Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Sword and Sorcery (Interest Check)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Sorry to hear about that.

As for the concept you outlined, I like it!

Red Ninja
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy is my best, but I can do and like just about everything.
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Indeed I say Humans vs Elves and the rest of the usual fantasy races are independent or owe fealty to the Elves or Humans.

Xbox One Gamertag: Free Today56 just say who you are first.
    Breath deep as the snow falls around you. Let it fill your lungs and purify the fires of doubt within you.

Spoiler: The stories I've written x50 

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Not that I would mind a more high fantasy concept, but I do think it would fit more within a pseudo-Hyborian sword and sorcery setting to have it more human-focused. I think a good analogy would be the world of GOT/ASOIAF where you have different fantasy species like Children of the Forest, Giants, Deep Ones (like straight from Shadow over Innsmith), neanderthals, lizard men and other creatures but they're usually relegated to the far reaches of the world and they're treated as exotic.

As for the setting, I would personally lean more towards an antiquity-technological/cultural level for the two civilizations. Advanced in science, mathematics, but not too technologically advanced to the point where they surpass any barbarian or primitive groups by a ridiculous margin.
    Last edited by Atethecat; 06-02-2018 at 05:27 PM.

Red Ninja
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy is my best, but I can do and like just about everything.
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Hmm fair enough.

Xbox One Gamertag: Free Today56 just say who you are first.
    Breath deep as the snow falls around you. Let it fill your lungs and purify the fires of doubt within you.

Spoiler: The stories I've written x50 

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I would like to see at least some fantasy races though. I did have a concept for a region roughly corresponding to Scandinavia inhabited by giants. The concept for one of my characters was a giant enslaved by humans who would eventually become one of the most feared creatures in the far north.

New Forum Person
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hi, I'm fairly new to rp in general but I'd like to join your campaign if it's ok with you and there's still room for more players

Dark Lord of the Gif
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    Not that I would mind a more high fantasy concept, but I do think it would fit more within a pseudo-Hyborian sword and sorcery setting to have it more human-focused. I think a good analogy would be the world of GOT/ASOIAF where you have different fantasy species like Children of the Forest, Giants, Deep Ones (like straight from Shadow over Innsmith), neanderthals, lizard men and other creatures but they're usually relegated to the far reaches of the world and they're treated as exotic.

As for the setting, I would personally lean more towards an antiquity-technological/cultural level for the two civilizations. Advanced in science, mathematics, but not too technologically advanced to the point where they surpass any barbarian or primitive groups by a ridiculous margin.
    So the bolded was bolded because it reminded me of a fantastic Michael Crichton book. Called eaters of the dead. If you don't have the time to read the book you could check out the solid movie.

The premise though was Crichton turned the Epic Poem Beowulf into a historic testimony. And Grendal turned out to be members of a tribe of Neanderthals .
    Spoiler: Cuteness 

Wanna laugh at a drunken fool? Click Here!
    Watch me Stream or catch old streams here

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

That's interesting! I knew a little bit about 13th Warrior from a review on YouTube, but I didn't know it was based off a Michael Crichton book! I'll definitely try and give it a watch!

As for neanderthals in general, in ASOIAF, they're not referenced specifically as neanderthals but they seem to pretty much fit the bill, the Ibbenese:
    The Ibbenese are an ancient and taciturn race of islanders who live on the island nation Ibben, composed of the islands Ib and Far Ib, several smaller islands, and the small foothold on the northern shore of Essos ruled by the colony located at New Ibbish.
    The Ibbenese are heavy, broad-shouldered and broad-chested people. They are short in stature, seldom reaching a height more than five and a half feet. Their arms are long, while their legs are short and thick. They have sloping brows with heavy ridges, small sunken eyes, great square teeth, and massive jaws.

The Ibbenese have the most body hair of all known peoples in the Known World. Beneath their pale skins run dark blue veins, but covering their skin is dark and wiry hair. Ibbenese men have dark, wiry hair covering their arms, legs, chests, and backs, while Ibbenese women commonly have coarse dark hair, even on the upper lip.
    (Source)

Personally, I always compared neanderthals to dwarves. I mean they're both short, stocky hairy peoples with large brow ridges and big noses who utilize a lot of brunt-force weapons!

A lot of extinct human species kind of vaguely fit the bill of some fantasy races, take the hobbits of Indonesia who apparently hunted tiny, dwarf elephants and Komodo dragons before possibly being wiped out by early modern humans.

Dark Lord of the Gif
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)

The ones in the movie/book will fit your ideals well i think.
    Spoiler: Cuteness 

Wanna laugh at a drunken fool? Click Here!
    Watch me Stream or catch old streams here

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I'll do definitely check the movie out, hopefully it's on Netflix or On Demand.

Speaking of dwarves and giants, I actually have wanted to incorporate fantasy races into the greater world of the RP, talking to Lady Celeste, the two major empires in the Known World are a Greco-Roman-Carthaginian-themed empire and an Egyptian-Arab themed empire encompassing most of the Middle East. Beyond the known world or on the fringes of it are the more barbarian cultures based off of Celts, Germanics, Slavs, etc with the Far East being more mythical.

Right now I'm sort of just thinking about how different fantasy races could fit in without taking away from different human races/cultures (since the RP is human-centric afaik). If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast