Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: [IC] Aurora Dreams: A Firefly Story [M]

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

The amazonian's battle-scarred arms stretched in the confines of her room. She'd never liked being shipboard. Too little influence on the situation, she thought. When it came down to it, her life was now more in the hands of the silent mechanic and the young pilot rather than her physical prowess. And to be fair, that pilot did seem a little naggy. Focused on the helm, but self-absorbed without a doubt. Perhaps it was his alliance smug he picked up from flight academy, or wherever that boy learned to fly. Fluke sighed. She couldn't trust herself to be unbiased, not since the war. It usually didn't matter, but she was on a spaceship with at least two people she didn't seem to share ideologies with. She had to remind herself the war was over.

The war...

She crackled her shoulders thinking about it and a large frown appeared on her face. She had always remained calm in battle, but it were days of leisure when the Alliance's footprint became visible. Her determination came from a bitter place. In more ways than one she was in desperate need for something to release her from her deathmarch to revolution, but she had given up hope long ago.
    Last edited by Q; 01-20-2019 at 01:57 AM.

Domina Noctis
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy and Scifi
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Default ADN x Ushima x Dnafein x J'von

As they walked out of the room, Cori could hear Michelangelo on the intercom sounding a little stressed. They were still about a day and half away from the station being able to get one more sleep before the mission. Whatever set the pilot off wasn't mission related so it could only be something standing in their way. With how risky this mission was they didn't need anything getting in the way. "Ching-wah tsao duh liou mahng. What now?" Cori said, redirecting their path away from the med bay and to the cock pit. As they walked she brushed past Frankie doing little to acknowledge her and not even noticing Junk, though that wasn't unusual the mechanic was good at blending in with the ship.

Michael entered the bridge and looked across the screens. "What have you got for me young blood? This better be life or death for someone."

Michelangelo answered by turning the volume of the mayday up. "Does this count Jefe?" The pilot said with a shrug. "It's not far from our route. is likely trouble no matter what we do about it."

"Let someone else pick them up we don't need to be picking up any strays right now." Cori said, thinking about the mission. They had no idea who this Jade Connors was. The less people that knew about what they were doing the better. "There has to be another ship out here let them deal with her."

"Indeed it does count." Michael moved over to the copilot seat and pressed a few buttons on the console. "Nothing on long range. We're the only ones out here. No telling when a life line will scurry by. We're going." If anything they could drop her somewhere on their way to the core. Michael grabbed the radio and pushed the button to talk. "Navarino this is the Captain of the Aurora. We're on our way. Are you ok? How many other survivors?"

After repeating the phrase once more she could hear static and someone's voice replying her back. She leans back a little and looked through the open windows to get a better view of the Aurora. "Only pilot to fly this bucket. I had a small crew with me but we was attacked by pirates. My crew didn't make it and my ship is about to be a giant fireball in seconds." She moved quickly to a pile of clothes and rushed to change out her current bloody clothes. The blood wasn't hers but the man she shot. "Plus the fuel line is-" there was a small burst of explosion from the engine cutting her radio off. "Dammit!"

Cori looked out the window to the ship noticing the explosion coming from the engine. The ship could blow up at any moment. "Why are we going to risk our lives for this again?" Cori asked, "That thing is gonna blow and any second. I say get the Aurora as far away as we can. No sense risking her or a shuttle on a fool's errand."

Michael saw the engines spark and flames shoot out the side. "Wángbā dàn. Ms. Connors we're on our way. Can you get to the shuttle or cargo bay?" He turned and fixed Cori with a look. "I'm not letting anyone die without trying to save them. I wouldn't be able to live with myself knowing I sat back and did nothing. And deep down I think you'd feel the same. Bring us in closer Mikey to minimize the shuttle's travel time."

She shot an equal look right back at King, despite their little trip down memory lane she wasn't in the greatest of mood, she had slept pretty well at the brothel but had still woke up with a back ache. Without saying anything she left the cockpit stopping by her room to grab her pistols and her rifle along with some extra ammo for both. Then she went to the shuttle that wasn't being rented and sat down checking her weapons.

Her eyes turned to the fire the burst into the hallway area. She moved quicker when sparks came flying out of the consoles, smoke filled the rooms causing Jade to suffocate just a little. Pressing a button to open a door that leads to an escape pod. Once it opens, Jade grabbed what she needed to use. Her weapons, clothes and the small chest filled with cash. She wasn't sure if she should have kept it or let it burn with the ship. Once she had what she needed, Jade quickly moved inside and pressed another button behind her, closing the door between the pod and the ship. Leaping to the seat and hits the "Eject." Button hard with her fist. The pod shoots out from the side and moves fast and quickly from the timely explosion. Searching around in the pod she finds a radio still intact. "Captain of the Aurora...this is Jade. I managed to get out in time...now can you please pick me up? I have some cash for your hospitality."

Michelangelo started to kove the ship closer to the other. His fingers moving smoothly across the controls. Suddenly he spun the ship away and tapped the thrusters nudging them away from the blast, clued kn to its imminent burst by the launch of the pod.

"Eh, Jefe," Mikey started, "If you and Cori suit up, and clear the bay i can grab the pod no problem." He finished his suggestion with a shrug.

"Negative fly boy, we'll pull her in with the shuttle. I'm still not liking the idea of this. If it's a trap only two of us are gonna die. But hey if we do you can have my whiskey." Cori said, though in truth she hated wearing the space suits. First she didn't like the idea only a thin layer protecting you from the vacuum of space and second she had to wear a suit too big to fit her brace into it. She kept meaning to ask Junk to make a magnetic attachment for her boot so she could wear it on the outside of the suit.

"Glad I won't be the only one doing all the heroics." Michael set the radio down and left the bridge, throwing an order to keep the ship a safe distance from the Navarino. Quickly he grabbed his weapons, even his sword, and joined Cori in the shuttle. Shoving his hand cannon into his holster he slid into the pilot seat. "Shuttle two departing." With the usual jerk of the shuttle disconnect Michael flew the ship forward. "Connors this is the Aurora shuttle, you just said the magic words. We're gonna tractor beam you back to the Aurora."

Michelangelo didn't have to do much in the way of keeping his home safely out of harms way. Space is fairly big after all; Still his hanss hovered over the controls, even as his eyes watched his scanners. Trouble generally follows trouble.

It didn't take King long to lock in the escape pod and tow it to one of the airlocks. They secured it then returned the shuttle pod to the dock. Cori lead the way to the air lock and made sure they had a good seal before opening the airlocks door. She had her rifle in hand as she kicked the escape pod door, her boot making a metallic clank against the door. "We got a good seal open the pod door Connors and come out with your hands up." Cori said, cocking her rifle and holding it at the ready.

Michael pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed. "Starting off on this foot huh? All right, I'll indulge." He was standing off to the side, foot propped up and his right arm draped across it as he leaned forward. His gun was held in his right hand and his sword hung on his left hip. "Ms. Connors I promise my first mate is just being over cautious, which I appreciate. You're safe now."

"So am I." She grabbed her shotgun and cocked it once and aimed it at the door. "First you rescue me...now you wanna rob me?" She hid behind the seat and waited a little more. "Should have known you government assholes were coming and you ain't taking me alive that's for certain. So how about you guys put your guns down with your hands up and I won't kill you?"

"You seem a bit confused that you are in a position to demand anything." Cori said, staring at the pod door her finger on the trigger of the rifle ready to shoot. "We ain't gonna rob you and keep in mind we can easily drop your ass back in space." She turned back to King, "Told you this was a bad idea but no you've always got to go play hero."

"Hey hey hey." Michael knocked on the door with his gun. "None of that now. We're not government assholes. Now you said you'd tip us, that's fine. We don't want the rest of your stuff." He looked over at Cori, not forgetting her hero comment. "Sorry I don't want people to needlessly die. Ms. Connors, we're all friends here. What can I do to prove we're not gonna shoot you and take your stuff?"

She thought about it for a moment. Then came to a conclusion. "Drop your guns...and put your hands in the air...and I'll do the same." She carefully got up from the seat. "All the weapons." She reached for her rifle and tossed it outside along with her pistol and the shotgun she was holding and finally her broadsword. "I'm coming out!" Taking slowly steps outside with her hands up her eyes to the floor and finally stopped at the entrance of the pod. "This is a fine welcome party." Than smirked once she looked at the Captain but her eyes slowly gazed to the woman.

As the woman stepped out of the pod Cori lowered her gun so it wasn't pointing directly at Jade but it would only take a second to be trained back on her. They were close enough that aiming wasn't really needed. It was possible that Jade had been attacked by pirates but it was just as possible that she was a pirate and this was a trap. Knowing that King was better at talking Cori let him take the lead in figuring out which Jade was. Should something need shot or punch Cori was your girl but talking that was King's thing.

"She's always like that don't mind her. You get used to it." Michael holstered his hand cannon. "Before we proceed how about you tell us what happened? How'd your ship get in such a state? Pirates? Reavers?"

"I was on a job and apparently pirates decided to interrupt my job." She turned back inside the pod to find the chest and her bag. "Now please may I have something to eat?" She looked around "I haven't ate anything for quite a while. I'll tell ya everything you want to know. Okay?"

Finally feeling like Jade wasn't going attack them she lowered her rifle to her side then guided her to to galley. On the way she tossed the rifle into her room but kept her pistol belt on. It looked strange over the Alliance uniform as most Alliance soldiers used standard issue weapons and they weren't the style of her pistols. Once in the galley she walked over to the refrigerator grabbing some of Micheal's leftover breakfast from yesterday then dropping it before Jade. She also grabbed a beer and cracked it open, drinking it as she leaned against the wall. "What kind of job?"

Another round of bullets hits my skin. Well, fire away
    Cause today, I won't let the shame sink in. We are bursting through
    the barricades and reaching for the sun.

We Are Warriors

Hell Knight of RPA
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Following the other woman she would have expected a armed group hiding somewheres in the ship. Though she was glad there was none. Continuing to be cautiously with the other who followed she still felt odd. Observing the woman whom brought her a plate, Jade inhales slowly with a hiss. "Frozen grub." Then smiled, "I like it." She sits down and started eating the meal.

Her ears perked up whenever the woman questioned about her job. She picked the eggs with her fork and placed them in her mouth. Munching slowly her eyes looked up to meet hers. Thinking about her next reply. It brought some memories from her teacher when she first became a hitman.

In her past. She was breathing very hard and her body was shaking. Her body was numb but felt pain. There was a sound of a whip and a scream after. "Pain is a feeling that you must endure in your most crisis situation." A voice filled the room. "You must become stronger after each whip." A whip sound filled the air and another scream along with it. "When tortured for information. You must forget your past...instead find a way out."

The girl heard the slithering sound of the whip ready to strike again. Turning quickly to grab the whip only to be struck with another. The girl groaned in pain and fell on the ground.

"But most importantly...expect the unexpected." A man appeared and stood over the girl. "Fail these...you'll be dead in seconds."

After reminiscing her past she looked up again and smiled. "I was with a crew, that traded with the a Government cargo ship. We usually sell goods and such but while we were conducting business. Pirates found us and started attacking fast. I barely made it out while my crew was killed." She takes a piece of bacon and chomped it down hard. "The pirates somehow blown up the cargo ship along with their own ship." She laughed softly. "A bunch of dumbasses anyways." She picked up another piece of bacon but stopped. She slowly turned to her side to see a woman sitting on the bench with her. She jumped in shock and looked at the others. "How long as she been there?!"

The Shadow's Embrace
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Junk had just been sitting there this whole time, legs up on the bench for her to hug with her cereal forgotten before her. The dying engine had kept her in that spot, hearing it scream till it’s bitter end. Even once it was silenced with it’s destruction, Junk just remained in her spot. She almost missed the people filling in with the newcomer. She usually had the spot in this corner of the galley to herself.

Finally she had been noticed, still just staring at the new person.”You let it die painfully.” Yup, that was the first words from the mechanic in the alliance outfit. “Should’ve granted it peace. Core fuel dump once he couldn’t go any more, let the drift carry you instead of trying to keep the broken running without ability to fix...” Her words were soft spoken, but there was hard emotion in them. King would probably even notice the slight trembling that Junk had to her. It wasn’t an engine or machine she knew about, but still it had affected her. She didn’t move from her spot, remaining there with her now too soggy cereal still floating in her bowl.
    I am the blade of shadows embrace. Just because I am a user of an unholy power doesn't make me evil. For without light, a shadow cannot exist.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Heson Shadowbane is on discord! For those friends of mine that want to keep in touch with me just send me a message and I'll give ya my deets.

Vikings make me all tingly inside
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Frankie opened her eyes. They were knit together with some goo that she scrubbed at with the back of her hand. Her stomach rumbled, reminding her it had been more than a day that she'd had a full meal.
    The nap she'd taken had made her mind feel heavy. She felt worse instead of better.
    She rolled over to face the photo that lay across the room. He had been broad shouldered and thick with muscle. His glossy black hair had fell in curls over bright green eyes.
    His smile was a lopsided mess of amusement that made her heart flush even now. It was a snapshot of a memory.
    Francis frowned.
    She didn't know what he looked like now, all these years later. He had been a great friend but never wanted more, even if she desperately had.
    Instead he'd married a backwoods girl whose father owned the largest bean harvesting operation on Muir. She was blond and thin with a crap attitude and no interest in any of the things he liked.
    Last she heard they had two sons.

Frankie sat up, she rubbed at the red hair that would never lay as perfect as Marybelle kept hers. She looked at the photo again. She really should get over it.
    "I hope you got fat." She said to him.

She flipped open a mirror she'd lain on the shelf and tried in vain to flatten the hair that had stuck itself straight up from the side of her head during her nap.
    It sprung back into a mess after every pass of her hand. Her eyes were red and swollen with sleep. She bore into her reflection for a moment, thinking unkind thoughts before snapping the mirror shut and left the tiny room, forgetting her shoes, and taking on the rough ship floors barefoot.
    She wore the same clothes as the day before, now rumpled and creased.
    She rubbed at her face in attempts to wake herself up further.

She made her way to the mess, on her own thoughts, the world around her shut out.
    There had to be something to eat somewhere.

Her stomach rumbled again. She took a step toward the doorway, catching the metal frame with a bare toe and sending herself tumbling theough the doorway into the galley. "Fucking hell!"
    Her head bounced violently off the floor and she lay dizzy for the fleetests of seconds, allowing the pain to subside before she got to her feet, rubbing at the goose egg that would soon sprout under her hair. "Are you kidding me?!" She snapped as she stood. "I can't even fucking walk, no wonder I'm fucking alone. Jesus H!"

She stopped dead. Before her stood a couple of people that already cared little for her, the mechanic she had hoped had at least been okay with her, and some new face. Frankie blinked.

"Who the hell is this now?!" She snapped. "We're in fucking space...where did- oh nevermind! Nevermind!"
    She threw up her hands, and ignoring them all, limped to the cupboard, dug angrily for a meal bar and bit off a chunk, mumbling through chewing, "I don't even underatand this crap. Just wanted food. Random space people now....."
    She chewed hard as if the clenching of her teeth would give answers and stalked from the room.

In the hall, she turned, and started toward the only place she knew to look for a pilot.
    ~~~Um...No?~~~

3Spooky5U
    Science Fiction/Slice of Life/Fandom
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Time had been passing in a blur. It seems each time she blinked an hour had passed. Is this what happens when you get old? She snorted at the thought. She had spent time preparing medkits, but there comes a point when you’ve made too many. There weren’t enough people on the ship to justify making fifty, so she smothered her urge to make more. She had been fiddling with an extra scalpel for an hour, flipping it through her fingers, making a game out of seeing how close she could get it to her flesh without it striking.

God, she hadn’t been this bored in a long time.

She pulled herself out of her trance, looking down at the knife in her hand. What was she even doing? That was irresponsible, unsafe, just...why? Who was she, her brother? She chuckled, even as her eyes darkened at the memory. She had chastised him for even less in the past.

Shaking her head, Anika stepped outside. She needed “fresh air”. She could hear someone stomping and muttering under their breath. She crept towards the noise and found herself by the kitchen. There was a new voice. What had she missed? It was embarrassing that she hadn’t noticed. Stepping into the kitchen, she plastered a smile onto her face.

“Good...afternoon?” She guessed, turning towards Cori, she added, “the medbay is...operational.” Anika hesitated to say ‘ready’ as not to seem suspicious to this new passenger. A young woman, looking shocked. A young woman who just happens to find her way here, instead of anywhere else in infinite space. Alright. She stuck out her hand and looked into the eyes of the new guest, “Anika Mehren. Medic.”
    Last edited by Griff; 01-24-2019 at 03:19 PM.

Griffin / Gumbo / Gambit / Griff

Better Then Expected
    Mature, Romance, Parody, General
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Michael followed Cori and Jade into the galley. As their new guest sat down at the table and give food Michael went over to their refrigeration until. Reaching inside it he pulled out a bottle of beer. Turning around and leaning against the counter, lacking any opener, he drew his sword. The cap popped off and rolled across the floor. "Sucks that a bunch of idiots destroyed your ship." Michael sheathed his sword and took a sip of beer. He wouldn't know what to do with himself if anything happened to the Aurora. For a ship he won in a card game on some backwater world he was mighty attached to it. It provided him and his crew semi-stable income.

Jade jumped up from the ship. "How long as she been there?!"

Michael pushed himself off the counter. "That's Junk. Bit of a ghost sometimes but she's the mechanic, best one in the galaxy if you ask me." Approaching Junk he placed a hand on her back, soothingly letting running it up and down. "Bit of a warning, she can speak to machines. Your ship was crying out at the end. And she's not the only one on board with abilities." The bottle cap floated up off the ground, crossing the table and dropped itself into the trash bin. "Hope that's okay with you?" Some people he's come across saw powers as unnatural and it's lead to interesting encounters. Like being tried for witchcraft and nearly set on fire. That was fun. Before he could continue speaking Frankie stumbling through the halls caught all their attention. The girl was cursing and stomping off. "You alright?" Michael yelled after her but she was gone. "Okay good talk. So...how about we get you situated with a room? I'm sure you're exhausted after your ordeal."

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Fluke strolled out of her bunk underway to the refrigerator. Her eyes briefly locked with Jade's. A hireling? In deep space? She wasn't very enthusiastic about it. Then again, she wasn't really a people-person outside of the field. When she arrived at the fridge, she took out the first of her three green apples, bought at the Eavesdown docks.

Fluke sat down in the darkest, furthest corner of the common room. The bench smelled like engine oil. Junk's favorite spot, probably. Her boot-strapped bowie (which wasn't as huge as one might think) sliced into the apple, carefully scanning it for surprises - whether it be worms or pomegranates. Slice after slice, the amazonian munched the green apple away.

Hell Knight of RPA
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

She listened to the woman sitting next to her. How she detailed about the destruction of her ship and how she felt about it's final ending. "A ship is a ship." She replied. "If I had tools on board I would have fixed her up and she be running like shiny." Still feeling a bit guilty about how she answered with bitterness. Placing the cold piece of bacon in her mouth again and chewing slowly while another person entered the Galley. Rather observing the woman who entered and complained rather loudly than the others. It was odd to see someone who did not know what happened.

Her attention turned when another person entered the Galley. 'How many people can fit on this ship?' She thought as her eyes looked around for any others. She looked back to the woman again to see her hand extended out. Introducing herself the ship medical personal. Jade reached out as well and gives a slight squeeze. "Jade Connors...Entrepreneur."

Finishing her meal and gives a soft exhale of relief she looked to the captain who spoke once more. Introducing the woman next to her as "Junk" Who can read ships. Her hunch was right about the woman. A Reader of sorts. Which was very rare and yet very cautious about their ability. Though it still caught her off guard when she sees the bottle cap moving on it's own towards the trash can. Another person with strange ability. She smiled slightly and looked to the others. "Funny." Her eyes turned to the captain with the spoon in her hand. "I thought I was the only freak." She picked up the spoon with one hand and twirls the spoon around her finger on the other hand. Afterwards she pulled on it to straighten it out and set it on the table.

Her head looked to another who entered only this one didn't say anything except looked at her while eating an apple. Scanning the piece of fruit with a tool Jade scoffed and smiled. "It's a piece of fruit...usually they would turn odd color when they spoil." She hinted. "Or has a bunch of holes." She inhales sharply while picking up her things. "So...where is this little comfort of comfort is?" She asked with a smile still on her face. Before she followed the captain she took a step close to Cori. "Don't ever threaten me with a gun...you're not the only one doing all the pointing." She smiled as she took her leave.
    Last edited by MidKnight; 02-02-2019 at 07:18 PM.

Domina Noctis
    Fantasy and Scifi
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)

Jade scoffed at Fluke's examination of the apple and Cori knew exactly why she was doing it. "Ever hear of a Griswald apple?" Cori said, taking a step closer to Jade and picking up the spoon. "The Alliance used them during the war. Take an ordinary apple and implant a Griswald grenade inside then leave them out for starving independent troops to find. Bite into and boom. After you've watched your Lt get blown to bits you get a little paranoid or you lose the taste for apples."

Shortly after joining the war Cori had witnessed just that. They had ran out of food a couple of days before. The Lt had taken a squad to look for food and came back with a case of fresh apples. He had been so proud of his find that he ignored the Sergeant Major's warning for caution. They never did find his dog tags. Cori hadn't eaten an apple since that day.

Before Jade left room Cori walked over to her and tucked the spoon into her pocket patting it closed. She leaned in real close the whispered, "I don't need a gun to threaten you." She stepped back and let King show her to the rooms. "Hey doctor I could use a little tailoring help and you're the closest thing we got."

Another round of bullets hits my skin. Well, fire away
    Cause today, I won't let the shame sink in. We are bursting through
    the barricades and reaching for the sun.

We Are Warriors

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast