Page 32 of 65 FirstFirst ... 3031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: Ground War - recruitment and OOC

June MotM 2014
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Sci-fi
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaintSerf View Post
    We have access to white phosphorus equivalents, you say?

*flashbacks to Spec Ops: The Line*

Oh my, this gives me a horrible yet completely appropriate idea for Crenshaw...
    Not that kind of white phosphorus, these are smoke shells. Still incredibly poisonous in concentration but not to the point where it will burn flesh. An Imperial version could be more effective considering they wouldn’t hesitate to use chemical warfare. It would probably be reasonable to assume we have actual white phosphorus munitions as well.

Willy P was used pretty universally in WW2. From shells to infantry grenades. It was very effective at creating “instant” smoke screens. They either just didn’t know any better or lacked a suitable replacement. Much like asbestos in the construction industry.

I think I’ve given you too many ideas recently. Lol.
    Last edited by Jarms48; 09-13-2019 at 08:02 AM.

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jarms48 View Post
    Not that kind of white phosphorus, these are smoke shells. Still incredibly poisonous in concentration but not to the point where it will burn flesh. An Imperial version could be more effective considering they wouldn’t hesitate to use chemical warfare. It would probably be reasonable to assume we have actual white phosphorus munitions as well.
    If we're mirroring a modern-day arsenal, they'll have two types of WP artillery shells:

Contact burst - makes a tall plume of smoke and spreads flakes of phosphorus everywhere, which will set fire to things and (literally) burn holes in people. Used as a marker and / or to flush enemies from cover, and so is often the first shot fired before a barrage of HE. Can be used for smoke cover in a pinch, but because it burns hot the smoke tends to rise rather than spread. They're not supposed to be used in urban areas so as not to set civilian buildings (and civilians) on fire, but I doubt the Imperium gives a damn about such things. As you say they are toxic, but primarily from burn victims getting pieces of phosphorus embedded in them rather than from smoke inhalation. Artillery and mortars will have these shells, and I gave Kimmie some WP rifle grenades in Shades of Grey. The Imperium also has something that modern militaries don't: a tank-fired version ("infernus" rounds), which from the description sometimes use contact-burst WP (others use thermite or napalm).

Airburst - disperses phosphor-soaked scraps of felt, resulting in a much broader smoke cloud. The cooler burn also means it stays around near the ground longer (5 to 15 minutes, wind dependent). Exclusively used for smoke cover (fouls visual and thermal targeting). Not really toxic, beyond the effects you'd expect from breathing in hot smoke - in practice the cloud would be gone or people will have escaped the area before they get a harmful dose of phosphates (they might die from oxygen depletion if the smoke burned off in a confined space, but that's more likely from a contact burst than an air burst). Artillery and mortars will have access to this, and vehicle launchers / handheld smoke grenades would be something similar. Again, Imperial tanks also have a shell that can produce this effect.

Also, @Atrum Daemon; what's Reichenbach and Valkyr's verdict on the battle plan?
    Last edited by Azazeal849; 09-13-2019 at 06:00 PM.
    Spoiler: My RP links 

PM me for novelised versions of any of my RPs, or ones that I have participated in. Set by the awesome Karma.

Sanity's Eclipse
    Fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

You won’t find any objections from either of them. Reads as a solid use of the APCs likely moving up in some variation of an armored fist formation to take and hold whatever positions needed along the route including those the warmaster would rather see undamaged. Besides, Krieg has replacements practically waiting in the wings.
    Hit me up on discord: Mags#3126
    I'm just easier to get a hold of there. Just lemme know who you are

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Out of curiosity, will the Havenites remain with the frateris at the railhead?

And shall we continue the tactical discussion in the IC, my fellow officers?

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

The Havenites are digging in, aye.

PM me for novelised versions of any of my RPs, or ones that I have participated in. Set by the awesome Karma.

June MotM 2014
    Sci-fi
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azazeal849 View Post
    “It’s time to get the pioneer tools boys and girls! Now engineers, eyes and ears.” - Captain Antheia, probably.

Quote Originally Posted by PaintSerf View Post
    And shall we continue the tactical discussion in the IC, my fellow officers?
    Yes please. I'll get Antheia over there, she'd love to have her 2 cents.
    Last edited by Jarms48; 09-15-2019 at 09:59 AM.

Sanity's Eclipse
    Fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

Mines? No problem!
    Hit me up on discord: Mags#3126
    I'm just easier to get a hold of there. Just lemme know who you are

June MotM 2014
    Sci-fi
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Atrum Daemon View Post
    The Sherman Crab Frail was incredibly effective. If you want some inspiration for something even less user friendly (but just as effective) there's the Matilda II Scorpion. Which was very similar to the crab flail, except it required an auxilery generator attached to the side of the tank. This generator even required a man to operate. The poor guy had to climb into the armoured housing, which was incredibly cramped, hot and noisy. Made worse by the fact it was primarily used in the deserts of North Africa.
    Last edited by Jarms48; 09-15-2019 at 01:43 PM.

Willshaper
    Semi realistic, and fantasy, with a pinch of Sci Fi
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Or you can just get a Churchill AVRE to roll over them then trash can whatever building you need removed ASAP.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Azazeal849 View Post
    Double Post because I can.

This is going to get fun. Is there anywhere I can slap the Baneblade turret?

"Life before death,
    Strength before weakness,
    Journey before destination."
    -The First Ideal

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

Get creative. If you describe the defences to me I’ll be able to add something in the IC about them defending the other players’ flank while they storm the starport.

Page 32 of 65 FirstFirst ... 3031323334 ... LastLast