Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: {M} People Like Us {Numbers & Natora}

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy and medieval (but still like a modern fantasy from time to time.)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

An interesting proposition. Find a man who didn't care about her success. Who's to say if that wouldn't work. Of course, if the man didn't care about her success, would he care about his own success? She couldn't stand men who weren't equally driven at the very least. Regardless, she let him enter the meeting room to end their conversation and walked past to where the food had been. There was still the great matter of dessert.

A few moments after Etmere returned, she entered the room with a try of a dozen cookies and placed them in the center of the table. "This is my personal favourite snack," she shared with them. There were many different varieties though at least doubles of everything. She chose one for herself that had a strawberry center and was drizzled lightly with icing. "From Cafe du Paris," she said happily before eating the cookie. Now for the duration of the paperwork information I will leave you in the most capable hands of Monica Durrand," she said as another woman looking like all professional business women looked, "while I go down to the labs and finish a few things that I need to do. After she's done you will each be working with someone in your department to show you more specific information to your tasks. Welcome to Hamstein."

With a smile and a nod, she turned and left them in Monica's capable hands. Monica led them through the drudgery that was paperwork when you began a new job. For the trainees the two hours would drag on for what would feel like an eternity. As promised, she went over the basic company rules and expectations. Uniforms would be discussed when they went to their individual departments and compensation also depended on the department you worked in though the amount you were going to make was highlighted on the papers. Once the drudgery was over, Monica took them all to the elevators and down to their own floors where an individual was waiting for each of them to introduce them to their own rules.

Etmere was the last one on floor B4. "Enjoy the rest of your day," Monica repeated in parting to him as the doors opened. Waiting for him on the floor was...not Kelly. There was a young man standing there looking more like a recent bachelor's graduate than the advanced biologist that Kelly was. When Etmere came out, he extended his hand with a smile. "Hey man. I'm Edward. Gonna show you our lab and the tests we run there," he said with an accent that almost sounded Spanish.
    Love, Peace, and Happiness!!!

Leader of the Kitsune
    Fantasy, Romance, Science Fiction
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Etmere looked at the man before shaking his hand. "Great. Important work to do and I get someone who certainly doesn't look the work. Let's get this over with shall we. After the incredibly lengthy process to make sure I understand everything, I would very much like to get to the actual job at hand. Will I be working with Kelly or is she temporarily above my pay grade." The way he talked, the way he held himself in front of this other guy. All of it was to try and give off the vibe that he was above this other guy.

Even though he was the new guy, he had no doubt in his mind that he was the smarter one. His degree would say he was a chemist but his on hands knowledge and training under the marked helped him to establish a sort of air above him that hinted at a more elite status. His whole undercover profile was that he was some person from a rich family from another city. Raised in the elite status of people, he grew a distaste for working with other people that he deemed to be of lower status to him. It was meant to help make people dislike him and simply think that he would avoid them because of the status and not because of other reasons.
    made by the lovely karma

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Edward looked at him surprised but not all that offended. It was obvious he had been in this position before. Once they finished shaking hands, he put up open hands next to his shoulders as if someone was holding a gun at him. "Whoah man. No need for the hostility," he said with a small smirk, his thin moustache raising on only one side. "Kelly. Man, she's above my pay grade which is currently above your pay grade so she's way above your pay grade," he said before chuckling. He didn't have much hair on his head and everything about him was slightly round. "But this was and we'll uh...start the important things," he added before starting to walk down a hallway.

The white walls were made brighter by having many open windows into many of the labs. As they walked down the hall, Kelly could be seen working with a much older gentleman in one of the labs. They were looking over some charts on clipboards and discussing something. As they moved past the place that the workers could be seen she was turning away from the window to do something.

The lab that Edward was leading Etmere to was only three more labs down and across the hall. "Home sweet home," he said, scanning his card at the door. "You should wait 'til the door locks and try your card just to make sure it works. If it doesn't you'll have to go up to operations and get them to fix it," he said simply before walking in and closing the door behind him. When Etmere did get in he would be greeted by a lab coat being tossed at his face. "All yours, man. The company washes them on the weekend so you want to make sure that you leave it here," Edward explained. "And make sure you don't wear ties. Lab rules. And close toed shoes too," he added, giving Edmere the dress code. Currently he had jeans and a sweater with a terrible pattern on under his lab coat. Just like Kelly's it had "Hammstein Laboratories" emblazoned on a pocket on the chest. Unlike Kelly's, his didn't look like it had been washed or starched each weekend as he claimed.

Leader of the Kitsune
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Etmere followed the man for now and as he went past the lab that Kelly was in he made sure to smile, just in case she saw it somehow. As he got to his lab and listened to the man he sighed in his mind about the keycard. He scanned it and the door opened like it was meant to. He walked into the lab and caught the lab coat. As he listened to the man give him the dress code he took the lab coat and put it over the clothing he was wearing. Right now all he had on was a simple shirt and jeans. He looked down at his shoes before speaking. "How about boots. They're closed toe since I wear them when I ride my bike. After all, I would hate to get into an accident and have my toes removed from my feet."

He adjusted the sleeves of his lab coat so that he could still see his watch on his wrist, looking at how much time had already gone through the day. As he observed the man he noticed a few things about him. His clothes, they seemed, similar to Kelly's but almost... dirtier... "I would suggest you probably get your clothes cleaned. If I noticed on my first day, you can bet Kelly has already noticed. Now tell me, what is it that we are working on. I'll need a computer, a desk, a couple of journals to write my findings in. The usual. I also wouldn't mind you telling me exactly what it is my job is here. If my talents are wasted being as someone's assistant, I can assure you it will be a mistake." He said with an amused smirk.
    made by the lovely karma

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Edward looked at him in a slight state of shock as he demanded certain things in order to record findings and do work. "Dude you gotta work your way up to getting your own stuff," he pointed out to him before walking behind one of the tables where there were microscopes and centrifuges, two of each. The lab was set up perfectly so that there could be a team working together to run tests. "If you want we could move things around here so you have your half and I have mine," he commented as things were currently set up so that the centrifuges were beside each other, the microscopes paired up, and any other equipment, including the two computers in the room, were stationed together.

Just as he was about to start explaining something, a beep alerted them to someone scanning into the room and Kelly walked in. "Hey Edward," she said as she walked in. When she saw Etmere there she smiled. "Oh good you're here too," she said to him. "Edward, can you show him what tests are run on the samples," she asked as she handed over a fair sized plastic container with about twenty blood vials.

Edward nodded to her with a smile. "Yes ma'am, I can," he confirmed before she turned from him.

Kelly nodded to him and then turned back to Etmere. "Enjoy," she said honestly before turning and walking back out. Efficient as always.

Leader of the Kitsune
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

He watched her leave before ignoring Edward and following her out. Closing the door behind him he called out to her before she could go to a new room. "So Kelly, I would love it if you could explain to me what it is my skills are being used on instead of Edward. No offense to him, but I would rather be taught by the person who is moving up." As he spoke he made sure to move so that he could actually look her in the eyes, the first time he started to give his whole attention to her.

"I would prefer to rise sooner than later. At least to the point where I can run and dedicate my own experiments instead of repeating the experiment of someone who already tried just to make sure the same results come in. Especially if I prove someone wrong only to have them decide I must be wrong since I am lower on the ladder." He leaned slightly on his heels while crossing his arms over his chest, keeping eye contact on her.
    made by the lovely karma

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Kelly heard the door open before she heard her name. At her name, she turned and looked to Etmere as he came up to her, the few steps down the hall that she had made it anyways. His plea was one that she had heard many times before. Men that thought they were too good to be in a lab doing work that years of hard workers had done before them. Of course, hearing him talk about his education she had expected this but not on the first day.

"Well currently your skills are being put to use testing to see if things have changed. Every day the lab runs about twenty tests on blood samples and checks to see if things have changed for the subjects that are being tested that day. It's an important factor in determining if any of the tests are having an effect," she pointed out to him.

She had heard his plea though and something was in him that had been in her when she had started. It was drive and she could appreciate that. "Etmere, look. Everyone that starts here starts in the lab. I did six months of just running samples before I was allowed to work on the testing floor and looking at the experiments that were being done. Many of the people hired to work in the lab here quit because they can't last the year that it normally takes. Edward is a special case and has never wanted to rise and has been in that lab for five years. He trained me to do those tasks. If you want to rise, do the work.

"Ask Edward about what each of the tests is for and he can tell you. If you honestly think you could test something or do something more efficiently or try something that hasn't been tried before write up a proposal. You can always put the proposal in even if you aren't necessarily the one that will start the experimenting on it right away. It's the only way that people move up faster than they should," she told him, letting him in on a secret. It was the way that she had been allowed to move up faster. Three proposals in six months and she was allowed to move up to see what more she could see. She found out later that only one of her early proposals had not been tested yet but it was still helpful.

As she had managed to have an entire conversation with him holding her eyes, she was impressed. There was something about his eyes though...something very interesting. She couldn't put her finger on it yet. "It is a company. You have to go through the motions sometimes," she said to him before walking past and patting him gently on the shoulder as she did in a way of encouragement. "I'll see you at the end of the day," she commented again before heading back to the lab she had been working in.

Leader of the Kitsune
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

He watched her walk away with a smirk before heading back into his own lab. He quickly cracked his neck and his fingers before moving over to where the equipment was and started to move stuff around. "I've been assured that If I want to move up quickly, I am going to need to work with you. I still want stuff separated though so that I don't have to run into you while I am trying to do my work. As for journals, I guess I'll just have to bring some in from home tomorrow."

As he finished moving stuff around and moving things into a specific corner for him to have to himself he smiled slightly. Now he could have some slight privacy, not that he would keep the sensitive information at work anyways, it would allow him to establish more of assigned background. He then moved over to where the microscopes were at before speaking. "Okay, show me what it is that we're going to do. The faster this is done, the sooner I can get to writing up my own ideas to have submitted." He would have to get a message out to his contact in the city. Mainly to send copies of each experiment he was going to send as ideas to the company. That way his people back home could try the experiment as well and send him their results to help him make suggestions to the company to get certain other results to appear.
    made by the lovely karma

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Edward watched him a little confused as he almost immediately started moving things around in the room. No one had really taken him up on his offer before to move things around. It was a good thing that with two of them to work on the analysis it would go twice as fast. That was honestly the most time consuming part. When Etmere was done shuffling things around, Edward started showing him the process that they would be using to test the samples. It was clear to see that Etmere wanted to be doing a good job even if it was to move up the ladder. With that in mind he pointed out all the meticulous things, things that he didn't normally point out until later. This new guy was a quick study or at least he should be if he was that concerned about doing a good job.

There were enough samples to do that they each took nine. They prepared samples for the centrifuges and while the machine was running, the microscopes were set up and ready to go. Edward showed Etmere which files to open in the computer, where to look for the comparisons and how to save the new analysis that was going to come up after the sample was split. Half from the centrifuge went to the microscope and another half was diluted and put through the mass spectrometer to make sure it was meeting standards.

"On my own this will take me the whole afternoon but with you here we might actually be able to get more done starting tomorrow," he said sounding satisfied about the fact. "I'm about a week behind on old tests after the last guy that was working with me got fired," he commented. Even though he may not look the part, it was incredibly clear that Edward knew exactly what he was talking about when he was doing this work.

Leader of the Kitsune
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

"Catch up work. Some people really are just so low quality that they can't even do their job correctly. There should be no reason for someone to not be able to do the job they were hired to do after the fact of already being hired. What did he do to get himself fired from a company that is hard to get hired within the first place." He talked as he worked. Observing the different samples, making notes on some paper he found before moving the notes on his computer, only to go on to the next sample and repeat the process.

As he worked, it only became more clear that he had done it before. Which could lead others to question his education again as Kelly had done with him. He didn't care much about it though, figuring he could just give the same answer as before. He learned from a place in a city to the south and that he couldn't really be bothered to give the name. Of course, he knew if it was pressed, he would probably have to go into more detail about it. All while working he also made sure to observe Edward. It was clear what Kelly said was true, he knew what he was doing, even if he didn't look the part of someone being experienced in their field. Someone, he would have to try and get close to in order to get better information about different things in the future.
    made by the lovely karma

Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast