Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Across Antiquity

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

I'll join! Will get my character sheet typed up shortly. This seems pretty interesting. Could I play a character who is in command of the Prince's personal bodyguards? I mean, with him and his fiancée getting kidnapped and all, I think seeking to correct their failure would be motivation enough for trying to rescue the pair.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

That's a pretty reasonable (and interesting) role, I say go for it!

The Art Vandal

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Decent grammar. Limited cringe. That’s all.
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Haaaah. Hi Pad. The character I was thinking of for this was a maidservant of the princess. :o I have started writing out the character. Buuuut perhaps we could assume that yours would know mine? Maybe? Even if just in passing? Since they both have connections to the kidnaped, etc.

Will post my sheet for review once I talk a few things through with Cat.
    Last edited by Leanna; 06-30-2018 at 02:20 PM.

art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable

- banksy

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yeah, it'd be a cool and interesting way to build up relations between our characters. They definitely would at least recognise each other's faces when we actually start this thing.

WIP...

Spoiler: Quintus Linus Venturius 

Atethecat, roughly how old is the Crown Prince? I'm thinking of my character being roughly the same age, so it'd be handy to know. Also, did you have in mind how the kidnapping transpired? I'm kinda thinking of ending my character's backstory with him and his troops being drugged into a heavy sleep and then waking up to find that the Prince is missing.
    Last edited by Pad; 06-30-2018 at 10:28 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I would say very early twenties, although I may have to confirm that with Lady Celeste as she's my co-host.
    Last edited by Atethecat; 06-30-2018 at 05:31 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Okay cool, that's kinda what I was expecting. I added more backstory to my bio, if you don't mind going over it and suggesting any changes if needed. It's not finished yet, but I'll be needing some more info about the Prince to fully flesh it out.

The Art Vandal

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Default To be reviewed

Name and Title:
    Bec Al-Yazid.
    Sex/Gender:
    Female.
    Species:
    Human. Assumed Kemite(?)
    Birthplace:
    Iphis. The Kingdom of Kem.
    Homeland:
    Kem(?)

Personality:

I. Be humble.

Humility has always been the defining trait for those fortunate enough to serve under the monarchs of Iphis; because who amongst undeserving mortals were as blessed as they, the individuals who held the pleasure of offering their life in service to a god in human form? In all the world, who could feast their eyes on such magnificence, with such closeness?

II. Be grateful.

Having been groomed from a very young age to conduct herself with such manners, Bec has mastered what the priests of Kem call the Tenets of Virtue—the three unwritten yet non-negotiable laws that governed all who serve in the royal halls of Iphis. Guard, servant, slave. They all must follow the Tenets, or pay the consequences. (And Bec has witnessed the tragic consequences rendered upon those foolish enough to break the Tenets, particularly the third.)

III. Never question.

But who is Bec... truly? Throughout the palace of Kem, peers know her as a warm and hard-working individual, one who is considered suitably attentive by her betters, the divine monarchs. (She is in particular good standing with the princess, who holds the maiden in high regard due to her many years of faithful service.)

So Bec tends to get along well with most, irregardless of status. This is due to the nature of her upbringing, which taught her to go out of her way to comfort and cater to others. And it was quite advantageous in winning over the approval of others, acting in this way that had been drilled into her since she was a child. It also was her purpose, she was told, even if she didn’t think that it was—a purpose to bring pleasure, and always please. It had been the underlying idea and seemingly unstoppable force that had driven Bec’s life thus far.

As a result, hers has been something of a stifled existence, with her circumstances offering her little opportunity or freedom to ever explore who she truly is.

When Bec was brought to the palace as an infant, midwives deduced that she was possibly around the same age as the little princess, due to the two appearing similar in size. However, as the two girls began to grow, Bec began to consistently develop earlier than the daughter of god-king Imun. Whether this development manifested in speech, in cognition, or in good old-fashioned physical maturation, Bec always seemed to experience everything earlier. This caused her (otherwise unknown) age to be inwardly questioned by those same midwives—who often compared and contrasted the rates of maturity of the children they helped bring into the world.

Weapon(s):
    Royal handmaidens are not usually afforded weapons of their own, nor do they particularly need them, due to the seemingly omnipresent array of guards that constantly orbit the royal family. Therefore, as Bec herself was commonly near the daughter of the god-king, she too was almost always under protection by association.

(However, the princess had a habit of ordering her bodyguards to lend them their weapons; with which the two girls would put on a playful show of (rather messy) sparring. These antics were always a source of great amusement to the watchful men who, commonly, offered short lectures from the sidelines. So in the very least, Bec has held and utilised different sorts of weaponry; albeit for fun, and at the behest of the princess.)

Motivation for Joining the Quest:
    She has no choice. Having been present with the princess at the time of the kidnapping, Bec has been commanded to go by King Imun, himself. She must be a guiding companion to those sent to rescue the prince and princess, as counselled by his viziers on the matter.

First, it was assumed that the handmaiden must carry some knowledge of the assailants (over which she is currently being questioned rigorously, due to a brief run in with them that she somehow survived). Second, few knew the habits of King Imun’s daughter as intimately as Bec, so it was doubly assumed that this knowledge could be of use, as predicting how the princess would respond while in her precarious situation could benefit those dispatched. Not to mention, the viziers reasoned, the familiar presence of Bec could bring comfort to the likely-shook princess.

And to further the notion of the young woman’s use on such an important journey, it was highlighted that she too was a chambermaid, was she not? Surely she could be convenient in other ways throughout the travel, and—if worse came to worse—could work as some sort of bargaining chip? For the sake of his own daughter, the poor princess? Because who dared put a hand on the kin of the god-king? (Though that last notion was unlikely to ever come to fruition, they added, because in their great wisdom, they had chosen only the most capable of men.)

Thus Bec must go, counseled the viziers.

However, even if she had been given the option of not taking on the task, she herself knew she was not like to turn it down. Not with how kind the princess had always been to her. The princess not only taught Bec how to read, but had also protected her from the more scrupulous types of positions that servant girls often found themselves in. The princess could (and had) used her power and influence to keep Bec far away from any environment that too often left other handmaidens vulnerable to the types of cruelties that befell the physically weaker sex.

Appearance:

Spoiler: Bec 

Despite the typically low status of handmaidens, Bec’s association with the royal family has left her in a better sort of standing than other females in such roles. For instance, Bec has always had the luxury of being well dressed and well groomed, which was considered a necessity for any and all who closely engaged with the royal family.

(Sometimes the princess would even insist that Bec enjoy the very same types of primming and preening that she herself received, a perk that her handmaiden appreciated ... but also worried about. The ruling family did not approve of royals inviting plebeians into their lifestyle, so the princess had always taken great care to tether Bec around in secret.)

And while the gowns that Bec wore were still technically in the distinct style that identified her as a servant, the quality of the garb was just as recognisable—from the beading on her collar to the stitching on the leather sandals that adorned her feet. All of it stood out as something that held a degree of intricate value.

Language(s):
    Kemitic. Fluent.
    Ruiliran. Elementary.

(The princess had instructed Bec to begin learning Ruiliran, as her husband-to-be was from the neighbouring kingdom. This was to ensure that her handmaid would be able to communicate with the Ruiliran prince in his native tongue.)

Backstory:
    WIP.

Additional Info:
    WIP.
    Last edited by Leanna; 07-01-2018 at 10:15 PM.

- banksy

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I like it so far, with your ethnicity (just based off appearance alone) your character would probably be a Lower Kemite (from the northernmost part of Kem). You could possibly be of mixed ancestry, judging by your character's surname (as Shemites have the more 'Arabic-ish' names).

All in all, great progress!
    Last edited by Atethecat; 07-01-2018 at 05:48 PM.

The Art Vandal

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Cool. All noted.

I guess I’ll continue on then. I didn’t see the point of fully writing a backstory (though I have one in outline) for her if she didn’t suit. I’ll work on that later tonight, or tomorrow (as I may be going out for dinner now, by the sound of it).

*has the hungar*

- banksy

Red Ninja
    Fantasy is my best, but I can do and like just about everything.
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Time to merc this the f up. *cracks knuckles*

Xbox One Gamertag: Free Today56 just say who you are first.
    Breath deep as the snow falls around you. Let it fill your lungs and purify the fires of doubt within you.

Spoiler: The stories I've written x50 

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast