Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: [M] Once Cursed, Twice Damned {Lyra & Midori-Hime}}

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy, sci-fi, medieval, adventure, tragicomedy, steampunk;
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Matty had barely noticed that he had been clutching the box like his life depended on it, until Theo mentioned it. His long, slim fingers began to ache as soon as he relaxed. That was strange. He did feel excited, but it was growing into ardour and that was slightly out of character for him. He cleared his throat, said nothing, and placed the box inside his backpack just as the bus was pulling in. There weren't many passengers at the bus stop or inside, but many would board on their way to the city of Crasmere, north of Lhanbryde. The passengers were always both normal and magical but always full of crazy people.

Matty opted not to sit, because he'd surely be forced to give it up to an elderly person or a nagging parent with a crying child. He moved to lean onto one of the poles by the window, placing his backpack between his feet. He didn't know the precise location of the lake, only that it was around those parts, so he figured they'd ask for directions once the bus had pulled in at Lhanbryde.

"A few stops give or take, they say the place is pretty spooky, high up too, so it can get quite chilly at night." He'd been there once before, with his older brother, when he was still alive. They went fishing together, hoping to catch some kind of monster fish or even a mermaid. The locals always claimed the lake was actually bottomless and that if one were to swim all the way down, they would actually surface in another world. Some had tried, some had died.

Two stops later and the bus was getting crowded. The seats were all filled, so now the passengers had to squeeze in, pushing against each other. Matty didn't like enclosed spaces; he wasn't claustrophobic, but he was getting there. He tried to open the window but it was jammed. He kept trying as he spoke, "I don't know how we're gonna find the castle, though. I've never heard of one there. But the mountains are a good place to hide one,"

Member of the Month!
    Fantasy, Historical, Romance, Horror, Adventure
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Theo was a bit relieved to see Matty finally place the box in his backpack. Partly because the creepy box was out of sight and partly because Mathian seemed to be freakishly fond of that thing. He couldn't help but wonder what was in this box that was so important. At least, it better be something important... He thought as more people boarded the bus, pressing up against him and thus pressing him closer to Mathian.

"Oh great... What could go wrong taking a creepy box to an even creepier castle in the mountains?" He grumbled. "Why the hell did they pick us for this mission anyway?" Though if Theo thought about it, they were the most logical pair. Of course... he also wasn't aware of the fact that they weren't exactly chosen for this mission.

Seeing Mathian struggle to open the window, he shuffled a bit closer, his broad chest pressing to the warlock's back as he tried to manhandle the window. With one good wack with the heel of his hand, the window suddenly squeaked open a good bit. "There..." He murmured trying to back off of Mathian a bit. However, the bus made a sudden turn that causing a wave of people to fall into him. His eyes widened, managing to catch his hands on the wall on either side of Mathian's head, bracing himself so he didn't squash the witch. "Jesus..." He hissed. "Our stop better be coming up soon, or people better be getting off..." He murmured, his arms almost protectively caging the smaller man in.

Thankfully a bunch of passengers got off at the next stop and Theo was finally able to take a few steps back from Matty, letting them both get a breath. With in the next two stops, nearly all the remaining passengers got off the bus, leaving only Mathian, Theo, and two others remaining. Finally the bus stopped at Lhanbryde and Theo gave Mathian a look. "This it?" He asked before moving to get off of the bus.

"If you could only see the beast you've made of me
    I held it in but now it seems you've set it running free
    Screaming in the dark, I howl when we're apart
    Drag my teeth across your chest to taste your beating heart

My fingers claw your skin, try to tear my way in
    You are the moon that breaks the night for which I have to howl"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Matty chose not to disclose anything concerning how their handler had no idea where they were off to or that the mission was picked singlehandedly by the wolf's truly. He figured Theo wasn't going to like it, but he was to find out eventually and it would be too late. He spoke nothing about that; instead he focused on trying to pry one of the windows open. Thankfully, Theo was there to make up for the overall lack in physical prowess in their partnership, on Matty's side. The fact the wolf could open it at the swish of a hand felt like a slap to his ego, but there wasn't much Matty could do. At least he could pride himself on knowing how to throw a punch or two and kick like his life depended on it and it usually did.

Suddenly, though, the makings of one claustrophobic witch began. People started squeezing for room, the driver was steering the bus recklessly into curves, and Theo and Matty were being jammed into a corner like a pair of sardines. The only bit of air streaming in was from the window and Matty craned his neck as much as he could to catch a whiff of it, panting slightly, his lips quivering. Alas, that wasn't the worst of it. He felt the towering pressure of Theo's wolfish presence and thus grew his unease. They weren't so far apart in height, but the position they had found themselves in certainly seemed, at least to Matty, that he could benefit to grow an inch or two, for the body pressing against his was a mass of heat and muscle, and although it hinted at safety, Matty only wished for it to move away.

Luckily, it did, and the witch could breathe freely again. He moved away slightly, not too far so it wouldn't be awkward. He gripped the backpack tightly, only now wrapping his thoughts around it and focusing on the mission. Eventually, only four people occupied the bus, the driver excluded. The other pair was a tad bit strange-looking, they resembled a pair of merchants with nomadic tribe-clothes, swarthy at the skin, but draped in colors. They were silent all the way to Lhanbryde. Matty found himself staring a bit, without them noticing, and for a split second, he thought he had seen a shadowy figure sitting behind them, but the more he looked, the more it faded away. He deemed it odd, but didn't make much of it and soon enough, they reached their destination. He nodded at Theo, hopping off the bus onto the sandy, pebbled road.

Up in front, there was nothing but shrubbery, but as the eye looked further, shrubs turned into trees and tattered rooftops could be seen among the foliage, which was a shade of dull green-ish. There was nothing colorful about the place, it was dreary, the sky was overcast and grey and the mountains in the north, like towering giants rose as spikes to cause a rift in the skies. The lake could not be seen, but it could be smelled, for even though it was a lake, its waters were salty.

"As depressing as I remember it," Matty commented, looking up at the sky. It was late afternoon, but the sun, although unseen, was still there. "Can you smell it?" He asked, referring to the lake. "They say there are mermaids there," he spoke in an undertone.

The bus left soon after, carrying off the remaining two passengers. Matty's eyes followed it until it disappeared behind an outcrop of rocks and trees, but he could not see the shadowy figure inside.

"Let's go, there's a beaten path over there. Places like this one still have inns, we can inquire there," he started off, surefooted, his heart thumping faster.
    Last edited by Lyra; 01-03-2019 at 11:37 PM.

Member of the Month!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

The moment they stepped off the bus, Theo immediately sucked in a heavy breath of relief, only to be met with the thick scent of the dense, mossy forest and brine. Which a moment later Mathian confirmed was the scent of the lake. His amber gaze followed his to the overcast sky and his lips fell into a slight frown. "Ah, so you've been here before..." He realized and then quietly added, "Why am I not surprised."

Though the warlock wasn't going to hear any protesting from him as he suggested they get a move on. "I'm surprised anyone actually lives here at all." He muttered, surprised to hear that there was actually an inn. "Can't imagine they get good business." Theo's eyes searched the trees as Mathian eagerly lead them down the path. It was definitely dreary and Theo had to wonder how often this place actually got any sun. He could picture it as the sort of place was forever suspended in these dismal, hazy clouds, never to see sunlight again.

Suddenly he wondered about the kind of people that chose to live here and shuddered at the thought. Even the air here seemed off and Theo couldn't shake this strange feeling in his gut, making the hairs on the back of his neck stand permanently on end. Though as they walked, he could hear the way Mathian's heart quickened and he had to wonder if the warlock had the same feeling, or if it was something else. But the werewolf kept it to himself for now, simply following along in silence.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As they wended their way through the trees and past rusty, old streets signs pointing the way, Matty thought back to the time he'd visited this place before. There was nothing special about it, as far as he could remember, only that the townsfolk were cashing in on the legends surrounding the lake. The time he's spent there was brief but it meant the world to him. He was fond of his brother, who was no saint but he was there when it mattered. The thought of him made him uneasy, so he pushed it back, concentrating on the box.

The desire to take a peek and uncover its secrets was slowly growing from a smolder to a blaze. He was aware of it now, trying not to let his emotions take over. It must have been bewitched, he thought, intrigued even more. He threw a sneaky glance at Theo, he was surely unaffected. He wanted to tell him, but he couldn't, part of it was pride, part of it was the spell. He pressed on then, surefooted in his stride as the first house popped up. It was old but somehow tacky with a bent fence and a dog chained up on the front lawn. It started barking as soon as it saw them, drawing the attention of a few old people lolling around in their rocking chairs, obviously suspicious of foreigners, eyeing them up.

The path unfolded into a cobbled road, their main street, lit up by occasional street lamps with flickering lights. They passed a post office and a few shops on their way to the inn, now known as a hostel. Few people were out and about and after giving the two shifty looks, they would disappear into dark alleys. The air grew colder the more they pressed on, and a slight mist was forming above the ground. It was definitely creepy, but somewhat alluring. The sun had almost entirely disappeared, the sound of the dog barking was fading, and the signboard 'Ailee's Hostel' was coming into view.

Matty cracked a smile, "there it is," he said in a chipper tone of voice. He turned to Theo, saying, "let me do the talking, you just do some scary, wolfish staring and intimidate," he was getting used to whipping out orders and he liked it. He pushed the door open and found it empty. He walked over to the counter, rang the bell and waited until a tall man with a beer belly and in much need of a shave walked in from the back room, a broom in his hand and a surprised look on his face.

"I take it you don't get many customers," there was a charming air about Matty as he spoke, much unlike his usual self. He tilted his head sideways, sneaking a hand into his inside coat pocket and taking out a small bag of what looked like dust.

The man's surprise turned into a light frown as he replied, "once a year, someone always stumbles in. What can I do you for?" he approached the counter and rested his elbows on it, staring down at Matty. Matty returned the stare and never broke contact, not even to blink. That was how he worked his magic. There was a minute of awkward silence before Matty slowly blew dust into the man's face, moving his lips silently until the man's eyes glazed over and his face became expressionless.

"We'd like a room, separate beds, free of charge," another minute of awkward silence followed. Matty thought the spell wasn't working but luckily, the man pulled out a key and complied.

"Up the stairs, second to the left, sir. Enjoy your stay," the man said in a calm, pleasant voice. Matty pulled out a grin and added,

"Oh and, we're taking donations, so if you've any to spare," he reached out with his hand as the man fished out a twenty from his pocket. That worked too! He was on fire. "Now, go to your bed and sleep till tomorrow," the man did as he was told and Matty turned to Theo, gesturing towards the stairs.

"Ladies first," his lips curled into a smirk.

Member of the Month!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

It was a shame. This place really could have been something picturesque if it wasn't for this horribly dreary atmosphere that overshadowed the very landscape. He wondered what was responsible for turning what could have been a very lovely lakeside town into... this. Or had it always been like this? Theo's pondering continued as they followed the cobble stone road as the main drag of the town.

Even in deep thought, Theo keep his eyes on their surroundings. Especially the people, who seemed none too welcoming. Not that he could blame them, he supposed. The towns people had probably seen thier fair share of the supernatural... and not for the better. "Mmm, such a warm, welcoming bunch." He murmured to Mathian sarcastically.

As the sun was beginning to disappear behind the mountains, the place only grew more eerie and suddenly Theo was eager to find this inn. He wouldn't be the least bit surpised to learn that Lhanbryde was the origin of a few ghost stories. Theo wasn't one to be easily spooked, but God damn did he hate the idea of ghosts and malevolent spirits. He couldn't say for sure that those things existed, but he sure as hell wasn't willing to find out.

Theo snapped out of his reverie when Mathian suddenly chimed in, turning his gaze to 'Ailee's Hostel'. "Yeah, sure..." Theo muttered, less than amused. Following the warlock inside, Theo glanced around the empty hostel. Well at least they wouldn't have anyone bothering them. As Mathian suggested, Theo stay quiet, his arms simply crossed over his chest as he let Mathian smooth talk the inn keeper. Or rather... bewitch the inn keeper.

Seeing Mathian's hand slip into his pocket, Theo raised a brow, watching the witch closely. His lips then pulled into a deep frown as his partner worked his magic. It was both mesmorizing and disturbing. To gain control over someone that easily... What else was Mathian capable of? Theo clicked his tongue and turned away as Mathian even managed to weasel some cash from the man's pocket.

By the werewolf's piercing gaze, he was less than amused, starting up the stairs ahead of Mathian. He didn't speak until they reached the second door, waiting for the warlock to unlock it. "I'm warning you now..." He hissed lowly, just loud enough for Mathian to hear. "If you ever try that on me, you better pray to whatever God you believe in that I don't find out about it." And with that he brushed past him into the room to dumb his bag on the bed closest to the door.
    Last edited by Midori-Hime; 01-21-2019 at 06:26 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

With a single twist, the door opened to a modest-sized, sparsely furnished room with two beds side by side, a night table, a lampshade, and a cabinet. The bed linen looked timeworn, the pillows squared rocks stuffed in cases, and the mattresses overall dented. Opposite the door was a curtained window capturing the view of the lake. There wasn't much elbow room but it was enough for one night's sleep. Matty sauntered in and claimed the remaining bed, slumping the backpack by the night table. A devilish smirk graced his lips, though he tried to hide it. The charm was useless against werewolves, it only worked on humans, but Matty wasn't going to give Theo the pleasure of knowing that.

"How do you know I haven't already?" he spoke in a cheeky tone of voice, taking off his coat and kicking off his shoes to sit on the edge of the bed. He took the box out and the crackers, placed them in his lap and turned around to face Theo, legs folded. He began inspecting the box, tracing its exterior gently with the tips of his fingers, hoping to find a secret code or a special lock, anything to indicate how to dispel its charms, meanwhile stuffing himself on the crackers and speaking in-between, taunting him. "You do seem to follow my every bid, I'd think it through if I were you," he tapped his temple with his index finger twice, staring right at him.

At the same time, he stumbled upon a tiny pressure plate on the bottom of the box, which opened the first tier of the lid, steam coming out of the cracks. He gazed upon it in wonder, his heart thumping faster, his teeth biting on his lower lip and sucking on it. He inspected it more closely and in doing so he found an inscription O se kwe pe se. It was a language he had never seen before and in his attempt to read it out loud, he pronounced each word differently. Luckily, nothing happened.

"Do I look cursed to you? Genuine question," he asked the wolf.

Member of the Month!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

At that, Theo turned sharply, glaring daggers at the warlock. Don't let him get under your skin, he reminded himself. Mathian was only trying to fuck with him, again. He would know if the witch had used a spell like that on him... I would, right? Theo turned his back to the warlock then, not wanting him to see the hesitant look on his face as he tried to recall all of their interactions, making sure everything added up. He wanted to believe that he would never succumb to charm like that so easily, but he also didn't want to be caught underestimating the witch's power. Nor the joy he seemed to derive from screwing with people's heads.

Theo continued to ignore the warlock, kicking off his boots and digging through his bag when he heard Mathian's comment. He looked back at him over his shoulder then, meeting the warlock's gaze with narrowed eyes. Though before he could tell Mathian off, the werewolf's eyes dropped to the strange box in his lap. "Hey, don't fuck with that thi-" He started to say, turning towards Mathian, when the lid of the box opened like some sort of clique treasure box. He could hear Mathian's heart quicken, echoing his own as he watched warily. Amber eyes flickered between the box and Mathian's lips as he read the inscription, not realizing he'd been holding his breath until he was sure nothing would come from it.

"Cursed?" Theo repeated, finally drawing his gaze away from the box to meet the warlock's eyes. "What are you talking about? Guilty conscious?" He asked, raising a brow. "Or do you mean because you stupidly opened this thing? Because if that's the case, I'm probably screwed too... for just being present. And if so, you won't have to worry about some curse, 'cause I'll kill ya." He grumbled, trying to lighten the mood mostly for himself.

"Seriously though... You've been acting weird ever since we got this mission. I mean... more than usual." He commented, still eyeing the warlock and the box warily. "The way you keep looking at it, always holding it... Like you're possessed." Suddenly Theo stood, grabbing the box and yanking it from Mathian's grasp. "Just give it a rest already. What if the mission gets compromised because you damaged the contents?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

He took Theo's threats lightly but his thoughts true. The box was affecting him, to what degree he couldn't say, but he had a feeling he might find out pretty soon. The wolf, on the other hand, wasn't quite as smitten by the box... perhaps it was because witches were more akin to humans than werewolves were. And then there was the issue with how the box came to them. Had it chosen them? Or rather Matty? He pondered, a serious expression on his face. Perhaps this was as good a time as any to let Theo know but all the witch did was argue against the wolf's claims, folding his arms on his chest,

"I'm not possessed," he spoke in an undertone, wishing it were true. How embarrassing that would be, a witch getting tricked into possession. Such a rookie move, he thought. The Brummits would all be laughing right now if they knew. He was going to speak some more, protest even, but Theo caught him by surprise and yanked the box away, to which Matty responded reflexively, reaching for the box and grabbing it in a stalemate, shooting daggers out of his narrowed, unnerving eyes. Matty's face contorted into a frightening grimace, his body heat rose drastically, moments from bursting into flames. The air around them turned sinister for a moment, as if telling Theo to back off if he wished to keep his limbs attached to his body. Fortunately enough, he was still sane of mind and it took him a second or two to recover, the grimace fading, slowly being replaced by an apologetic expression. His eyes mellowed, his grip loosened and his body heat returned to normal.

Shit, he thought to himself. He was about to lose it. He looked at the box and instantly moved away to the other end of the bed.

"I didn't mean to," he truly did not. Surprisingly enough, the fact that he could have hurt Theo bothered him more than the fact that he got screwed over big time by whatever magic was in the box. He breathed shallow breaths and his heart raced a marathon. "I think it's best we put it away somewhere," he suggested, trying to compose himself. "Maybe you should carry it..." He was having a hard time looking Theo in the eyes. For now, he thought it best to avoid his stare. "Might as well sleep it off." He thought about saying sorry but swallowing hot rocks would be easier to do.

Member of the Month!
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Theo hadn't realized how true his own words had been until the moment Mathian grasped at the box, looking ready to kill him over it. It was shocking to see such a fierce look in the witch's eyes and while Theo's instincts were to shy away from the fiery heat radiating from Mathian's body, he stood his ground. He was more concerned for what might happen to Mathian if he let him have it, than what Mathian might try to do to him if he didn't...

But just as quickly as it had come on, Mathian seemed to come back to his senses, his eyes softening and the ferocious heat fading. "Jesus..." Theo breathed and then stood there speechless, still keeping his hold on the box even as Mathian retreated. It seemed this was much more serious that he'd first thought.

Even if the warlock wasn't about to apologize for his outburst, Theo could see the regret in his eyes. Not that he was upset by Matty's behavior, but now even more so than before, Theo was worried about him. Whatever sort of power this box held... It wasn't good for him. Finally Theo cleared his throat, hesitantly moving to sit down on his chosen bed. "Yeah... I think so." He agreed, taking the box and tucking it down underneath his bed, the farthest he could get it away from Mathian. And at least it would give him the chance to stop the warlock, should he attempt to go for it again. "Yeah, right. The sooner we get to sleep, the sooner we can search out this castle and get rid of this damn box..." He murmured sternly, but then glanced Mathian's way with a sympathetic look. The warlock still wouldn't look him in the eyes.

Theo decided to sleep in his clothes, too unnerved by everything that had just happened and this place to get comfortable. He'd rather be able to spring out of bed in a moments notice, should anything else happen. Once under the covers, Theo turned over in his lumpy bed so his back faced Mathian, hoping to give them both a piece of mind. It wasn't easy to fall asleep when he was so on edge, but eventually his exhaustion took over and he passed out.

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast