Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: [M/IC] Class That Divides (Fanatasia and Naming)

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

It took a little bit of fumbling on his part, but Sennu ended up dealing with the buttons much easier than he had been expecting. It took only a few moments for their combined efforts to remove the dress entirely, leaving the princess clad in nothing but an extremely thin shift. The servant felt his cheeks quickly begin to heat up, and after a few moments he realised that he had been staring - not just at her body itself, but at the smattering of bruises across her torso that had been hidden up until a few moments ago. Apparently her injuries were much more extensive than he had originally assumed, though that was no excuse.

Praying that the princess had not noticed his unintentional transgression, the prince would accept her thanks with a simple nod of acknowledgement, quickly turning away. He would crouch down and quickly retrieve Aryende's discarded dress, busying himself with the simple task of folding it properly and setting it aside. The staff who attended the princess' rooms would take it to be cleaned later, when the princess was away and they could safely go about their housekeeping duties. He wouldn't pause in the slightest as Aryende questioned him on the matter of his work for the queen, though he did take a moment to consider the question.

"More often than most. I don't know what I did to win her approval, but at one point I had the pleasure of attending her several times a week " he would offer rather simply, moving back towards the princess' bedside as he spoke. After a brief moment spent glancing around, Sennu would reach up and pluck his handkerchief from the breast pocket of his coat, before folding the thing over in his hands a few times in quick succession. A part of him wished to question the princess on why she felt the need to ask, but Sennu knew it was not his place.

"Truth be told, I worry for her grace's health. I can only hope that she sees some measure of improvement soon, as unlikely as it may be" he would hastily add, before reaching for the water jug that he had collected earlier. The servant would unceremoniously dunk his handkerchief in the cool water within, before quickly wringing it out - leaving the cloth damp, but not dripping wet. Satisfied with its state, he would lean across and gently lay the thing across Aryende's forehead. Hopefully it would ease her discomfort somewhat, if not help her cool off. A proper compress would have been better for the bruises on her face, to help reduce the swelling, but the cold would be better than nothing.

"Better?"

Diverting from their current topic of conversation briefly, Sennu would watch the princess' face closely for a moment. He wanted to make sure that his actions were having the intended effect, and not causing Aryende any extra discomfort instead. That seemed unlikely, considering her earlier complaints, but it was better to be safe than sorry.

The knowledge that those damaged fingers still needed tending lingered in the back of Sennu's mind. That particular injury was the one he was least confident in his ability to deal with using just the materials he had on hand, and trying would likely prove the most uncomfortable part for the princess. Knowing that, he didn't see any harm in allowing the princess a brief moment of respite before he attempted to splint them, so long as she was mindful to not cause them any further harm. The damage to her ribs and ankle was equally concerning, but there was little he could do there, aside from suggesting that Aryende keep pressure off them and give her body time to mend.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Aryende breathed easier once her gown was removed, and she studied the servant, noting the way he was staring – but she saw very little reason to call him out on it. He may just be noticing the bruises to her torso, Gods knew they hurt enough that they must look ugly as could be.

Instead, she stopped staring and closed her eyes, listening as Sennu answered her question. "Would you like to know?" She inquired, her voice quiet. She didn't wait for an answer, before she spoke up, "I was sixteen, and Artemis had thrown me into a glass case, broke all of mother's best dishes..." She raised her left arm, displaying the raised scar, "...he didn't even stop to make sure I was okay. But," a brief smile found her lips, "You did. You'd just begun to work for us, so you didn't know that any other servant would have fled, left me by myself..."

She sighed as the cool handkerchief met her forehead, murmuring, "...So I asked Mother if she could find use for you." Her breathing trembled lightly, "She had been looking for a new servant, anyway, and..." Aryende's eyes closed, as she lost herself for a moment in the cooling notion of the compress across her forehead, "...she said, 'anyone who's brave enough to help you, before your brother is even out of sight, is the kind of person I want tending to me.'" No, her mother had not only said this – Aryende had been very open with her mother about her crush on the man, by the time she had made her way to ask her mother to request him. The Queen had told her it was hopeless, but that there was a possibility she could have the man one day, on the side.

As the years had passed, Aryende had realized she didn't want anyone else. It was ridiculous, to believe she loved someone for something they had done over ten years ago, but... It was her reality, and she couldn't fix that.

"Mother's strong," she murmured. Then, quietly, "Sennu? I want you to start fixing mother's meals yourself. I... Artemis isn't a good person. Father's too invested in mother, if she dies, Father will abdicate..." She adjusted her hand against her stomach, the fingers ached and she knew that eventually, Sennu would need to splint them. "...Please? Nobody will question you," Because he was one of the few master servants in the castle. The man had become her confidant the moment he had helped her, ten years ago. She'd trust him with her life.

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Caught slightly off-guard by the princess' sudden offer, Sennu didn't deign to answer at first. He couldn't help but wonder over the familiar question, one last time. The very fact that Aryende had offered to tell him meant that she already knew the answer, which gave the master-servant some inkling. Regardless, by the time he had made up his mind, the princess had already began to speak. He made no move to interrupt the royal as she began her story, largely since he had been just a few moments away from accepting her offer regardless.

For the first time since their return, Sennu would fall still, ceasing the endless barrage of small tasks that he had been busying himself with since they had arrived at Aryende's room. He chose to settle down beside the queen's bed instead, watching the princess' face as she closed her eyes and began her retelling. His attention would drift down to the scar on her arm as she drew attention to it, before settling back on her features. There was beauty there, beneath the bruises and the swelling, but that was hardly the only thing that drew the man's attention. For once, the princess' expression seemed truly relaxed. More honest. As if she had been wearing a mask every other time he had seen her at court, and it had just fallen away, giving him a glimpse of her true self.

“I remember” Sennu would offer simply, a hint of a smile flickering across his features. Recognition danced in his eyes, accompanied by…something else. Tenderness, perhaps? Some strange sense of care, beyond the duties of a servant, and the sense of loyalty that all the castle’s staff were supposed to feel. A glimmer of genuine affection, fleeting, but very much there. It was written plain across his features for a few brief moments, if the princess would just open her eyes and look. As the discussion moved on, though, it vanished just as quickly as it had appeared.

"It was Artemis who did this to you, then"

It was less of a question, and more of a statement. A rather presumptuous statement, at that. Still, Sennu was fairly certain that Aryende would correct him if he was wrong. Regardless, he avoided pressing the issue. Artemis towered so far above him that there was nothing Sennu could do - any move he could conceivably make against the crown prince would result in a swift and decisive execution. His anger was tempered by the cold, hard reality of the situation.

"I'll do all I can to help your mother. The last thing I want is to see either of you come to harm" Sennu would answer, punctuating his words with a not-so-subtle glance at the bruises on her midriff. Regardless, it seemed that the time for reflection had passed, and he still had work to do. If Aryende's words were true, he owed her a much bigger debt than that of a servant to their master.

"Now, lets deal with those damaged fingers, shall we?" he would offer rather simply, holding out his hand. He knew better than to just grab the princess, instead waiting for her to acquiesce. With his other hand, he would produce a scrap of cloth that normally would have been used by the cleaning staff - a poor substitute for some proper bandages, but it was the best he could do, considering the circumstances.

"I should really go fetch some proper dressings, and maybe make up some sort of compress for those bruises, but I'd have to get it past the physicians somehow. Besides, I'm loathe to leave you alone in such a state" he confessed rather simply while he waited. The man was unsure what the princess would make of the idea - whether she would accept the idea of better care for her injuries, under the preface that there was some risk of discovery involved in his attempting to retrieve said supplies.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Aryende's breathing faltered when the servant spoke her eldest brother's name, and she spoke quietly, "I... He's been so anxious about father, who he's going to allow to marry me... He's called father out on every suitor," she shook her head, "I don't think he wants me to marry, but it's my duty." That was all. Her duty.

She studied the man, and murmured, "Mother was feeling well, today. Father brought her fruits, from the orchards, so she didn't eat what was prepared in the kitchens." The princess' uninjured hand reached out to catch the man's offered hand, and her fingers curled against his palm. She almost seemed startled with herself, before she composed herself and began to speak: "It's going to hurt?" She knew the answer.

Her uninjured hand released his, and she murmured, "Don't leave me alone – can you bring my mother? Will you get her?" The Queen would listen to him. "Please? She... She might have bandages and compresses." Her mother often fell, and broke bones, or had a fever or new bruises. "Will you bring her?" The Queen trusted Sennu, and would gather anything she had without question, and if she had nothing, she would give the man an order to retrieve them, for her.

Aryende didn't want to be left alone, much less risk the servant being caught by a physician who would get nosey. That would just end badly for everyone involved, including the Queen, Aryende, and most likely Sennu. Then some poor commoner would cut the rap for harming her; and be executed in the town's square...

She knew how this went. She'd seen it all before, after all.

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

"It will, but a little bit of pain is better than the alternative. If the fingers don't heal properly, you might lose the ability to bend them altogether"

Sennu's voice was gentle as the princess reached out to take his hand, but his expression remained firm. Any short-term discomfort that the act of tending to her injuries might cause now would be nothing compared to the consequences of leaving them untreated, as Aryende would hopefully come to understand. True, he might have been exaggerating a little in regards to the severity of such a choice, but it seemed a better alternative than allowing a little squeamishness to cause the princess permanent harm.

Truth be told, the idea of bringing the queen here was not one that Sennu would have considered. Aryende was hardly in any sort of state to be entertaining company, and there was always the possibility that the queen would insist on more open action being taken. If neither of these facts bothered Aryende, though...well, the servant was content to trust her judgement on the matter. He might have served them both in the past, but they were family, and both knew and trusted each other as only family could.

Family who didn't beat each other, at least.

"...very well. I'll go see if her grace feels up to a visit. I'll be back as soon as I can" he promised, withdrawing his hand and rising to his full height once more. The servant would move towards the door then, throwing a brief glance back at the princess over his shoulder before slipping out into the hallway.

It was a relatively short walk from the princess' rooms to those the queen resided in, but the hallways were usually full of servants and maids, scurrying back and forth as they went about their business. Today, however, seemed to be an exception. Most of the master-servants would still be attending the king's meeting - the same one where Sennu himself was supposed to be. AS a result, he passed only a few minor members of the castle's serving staff on the short journey, before he finally arrived at the door that led to the queen's room.

As was only proper, the servant would knock on the large door several times, before reaching for the doorknob. Having announced his presence, he would push the door open just a fraction - enough for his voice to be heard within, but without allowing him to see into the room, just in case the queen was currently occupied. All very proper and formal, as was to be expected of a master-servant waiting on a member of the royal family.

"Your grace, may I come in? I carry a message from your daughter, princess Aryende" he would offer rather simply, waiting for the queen's permission before he entered the room good and proper.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Aryend released the man's hand, as he exited her room. He was hesitant, and she wondered what was going through his mind... She curled into her blankets, and she waited, patiently.

While waiting her thoughts wandered to Sennu--and she found herself upset. The first time he sees her body, and he can't help but stare in disgust at the bruises that mark her. Definitely not how she had always imagined it. It was twisted, to be thinking about this when she was still so injured, but...

..what could she do?

The Queen spoke softly, "Enter." She recognized the voice--her beloved servant; rather, her daughter's beloved servant. She was doing better today, as Aryende had not let her eat what the kitchen staff delivered for her. "Sennu, what a pleasure," she was still tired, but she stood slowly, hands clasping.

"Aryende? Has her father hit her again?" Her eyes narrowed briefly at the mere thought of her husband touching the girl. "Is she all right?" And briefly, she found herself asking: Why did Sennu end up tending to the princess, rather than a physician?

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Once the queen had bid him welcome, Sennu quickly pushed the door open the rest of the way and stepped inside, before gently closing it again. When he turned to face her, a genuine smile flickered across the man's face, and he gave her a formal half-bow by the way of greetings. Sennu had not been lying when he told Aryende that serving her mother was a privilege; she was a much kinder task master than most, and her company often proved enjoyable beyond what one in his profession could expect. Of course, while working under her was one of the few facets of his job that he enjoyed, that was no excuse for Sennu to eschew formality.

"The pleasure is all mine, your grace"

Of course, the tone of the conversation quickly turned sour as discussion turned to Aryende's current situation. Truth be told, Sennu was somewhat surprised by the queen's decision to address the matter so directly. Hearing the darker side of the royal family discussed so openly was something of a shock, though that would not stop the man from performing his duty.

"Not his grace the king, no. It was her brother, Prince Artemis. Aryende...the princess insisted that he was not to be implicated, however. That his involvement were to be kept secret" the man would answer simply. Aryende had asked him to keep her brother's involvement a secret, but if the queen was already privy to such knowledge, then there was little harm in it, right? Besides, surely the girl's mother deserved to know the truth of matters. He doubted the queen would take any direct action that would spark a larger problem, considering.

"She has requested that you pay her a visit, if you are able. The princess seemed to be under the impression that you might have something in the way of medical supplies. Bandages or compresses that she could make use of" the man offered simply, before falling silent as he awaited the queen's reply. He would gladly push her to the princess' rooms in her wheelchair, but only once her grace had approved. Aside from that, he seemed rather unaware of the scrutiny he was under, and the way the queen was silently questioning his involvement in the matter.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

“Mhm… Artemis has always picked on her.” The woman pursed her lips as she moved to gather bandages, and some unused compresses. “Please, will you take me to her room? I’m assuming she’s refusing to see a servant because of who hurt her…” It was wise. Artemis scared even his mother.

The queen would settle into her wheelchair with the requested provisions on her lap, frail hands clutching the soft bandages and firmer compresses tightly. Once Sennu had begun to wheel her to the princess’ room, she was quiet.

At least, quiet up until she saw her daughter, curled into a fetal position, sniffling. Her face swollen, various shades of bruising. She whispered quietly, “Dear, Aryende… I’m telling your father.” Her voice was firm, even as the younger woman began to protest softly.

Aryende’s protesting was met by the firm voice of her mother, “This is the fourth time he has done this—and I have heard, from the servants, that he has been stone-walling your betrothal agreements.” She snorted. “Every single betrothal, your father has refused because of Artemis. And dear, that simply will not stand. It isn’t safe here for you.”

Aryende groaned and closed her eyes, as her mother held the compresses up to Sennu. “I can manage, dear boy. Tend to her.” She was watching her daughter quietly, thoughtful of how she responded to the servant. He held such a high ranking amongst the other servants; she’d been considering having her husband bestow some low title to him… Perhaps, if she orchestrated it right, he could be the one to take Aryende away from the palace. Away from harm.

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

"Yes, your grace"

Aside from that one simple response, Sennu was largely silent as the queen readied herself, and the two of them set off for Aryende's rooms. He walked the halls with all the calm confidence he had tried to display earlier, now that any risk of retribution was nullified by the queen's presence. The journey itself went rather quickly, and before long they had returned. Praying that Aryende hadn't worsened during his absence, the servant quickly moved to hurry the both of them inside.

The servant pursed his lips briefly as the queen announced that this was the final straw, and he quickly threw a glance at Aryende to try and gauge her reaction. Her protest was more or less expected, though Sennu remained quiet for the vast majority of their exchange, despite his wishes to have a say. He was nothing more than a humble servant - what could he really do? Both of the women were well and truly above his station, and discussed family matters in which he had no right to an opinion. Still, they were the two he had spent the most time working with. Perhaps, if he phrased it properly, he could have some small measure of input.

At the queen's bidding, he took the bandages and compress' she had brought, and once again moved to Aryende's side. He kneeled down beside her bed once more, taking a few moments to get everything in order, before turning his attention to the princess where she lay.

"We'll deal with those fingers first, I think" he would utter; a mirror of the concerns he had voiced earlier. With the bandages at the ready, he would take her injured fingers to hand. With a gentle touch, he would probe at them in search of breaks. As soon as he had a somewhat clear idea as to what he was dealing with, he would bind the fingers together, bandaging those that were damaged to the few that seemed whole. Hopefully the limitations in movement, combined with the support keeping them straight, would be enough to have the breaks heal without any complications.

"There, that's the worst of it done with. It all gets better from here" he would offer simply, hoping that would help ease the princess' nerves somewhat. Taking the compress to hand, he would lean across and press it to bruises on Aryende's face. If they were watching closely, one might perceive something of a tenderness in the servant's gaze as he worked. A touch of compassion, or affection, hidden just behind his eyes. After a few moments of silence, however, he would speak up. His words were directed not at the princess herself, but at the queen seated opposite.

"With all due respect, your grace..." he started simply, trying to sound as polite and unobtrusive as possible. After all, he was coming close to overstepping his bounds here. "Isn't there a chance that dragging his Highness' actions to light will only put her Highness further at risk? If he believes she has spoken out against him, he might seek...retribution"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Sennu began with her fingers. It took everything in her not to scream, instead she whimpered against her free hand, nails pressed against her cheeks in pain. Then, it was over. They were bound; throbbing and definitely irritated but no longer easy to move.

He promised her that it would all get better from this point, and she groaned softly at the soft press of the compress, her eyes closed. He was gentle, and for that, she was thankful. It was the most relaxed she had been since he had found her. Then he was speaking. Not to her, and that was all she needed to know to let her mind wander off.

The queen nodded thoughtful, "And that is why, Sennu, I'll be arranging to have Artemis sent off. Most likely my husband will go with him, and the rest of her brother's as well. The war on the border is worsening, but my health had declined so terribly that none of them would leave." She adjusted her chair, and rolled forward so that she could caress her daughter's hair. "Perhaps, with the men gone, I can work out a betrothal agreement." She murmured, softly. "Get you away from here."

Aryende seemed to have succumbed to sleep, as her breathing had eased out. Her mother rested her hands in her lap, and studied the girl for a moment. "Take me to my chambers, and send for my husband, please. Then you are to return here--nobody else tends to her, or enters this room until she is well. I do not care if the crown prince himself tried to order it unlocked."

"For the bruises on her stomach, get tea leaves. If those don't help with the swelling, there is a healer--Deidrae who I trust. She lives in the swamps, and you will have to leave Aryende to find her, but she's the best." The queen fully trusted the man to handle her daughter's care. "I will be fine, one of the lower servants can tend to me."

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast