Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Voyage (M)

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Apocalyptic, Dark, Lovecraftian, Africa, 20th Century History
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default The Voyage (M)

OOC link: https://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=91380

The three ships SS Adventurer, SS Heart of Darkness, and SS Explorer sat in port, the bustling of the city filled the background, and plumes of smoke from factories rising into the sky behind them did as well.

The voyage was ready. The crewman had been found, and the ships were set to sail. Whatever the reasons were for coming, the crew's fates were now all bound together, onto a journey that would take them into the heart of the unknown, searching for something equally mysterious.

As the port disappeared over the horizon, many of the crewman looked back, wondering what awaited them. Erich Schawrzmann was not one of them.

The first mate of the SS Heart of Darkness, the smallest steamer in the voyage, Erich had served alongside Captain Marlow for as long as he had been a sailor. They had sailed into the Eastern unknown section before, several times, running supplies to a mining colony.

They had never touched land outside the colony in his time there, but he had heard the stories of what awaited them. Monsters, magic, and worse. But Erich had been a soldier before he became a sailor, and he did not worry. He would do what had to be done when the time came.

-------------------------------------------------------------

The voyage sailed for three days before their first sign of land came into sight. In the distance, an island with a large, spewing volcano on it came into view. The mountain was large, but the pillar of ash and smoke rising into the sky above it could be seen for kilometers.

Erich was leaning over the side of the ship, looking at it. At first look, Erich was an intimidating man. Standing at 6 foot tall, with a very muscular build, and an often serious look on his face. His ebony colored skin also scared some who were not used to seeing foreigners.

But at the same time his face showed a intellectual look, with a thin nose and inquisitive hazel eyes. His face was smooth and always clean shaven. His thick, black hair was always kept buzzed, and covered by a navy blue ivy cap. He wore a simple gray button shirt, and navy blue trousers. On his feet he had black boots.

Captain Marlow came out of the ship's helm, and leaned on the rail next to Erich. They both looked at the volcano erupting in the distance.

Marlow said, "We need to get a shore party ready. Cunningham says we're landing there."

Erich replied, "Of course we are. I'll lead the party."

Marlow said, "Then i'll get you a team. Oh, and Cunningham is going with you."

Cunningham was the one who organized and paid for the expedition. He kept mostly to himself in his quarters. Erich didn't expect him to go ashore, he seemed one of those fragile city types. Whatever they were looking for must be important.
    There's a black crow sitting across from me
    His wiry legs are crossed
    He's dangling my keys, he even fakes a toss
    Whatever could it be
    That has brought me to this loss?

Fantasy, Slice-of-life, and Parody
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The fates had a funny way of poking their heads into the lives of people when they least expected. One minute, the bluenette had been wandering the market looking for something of substance that could be eaten. Fish. Oysters. Crab. Anything. Although, with no money in weighting down her pockets or her leather bag, it was hard to get anyone to make a deal. That was when the women happened upon the ships getting ready to set sail. Slowly, much like a curious cat stalking prey, the women observed the a recruiter who was standing near the bridge to the boat. He was a larger gentlemen with dark, dirt colored locks and a large grin on his face.

"Young lad," The gentlemen called, gesturing in her direction. Just to make sure the gentlemen was talking to her she pointed a slender finger into her chest. "Yes! You! Come here!" Confused as to why she was being called a "he" the women glanced down at herself. Her clothes, which were worn and somewhat dirty, were loose and covered her more...womanly assets. The wild, unruly locks that normally framed her face were all neatly tucked under a stormy colored cap. The cap was more useful than just keeping the sun at bay; it also cast a shadow over the scar that decorated the right side of her features. People tended to stare and whisper when it was on display. From a distance, and maybe even up close, the women could see why she appeared to be a young lad who was on the shorter and slender side.

Approaching the man, the bluenette listened to the man-now known as Alabaster- sold stories about far away lands and daring adventures. Maybe this is what she was searching for. That feeling of being lost could be replaced with this...adventure.

Without much thought, the bluenette wrote her name down, occupation and accepted the payment.

"Welcome abroad, Lavi." Alabster greeted, ushering her onto the ship.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It had been three days since then. Three long days of trying to hide the scar adoring her features and the fact that she was a women. Fortunately, she got to stay in the medic cabin where it was pretty much just her a majority of the time. Outside the cabin was a different story. People roamed the deck and underbelly, laughing and talking of past times. There were maybe one or two other women on the ship, but they were in the kitchen cooking and cleaning. That was one of the main reasons she remained hidden. Fear. Would she be reduced to work as a cleaner if her identity had been discovered?

Those thoughts got distracted by the excited cry from above about land. Picking up a leather bound journal, courtesy of the being the medic, Lavi rush her way outside. Leaning over the side, holding tightly onto the cap, the women gasped as the land mass became clearer and clearer. A couple feel in-front her, doing the same, was a gentlemen who was tall in stature, shaved and cap wearing talking with the captain. They were going to form a party to explore. As a medic, Lavi felt it was her duty to attend...and that something exciting was bound to happen on the land. Approaching the two, the women was about to talk, but froze. Her voice, velvety and sultry, would give away everything.

Taking a piece of paper, she jotted down quickly, "As the medic, I need to go." Satisfied, Lavi passed the note over to the captain; determination written on her blacken features.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Captain Marlow looked at the piece of paper, and said, "Hopefully we wont need you, but I wont say no to volunteers. You're in. Grab your gear, and head to the rowboats on starboard."

At the rowboats, which were hanging on cranes over the edge of the ship, Erich stood, watching as rifles were passed out to the crewman who were going ashore. Each rifle was bolt action, carrying 10 rounds in the chamber, with another 10 round magazine spare. Twenty bullets wouldn't get them very far if they ran into real trouble, Erich thought.

But then again, from here what worried Erich more was the exploding Volcano. The ash from it was sprinkling down upon the ship, clogging the lungs of everyone outside. The ships were now anchored about half a mile form shore, and the crew started loading into the two rowboats, ten men apiece.

Erich began to check over his Thompson submachine gun when Cunningham walked up nervously, and said in a voice with that upper class way of talking, "Is everyone ready? We need to go."

Cunningham looked the fragile city type. He was short, only 5'6 in height,and his build was small, but not skinny. His skin was pale and smooth. His jet black hair was in the manor of a pompadour lift, and his face clean shaven. He looked to be in his late 30's. His sky blue eyes looked around nervously. He wore a red coat with black trim and buttons, and a white button down shirt under it. He had black trousers and polished black shoes to go with it. He did not appear to be armed, but was carrying some papers in a folder and a small, ancient looking book with a lock on it.

Erich looked at Cunningham, with a look that could have either been disdain or dis-interest. "Ay, that should be everyone," he said, his attention suddenly being caught by a head of blue hair boarding onto a boat. What would someone who looked like that be doing here, Erich thought.

Everyone boarded, and the boats were lowered into the water, the men starting to row to shore. Erich got into the boat with the Bluenette, sitting down next to him, his curiosity peaked. But he also knew he needed to focus on what lay ahead. What did lay ahead was a good question though.

After they rowed for a few minutes, Erich suddenly turned and asked, "So, you're our medic? Where are you from, you look different than the types around the port we left from."
    Whatever could it be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Without think Lavi nimbly dashed across the wooden planks of the deck to the underbelly of the ship. Upon entering the medic chamber the bluenette grabbed a nearby knapsack and begin to place items inside. The journal was the first. After that followed pens, medical supplies and other miscellaneous items. With another quick glance around the room the set of sapphire orbs landed on a gun that hung on the rack next to the single bed. There was an internal debate as to whether or not the gun should be brought. On one hand it could be used in defense, but on the other it could be used to hurt one of the crew if something else got it...letting out an audible sigh the women walked over to the planked wall of the room and grabbed the gun. Placing the knapsack on the sand colored bed covers Levi strapped the gun around her waist.

"Better to be safe rather than sorry," Levi mumbled lowly, grabbing the bag and heading out the door, "or something like that."

Once she arrived back on deck time moved rapidly. Before Lavi could even blink she was sitting in the boat, along with a couple other men, and they were rapid rowing toward shore. Luckily, Levi was not one of the rowers. As one of the men said, "he was too scrawny, migh' fall overboard." The women was happy to let the men row. The water, which was a beautiful light blue on the top and then gradually turned darker, lapped up against the side of the smaller boat. That is not what Lavi was focused on though. It was the active volcano that was spew molten rock and bits of lava everywhere that got most of the attention. Several minutes passed where all one could hear was the sound of rowers hitting the water, but then the man next to her suddenly addressed her.

Te kurel.

For a moment, Levi was not quite sure how to react. Then she decided to keep up the front of not being able to speak. That was the easiest route. Jumbling in the knapsack she pulled out the journal and pen and began to write:

Not really sure where I'm from, but I can tell you I've been a little bit of everywhere. That is how I learned medicine. Names Lavi. Who are you?

Without further adieu she handed the paper over to him and flashed a brief smile.

***Te kurel=Fuck***

Anything and everything
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Davinia spent most of the trip over keeping busy and keeping to herself. Fortunately with what little she was required to speak, her thick scottish accent and deeper voice passed her for male. The true struggle would come on land. Unfortunately people tended to be nosier on land.....and less inclined to heed personal boundaries.

When the man in the crow’s nest, a barrelman she believed the term was, called out the first sighting of land in several days she sighed and set down the barrel she had over her shoulder, a feat that many sailors had somewhat marveled over. Who knew an average sized bloke would be able to lift a full barrel over his shoulder like it was a dame, right? Grabbing a gun being handed out to the landing party, “Red” slung the weapon over her shoulderand shoved the bullets into the pocket of her pants. Running a hand throigh her crewcut hair she quietly boarded one of the long boats and grabbed a set of oars. When a young looking man with blue colored hair boarded his longboat Red regarded him with a silent, standoffish expression. He wasn’t going to initiate conversation if he could avoid it.

When he heard the man she had learned to be called Erich speak she flinched slightly. His deep voice clearly exuded a sense of command and cunning, a dangerous combination to someone who had a secret. Fortunately he wasn’t speaking to her. Listening to the conversation she picked up that the blue haired boy was the medic on their voyage, and apparently also a mute if the sounds of scribbling were anything to go by. Good to know.

———————————————————————————————————————————

Alexander crowded excitedly to the edge of the ship as soon as the barrelman called out to the ship. He could finally see the land they would soon be discovering for the first time in recorded history. Practically tripping over himself with the large satchels of materials he carried upon his back he clambered upon one of the longboats. Having spent the entire trip below decks pouring over what was left of his studies from home, he was itching to be outside on land finding new things.

“This is so exciting,” he finally burst out as they were rowed across to the nearby beach, “I can’t believe we’ve gotten this opportunity to explore the unexplored! We are going to be the first to find out what’s here! What things could grow here? What kind of people could live here? What is their culture like? What kind of technology do they have? What new thinks could we possibly find?!”
    Last edited by AliceMalice15; 07-06-2018 at 03:10 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Erich smiled when he read the note, at first not saying anything back. "I suppose the same goes for me. I left my small village a long time ago and never looked back. My name's Erich. Lot of the crew call me "the Moor". I don't care what you call me, you do your job and we'll get along," he said, extending his hand.

Something about this blue haired wanderer still made Erich feel like something was off, but he had other worries right now. And part of him liked the bluenette, a nomad, like him, and from the looks of the journal, a writer as well. Still a mute medic was strange.

------------------

As the boats arrived at the rocky shore, and the sailors started to dismount into the shallow water, an overeager scientist type started talking about new discoveries and adventure. One of the sailors looked at him, and, pointing at the Volcano, said, obviously not as enthused as he, "If there's anyone living here, I don't think they will be for long."

Indeed, from what they saw of the island where they had landed, it didn't appear anyone would be living here. The landscape was rocky, mostly barren of life. A few shrubs and small trees grew out of some of the cracks in the rocks, but all other life was smothered out by the layer of ash and hard surface. If any birds roosted here, they had evacuated.

The sailors had to be careful not to slip on the wet rock as they waded ashore. Most everyone looked up at the spewing Volcano above. Ash rained down on the crew like snow.

----------------------------------------------

Erich dismounted, and turned around, starting to give orders. One of the boats had been dragging a spool of wire behind it, and Erich grabbed the spool from the sailor who had been carrying it as he was getting out of the boat. "You!" Erich said, pointing at one of the sailors, "Set up the telephone and tell them we're going to keep the line at the boats."

He then turned to the rest of the dismounting sailors. "Two men will stay here, the rest, on me. Time's a burning. I don't know about everyone else, but I'd rather not be here when that Volcano blows."

Erich then turned to Cunningham, who was brushing the ash off of his expensive clothing. "Alright Cunningham, where are we headed?"

Cunningham replied, "Well, you're going to love this just as much as I do, I'm sure. But there's supposed to be some sort of chamber at the base of the mountain there."

Erich said, rather sardonically, "The mountain there, as in the one spewing fire?"

"That would appear to be the one old sport," Cunningham said, "Shall we go?"

Erich grunted, waved his hand as a symbol to move out, and then he began traversing the rocky surface towards the Volcano.
    Whatever could it be

Anything and everything
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

“Oh pshaw,” Alexander said rolling his eyes at the sailor, “human beings especially are a hardy species and though the surface may be baren and hot there is always below ground, and if we are headed in to a cave system in the base of this lovely active volcano then there is very likely a fairly extensive cave system which theoretically may be able to sustain even avian and mamalian life.”

Satisfied with his analysis Alexander gave a self assured nod....and promptly face planted as he disembarked the long boat and slipped on the rocks. It was a wonder any of his papers even got to the board, as clumsy as he was there were many occasions his papers got torn, stepped on, or even fallen in to mud puddles in his mad dash between buildings. Fortunately here, although he’d still be somewhat ridiculed he was sure, no one would tease him about his clumsiness and make it out to be a discredit to his intelligence. Even so it was still embarrassing and Alexander’s face turned a bright crimson as he cleared his throat and straightened his coat.

—————————————————————————————-

Red slung his gun over his shoulder as they disembarked the longboats and nonchalantly followed after his fellow expeditioners. Jamming his free hand in to a pocket he strolled near Erich and the blunette medic and gave a low whistle.

“Ye don’ think that thing’ll blow while were here will it,” he mused aloud, “Looks like ot might make a whole new island if it did. May be best to not leave the longboats here....”

Red rubbed the back of his head and sighed. Of course they had to go toward an active volcano, and the one oddball scientist seemed way too excited. Practically spelled out disaster. Even if he wasn’t an intelligent woman he could see that.
    Last edited by AliceMalice15; 07-12-2018 at 12:13 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

After briefly shaking Erich's hand, the young bluenette drew a focused stare back on the island ahead of them. Who knew what they would find. More than likely nothing with the way lava was spewing from the volcano, but then again, life always finds a way. Lurching forward slightly when the boat came to land, Lavi quickly grasped the hat to make sure it stayed in place. Now was not the time for the big secret to come out. Nimbly, yet carefully, she stepped out of the boat, danced across the rocks and landed on the sand. Curious orbs began to wander around the shore. Lots of trees and shrubs, but no animals.

Cunningham, a strange and obviously wealth fellow, suddenly informed Erich that they would be heading toward the base of the mountain. Supposedly there was a cave of some sorts. "The Moor" was already giving directions in a tone that offered no argument. Two men would be staying back, and it was not going to be her. Leather booted feet digging into the sand the bluenette began followed Erich.

Suddenly, a mumbling voice from behind caught her attention.

Turning, the women found a young man with messy sand colored hair and round glasses staring up in awe at the volcano. At least she was not the only one. About to turn around once more Lavi stopped when she witness the man fall flat on his face. Sapphire orbs danced with laughter, but not sound came out of the full set of lips. Another man walked past her then. Overshadowing her by several inches. They walked up next to the dark skinned man and stated that they maybe should not leave the boats here...

Let them decide that. I'm more interested in the plants anyway.

Wandering ahead of both of them the women made her way to the edge of the clearing and began to dust of some of the underbrush to see if there would be anything medically useful; all the while she kept a side eye on the group so that she could leave when they did.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Erich heard some comments about the Volcano, and another about moving the boats. Erich certainly would have liked to move the boats, but he didn't know a place that would be closer. Where they were now would be their fastest exit if things did go bad, so that would be where they stayed.

Erich silently led the party onward despite the protests of a few sailors. If Cunningham was sure enough to go forwards to the Volcano, Erich certainly wasn't going to turn tail.

After a few minutes of traveling over the rock face, they came upon a flow of lava that made it's way like a river through an indentation in the surface. Most eyes were turned towards the lava river, even Erich's for it was certainly a strange and new sight.

Cunningham caught up with Erich, and after brushing his clothes off again, said, "We should be getting close. The entrance to this chamber in the mountain is on the South side, which is fortunate for us. This is quite an adventure isn't it my boy?"

Erich was about to reply, when something caught his eye in the lava river. It was as if something moved about. Erich watched for a moment, before turning back to Cunningham.

"Sorry, what were you saying?" he asked. Cunningham said, "You alright there chap? I was saying that..."

A scream suddenly was let out from the ranks. Erich turned his head and looked back, to find one of the sailors with a long, black spear in his stomach. At the other end of the spear was a creature that was coloured the same as lava, Erich being unable tot ell what it was at first. Everyone stood watching, not sure of what they were seeing.

Erich then let go a burst from his Thompson into the orange mass, which promptly fell backwards. At that moment, scores more of the orange masses started to flood towards the column of sailors from the bank of the lava river where they had been hiding.

Their figures were clear now. They appeared to be some sort of giant, bipedal Newts, with lava coloured skin, and obsidian weapons and armor. They stood at around 4 feet tall, but shared the body and shape of Newts, standing on their bottom feet. Some wore small pieces of obsidian armor, which was not crafted for beauty, as there seemed to be no clear design to it. Their weapons mostly consisted of obsidian spears and swords.

But Erich did not have long to observe them as they ascended from the river towards the column of sailors. "OPEN FIRE!" Erich yelled, letting loose his Thompson. They had gotten the jump on him, and were far too close for him to organize any better tactical formation. For now he would just have to hope the sailors could shoot strait and stay cool.
    Whatever could it be

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

After picking some of the of the wildlife from the island and stuffing them in her burlap sack, Lavi then silently followed after the group as they ventured into the wooded area of the island. If one cared to look up they would see trees that appeared to travel for miles. It was like they never ended. Hopping over exposed roots and dodging under branches the bluenette traveled swiftly past most of the group until she made her way near the front. Not really sure what to expect they made their way to the volcano in the middle of the island. Despite the danger of the entire situation, Lavi couldn't help but feel a bit of excitement.

Coming upon the river of lava made everyone freeze. The dark, searing ruby liquid slowly made it way across the land; designing a path of destruction in it's wake. It was truly a terrifying, but mesmerizing sight. So much so that it captured everyone's attention, even that of the sapphire eyed women. If one watched closely enough, they would notice the occasional ripple of lava that was out of place. Lavi just happened to catch one right as Erich shot the first fire. Suddenly, more lava Newt type monsters were rising out of the lava.

"OPEN FIRE," rang across the empty space. Without hesitation Lavi whipped out the gun and began to fire rounds. It appeared to be working, but there was no way it would last. Their crew was on the edge of panic, but for now were maintaining. It was a matter of time.

What now? We need to do something.

Not having a voice in this moment was frustrating. The man next to her must have been feeling the same frustration because he suddenly called out, "What do we do?!" At this point it would be better to retreat, or distract them. Something. A moment of distraction was all it took. One of the spears was heading straight for her, with quick maneuvering Lavi was able to dodge a fatal attack, but it happened to catch her side as she moved.

Bengalia! Focus.

When the man beside her covered, the bluenette quickly reached into her bag and grabbed the medical equipment. Now was not the time to fix the wound, but she needed to dress it. Wrapping some cloth around she tied and off before starting to shoot again.

Bengalia=Idiot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast