Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A Pirate's Life for Me (IC)(M)

RPAs White Knight
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Default A Pirate's Life for Me (IC)(M)

The sun rose, and the Eastern Sea was always the first to see the light of dawn. The Atoll of Dolphins in the Baoping Islands was a bustling, natural, crescent moon-shaped bay formed by the islands of the Atoll. The waters were filled with dolphins, from where the atoll got it's name, as well as turtles, and the occasional pod of whales stopping in the protected waters to rest on their migration to breed in the Southern Sea and southern areas of the Eastern Sea. It wasn't just sea creatures, though, that called this place home. People did too. From fishing boats and ships taking people on trips to see the dolphins and, at this time of year, whales, to merchant ships, and even the odd pirate and privateer ship seeking riches from said trade ships.

In the tavern sat a woman, no older then 30 years, she looked like she belonged among the people of this part of the Eastern Sea, or maybe even a bit further north in the Hamje Islands. She sat at the table, eating the food she had gotten from the barmaid, a simple affair of salmon, wrapped in rice and seaweed, known as sushi. She had served a pirate king for half of her life, until a mutiny of his entire fleet, lead by this woman, cost him his. Moon heard talk, someone mentioning seeing undead on some of the islands, skeletons if stories were to be believed, embodied by restless spirits of the dead. And someone mentioning ancient creatures awakening, dragging ships to their doom, or flying off with the ship. Krakens and giant birds, most of which had served as stories to frighten children, and newcomers to the sea.

Moon stood up and left the tavern, heading down to the docks, wondering if she could find a ship, either to buy or hire, she had decided that this was her home now, and she would make the most of it. She had trained with The Order, as her mother had, and was ready to become a priestess, settling the spirits of the dead and allowing them to rest. She might even take up some work with the Trader's Guild or the Mercenary Navy. But first she needed a ship and crew. Now where would she find those, she knew the question. At inns and taverns across this untamed section of sea, from the Western Sea to Eastern, Northern Sea to Southern, Moon knew new crew members would be. But first, a ship since without one, she was trapped here.

Thank you to Alice for making my sig and avi <3

Spoiler:  

Archmage of RPA
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Depends on the day
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

James Hendricks

James sat in the bottom of his ship staring out the small window just beside him. He hated this, once again he was getting thrown off of a ship just because he made a bad meal once. He couldn't quite understand his situation getting any worse other then if they had chosen to throw him over board and left to die. He took a heavy sigh as he pulled a small coin pouch holding a grand total of three golden coins.

Staring down at the pouch he frowned at the matter. He let his thoughts roll remembering why he was in the cage in the first place.Three coins was all thats left out of the whole fifty he had saved up. He was planning to buy a new outfit when he made it to shore. 47 coins is all that saved him from being thrown over. The boy sighed softly and looked to the approaching land trying to ready himself for finding yet another ship. This would be the third one this year and he could only imagine the troubles of finding one more.

James laid his head back against the cold wood of the ship. Today was a terrible day as it was and it was only three days ago when he was thrown into the cell of the ship. He'd lost track of time and burnt some of the food, and to his amazing luck the burnt part some how was passed off to the captain. He sighed heavily at the thought of everything before drifting off into a sleep. His mind slipped into a dream state shortly after.

His mind raced and flooded his dreams. Fear struck James quick as he awoke at first light. It looked all to familiar. Looking around, James was in his room and back at home where his mother was. Downstairs he could hear the sounds of a kettle whistling loudly as the water boiled inside. The sound was loud but soothing to a point. "I thought I was on a ship...." He spoke before shaking his head and getting up out of bed stretching. He examined his figure noticing it was a bit petite then before his pirating adventures. Almost as if it had never happened. James stepped down the stairs of his home wearing only but a pair of pants that he had worn to bed the night before.

Reaching the bottom of the stairs, James looked to his mother as she prepared a meal for the too. "Morning mom...." He spoke trailing off. It was a confusing matter as he swore he was still on the ship. His stomach felt the rolling of the seas but his mind told him he was back home where things didn't matter. It was a good feeling but an all to familiar one. He knew this day looked way to familiar and he looked to his pocket watch. The time was way off, he was just awakening but the time said it was well past three.

That was when the moment when it flooded back into his mind. He knew where he was and what was happening. A cold sinking feeling exploded inside of him as his father rushed through the door. The pain showed in James' eyes as he watched in horror. His father had dropped the chest at the door and rushed out. Without a second thought his own feet padded after him. Hurdling over fences, James' followed his father to the same spot as he always did in this dream, the docks. He felt the cold air on his face as he watched his father engaged in combat. Swords clashing, a cut from his father struck the man's arm.

James could see the blood searing down his arm as his coat became covered in blood. The next strike was blocked by the swing of another sword. A second man had joined in the fight with his father but the fate of that man was soon ended as his father sliced the mans gut open returning to the fight. The fight raged on and James watched as cuts were made back and forth. Slashes across the coat and the rest of their attire but nothing was a killing blow.

The fight was a gruesome fight at that, and James enjoyed the sight of his father winning the battle. The other captain had much more cuts, and many more bloody patches covering his coat, the fight was a glorious sight. James still enjoyed the battle up until this moment. Thats the moment that would haunt his mind the rest of his days. It was even the only moment he was on this adventure, why he was on the ship. And though James didn't want to watch again, he couldn't wake his self up.

James watched as his father swung. And a loud clank was heard as the swords made contact, sparks flew at that time only to draw quiet. The stand off held as his father pushed with the sword, it was clearly his win after all and would be short lived. Just before his father made the movement to stab, the man he engaged with pulled a flint lock pistol from the side with hastened pace, and it was over. A shot was heard as the round pierced his fathers chest. The struggle was over and the man only pushed his father straight to the ground. He watched the horror unfold. Once again his father had fallen to the bearded man.

As the moment finished, the day cut ahead through James' mind and he was over his father, tears fell heavily as he grasped the bloody jacket of his father. His cold lifeless face stared towards the town. James didn't move a muscle as he clenched onto his father. Shortly after, James could see his mother in the distance staring with the same horror that James had in his eyes. Upon her approach James only shoved her away. "Get away from him! You don't even care do you?! Get away from my father!" He shouted towards his mother who attempted to proceed over and over until she gave in. Her eyes filled with tears as she watched the situation. James didn't care at the time but continued laying with the father figure beside him.

The dream raged on through his mind as he laid his head on his fathers chest, He blinked once and then as his eyes opened he was in a whole other world. Jolting awake from the dream as well as the sound of a cage unlocking, James looked up to the door. Just before him a fearsome looking man scowled down at him dragging James to his feet. "We're at your stop lets go already!" The man shouted spit flying into James face causing him to wipe it away rather quickly. The mans breathe smelled terrible and nearly made him gag but he held his stomach and walked up with the man.

The fresh air was a good one and James inhaled deeply finally seeing the full on sky for the first time in days. James enjoyed the feeling but only felt it coming to an end as he was shoved forwards. "Alright alright I'm going!" He said moving forwards stopping at the edge of the ship, he stared down at the ramp set out for him to walk forwards. The first step was great and the second was followed up with a shove sending James stumbling for a few steps before tumbling down the ramp and striking the ground rather hard.

James sat up glancing to his now former crew mates as they along with the captain laughed at his misfortune. James sighed softly and attempted to stand only feeling the seering pain through his left leg from his fall. It was painful and he could feel the warm blood trickling down his brow as he began walking away. This was the life of a pirate and he would only have to deal with it. His father did for many years and eventually he made captain status but James was far off from that. He spent most of his time in the sky rather then on the ground controlling a ship. But none the less it was time for a new adventure. He would get himself a new crew to join up with and get on with a new life with a new ship. Surely someone could use him right?

Upon exiting the ship he looked to his right as a rather tall and large Voodoo looking man did his thing finishing his business with another guy. "Poor guy doesn't know what he just got himself into. Cursed men they are." He spoke and made his way ahead only to be stopped by the rather tall man. "My boy! You look as if you need a pick me up. You look as if you need our help! You look like a good ol' fortune telling is in your future!" James scowled at the man and shook his head. "No thank you sir. I'll pass today."

Just when James believed to be done with the man he was once again interupted by the man stepping in front of him. "My boy come on now! The gods have told us of you! They've spoken to us and said you could use a fortune telling. For just three gold coins-!" James this time glared and gave the man a shove to the side cutting his sentence off. "I'm not in the mood to hear your stupid ass tales of fortune and misfortune and stupid shit like that. I've heard it all before and not dealing with it today." This time James left the man in his path behind him as he continued walking. He would stop by the tavern, take a drink with one of his three coins and then patch himself up before getting out there to hopefully a new crew.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vane Verano

"Step right up now! Come on don't be scared of the cards. We know all. We seee all. We can do it all! We just need you're lovely co-operation." The man finished his sentenced and played with the cards in his hands. Shuffling them about. He twirled the cards in his hands and did little tricks with them. Next to him, a table sat chest high. It was high enough so he could hide his lovely sack of gold beneath it, and keep the customers from reaching over it. Just under the table, the man had a rather large pouch of gold. Clearly his business today was good.

A large grin broke across his lips as he watched a sorry looking man look his way.The grin was but a sly one and one filled with trickery, but alas here came the next fool to stand before him. "Yes sir!" He spoke aloud raising his hands high pointing into the air. "Oh the gods have spoke of you. We knew you would arrive today." The skull man smirked and instantly threw out three cards across the table. "Jack, Jim, Fred. What was your name good sir? I believe I missed it." The man before him gave him but a curious look. "I never said my name..... It's Jim how did you know?"

His question was responded to by only a laugh. Of course a common name would match a common man such as his self."How would we not know? What is it that you seek? We know your name, we know that you are looking for something anew. We know all about you my good man Jim!" The skull'd figure shifted around the man hovering over his figure rather closely. "Now sir with a grand total of three gold coins I can tell you all about your desires! Be it your love that you're looking for ever so graciously! Be it that sack of gold you're coming into soon. It could be a number of things we just need a gracious donation." His sentenced finished as his hand came out around him holding it out as if he knew the money would soon appear.

The curious man looked frightened by the skull man's movements but his curiosity would soon fail him as he coughed up the money placing it in the mans hand. "Thank you thank you! My good sir it is greatly appreciated and now we move on to the past!" He slipped around to the other side of the table as the man peered down at the row of cards. The card was flipped and the man in the skull mask peered down at it with the man across from him. "Ten of swords! Well well well then. You have had a terrible past. Back stabbed by ones you trusted, Betrayed by the ones you loved, Pushed around with great defeat! That is what the cards tell me about your past."

Jim who watched as the card was flipped and explained was appalled by the matter. Blown away at the accuracy of his words. "My brother stole my wife! How do you know?! Tell me more I must know more!" A sly grin spread across the other mans lips as he caught the man in his words. He was clearly done for in the matter.

The second card was quickly flipped. This time the card was upright once more. Vane shifted back as if looking confused. "Oh no. It seems you are lost. You have insecure thoughts. There is many things to tell about you. You are scared for the matter. It is a gruesome card indeed. Is it because of your loss of a wife and the loss of a brother?" Vane asked this time leaning over towards the man named Jim. Who quickly responded in a nod, the man was clearly close to tears. Vane had hit him in the spot where he could easily win this man over.

Grabbing the last card he paused mid flip and placed it back down. Holding his hand out. "Now the future....Thats an extra three coins for the cost. The future isn't cheap boy and we don't hand it out for free." Jim only looked at the man in fear. He must know his future. He must know what is going to happen to him. But he hesitated. Vane motioned towards him with his hand as if asking for the extra money but soon removed his hand. "Well if you don't want to know then by all means. Figure the future out alone." He spoke and began to pick up the cards only to be interrupted by the coins slamming down on the table before him. 'Gotcha' crossed his mind as he nodded. "I see so you must know should you?"

The man nodded and looked at the final face down card only to have it flipped seeing a wheel covered in gold. "Ahah! You have the Wheel of fortune! Decisions must be made soon for you are in luck my man! Today is a turning point for you. Good luck if you will. Life will take a turn and you must decide! We spoke to you and gave you the answers you seek! Now my child. We will send you off with a new life!" The man shoo'd away Jim as he nodded as if gracious for the answer he received. Vane only grinned in the matter.

Vane took the now six coins and dropped them into the pouch with a sly grin. Today was a great day for him. He was up to Seventy three coins now and the day was just beginning. Vane looked to the ships docking and watched as a boy stumbled down the ramp of a ship only to be laughed at by what looked to be a crew. The man laughed with them at the matter and shook his head. "Idiots. He shall be a victim of mine soon."

He had his plan to grab James as he walked up seeing his fortune would be easy to read. Vane made his way to the boy as he crossed the table and stepped in front of him staring down at him. He was a rather short one wasn't he? But he would get him. "My boy! You look as if you need a pick me up. You look as if you need our help! You look like a good ol' fortune telling is in your future!" The boy before him only scowled at him and shook his head "No thank you sir. I'll pass today."

Vane blinked in confusion as the boy told him no and continued walking past him. He was just told no? It was surely a matter he would believe to be a wrong choice of words. Just when the boy believed to be done with Vane he was once again interupted by him as he stepped out in front of him. "My boy come on now! The gods have told us of you! They've spoken to us and said you could use a fortune telling. For just three gold coins-!"

His next words were followed up with a shove as he was cut off making him glare at the boy. His words only angered the man more. "I'm not in the mood to hear your stupid ass tales of fortune and misfortune and stupid shit like that. I've heard it all before and not dealing with it today." Although angry Vane knew the story and heard it many times before.

Vane frowned at the matter but none the less he would get his next victim. That boy was nothing but a lost cause and would only meet his own demise on his own. Vane took forth his 'salesperson' form and attitude as e repeated his sentence. He would repeat for the same one rest of his day. "Step right up now! Come on don't be scared of the cards. We know all. We seee all. We can do it all! We just need you're lovely co-operation."
    Last edited by Kiro Akira; 04-08-2018 at 08:00 PM.
    Spoiler: Quotes? 

Spoiler: Kiros current favorite quote 

`、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)

Jack sighed as she drew near enough to make out the crescent-shaped bay, which had just been glittering far-off lights the night before. Finally, signs of civilization.

She'd been island hopping, her little boat staying clear of other ships, stopping only in remote inlets for fresh water and whatever supplies she could rustle up while trying to avoid cannibals, soldiers, and the occasional farmer while sheltering from storms and evil-looking ships that might decide to pluck this tiny morsel of a ship from the sea.

Code or no code.

If she was right, what was ahead was the Atoll of Dolphins. If she was wrong.... a prison cell would be the least of it.

At that moment, the tattered remains of her sail tore down the middle.

"F'ck'n wind!" she screamed as the longboat slowed to a crawl. "My last yard!"

She would have sworn the way the torn canvas flapped uselessly was the wind's laughter.

Rising slowly, she stretched, then lowered the tiny sail, securing the useless tatters more out of habit before unshipping the oars.

"F'ck'n oars!" she muttered coarsely as she fitted them into the oarlocks. "Well, I can't wait fer da tide."
    Leading forward, she tilted the blades of the oars so they'd cut into the water and pulled, leaning back.

"F'ck!" she muttered.
    "F'ck!" she managed as she leaned forward, oars sweapinging back.
    "F'ck!" again as she tiled the oar blades to cut into the water....
    Spoiler: ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ √Ăłł Єѵïł ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ 

Domina Noctis
    Fantasy and Scifi
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Standing in front of a waist high mirror Avril buttoned the front of her coat up. It was a light blue color trimmed with gold. It has a very military look to it but wasn’t any of the colors used by any nation. It was very similar to her home nation of Aislall only their coats were a deep green. It wasn’t uncommon for civilian sailors of noble birth to create their own sort of uniform and Avril was fond of this one. She had spent quite a bit of money having a tailor design it for her. Once all the buttons were fastened she smoothed it down and adjusted the belt over it lining it up with her white trousers. Once she was satisfied with the look of her clothes she grabbed a brush from the table and pulled her hair back into a loose pony tail.

After she was done she walked over a couple steps to her bed dropping the brush into a duffle bag. The room she was in was small but she didn’t share it with anyone. Very few people got their own rooms it was usually just the captain and their senior staff. Avril was a commander aboard the NSC Evangeline a merchant ship belonging to the North Sea Company. An outfit which started out as a trading group but over the years had evolved into a privateering fleet sponsored by most of the major nations in the North Sea. They offered their services to whoever could afford them. The NSC Evangeline was gallon sized vessel mostly accustomed to performing escort services. Her room was on the inside of the ship not sharing any of the hull walls so the only light was from a small oil lamb hanging from the ceiling. She tied the bag closed and reached up flipping the lamp closed putting the small flame inside out before hefting the bag to her shoulder. It was a short walk down the hallway and past the port side guns. This was her work area aboard the ship Avril being the commander of the port side guns.

She made her way to the deck of the ship looking around. The crew was finishing up mooring the ship, they had arrived in the harbor during the night and had managed to make it to one of the dry docks. Avril walked to the railing of the ship and looked over the side seeing a large hole in the hull of the ship, measuring at least ten feet if not more. They hadn’t been able to see fully how bad the damage was but now in the dry dock it was clear. The Evangeline wasn’t going anywhere soon. They had been escorting a fleet of merchant ships when they were attacked by pirates. The crew had managed to sink the pirate ship but not without damage. Pulling away from the railing she noticed a boatswain mate tying a line down, “Where’s the pay master?” Avril asked, her accent a little melodic and very smooth.

“Up on the bow ma’am.” The sailor said, barely looking up from the line as he tied it off. “Captains up there too.”

Avril thanked the man and made her way up to the bow of the boat seeing an older man with a pair of reading glasses sitting at a table with a stack of empty bags and a chest on it. Next to him stood a middle aged man in a crisp red uniform looking out of the ship. Beside both of them were several sailors each armed with a pistol and musket should someone decide to do something stupid. As Avril walked toward them the captain noticed her and saying, “Curses not you too Blake. Can’t say that I can blame you. Poor Evangeline is going to be in dry dock at least three months and the company will only pay half wages until we are back at sea.”

“As you say Captain Stuart it is a shame.” Avril said, setting her bag down on the deck. “She is a fine ship, one of the best I’ve sailed on. However I can’t be afford half wages for that long. So sadly it is time to move on.”

“Aye, Mr. Smith pay the Commander out.” Captain Stuart said, looking down as the pay master counted out the coins and placed them in a small bag. Once the pay master was done and about to tie the bag closed Captain Stuart reached over dropping a few more coins into the bag. Then he let the man tie it up before handing it to Avril. “You’ll always be welcome at the North Sea Company should you ever find your way back home. Just stop at the head offices, I’ll be sure to forward a letter of recommendation for you.”

“Much appreciated Captain Stuart.” Avril said, shaking the man’s hand and picking up her bag. She walked to the gangway and onto the dock. She made her way into town ignoring most of the vendors set up on the dock. Being sure to stay far away from the fish mongers. As she walked she noticed a strange looking feller calling out to people as they passed by. She paid him no attention as she walked by. If he called out to her she didn’t notice. She was focused on finding her way to the local tavern, there she would be able to look for work and if she didn’t find anything today she could buy lodging. A short while later she found a place with a number of sailors hanging around and entered sitting down at the end of the bar. “Barkeep your finest merlot and not that watered down grape juice you keep behind the bar.” The woman gave her a dirty look reaching under the counter until Avril pulled a silver coin out of the bag and dropped it on the counter. The woman pulled out a glass and set it on the counter then turned around pulling a bottle off the shelf opening it, then pouring a glass. She picked the coin up and started to move away but Avril grabbed her arm. “Leave the bottle.” She said, knowing the coin was enough to cover the bottle and give the woman a generous tip.
    Last edited by AngelDellaNotte; 04-16-2018 at 06:48 AM.

Another round of bullets hits my skin. Well, fire away
    Cause today, I won't let the shame sink in. We are bursting through
    the barricades and reaching for the sun.

We Are Warriors

RPAs White Knight
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)

Moon watched as a lad was kicked off a ship, and what seemed like a well dressed officer of a merchant ship being left behind, probably having finished her time on that particular ship. She decided to follow the woman to the inn, walking past the voodoo man, rolling her eyes at his tricks. He was a conman, that much she was sure, probably pretending to be connected with the Order. If the Order found out, he'd be hung, and she knew it.

Once Moon entered the inn she saw the woman cradling a tankard in one hand and the bottle of wine in another. She sat down at the same table as her. "Chose to be discharged from your ship, or forced to?" she asked simply.

Thank you to Alice for making my sig and avi <3

Spoiler:  

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lucy Stafford leaned her chair back until it bumped the rough tavern wall behind her, keeping her expression carefully neutral as she studied the cards in her hand. She had them memorized, of course, but she always looked before making a decision to raise, call or fold. Doing the same thing every time made it easier to avoid giving anything away.

"Call," she said, sliding five coins toward the middle of the table.

The sailor to her left folded.

The sailor to his left pushed in a stack. "Raise seven." His mouth twitched just a little. Maybe he didn't even notice, but Lucy did.

"I'm out," said the weathered dockworker seated directly across from Lucy, laying down her cards and taking a sip from her mug of ale.

The next fellow folded.

"Hmm," the man to Lucy's right said, theatrically. His name was Steadman and he tended bar here, and as usually he'd stayed to play cards after his shift ended. He was a good player, but he could sometimes be goaded into taking stupid risks. "Raise ten," he said, sliding his bet in.

The damned fool. Lucy looked at her cards and laid them down. "I'm out, boys."

Steadman and the sailor took each other all the way up to twenty. As Lucy expected, both of them were full of it: the sailor won the hand with a pair of eights to Steadman's fives. She'd been working toward a seven-high straight, but wouldn't have bet ten on it, let alone twenty.

Lucy suddenly realized she was bored. "I think that'll be it for me," she said, scooping up the small pile of coins in front of her.

"Darn," said Steadman. "Catch you next time."

"Yeah," Lucy said, "maybe."

Truth was, she wasn't sure there'd be a next time. She'd been here a week, relaxing and thinking, and she was pretty sure she was ready to move on. This morning, she'd packed up everything she wanted to take with her to sea, all of which fit into a single pack. The rest of her belongings—mostly clothes and some old books—she thought she'd just leave the her room for the inn's staff to have their pick of. The people who cleaned rooms in places like this didn't get paid enough, so they were welcome to it.

She stood up and was on her way out when she caught sight of someone she hadn't seen around here before: a striking-looking woman in a light blue coat trimmed in gold, down at the end of the bar. Lucy could tell an experienced sailor when she saw one, and it occurred to her that this newcomer—who was likely stopping off here between voyages—might be exactly the kind of person she needed to get acquainted with if she meant to ship out soon.

So, instead of leaving, Lucy crossed to the bar and took the stool next to the woman in the blue coat.

"Whiskey," she told Mary behind the bar, who had the drink poured so quickly it almost seemed she'd conjured it from thin air.

Glass in hand, she turned to the stranger next to her. "To the lost," she said, raising her drink.
    Last edited by Avril; 04-30-2018 at 04:09 AM.

Archmage of RPA
    Depends on the day
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

James stumbled into the inn and stopped looking around the room. There were a few people already drinking and he could see their day was already being wasted away. James on the other hand would be right there with them. He needed a break today and surely alcohol would do the trick. Not to mention nobody ever checked ages, on top of that he was a pirate of sorts so he was sure he could get a drink if he tried hard enough.

James shifted his way over to one of the stools and sat up in the seat pulling a golden coin out and slamming it down on the table. "Bottle of Whiskey if you would." He spoke directly to the lady at the counter eyeing her as she grabbed one off the shelf snatching his coin from the counter top. Rude crossed his mind as she did so and he simply took the bottle and popped the top off of it. Of course she was a fine lady working in his eyes so that could give her some right to be as rude as she wanted but none the less she was rather rude.

The boy looked at the bottle and stared at it for a moment as he thought about the lovely situation of being thrown off his ship. On top of that his head was still bleeding and was beginning to ache rather horribly. James frowned at the thoughts and took a large swig of the bottle and set it back down trying to lose himself in the bottle itself.

Just while he was contemplating his situation he heard someone speaking aloud. "Chose to be discharged from your ship, or forced to?" of course it wasn't directed to him but he glanced over to the female being questioned and laughed at the matter. He shook his head and looked down. "Chose to or not it's all the same." He said to himself before taking another large swig from the bottle. Hopefully the effects would kick in and he could feel the buzz. It would cure the pounding in his head and on the outside of his head.
    Spoiler: Quotes? 

Spoiler: Kiros current favorite quote 

`、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)

The small boat was drawn up onto the beach with the help of some of the local boys, but Jack tied it neatly to the nearest tree to keep it from sailing off without her. Giving the boys her thanks, she hauled out her sea bag and made her way to the nearest tavern.

Once in side, she eyed the crowd, a good-sized number, trying to spot a place to sit with her bag, but the tables looked occupied. With a sigh, she bellied up to the bar, seating herself next to a boy drinking whiskey straight, looking nearly as miserable as her. The sea bag with its drawn-work fringe and elaborate bag lanyard she sat carefully aside her, against the bar, pressing a knee against it.

"Ale, two pints," she demanded hoarsely from the bar maid, holding up a few coppers. With a sniff, the bar maid pulled out a pair of earthenware mugs and filled them from the Ale keg, taking the coins before sourly handing the two over.

The first one she just thirstily drank, draining it dry in one long gulp before putting the mug down. Reaching for the second, she took a deep draft before setting it down with a satisfied sigh.

She gave the boy a companionable nod, then leaned forward to stare past him - two women, one dressed as... a Royal Navy officer?!?

A quick glance showed she was alone, no sign of any others. Leanding back carefully, she stared deep into her ale mug, watching the play of light on the amber liquid for a long moment before finishing it off.

"Ag'in," she grumbled hoarsely, trying to make her voice sound deeper, more masculine. The barmaid returned with a frothy mug but withheld it until she produced coin from her small pouch hanging from her belt.

The gold she had hid away from prying eyes.

The boy was hitting the whiskey a little hard.
    "You should get yerself an ale, yer head will thank ya," she muttered to the boy.

Domina Noctis
    Fantasy and Scifi
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Despite the early hour the tavern was filling out. Though that wasn't unusual in a port tavern, most were open around the clock as sailors and dock workers were known to keep strange hours. She noticed a card game going on but wasn't up for playing right now. Perhaps if she was stuck in port longer than she excepted she would join in a few games. It was a good way to keep her funds even until she boarded a new ship. Looking around some more she noticed a woman walk straight toward her and ask a question. Before answering she continued to look around seeing a young man walk in and pay far too much for a bottle of whiskey. “Voluntarily discharged, I sailed in on the Evangeline but sadly she won't be leaving port for quite some time.” Avril said, looking over to the young man as he drunk his whiskey straight from the bottle and mumbled something she couldn't quite hear. At the rate he was going it wouldn't take much for him to get drunk. Another man sat down as well going through ale just about as quickly as the first.

She looked to the barkeep as she walked by again and stopped her, “How about you get that young man some breakfast. Gods know what he paid for that bottle is more than enough to cover it. In fact I think it would cover my breakfast and my companion's breakfast.” Avril said, gesturing to Moon. “I'll take my eggs over easy.” Hinting to the woman that bread and cheese wouldn't be satisfactory. Arching her eyebrow she glared at the barkeep until she walked away to fix her breakfast. All the while Avril sat there sipping on her wine finishing her first glass and pouring a second glass. The barkeep brought two plates back both with over easy eggs, a couple pieces of bacon and some potatoes. She then dropped a bowl before the young man though his looked more like a scramble.

As she begun to eat she looked over to the woman who had approached her, “Avril Blake, who might I have the honor of speaking to?” Avril said, gesturing for the woman to eat as she turned to the gambler, “With wind in our sails and the stars to guide us we are never truly lost.” She said, raising her glass in a toast, it was an old saying common in the Aislallian Navy.

Another round of bullets hits my skin. Well, fire away
    Cause today, I won't let the shame sink in. We are bursting through
    the barricades and reaching for the sun.

We Are Warriors

`、、ヽ`☂ヽ`、ヽ`、ヽ
    Mentioned
    176 Post(s)

As she sipped her ale, Jack gave a silent prayer to the Surgeon. It was he who passed onto her his wisdom. Water in a new place could be clear and clean, but in towns and ports when drawn out of a well, it could give you the runs somethin' fierce. It was just something that happened when you put people together.

But, waxed the surgeon, let it seep for a few days in a barrel with some malted hops or oats, and you gave it a bit of a tang, that weak hint of alcohol. That you could drink by the bucket and only be mildly snockered - but your stern would be in safe harbors.

So in a new place, drink lots of ale until you grew to tolerate the water, Jack me lad, the surgeon snorted and winked. While she found it a bit hard to believe, she found his words to be true.

Pity it went bad just as fast. Captains preferred their crews to drink fresh water while on duty, and to keep the rum below when you weren't expected on watch.

Seeing food being brought to the lad beside her made her belly rumble.

"If ye be so kind," she asked the bar maid with her manish voice, "fetch me another ale? Do you have stew and a hunk of bread for a hungry soul what's been tossed by wave and current? Me gullet's no longer dry as a bone but it's awoken to a fierce hunger."

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast