Page 72 of 76 FirstFirst ... 227071727374 ... LastLast

Thread: General Discussion

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Salroka View Post
    They may not be Astartes or Inquisitors, but they're still not something most Imperial citizens (be they rebels or not) want to be on the wrong side of.
    If you’re an average Imperial citizen and Arbites are rolling out from their Precinct Fortress (let alone if they’re rolling out in force) suffice to say it might be the worst day of your life, and perhaps the end of your way of life as you know it, as something has gone wrong – and that’s if you’re a bystander.

God-Emperor help you if you’re their target.

Quote Originally Posted by Salroka View Post
    If you or someone else wants to help me figure out a decent backstory and explanation for him being there, I would appreciate it. As I said, I know a fair bit of lore but have never actually played a game beyond the 40k Inquisitor game on Xbox One.
    Yeah, happy to help – and I’m sure the rest of the folks will also gladly offer their own thoughts, and they’re going to have some excellent perspectives.

My suggestion would be to keep your character as who they are as a person at the core of what you create, as the 40k flavoring can always come after. In my opinion, the greatest things about character / world building in 40k is that there’s room for almost anything to be valid (there are comparatively few this cannot happen, or it can only be this way bright lines of canon) as so much of the lore is inspired by / blatantly stolen from world history and other art media, that you almost can’t go wrong.

For example, and keeping with the Arbites, while they’re (quite explicitly) wearing their Judge Dredd inspiration on their sleeve, and while it’s an excellent baseline and inspiration, you’re not obliged to have your Arbite as a carbon copy of Dredd, down to having Karl Urban’s marvelous range in scowls - unless you want that for your character. Which, well, not a bad trait to have in the slightest.

Jarm’s Glabrio Hybrida (Arbite turned Interrogator, who your character will meet on Tranch) was was introduced like this…which immediately set the tone that he wasn’t of the Dredd mold – although, for all the jellybeans / jokes / skirt chasing, he’s as serious business as any Arbite.

Now on a foundational, nuts and bolts level, as a character in the service of an Imperial Adeptus organization? Your character was almost certainly educated and raised by the Imperium itself, through the Schola Progenium (usually shorthanded to the Schola) which, in broad terms, boarding school / orphanage which ensures – courtesy of the drill abbots (former military turned priest) and “retired” personnel from Adeptus’) the future servants of the Imperium (either in the redundantly multitudinous and often redundant bureaucracy, or military service branches) have a roughly standardized education and indoctrination, as in the majority of cases the point is made an Adeptus representative never serves on the world they were born, so there’s no conflicts of interest in their service to the Imperium.

Exceptions, of course, always exist (most notably in this narrative, Arcolin DeRei, and it ended…poorly) as with the Imperium, human errors and hypocrisy run rampant – and while nominally, the majority of the students (Progenii) are orphans of those killed in Imperial service, it’s not uncommon at all for the superfluous spares of nobility to be “volunteered”, or even genuine cases of children volunteering – and the schola’s themselves have been described from highly strict and structured boarding schools, to frankly nonsensical nightmare torture prisons - so while there’s this almost “this is the way” boundary, there’s plenty of room to creatively maneuver, and have a satisfying rich character background.

In regards to Arbites and how they function, broadly speaking, they’re the conspicuous reminder (from the lowliest mutant to the planetary governor) that the Imperium is present, and always watching. They do not, as a matter of SOP, have non-official interactions with the local population or rely on where they’re stationed for any of their supplies. No sympathy for the starving commoners they’re truncheoning for threatening the Munitorum representatives who’ve taken their grain to feed the crusade half a sector away. No hesitation when investigating a noble household for seditious conspiracy, because they’ve generously funded – “out of civic virtue” - the Arbitrator’s newest patrol Rhinos.

Loyalty to the Emperor and Terra alone.

Now when the excrement hits the oscillator and the Pax Imperialis is threatened, the Adeptus Arbites handle it in either of two ways: ruthlessly charge out and suppress the threat to Imperial rule, and if that fails – or that’s how rapidly the situation deteriorated – they hunker down, refuse to surrender, and die to the last either protecting the loyalist regime / defying and occupying the enemy while (hopefully) the Imperium receives word of the precarious situation, and sends relief or plans a Reconquista.

Unfortunately for the Arbites in Adrantis, the Patriots were exceptionally well disciplined and organized (not a surprise, as their independence ideology originated in the local Navy Battlefleet) and methodical in preparing the groundwork for the revolution over a couple decades, which caught the Arbites wholly by surprise – which was briefly shown in an excerpt from Penitence:

Spoiler: Patriots target the Adeptus Arbites 

In regards to how the takedown of the Arbites garrisoned on Tranch, where your character would be coming in, its fair to say it might’ve gone down similar – although, what with Tranch having much more mutation than the average hive world, it stands to reason mutants might’ve played an outsized role – which could be another layer in how interesting it is for your character live amongst (and only because of) mutants who are loyal to the Imperium…which is the same Imperium which would’ve had your Arbite and his now deceased comrades cull them as routine purge without thought or question.

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

EDIT - whoops, ninja’d by Paint’s excellent and comprehensive post!

In terms of broad strokes, your character would likely:

• Be an orphan, or possibly left at the doorstep of a church, or “donated” by a noble family with too many inheritors
    • Be from one of the worlds in the Adrantis subsector other than Tranch (the hive worlds Tephaine and Baraspine are good candidates, though really any of the Adrantean worlds could work)
    • Been heavily indoctrinated with “copaganda”, though their lived experience may have changed them
    • Have been assigned to hive Fornax, one of the mega-cities on the hive world of Tranch
    • Be familiar with the local police force, the Krypteia - they are funded by the hive oligarchs, wear red full-body armour, and generally carry stubguns with rubber bullets, teargas grenades and swords
    • Have witnessed the Patriot uprising in which most of their fellow arbitrators were killed, along with other bastions of imperial control. They would know that it was clearly long-planned, well-executed and subject to collusion up to the highest level of Adrantean military and government.
    • Have ended up in the Soot Warren mining camps outside the hive, where they would have been found and sheltered by a group of loyalist mutant workers under the leadership of sister Lila, an undercover sororita disguised as a mutant.

The “loyal roaches” as Lila’s men call themselves have a surprising number of connections and informers in Fornax midhive (beggars, slaves, prostitutes and the like), though without access to astropaths they have been unable to smuggle any of their gathered intelligence offworld.

It is currently winter on Tranch, and the weather alternates between dirty snow and freezing rain.
    Last edited by Azazeal849; 05-28-2023 at 07:47 AM.

Antivan Crow
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    No Romance or Furry.
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Much appreciated, both of you. That information will help a lot.
    Spoiler: Neat Stuff Within 

RPA Honor Guard
    Sci-fi, Fantasy, Mature
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)

hey guys what do you think of this casting?

Spoiler: Things I like 

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

Belongs in the 40K discussion thread, but I will admit that some of those were entertaining.

As some of the threads have advanced into C3, I have posted the relevant Imperial and Patriot interludes to give additional context. Thanks to PaintSerf for proof-reading and suggestions!
    Spoiler: My RP links 

PM me for novelised versions of any of my RPs, or ones that I have participated in. Set by the awesome Karma.

The Last Remembrancer
    Modern times or Sci-Fi games.
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Finally finished the titan post in imperial ground.

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

Awesome stuff. Time for a chase scene for the Amazoneum and an all-out war for the Sirenia!

PM me for novelised versions of any of my RPs, or ones that I have participated in. Set by the awesome Karma.

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

And posted!

Naturally I want to keep you all for myself, but it feels only fair to point you towards this other rather different but rather cool-looking RP that’s just been resurrected.

June MotM 2014
    Sci-fi
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

I'm still here. Work has been kicking my ass recently. Will post when I get time.

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

I’m suffering somewhat the same fate, but I have managed to start work on some Home Front stuff with the Patriot gang.

Page 72 of 76 FirstFirst ... 227071727374 ... LastLast