Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: [M/IC] Class That Divides (Fanatasia and Naming)

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

The journey north had been harsh and trying at times, and even after a few months, Sennu was still yet to adjust to the cooler climate. When he and Aryende finally finished their trip and settled in the Icelands, however, he seemed to settle into the routine of their new life startlingly quickly.

Just like Aryende, Sennu had gotten a job amongst the castle staff, acting as a servant once more. He had never learned any other skills as a child, and most trademasters would refuse to take on an apprentice his age. Besides, why ignore the wealth of experience he already had? He didn’t serve the royal family directly here, and had no friends quite as close as those at his old job. The faces of those he served were different, as were a few minor rules and points of etiquette. This time, he wasn’t in a scandalous secret relationship with anyone from the royal family. His duties, however, were amazingly similar to what he had undertaken back home.

In some of his more sombre moments, he often thought that he had simply exchanged the sun for the snow, and his mother for a lover. He quickly dismissed any such thoughts, however. The two of them had a simple life, and living in the north was harder, but it was one filled with small pleasures. He treasured the fact that they were to spend time together openly now, without fear of being caught or discovered. The chance to sit around together and enjoy the small moments, without having to worry about Artemis causing his love any further harm, was both a relief and a joy.

On the day of Aryende’s encounter with the queen, Sennu had an agenda of his own. During the few brief moments between jobs, he sought out the tailor in charge of outfitting the servants with their uniforms and the likes. Their own variation of a quartermaster, such as it was.

Sennu found Elana within her own working quarters - a small room not unlike a tailor’s store, but located entirely within the castle. A small and plump woman with flowing brown hair, she was good at her job, quick with a joke, and not above jabbing her clients with her needles when she felt it necessary. When Sennu let himself into her office, she tsked at him softly.

“You should really knock first, you know. Someone could be changing in here” she started. Her tone was stern, but amusement danced behind her eyes. “I was hoping I wouldn’t have to see you back here for another couple of months. Don’t tell me that you’ve damaged one of your uniforms already!” she offered in mock horror. Unable to help himself, Sennu chuckled.

“No, no. I’m afraid my business today is a tad more personal in nature” he answered, giving her a wry smile.

“Hm. You’d better have a seat then”

Only when the two of them were seated opposite each other, and she had forced a cup of tea into his hands - something to ward against the chill, as she put it - did she finally allow him to speak.

“I’m after...a ring” he finally offered, practically forcing the words out.

“Are you now?” Elana leaned forward across the table, her curiosity piqued. Sennu could practically see the jokes balancing on the tip of her tongue, searching for an opportunity.

“Jura is..

“What, pregnant?” she offered, finishing his sentence for him. Sennu gave her a pointed look, at which she grinned. “You forget, dear. I took her measurements, same as yours. If anyone here was bound to find out, it was me”

“...Right. The two of us have been together for a while now, so now that she’s with child, it seemed only fitting that it...well, propose”

“Are you certain? You don’t need to be married to raise a child together, or to prove that you love her”

“I’m certain”

She nodded, seemingly satisfied with the promptness of his answer.

“So, why come to me?”

“I’m not exactly familiar with any jewellers in town, but I figured that the royal family’s jewellery had to come from somewhere”

“Ah! Now I understand” she offered, the pieces finally clicking into place. “Well, I’m positively flattered. You’ve come to the right person, dear”

The two of them conversed amiably for a while longer, discussing a few of the specifics, and indulging themselves in some chatter besides. Eventually, Sennu excused himself, stating that he should probably return to work before he was missed. Elana let him go, but only after extracting promises of another visit soon, so that they could finish their business together.

When evening came around, Sennu went looking for Aryende, as he usually did, so that they could work home together. He spent several moments searching in vain, until one of the other staff members informed him that she had left early that day. Puzzled and perhaps slightly worried, Sennu set out for home himself, making the journey alone, and in thoughtful silence.

Once he got home and discovered his wife was asleep, Sennu moved softly, not wanting to wake her. He did kneel down beside the cot for a moment, a small smile plastered across his features. With a gentle touch, he reached out and brushed back a stray lock of hair, before leaning across to plant a gentle kiss on her forehead. Unaware of the stressful day she had had, Sennu couldn’t help but think she looked peaceful like that. That all was right with the world.

Yes. They had definitely made the right choice.

He turned his attention then to the fireplace, building it up a little more, so that it would hopefully keep them warm throughout the night. Then he busied himself about the house, doing what little he could whilst trying to avoid disturbing her, for more than one reason. Only once he was done would his thoughts finally turn towards bed.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Sennu worked hard to keep her slumber uninterrupted. However, when he turned to bed, she was waking up, arms above her head. It took her a second to remember where she was, before she smiled pleasantly at the man, moving to vacate the cot and find his side. She was warm, the fire had done its job, and she buried her face against his chest, mumbling, "'m hungry, do we have any fruit?" It was such a late hour, and she did not outwardly want to admit she'd fallen asleep without eating.

Her eyes were less puffy than before, by tomorrow they'd be fine again. She released her lover and moved to their kitchen area, pulling the last apple out of a cabinet, biting into it. She studied him quietly as she ate, before piping up: "How was work? I'm sorry I left without you, I was... tired." She scrunched her nose, still a terrible liar. "Queen Adrienne received word, at tea, that King Artemis is offering a reward for any who bring forth his sister." Her words were clipped. "She told me that it's obvious--I hold myself like a royal." She dug her fingers into the apple.

"She wanted me to confirm it, but..." She shook her head. "She wants to offer me a better position than a maid, though." She bit back into her apple, before she was searching for the shears. She'd been so excited when her hair started to grow out again; but...

"Cut it off." She moved towards Sennu, shears out. "Cut it all off. And... teach me to be everything but a royal." She furrowed her brow, wondering if it was possible to learn something she'd learned over the course of her entire life.

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Aryende's awakening was a pleasant surprise, despite how much care Sennu had put into trying to avoid it. He wrapped an arm around her in welcome when she approached, answered her questions- well, as much as he was able without ruining his newly planned surprise - and brushed off the apology that accompanied them. Despite his attempts at good cheer, however, Sennu pursed his lips when his lover told the tale of how the queen had confronted her, seeking the truth of her identity. News that word had spread so far was concerning, as was the possibility of someone knowing who they were. Even another queen.

Sennu took the shears when they were offered to him, but he held them gingerly, and gazed at them with something akin to a disapproving frown. After a few brief moments of thought, he glanced back across at Aryende, looking as if he might argue. After a few seconds, though, he let out a soft sigh. The servant grabbed one of the chairs that was sitting around their table, dragged it into an open space amongst their furniture, and gestured for the princess to sit. If he was going to do this, he might as well do it properly...or to the best of his abilities, at the very least.

"You're certain? It'd only take a few small changes. but trying to keep up the facade every moment of every day...it won't be an easy thing" he answered

Whilst he waited for her response, Sennu set about the task of cutting Aryende's hair short. Whilst one hand worked the shears, the other grazed her neck gently, gathering up manageable handfuls. He quickly settled on a length that he hoped would be short enough to disguise her, without going so far as to just remove it all. Strands of removed hair quickly began to pile around their feet, and whilst he was hardly a professional hairdresser, Sennnu at least did his best to keep it as even as possible. A better job than Aryende had done herself during their flight, to be sure.

"I'd say its mostly posture and speech, at a guess" Sennu mused, even as he continued to work. Posture could wait until he was done, so she could stand without interrupting him, but there was no reason to avoid starting now. "You speak too clearly for a commoner. Most regular folk tend to slur the end of their words a little, like they're dropping a letter here and there" he offered, before pausing temporarily. Another quick once over, and he was more or less satisfied that the job was done.

"I think that should about do it for the hair. What do you think?" he asked, giving Aryende a chance to voice her thoughts before he set the shears down, just in case she thought more adjustments necessary. They could continue any instruction in just a moment.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Aryende sat quietly, fingers trailing along her stomach as she listened to the quiet snipping of the scissors through her hair. "I can pretend," she murmured, keeping herself still as possible, despite the instinct to nod her head. "But... we work for the royals. We should seem literate. You seem literate." She clarified, tilting her head back, as he was done cutting her hair.

After a moment of running her fingers through her hair, she nodded. "This is nice. Not too short," not as short and uneven as the last haircut she'd given herself, either. With a few adjustments she was certain her lover would make a nice barber. Once she was back on her feet, she turned to face the man, bright eyes curious.

"What do you slur, Sennu?" She inquired, taking a step forward. "Do... you think our child will fit in?" She scrunched her nose, murmuring, "What if they don't? What if they stand out?" It was a new, but currently reoccuring thing--constantly worrying about their unborn child. It'd started with preparing a space for the little creature, obtaining a crib, various other supplies. Much of what she had obtained would not fit into their small home. Which is most likely what made her bring up the higher-paying job... She was used to comforts they did not have here--things she wanted for their child.

Once nesting was done, it had briefly turned into mapping out their child's friends--acquaintances--life. Now? It was fretting over the fact their child might not fit in with this nation of people. She shook her head, and murmured, "Teach me how to walk."

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Haircut complete, Sennu nodded in gracious acceptance of his wife's praise, a small smile turning up the corners of his mouth. The servant stepped away from the chair, and spent a few moments busying himself with putting the scissors away now that he was done. He worked methodically, his hands performing the task with the same innate grace he seemed to carry when working at the palace. And of course, he talked throughout, doing his best to answer Aryende's questions and soothe her fears.

"The ends of words, mostly. That's usually the safest bet, and the easiest to imitate. Instead of saying Morning, try Mornin' instead. Try and really focus the next time you speak to one of the other serving women, and try to imitate what they do. It'll be easier for you to copy them than me" he answered as he worked. When his task was done, Sennu turned towards his wife again, his forehead wrinkling as she advised him of her newest fear. A thousand different thoughts about how all children were somewhat unique sprung to the front of his mind, but Sennu quickly bit them back. Such things would do little to soothe her fears.

"They will. As much as any child ever does. We'll make sure of it" he cooed softly, speaking in gentle tones. He leaned in to plant a soft kiss on her lips, before turning his attention to Aryende's posture, at her request. The servant spent a few moments in silence, his lips pursed as he tried to pick up on all the subtle things that made up her body language.

"Its in the shoulders, I think. You don't slouch enough" he offers, stepping around to the side of her. "You don't stand as straight-backed as you did when you were a princess, but that's probably just because of the baby. You might pass for a regular commoner, but its not exaggerated enough for a pregnant one" he offered. He reached out as if he intended to embrace her, using his hands to gently adjust her neck, shoulders, and back into a position that seemed slightly move convincing. When he was satisfied, the servant took a step back, before gesturing towards her.

"Okay, walk towards me now"

He'd get her to repeat the action a few times, first normally, then while she was holding a plate that served as an approximation of one of the trays she might carry whilst at work. Sennu spent the entire procedure trying to point out small things she might be able to adjust, accompanied by appreciative praise. He was still new to teaching this sort of thing himself, and a lot of his information was guesswork, but he kept that to himself. Aryende already had enough stress with the baby, and he didn't want to add to that any more.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Aryende scrunched her nose at the man, huffing quietly. She made note of his statement, about slurring the ends of her words and being more careful when she spoke with the other serving staff. She still was not used to working, or doing the minute things she had once had the staff for. She blinked slowly as the man crooned promises, of how they would make sure their unborn child fit amongst the people, and she sighed into the kiss.

It was soft. Fleeting. Gentle. While he was studying her body language, she began to feel more uncomfortable--uneasy. She was already a bit put-off, due to the weight gain that came with pregnancy, though she'd never voiced such a thing to him. In her world, the world she'd known before: you did not voice your thoughts about yourself, for someone would surely take offense. You kept it to yourself and cried when nobody was watching. Royals had to be perfect. At ease with who they were. Public speakers, and so forth.

A fleeting bout of self-hatred courses through her, when he tells her that she does not stand as straight-backed as she once had; and that it was probably due to the baby--he meant due to the weight, she was certain. Illogical, but she wasn't exactly in the most logical and stable mindset. As he adjusted her posture, she squirmed against his touch before she stilled, and like putty, allowed herself to be molded.

It was uncomfortable. New. Different. She hated this. Aryende, however, moved forwards slowly, shuffling her feet a bit more than usual--she'd need to figure out this new posture thing. It'd probably hurt her back, but she'd get used to that. When he had her carrying small things, adjusting her, she paid attention. After all, he would not be around all the time to remind her--she'd need to remember.

"Mmm," she murmured, after a few repetitions. "'m sleepy again. Join us?" She offers, abruptly placing the plate onto the nearest surface. It was a wave of fatigue--and a wave of nausea--all at once. It was common; sometimes while working she'd move too fast and get a bit dizzy, but it always passed. Without waiting for his answer, she was moving back to the pallet by the fireplace, carefully lowering herself to the soft blankets once more.

"We need a bigger place to live," she murmurs. It seems as if she has more to say, but instead, she simply lays on her side and curls up, facing the fire. Conversation Ended. For now.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567