Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Horror, Fantasy, Scifi
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default (May '18) Prompt #1 - "At the circus"

May's 1st prompt is
    "At the circus"

If you have any questions about how to participate in this event,
    please visit the The rules and Guideline thread or PM Karma.

Feeling like offering us a prompt?
    Do you want to see your idea featured as one of the Month's prompts?
    Click here to learn more!

ideas? . Hogwarts . WTRT: Side Roads
    my life is still a mess pm me if you want to check in
    vote for RPA

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fandom, Fantasy, Sci-fi, Action/Adventure
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

He sucked in air greedily as soon as the biting air slapped him in the face. He choked, coughing on the salt water he dragged with him beyond the choppy surface. His chin dipped back into the water as he felt himself lose his level but he didn't submerge fully again as he hacked out a lung. Or, well, the minute amount of salt water he had inadvertently inhaled.

He squinted at his surroundings, eyes burning from whatever else was in the water he didn't want to know about. It was dark - far darker than he had hoped it would be - but the full moon was becoming clearer with every blink and he was starting to be able to see more completely.

A gust of sea spray pelted his face and he flinched, curling away and clamping his eyes shut in an attempt to protect his clearing sight. It worked, thankfully, but it was a reminder he didn't need.

The waves were reaching heights he was not particularly favorable for, especially when it meant he was getting farther from shore.

There was a very familiar chiming beep in his ear and he nearly sobbed with relief. He shook what water he could from his hand before pressing at the device on his ear.

"Whoever you are, I could kiss you right now."

"Tony?" came the startled, static edged reply. His heart dropped. Oh. He knew that voice. Knew it rather intimately, not that the other would know that, and now he was desperately wishing he hadn't opened with that line. Thankfully, it didn't seem to have fully registered in the caller's brain what he had said and he was at a point in all this that he was tempted to actually kiss said caller when they were face to face next, secret crushing be damned. "Thank God. Tony, we're triangulating your signal now and will be there as soon as possible."

"You in the quinjet?" he questioned idly. A massive wave sent him under and he missed the reply. He came back up gasping and coughing again.

"Tony!"

"I'm ok," he wheezed, "but you may want to hurry up whatever you got planned, Cap. Not sure how much longer I can hold out against the incoming storm."

Someone cursed on the other end. It was too muffled from the mic for him to pick it out but he hoped it was Cap. He pleased him every time he heard the Brooklyn accent sneak in when the soldier cussed. It reminded him that the other was just as human as he was.

He went under again, this time by his own doing. His head was above water shortly thereafter, thoroughly reminded that he needed to focus.

"Tony."

He sneered. Not that he could help it. He hated hearing his name spoken in such a way. "Can it, Rogers. I don't need your pity nor your 'woe-is-me' attitude, so stuff it where the sun don't shine and get me out of this frigged ocean so that I can find the nearest hot shower and down a bottle of whiskey while I'm at it. Maybe even eat something hot, I don't know."

"Tony."

His name cut through his thoughts, the word heavy with so much more than the strain the last one did. It made his chest feel tight to hear the exasperation, the worry, the fear with is own name.

"I don't hear anyone else. You're not coming to get me on your own, are you? Because that would be rather stupid of you to not come without backup, Cap. I thought we'd been over this."

Spray off the nearby wave crest pelted his face as his chin sank beneath the water. He was getting tired.

"The others are in the main part of the quinjet. I'm alone in the cockpit."

"Why?" A bemused laugh coloring the undertone of the word.

"Do you remember that time at the circus?" He felt the breath leave his lungs. "The one where you were vehemently adamant it was a business thing and you were only dragging me along because no one else was available?"

"Yeah, what about it?" he countered a bit sharper than he had intended. He was tempted to just sink beneath the water to not hear the other's response but morbid curiosity made him keep his head elevated.

"There had been that photo booth next to some of the booths outside the main tent. I had made some off comment about it, something about not getting the point or not having enjoyed it or something equally dismissing."

He remembered; Steve had caught sight of the old photo booth and had grabbed at Tony.

It hadn't been the first time that afternoon but it still made him jump when Steve's large hand wrapped around his wrist, firm but ever so careful. "Tony, look. They've got a photo booth."

Tony rolled his eyes and patted Steve's hand. "I can see that. Do you want to try out the fun fantastical futuristic technology, oh 'Man Out of Time'?"

Tony's lips quirked towards a smirk as Steve shot him a flat look despite the enjoyment dancing in those blue eyes. "Don't patronize me, Stark. You forget that I had photo booths back in my day."

That didn't change the fact that he was leading Tony directly to the thing. He grinned, the expression feeling just a tad too tight. "Ah, right. The age before the selfie stick."

"I still don't understand that," Steve commented offhandedly as he pushed back the curtain that was in rather good condition, all things considered. Tony doubted Steve even noticed as excitement exploded across the other man's face. Those blue eyes turned on Tony so full of emotions that he found himself drowning in them. "Do you want to take a few photos before we move on?"

The 'yes' was nearly passed his lips before Steve was even done. But then reality seeped into the fantasy and Tony found other words tumbling off his tongue instead. "You do remember we're here for business matters, right?"

This was not a date and photo booths were meant for dating couples or large group of friends. Or a pair of teens, not a pair of fully grown adult men.

"Come on, just one set."

Steve could have been asking him to go fetch him the nearest star and Tony still would have agreed as readily as he did now, his sanity be damned. "Alright." He raised a finger. "Just one set."

They did two. Would have done three if Tony hadn't ruined the mood by nearly kissing Steve.

Sea spray smacked him in the face again.

"We took two sets of photos despite you saying we were only doing one." Static filled what Steve's voice left behind as the other paused. Tony wondered if he was reliving the event as he had. "I keep the photos on me."

"Why?" he asked, the word no more than a sigh,

His chest ached.

"Because they keep me going, remind me that there's gonna be someone waiting for me when I get home, someone I can lean on when I need help."

Tony gave a sad little chuckle. "Cap, come on. What-"

"Because they remind me that I'm being an idiot," Steve continued, stalling Tony's words. "They remind me that I'm not back in the 40s where this kind of thing wasn't ok, was a threat to living a long, happy, safe life should anyone find out."

He felt the first raindrop smack into the top of his had as he tried to pull apart what Steve was saying, where he was going with this.

"So, Tony?"

"Yeah?" he reflexively responded.

"Don't go dying on me. I want to tell you the last reason why I keep them on me when we're face to face, ok? So hang in there till we get there."

His eyes stung as lightning streaked across the sky. He laughed as the thunder rumbled low in the air around him. "I'll try, Cap." Clouds started obscuring the moon. "But I can't hold out forever."

"I know," Steve breathed, the words choked and Tony felt his chest constrict. "Just a little bit longer, Tony. We're almost there." A pause full of static as his head was forced under by a large wave. He came up hacking and coughing again but it was in time to hear the last of Steve's words.

"I'm almost there. Just hang on."
    Find a tale or three or five to read but be warned. It is never easy to see where the plot may be going As the Story Crumbles