Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: [M] Once Cursed, Twice Damned {Lyra & Midori-Hime}}

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy, sci-fi, medieval, adventure, tragicomedy, steampunk;
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It was fortunate Theo came up with a twenty to pay off the peddler, for Matty was stone-broke. Quite frequently he'd find his pockets empty, as if someone had burnt a hole in them and the money he'd put in after each successful mission would simply vanish in thin air. It wasn't that he had a penchant for reckless spending, after all, he did not dress extravagantly or brandished diamonds or gold. He simply dabbled in gambling every so often, all or nothing being his chief game strategy as well as cheating.

The salesman grinned as he took possession of the money, visibly cheerful. "Alrighty then, I always keep me word." he hid his wares and beckoned the pair to follow him as he strutted over to a backdoor alley. As he moved, he spoke in a loud tone of voice. Those who were trying to sleep cursed him for waking them up but the salesman was barely affected. "Ye don't see 'im when he visits, no, ye feel it. Ye get gooseflesh in places ye never thought ye had. Most vamps, ye see, when they come 'round here, they strut like they own the place, and they do," he remained cheery and never wavered, "this one, he owns ye and the place. Ye never know who's next. Sometimes, he doesn't come, sometimes we just find blood,"

Mathian followed the salesman, wishing he'd just get to the point. True, it was unnatural for a vampire to behave in such a way; usually, they enjoyed being in the open and sinking their rotten teeth into anything they desired surrounded by horror-stricken spectators, but making their target into an undefeatable evil was over the top.

"Just tell us where to find him, I don't care if he's Satan incarnate," the tone of Mathian's voice was layered with sarcasm.

The salesman laughed and led them further into the alley where light dimmed and the smell became more unbearable. He pointed to a barred entry point, a vast pipe that leaked out black-colored waste. It was big enough for two grown men to pass through side by side, thought he wagered they'd have to slouch a bit further in.

"'ere we go, lads. There are many of these 'round 'ere. They all be connected. Now, watch yeself. It be dark in there." he warned and gestured them to proceed without him.

Mathian approached the entry way, finding that the lock had long been broken. He removed the bars and braved a look. It was pitch-black and it exuded fear. Yup, that was the place.

"Alright," he looked back at Theo. "How well can you see in the dark?" his eyes also looked for the salesman but there was no trace of him. He simply vanished, which was quite confusing but not in the least bit relevant, or so Mathian thought.

Member of the Month!
    Fantasy, Historical, Romance, Horror, Adventure
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Theo glanced over at Mathian with a raised brow as the old man gestured for them to follow, finally giving a shrug before he went along with it. However, he wasn't sure if it was a good thing to have the man shouting out their business through the streets, but then again, he had his doubts that anyone actually listened to the crazy old peddler. In fact, he was having trouble focusing on all the idle nonsense he was spewing. "Have you actually seen this vampire yourself?" He asked suddenly, obviously skeptical by his tone of voice.

But it seemed like the salesman didn't intend to answer his question, or maybe he just didn't hear him over the sound of his own voice. As they got closer, Theo took to breathing through his mouth, lifting the back of his hand to cover his nose a bit. "Ugh, yeah... We're close." He grumbled until finally they stopped at an entrance to the sewer system.

He stepped after Mathian, watching the warlock draw the gate open and sighed. They were really doing this, he thought grimly, then met Mathian's eyes briefly before peering into the tunnel himself. "Hmm, honestly... Not the best in this kind darkness. But I can see well enough to get us around... or know if somethings coming." He said, with just a little edge to his voice. At first he brushed off the old man's rambling, but he couldn't deny that there was something about this place that had the hairs on the back of his neck standing on end.

Theo glanced behind him, startled for a moment to find the peddler had vanished without a sound. "Alright... let's get this over with." He said then, having had enough of this weird shit. Obviously he lead the way, stepping through god knows what as he entered the tunnel. "Ugh, I liked these boots too..." He muttered bitterly, trudging on through the dank sewers.

"There's a turn coming up ahead. To the left." He told Mathian, guiding the essentially blind warlock. "Can you see anything at all?" He asked suddenly, curious and perhaps a little amused. Soon enough they would come to an intersection and Theo would stop short. "Which way? Left, right or straight?" He questioned, wondering if Mathian had any inkling of which direction to take. "We just have to make sure we don't get lost... I'd rather not get stuck in here any longer than we-"

The werewolf trailed off suddenly. "Wait..." He said, the sound of his boots sloshing through waste water echoed through the tunnel as he took a few steps foward. "I smell blood... This way. It's faint but it's there." He murmured then, starting straight ahead despite the direction Mathian might have had in mind.

"If you could only see the beast you've made of me
    I held it in but now it seems you've set it running free
    Screaming in the dark, I howl when we're apart
    Drag my teeth across your chest to taste your beating heart

My fingers claw your skin, try to tear my way in
    You are the moon that breaks the night for which I have to howl"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mathian cast a wary glance into the darkness that spread before them but he was not afraid to follow Theo blind. The darkness stared back at him; it was a familiar feeling, imbued with intensity and reverence. He who fights with monsters is himself a monster, he would quote. He pressed on, supporting himself with both hands against the stone-cold walls. Liquid splashed beneath their feet and moved in ripples, mud intended to slow them down, latching onto their boots. He relied on his hearing to determine the direction, he was listening to Theo's footsteps and motions, but at the same time he was trying to remember a spell that could allow him to move more freely. Something easy but effective. He wanted to conjure up a flame but he needed to conserve his strength. The vampire could ambush them at anytime.

"I'll be fine," he grunted, breathing through his mouth to avoid nausea as they came to a stop at an intersection. Matty had no idea where they should go next, he did not have a keen sense of smell, nor could he see where they were going. It was up to Theo. Before he could voice any kind of opinion, though, Theo rushed ahead, claiming to have smelled blood. Matty stood still for a moment, trying to concentrate. He thought he might try something, he was fumbling for words. At last, it came to him after a series of mistrials. Ut noctem luci, as day as night, he repeated three times and blinked three times. Slowly but surely, there was light in his eyes and he could see, although not perfectly, where the edges were, where the waste was flowing, how many turns they had as options, scratches on the walls, and how eerie the place actually was.

He started up again and sped up the pace to keep up with the wolf. For a moment, his sight blurred and he almost tripped over his own feet and hit his head against the wall; luckily it was a minor bump. He hadn't mastered the spell yet, he'd only ever used it once before. "Ouch," he hissed, rubbing the spot.

As they continued, the narrow space opened up and they came upon the edge of the tunnel where the waste water cascaded down into a large stream to be carried elsewhere. Matty stood by the edge and surveyed the scene. There were many tunnels connected with the open space. Some below, some above. The stream flowed in the middle, from one end into another. To the sides were passageways, but the way down from where they stood was a free fall, and it was fairly high. Not something a witch could pull off.

"I don't know any levitation spells," Matty said honestly, spying a staircase and a door in the down left corner. "There, look,"

Member of the Month!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

For the moment it was silent as Theo tried to concentrate, with only the wet sounds from their boots sloshing through the black gunk echoing around them. It was difficult to smell much of anything beyond the overwhelming stench of waste, but there underneath the putrid smell was definitely the scent of blood. He couldn't tell yet how fresh the trail was, but the more they followed the scent, the more Theo was sure they were heading in the right direction.

The silence was finally broken when the warlock tripped over himself. Theo heard the sudden shuffle of his feet and turned sharply. "What is it?" He said sharply, then blinked seeing Mathian rubbing his head. Theo bit his lip, unable to hide a little snort. "Watch yourself..." He warned in hindsight, turning to continue on ahead.

As they came to the tunnel's end, Theo stopped and leaned out carefully to get a look around the many adjacent passages, before moving aside to let Mathian get a look. Hearing that the warlock had spotted something, his amber eyes shifted suddenly to check it out. "Yeah, that looks like something." He murmured, studying the door for a moment. But it was a long way down and Mathian had already stated that he didn't know any spells to get them down.

"I got this..." He said suddenly, turning to look at the witch as if he were contemplating something. It seemed he finally decided on the least awkward solution, turning his back to Mathian and crouching down. "Hurry, climb on..." He said, his arms ready to grasp under the warlocks thighs. "Hope you're not afraid of heights." He murmured, smirking a little to himself.

Once the warlock finally shifted onto his back, the werewolf's arms supported his weight easily, as if he weighed the same as a small child. "Hold on." Theo warned before stepping to the edge. And then he leapt off, free falling a good four to five stories before landing gracefully with only a small jolt from the impact. Theo bent down again, releasing Mathian's legs to let him slide off. "All good?" He asked then, finally glancing back at the other curiously.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

An awkward pause followed Matty's remark. Staring at Theo's broad shoulders and lean backside as the wolf beckoned him for a piggyback ride was painfully embarrassing. He was too proud for such a feat and yet, there was no other way they could land safely. Werewolves were known for their athletic prowess; attempting a jump like that would be child's play but it would definitely scar Matty's ego. He bit down hard on his lower lip, any harder and blood would have oozed out in splashes. He cursed the day he decided to skip the chapter on levitation spells and vowed to learn every single one starting tomorrow.

Finally, swallowing his pride, he forced himself to grab onto Theo, arms on the wolf's firm shoulders and knees locked at the wolf's hips. He felt like a helpless child as Theo leapt into the air and landed gently on the concrete below. Upon impact, Matty tensed up reflexively grabbing a firmer hold of the wolf. He wasn't scared of heights; in fact, there were few things he was afraid of although he'd never admit to it. As soon as it was safe, he slid off and moved a few feet away, adjusting his crinkled clothes. A light, embarrassing blush shimmered on his cheeks. Every, single, fucking, spell, he repeated inwardly, clearing his throat.

"Yes," he said confidently, banishing the awkward blush. "I take it back... the witch who cursed you wolves wasn't all mad. You do make great lapdogs," he joked with a hint of a jibe. He would often do that when he felt disadvantaged or when his pride was wounded. He wasn't the kind to say thank you.

He averted his gaze onto the door they had spotted earlier and he noticed it was slightly ajar. A single strip of light could be seen coming from behind. It was faint but it was there. Perhaps it was a way out.

"Do you still smell it? There?" he asked, moving up the stars to inspect the doorway, back in full serious mode.
    Last edited by Lyra; 11-24-2018 at 09:34 PM.

Member of the Month!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Theo wasn't oblivious to Mathian's blush and his smirk only grew at the sight of it. He had hoped to get a little revenge for the whole portal thing, though he wasn't statisfied just yet... He told himself the warlock had it coming and it was only a matter of time. He'd see to it that karma bit Mathian in the ass. Though at the warlock's snide little remark, the smirk fell away and his eyes narrowed into a glare. "Careful... This dog bites~" He warned, his voice low, but there was a look in his amber eyes that said that Theo was only messing with him.

But enough of that... Theo walked past his partner, starting towards the stairs. He could see that the door was open, which was fortunate for them, but it also creeped him out a bit to be honest. But then, he was already creeped out by this whole situation. "Yeah..." He replied to Mathian's question with a grim expression. "It's much stronger now." As they came to the landing at the top of the stairs, he slid to the side, gesturing to Mathian to stay out of sight, before he carefully tried to peek in through the open crack.

It was still quite dark, though there was faint rays of light coming down from above. But besides that, he didn't see nor hear any movement. With a cautious glance to Mathian, he nodded and then opened the door carefully. To his relief it was a small space, without much room for anything to be lurking in the shadows, waiting to catch them off guard. Theo slowly stepped into the small room, looking across at the ladder which seemed to lead upwards towards the light source. "Seems to be a way out, thank the lord." He said, turning back to Mathian. However, something on the wall caught his attention and he froze, his whole body tensing.

There on the wall was manic writings, most of which was difficult if not impossible to decipher. Though most disturbing of all was the fact that it was very clearly written in blood, by someone using their fingers. "-The fuck..." He breathed. It was very unsettling, especially when he finally came across a few words that he could actually discern. "It hurts... Can't stop-... Can't. -Make it stop. Thirst... Won't-." Theo read a few of the words he could clearly read out loud before going quiet. He swallowed and then looked over to Mathian, wondering what he made of all of this. "You think... Jacob did this?" He muttered finally, his brows furrowed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Slowly, Matty's spell began to weaken and the light fade. Luckily, they seemed to have found a way out which meant they were inching closer to their target. If only he'd come to them, Matty mused, deep in thought. It was only when he glanced at Theo that he noticed something was wrong. The wolf was frozen solid, his unnerving eyes roaming the walls. Matty struggled to focus on what he thought were strange markings of a deep red. He spun on his heel and took in the sight. Everywhere, to the left, right, on the ceiling... seemingly random words written in blood.

He could not look away trying to make sense of the frenzied writing but the words were random, disconnected, worrisome. He caught a quick frown, perhaps of concern. He took a moment to think before he said, in a gruff tone of voice,

"Hope not. An erratic vampire is twice the trouble." Truth be told, Matty preferred simple missions like patrolling the streets or chasing away troublesome supernatural goons. Others called that boring, Matty referred to it as less time-consuming. He'd much rather focus on improving himself or getting his hands on rare magical relics and artifacts or plotting to destroy the Brummit family line. Running after runaway vampires with little to no information to work with seemed like a classic overture to something self-destructive. Matty was being dragged into it unwillingly.

Just when his beautiful brain was starting to locate patterns and perceive an oddly familiar shape of the entire scripture, the light in his eyes disappeared completely. He could not see anything apart from that single ray of sunshine that peered through the manhole and down the ladder.

"I have an idea," he said and pulled out a pocket knife. It was a small, wee thing but its blade was very sharp. He was about to do something reckless, but he was tired of waiting. Without thinking and with teeth firmly clenched, he slashed his left palm, blood leaking out in drops on the floor. A low hiss tore from his throat. "Maybe it's time he came to us," he began his ascent in rapid steps, tense with excitement. Up above, the manhole had been removed and he exited to see an empty street, half-demolished buildings, constructions signs, and not a single person in sight. He pulled himself up and took to his feet, surveying the scenery as the smell of his blood, a witch's blood, permeated the air and spread like wildfire. Given the vampire's erratic behavior, Matty reckoned his senses were keener and that he would not be able to resist. Hopefully, no other vampires would show up. He turned to Theo with a smirk on his face, offering the wolf his knife,

"Bleed with me." He half joked, half meant it.

Member of the Month!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Theo didn't say anything else, only turning his eyes back to the scrambled words in a long moment of silence. They couldn't be sure that this was Jacob's doing, but something deep in his gut told him something was very, very wrong about this whole thing. "Well, if he didn't do this... I really hope we don't run into whatever did." He murmured finally, warily. He was quickly coming to the realization that this likely wasn't going to be as simple as he'd hoped.

Turning to the ladder, Theo stepped over to it, placing his hand on one of the rungs and gave it a pull, testing out the strength of the structure. Seemed solid enough, he thought before turning his eyes upward to the light. As Mathian spoke, the werewolf's gaze turned towards him sharply. "Yeah-" He started, but broke off the moment he saw the warlock pull out a knife. His cedar eyes widened then, unable to speak or move to stop him before Mathian sliced his hand open. Theo sucked in a breath, flinching for a moment as he imagined the pain. "Jesus..." He murmured and stepped aside as Mathian moved past him, starting to climb up the ladder.

Theo shook his head a little and followed after him, his sense of smell overwhelmed with the scent of Mathian's blood at the present moment. And then suddenly he paused and looked down at the wetness clinging to his hand. "Ugh! You think maybe you should have waited until after we climbed the ladder to cut your hand open?" He called up at the warlock, narrowing his eyes as he looked up at the other. However, his glare was only met with Mathian's lean backside and he quickly averted his gaze.

Once they had surfaced, Theo wiped his bloodied hand over the bottom of his shirt as he cursed under his breath. He paused then as Mathian handed the knife to him. He blinked, considering it for a moment but then the corner of his lips turned up in a small smirk. "As tempting as that sounds... I don't think that's such a good idea. Generally the scent of werewolf blood repels vampires. This one might be so far out of his mind that it doesn't matter... But I don't want to take the chance that it might actually scare him off instead of luring him in."

"We wouldn't want your sacrifice to be in vain, now would we?" He muttered sarcastically, his smirk growing. However, it fell away as he finally took a moment to study their new surroundings. It looked like a dingy, run down sort of place... but at least they weren't stuck in the sewers anymore. Theo looked to the horizon and frowned. "Hmm... Still a little while until sunset. What now?" He asked, crossing his arms over his chest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Now, we wait," he said, clenching the wounded palm into a fist to increase the blood leakage. The blood trickled onto the dry, sandy ground and as the intensity increased the sensation changed from twinge to severe pain. His entire arm began to tremble and he drew in his breath with a hiss. The pain was familiar, he'd cut himself before for a similar purpose, and learned a few handy healing spells in the process. He hoped it wasn't in vain, though. Alert but equally tired, he strode over to a chunk of wood by a half-razed wall and sat on it, legs crossed. The sky up above shone in lilac colors, cloudlets drifted slowly, and the sun was half-asleep. It was beautiful but quite distracting.

Matty focused on their surroundings, making sure he could spy each corner from a distance, looking every now and then at the wolf. At the moment, all was quiet. Too quiet and slightly awkward. The blood was still oozing so he covered the cut with the edge of his coat and applied some pressure. Losing too much blood wouldn't be smart. Finally, with a low sigh of relief, he popped a question,

"You sure vampires don't just prefer quality blood?" a mischievous smirk flickered at edge of his mouth but he made no attempt to hide it. "Repel is a strong word," he added. Truth be told, he wasn't well-versed in either species' lore; quite frankly he thought it a bore but he was a quick study. The only relevant piece of information he thought worthy was that a witch, bitten by either in special circumstances, loses their power upon transformation or rebirth. Matty liked being a witch and he wished to stay being one. It was said that a witch's blood could make a vampire stronger, though those were just rumors. Nevertheless, vampires always make sure to check first.

"We'll have to knock him out," he said in low undertones, more to himself than to Theo; he had a habit of musing out loud sometimes. The pain was still present, it grew worse, so he tried not to think about it, to numb it out by focusing on the pressing matter. How were they going to capture it? Or, even worse, would he be strong enough to portal them out?

Member of the Month!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Theo cringed slightly, watching the warlock's blood drip onto the ground. His eyes shifted then, following the other as he took a seat and then sighed softly, deciding to lean back against a half fallen brick wall behind him. He held his arms over his chest, watching and waiting for any sign of activity. The silence between them dragged on for a while before Mathian finally broke it.

Suddenly his gaze returned to the warlock with a raised brow. "Heh, no. I don't think you understand how much werewolves and vampires despise each other. I don't really know why... how it all started, but it seems to have been that way since we were first created." He looked down at his own hand where the warlocks blood still stained his skin. "From what I understand, vampires can drink a werewolf's blood, and even temporarily gain power from it, but side effects are rather unpleasant. And that's even if a vampire dares to get close enough to a werewolf to drink his blood." He explained.

He then studied Mathian for a moment, sensing the warlock's unease and his gaze eventually wandered to his hand, still smelling fresh blood. Theo caught his muttered words then, quickly returning his gaze to the witch's face. "Mmm, yeah good idea. We should probably spend this time coming up with a strategy. What kind of spells do you have in your arsenal? If I can restrain him, do you have something to like... knock him out, or I dunno, bind him? Or something?" He asked, not really having any idea what Matty was capable of.

His warm eyes suddenly darted back to Mathian's hand, and abruptly stepped away from the wall, approaching the warlock. "Here..." He muttered, lifting the hem of his shirt to his mouth, exposing his tight, muscular torso which flexed with the movement. He clenched the fabric between his teeth and ripped a long strip from the bottom of his shirt. Theo's warm eyes met Mathian's for a brief moment before grabbing his injured hand, carefully but tightly winding the strip of fabric around it.
    Last edited by Midori-Hime; 11-27-2018 at 06:11 PM.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast