Page 38 of 65 FirstFirst ... 3637383940 ... LastLast

Thread: Ground War - recruitment and OOC

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cfavano View Post
    they can be armored heavy weapons mounts, such s for mortars, or can also provide mobile barricades as well line them up and shore up some defense.
    I would think some purloined heavy civilian vehicles (40k equivalents of armored bank transporters, dump and garbage trucks, etc) which have been armored - not Guard standard, cos frateris, but certainly an issue for unprepared infantry.

However, I would have to wonder if the militia would need to be reclassified as mechanized if they're rolling with war wagons, killdozers, and technicals.

Willshaper
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Semi realistic, and fantasy, with a pinch of Sci Fi
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Probably motorized, not mechanized. Wheeled vehicles specifically. Haven is a true mechanized infantry unit with heavy IFV usage and the occasional tank, though not in the three companies sent over, they're more like Panzergrenadiers in how they operate.

"Life before death,
    Strength before weakness,
    Journey before destination."
    -The First Ideal

RPA Honor Guard
    Sci-fi, Fantasy, Mature
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)

i mean they have no dedicated transports, no chimers. yeah modified civvvie vehicles. some added plating here and there

i dont think they can be reclassified as the classification of guard regiments falls under the purview of the Adeptus Munitorium, which they do not fall under

Spoiler: Things I like 

June MotM 2014
    Sci-fi
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaintSerf View Post
    The Ad Mech can now get in on the equine action as well!

I had considered whether the Minor's would have heavier weapons drawn by caissons...however I'm inclined to believe they'd forgo them for more special weapons and lighter, trooper mobile missile launchers and heavy stubbers.

It may also be that the Patriots would rather those field grade heavy weapons used in line regiments on the front, rather than a relatively green horse mounted regiment tasked with constabulary duties on Marioch.
    Personally that seems a bit backwards for the Ad-Mech. I would have preferred some updates Roughrider models and rules. IE: Being able to have multiple lances, having 2 wounds or 4 toughness (representing the horses), maybe even the potential to upgrade to motorbikes.

I do agree with you on the Minors, mounted melta-guns, dismounted heavy stubbers and missile launchers seems more appropriate for them. If you really wanted some heavy weapon teams you could have horse drawn autocannons and lascannons.

https://i.imgur.com/GSbaj2L.jpg

That way you still have heavier equipment being able to keep up with the infantry. I would also assume that most of the time they would be trained to ride to a location / objective dismount and fight as infantry. With proper cavalry charges being rarer only used when the tactical situation arises or out of sheer desperation.

they can be armored heavy weapons mounts, such s for mortars, or can also provide mobile barricades as well line them up and shore up some defense.
    I just had the sudden thought of the US pioneers forming wagon circles. Which could be effective against cavalry, but not much else.

Quote Originally Posted by PaintSerf View Post
    However, I would have to wonder if the militia would need to be reclassified as mechanized if they're rolling with war wagons, killdozers, and technicals.
    Looted tractors and dozers uparmoured to withstand small arms and armed with autocannons would be hilarious. Appropriate for the RP? Not sure, but definitely tying in some real world Soviet desperation and the ad-hoc vehicles they created.
    Last edited by Jarms48; 01-28-2020 at 05:17 AM.

RPA Honor Guard
    Sci-fi, Fantasy, Mature
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)

i had considered making a force of mounted crusaders as a fast attack option for my militia.

I'm surprised there isn't one canonically already. power lances on attack bikes

Willshaper
    Semi realistic, and fantasy, with a pinch of Sci Fi
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Looted tractors sounds like an up gunned bob semple. Which is both sad and hilarious

"Life before death,
    Strength before weakness,
    Journey before destination."
    -The First Ideal

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

i mean they have no dedicated transports, no chimers. yeah modified civvvie vehicles. some added plating here and there

i dont think they can be reclassified as the classification of guard regiments falls under the purview of the Adeptus Munitorium, which they do not fall under
    I meant reclassification in terms of the RP – with the implied amount of vehicles you’re talking about (enough to build mobile barricades, like the war wagons of old, with 40k grade heavy weapons) being brought directly into combat to deliver your forces (like a dedicated transport, one could say…) and even if they’re not Guard quality (which they shouldn’t be, or else that’s a conversation with the Munitorium, Ministorum and Inquisition) that’s not a strictly foot infantry company anymore, and would suffer alongside the Haven, Krieg and Cadian units in the event of a fuel shortage on another world.

That was also my thinking for calling the frateris as ‘mechanized’ by that point, as motorized infantry generally tries not to intentionally enter into the battle sphere mounted in their vehicles – or remain in them, unless the objective is to plough through and escape what’s most likely an ambush.

Quote Originally Posted by Jarms48 View Post
    Personally that seems a bit backwards for the Ad-Mech. I would have preferred some updates Roughrider models and rules. IE: Being able to have multiple lances, having 2 wounds or 4 toughness (representing the horses), maybe even the potential to upgrade to motorbikes.
    Honestly, I love the horses and I’m sure I’ll acquire them. Now that these beauties fortuitously exist, one cyber-horse will make an appearance alongside the Minors (replacing the quadbike from the GSC I was going to use) as the mount for what may be the literal worst tech-priest in Adrantis…

I would also expect at this point GW ill re-release Roughriders in some form or another after the precedent sent these new Skitarii and the GSC motorbikers.

I do agree with you on the Minors, mounted melta-guns, dismounted heavy stubbers and missile launchers seems more appropriate for them. If you really wanted some heavy weapon teams you could have horse drawn autocannons and lascannons.
    Ah, that’s what I’d had in mind and decided against.

That way you still have heavier equipment being able to keep up with the infantry. I would also assume that most of the time they would be trained to ride to a location / objective dismount and fight as infantry. With proper cavalry charges being rarer only used when the tactical situation arises or out of sheer desperation.
    I expect the Minors would have a proper wagon train for supplies / medical and the like, but as a force they’re operating as dragoons in the conventional sense as you described – if they’re charging an enemy on horseback, things are either going fabulously well or devastatingly wrong.

Looted tractors and dozers uparmoured to withstand small arms and armed with autocannons would be hilarious. Appropriate for the RP? Not sure, but definitely tying in some real world Soviet desperation and the ad-hoc vehicles they created.
    I’m thinking that the updated version of the war wagon is what more or less Cf’s vehicles would look like – although even more non-standard, as the frateris will have to make due with stolen civilian vehicles. Fortuitously, there should be an abundance of scrap metal on Baraspine to uparmor them, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Derpnaster View Post
    Looted tractors sounds like an up gunned bob semple. Which is both sad and hilarious
    Uh huh.

June MotM 2014
    Sci-fi
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Oh, Paint. A reminder in case you want to use it. Any accompanying infantry are more than welcome to jump on the rear hulls and man the stubbers like Janie. My crews won’t be using them for most of the campaign, unless they’re in a dire situation or ambushed on the march. So feel free if you want some extra suppression.

RPA Honor Guard
    Sci-fi, Fantasy, Mature
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)

i mean if az wants me to I will, but its not like they would bring everything into every battle, its more like, some battles might call for more support, and others might not. like if we're in a space station, you cant bring vehicles there.

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

It just so happens that I am sending you to a space station - but not until campaign 3. Stay tuned!

I’m thinking that I should add a note before each new campaign to record company strength and any assets that are unavailable due to damage or special circumstances. Spaceships I will assume to be repaired back to full operation (if not perhaps full aesthetic perfection) between battles, unless they take some particularly serious damage.
    Spoiler: My RP links 

PM me for novelised versions of any of my RPs, or ones that I have participated in. Set by the awesome Karma.

Page 38 of 65 FirstFirst ... 3637383940 ... LastLast