Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: [M] Runes

The Scottish Fluff
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Willing to give everything a try
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)

The temptation to drop the head echoed around her skull as this “Red” just ignored them. It made rage pin prickle it's way through her stomach, to be pushed to the background like she was nothing more than one of the large boulders that littered the soil around them. The woman was stupidly sure of herself to pass over questions to dote on the Mer. It was concerning, the attention the newcomer gave her. Perhaps Red was smitten… Or her intentions were not as simple as they first thought.

“I heard the fighting, came to watch, the red mage attacked me, I fought back, he ran away” What a fucking coincidence. A single glance downwards was gifted to the loaf as Red said that the enemy mage ran away. “then I found this beauty.” Her stomach flipped as she let her gaze return to the Mer. Ew. This Red one appeared out of thin air, fought an enemy...and now is making love struck googly eyes at the Mer. Why? The word burned a joke through the tip of her tongue. She didn’t get a chance to air her thoughts when Solar spoke his mind and waited for a response.

“Oh, Red Lady will not kill you.” the ethereal creature lilted, matter-of-factly, “Red Lady does not care about you.”

It appeared to be the wrong response for Solar. The man let a deep breath escape his cracked lips before sending an unamused glare to the ground. His gaze dragged over the group as of he was searching for another voice of reason. One was missing. A small crinkle burrowed into his forehead and he let his heavy feet kick dust up as he moved away from the group.

The Wanderer remained silent. Letting the others voice their concern as dull eyes dragged over the newcomer. She agreed with the Wraith. The woman had given no reason for them to trust her. “I don't like it” Her voice clear and strong as she kept a firm grip on her axe. “You have given us no reason to trust you. All that Ambie has confirmed is that you are more preoccupied with trying to get closer to the Mer… for what appears to be unsavoury reasons.”

“We are not a group of people out for vengeance. Out to settle a fucking feud that started 5 minutes ago or fuck something they set eyes on 3 minutes ago. This is bigger than you, so unless you realise that...I don't see any point you joining us.” The Wanderer let her words settle like the dust around them. The red one grinned and gripped the Mer’s hand tight. “This isn’t some fucking children’s adventure...Oh for fucks sake.” She turned her attention to the head in her hands. “You’ve been quiet for once….What’s your opinion on this?”

The loaf opened his mouth to spout some egotistical bull shit when Solar’s voice broke through the momentary silence. “Over here. Now.” The urgency in his voice was unusual, enough to make the Wanderer stop glaring at the newcomer and the Mer. She didn’t give the loaf any chance to refuse to go any closer, she moved closer to Solar’s voice and kept her axe close by her side. Blood had a horrible smell and the closer they got to Solar, the more it became overwhelming.

Raven lay motionless before them. His eyes wide open, staring at a non-existent foe. Another had fallen. Her lips tightened into a thin line and she let a deep sigh escape her nostrils. The look in the Raven’s eyes was gut wrenching but her attention was dragged to the fact that his leg was missing. Jagged edges told her it was teeth that had torn the leg from his body. What the fuckity fuck was big enough to do that...and yet somehow none of them had noticed it...

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

The Loaf in her hands seemed to be thinking along the same lines.

“Eeech.” the Immortal said, pulling a face. “Perhaps we should get moving sooner rather than later?”

“And just leave him here?” Solar challenged, glancing back at Wraith.

“Solar’s right.” said Illusion. “We should at least bury him.”

The Immortal sighed as if she had caused him a great personal inconvenience, and rolled his eyes towards the pile of rubble that had been brought down during the wizards’ duel. A bolt of invisible force zagged past the other mages, and with a teeth-itching buzz the rocks and earth lifted themselves to pour down over Raven’s savaged corpse. In moments their former companion had disappeared.

“There, he’s buried.” the Immortal huffed. “Can we go now?”

Solar shook his head, arms crossed. “What’s your problem?”

“Besides being broke, bodiless and stuck with you people?”

“You know, you don’t have to be a dick.”

The Immortal raised his eyebrows. “True. But why deny myself one of life’s simple pleasures?”
    Spoiler: My RP links 

PM me for novelised versions of any of my RPs, or ones that I have participated in. Set by the awesome Karma.

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

Spoiler: Secrets - Volume 3 

Part 3 - The Mer

By now the sun had risen to its peak, and in the middle of the dry season its heat pressed down like a physical force. A cooling breeze from the sea kept the air bearable, wuthering across the beach every few seconds to send whitecaps scudding over the waves, and tugging at the clothes of the six companions who now stood at the water’s edge.

Wraith and the others were alone on the beach - most of the villagers were either taking shelter from the midday sun, or else still hiding from the rune duel they had heard echoing down the mountainside. Their only companions were the seabirds, hovering above them on the rising thermals as they eyed the waves for fish.

“Now.” the Ambassador said, blinking her liquid eyes at the group. She was holding the Immortal’s head in her hands. “We must swim.”

“I wouldn’t mind the refreshment.” Solar commented. “But I’ve never tried holding my breath for more than a couple of minutes. You still got those runes you stole from the bitch at the river?”

The Ambassador propped the Immortal in the crook of her arm as she retrieved the small bag that Wanderer had given her for safekeeping. She looked at the bag for a second.

“All touch...yes, good.” Holding the bag up, again rather gingerly, she handed it off to Solar.

“Do you want me to touch you with it?” Illusion offered, speaking to the Immortal’s severed head.

The Immortal offered her one of his winning smiles, but this one was pyrite false. “I once spent six days in a flooded cavern network, searching for the rune of preservation. Also, as people never seem to get tired of pointing out, I’m a freaking disembodied head - and I’m still talking. You really think I need your pissy air-bubble rune to survive underwater?”
    Last edited by Azazeal849; 07-17-2019 at 07:22 PM.

PM me for novelised versions of any of my RPs, or ones that I have participated in. Set by the awesome Karma.

Fantasy
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Red couldn’t help but crack a small smile. She sort of liked the severed heads smartass comments. She didn’t know what or who he was, or even how he came to be a severed head, but she liked the unique air she felt from him. He reminded her of someone from her past. Several people actually, when she thought about it hard enough. There was always someone like him in a large group. Since she had been in several over the years, she recognized his place among the other immediately. Like every time before though, she didn’t imagine herself staying with these people very long. Especially with the axe woman’s views. Red didn’t feel unaccustomed to being rejected, and it didn’t bother her much. Still, Red felt a microscopic urge to prove to that woman that she herself had survived this long, and had done things her own way which poses no threat to how the short woman’s axe would swing. She pushed the urge away though, and instead recalled the feelings of joking and laughing with her last group of comrades. Something she would avoid with this group. She didn’t want to get attached, despite the Mer’s beauty, or stay too long. The memory passed by her quickly as she shook her head free of the thought, urging her to let out a soft pondering “hmm,” apparently unaware of herself.

She looked out at the open water, the rolling waves, and remembered why she loved the sea.
    “Mer,” she called softly. “Just how wet are we getting here? Can I keep this all one or should I take it off right now?” She gestured to her robes, her gloves having been placed back on her hands, and her scarf having been pulled back up over her mouth. Despite the way it sounded coming from her lips, the question was completely serious.
    Last edited by Katrina; 12-08-2018 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Forgot something

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

The Ambassador tilted her head, blinking.

“Oh yes.” she said almost mischievously, handing the Immortal’s head to Wanderer and spreading her arms as she turned a circle. “We all get very wet!”

She paused, hands coming together as she tilted her head again. “Landwalker never touch water before?”

Solar loosened the string on the bag he had been handed, revealing the glinting runestones. He raised an eyebrow at Red, all swathed in heavy cloth despite the heat. “Are you not baking in all that?”

He touched the rune and pulled his fingers back as if from a static shock, before handing it to Wraith.

The Scottish Fluff
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)

Even with the gentle kiss of cool air, the sun was gathering sweat on her brow and neck. It was an uncomfortable heat but she continued on with the others. Her feet pleading with her to stop walking over the blistering hot sand. The water had made her stop in her tracks when they first came across it. It was more than she had ever seen before. It reminded them all just how big this world was. The screeching seabirds were slowly getting on her nerves.

There was something eerily beautiful about the Mer as she stood before the water. It was as if she was finally back with a missing piece of herself. “We must swim” Excuse me. The Wanderer glanced at the freezing water and slowly crossed her arms over her chest. Like fuck she was swimming. Solar came out with a surprisingly intelligent comment and the wanderer was glad that she had sneakily touched the runes before handing them to the Mer. A soft snort left the wanderer as Illusion asked the Immortal whether he’d like to be touched by the runes. His response was now expected, a smug smile and something about how great he was.

“Dickhead” She let the word barely brush her lips as she raised an eyebrow at the loaf. If the wanderer face palmed every time that the Mer was asked something that sounded vaguely inappropriate or someone made an innuendo...her face would have a permanent hand shaped bruise. No one was helping the situation here and the wanderer was expecting the loaf to come out with the dirtiest old man laugh known to man. When the weighty head was gifted back to her, the wanderer turned him over and repeated his own words to him. “You really think I need your pissy air-bubble rune to survive underwater?”

“Shall we find out?” She winked at him and placed him gently on the ground, facing the water. There was a clear path to the water on her right. He had been a constant grate on her nerves the entire journey. Constantly demanding to be held high enough to see where they were going at all times. He only wanted to be held by certain people, his requests were never polite and his snark had finally gotten on her last nerve.

Cool metal rested against the back of his head. She gave him just enough time to question it before she reared the axe back and gently whacked the back of skull. Not enough force to send him flying through the air...but strong enough to make him skip over the final few steps to the water and land with a glorious “plop” in the water.

The wanderer let out a deep sigh with a genuine smile on her lips. She had been thinking about doing that the entire journey here. “Come on then.” Her harsh voice sounded as she ran the last few steps, swinging her axe onto her back and dove into the water. Sand brushed her stomach as her form was barely covered in the water. Green eyes snapped open in search of the freaking loaf, half expecting to see him floating upwards with all the goddamn hot air that filled his skull.

Fantasy
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Red didn’t look at Solar, but spoke loud enough for everyone to hear. “It’s a bit uncomfortable, yes, but I prefer being covered than exposed.” She reached out as she spoke and touched one rune with her fingertips. She looked straight at Ambie and spoke with a smile. “I’ve been in water before. Plenty of times.” She looked at the rolling waves and contemplated how possible it would be to create a room with her own rune and just use that to preserve air. She decided quickly she wanted to withhold as much information from these people as she could. She looked at Ambie to say she was ready, but was stricken by the Mer’s beauty, as she stood before the water. She thought back to the moment she first saw a Mer. Years ago, when she saw a head emerge from the water while she ate on the cliff side. The brilliant blue skin, the raindrops bouncing off the waters surface. The gleaming eyes that locked with her own.

Red let out a reminiscing sigh, smiling beneath her scarf. “Ambie. Ready when you are.”

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

The Ambassador looked slowly around the group. “Follow, then.”

The mer stepped down into the water, wading forward until the water was dragging at the hem of her tunic. She halted suddenly, motionless save for the breeze plucking at her salt-crusted dreadlocks. She tilted her head back, spread her arms wide...and flopped face-first into the water.

For a moment there was only the rustling of surf, and the nonplussed silence of Wraith and Wanderer’s companions. Then a great blue fishtail reared up to slap the water, and the Ambassador’s head breached the surface a moment later, vivid red hair plastered to her face. She raised both arms into the air and beamed, palms turned outwards triumphantly.

“Follow!” she urged again, and began to swim out into the open water.

As Wanderer edged into the water, the half-submerged head of the Immortal narrowed its eyes and blew a fountain of angry bubbles in her direction.

They were perhaps a half kilometer away from the shore when the mer stopped again, treading water. She stared intently, mesmerized by some fixed location before her.

She grinned evilly, her eyes glittering as words broke from her lips, in a language none of the party could decipher. Her voice was suddenly low and echoed unnaturally, sounding more like a whale’s melody than that of a human.

The water around them began to surge, looping around them in a great whirlpool with life of its own. Before long the raging cascades rose in height, and like stooping giants swallowed the party whole into the depths.

Through the wavering bubbles that covered their heads, the group saw little at first but waves of silt ribboning through the murky water. Slowly however the eddies settled, and a dull blue glow began to manifest below them. They were vaguely aware that they were still sinking - down and down and down again. They were drifting too, carried by the Ambassador’s conjured current, though it was impossible to tell how far or how fast.

The chill water warmed as they descended, and the glow of light intensified to outline tall spires of coral rising up to meet them. Between the lumpy, beckoning fingers, they could see carpets of green kelp, delineated into farm-like squares. The blue light came from long plants that snaked around the coral towers, each vine heavy with bioluminescent fronds that swayed in the current. The light-draped coral fingers became larger as the group sank towards them, eventually closing around them.

They sank further, down between two of the squared-off kelp forests. Wanderer and Wraith could see a sandy floor below them, broken by thin fissures which vented smoky streams of hot water. The coral towers loomed high over them now, and crowded between their glowing vine mantles were bursts of colour where anemones and other sea life had colonised the spires. Shoals of little fish darted around the towers, but they saw no larger creatures.

There was no sound, except the low roar of the vents. No, that was not the right way to describe it - for there was some kind of vibration carried by the water, a melody of some unknown origin. Mysterious, dark, enchanting…and foreign.

To anyone not hailing from this place, the introduction to this new world felt undesired, almost scary and unneeded. But needed it was, for they still had much to accomplish.

Under the heavy blue glow, the Ambassador began to propel herself along the path between the kelp with slow sweeps of her tail. Wraith and Wanderer became aware of a steady clicking sound, rising and then fading away - first to their left, then to their right. It came in bursts, like dolphin chatter. The humans could not escape the impression of voices, talking back and forth in an alien language.

Suddenly the Mer were all around them, emerging out of the kelp and drifting from behind coral reefs. Their pale bodies shone under the blue light, patterned skin merging into silvered scales. Their eyes were huge and dark, but when they caught the light of the coral vines they shone back like lamps. None of them carried a visible weapon, but somehow there was still something threatening about their empty hands. They silently surrounded the group, long hair drifting freely in the current, feline eyes glowing.

The group noted that the Ambassador seemed unwilling to oppose the silent circle, avoiding direct eye-contact in a way which was nothing like how she normally acted.

Another stream of clicks rippled around the circle of Mer. It was impossible to tell which ones were making the noise - their lips didn’t move. Wraith and Wanderer both felt an odd sensation, like cold water trickling through their ears and diffusing across the inside of their skulls.

Why?

The thought appeared simultaneously in their heads. From the way Illusion and Solar flinched, they guessed that their companions had heard the same thing. The voice in their heads was not their own - it was low, and very, very sure of itself.

Why? the thought manifested again, and this time the clicking around them intensified, and a dozen other thought-voices chorused behind the first, echoing coldly around Wraith and Wanderer’s minds. Why? they whispered insistently. Why-why-whywhywhywhywhyhyhyyhhyyyy?

The Scottish Fluff
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)

The sudden burst of colour made her pause. Crimson hair lapped at the Mers shoulders and a new beautiful tail replaced her legs. A word was thrown at them and the wanderer sighed softly. Now to follow the overgrown tuna to their deaths. She would have pushed herself forward, letting the cool water dance over the goosebumps that littered her arms but….Laughter burst free from her lips, true belly laughs as the Immortal floated before her. A fountain of angry bubbles came towards her and she knew the words he was calling her would make Illusion blush.

With a wink, she tugged him closer and deposited him in her bag. He was still floating within and through a small gap, he could see everything that they did. The wanderer knew he would have prefered to be attached to someone's head or be held by the Mer so he could be first to see everything. But he got the bag. It was the best she could do for now.

The wanderer was not raised near a large body of water. Her swimming was child like. She had been forced to escape through narrow rivers when she first fled her home. But nothing like this. There was something terrifying about the emptiness around them. It echoed deep in her chest. They were vulnerable with the depth underneath them. Fighting now...would just not be possible. The crimson fish demon stopped and words spilled from her lips. Not one word was a language that the Wanderer had heard before.

A curtain of water rose around them and panic struck deep into her bones. A soft chorus of “no” left her throat. Fear was etched into her face. Her bag was curled close to her chest as water crashed around them, the current dragging them downwards. Her eyes remained tightly shut as the rune gifted her air to breath. Tears dribbled down scarred cheeks, each breath was harshly dragged in. Silt danced around them and her eyes snapped open when she could feel it gritty texture drag against her skin. Wrinkled fingertips let the bag float before her. For a single moment, she held eye contact with the Immortal before letting him floating to her side.

This sinking sensation was new. She did not like it. She wasn't in control. She could not stop it. All she could do was concentrate on the back of the Mer and plead to whoever was listening that this wasn’t a trap.

Life. She had not expected to see life underneath the blue. Colours that should only be on land. Coral that seemed to reach for them, kelp that danced in welcome and blue light...Another attempt was given to kick herself away from the coral that they were heading for. It failed. She was so easily sucked in with the others. The sea floor should have given her some comfort, they couldn’t go down any further….right. It only filled her stomach with dread. If the bubble around her head burst, she had no chance in reaching the surface in time. A single glance upwards was enough to floor her.

The new noise was only slightly louder than her thundering heart in her ears. This was a mistake, to come down here. To come where they held the upper hand. The wanderer couldn’t place the clicking. It seemed to come from all around them. It felt like the coral was watching them...like the clicks were them talking about the newcomers. The bastards.

It felt like an ambush. They held no weapons but their presence and numbers made her push herself back to the others. Forcing the group to stay closer together. Their Mer was acting strange. It did not help the uneasiness that the Wanderer felt. The sensation that forced itself into her body against her will made her shake her head violently. Why? Why what? Why were they here? Why did the Ambassador.Why did the Ambassador bring them? It didn’t seem like their Mer was going to respond so Aggie swallowed her pride and fear.

It would have been humourous to see. A grown woman with an axe strapped to her back and a severed head in her bag….doggy paddling towards their Mer. When close enough, her left hand reached out to touch the pale blue skin of the Ambassador. Hoping to wake her from whatever shame trance she had herself in. The wanderers dull tired eyes snapped up to the Mer surrounding them, no longer shying away from their cold gaze. Floating by the Ambassador, she raised her chin and stared down those who continued to click. “We need your help.” She said plainly.

Fantasy
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

The fear on the Wanderers face was clear. Red almost felt bad for the axe woman, but she was too enveloped with her own amazement to feel anything for the woman who had tried to verbally cut her down earlier. She glanced over her shoulders, twirling in the water in near weightlessness, grinning beneath her scarf. She quickly fell behind the rest of the group. The shimmering blue, the colorful corals and strings of kelp. Red felt a kind of fascination she hadn’t felt in years.
    The Mer surrounded her, dominant in their domain. Yet Red felt no fear. No danger. Instead she felt enchanted. She heard the axe woman making sounds like speech, but wasn’t sure what exactly was being said.
    Red ungloved one hand, then outstretched it towards the encirclement of Mer, offering and asking in one gesture.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast