Thread: How do you like your difficulty served?

RPA's Hedonist
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Default How do you like your difficulty served?

Easy Peasy with some lemon squeezy?
    A well-done Medium?
    Piping Hot Hard?

I'm sure most agree that it depends on the game. =P
    I rarely play on Easy unless just looking for an effortless play through because of a hangover, or due to achievements.

One series I jump off the deep end with is Far Cry (except Far Cry 1 because reasons)
    While Far Cry 2 required some method to the madness that was buggy stealth, enemy outposts respawning once you were merely 10 yards away, and some other odd bits, I found the later games to be far more enjoyable on the highest difficulty. Sure, the adventure was still generally easy majority of the time, it still required some tactics in taking outposts and completing the more intense missions. Once you had a lot of combat perks unlocked, there wasn't much stopping you...

Hitman series is another that I prefer to go Pro with.

So, how about you?

Arch-angel of Epica
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)

Depends... I mostly play for the plot, so I often find combat a distraction. I like easy to normal levels, unless I want some challenge, but even then I don't like it too difficult.

I still remember the days I played doom on the Dos, and even with cheats on I choose the level of "I'm too young to die"

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Has anyone made the obligatory dark souls joke yet? No?

I play dark souls for fun. Nuff’ said.

For real though, I like things to be firm but fair. On the side of challenging, but without pushing it all the way to brutal. Hard enough to make me think strategically and use all the tools at my disposal, but not so hard that any minor mistake is immediately punished with a trip back to the last checkpoint.

Senpai
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

I go balls to the wall with everything. I'm a completionist, and will almost 90% of the time, play a game first time boot on the hardest difficulty. These days, games aren't that hard, with the exception of Darkest Dungeon and the like.

People who say Dark Souls is hard, just aren't that patient enough. All it is, is a game of rock paper scissors. Be patient, and your opportunity will come.

Finish games like Uncharted on their 'Crushing' difficulty. Which pit you with one hit kill enemies, and severely limited ammo. Even Devil May Cry. It's brutal to a point where it makes you want to cry, but persistence is usually the key to it all. And a little of strategy and tactical approach.