Thread: Established Characters vs. Character Creation

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy, sci-fi (don't expect me to know what I am talking about), super hero, mature
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default Established Characters vs. Character Creation

Hey Kids,

So, I have not had the opportunity to participate in many RPs, I am actively trying to get plugged in somewhere.

I have seen new role plays created in a lot of different ways. If you have a story in mind, how do you decide between allowing players to create their own characters, versus creating characters with defined backstories to be played?

Do you have a preference? Do you enjoy playing a set character? I assume that in most if not all stories there is room for said character to grow and develop. Have you become better as a writer because of the experience, or did it serve as kind of a creative "break"?

2Spooky4U
    Mostly Fantasy and Parody, and some Sci Fi
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)

It depends.

I love creating characters- sometimes an RP with a plot Im not a fan of Ill end up enjoying because I like the character I made.

But sometimes if its an RP in an established setting, its fun to step into the shoes of a character I already love and play out their reactions to an unfamiliar situation.

and dreadfully distinct/against the dark a tall white fountain played

Art Thread
    |Ask me stuff|My Characters

Spoiler: Quotes, sets, gamertags, things to click on 

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Generally speaking, I prefer to create my own characters for an RP, though I'm not entirely averse to playing an already-established character either so long as I feel like I'm on the same page as the person who initially made the character. When I used to GM a lot a long time ago, it used to frustrate me when other people would do a bad job of writing certain important NPC's and keeping them in character, so as a rule of thumb, I've always been like "Okay, you just do you and as long as it works within the setting, you're good."

An RPer usually works best when they're comfortable with a character, so I tend to play to that.

historical, fantasy, dystopian, superpowers/gifted
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Character creation. In fact, I won't even participate in RP's where people have to play the already established characters of others. They're not my characters, thus I don't feel comfortable writing them, plain and simple.
    Spoiler: Scattered Pearls of Wisdom