Page 58 of 65 FirstFirst ... 85657585960 ... LastLast

Thread: Ground War - recruitment and OOC

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Incidentally, Grace was also taking the "sensible" option and commanding the Legion from one of their few Chimeras due to the Legion's atrocious communications situation. That said, Grace was rotating through her companies (traveling with the consolidated HQ and Supply, so delivering supplies as they went) and checking in on her soldiers, as well as weighing in as necessary, although mostly trusting her captains to know their business and get on with it.

Thankfully we're writing 40k, and engaging in hand-to-hand combat is a sign of leadership excellence.

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

My apologies for cutting the scene short - as much as I would thoroughly enjoy watching Grace out-Crenshaw Crenshaw in taking Dunov down on every aspect of the starport attack, I don’t want to distract too much from progressing the main story. Speaking of which, as the other aftermath post insinuated, the next set-piece for the Imperial side will be holding the line in a cave network, whose mouth opens into a canyon (which makes a great choke point, but unfortunately the enemy have air superiority at this time, so bear that in mind for any ground preparations). If you would like me to take account of any specific defensive setups / traps before that kicks off, let me know.
    Spoiler: My RP links 

PM me for novelised versions of any of my RPs, or ones that I have participated in. Set by the awesome Karma.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Aye, best we not indulge Dunov’s temper tantrum any further.

Regarding the coming campaign on Coseflame, and thinking towards our defensive scheming, what’s the status of our Cam and Havenite allies? Unfortunately, we seem to have lost Cf and Derp.

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

Camites will be present for a certain Ministorum-related plot point, Havenites can also be present if you wish, though will not be doing anything tide-turning on their own initiative (so as not to steal spotlight from the remaining PCs)

PM me for novelised versions of any of my RPs, or ones that I have participated in. Set by the awesome Karma.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

If the Camites will feature, it’s only fair the Havenites are present – why not have a bit of optimism that either or both Cf and Derp will return, and have their forces on-hand?

The Havenites will also allow you to have a Wildcard element to have some fun with.

In terms of defenses, what with the Patriot’s having uncontested orbital superiority for X-amount of time, I’d expect we’ve forgone the notion of offensive action / going too far outside the cavern – so definitely an additional layer or two of depth beyond the initial line, and whatever we can get our mitts on for infantry and vehicle obstacles to break and slow down formations out front – worth it alone for nothing else than requiring the Patriots to waste artillery / air support in clearing the obstacles out.

If the cavern’s terrain allows for it, I would absolutely have Legion units in elevated, fortified positions in addition to the ground layers. I see the value in at least some of the Chimeras and Russes hulled down as bunkers with overlapping fields of fire (second and third lines) although since the Legion’s almost exclusively on foot, that’s not my call to make there.

In terms of devious traps, what came to mind was rigging the inside curve of the switchback outside our cavern with high-ex into an extra-large fougasse to projectile chunks of mountain parallel to the cavern – directly into the fixed path that the Patriots would have to assault through to attack our first line.

How’s that sound with you so far, AD?

Sanity's Eclipse
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

To add: The Death Korps storm chimeras could be used as more frontal defenses given their autocanons and the Kriegsman penchant for developing a good front line (better the fanatics throw their lives away gladly than put other lives on the direct line, eh?). Assuming there are available vehicles with which to fortify the position of course. Said autocannon armed Chimeras can also be definitely used outside the cavern if possible to force the Patriots to use greater munitions to remove those very dangerous obstacles.
    Hit me up on discord: Mags#3126
    I'm just easier to get a hold of there. Just lemme know who you are

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Regarding Krieg: Well, there’s definitely merit to having the Storm Chimeras as a free-floating element, although if the whole mountainside into an improvised claymore idea is greenlit, naturally we’d have keep them inside the cavern until that gambit has been played – cos that’d suck for the Patsies, to survive falling rocks for a shoal of Chimeras (with those delayed chain flails?) coming straight at you.

While there’s no doubting the Kriegans would hold the line well, I doubt they’re the fanatics the rest of the Guard would want on the absolute front line. I’d expect none of the professional soldiers want the frateris militia behind them, or holding their flank – and that’s before any of the ongoing trust issues with the Camites from Baraspine (speaking for the Legion, at least) are factored into the decision.

Hypothetical Deployment: Frateris militia on the front line - backed up with the Storm Chimeras and the Havenite Hellhounds (if they’re still a thing?) so there’s some real spicy mobile firepower which can advance, cause havoc amongst the traitors, and fall back to our lines relatively quickly as needed – probably some AP explosives out front of the militia, but nothing that’d risk our own armor.

Kriegans have the center of the second line with the Legion anchoring their flanks with heavy weapons – easier for the Korps to mount up if / when needed?) and we have the Cadian tankies (with their Legion bodyguard platoon) behind so that they’re freely able to shoot over the entrenched Krieg and Legion – perhaps some more AP explosives and infantry obstacles, to funnel the Patsies onto Kriegan bayonets?

Havenites are the third line (make use of those rifle grenades they like, to shoot over the second line) and are a mobile reserve / check on any flanking, should the Patriots have something saucy like Termites – their Chimeras staggered with the Russes so we maximize our heavy weapons.

Regarding fortifying: I dearly hope that the Guard brought along construction battalions, or that the Munitorum sent some labor cadres. Amongst our own forces, the Camites were described as having some Killdozers – which could be temporarily returned to their original purpose and used to dig trenches and build up some firing casements – although, worst case, I’d assume that Coseflame as a world known for mining would have vehicles which could be requisitioned to suit our needs?

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PaintSerf View Post
    In terms of defenses, what with the Patriot’s having uncontested orbital superiority for X-amount of time, I’d expect we’ve forgone the notion of offensive action / going too far outside the cavern
    Correct - staying defensive due to this cavern complex being a vital objective (containing the starport where Imperial reinforcements can come in - they would be using the orbital elevators too but Ban's marines need to clear out the Patriot garrisons at the topside stations first), and due to knowing that the relief fleet is engaging and so the air superiority situation could well shift soon.

The timeline is a bit squint, but in the interest of hammering square pegs into round holes I'll say that pretty much concurrent with the Imperial Void scrap over Coseflame, transports were dropping the Imperial Ground forces to the starport, and several hours later - round about the time Imperial Void is finishing up - they've been ferried to the frontline (where the defenders, who were sent astropathic instructions ahead of time, have prepared the ground to their specifications) to plug the gaps until Imperial forces can start landing in earnest.

As such it goes without saying that the starport and its defensive orbital lances need to be kept out of Patriot hands by yourselves for the next few hours or the whole plan is f'd. The Patriots very much know this too, so you are about to catch a major push before they're forced to radically alter their tactics by Imperial orbital superiority.

In terms of devious traps, what came to mind was rigging the inside curve of the switchback outside our cavern with high-ex into an extra-large fougasse to projectile chunks of mountain parallel to the cavern – directly into the fixed path that the Patriots would have to assault through to attack our first line.
    This isn't the only entrance to the cavern city (various unsung heroes are currently defending the other ones from additional elements of the Patsies' Big Final Push) so they wouldn't mind the risk of collapsing the whole canyon - the trouble would mainly be getting engineers out there undetected and not having Patriot scouts / pickets subsequently tear them down, but with some diligent efforts prior to your arrival they could certainly rig up a nasty surprise. What were you thinking for a trigger mechanism, automatic or manual?

Likewise the engineers could scatter obstacles, mines and tank traps outside faster than the Patriots could blow them up, and have no doubt been doing so for some time. That said, if there's going to be a chimera counterattack when the canyon wall explosives blow, how do you plan for them to not also be impeded?

Regarding Krieg: Well, there’s definitely merit to having the Storm Chimeras as a free-floating element, although if the whole mountainside into an improvised claymore idea is greenlit, naturally we’d have keep them inside the cavern until that gambit has been played – cos that’d suck for the Patsies, to survive falling rocks for a shoal of Chimeras (with those delayed chain flails?) coming straight at you.
    Oh yeah, Schenke came through on that one - chain flails are available, plus as much of the Callisto surplus that made it to the Legion without Kulkarni subsequently confiscating it.

Regarding fortifying: I dearly hope that the Guard brought along construction battalions, or that the Munitorum sent some labor cadres. Amongst our own forces, the Camites were described as having some Killdozers – which could be temporarily returned to their original purpose and used to dig trenches and build up some firing casements – although, worst case, I’d assume that Coseflame as a world known for mining would have vehicles which could be requisitioned to suit our needs?
    There is a good availability of local labour and machinery, which as noted have been instructed to prep the ground per your instructions. Everything within the caverns is safe from Patsie airstrikes so can go ahead without a hitch, and of course the Killdozers would be able to make last minute alterations.

--------------------

So, in summary, is this roughly correct?

• Canyon approach: Obstacles, mines, charges planted in canyon wall for an oversized claymore
    • Counterattack: Camite frateris, Krieg chimeras and Haven hellhounds to advance in the wake of the blast, cause havoc and fall back
    • First line within cavern: Trenches and tank-bunkers with anti-tank mines out front (presumably with safe routes for the counterattackers to move through) for counterattackers to retreat to
    • Second line within cavern: Kriegan infantry dug in with trenches, Legion infantry in elevated bastions on the flanks, anti-tank and anti-personnel mines out front to funnel the enemy
    • Third line within cavern: Haven infantry dug in with trenches and acting as reserve
    • Cadian armour: TBC; I will assume that they are dug in hull down across the three lines unless told different by @Jarms48;

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Azazeal849
    Correct - staying defensive due to this cavern complex being a vital objective (containing the starport where Imperial reinforcements can come in - they would be using the orbital elevators too but Ban's marines need to clear out the Patriot garrisons at the topside stations first), and due to knowing that the relief fleet is engaging and so the air superiority situation could well shift soon.

The timeline is a bit squint, but in the interest of hammering square pegs into round holes I'll say that pretty much concurrent with the Imperial Void scrap over Coseflame, transports were dropping the Imperial Ground forces to the starport, and several hours later - round about the time Imperial Void is finishing up - they've been ferried to the frontline (where the defenders, who were sent astropathic instructions ahead of time, have prepared the ground to their specifications) to plug the gaps until Imperial forces can start landing in earnest.

As such it goes without saying that the starport and its defensive orbital lances need to be kept out of Patriot hands by yourselves for the next few hours or the whole plan is f'd. The Patriots very much know this too, so you are about to catch a major push before they're forced to radically alter their tactics by Imperial orbital superiority.
    Hmm. If I might offer an alternative to the square pegs?

Our regiments (i.e.: the problem children) were quickly tacked onto the Coseflame invasion roster (might as well make us the Ministorum’s problem) after the ADF debacle in order to have them off Baraspine ASAP. Since our regiments are re-organizing after Baraspine, and surplus to requirements, what with the Silent Vigil and a host of other Guard units with pre-arranged invasion plans, we were relegated to securing reclaimed territory while the rest of the Imperial forces went on the offensive – hence why the captains are nonchalantly talking defensive planning without any undue concern, and gives our units enough time to think about their strategy and to help build their own defenses.

Unfortunately for the Imperium, the Patriots counter-attacked and destroyed / drove off the invasion fleet. Unfortunately for the Patriots, unlike Marioch, they do not catch the Imperium mid-deployment, so there’s a solid crusader beachhead at the starport. Imperial forces pull back, hunker down and wait for relief. The local Patsy forces hold a cordon while their reinforcements from Viper begin to deploy, however that’s much more time consuming ordeal without the proper facilities (hence the number of Adrantean transports still loaded with troops and supplies stuck in the void) but their fleet support is highly confident they can see off an expected relief squadron (hence the Chalices way too close) and are initially taking a more methodical approach, because they’d prefer not to nuke their own starport and with hundreds of Battle Sisters amongst the Imperial defenders, they want to have all forces deployed.

Of course, when the void battle doesn’t go as the Patriots expected (say, when Shepherd begins blowing transports out of the void / having a bombardment cannon in orbit – and then an Imperial battleship shows up?) that’s when their ground forces (local yokes + whatever they’ve managed to get on the ground) begins to mobilize for Big Final Push as they know they’re completely and utterly screwed if they don’t have the starport and its defenses – and leave any Imperial transports bringing in reinforcements towards the end of Imperial Void C2, as undoubtedly the Patriots should otherwise try and intercept them (over picking on Resurgent) as they’re plump, vulnerable targets.

This isn't the only entrance to the cavern city (various unsung heroes are currently defending the other ones from additional elements of the Patsies' Big Final Push) so they wouldn't mind the risk of collapsing the whole canyon - the trouble would mainly be getting engineers out there undetected and not having Patriot scouts / pickets subsequently tear them down, but with some diligent efforts prior to your arrival they could certainly rig up a nasty surprise. What were you thinking for a trigger mechanism, automatic or manual?
    I’d think manual, to hopefully maximize the damage (physical and psychological) to the Patriots. We’ll only have that card to play once, so we might as well make sure as many of the traitors are inside the notional blast zone as we can. If the Kriegans will make the Chimera charge, I’d think Commissar Valkyr should have the detonator – as she’ll undoubtedly have more discretion than Colonel Reichenbach.

Likewise the engineers could scatter obstacles, mines and tank traps outside faster than the Patriots could blow them up, and have no doubt been doing so for some time. That said, if there's going to be a chimera counterattack when the canyon wall explosives blow, how do you plan for them to not also be impeded?
    Honestly, there’s no way the counter-attack (if we deploy it – AD’s prerogative on that one, since it’s his Chimeras providing the bulk of the sally) won’t be impeded to some degree – but what’s running over a mine that miraculously survived or driving into a boulder to a Kriegan? Show the frateris how it’s done!

The outlaying obstacles are purely a time sink, with the intent to force the Patriots into wasting oodles of ammunition to blast a path - or have a hideously miserable time ploughing directly through them – only to encounter a case of rocks fall, everyone dies and have a fresh batch of obstacles, including their crushed and pulverized comrades from the vanguard to advance through.

Sanity's Eclipse
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy, Sci-Fi
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)

Sounding good to me.

I would also add that if the frateris break and try retreating, the dug in Kriegans will absolutely open fire.
    Hit me up on discord: Mags#3126
    I'm just easier to get a hold of there. Just lemme know who you are

Page 58 of 65 FirstFirst ... 85657585960 ... LastLast