. Only a few more minutes til showtime. He prayed this wasn't a complete disaster.
    Garfield stared in his dressing table mirror and twisted his holo-ring, watching as his image shifted before his eyes. His emerald skin melted into a pale, freckly complexion and his shaggy hair changed to a familiar burnt orange. The points of his teeth and ears rounded themselves out as well. The only thing that remained of the old Gar was his stunning, sparkly green eyes. The name Changeling definitely fit his aesthetic now. He was glad that he could be normal for once in his life though. It was nice to be someone else for a few hours. He counted to three again and downed the shot, feeling the burn all the way into his stomach. He heard the door open and a head poked in.

“2 minutes til you're on Cypes.” The woman said, clicking a pen against a clipboard. Gar nodded and raised his glass to signal he understood. She closed the door to let him finish getting ready. He sighed, picked up his guitar and strummed. He twisted one of the pegs, adjusting the tuning just a bit, then strug it behind him.

“Here goes nothin'” He said softly as he left the room and started for the stage. /Please, please, please go smoothly.../ Knowing his luck that probably wasn't going to happen.
    Rose Playlist
    Spoiler: Link 

Beast Boy Playlist

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

((Slade’s factory base, throne room))

The alert panel for Rose’s lab had lit up. With a flick of his wrist, Slade brought the report up to his screen. She had been playing with a neurotoxin before he called her if the air scrubbers were accurate. A spill? Or had she thrown her work in anger? No…. A spill was the most likely culprit. She had been working on this project for too long to allow her anger to get the best of her.

Another flick and the information was gone, allowing the scrubbers to continue their work. He had more important things to focus on than introducing more problems to his apprentice's life. “On my way.” Slade leaned back against his throne as he got her confirmation. He’d have to introduce this mission carefully. Ravager didn’t exactly enjoy babysitting jobs, and he could not have her blowing this off. He’d need to convince her of its importance, it was the only way to ensure she'd give it all of her attention.

Once more he found himself questioning his decision. It would be far simpler to get rid of the girl before she could begin to look for revenge. She worked at a bar, she walked Jump’s streets at night. It was terrifyingly simple for such girls to vanish. No one important in her life would look for her for long. That was simply the way of things in a crime-filled city like this. But…. Yes. He’d admit it to himself. He had grown fond of his little apprentice. Her fight, her spark, it had drawn him in and held him even now. He respected her, in a sense. It took real strength to stand and fight. Not to mention, she had defeated him. Very few held that honor. If he could convince her to return….

No. Too risky. A dog that has bitten its master should be put down. It was only the Titans, and the off chance that they watched her as he did, that stilled his hand. He'd rather not have them sniffing around. Sure, it wasn't likely. He had tried to throw the Changeling off of the case a couple of times. But he couldn't keep an eye on them like he used to, now that they had scattered to the winds. Having Rose get close to her and keep her under control was the only option now.

Speaking of. The doors of his control room slid open with a soft hiss. Slade leaned forward as his apprentice entered, looking her over carefully. She was tense, but her uniform was in proper order and she even remembered to bow her head. Good. She wasn’t in the mood to fight him. That would no doubt change as she heard her mission, but it was always nice to start with compliance. “Ravager, this is a personal mission. There is no contract holder. You will be answering directly to me.” Should he have lied and said someone was paying for it? No, she would have seen through that. A button press and Gia was brought up onto the screen. All the information he had on her, including some cameras. Her apartment was bugged, her bar, Slade had even tapped into traffic cameras to watch her on her day-to-day activities. “I have reason to believe that Terra, she is going by Gia Stevens now, is beginning to recover her memories. You will situate yourself into her life to keep an eye on this development. If it seems as though she remembering too much, and plans to strike against us, you will take her out.” The screens went dead as the information was sent to Rose’s personal computer systems.

“This is the most important mission I have given you. Do it well and you will be rewarded.” He didn’t mention what would happen if she failed. His own death, most likely. But whatever she imagined would be a better mobilizer. “I have set you up with an apartment, and in two days time you have an interview at her bar. Tonight I want you to find her and introduce yourself. You will stay undercover until I contact you or you are forced to put her down. Am I understood?”

((A bar in downtown Jump))

She knew that some people feared to walk Jump’s streets as the sunset. Hell, she herself had had a couple of not-great encounters. But it was Jump. Gia knew what she needed to do to keep safe. Keep her head down, move quickly, keep a pocket knife on her person. It was easy to vanish in the city’s shadows, to disguise oneself in them to ensure safe travel.

Rule one of Jump. Keep your nose where it belongs, and give off a presence that makes others do the same, and you’ll be okay. Those who planned to live long in the city very quickly took this rule to heart. Those who didn’t left Jump. Normally very quickly.

Her bar, thankfully, wasn’t in a too dangerous part of the city. This area of downtown was very well lit, with both police and local heroes making a show of hanging around. It was one of the few places that night owls and young adults looking for a party could expect to have a good time. Surprising, really, that the villains left the area alone. Though, perhaps it was as self-preservation. If the crime rate of Jump went too high certainly the Justice League would get involved.

Gia slipped into a darker alley and into a non-descript backdoor meant for staff. She really didn’t feel like talking with the security guards tonight. She’d just go in, find somewhere to sit and-
    “GIA!” The blonde couldn’t even take her jacket off before she was enveloped in a tight hug. Sarah was wearing her customary bright grin, brown eyes sparkling. “I was about to check the street for you! I thought you had lied and weren’t coming!” She said it as if Gia going back on her promise would have shattered her world.

Her tone prompted a laugh from Gia as she hugged her coworker back. It was impossible to keep her customary distance with this girl. Sarah demanded to be liked. Plus, it was nice to know that someone cared if she came tonight. It felt good. “I over-slept. Has he gone out yet or?”

“He’s about to! Hurry. Meet me at the bar later.” There was gossip. Interesting. But before Gia could get in another word the girl was back out to the front to check on her customers. Gia shook her head and hung up her jacket before making her way out into the customer area. She’d have to keep her curiosity contained for now.

The bar was almost boring compared to some of the clubs in the area, but that suited Gia just fine. A long bar ran along one side of the building, where Sarah and another coworker were currently tending. In one corner was a little elevated area, a makeshift stage for artists or karaoke night. The rest of the area was, usually, filled with small 4 person tables. Tonight, however, a few of the tables were missing to make room for a small dance area near the stage.

Gia picked up a drink from the bar and made herself at home in one of the remaining corner tables near the stage. The bar wasn’t quite full yet, but judging by the jingle of the door that was about to change. This dude really was bringing in a crowd. Sarah would be raking in tips tonight.
    Lucky.
    Last edited by Markov; 04-07-2018 at 10:42 PM.

Probably somewhere where dead bodies are?
    I really enjoy slice of life, horror, supernatural themed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As Jinx got to the bar she noticed something she didn't like at all. The fact that there was already a line out front did not make Jinx happy. This bar was one of the safer and more preferred for most, but she didn't like crowds. She should have seen that coming, they had been advertising for this guy for a long time. She still didn't want to deal with everyone, but after tonight she had to have a drink, or twelve. Jinx slipped into the line ignoring any small talk, by pulling out her phone scrolling through things. Random things, pictures, forums, anything so that she didn't have to talk to anyone.

Stepping up to the bouncer she showed him her id quickly not wanting to waste time. She slipped past the bouncer with minimal trouble, she had been there pretty often recently. She immediately regretted this. It was already starting to fill up. She was already tired of the jingle as she slipped through the crowd to the bar. This was not worth it, she could already feel it. She slid onto a bar stool and waved down one of the bartenders.

"Tequila and sprite, white," she says softly sitting down enough cash plus a tip and tapping her fingers against the bar as she waited. She scanned the room as it started to fill up. A soft sigh escaping her lips. Her pink eyes scanning for possibly someone she knew. If only she actually had any friends, she avoided people so much anymore that she couldn't consider anyone friends.

She had old friends for sure however, her old "friends" had scattered by now. She wasn't even sure who she considered friends anymore. She glanced back as she was handed her drink. She nods a thank you before taking a sip. It tasted clean, and strong, she liked it here. The drinks made up for the people, at least for tonight. The bar area was getting crowded, people ordering drinks before the music started. She slowly slid away making her way to the darker corners.

She really just wanted to people watch and drink before she got the call tomorrow about how pipes "mysteriously" overflowed. She couldn't help but wonder if they would fire her for that. She didn't care really. She always secretly hoped that tonight would make something special happen, something new. Something that would maybe let her not return to her normal civilian life the next day. That had yet to happen, for almost 10 years, but who knows, tonight could be the night.
    With love,

Your friendly neighborhood Licensed Funeral Director.

I'm starting a Drag King Adventure follow here to see how that goes!
    Spoiler: Extras&&Role Plays 

Fantasy & Slice of life.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Wally parked his bike in a nearby side street removed his helmet attaching it to his bike. He walked about a block to get to the bar most of the side streets were littered with cars, no doubt due to this musician. The line was filled with mostly younger adults in their 20s. However, each one seemed out of place a mash-up of different fashion and styles. He made his way to the line proceeding to get in line waiting for what felt like an eternity before he finally showed his ID and entered the bar. He scanned the room for a spot to stand at the bar to order a drink. “It’s too crowded” he muttered to himself, as he finally was able to order a drink: A rum and coke. He took a few sips the alcohol overpowered the coke; normally he only liked a splash of alcohol since it did not do much for him anyways.

Wally paid for his drink and quickly looked for somewhere to sit. However, he saw what he thought was familiar pink hair. “No, Can’t be her. Why’d she come to…” he looked around “A fine establishment like this” his voice resonating sarcasm. He was able to find a small corner in the bar where he could stand and still see the stage. He looked back over at the girl with pink hair “Jinx… why did I have to screw that up?” he muttered to himself.

He started thinking about when they were younger and he would bring her a single rose. ‘I always thought it was fitting; Jinx the rose, the girl whose beauty was only matched with her thorns’ he thought to himself. Taking a few more sips, he started reminiscing about how the Old Team took him out on his twenty-first birthday. He remembered them all having fun and roaming the streets ‘Just being kids…’ he thought to himself “I don’t remember a time when we were just kids” he muttered under his breath as his thoughts turned dark pulling the jean jacket he had close to his body. The darkness that he had tried so hard to suppress was bubbling up to the surface of his brain ‘Uncle … Titans… I’ve let you down haven’t I?’ his face was expressionless as he was lost in his thoughts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

((Slade’s factory base, throne room))

Rose listened to her father's words but couldn't quite believe what she was hearing. This had to be some kind of joke, a prank Slade had decided to pull. She knew it wasn't. Her father didn't joke, especially not when it came to her. It had been months since the masked man had made mention of the earthshaker. She had hoped that maybe he had finally put his obsession with her to bed. Clearly, that wasn't the case. She clenched her fists, digging her nails into the fabric of her black, leather gloves. The smallest show of defiance.

“With all due respect, sir,” Rose started, her voice quivering ever so slightly. “Did you really interrupt me for this? This plan is insane.” More than insane. It was fucking ludicrous. Did he honestly expect this work? And why did it matter if she got her memories back? It's not like it was going to change anything. The Titans were scattered to the winds and she wasn't exactly buddy-buddy with them to begin with. If she came looking for revenge she'd come up with just a bunch of dead ends. They'd swapped bases a hundred times over the years. Hell, they had decoy bases just for this very reason! And her father left the base so infrequently- Rose sucked in a deep breath and tried to calm herself. She was letting her thoughts spiral out of control and she needed to get a handle on them.

“Look, I know you want to keep your prior assets in check, but I have work to do. I don't have time to play the part of a bartending babysitter.” She was more than likely going to get hit for this but right now self preservation wasn't her number one concern. “I have a deadline to meet on my neurotoxin and the KGB just placed orders for, like, three different serums that I have to make and hand deliver. Plus, I'm running low on Haste and that shit is beyond unstable and-” Another pause. Another breath. She reached up and pinched the bridge of her nose, annoyance seething from her. “Keeping an eye on an alcoholic amnesiac is a waste of my talents and frankly, it's insulting.”

((A bar in Jump))

Gar was standing in the wings, counting seconds until it was time to hit the stage. He could hear the roar of a crowd coming from the floor. He could hear the bells on the door ringing near constantly. From the noise level, he gathered the place would hit max capacity soon. Or maybe people were just rowdier than his usual scene and there weren't as many as he thought. He wouldn't know til he got out there. The lady with the clipboard checked her papers, then her watch, then pointed her pen to the exit ramp.

“You're on. Good luck.” Gar gave her a slight nod and started out. He waved and gave a warm smile as he approached the mic. The rest of the band was already in place and ready to play. He looked out and tried to get a feel for the crowd but couldn't make out much beyond all the stage lights.

“Hey,” His voice was a little shakey. No matter how many times he did this, the openings never got easier. “I'm Cypes and before I start I just wanted to thank everybody for comin' out tonight. Hope ya enjoy.”

He strummed the electric guitar and a chord sang out. He almost always started his sets with the same song. It was his favorite one to get things rolling. Another couple of chords and riffs and the rest of the band followed his lead. He took a breath, closed his eyes, and he began to zone out as he sang. This always happened. He almost went into a trance on stage. Once he got past the nerves, it all just came so naturally. He finished the first song and intro'd the second.

“This song is dedicated to someone very special.” He said, picturing a familiar blonde in his head. “Maybe one day she'll actually hear it.”
    Rose Playlist

Beast Boy Playlist

Star of the Dawn
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Like most of the others waiting in line, Mariana tried to pass the time a bit while waiting in line, playing different games on her phone and occasionally checking on her contacts and makeup. Despite how this may have looked to a casual observer, this little routine had little to do with any preoccupation for her looks, or at least not in the way most people might think. Jump City was more accepting than most when it came to strange-looking people. How could they not be, when the famous Teen Titans had included a green boy, an orange-skinned alien girl, a grey-skinned purple-haired sorceress, and a cyborg? But then again, people were naturally more accepting of well-known superheroes like them; any unknown person on the street who looked like they did would surely be met with more suspicion and distrust, and the same could also be said of Mariana herself.

But then it was her turn in the line, and she showed her ID. Half expecting more of a reaction from the security guard as he studied the ID carefully, Mariana was pleasantly surprised when he simply handed back the ID and let her in. So far so good...

The music had just started by the time Mariana entered the bar, and she stopped at the side to listen. She wasn’t much of a drinker, but had heard about a new singer being here, and the chance to see any kind of new talent was too good to pass up. Clearly the rest of the crowd agreed, as there was a sizable crowd gathered in front of the stage while even many of those waiting at the bar couldn’t help but turn around to listen.

But as the first song drew to a close, the lead singer dedicated the next song to ‘someone very special’, and even expressed hope that one day this very special someone might actually be able to hear it. That quickly caught her interest. Might this person really be here? Could that be why he was here in the first place?

All very good questions, but it would do no good to stand here and speculate about things she didn’t know much about to begin with. For now, Mariana slipped quietly toward the bar and started to look through their selection.
    Thanks for the set, Kicks!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

((Copost with Az to get Rose to the bar))

“Your time, and your talents, Ravager, are meant to serve me.” His voice had dropped, a warning. She was growing up, and he was grooming her for command, but he would tolerate only so much defiance. He was her master and father and she would show him the proper respect. Still, Slade sat back as he thought through her argument. She clearly thought him a scared old fool…. Perhaps she had a point. There still was much work to be done and in the grand scheme of things did Terra really matter? Rose had her little side business, he had contracts to sort through. A handful of them looked promising and he intended on accepting them once a suitable deal had been struck. He could easily ignore the geomancer.

Though last time he had ignored her had not gone well for him. That was the whole reason he wanted this dealt with. Slade glanced up at his screen. He was currently tapped into the bar’s security feed. The masked man took his time studying the crowd’s reaction to the first song, he wasn’t too concerned about keeping Rose in his presence and away from her all-important lab. She claimed to be busy, but the girl would wait all day for him if she had to. Of that he had complete trust. The mouthy little girl he’d brought under his wing had become his perfect apprentice. She was his right hand and watched his back during missions, ever more his face and voice during negotiations, and one day would take all he considered his. His glories, his failings-

His failings. Yes. Why hadn’t he seen it before? Slade looked away from the screen as the man voiced his wishes for his second song. Fool. He hadn’t even noticed that she sat among his listeners that night, so close to his stage. But, of course, the boy had never been the brightest of the Titans. And truly, who could fault him for not knowing what Slade did? He had spent years of his life dedicated to this group. He lurked in every dark corner and learned every secret so that, one day, he would bring them down.

Perhaps….. Perhaps he didn’t need to.

“Very well, Rose.” He used her true name carefully, knowing it would shock her into listening. “Then allow me to change my side of this deal.” Anxiety sparked up his spine. Could she finish what he could not? What her brother had died for? He wouldn’t send another of his children to the grave. “Your neurotoxin is finished. The rest of your contracts I can fulfill. Since you seem so sure that my mission is a waste of your talents, let’s turn it into a test. I want you to run head and fulfill my oldest contract. You will want for nothing during this mission, and I will follow your lead.”

“I want you to kill the Teen Titans.”

~*~*~

And suddenly, Slade had her full attention. First, he used her name. Her real name. He used it so infrequently it was always a shock when it left his lips. Deep inside, Rose knew he only really used it as a manipulation tactic. A way to lure her back in once she had lost interest. A small gesture to show that he was her father, not just her boss. Despite knowing this though, it almost always worked. She was a sucker for those little things. Second, he had upped the stakes. He was offering her his legacy. The one mission he could never complete. If she could bring down the Titans...

“I'm in. Consider it done.” This time there was no hesitation. No annoyance. A babysitting job in return for the keys to her father's kingdom? She'd be a moron not to take that deal. Besides, a break wasn't going to kill her. Probably. Might even do her good. The prospect almost made her laugh. She had never done well with downtime. “Send me the address to the apartment and any other info I might need.” She gave him a sly, knowing grin as she turned to leave the throne room. “I have a concert to get ready for.”

~*~*~

Rose wasn't exactly fond of public appearances. She would have much rather been in her lab toiling away or in the training room. People annoyed her. Loud people annoyed her even more. Basically, anything outside of her little bubble was nothing more than an irritation. The white-haired woman stood in her room, trying her best to decide on something to wear. Most of what she owned wasn't exactly club appropriate and it was frustrating. “Note to self, order a new wardrobe tonight.”

Finally, she managed to throw together something that didn't look like she was a Russian spy- a pair of tight leather shorts, a studded corset that showed off far too much of her torso, a cropped leather jacket, and a pair of stiletto knee-high boots. She pulled her hair from her ponytail and let it fall around her, curtaining half of her face. She completed the look by adding a pair of sunglasses. Sunglasses at night were considered cool now, right? Oh well. It would have to do.

Rose made her way to Terra's bar, a lower end place called The Parlor. It was a hole in the wall and from the outside didn't look like anywhere she'd ever be caught dead in. She groaned internally. The line to get in was long and almost around the block. She was not going to be waiting in it. She dipped into the alley and found a backdoor that one of the employees had left unlocked. Like a shadow, she slipped inside without a single person noticing her presence. The perks of being nearly invisible.

Already, she hated this assignment. It was so loud she couldn't think straight. The lights were flashing and too bright. Her head would be splitting in just a few moments. She needed liquor. Now. She pushed her way through the crowd and leaned against the bar.

“Rum and coke on the rocks. Make it a double.”

~*~*~

The crowd was well deserved. Gia found herself nodding along with the music, a rare smile on her face as she watched the people around her. This had actually been a really good idea. Which was great, because Gia couldn’t think of anything else she’d rather spend her night doing, but now it meant she owed Sarah a meal. When the blonde hadn’t been exactly thrilled about the idea of giving up an evening the two had made a bet.

That was okay. She’d happily pay a meal for this. By the middle of the first song, however, Gia had finished her drink. She’d no doubt lose her table though…. It didn’t matter. For the first time in a long time Gia found herself honestly not caring about the crowds or drawing attention to herself. So, with this burst of new-found confidence, she started to make her way back to the bar.

There was a hand on her hip. The next she was swung into a tight spin, startled blue eyes meeting a very familiar brown. “Hey there, Gia. Nice to see you smiling.” His easy smile, his long dark hair framing his face, there was no need to panic. She knew him.

“James!” Her momentary panic was immediately squashed as embarrassed laughter bubbled up. “You’re going to get hit one of these days.” The idiot in question was a bar regular, and a heavy flirt. Ordinarily she didn’t mind his advances, but it was different without the bar between them. And his hand on her. Was he always so tall?

“Go ahead. Do your worst.” That stupid smirk. Heat rose in Gia’s face and it made him lean closer to her. “Unless you’d rather dance.” He’d been meaning to get this girl’s number for a while. It would have been unprofessional while she was working, and James hadn’t exactly been willing to lose his favorite haunt, but she wasn’t working now. Well, unless they’ve started to allow bartenders to drink. In that case, things were about to get real interesting.

She didn’t dance. Not normally. But so many things had happened that night that didn’t normally. “Just don’t step on me-“ Her refill mission had been completely forgotten.

James pulled her into a more open area and spun her again. “Good choice.” The smile this time was genuine as he pulled her close. “And don’t worry. You’re safe with me.”

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast