Thread: Three hundred year old skeleton looking for philosophical discussion partner

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    I
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Default Three hundred year old skeleton looking for philosophical discussion partner

Remember that time when I said if everything is possible then it is hencewise possible that everything is impossible?

Even if you don't - doesn't matter.
    Point is while dwelling on that bit of past, present and future (because time is an arbitrary conglomerate of degrees) I cane to an odd notion.

How do you define a rock? All of its qualities, save for the appointed word are present or capable of being present in all things. If one removes the restriction of words, then suddenly things become so loose as if removing gravity in its entirety.
    This has brought forth the idea that it is actually man who is the invention of words and not the opposite. This being oddly backed by creation mythos from all over the globe.

So my question is such: How do you define a word?

"Hoist the old mast down my boys. Hoist the old mast down."

RPA's Resident Zombie
    Six feet under, but coming to a theater near you
    Horror/Apocalyptic
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

A word is a part of speech or writing which is used to form a sentence. It represents an item, action, idea, description, etc...

I
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bluemoon View Post
    A word is a part of speech or writing which is used to form a sentence. It represents an item, action, idea, description, etc...
    A word itself though is the composite of what it represents.

It is in essence ideas that self-represent through meaning.

But both of those are their own functioning phenomena that work without being constituted in to a word.

So a word being a composite, but none of its composite elements, falls in to an odd indecipherable niche.

There is no way, I find, to define a word in words.
    This can, possibly, be partly achieved through the use of meaning - insinuating a feeling/sensation of sorts.

But honestly, there's nothing that could define a word, even as Wittgenstein's concept, that could be communicated.

And yet ironically the only definition we have available on the subject is based on its relationship with commutation; specifically speech, which is possibly the lowest form of communication.

"Hoist the old mast down my boys. Hoist the old mast down."