Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 1112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: [M] Once Cursed, Twice Damned {Lyra & Midori-Hime}}

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy, sci-fi, medieval, adventure, tragicomedy, steampunk;
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The incantation appeared to have been a success, although Mathian felt disturbingly calm at first. Theo's raw wolfish power now coursed through his veins, filling the void that was Mathian's core magic. Instantly, he looked healthier, there was color in his cheeks and a luster in his otherwise dead eyes. His heart was beating faster and his hands were sweaty. He was holding onto the reassembled pen perhaps a bit too tightly when he realized that maybe he was breathing too rapidly and that such profuse sweating might be something to worry about. He pulled back, leaning onto the edge of the desk with one hand while he strugled to regulate the air coming in and the air coming out. The outflow of Theo's energy must have been too sudden, too overwhelming to be controlled without any serious side-effects.

He hissed and gritted his teeth as the room around him swirled before his glossed over eyes. He struggled to contain the wolf's energy. It felt like a living thing, but more playful than life-threatening. An itching sensation suddenly attacked him and goosebumps invaded his skin. It felt like the energy was accumulating at a great speed, ready to burst through him, and he braced himself but all he did was let out a cute, high-pitched sneeze before the surge of power tipped over like an oncoming wave. That was... completely unexpected. "What the f--," he shook his head, now feeling completely at ease. Perhaps even comfortable... and fuzzy? He blushed slightly but he was quick to turn around and make an attempt to compose himself.

"R-right, where were we?" He turned around to face Theo, back to his usual self, judgy facial expression and all. With a single finger snap, he changed himself out of his current clothes and back into his own, coat and all. He even gave Theo a snap and gifted him his old clothes back, already donned. "Pick up the sack, we're going back," he said in his usual commanding tone of voice and traced a wide ritual circle around them both by wiggling around a chalk with nothing but his eyes. It was amazing how truly easy it was to do such elementary magic, he thought. He chanced a fleeting glance at Theo, whose power he had borrowed, thinking of him now more like unexplored territory rather than just another useless partner.

"Can't say this won't hurt, but you can at least revel in the fact that it's gonna hurt me too," he said with a hint of smirk and traced the deconstructive teleportation spell in the book with his eyes. As soon as he finished mouthing the words that sounded nothing short of ominous, he winced at the sudden stinging pain. He lifted up his hands to his face only to gawk in horror at the sight of his nails peeling off his fingers. He yelled out gruffly and began shaking uncontrollably, his body instinctively curling inwardly. "Shit! Shit!" His skin, too, began to peel off, revealing flesh that was quickly dematerializing as if someone was gnawing at it with insatiable hunger. His bones turned to dust, his teeth fell out, every hair on his head withered away, his insides turned to mush and even his clothes disintegrated before he lost consciousness, leaving behind a terrible, agonizing scream.

Seconds later, he found himself lying on a cold, stone-paved ground in front of the towering building that was the militia's headquarters, with the sun hitting his face and making him squint. The initial numbness quickly wore off and he was able to pick himself up, shuddering at the thought that he was actually alive. That the pain had gone as rapidly as it had come. He began laughing loudly and faltered when his chest began to hurt. "Fuck, I'm gonna get myself killed..." he let out a whisper, looking around to see if Theo had made it. "Theo!" he gasped, hoping he hadn't killed the wolf.

Member of the Month!
    Fantasy, Historical, Romance, Horror, Adventure
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Theo waited for Mathian to say another smart ass remark, or comment on his sudden weakness, before he decided to torture him with another spell. However, he was met with silence, that is, until he heard the warlock's rapid breathing matching his racing heartbeat. "Mathian?" He murmured, his tone laced with concern as he finally looked up at his partner who seemed to be going through some sort of episode. Actually, it was a disturbingly familiar sort of episode... Like when he was about to shift, for example. "Jesus Christ..." He murmured, "Mathian, are you okay... Can you hear me. Focus on my voice-" He said suddenly, keeping his distance, about to go through the exercises that he was taught to control the change. Not that he thought that Mathian was about to turn into a werewolf, but he wasn't so thick as to not realize what was happening.

Suddenly it all clicked, what Mathian had meant when he wanted to borrow his 'brawn'. He'd drawn on his energy, his werewolf energy, and it seemed the wolf might be a little more than he'd bargained for. Yet as quickly as it came on, it suddenly came to an end with a loud, but adorable sneeze. Theo blinked and stared with an incredulous look as Mathian seemed to be back to his normal, cheeky, self. "The fuck..." He murmured. Theo then jumped, the snap breaking him out of his daze, and he looked down to find he was wearing his own clothes again. Suddenly a thought dawned on him and he looked up at Mathian, glaring daggers. "You know, this really could have come in handy earlier..." He grumbled lowly, recalling a certain incident in the main hall at HQ.

Not that Mathian paid him any mind, as usual. He grumbled a long string of quiet curses as he snatched the sack up from the floor and then moved to stand behind the witch. The werewolf raised a brow as he watched the chalk scribble a circle around them, seemingly of it's own accord. Theo then looked up at the witch's warning. "Oh, don't worry, I will..." He retorted.

He held his breath as Mathian read the spell, bracing himself for whatever might happen. But nothing could prepare him for such a horrifying spell such as this. "W-what the-... What the fuck?!" He gasped, watching as his body peeled apart layer by layer. He couldn't say which was more unpleasant, the sensation or watching the parts of his body literally fold back into itself. It was so shocking in fact that Theo's whole body began to tremble, starting to morph even as it deconstructed. His screams turned to almost inhuman howls. And then just when he couldn't take it anymore, everything went dark.

When Mathian turned, he'd find Theo just ten feet from him, kneeling on the damp ground and staring at his own hands, which were shaking uncontrollably. His eyes were glowing gold, fixed on his own hands blankly as he sat there, frozen. It was only when Mathian spoke again that he snapped out of it, bolting up from the ground and gasping a few deep breaths to calm himself. The intensity of the gold in his eyes faded a bit as he rubbed his hands over his own face. "Ugn! Fuck!" He gasped, hanging his head and collecting himself, before peeking up at his partner darkly. "We. Are never. Doing that. Again." After that, Theo decided he would gladly take a portal any day.

"If you could only see the beast you've made of me
    I held it in but now it seems you've set it running free
    Screaming in the dark, I howl when we're apart
    Drag my teeth across your chest to taste your beating heart

My fingers claw your skin, try to tear my way in
    You are the moon that breaks the night for which I have to howl"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mathian stood unbalanced, his legs shaking from the shock. Every cell in his fragile, mortal body had been undone and rebuilt in a matter of seconds and he felt like he was about to endure another such agonizing feat. Luckily, hearing Theo's voice, and seeing him in one piece, put him at ease. He took in a deep breath and fashioned a feeble smile, frisking himself to check if any parts of his body were missing. "Agreed," he said in a shaky tone of voice, relieved he had both of his balls attached.

He turned around, face to face with the now oddly swirling shape of the two conjoined, winged towers. Even the stone-wrought gargoyles swayed left and right, as if about to spring into flight. He blinked once and twice, realizing his vision had doubled. His hands fell to his knees for support as an onslaught of nausea invaded his stomach and he vomited without a warning. He spewed out water and bits of the food he'd eaten, not even trying to keep it down. "Shit," he cursed, wiping his mouth with his coat sleeve.

"Disgusting, has he no manners?" a whispering voice passed by, alerting him to the presence of other people. As per usual, the HQ was teeming with all sorts of low-lives, Mathian thought and shot a few an icy glare. The men and women scurried along, spewing more insults until they were out of earshot.

"Shall we?" He glanced Theo's way, biting his tongue before he could ask him if he was okay. When he turned towards the HQ's iron door, he saw one of the sentry guards picking up his speed towards them, a fancy, gold-gilded spear in hand.

"Halt right there, this is not a pig sty, clean your shit, you rat," the sentrymen were the least agreeable sort of people, mostly because they were impervious to magic and very sturdy in hand-to-hand combat. Mathian didn't take the insult too kindly but he didn't strike back with a condescending insult either. Instead, he clasped his hands together and curtsied a slight bow, uttering a half-assed apology.

"Oh how rude of me," he gasped, adding in an undertone, "as if this place wasn't enough of a shithole already," The sentry caught the last bit and pointed the tip of his spear Mathian's way but before he could arrest him for disobedience, Mathian waved his hand and made the pile of vomit disappear. "There, all good, see ya," he gave the man a wink and smirked, ushering Theo to follow him, having picked up the sack himself, and hurry up through the gate and inside the halls, pressing closer to him and whispering,

"I'd suggest we pick up the pace, before he notices he's soiled himself," he skittered inside as the sentryman returned to his post. He walked strangely, feeling an unusual wetness in his pants, but it wasn't until a rancid smell hit his nose that he noticed where the vomit had ended up. Fortunately, both the witch and the wolf were no longer in sight.

Member of the Month!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Theo flinched only for a moment as Mathian doubled over and suddenly vomitted. "Yeah, me too..." Was all he said with a tiny, not so amused, smirk. He picked up at the comments of the passers by and only narrowed his eyes, staring them down coldly. He'd love to see what they looked like if they even dared to go through the sort of ordeals he dealt with on a daily basis. "Yeah, I've had about enough..." He agreed, starting towards the building when he noticed the sentry rushing towards them. "Fucking now what..." He growled.

Suddenly an unexplained rumbled erupted from the wolf's chest as the sentry insulted Mathian, daring to raise their weapons at him. Not that he didn't want to beat the warlock unconscious himself right about know, but Theo realized that spell had been just as rough on him too. And frankly, he was just far beyond over it.

Mathian was quick however, and made it disappear with the flick of his wrist. Had He always been this quick to use his magic, Theo wondered briefly. He didn't need to be told twice to hurry along, but he raised as brow when the warlock leaned in to him. He blinked and then slowly a wide grin broke out over his face. "Nice..." He murmured approvingly before making thier way inside. Theo was booking it for his room, which was next to Mathian's. He paused when it came time to part ways for now, not really sure what to say to him after everything that had happened these past few days. So he simply opted for, "Rest well..." And with that the werewolf disappeared into his room.

A week passed which gave Theo plenty of time to rest and recover from the mission. He'd heard nothing from his partner and yet the few times that he did notice the warlock in the same hall, Theo would immediately duck into the nearest room or adjacent hallway. Though the rest of his days were pretty much business as usual and when it came to the weekend, he had no other plans than to read and relax in his room.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mathian gave the wolf a brief nod and slid into the confines of his room, bolting the door shut by reactivating the barier rune which protected the only place he could call home. It was dark and cluttered, a funny smell had been wafting in the air for a few weeks now but he could never seem to locate its source. He spent the next two boring and gloomy days beneath the covers, resting to regain his strength. Over the course of those two days, he watched the burnt mark on his wrist slowly disappear and with it his connection to Theo's inner wolf. That overly familiar feeling of emptiness returned but instead of feeling jaded by it, he preferred anger to keep him in check.

On the third day, he went through his supply inventory and noted down what he'd have to acquire to stock up on potions. Each passing hour, he would light a candle and subsequently put it out, just to check if he could still do it. He knew he would need another fix soon.

There was no sign of Theo, and although there were times when Mathian wanted to knock on his door, he restrained himself because he didn't know why he would want such a thing. He knew they were both short of money, though, but when he went to inquire about the completion of their recent delivery mission, he found out that they had no record of such an item on delivery. The status of their vampire-hunting mission was still pending, too. Angered by this, he took it out on the poor clerk with a barrage of condescending insults and left him whimpering behind the counter to be plagued by his incompetence.

Day five and Mathian could no longer conjure up even the flimsiest of flames and when he could, it would backfire and the flame would bite back. Without his magic, he felt utterly useless, he felt human and he could never allow himself to be one. After spending the entire day pacing up and down meaninglessly, he finally gave in to the easiest solution, although he had no idea how he was going to pay for it. He searched his desk for a very special piece of paper and jotted down 'midnight' in a hurry. A reply came quickly, written out on the same piece of paper but not by Mathian. It asked 'the usual?' so Mathian responded with a simple 'yes' and breathed a sigh of relief.

When midnight came, he snuck out and kept to the shadows of the halls and made his way to the boiler room in one of the basements. There he was greeted by a pair of bloodthirsty red eyes and a pair of hair-raising fangs that flashed as soon as Mathian appeared.

"No need for the theatrics," Mathian commented briefly from a safe distance. The vampire whom he'd contacted was clad in all black, even his nails were painted black and he wore eyeliner. He was a head taller than Mathian but a bit lanky and wobbly. He stood leaning against the wall, with his hands in his pockets, sizing the witch up while licking his fangs.

"Well, well, I thought you'd forgotten about me. Don't tell me werewolves make for better company," he said in a husky tone of voice, shaking his head.

"Do you have it?" Mathian wanted to waste no time on petty chit-chat.

"Can you afford it?" The vampire asked with a hint of a devilish smirk, taking out a palm-sized vial from his pocket. Mathian's heartbeat quickened and he took a reckless step forward. The vampire shimmered before him instantly and was now only inches away, breathing down on him. "Now, now, you know how it goes," the man caressed Mathian's cheek, tucking a few stray wisps of hair behind the witch's ear as his fingers slithered down to his neck, gently searching for a vein or two he could prick. Mathian quickly grabbed his hand and pulled it down, puckering his lips. "Money or blood." The vampire smiled ominosously.

"Money, soon, I promise," Mathian replied sternly, although there was fear in the tone of his voice.

"How soon?"

"By the end of the week," he assured him, pulling away.

"Alright." The vampire agreed, adding, "If you can't make it, blood it shall be."

The end of the weak was drawing near and Mathian had to find a way to make money fast. The contents of the vial he had been given brought back his magic, albeit the source of it was another witch, who exactly he knew not and did not care to ask. All he cared about was making sure the vampire wouldn't have the chance to sink his teeth into him ever again. The man had no restraints whatsoever and his embrace was often deadly.

He was roaming the halls aimlessly when he overheard there was going to be a major turnout at a fighting pit tonight and the prize was a whole lotta cash. The only problem was that only werewolves were allowed to participate. It was a good thing he happened to know one. He hurried towards Theo's room and knocked on his door excitedly, ready to coax him into throwing a few punches in the ring.

Member of the Month!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Theo sat on his bed, resting his arms on his knees as he stared down at the picture in his hand. His eyes wandered over the girl's face, her long, wavy auburn hair and bright smile. How many years had it been now? How much had that childish face changed? What was happening in her life? Did she find a career she liked, was she dating someone, getting married? Did she ever think of him? All these questions that he'd likely never find out the answers to...

A heavy sigh deflated his chest and he raked a hand through his long hair before putting the picture down on his nightstand. Theo stood, wandering over to the one window in his room. It was still light out, yet he could see the faint outline of the moon in the blue sky, like an ominous reminder forever hanging over his head. It was a waxing gibbous now... nearly full. Theo dropped his gaze as he held out a hand. He could feel it pulling at the blood in his veins, making him feel anxious and yet frenzied at the same time.

Theo then closed his hand into a fist, just moments before he heard a knocking at his door. He looked up sharply, frowning as he immediately wondered who the hell could be at his door. But it couldn't be-... Could it? Theo curiously crossed the room, deciding there was only one way to find out. It seemed his suspicion was correct as he was met with a pair of cold grey eyes that were becoming painfully familiar. Though the werewolf didn't seem all that thrilled to find Mathian at his door. "What is it?" He asked bluntly. He'd better not have another half-assed mission for them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

"Well aren't you happy to see me," he blurted out, bobbing his head to the side and giving him a once-over. Mathian had a hunch that Theo was avoiding him all week. Sometimes he would see glimpses of him in the hallways, but he was always quick to disappear. It wasn't like Mathian was keen on seeing him either, but it did make him wonder if their partnership was on unsteady waters. Theo seemed healthy and rested, and albeit he didn't dwell on it, he was glad he hadn't killed him. He wasn't expecting to be invited in either, though he wondered what a wolf den looked like.

"Anyway, the wolves are going at it tonight at the fighting pits," he paused, thinking over the incentives he was planning to offer Theo so he'd get worked up. Money was always the greatest motivator, but so was wounded pride. "The prize is, well, tempting, lots of money, and since I can't take part in it, you are the next best thing." Sometimes, he'd make it difficult for others to notice where a compliment finished and an insult started, especially because he would always hold onto a straight face. "There's also been talk about your skills, or lack thereof," he said in an undertone, "their words, not mine." He added with a hint of a smirk. "I'm sure those thugs at the alley have something to do with that." He clicked his tongue, annoyed with the memory of them. Of course, Mathian wasn't going to give Theo any room to refuse.

Pulling out a crinkled piece of paper from his pocket, he said, "And just in case you're thinking about saying no, I've already signed you up." He handed the already filled and signed form to Theo and hoped he wasn't gonna get punched in the face right about now.

Member of the Month!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Theo stared at him with a deadpan look, as if waiting for him to get to the point of his visit, which was emphasized by the way the werewolf crossed his arms over his chest, leaning against his door frame. His brow raised slowly as Mathian went on, highly suspicious of where this was going. Sure, the money was always tempting and they hadn't gotten a dime for the past two missions, a fact that Theo was still quite salty about, (especially since the last one had almost killed him... three times) But he definitely had his reservations about returning to the pits. It was one of the darker points of his life and he didn't like being reminded of it.

The werewolf then tiled his head, staring the witch down with a skeptical look on his face. "Is that so?" He murmured simply, as if he couldn't care less about rumors. If there were any. He had the sneaking suspicion that Mathian was just making shit up, just so he might go along with whatever harebrained scheme he was cooking up now. Though jugding by the dull expression on Theo's face, it wasn't working. "Oh well." He said bluntly with a dismissive shrug, about to turn back into his room and shut the door in the warlock's face, when Mathian suddenly whipped out a piece of paper.

Once he explained exactly what the piece of paper was, Theo's face fell. His arms dropped from his chest and he gripped the door frame with one hand, looking away. His whole body gave a little tremor. "Mathian... I hope you appreciate that it is taking every ounce of my self control... to keep myself from choking the life out of you." He spoke slowly, his voice low. Theo closed his eyes for a moment, taking purposefully slow, deep breaths, before his eyes suddenly snapped up to Mathian. In the blink of an eye, he violently snatched the paper from him, looking it over. The warlock had really put him in a predicament. While the 'talk' about his lack of strength were most likely made up, if he were to dodge something like this, then there was definitely going to be talk. And it was going to be a lot less tame than his 'lack of skills'.

"Ugh, Fine! Let's fucking do this then!" He exclaimed suddenly, tossing the paper in Mathian's general direction, going back into his room to get a change of clothes. He would probably need it. He didn't stop Mathian from coming in his room if he wished. It was shockingly plain, shades of sage and dark green, and grey, with no real sign of personal items anywhere. Except for the mural of the pine forest. Though Theo paused to quickly shove the photo on his nightstand in a drawer before picking out another pair of jeans and a black T-shirt. He glanced back at the warlock over his shoulder. "You're not going to like... bet against me, are you?" He asked with a raised brow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mathian forced a terse, sour smile and tensed up when Theo went from being inelegantly insouciant to entirely pissed off in seconds. It surprised him when the wolf lunged for the piece of paper so suddenly instead of aiming for his throat, though he couldn't allow himself to flinch. "Yes, much appreciated," he said in a low tone of voice, narrowing his eyes to show displeasure. His mood changed quickly, however, when the wolf reluctantly agreed to tear into another wolf for money. Although he'd called it barbaric many times, Mathian did enjoy the sight of two riled up men, all bloody and bruised, trying to hack each other's limbs off for sheer entertainment. There was just something thrilling about it.

He relaxed and fashioned a smug smile, leaning against the doorframe as the wolf ventured back inside to do whatever he needed to do to prepare. Mathian was also excited to see what Theo was actually made of, though he wasn't entirely sure he'd win. The pits always had their unbeatable champions, but betting on an outsider always yielded out a lot of money to the spectators, leaving the bookies quite unhappy.

He gave Theo's room a once-over from where he stood, though he paid the lack of decor no mind. He folded his arms on his chest and snickered at Theo's question, "If I did, would you fight harder to prove me wrong?" he asked in a humorous voice, adding, sounding more serious, "Would you choke the life out of them?" an unnerving light flickered in his cold, grey eyes there and then as he stared at the wolf.

He moved away from the door and stepped in, closing the distance between them, all the while not breaking eye contact. "I could help you, but I'd probably have my face bashed in for cheating," he said, clasping his hands in front of him, and as they glowed a faint yellow, he pulled them apart, creating a portal behind Theo. "You're on your own," he said without any emotion, adding, "Ready?"
    Last edited by Lyra; 05-24-2019 at 07:01 PM.

Member of the Month!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Theo just deadpan stared at the warlock for a purposefully uncomfortable amount of time before he flashed with a brief smirk, his own cedar eyes flickering with an almost feral glimmer. Perhaps in a way, Mathian had picked the best time, while he was caught up in this anxious sort of mood. With the full moon so close, this was sure to be one hell of a night in the pits.

His expression immediately turned deadly serious, however, the moment Mathian suggested aiding him with magic. Theo shook his head. "No, it'd be much worse than that, I assure you." He said darkly. He watched the glow of Mathian's hands curiously, then turned to look at the portal that had formed behind him with a scowl. There was a pause at Mathian's question. Was he really going to do this? But then again, thanks to his asshat of a partner, he wasn't really left with much of a choice but to come out the victor. The werewolf's jaw visibly tensed before he gave a curt nod and stepped through the portal, bag in hand.

Once in an alley just outside of the sewers, Theo put a hand to the brick wall, sucking in a few breaths to calm his stomach. But you know what? After that deconstruction spell, Theo decided he really didn't mind portals so much anymore. He glanced back at the warlock and started out onto the street, making his way to the sewers with a hard gaze ahead. "Stay close to me. Especially when I'm in the pit, don't go anywhere where I can't see you. And if it is at all possible, keep your fucking mouth shut for once, yeah?" With that last part, Theo shot Mathian a stern look. Though he was highly skeptical that Mathian would ever be capable of such a thing.

As they neared the entrance, they could already hear the faint sounds of cheering and vicious snarls echoing from the tunnels. There were a few groups of werewolves hanging around outside, staring them both down like pieces of meat as Theo and the witch came to the the two very large and scarred werewolves that were, for all intents and purposes, bouncers for the pits. The wolves checked them both for any weapons or silver but Mathian was under much higher scrutiny as a witch and the werewolves were none too gentle as they patted him down. But they were allowed in without any conflict thankfully.

Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 1112131415 ... LastLast