Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [M/IC] A Lost Heart (J'Von and Naming)

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

The two arrived at the armoury rather quickly following their exodus from the princess' rooms, and Amelia was content to wait patiently for Veikto to retrieve her equipment using the sealed letter she had just written. Even standing there, amongst the racks of weapon and armour, the princess maintained a positively royal air. She carried herself with dignity, not allowing herself to sit or slouch for so much as a moment. There was little resemblance to the more friendly, open girl that she had been in her room a few moments earlier. This was the face that she showed to the world when not hidden behind closed doors. The face that her father was proud to see - one that bespoke the ruler she would one day become, given the chance.

When the two of them finally arrived at the tournament grounds, Amelia was quick to approach her father. As expected, the king was waiting for them, dressed in a manner that was fitting for one of his rank, and already astride a horse. Clearly, the man wasn't planning on wasting any time today. When the two of them approached, even the princess would curtsey briefly in a sign of respect, before straightening up as the man spoke.

"I do hope that we didn't keep you waiting too long, father" Amelia answered simply, before raising an eyebrow as he sent one of the nearby servants for some extra horses. The princess watched them go idly for a moment, before speaking up once again. "If I had expected us to go for a ride, then I wouldn't have picked a dress today" she remarked dryly. Of course, that wasn't going to stop her.

When the servant did arrive, Amelia took the reigns of her horse immediately. Like most nobles, Amelia had been trained to ride at a young age, and thus had plenty of experience. She mounted up quickly and effectively, though she didn't bother trying to settle into the saddle properly. She stayed with both of her legs facing to one side, on account of her clothing. Riding side-saddle was hardly ideal, and she didn't have anywhere near as much practice with it as she did with traditional riding. So long as they kept a relatively relaxed pace, though, she would manage just fine. Once they had kicked things into motion and begun to move Amelia quickly manoeuvred her horse to pull in alongside her father, matching his speed so that the two of them might converse.

"So, do we have any real idea what we'll be facing out there? Veikto gave me a rough idea as to what was going on, but nobody seems to know any specifics. Just rumours and guesses" she queried. Whilst her father had done his best to prepare her for situations like this, the princess was no fighter, and thus wanted the chance to prepare herself mentally for what they might find out there, if at all possible.

Hell Knight of RPA
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Veikto took the reins of a Chestnut Bay from the servant. Mounting on the horse as it neighs. She made sure she was sitting comfortably and waited to follow the young lady and her father. Though most of her attention was on the servant who brought them the horses. She recognized the emblem on her shoulder. It was a royal seal that stated she was an elite warrior one who is supposed to be better than Veikto herself.

"I sent out a patrol yesterday to track the beast that lurks around." He said as he kept his face straight. "They returned and reported multiple livestock was found in the forest near the border of the Elven lands. Ambassador Anhaern Naeralei will also be joining with the Emperor at the tourney grounds. Despite the situation is going on they both insist to come and speculate the warriors. The livestock that was found was nothing but rotten meat and bones...but that is not all they found. Some human remains were also found meaning the beast has killed. There were also notice's in other villages to find missing farmers." His head slightly turned. "And now we found them." Then his eyes diverted back to the road. "The Emperor and the Ambassador will be arriving through this road. Of course with a large contingent force of warriors and mages. Still we must take precaution that the Del Valina Carravagio are not to be messed with." He chuckled softly. "And also the Emperor is a old friend of mine. Despite I am King."

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Amelia didn't look at her father while he spoke, instead keeping her vision focused on the road ahead as she balanced atop her mount. Her precarious position was somewhat difficult to maintain, and required more attention than riding in a more traditional style. Of course, that wasn't to say that she was ignoring the king completely. Indeed, her brow furrowed and the corners of her mouth turned down as she listened to his explanation. The first question that sprung to mind was whether the unknown beast had killed any humans during its rampage, and if there was any news of missing people in the area. Of course, the king had been quite thorough, and quickly established such facts before she needed to ask.

"So we're to play the welcoming party, then" she offered idly, speaking to herself as much as her father. The princess knew what she had to do; this was hardly the first time that she had played this role, and was confident that she could do it rather well. Further words felt meaningless as the two of them continued the ride down the road, until the ambassador's procession eventually came into sight.

The sight of them was an impressive one; a single gilded carriage, presumably containing their honoured guests. They were surrounded by an impressive number of soldiers and mages, all marching about their charge in formation, and looking resplendent in their polished and clean armour. It made for an impressive sight, even for a princess, who was well accustomed to soldiers that seemed to stand up straighter when she was nearby.

Unfortunately, the first move was not to be hers. Despite her lofty title, her father was the one in control this day. Amelia would need to hang back and wait, let him make the first move, and follow whatever precedent he set.

Hell Knight of RPA
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

When the marching came to a complete halt. The King gives a gentle kick and moved forward to see the delegate inside the carriage. He kept his face straight while his eyes looked inside. "Ambassador Anhaern Naeralei." He said gently. "It is good to see you again." Then his eyes moved slowly to the other sitting next to the Ambassador. "And it is good to see you as well...old friend." Then smiled.

The Emperor leans forward in his seat and looked at the King and smiled. "Thought your eye sight would be gone by now." He said. "It appeared I thought wrong." Then chuckled.

"If my eyes were gone I would have someone leading my horse for me." His smile was bigger, "Or I would have grown a stupid conscious and rode blindly." Than the two laughed together. The Ambassador remained quiet with his hands cuffed together.

"And I am going to guess this is your daughter riding side saddle?" The Emperor asked looking further out of the carriage. "By the Gods she has grown bigger since the last time I saw her." He laughed and leans back in his seat. "And the last time I seen you was when you were running around naked as a baby and throwing mud at my robe." He continued laughing.

Veikto remained behind the young lady and remained quiet as well. Still her eyes kept to the forest on full alert for the beast.

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Amelia urged her horse forward a few steps when her father drew alongside the carriage; staying well and truly behind him, but moving close enough to be within earshot when the king and his guests began to speak. The casual manner adopted by the emperor was somewhat surprising, but the princess suppressed her surprise at the easy familiarity that the two of them seemed to share, despite how long it had been since their last meeting.

The mention of her father as a child was enough to break her considerable composure, however, and Amelia felt an amused smile begin to turn up the corners of her mouth. She didn't bother to hide it, now that the man had spoken to her directly. Truth be told, she had expected the emperor somewhat differently. In her mind she had always pictured him as a formal man, if not outright strict. The emperor presented before her now today was surprisingly jovial, and undoubtedly pleasant.

"Its a pleasure to finally see you again, your excellency. I shall do my best to actually remember your visit this time" she offered, still smiling to herself. A hint of playfulness had crept into her tone, much the same as when she had been speaking to Veikto in private that morning. The emperor's easy nature had her wanting to get in on the fun, even if only a little.

Despite the cheery mood, however, the warnings from earlier that day lingered in the back of her mind. Talk of butchered animals, and human remains in a state no better. A quick glance at Veikto revealed that her servant was watching the trees, expression as stoic as ever. Mere habit, or had she actually picked up on something? Regardless, Amelia turned her attention back to the conversation at hand.

"Perhaps we should push onwards. This is hardly the place for a proper reunion, and we wouldn't want to miss the beginning of the tournament"

She presented her thoughts diplomatically, trying to make it sound like more of a suggestion, and less that she were trying to rush emperor or king. Still, hopefully they would decide to push things into motion again. They should have been perfectly safe, surrounded by so many soldiers and mages.

Why, then, did Amelia still feel so uneasy?

Hell Knight of RPA
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

The moment she said it there was silence in the air. Birds stopped chirping like early in the morning. The sounds of bugs in the distance ceased and the wind no longer breezed. Veikto looked around slowly while her hand slowly reached for her sword. Only noises she could hear was the horses breathing which stopped moving as they looked in a certain direction with ears perked. "I must agree with the young lady your highness." She said softly over her shoulder.

The King's servant looked over her shoulder. "I concur as well. We need to leave now your highness."

Suddenly a deep howl echoed in the forest which startled the horses. Everyone's attention looked to where the howl had stirred. The Emperor's expression was stern as he watched carefully. With one hand moving slowly in a certain motion a large number of guards carrying shields and spears surrounded the carriage. "As much as I like to see what is roaming about but even I have to agree with your servants."

The horses jumped scared when a body suddenly fell on the ground from above. Veitko leans forward to stay on the horse as it pranced around in a circle. She examined the body that appeared out of nowhere and realized it was chewed carcass of a human being. "We need to leave!!!" She shouted.

The Emperor waved his hand forward and everybody started moving with haste. Veikto turned to the young lady and with cold steel gaze. "Move!" She said "I'll be right behind you!"

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Amelia hesitated briefly as the forest around them suddenly fell silent, turning her gaze outwards in nervous ancitipation. The ear-splitting howl that followed was a rude shock, and to more than just the princess herself. Her mount immediately shied, quickly trying to throw off its rider and flee. Within seconds Amelia was struggling to control the skittish horse, and it took her several seconds to bring the beast back under her control.

“What was that?” Amelia muttered softly, speaking more to herself than anyone else around. She could feel panic starting to build in her chest now, but tempered it with the logic of the carragie’s guard. Surely they would be safe, with so many soldiers and mages there, ready to defend the king. Surely no animal would dare to threaten-

That thought, and any preconceived notion of safety, were quickly cut short when a mutilated corpse was dropped from above. Amelia caught no more than a glimpse of it, but the sight was enough to make her breath catch in her throat. Rather predictably, her already unnerved horse tried to bolt again, and as soon as Veikto yelled out, the princess happily obliged it.

Kicking the beast into motion, horse and rider both shot away from the rest of the group. Amelia did her best to steer the animal back towards the castle grounds, but that proved to be about the limit of her capabilities. She quickly felt herself beginning to slip from the horse’s back, riding side-saddle as she was, and gave up the reigns in favour of clinging to the horse’s neck.

After several moments spent desperately clinging to her mount, Amelia took the risk of glancing back behind her, seeking out anyone familiar. Had anyone else bolted as she had? Was her father okay? Where had Veikto ended up?

The decision turned out to be a mistake. An unexpected jolt from the horse sent her tumbling out of the saddle, and Amelia landed hard. It happened so fast that she didn’t even realise until after the fact; one moment she was riding on, and the next she had been reduced to a messy tangle of limbs and fabric. Dazed and winded, her next thoughts came slowly, as if she had to genuinely work to force them through her mind. It took her much too long to recognise the sight of her horse disappearing into the forest without her, quickly disappearing from sight.

Hell Knight of RPA
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

The caravan moved quickly to get both the ambassador and the emperor out of harms reach. The sounds of marching in unison. The King was not far behind as they moved quick on their horses but once the young lady had fallen from her horse a large beast bigger than the wagon had rushed out of the woods and snatched the young ladies' horse and dragged into the other side of the woods. The horse whined one second before the neck was snapped as it was dragged away.

Veikto was not far behind and seen what happened. She pulled her reins for her horse to stop to dismount and move quickly to Amelia. Kneeling next to her and helping her stand on her feet. "Come we must move quickly." She said as she guided her back to the horse. The horse started moving nervously suddenly when something came out of the woods again and pranced on it, killing the horse in seconds. Veikto stopped while holding onto the lady for support and stared at the beast that was in front of them.

The monster was big. Horns long as her body, arms bigger than the horse. The beast chewed it's neck ripping it's flesh. It's mouth was covered in blood and skin.

Veikto slowly moved Amelia to some bushes nearby and reached for her sword. She held onto the grip with both hands and ready herself for the next move. The monster sniffed in the air a couple times to turn and see Veikto. It roared fiercely and charged at her with quick speed. Veikto kneels and leans back while striking the beast from below. The monster cried in pain as it slid to the the ground. Veikto looked to the young lady with a stern look. "Run!" She yelled.

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Dazed and groggy as she was, it took the fallen princess much too long to recognise just what she had seen happen to her horse as it fled, and the significant danger the beast's proximity posed. Her thoughts were still slow in coming, and it was several moments before the cold reality of her situation finally began to sink in. She was stranded a good distance from the castle grounds, without a horse, whilst being pursued by a beast that she had just watched kill a fully grown horse with impunity.

The princess didn't even recognise Veikto's presence right up until the moment her servant dismounted alongside her. Amelia simply knew that one moment she was alone, and that Veikto was suddenly there the next. She clung desperately to Veikto as the woman helped her stand, and leaned on her heavily for support when the two of them began to walk. When the servant deposited her in some bushes nearby, the princess proved very reluctant to let go.

"Surely you don't intend to fi-" she started, only to be silenced by Veikto's yell. Even still, the princess hesitated for a moment, glancing back and forth between her friend and the terrible beast that stood before them. She dry-swallowed once, before speaking again.

"I...just make sure you come back to me, Veikto. I still need you"

Her voice was soft compared to the monster's roaring, and the cacophony of sounds that accompanied it. Truth be told, the princess had no idea if her friend had even heard her or not. Regardless, she would finally do as Veikto had bid at that point, turning away and fleeing into the depths of the forest on foot. She didn't bother sticking to the path this time, instead rushing into the undergrowth good and proper.

Being forced to push her way through the bushes, weave around trees, and climb over roots slowed Amelia's progress some. Had she been possessed of a level head, the princess might have argued that the beast would certainly do a better job of navigating the bush than she, and might even have a way to track her, if it truly desired to hunt her down. Frankly, she was simply praying that Veikto and the other knights and mages would deal with the beast outright, or that it would at least avoid coming after her, for any reason.

Regardless, Amelia simply continued to move until the adrenaline fuelled by her fear began to fade, and fatigue started to wash over her. Only then would she begin to slow, and start to wonder just how she would find her way back, or anyone else would find her.

Hell Knight of RPA
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

She was kicked by the beast's leg. Her body flying in the air for several seconds before hitting the ground hard. She groaned in pain and stood back on her feet to see the beast readying itself for another charge. She held onto her sword with one hand while balancing herself with her other hand. The monster attacked once more and the young servant prepared for the final strike. She pushed forward and raised her sword upwards into the belly of the beast and pierced through it's flesh. Blood poured out and covered the woman as she continued pushing forward. In the last moment she was hit by the hind leg. Pushing her once more before the beast fell on the ground and whimpered like a defenseless animal. Veikto slowly stood up and walked to the beast where she watched the animal die from blood loss. Breathing heavy with sweat dripping with the blood on her skin.

"Young lady!" She muttered and finally chased after the one she sworn to protect. It took a while to find her foot prints in the dirt and continued to track her down until she was found. "My Lady!" She hollered as she continued moving forward. "My Lady!!!" She hollered once more.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast