Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: (M) Rogue's Gallery IC

Krystalline Moon
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Default CoOp between Yamimoon, SikstaSlathalin, and Kris

The night was coming upon them and it was time to set up camp. They were getting closer to their goal and the closer they got the more Ashvel was becoming nervous. The Library was in a big town, and one not know for their acceptance of his kind, and it worried him to enter the town. It would only take one person to find out what he was and then he would find himself on the run or worse.

It didn’t take long for the leaders to decide who will be on what duties this evening. Lucky for him he wasn’t on patrol duty tonight. It had been a couple of days since he was able to have a successful hunt. He was needing to be free from patrol tonight. He was excited to get to do some cooking. It is something he has never done before and he wanted to at least learn.

Placing his weapons in the back of the cart as he walked over to where the rest of the group that would be cooking was gathered. The sun was still too high for him to take off his robe. So, he would have to cook in his robe for now. Then the group was split into different groups as well. He was teamed up with Sheva, and Balder. He knew the Giant a little, but the human he hadn’t met before.

This was a good opportunity for him to be able to get to know more members of the guild, and maybe another friend. As he began to work as Sheva approached him and began to speak to him about Jamon, and how people pick on the young man. It is true that he is one of the ones that is the but of most peoples’ jokes, but if he didn’t think he could handle it he shouldn't have come along. Then she mentioned Velaire, and how she was being put on guard duty with little sleep. Giving a sigh he just smiled and stopped what he was doing and looked at Sheva.

“The young man might have more of a reason to be tagging along with us on our mission.” Ashvel said in a relaxed tone as he thought about what he would say next. “We all come from different backgrounds, and because of that we all have different reason for becoming members of this Guild. I believe that he is stronger than we all take him for. I am sure that when the time comes we will understand his reason for being here.” Ashvel said as he looked down at his own hands before looking back up.

“As for Velaire. Don’t worry about her. She is stronger than you know.” Ashvel said as he looked over at the young lady. Even though they had been traveling together all this time she hasn't spoken once. Though she really didn’t need to for him to understand what she is. She was an undead. A cursed race like he was, hated and feared by most people. Though it is not his place to tell anyone what she is. This made it difficult to communicate about it with the young woman.

“Vel is stronger than you might think.” Ashvel said in an upbeat tone as he went back to working on dinner. “If she had a problem with being on guard duty she would voice it. We all have our strengths and weaknesses.” He said as he pulled back the base of his glove to see his reding skin. Shaking his head he looked up at Sheva. “I am sure that they will be great companions, and don't worry so much. People will be people and if pushed too far they will push back.” Ashvel said as he tilted his head to the right smiling.

“I wouldn’t use the term ‘voice it’ you know”, Sheva gave a bitter smile as the ironic words played some kind of a joke in her head, “I feel that this girl will agree to do the impossible if requested. I wonder what drives her to do as she is told, and blindly so, if I may add”, Sheva nodded and sighed, “I used to be like her you know… I used to think I had so much to lose and I would be willing to do all that needed to keep my position… but nowadays? I feel like every little thing can draw my ire and make me leave. You won’t see me missing hours of sleep, unless the situation is dire”

While the two were talking, Tris has returned with his loot, throwing his mind about Sheva milking the cow and she in return put her step down, knowing that it was another way for Tris to tease her. She was looking at the giant, who was probably the one who was going to give the final say in the matter, as he was in charge of both Ash and Sheva duties regarding the work on the food making.

Balder had always been one to focus on the task at hand and ignore stuff going on around him. But he couldn’t ignore Tris strolling up with a cow, two chickens, and a lock box. Three of the four were ok, but as the man made jokes about Sheva milking the cow before they cook it the large male hurumed low in his chest and put down the side of meat he was preparing. Kneeling down the Quartermaster lifted the cow off the ground and began studying her like a person does a dog.

He soon shook his head and placed the animal back. ”She is too old for milk, and too skinny to eat.” He said simply before moving to his wagon fishing around he pulled out a jaw filled with blue liquid and a brush. He began painting intricate symbols on the old cow’s body, going from her head to her tail. Once he was done he clicked his tongue and slapped the cow’s behind and with a surprised moo the cow trundled off. He watched her go then turned back to his food prep. “The symbols will keep her safe from any sensible human and some of the less tenacious predators. As for the chickens and lock box the chickens are yours Master Archer and the box is for the company. Now go back to the woods, we have work to do. Master Ash help me with these sides of beef, Mistress Sheva bring the spices.” With that he lifted the heaviest chunk and carried it to the central fire.

Sheva was thankful for the Giant’s wise words and his collective judgment on the matter, and with a glare at Tris she turned to follow Balder along with the vampire. Looks like she won’t be spitting into Tris’s food tonight.

“So back to what we talked to before we were interrupted by the crude man… My opinion on the matter is as I’ve said. Her growth will mature in her ability to find her voice again. Just because she can, doesn’t mean she is gotta do as she is told….”.

Ashvel didn’t understand why Sheva was so intent on Vel. Why would he be concerned for her when she has never said a word to the fact of being unhappy. Then she mentioned that she used to be like Vel. Willing to do anything to get what she wanted. This is something Ashvel was not accustomed to hearing. People never agree with him. Chuckling slightly as he looked back at the woman.

“If all people could be as open as you were just a moment ago maybe this world would be a better place.”

“Perhaps… But often words of sincerity leads to demise… and betrayal. Maybe it’s good that she can’t speak then…”, Sheva looked far at the distance and sighed. What that sighed signified however, remained a mystery.

It was getting late, and they still had so much to do. Moving over to the meat Ashvel picked it up and moved it over to the fire. He then looked up to the Giant. He never knew what to think about him. He kept to himself more times than not, or at least that is how it seemed to him. A man of few words. However, Ashvel didn’t know how to start a conversation with the Giant. He looked at Sheva who was searching through their begs while speaking with Balder and waited for her to return the fire with the spices.

“That would be all for today”, Sheva showed him a small plate with some red vegetables and onions. “Balder says we need to keep a modest ration as we running low on them, and we still have much way go before we reach a city to buy more”.

The Giant nodded slowly taking out his long knife and began cutting chunks of the meat off and began tossing the bits into the big stew pot. “Vel is unable to talk actually, but she has proven a most valuable ally and one of best guards we can ask for.”

“Master Balder. If I may ask. According to the guild master, you and the other captains have been with the guild since the beginning. I am guessing the others are rather new as well, but Vel probably being longer than the others? There seems to be a bound… strong connection between you four. I know you appreciate and value her… but certainly… I see her on her feet more hours than the others… Why is that?”, Sheva looked at the Giant surprised, “Is it really okay for her to do such labor? Even the strongest of men, has to sleep… and I’ve hardly seen her resting since the beginning of our journey. I am worried about her”. Power and might was one thing. Hell even the Giant seemed to constantly awake… but Vel was still human…. Or… was she?

Sheva considered this for a moment, “Never mind. I misspoke”. She suspected they knew something, and if nothing was said until now, it was better not to ask unless she was told. But she was still curious nevertheless, “Today we will server the same ration? Or shall we wait for the hunters to return”. The meat they used until now was still in good shape, but maybe the Giant wanted them to serve something else, for moral purpose.

Balder chuckled putting the rest of the meat into the pot. “Well when you spend the whole day riding in the wagon there is a trade-off and for Vel it’s guard duty. But if she wishes for a change she can give us a sign of her displeasure. But enough of this talk we need to focus on dinner before it gets too late and we need to feed fifteen people and refill our stores of dried rations some.” He cleaned the blood off his blade and began shifting through the spices.

“Indeed”, Sheva said slowly. The excuse of “a trader for sitting in the wagon” was unsatisfying, but she figured she won’t get any other answer for now (if it all). What more, the Giant seemed bent on changing the topic so she decided to comply and not to press further on the matter. Instead she turned her attention to the handsome man before her, “You are really good with handling the meat, Master Ashvel. The blood is nonexistent too”, The stench of the hot liquid of life was almost lost, which indicated of him knowing his work around the meat and flesh, as it could have been achieved by thoroughly draining, enriching the meat in the process, “Not that I think that you drank it dry, mind you”, she smiled softly. While not knowing about Vel, it was hard not to see what Ash truly was. His energy also seemed somewhat richer than the ones projected by the other vampires she came across (which she wished she haven’t, as the experience almost cost her life). None of them had the same level of power, which made her to believe he was either a special case, or prephas the highly regarded higher vampire. “As for myself? I was never much of a cook. I’m surprised to see that my craft is of any use around here”.

As the sun lowered even more it was dark enough to finally take his hood off. The conversation was going in a direction that he didn’t want to get involved in. So, he just kept quiet as they proceed to continue to cook. Once the conversation changed he was now once again the center of the conversation. When she mentioned that the meat was well drained. Giving a soft sight he set down the knife as he looked at the meat.

“I am just accustomed to dealing with things that are dead. It comes with the territory.” Ashvel said as he kept a happy tone, even though he was a little uncomfortable at the moment. He understood how she felt about learning to cook.

“Master Ashvel. You seem like… You do not belong here…”, She considered her words, not wanting to offend him. She clearly didn’t mean that he shouldn’t travel with them because he was a vampire, but was afraid her words will come across as such, “Let me make this statement more clear… Everyone here seems akin to some adventure or another. Probably needing the coin, or simply bored. You seem like someone who is above all this… Why travel with us? what do you hope to gain? Or to find?”. Such gentle hands doing such labor and on the road. Dealing with dead things or not, he looks like the type to rule a kingdom, not scrap for food or make one.

Shaking his head as he chuckled slightly. “Don’t take my words as anything more than continuing a conversation. I have nothing to hide, and I don’t take an offence to anything that is said. At least you are talking to me like an equal.” he said as he looked to the stew. “We all have reasons. I am here to try and show people not all Vampires are as evil as people seem to think we are. Besides, people are not as open minded as they claim to be. They like to judge before they understand.”

Sheva held herself from laughing, but she couldn’t hide her amusement, “Rather big display for such small bands of scoundrels. You don’t think you can achieve something like this on a mission that will probably be hidden from the messes. I appreciate the idea and your will, but I doubt this will be the way to approach this. The only ones to know about your courage will be us. Forgive me, but I cannot see how this will affect anyone else”, Sheva considered for a moment, “There are many kingdoms that are recruiting warriors for their petty wars. If you want to be famous, shouldn’t you prove it in battle, rather in a mission such as this?”

“Changing the minds of a couple of people is better than nothing. Besides, I am not a major fighter. I am a medic, I want to heal not kill. That is if I can get away with it. I don’t feed on anything on two legs. I only feed on animals.”

Balder chuckled again working his selected spices into the stew. “By Father Sky’s beard you two are chatty. As for being in battle many of us have been fighting for much of our lives Mistress Sheva. Master Ash included, you don’t join our group coming from a place of safety and comfort.” He though back at Jamon. “Well most of us don’t, but those that do join do so to grow and learn and if they find fame and fortune along the way so be it.”

“You are right. Everyone has had horrible things happen in their lives. The loss can become a driver to set you on the right path. At least for me.” Ash said as he then looked to the Giant. “You are a wise man.”

Sheva considered the Giant’s words. While things still made no sense to her, she decided to trust the Vampire to know that he was doing what he considered to be best for him and his goals. Maybe it was not all black and white, with one direction to lead life. Maybe… It was still left to be seen after all. “

“You may have a point”, Sheva nodded at the Giant and looked at Ash, “Maybe finding your idea laughable was a mistake on my end, and I apologize for this. It is true that I do not understand how this will unfold in your favour but… If and when it is be possible for me, I will lend you my power so that you can achieve your noble goals”.

The job seemed to be done, and the food seemed to be in a presentable shape- more or less. All that was left was for everyone to be back to dine.

With the prep itself down Balder lifted the large stirring oar and began mixing the stew. All that was left was to let the stew and ingredients cook. “You are a noble woman Mistress Sheva, but you sit inside your head too much. Just like Adam, it must be a human thing.” He chuckled changing the direction of his stirring. Can you two gather the wood from Jamon and Faur please? We’ll be needing fires to keep our guards in decent light.”

“Words are powerful but actions are stronger. I will hold onto my beliefs no matter if I suffer for them. We all have to hold onto what we believe. However, on a bright note he could be proud of at least helping do something he had never done before. Cooking was a lot of work but it was rewarding in the end. As the Giant gave them another assignment he walked beside the young woman. “I appreciate your help. It is a longer journey than one hopes to watch. The one thing you can help with is spreading the word that not all of us are monsters.”

“I will”, Sheva nodded as they both went to the direction of the giant deer and the young boy. While they unpacked the wood, Sheva couldn’t ignore Balder’s comment about how she and Adam were alike. It was most definitely ill made error on his judgment, as they both couldn’t be any more of a different people. Luckily there was too much work to be done to keep thoughts on such a small matter.
    Last edited by Yamimoon; 02-18-2019 at 08:31 PM.

Mystic of the Grimoire
    Working on sun lab.. need more A/C portals
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

“So, what about you?” Yn asked Jezibel, having unloaded their gear already. They knew their jobs for the night, so they figured a bit of rest might help. Yn was in the process of setting up the tents when he had asked Jezi, making the woman pause as she was about to head to the cook line. The last week they had been working together, going over lessons and information that he needed, along with anything else she thought relevant. She had avoided telling him anything personal. She had been getting along better with the man, but she was keeping it professional. It was working out rather well, and he learned rather well, though not as fast as Faur. Which shocked her, but more from surprise.

“There's not much to tell. I left my tribe and started my own band.” Jezibel offered up. She could see that Yn wasn't buying any of it. They paused a moment as they could hear a shriek from the woods, accompanied by a chuckle from Yn. He was quick to let her know it was nothing more than a harmless snake that had spooked the young man Jamon. They shared a chuckle before going back to what they were doing.

“So, you just left? Doesn't seem right.” Yn returned to his question, making Jezibel swear under her breath. She has hoped he had forgotten but that was clearly in the wrong.

“My father was not born of the tribe, so we already were one of the lesser members. I hated those stares, so I left.” Jezibel fibbed her history some. He held her look for a moment before giving a sigh and focusing back on making the tent. Figuring that she was in the clear she finally headed back into the line for some food. She corralled three plates. The man ate like Faur at times, yet he was somehow able to remain clean.

“Maybe one day.” Jezibel mumbled to herself as she finished gathering all the foods. She was truthful about her leaving the tribe about because of the stares. Different reason though, as a barren trench wife was just a waste of goods, no more pleasing than a lump of meat. She didn't need to drag him into that mess, nor did she want to drag him into that kind of past. Her team had worked hard to get her this far, and she would do her best to keep moving forward.

“So, ever been on guard duty at night?” Jezibel asked, wanting pull in a different direction. Yn gave a minor sigh as he looked to his food, making Jezi swear under her breath some. How could she had forgotten his own sordid story of why he joined the team.

“Yeah, did it quite a few times. It was the best for watching the stars above.” Yn spoke in forlorn remembrance, just in time for Faur to join them outside the tent.

“Well, we should try to get some sleep. Not sure how much of a trek we'll have tomorrow.” Yn offered up as he finished his second plate. Jezi agreed and moved into the tent, wanting as well to get some rest before their turn on guard.

"Even Dreams, can be a nightmare"
    Spoiler: Click it, I dare ya! 

The Art Vandal

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Decent grammar. Limited cringe. That’s all.
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Impulsion.

Such a notoriously capricious personality trait, it was—one that had rooted itself deeply within Shel during her childhood through the forces of nature and nurture, until it eventually had become one of her more dominant characteristics in adulthood.

And now her impulsion swung like a pendulum within her subconscious, back and forth, back and forth, in endless motion. One one hand, it could be seen as a strength, as no one could ever claim that the orc was afraid to act. However, on the opposite hand, when used in the wrong context, it could influence her to act in foolhardy ways, thus becoming a harbinger of weakness.

Tawny eyes blinking softly, Shel quietly watched Sheva stroll away with Rain even as the lingering adrenalin from their haggling escapade began to wane. Of course, it displeased the orc that she would not be waltzing towards Balder to boast about the deal she had struck for him, but alas. Now she had a bigger fish to fry. Namely, she was mulling over how she could somehow coerce Adam into paying for Rain, as such a premium piece of the Rogue Gallery’s property could not be given away without charge.

Hmmm. Oh well. I’ll figure it out. I always do.

It was unlikely that anyone, including Adam, would notice any sort of discrepancy for a while—if at all. So she probably had time on her side (as well as Balder). These musings caused her to remain unrepentant, and to once more cradle the stunning earrings within her palm, admiring them. Never had she seen anything so exquisite, with such a mysteriously foreign design. It truly was a piece of art that would neatly suit the lobes of any aristocratic lady.

And for the oddest reason, the orcress felt as if the sparkling golden orbs were always somehow meant to be hers.

A short time later, Shel had begun to stride back towards the Rogue Gallery, even as most others were complying with Dagur’s command to vacate. It was all too easy. With everyone heading out towards the roll call, the halls had become empty, leaving the orc confident enough to stroll practically anywhere she wanted on a whim.

So it was not long before she stumbled upon an unattended office that, once inspected, revealed itself to be chock full of booklets that were all expertly bound by calf skin. Shel’s fingers strummed sneakily through the writings until she happened to find the records of accounts. Absolutely delighted with herself at finding, Shel did not hesitate to seize an inkwell and quill to scribble in some text with her weak writing hand.

Adam Dova.
    Acquired the mare called Rain.
    700 gold.
    Fee outstanding.

With that, Shel gave her best attempt at forging the signature of the stable master before placing all writing tools neatly back in their previous locations.

Let Dova pay for the mare with the Tears of the Ice Queen, she thought to herself, cynically.

If such a thing even exists.

Hastily making her exit from the heart of the Rogue’s Gallery, Shel inadvertently passed by the spot that she had first been confronted by Sheva, again noticing the dead rat. How rude it felt to leave the vermin for some poor sod to clean up; so the orc approached the skewered thing, only to fork it up using the butt of the arrow before venturing out into the courtyard.

It was there that she caught sight of Dova and, unable to resist her impulsion to confront him, began to stride towards that particular human with fervour, only to be stopped by the jests of another. The orc regrouped her thoughts at the obvious banter, suddenly feeling an urge to reconsider her overall approach.

“Don’t mind Tristifer,” Shel remarked with a half smile that was meant to reassure Sheva, purposefully using the archer’s full name as she hid the rat behind her back. “He becomes cheeky at his time of the month.”

Or perhaps he just craves your attention?

Pausing at this thought, Shel all of a sudden found herself wondering how Sheva was so easily entertaining Dova’s company. If what she suspected was true, how could this woman stand so placidly beside him, even for a moment? Hadn’t he distressed her, even to the point of carrying her into the Gallery half naked? The orc could not understand her ability to stand beside him so calmly, without wanting to rip his eyes out from their sockets.

Zut, Shel thought to herself in orcish profanity, disappointed at her apparent failure to decipher the peculiar body language of these humans. Perhaps I misread this… er, situation. How convinced she had been by what Sheva said about the man concerning his…

Rage.

Shel raised a single brow, still mildly suspicious.

“But if either of these clowns ever bother you again...” Shel shot back at Tristifer and his talk of a circus, “...you can always come to me and I’ll make sure Balder makes a noose for them out of my tightrope.”

The orc then offered a nod of farewell to Sheva before glancing towards Tristifer with a half smile... but when it came to Dova, she could not bring herself to do anything but cock her head in pensive silence.

A short time later, beneath wide blue skies, Shel was happily waltzing her way towards the stables after realising that it was well past her time to acquire a beast of burden and join the others. She was stopped in her tracks, however, by a male orc who loitered about feeding a mare a peach. Involuntarily, Shel began to experience an onslaught of unpleasant feelings.

Confusion. Abandonment. Weakness.

Each of these stirred within the core of Shel at the sight of Tarrok, so much so that she could not bring herself to approach the stables until the mare had finished its treat, and he’d left with his own hardy stallion. Ever since her arrival amongst the Rogues, she had avoided speaking to that particular one and, for now, preferred it that way.

So once he was gone from sight, Shel emerged from the shadows to retrieve that last mare that remained and, while she had no peach to offer, she did have comforting words in her native orcish.

”I need you to come with me,” she said gently before leading the filly out towards those gathering.

On The Road.

It was easy for all to see that Shel was enjoying herself immensely travelling beside Balder—as throughout the trip she could be seen galavanting and galloping around the giant and his mammoth in a fanciful display of merry trots.

Not only had Balder proven himself to be a great source of protection (as displayed in her initial run in with him), but also quite accommodating and tolerant of her every whim and wile since that time. So even when Shel began to fully run amok in and around the rest of the Rogues as they made way, he did not stop her from alternating between them, back and forth as she pleased.

And least he hadn’t yet.

And Shel could not deny that she was growing quite fond of Balder for it. It felt like freedom. So once Tristifer had called her onto the hunt, she was in quite good spirits, and happily accepted the task.

Late.

In the proverbial eleventh hour, the silhouette of the female orc could be seen in the distance, approaching the camp of the Rogues.

“A snack for the giant,” was all that Shel stated as she walked past the group with a dripping bundle of river trout slung across her back. Retrieving the catch had been quite a time consuming endeavour, but also fruitful enough in the end. By utilising the traditional orcish way of stacking stone to form a dam, she had trapped the fish as they followed the current downstream... before harvesting them, one by one, as easily as ripe fruit.

Shel placed her contribution beside that of the other hunters, and then curiously eyed the ocecat and the snow elf. They were the two who had both insisted on going off alone, Shel remembered, and she truly could not bring herself to understand such an approach to hunting. She was of a culture that more often went after prey as an interdependent unit, with many hunters becoming as one—in the way that had made her kind masters in bringing down the mammoth.

Shrugging, Shel realised it was probably best, as each of their hunting styles were likely as different as their very race and culture. So she simply left those two to their own devices, heading off to wash the stink of fish, passing by the mangled and bloodied boar that had been procured by Mynx.

It looked like overkill.

Where’s Lu? Shel wondered to herself, worriedly picking up her pace.

Last edited by Leanna; 03-01-2019 at 07:03 PM.

RPA's Resident Zombie
    Six feet under, but coming to a theater near you
    Horror/Apocalyptic
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Default CO-Post--Moon and D'na--Pixies in the forest

Mynx had only covered a third of the distance before the sun had set and she grumbled, cursing the weight on her back. She adjusted her load, trying to move the weight more to the left, away from her injury and the throbbing that accompanied it. She was moving through the trees, nearing the clearing where she had caught the rabbit, when she heard a branch snap behind her. The forest went quiet...even the insects stilled their trills. Pausing, she tried to draw in a scent, but the cloying odor of blood and boar was too strong. She glanced behind her, trying to see into the shadows, listened for a repeat of the sound. After a few moments she continued on.

The sound repeated itself when she reached the outer edge of the clearing, this time from multiple places around her. She heard an odd whistling call that was copied, then bounced back from five different locations...all from around her. Somehow she had been surrounded. She stopped, circling, slowly removing the load from her back by allowing the rope to slip off her shoulders, then her arms. As soon as it hit the leafy ground she froze, looking into the darkness for any movement.

"That's right lil' kittie, you leave our piggie right there. We'll take that hide off your back too." A voice to her right said.

She spun, turning towards the voice, a low growl coming from deep within her throat as she tensed, preparing to spring. Laughter started to come from each direction, the sound mixed with whistles and hoots. Then in a second of silence, she heard another noise, one she recognized, the sound of air being displaced by a weapon being thrown. She ducked, rolled, coming up on her feet and starting to run, hearing the twack of a blade as it dug itself into a trunk beside her.

Her first human target appeared on her left and she lept towards him, using a tree to bank her sideways movement, landing hard against his chest. She tore with her claws, ripping into his chest and neck, not waiting to see the result before she turned to find her next quarry. Reason wrestled with anger, she should turn and go, escape, leave her catch behind. But all common sense left her when she saw the men by her kill, their laughter filling her ears. "Mine!" she cried as she charged, directly into their midst, feeling the numbing strike of an object against her side, kicking her back. She rolled, hissing as hands grabbed at her, as her wrists were yanked and twisted behind her, secured before she could resist.

~~~~~

Tristifer swore as a third lockpick broke inside the lockbox. “Sonova… Where did they get this thing?” He muttered as he looked up; His eyes scanning the camp. Rising to his feet, Tris performed another headcount of his hunters and repeated his oath. “God damn cat.”

Grabbing his bow the archer headed in the opposite direction he did when they broke for camp. The human's eyes scanned as he walked. He picked up the cat's quick pace and shook his head. “She better not be napping.”

Ahead of the archer, his gyrfalcon flew. Gliding just above the trees she watching the forest below. The archer below examined tracks and picked his way through the dirt while Arwyn soared gracefully. Spotting their goal, she gave a piercing cry and gliding softly to a branch nearby. Cocking her head Arwyn watched the group beneath her.

At the bird's cry Tristifer turned that way. “Finally.” He muttered to himself before raising his voice and calling as he walked, “Here kitty, kitty, kitty..” Repeating his call, he moved toward the birds call.

~~~~~

Mynx heard the call of Arwyn and redoubled her efforts to break free from the three men that had her pinned to the ground. The one with his knee in her spine and her tail wrapped in his hand was her main problem. The bastard had to weigh almost three hundred pounds and no amount of struggling seemed to dislodge him. She bucked against him again to no effect, still twisting her hands with claws extended against the other two buffoons, their continued failure to get her hands retied her only advantage. She had managed to slip one hand out of their rope already and despite their efforts, they had not rebound it.

"Get her tied!" the large man on her back growled, "..how hard can it be? She one cat."

The sound of grumbling was met with a hiss and another yelp. "Lil' bitch! ...keeps scratching me..."

"Twitch her ear and get it done. We need to get back." He responded, twisting Mynx's tail in his grip, only stopping when she cried out.

There was a moment of silence as the smaller bandit reached forward, attempting to grab her ear as suggested, then the man was cursing, shaking his hand and holding it against his shirt. "She bit me...G** damn!"

There was a transfer of weight on Mynx's back, then her arm was shoved higher, held in a vise-like grip. "Oh for fuck's sake, give me the rope," the big man demanded, finally managing to do himself what the other two couldn't.

The ocecat didn't resist as she was pulled to her feet, her attention now on the forest, searching for the man whose voice she had just heard. So far the four bandits had not heard him, and she hoped he wasn't fool enough to announce himself again and give them a heads up.

When the fourth man joined them, he was shaking his head, looking at Mynx with restrained menace. "Henry's throat's ripped out...cat got 'em good. Looks like it's just us heading back." He moved closer to her, putting his face into hers. "I'm going to enjoy getting your pelt kitty," he said in a low tone. "Get 'er moving."

While two of the bandits moved towards her boar, Mynx took that moment to shove backwards against her captor, digging her nails into the ground for added traction. She felt his back hit the intended target, a large pine behind them, and she relaxed, allowing herself to be turned around and pushed against it. Rough hands forced her bound arms higher and she bit back a cry, a low growl taking its place.

"You be sorry you did that," she said, her voice coming out strained from the weight against her. She had him right where she wanted him, his back a perfect target. She could only hope the damn archer was close enough to take advantage.

The bow came up and an arrow was nocked, but the archer frowned. His eyes took in the sight before him again. If he capitalized the body would fall forward against the cat; Which would leave her open to the other three. Tris was sure he could get the three of them quickly. Would it be quick enough though?

The bow dropped, the arrow returned to its bag. Tris slung his bow and grabbed a brownish berry and a pair of leaves. The archer crept forward rolling the berry between the leaves. His arm swung back then snapped forward. The berry hit the man holding the cat at the nape of his neck with a wet squelch. A foul smell drifted forward and a voice came from a different direction. “Pixies, am I right?”

“You should hope that was an acorn.” Tristifer said, his voice sounding oddly cheerful, and his eyes were a little unfocused. “If it's excrement it means they don't like you and you should drop everything and run.”

“Excrement?” One of the three goons asked.

Tris’ voice briefly sounded normal as he explained with a word. “Shit.”

The big man holding Mynx growled and turned toward the unassociated human. “You lying sa- What's that smell?”

“Excrement.” The dumb bandit said smugly.

“Ut oh,” Tris said. “Better let the kitty and her stuff go.”

The bigger bandit shook his head. “She owes us her ass.”

“Voluntarily?” Tris asked. When his only answer was a variety of grins, the archer shook his head and turned to Arwyn as she trilled questioningly. “You heard them, I told you the pixies would have to.”

The bird chirruped a response, and the archer put a hand to his chest. “Only one? Fine.”

One of the three bandits leaned close to a comrade and quietly spoke. “If we kill him now no one will miss the crazy bastard. And his stuff looks better than what we have.” The other two nodded and started forward.

Arwyn let out a piercing shriek and Tristifer spun. The bandit who spoke yelped in pain as a blade appeared in his leg. Tristifer stood seemingly unarmed and the dumb bandit yelled and started to charge forward. The archer thrust a hand out forward and snapped the fingers on his free hand.

The big bandit's hand moved from Mynx's arms, and he dropped to his knees. With a gurgle he fell to the side, a blade sticking up from his slowly darkening throat. The blade quivered slightly then stopped. “Better let the kitty go…” Tris said.

“We still outnumber him.” one of the bandits stated. Tristifer pointed to the knife in the man's leg. The blade pulsed almost violently as the man stared in fear.

“The pixies want the cat. So let her keep what's hers.” Tristifer stated that crazy edge to his voice. “So untie her, get your friend and leave.”

Arwyn chirruped, and Tris added. “Oh, and leave your pants. The pixies deserve a pelt…. You should probably strip before you untie her, she does have claws you know.”

“Not that she's gonna use them.” He finished pitching his voice for sharper ears.

A warning for her? Mynx wondered as she finally was able to draw in a deep breath and take a look around. She allowed her bound arms to drop from her upper back to her waist, the knots in the rope already frayed and loosened from her work at them with her claws. She had torn two of the nails from their beds, but as yet did not feel any discomfort from the pain. There was so much blood on her, what was a little more.

Shaking her head, Mynx turned her attention now to the remaining three bandits, a low growl already starting in her throat. They looked indecisive, none of them making a move towards her or the removal of their clothing. They looked up in the trees, at Tris, each other, then her. Finally their eyes went to their downed companion, the muscle of the group. The man with a blade jutting from his leg was the first to unbutton his trousers, grumbling whilst he did so, but getting the job done after extracting the knife. The other two followed suit, but with reluctance.

Once the three stood, sans pants, they stared at each other again.

"Ain't no such thing as Pixies," one of the buffoons said in a low tone. "It's a trick, I tell ya'. We still outnumber them." He glanced at the other two men, not seeing the conviction he hoped they would share. "Fuck all. You a bunch of lame ass..."

He stopped mid-sentence as Mynx stated to advance, her wrists finally freed by her own hands. Her growl was louder now, and she followed it with a hiss. She could take three, and these bandits would be easy for the picking, even in her current state. Thanks to Tris there was fear brewing in each of them, coupled with uncertainty and confusion. Unfortunately for her, the men decided against further interaction, they had enough of this little game, and with one more look to the archer and the cat, they turned tail and started running through the trees.

Mynx stared, a desire to pursue strong on her mind, but instead she turned to Tris, looking at him quizzically now that she could concentrate on something other than the danger that was currently fleeing from them. She moved to him, locking eyes and gently taking his chin in her hand. She turned his head from side to side, matching the movement, then sniffing at him, a soft purr starting in her chest. She rubbed her cheek to his, then released him, finally satisfied that he wasn't sick or injured in any way. She glanced once more in the direction the bandits had fled, then at her boar, a sigh escaping her lips.

Tristifer stood looking a little crazy as the bandits debated their final stand. The human watched them depart, and raised an eyebrow as the cat approached and grabbed his chin. The eyebrow turned into smirk as her heard the purr, and they rubbed cheeks. “You're welcome I guess.”

The archer stepped back behind the nearest tree and retrieved his bow. “You are also late. So hope you can carry that thing.” He motioned to the boar before turning to Arwyn. “Thank you my favorite smart bird.”

He made a motion with a hand and the bird trilled questioningly. “Yes you are.” The archer laughed resting his bow on his shoulder before starting back to camp.

Mynx watched as Tris walked away then reached down to retrieve her axe and other weapons that had been discarded while she was pinned. She scoffed, "..not late...held up...not same," she mumbled. She moved over to the body of the large man by the pine and nudged him with her food, bending to yank the blade from his throat and rifle through his pockets. Finding nothing of worth, she picked up the archers other knife and placed them both into her pocket before standing before her boar.

Mumbling again, she squatted down and slipped the shoulder straps made from the rope onto her arms and shrugged them up. She braced herself for the beast's weight and started to rise slowly, her hand going to the wound on her leg. A sharp pain in her ribs made her pause and she cursed the bandits as she finally managed to stand completely upright. She hated the thought that they were still out there...her instinct telling her to follow and finish what they started. She let out a frustrated huff then turned in the direction of Tristifer and Arwyn.

In a short while she was at his side, sparing him a brief look before she matched his pace. They walked the two miles in relative silence, the ocecat keeping her eyes on the forest, refusing to be surprised again. As soon as the camp was in sight, she took the blades from her pocket and placed them in his hand. "I thank for aid--maybe not need--but given, so I owe one to you." She nodded then left his side, stopping briefly to drop the boar by the wagon. She pulled the rabbit from her belt and looked at it, deciding she was going to eat it after all, even if it was a little flattened by the ox that sat on her. She tore into it with her teeth, walking towards her tent and slipping inside without another word.

Poppa Squirrel
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)

Default The Trek Begins - More Than Meets The Eye

Having spent another hour speaking to those around Balefire, Ky had determined the most likely direction the young child would be traveling with those he rides with. The man Hawk confirmed enough to know that his sister also rides with the Rogues. It was a brief conversation with those who hired him for Ky to convince his employer’s liaisons to remain within Balefire while he continued on by himself. Stuffy royal escorts would only slow him down, also, should they cross paths with his sister, she or Ky would probably remove their life. No, this final journey would be his alone to make.

Ky would push his mount to make up the week travel advantage the child has on him. Groups do tend a slower pace and make more stops for supplies and rest breaks, the size of the party described riding out worked to his advantage too. Even the most experienced travelers move slower as more are added to their travel party size. Listening to others that were in town planning ventures of their own, Ky was confident that he would be able to locate those the child travels with within two to three days time.

It was a fast pushed ride this first day. As the sun begins to retreat behind the skyline, Ky slows his pace looking for a secluded area for his mount and himself to take a couple hour rest. He would continue such a pace until he picked up the scent of travelers. He also would not look for signs of recent travel until at least day two of travel, once he is able to locate those traveling with the child, only then would he rest and meditate before confronting his sister. She may not understand just who this child she rides with is. Knowing she has familiarity with Royals and the scheming they are infamous for, once explained all he was told about this child, she might not stand in his way while he removes the current life this child borrows, mayhap the child would have a better life when reborn.

Ky finds a small area suitable for rest as he lays out a tightly wrapped roll to the ground. His rest will be brief before he continues his journey, however for now, rest.

Signature created by the awesome .Karma.

Spoiler: Looking for a Story to Join? 

RPA's Resident Zombie
    Six feet under, but coming to a theater near you
    Horror/Apocalyptic
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Default CO--Storm and Moon--Bonding Time

Having relaxed a short period after Faur showed him a more effective way for felling trees, Jamon’s back was still aching, however strangely it was a pain he did not mind. As he was in thought on how his master was fairing on her hunt, he heard the flaps of the tent open before casting a gaze in that direction. A gasp momentary escaped as he saw Mynx covered in blood, still tearing part of a rabbit in her teeth. Biting at his lower lip, he grabbed a rag and cautiously approached her nervously asking,
    “What can I do Miss Mynx? Are you hurt, I do know some healing techniques.”

Well, his experience had always been watching as his caretakers aided others but he thought he recalled enough where he might be of some use.

“Not my blood,” she said in response, giving her ward a wary glance. “Need go clean. You come.” She tossed the remains of the rabbit to the floor of the tent, ripping off a piece of ragged fur from their coverings and taking Jamon by the wrist. “Need to do exercise to make strong. Will go to creek with me.”

She walked out of the tent only a few moments after entering, bringing Jamon with her. She released his wrist once they were outside, the early twilight lit well enough by the moon and stars for easy navigation. She made her way to the water, only looking behind her once to make sure he was following.

Accustomed to being dragged and ordered at a moments notice, Jamon reluctantly trailed Mynx wondering what was in store this trip. As they approached the water, thoughts went through his mind on if Mynx was going to have him practice running while in the creek, perhaps doing sword practice while submerged. That awful girl Su Lin already had him in the habit of keeping his sword and dagger with him every waking moment, and he slept with a minimum of his dagger. If she appeared even in sleep and he had no steel, as she called those horrid things, she would slap his palms. Jamon looked to Mynx still wondering what training he was going to be subjected to this time. Absent any whine in his tone, he would get corrected on - well, punished for - but Mynx called it correcting, he inquired,

“What is my training this evening Miss Mynx?”

Ignoring him, Mynx dipped her hands into the cold water and pulled them out immediately with a low growl. Tentatively she submerged them again and cupped the water to wash her face, displeasure obvious in her expression. She used the fur she had brought to run water through her hair, shivering against the cold that ran down her back.

“No like...you do. Clean first, then train.” She handed the dripping skin to Jamone and removed her weapons, then unbuttoned her one-piece outfit, lowering it to her waist. She kneeled on the ground with a grunt, then moved her hair out of the way so he could wash her back.

Having watched Mynx’s reaction to the creek water, he stepped back as she handed the dripping fur to him. He offered “Wait one moment Miss Mynx... “

This time he did not wait for her response as he turned and ran to the wagon looking quickly inside and grasping a thin pot. He then ran to the main camp fire carefully grasping a small branch that was partially flamed. He quickly returned to the creek setting the burning branch on the ground placing a few additional branches around allowing the flame to grow. He removed his sword placing the blade through the handle of the pot already partially filled with water before holding the pot over the flame. This was something his servants had done often knowing they would be punished if they cast cold water on him, perhaps the first useful thing he could bring to his master drifted through his mind.

As the water warmed, he dipped the fur inside before turning to Mynx allowing the water to drip down her back. Silently he began to run the fur along her back such as his servants had done for him. The difference was he only had dust to be cleaned, his master had blood. His hand could feel obvious scratches along her back so he took additional care not to rub the areas too hard.

With a roll of her shoulders, the ocecat stood, the warmer water definitely an improvement, but she was still wet. She wrung the water from her hair, then took the cloth from him to wash her arms and chest, not needing his assistance for the front. She stepped out of her clothes completely, kicking the bloody suit to the side and casually looked to the camp. Hopefully she was far enough away from prying eyes or she would hear about this from Adam. Modesty be damned she thought as she washed the front of her legs, then handed Jamon the rag again, turning her back to him once more.

Having seen her without clothes Jamon no longer blushed that much. As he dipped the rag in the water to warm it again, he started to clean the back of her legs, ringing the fur so not to bloody the water too much. He continued with both legs before coming around and standing before her, handing the rag back. He stepped closer remembering the time they spent a week past.

With a raised brow, Mynx regarded the young man, no stranger to what was on his mind. She shook her head, giving him a reproachful look. There was still his training to contend with before any other thoughts would be considered. Still wet and uncomfortable, she pushed the water from her fur, deciding a little time in the open air would help to dry her out.

With a firmness she had adopted when dealing with him, she put her hands on his shoulders and turned him around, facing him towards a large tree fairly close to the stream. “Climb tree first...then maybe share warmth,” she stated with a hint of amusement.

Jamon went where he was led, no longer questioning what the awful girl or Mynx would tell him to do. As he reached the tree, he looked up at a branch and jumped up to grab it. He knew that the bark was rough however for some reason, his hands don’t react in pain as he grabbed it and pulled himself up. This seemed similar to what the awful girl had him do, hit that rock, grab that tree, thrust your fingers in the dirt, never understanding, just doing, now he grabbed a rough branch without hurting the inside of his hands. Leaning against the base of the tree, he looked down toward Mynx, somewhat amazed at the view and that he was actually able to do this without falling.

She followed him up, the pain in her leg slowing her down, but not hindering her ability to climb. She continued to urge him higher, until they were close to the top, the branches thinning out. She leaned out, looking over the land, then turned to him. “Go out on branch and sit,” she said pointing to a thicker limb that could support their weight. “Keep one hand on upper branch and place feet on lower. Keep balance and not fall. Then lay back.”

A week ago, he would have protested, would even have refused such a request or demand. This seemed no different than what the awful girl had him doing all week, stepping on wet logs in streams, the first few days always he would fall only to have Su Lin grab him and send him back on the log. Over time, he was able to stay on his feet, after four days, it seemed easier and he had not fallen. This would be easy as the branch did not have water flowing over it nor the awful girl speaking tormenting words as he stepped out.

Without holding the branch over him, yet keeping aware of where it was, he stepped out on the branch and slowly moved to the middle where he could hear the creaking of the branch. Rather it be flowing water or a creaking branch, he at least did not have Su Lin’s tormenting words to tend with this time. He laid on the branch, this being a new experience he did steady himself, awaiting his next instruction.

Mynx could see improvement in the boy’s balance and in his willingness to follow instruction. It seemed Su Lin’s work with him was beneficial. On her end, she mostly focused on his strength training, soon to follow would be target practice with an axe and knife. She did not excel in swordplay, the talent being left to others to teach him. She nodded approvingly then swung around the trunk and stepped over towards him.

She was finally dry and feeling a bit more limber as she stepped out onto the branch where he lay and looked down at him. “You need hold branch--always one hand on tree.” She edged closer until she could sit right in front of him, her legs situated on either side and supported by the branch below. She cocked her head at him, a teasing smile on her lips.

As instructed, Jamon grabbed onto the branch for support looking up to Mynx. Though high in the tree, he did not feel nervous for once. He closed his eyes and relaxed.

The boy could be daft, but the ocecat didn’t press the invitation, rising back to her feet and starting to climb down to retrieve her outfit. She would need to wash it and wear it wet back to camp, not the best solution, but she couldn’t just walk through naked. At least not without drawing too much attention.

Once she was on the ground, she called up to the boy to join her, not waiting for him to do so. She had the slightest bit of a limp and her hand went to her ribs as she knelt before the stream, listening for Jamon as she cleaned her clothes. The discomfort was worsening, the activity not helping with her wounds. She looked up once, seeing that he had climbed down successfully. Before he could move to her side, she put up a hand.

“Go to camp. Eat if not done so and meet me in tent.” She stood up, stretching carefully while enjoying the feel of the light wind through her soft layer of fur. It was a shame humans had such a thing for clothes...they were uncomfortable and confining. With a grumble, she wrung out her body suit and slipped into it, grabbing up her weapons then making her way to the tent where she was to meet Jamon. She stripped down again and sat on the double layer of furs they had set on the ground with a grimace, deciding to clean her axe and blades while she waited. Jamon entered shortly afterwards, and she set down her things and pulled back the furs, her intent obvious. She wasn’t going to let a little discomfort stop her from sharing warmth.

As soon as Jamon removed his clothes and joined her, she leaned into him, a soft purr following the action. She was gentler than normal, both for his sake and hers, shallow punctures from her claws on his upper back the only marks left behind. She rolled onto her side immediately afterwards and fell asleep, the noise from the camp not hindering her need for rest in the least bit.

Arch-angel of Epica
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)

After she helped to clean up the food trays and plates, Sheva sneaked away to a remote location which was a safe distance from their small camp. Far enough to have privacy, but close enough for them to hear her and pin point on her location.

She dragged a medium size wooden barrel with her and filled it up with water to a half, while gathering some coals and lightning them with fire and dry branches right under a giant tree with many branches. Once the small tube was set, she waited for the water to warm a bit before removing her clothes. She first bathed quickly without wetting her hair, which she picked up as she entered the tube and started to wash herself. She began to clean herself in all the private areas, putting extra attention to the skin under her chest and under her armpit, happy to be relived of the stench of their long day walk.

The water were sadly not warm enough for her, but they in good enough heat to apply for a short, hairless decent wash. Once she was done she dressed herself in a more comfortable underclothes and began to wash her traveling outfit in the water, rubbing them with oily soap and other herbs. Once she was done she hanged them over the tree's branches, letting the coals which still burnt red from her bath to dry them. She also used the time to tilt the tube on to the side, emptying it from water, and using rocks to keep it in place, leaving it to dry as well.

Once she was done, she covered her body with a blanket and placed a small table before her, upon which she put a tiny candle, a sheet of paper, ink bottle, a feather and a magnifying glass. She began to work as she dipped the tip of the feather into the dark liquid, sprinkling the ink some before beginning to draw symbols and carefully writing the chant on the paper. As some of the wording were complicated and needed extreme caution she needed the glass to make sure she was not confusing the letters, or making them into something else altogether. The ancient words of the summoning were delicate and beautiful, but any small error could cause disaster or render the spell useless.

It was a cold night. The coals whispered as they flickered a tiny flame, which was a comfortable music along with the company of the heat emerging from it. She was used to work in a better environment than this and she was also very tired, but she had to have at least one spelling scroll done tonight.

Once she finished her work, which took a long while, she blew off the candle and carefully unpacked the items as she got up and stretched. The hanged clothes looked dry enough so she began to throw sands at the coils, quieting the fire. She then removed one glove and shivered as the breeze of the night touched her right bare hand. She wanted to immediately put back the glove, but decided against it, telling herself it will only last a short moment.

She crouched as her hand began to touch the flora around her. Small flowers, some grass, small animals. She felt their energy, their life force flowing right into her hands and into her body. It was not enough but it would have to do.

She then removed a small sack of gems and began to touch four identical topazes, filling each of them with energy. However the third one began to crack and soon it broke completely, "OH NO!", she gasped and began to curse and stamp her foot on the ground with anger. She sighed with frustration and instead of trying again she simply threw the other three stones and closed the sack. She placed the clothes on her shoulder as she began to drag the now dry tube back to the camp.

The Art Vandal

Decent grammar. Limited cringe. That’s all.
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Default A Quiet Night

Vel had stationed herself at the far end of the camp where she could see the coming and goings of everyone and keep an eye on the less used part of the camp site. At least for the moment. Dinner would be on soon and once everyone was settled down to eat she'd go walking about the edge of camp on her watch. For now she kept her axe in one hand and the pot in the other letting her hazy brown eyes wander the area from under her hood.

She watched as Sheva and Ash spoke to the giant, able to catch some of the Giants words from across the camp but not what Sheva and the vampire were saying. She had the strangest feeling that her name might have been mentioned more then once. Her attention was taken by Tris and his bounty he brought back, a cow, some chickens and a lock box. She could only wounder where he'd gotten it but she hopped at the very least he was stealing stolen goods. Jamon and the Extremely large deer had returned with plenty of wood. She was glad to see the young man getting along well enough but she knew enough of a pampered upbringing to know that he was just one such individual. It would be a rough adjustment but at least he had teachers unlike herself.

Vel shifted her attention elsewhere in the camp servaying the rest of the camp. Yn and Jezibel were setting up a tent before settling down to eat some. Vel would likely skip a meal tonight if it didn't draw to much attention to herself. She couldn't help watching the two for a moment as she wondered how the night would go patrolling with the Dusha kin.

Once the orc had relinquished her catch, she began to make her way towards the opposite end of the camp to find Lu—only to soon become distracted by a dark, secluded glen that stood beside a creek. Allured by its sound and compelled by its calmness, Shel thought of how different it was from the choppy river rapids she had flung herself into earlier.

It was just so beautiful. Perhaps it was the moonlight? How it shone on the waters somehow made the orc feel oddly content, more so than she had felt in quite a long time. In fact, it almost left her wanting to unceremoniously strip down to her skivvies and dive in for a float around. It was times like these that made Shel realise that sometimes she just needed quiet, to just get away for a while.

The orc veered away from the urge to hop in, however, as her attention was again diverted by a slight din in the distance. From the corner of her eye, she noted the subtle movements and a bit of mumbling coming from two silhouettes that were ascending a tree some way beyond.

This caused her to abandon all hopes of bathing for now (at least until she could afford a bit more privacy), convincing the orc to veer back up towards the camp, her body and raiment still strongly smelling of fish.

As more and more people were settling down to eat Vel took slow steps around the outside of the camp, taking moments to glance inside the camp before she'd return her gaze to the outside of camp. She could hear the trickle of the stream some ways off behind her, leaves stirring in an ever so faint breeze. Moonlight dappled the forest floor through the gaps in the trees and ground quietly shuffled under her feet as she moved.

She looked back into camp in time to see Jamon leave with Mynx towards the little stream not far off before she turned to look into the quite woods. Her undead eyes could see well into the darkness, any untrained would be attacker would be hard pressed not to be seen by her. But with such a large group, plus a giant Vel wasn't all that concerned with the group being in trouble. She paused for a moment thinking she'd heard a shuffle before cocking her head in the direction, just past her hood she could see a figure and by the way it moved up to her she knew it must be a friendly, in fact it was the she orc she'd seen from a distance working with Balder. Vel turned fully to the women trying to settle down in a relaxed pose with her axe at one side and a lightly held pot in the other. Still the approaching figure made her nervous, most people did not intend to approach a figure, friend or foe, without confronting them, usually with a question but always something that needed a response.

Whilst stomping away from the creek, Shel happened upon Velaire—the hooded figure whom she had already encountered a number of times since her arrival at the Gallery—and decided to close the distance between them.

"Leave it to an ocecat and a man pet to ruin a perfectly peaceful night for a moonlight swim," the orc openly complained to the mute, resting her haunches down quite moodily beside her. "Gah, and I reek," was then bluntly stated by the orc, who now had an obvious look of disgust on her face.

Knowing this one to be voiceless, Shel carried on in conversation alone, never expecting any sort of reaction from the strange mute. Even so, the orc had to admit that there was something quite nice about the fact this one did not speak… because for once it almost felt as if someone was actually listening.

"I spent the first half of the day riding, and the second half toiling in a river."

A short silence passed between the two women, leaving Shel to become even more contemplative.

"Though you must be on guard."

Vel was a little bewildered as the she-orc planted herself beside her and began to speak, rather with out a question and didn't seem to want to much of a response. She shifted lightly but looked at the women listening quietly. It was unusual but Vel couldn't complain really. She cocked her head. In a river? after a moment of thought she gave something of a soft nod seeming to understand. She did smell of fish... Though Vel wasn't sure she could complain about smelling bad...

Vel nodded mutely once more as she commented on her being on guard duty and quickly glanced off into the dark woods before back to the women unsure if she should pull her book and quill free... but then it was dark, while she was certain the orc women could see well enough in the dark she doubted it be well enough to see her writing. Vel shifted again and gazed down at the women before glancing off into the camp.

Tilting her head slightly, the orc studied the hooded woman once more in that shared silence, wondering why this person chose to keep herself so heavily cloaked. It was quite the enigma.

You must be hideously ugly, Shel thought rather smugly, puffing herself up a tad while secretly wondering if this is how the beautiful Sheva felt… well, all the time, around everyone.

How pathetic.

Shel had met many a troll and goblin in her life, none of whom were considered very pleasing to the eyes, and yet, even they would never hide what they were from the world. That was a sort of honesty that Shel could respect. Not this sort of hiding.

Then Shel's imagination began to run a bit more wild.

But what if she was deformed through some great tragedy?

The orc then imagined a once beautiful woman who was now a shell of her former self; perhaps marred and scarred after being caught in some horrible fire?

Or what if she is infectious?

This time she imagined this person before her to be covered in boils, abscesses, and pustules from head to toe. What an unpleasant thought that was, to be sure, and even more so an unpleasant existence.

This was when Shel began to notice a pungent odour emanating from Vel more arudously than ever, which convinced her that it was not her own aroma that was most offensive. She needed to do something to distract her from… that smell…

But she too hoped to escape those sounds.

Over the last few minutes, an assortment of animalistic growls had been coming from up inside a not-too-distant tree, and while Shel found herself trying to ignore it, that task was becoming increasingly difficult. (Yet she refused to move because, as far she was concerned, she was here first.)

The distinct growls failed to cease as Shel had initially hoped, however, and instead escalated in both passion and frequency. This unwelcome background noise was soon punctuated by the moan of some male, whose expressions of pleasure were so awkward and unconfident that it made the orc visibly twitch a little.

Oh, for fuck's sake!

Shel definitely had no desire to be this close to someone's clumsy coupling scenario.

Nope.

"Care to go? They're making my ears bleed, but I'd rather not go investigate."

Consequently, the huntress rose to her feet once more to head back towards the camp… of course expecting that Vel would follow.

Vel Didn't know what was going through the She-orcs mind but she stood suddenly and mentioned that Mynx and her charge were bothering her and asked if she would come along. Vel blinked as she marched off back towards camp. Vel shuffled forward before pausing, looking back into the dark forest. the camp was still fairly awake but she was still supposed to be keeping watch. After a moment of hesitation Vel followed the Orc though her eyes kept roving the camp grounds and its edge.

Heading straight towards the first fire that she found in the camp, the orc shooed away two skinny teenagers (who Shel recognised as apprentice stableboys for the Rogues).

"EK GAN," she demanded in her stark orcish, only to soon notice this as a blunder. Correcting herself so to speak in the more common tongue so that they could actually understand her, Shel said, "Er, I mean… get lost!"

Surprisingly, the two lads listened to her and abandoned their makeshift fire.

Shrugging at how effective her words had been, Shel happily took over it.

Well, that was easy.

Fire.

A most wild element, it was.

One that consumed more often than it purified.

And hopefully it will help cover up our scents, Shel mused, coughing at the bit of smoke that began to waft in her direction, thankful for its ability to completely overwhelm all senses. She had sat herself on one side of the blaze after gesturing for Vel to sit on the other, and then grabbed a small stick to stir its embers while she picked up her conversation with the hooded woman.

"I don't know why I talk to you so openly," she continued on with a light sigh.

Actually, I know exactly why.

"You never have anything to say. You just... listen and, believe it or not, that's actually my favourite thing about you. I'm tired of words. I'm tired of opinions, factions, falsehoods, games. I'm tired of people who don't mean what they say, or say what they mean."

Shel stirred the embers a small bit more...

"Yet you say nothing."

...and then dismissively tossed the stalk into the fire, watching it burn as the fire crackled and popped, turning a green, once living thing into gray ash. It was at this time that an unexpected thought sparked within Shel.

"Can you even hear?"

It was a genuine question from the orc, one that was perhaps better left unanswered, because how foolish she herself would feel talking this entire time to a deaf person. Because for all she knew, this hooded woman was just some mute, deaf, ugly, deformed, diseased… thing.

Vel shifted uncomfortably, she didn't know why the orc women talked to her so openly either but as she went on vel couldn't help but feel a ping of hurt at her words. even though technically it was a complement... she guessed? It wasn't as if she didn't say anything because she didn't want to. But she supposed it was what it was and perhaps the the She-orc didn't mean any harm by it.

Vel shifted again as Shel asked if she could even hear her before she slowly crouched down next to her for a moment. Hesitating as she thought over what the Orc women said about her having nothing to say. She supposed if that was helpful then it was okay however she wasn't sure if she did respond if Shel would withdraw her willingness to speak so openly. Vel wasn't very social and even this was slightly nerve wracking but she didn't really want to chase people away either. After a moment of debating Vel reached down and drew in the dirt a simple response to her question. "Yes."

Ah.

So this hooded mystery could hear.

It was now obvious to Shel that it was her tongue that ailed.

"Well, that's good to know. At least I haven't been talking to no one."

Shifting to sit a bit more comfortably, Shel did not see a point in stopping now. It felt good to talk, and even more so when she didn't have an onslaught of opinions thrown back like fireballs at everything she said.

"I also see that you can write. So please don't be penning to others the things I say to you. I just find you quite easy to talk to, if you haven't already noticed, but I can become as distant and silent and unapproachable as you are if I don't trust."

Immediately following this thought, a very exposed ocecat began to stride along in the seeable distance, causing Shel to pause for a moment with one brow raised slightly. Jamon, like some lost pup, was not far behind.

"I had a hunch it was them," Shel confided in Vel, each woman having an uncomfortably clear view of the female ocecat in her full glory.

"But I have to admit I feel sorry for that Jamon one. Do you ever just want to shake someone by the shoulders and tell them wake up? To have some self respect? He's just so pitiful to watch. It sometimes makes me want to… oooh!"

Placing her hand very close to the fire, Shel pulled out two now-perfectly cooked trout.

"Those lads have made our supper, it seems."

Vel was then handed one of the fillets just as Shel began to hungrily consume the other.

"Geh, and they took these from my catch. I had said this was for Crag."

The hooded undead set quietly as the she-orc went on. She put her hand up shyly and waved to ease the orcs mind. she had no business spreading other peoples words. It wasn't as if she interacted with the others overly much either so she had nothing to fear. Just as the Orc finished Mynx and Jamon were in full view of the pair by the fire, the Ocecat didn't really seem to care much for clothing if she could help it, feeling just as comfortable if not more so in just her furs. She returned her gaze to Shel as she spoke about Jamon.

She wasn't sure she wanted to throttle the poor boy as Shel suggested. More so she felt pity for him. having lived a soft life and not knowing anything more doing things for himself was... difficult now. She understood all to well what he might be going through, she was just glad he didn't have to go through it the same way she had. Vel blinked as the Orc plucked two fish from the fire and suddenly felt a little guilty for having let the she-orc shew the two off, though they had probably been able to get food else where in the camp. Taking the fish handed to her Vel watched the Orc eat resting the pot in front of her and laying her axe over her knees but she didn't remove her scarf and simply held the cooked fish silently.

Shel took another bite of her meal, failing to notice that her company was not also partaking, as it was the weak-willed Jamon who currently held her undivided attention. He was obviously being touted along by the ocecat still, she noted, before she turned to retrieve her flask of orcish spirits.

"I'd rather be forever alone than pine after anyone like he does," she rambled on in a hushed tone, almost as if she was speaking only to herself now. So much so that her words began to mix with bits of orcish, leaving Vel only able to discern pieces of what was being said; like crumbs falling from whispers that declared a desire to never be forced to do anything against her own will, and having control of herself at all times, in every situation.

Eventually, the orc extended a hand to Vel, offering the flask.

"Why don't you try this? I doubt you've ever tasted anything so strong. It's quite… pungent."

Now that the ocecat and her pet had ceased their games, it became obvious that Shel felt able to more comfortably enjoy the surrounding environment. She had become more relaxed than ever, even to the point of leaning back so that she could gaze up at the dark skies above.

Orcish wasn't something Vel knew much of but through the broken common and the few words she did understand she caught it sounded as if she was a little rebellious to the usual Orcish ways at least what she knew of them. but to be honest some of the books with in the collection had been rather bias... towards other races. Whatever she was mumbling to herself Vel had the feeling that it wasn't meant for her ears.

Vel blinked as she offered her her flask Vel slowly took it as she thought over what an Orcish brew might be like but Shel promised it be strong and that's what Vel liked now a days. She stuck the stick into the ground holding the fish and took the flask. It probably be rude to decline, and even if she could Shel on with strength she'd much rather not offend her. turning her head slightly she lowered her scar and took a swig and letting out a long satisfied breath. Strong! just like she said, not the usual kind of blend, satisfyingly different. She pulled her scarf back up over her face and handed the flask back.

With a wave of her hand, the orc signaled for Vel to place the spirits down anywhere.

"Or help yourself to more, if you prefer. You are working as guard under Adam Dova, yes? You might need all that you can get, haahh."

Shel felt a slight impulsion to ask Vel what kind of man her leader was, but she supposed the response was too complex to legibly write about in the dirt.

Besides, this night was peaceful without him, or those thoughts. Why spoil her contented mood by mulling over Sheva's words once more? So Shel shelved her queries about that hidden crown prince for the night, forgetting.

"Are you familiar with constellations? We orcs have our own legends about them."

Shel raised her right hand towards eastern skies, pointing.

"There is an orc berserker grappling a bear."

She then guided Vel's eyes to the west.

"Those stars represent a mother nursing her twins, one at each breast. But if you ask me, I just don't see it. What is that star? The nipple!? Seriously, who thought up this nonsense?"

Then the focus went to the southern skies.

"That one is… oh, actually, nevermind. I'll, er, spare you the details."

That southern constellation was said to show two orcs partaking in sensual wrestling, so to speak, and had lore behind it that was said to explain the reasons behind the orcish mating rituals. Such things were better left unsaid to the modest ear, though.

So she finally referred to the north.

"This one is most important, and I'm sure you know of it. Perhaps you even have your own legend of it? Can you see those three stars that are in triangular formation? The orcish refer to that as the Spear of the Bone Crusher, and the largest star burning at its zenith is the tip. He is one of the great orcs of myth, and the most known folk story in my tribe. But there are so many variations to it now that it's difficult for me to even believe he was ever real. But his spear shows the way north, guiding those who are lost… unmoving, unperturbed, unchanging."

After that particular story, Shel became so suddenly sleepy that she had very little else to say, except…

"We should do this… more often…"

Then with that, Shel's eyes lowered slowly as her chest began to rise and fall, softly. She was entering a deep slumber, one that was more calm and quiet than she was used to.
    Last edited by Leanna; 03-05-2019 at 07:30 PM.

art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable

- banksy

Red Ninja
    Fantasy is my best, but I can do and like just about everything.
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Default Shit hit the fan GM Mover!

Dinner and the early evening passed without further incident. No bandits came hunting for them, no thunderstorm drowned them out and washed them down the road. Adam rubbed his eyes slowly letting out a loud yawn as he moved towards the center of the camp to get some late night food before he goes to bed.

Tristifer sat cross legged near the fire, using the light to assist in feeling his way through the lock. His eyes flickered to Adam as the man yawned. “Will you keep it down, some of us are still working.”

Adam chuckled. "Yes stealing cattle and chickens when you should've been hunting for food is real work." He walked up and plucked the box from Tris's hand examining it he lifted the butt of his dagger and smashed the lock open looking at the contents. "Well, well this'll buy us some nice supplies."

"Subtle," Tristifer muttered as the brute broke the lock. "And those chickens lay eggs, and if it weren't for your beggar queen we'd have had a nice steak for dinner. The idiot I stole her from had her calf for dinner recently."

Tris shifted through the coins and expensive items inside the chest finding a series of papers. "Since you broke the lock and thus lowered the value of the box maybe this will be worth something."

Adam shrugged looking over the Archer's shoulder studying the treasures. "Eh what's the fun of being subtle? And as I heard it Balder sent the cow away not Sheva. Besides the box was a cheap fake and you know it. You sure the clowns you stole this from won't come looking?" He asked picking up a fine gold banded ring with a silver jewel of some kind in it placing it down to look over later.

"After her royal pain whined about it for several minutes." Tris acknowledged then raised an eyebrow. "So first the merchant calls my eye for animals into question, and now you call not just my eye for valuables, but my lockpicking skills into question. I guess its time to retire, I'll go pack my things."

Adam rolled his eyes and ruffled the Archer's hair. "Oh poor little princess, why don't you go tell the Giant whose people are raised to be experts in Animal Husbandry how much you disagree with him. But you didn't answer my question. The bandits you stole all this from have no way of finding us yes?"

"You mean the same Giant that often deals in dead things more often then live?" Tris asked with a smirk. "As for your question."

The archer shrugged. "You ever see a cow be stealthy? Me neither. I did start away from the camp before looping around covering what I could of the tracks. Again though it is a cow."

"So sounds like you shoud've left the cow huh genius?" Adam moved over to a small barrel of warm mead and poured two large tankards of it. "How many were there? And I heard you ran into some already out with Mynx. How'd that end?" He asked handing one cup to Tristifer.

"A pair of corpses, and three gentlemen getting sun on their cheeks as the pixies demanded." Tris said before taking a pull on his mug. He rotated the papers eyeing the sigil on the seals. "And if the Giant didn't cave in to peer pressure, you'd be asking that over a steak. Which would have nullified your complaints, fresh eggs in it if you stop worrying and identify the sigil here."

Adam snorted and studied the sigil. "Yeah then you'd be the only one taking care of it all by your lonesome just like the chickens. You should've killed the three who got away." He lifted his tankard in one hand and the letter in the other. "Looks like the seal of the Ice Nation Court Wizard. What the hell were these grunts doing with it?"

"Aside from being bandits?" Tris asked with a shrug. His eyes scanned a paper, "Looks like nothing. After all who willingly travels in areas with bandits?"

"Fools like us being paid to chase fairy tales." He downed his tankard and went for a refill. "I don't read Ice Nation. Maybe we can hand it to Vel and she can tell us more later." He picked up the ring again studying it closer in the shifted light of the nearby fire. "Damn, this has the seal of the Ice Nation too." He handed it to Tris examining the rest of the contents. It was all from the Ice Nation, that wasn't a very good sign. "Hmm looks like your friends ambushed someone from the Ice Nation out here."

"Maybe," Tris said, "Though, if that were true why was the box still locked?" The archer shrugged and shook his head, "I'm getting as wary as the old man. Anyways, as you destroyed my entertainment I'm gonna get some sleep."

Tris tucked the papers into his arrow bag. "Can you make sure Balder gets the box now that it's open?"

Adam nodded taking the box and it's contents in his arms he sipped his drink and moved over to Balder's wagon. After handing it off to the Giant the man went and got himself some food before moving around and making sure the guard shifts were ready and going before he went to his own bedrolls.

*Later that night.*

Moving quickly through the brush a group of darkly clad individuals were marching through the moonlit forests heading straight for the dying embers of the Gallery's fires. The glint of steel and grim faces flashed under the dark canopies of the old forest. At the front a large man carrying a wickedly spiked hammer over his shoulder.

As one they reached they forest edge and gathered around the trunk of a large oak. Whispers passing between them.

Having been unable to sleep Tris took a quick stroll around camp. He picked a direction away from those on watch, and after a brief walk took a break against a tree. Hearing a quiet approach the archer quietly pulled himself up into the branches, and smirked as a group gathered below him. Carefully drawing his knife he stepped out along the branches; Moving slowly while eavesdropping on the whispering below he reached the edge of the group and picked a target.

Stepping off the branch he fell silently onto the figure below, the knife moving on impact to silence the corpse before it could make a noise. Stealing the knife from the body Tristifer slowly lowered it to the ground and began backing away. He turned and casually started back to camp his heard turned back towards the men beneath the tree. Hearing the flurry of movement as they finally noticed one of their own was dead Tris bolted ahead. "WAKE UP YOU LAZY SHITS, WE HAVE COMPANY!" He bellowed as he ran.

With the element of surprise gone, all around the camp the woods erupted with angry shouts as the bandits charged en-masse upon the sleeping camp. The loud bellows of Masso and Balder were heard as well as what sounded like magic spells being launched from the dead of the night on the outskirts of camp. In the camp proper it was only boots and blades. Adam, always being quick on the draw was out of his tent with sword drawn, boots on, and just wearing a pair of leather pants with his breastplate quickly strapped on. "TO ARMS! TO ARMS! KILL ANYONE WHO DOESN'T HAVE OUR PIN!" A man wielding a pair of scimitars charged Adam only to be met with a vicious strike across his neck beheading him.

As always Balder and Masso were sleeping a bit away from the camp to keep their snores from waking everyone up. But tonight it may prove to be their deaths, magic is one of the few ways to bring down a Giant and these bandits weren't as dumb as Tris said. Or at the very least there weren't just run-of-the-mill bandits.

Luckily for the Giant Quartermaster, ice magic wasn't overly effective against his people. He tanked the first bolt of magic, and Masso's own senses moved quicker than his comrade's. Rumbling to his feet he swung his trunk sending a knife carrying bandit into the trees. Grabbing up his hammer Balder shook off the initial shock of the sudden attack and grabbed his sling up beginning to pummel the woods out to kill the mages.

Xbox One Gamertag: Free Today56 just say who you are first.
    Breath deep as the snow falls around you. Let it fill your lungs and purify the fires of doubt within you.

Spoiler: The stories I've written x50 

Arch-angel of Epica
    Mentioned
    303 Post(s)

Default Awesome CO with Storm! :D

[Note the * marks that this word has translation at the end of the post]

“Oh no!”, Sheva said as she still was busy rolling her tube back, “And I just took a shower too!”.

The idea of her getting caught up in a fight in the middle of the night after she was about to call it a day was upsetting to say the least. Still it was so dark and she was a distance away from camp. Luckily her armor was with her, upon which her pin was attached… or so it should have been.

“Oh god!”, Sheva dropped everything from her hands as she began to search the ground for the shining badge, “Please be here please be here!”, she knew she won’t hear the last of it if she won’t find it, and in this situation without it she was just as likely a target as the other bandits.

“Looking for this?”

Her body froze as she slowly turned her head. It was a voice unlike she had heard in the recent days, but still familiar. Regardless, she knew at once she was at lost. Looking up she tried to catch some details of the figure, before rising to her feet, her right hand itching to grab the knife which was attached to her boots.

“Easy there, sorʼca*”, the woman said as she moved closer, “Or should I call you by your name, fucking betrayer!”

She was an Elf… and a familiar one!!

“Morinth”, Sheva uttered slowly, recognizing the beautiful lady even in the dark of the night.

Spoiler:  

“So, the rumors were true. You are still alive… how… unsightly…”, she said as she throw the pin for Sheva’s to catch. Sheva gritted her teeth in response. Her left hand was clutching the pin while her right already started to pull her dagger which hung around her hips. Once she removed it from the small scabbard, she pointed the blade toward the direction of the wood elf, as if to warn her to not come closer.

“I see you still have my father’s gift with you. Pitiful. I would never understand what he saw in you. I am prettier after all”.

To anyone looking from a distance the two looked like twins, The resemblance was almost uncanny aside of the notable ears size that Morinth had. They both had raven hair that was braided and lingered down their back, pale skin, and face that looked almost identical. But while Sheva had blue eyes, Morinth had dark green, and out of the two Sheva also appeared to be taller and more busty. Their close appearance was the sole evidence of Sheva possible background of elven heritage since her parents were not alive to tell her and her master always eluded the question.

“What are you doing here, sidh*?”, Sheva narrowed her eyes, “The woods of Ershvel no longer a comfort home?”

Morinth chuckled, “So formal, are you? I guess that’s to be expected, since you have been associated with the D’uands* of light. Had the chance to burn more forests lately?”.

“The fault is not with me! The dryads started-!”

“They were pushed to the corner, and you, a pitiful child loved by the forest have betrayed them and burnt their home to ashes. My father gave his life to save you! I will never understand why!”

“They tricked him and in turned were punished!”

“By you. Your own stinky gift and curse… you killed the life of Ershvel…

“Only because they twisted something within me!”, Sheva’s hands shook as anger took over her, the small blade sparkling small lights reflected by the moon along with her movements, “The lady of the forest forced the water of eate* into me! She wanted to turn me into a dryad! You were there! You didn’t help me! Or master!”, Sheva screeches were growing higher and higher.

“Father was wrong!”

“No!”, Sheva bit her lips, “Master was wise enough to see that the rebellion will only lead to unedeed bloodshed. When I was finally free, and barely gasping for life, I threw myself at the mercy of the queen… only to stop the butchering of the non-humans… while you, and the dryads were gone…. You never protected them!... I WAS!”.

There was a moment of silent before Morinth spoke again, ““Silly girl”, the woman shook her head, “The moment the tree was burnt… All that was of sidhe’s nature*… died along with it…”

Sheva lowered her head as her lips twisted in ire. The visions of the forest people flashes before her eyes, along with good and bittersweet memories. She was sad to hear of their parting, even if they caused her pain. But Morinth didn’t need to know of her sadness, “Good”. She grinned and enjoyed the look of Morinth as her expression changed from grief to anger.

“Ungrateful, varhʼhe”*

“I’ll ask you one more time, Morinth, what are you doing here?”

“Same as you, Sorʼca*, scraping by, finding a way to live and a spot to die, preferably by taking as much D’uands with me as I can… I imagine it is the same for you… but you were always such a submissive pet”

“I dare you say that again to me!”

Mornith rejoiced at the beautiful face of Sheva which were distorted with wrath. She enjoyed seeing the ice-queen losing a composure, “I don’t think that you’d be quick enough to flail this tiny blood before I will shove a sword down your abdomen. But if you wish I would be happy to bring about your rebirth”.

Sheva’s eyes widen. There was only one person that she had known to have used such wording to describe killing, “What did you say?”

Mornith, only now realizing what she had said, chuckled moutfully, “Oh my, I guess the fool totally got me hooked on his catchphrase- Master Lin who hires me tends to use this word a lot. Something about religion aspect and the nature of the soul”, she shrugged, “Matter not to me, as long as the men in question remains in their grave”

“Are you telling me…”, Sheva started to speak, “That you have been hired by a lady called Su-Lin?”, Sheva’s expression changed into that of a surprise. Could it be that Su-Lin had betrayed them and worked as a spy?

At that moment a steps were heard, weak and gentle enough to announce the person as a lady. It was Su-Lin

“Master Lin?”, Mornith studied her for a moment before a smile appeared on her face, “No, not him…”, she laughed, “You look so much like him… could it be that little Sheva and me are not the only siblings to be met in the battlefield?”

“You are not a sister to me”, Sheva cried in anger, “Never were”.

Having been away from the main camp in a secluded area watchful of the camp, Su Lin had already stirred as the bandits tried to sneak up on the camp. They were doing a poor job of it. She had already risen and had bow in hand as Adam and Tris began shouting ‘To Arms’. Never one to blindly rush into battle, she started a slow stalk toward camp when she stepped into the area Sheva and Mornith were having their discussion.

Su Lin’s expression was neutral as Mornith seemed to recognise her before a moment of anger washed across her face as it was now apparent that the Elf mistook her for her own brother. If Ky were in the area, it would not be for noble reasons. Her eyes dart into the darkness trying to catch even the slightest image of her brother knowing at the same time, like herself, he would be difficult to see if seen at all.

Regaining composure, Su Lin steps closer toward Sheva and Mornith, her tone flat

“It seems in the dark you mistook me for my elder brother. Question for you, who does my brother seek and are you his whore, or is he your whore?”

Her chocolate brown eyes firmly fixated on the Elf. Granted she herself was sold to a Palace by her own family so she has not the right to criticise those whom are in the employ of Kingdoms, however Ky sought out those for his personal gain. A betrayed look of hurt and concern flash through Su Lin’s eyes for the briefest moment. All she is certain with this other woman who apparently is associated with Ky in some manner, he must be close and seeking the life of one in this area. Her first thought was if Ky were the assassin that was foreseen by the fortune teller a week past.

Not waiting for the Elf to respond to her initial outburst, Su Lin continues

“HOW DARE YOU!”, the elf spat at the ground, “Unlike some of us…”, she said as she looked at Sheva, “Our pure kind do not open their legs for D’uands”, she then continued to gaze at Su Lin, although now the feminine features of her body were much more visible, yet the resemble of her brother was impossible to miss. And like her brother, she too was beautiful. For a human, “What’s your name, little D’uand?”, the elf’s anger has vanished instantly, as her cheerful expression returned to adorn her face .

“Allow me formalities. I am known as Su Lin, and Miss, you mispronounce my brother’s name, he is Ky Lim, not Lin. Pray tell, what trinket is my elder brother seeking this time?”

“As if I know what’s going on through that person’s head. He gives a target and I follow, with a lot of death and blood… and many chances of rebirths as he likes to call them… I do know that before he sent us to find some documents, that he was looking for someone… But why and whom I cannot tell, nor do I care. He is some moons away, but once he gets here, I’m sure you can ask him yourself, suppose you will live enough to tell”.

“You will fight us here, Morinth?”, Sheva hissed back.

“The night is short, and I do not intend to waste it on family quarrels… at least not now…”

Su Lin steps closer to the Elf, her eyes focusing on her for any movement, her tone flat, hand now resting on her wrist band “Pray tell by what name of person my brother looks for. Is it that you can not tell, or is it as you were not aware of the name, or is your silence by choice dear woman?”

She strongly suspects who Ky seeks, however the words of documents spoken of causes her a quirk of the brow, could there be more to the child Prince that even she or Master Elder are aware of, she however would not allow this woman to see that this new information caught her by surprise, though her momentary facial expression already betrayed that.

“Were you sent for the person or the document Miss… whoever you are?”

“Hahaha… So that person is with you?”, the elven lady rejoiced at the knowledge that was oh so carelessly donated to her, “Don’t try to hide it, I have a feeling you know of whom this person is, but to me he means nothing. I tell you what… admit that I am prettier than my sister and I’ll tell you his name!”

Such a small price to pay for receiving what she strongly suspects. Yet… she knows well that a small payment often is met with a much larger consequence. This is one she will not pay the Elf, with no raise of her tone, she looks softly to Morinth, her tone equally calm

“Find humor do you? You too have already answered what I asked by your actions Miss. I need not hear you speak the child’s name, and I would ask that you return to my brother to speak that he should not come to this place. He does harm to my family name, should he come to this place, may his next life be more honorable than this. Now please step away and bring that message to my brother, that way, we both will see the sunrise this morning.”

“You are as dull as my sister… shame really”, with a quick steps she was already behind Sheva who nearly dodged her spinning bladge, but Su-Lin was quick to block the impact. Sheva looked up and noticed how much force both girls put into pushing off the other one with their blades. When Mornith tried to kick Su-Lin, the last simply jumped back, her blade still lifted in defense.

The elf licked her fingers, “I like you. You fight truly and honorably”, she then looked at Sheva, “Wouldn’t it be fun if the former queen of Salivan learns of this? That you survived and alive… pitiful scraping by, but still alive…”

“What do you mean by former queen!?”.

The elf grinned and simply blow a kiss in the air at the direction of the girls before throwing a smoke screen bomb at their direction, easing her escape, “Let’s meet again, Sor’ca!”

Sheva coughed hard, the heavy smoke penetrating her lungs. She hoped it was not poisoned, “What… what did she mean by former queen of Salivan?”, she looked at Su-Lin, whom she assumed might give her some ease of mind. It has been a decade, but she remembered the queen and king to be lady Maive and Lord Kelibth. Has something changed while she was gone?

As the smoke drifted through the air, Su-Lin held her breath, the smoke did not cause numbness so at least the Elf had not tried to poison them. As Sheva coughed, Su Lin focuses on the darkness of the shadows outside the tight perimeter they were in. To her question, Su Lin’s only response was
    “I was ready to ask the same of you Miss Shiva…” her eyes widen a moment, in a fluid movement as casually as she would brush her own hair, she sheaths her sword bringing her arm down now holding an arrow with a blue tint to the shaft, in no time her bow is raised and the arrow in released toward the black treeline.

From the treeline, a bandit holding a mace over head springs from the darkness being met by the arrow, the base of the arrow shattering once it enters the bandit sending the enclosed nerve toxin within his blood stream dropping him within an additional two steps. She looks to Sheva, a calmness to her tone
    “These bandits seem as silent as a thunderstorm…” looking about hoping that this one was a stray “...may be a bad time to ask, who was the woman that was just here?”

Her concern growing that there might be more to the child Prince than was revealed, her brother was not an honorable man, but he did not typically accept nothing rebirths. There had to be something deeper than she was aware and hoped like with her sister, that Shiva might shed some light on what was just revealed.

“A pain in the butt, that’s what she is!”, Sheva removed one glove from her hands, “Can you knock him long enough for me to touch his safely? It may be for a small moment, but we may get some answers about why those people hunting us. I know Mornith, I don’t think she is related to the initial attack which Mr Chicken legs warned us of!”, She gritted her teeth as she thought of the bad manner Trist. Still he had some use as he did had a voice loud enough to warn them even if she was some distance from the group.

Su Lin simply answered “There will be no need to hold the gent, the powder working it’s way through his life fluid will allow his rebirth within a few moments, he shall not move nor yell, his rebirth will be painless. Should you seek answers, now would be the time to obtain such Miss Sheva.” as she starts toward the down man, her tone soft as she touches her chest with an open hand “Dear man, worry not, nature shall see you born into someone better, the shell that you now occupy will nourish life within this land.”

“Don’t promise him too much”, Sheva shook her head, “For all we know he may end up being some grass…”, Sheva bent beside the man her hand touching strongly under his chin and closing on his neck. Her eyes momently glowed as she felt his energy sapping into her. Yet unlike the pleasant feeling she got from Adam, this one made her sick to the core, as though small cockroaches were moving under her skin, and she held herself from throwing up. Such was the chances she took when connecting her soul to others, and it usually was unpleasant, but this was the worse experience to date. Either it was because that bandit was rotten to the core, or because of the poison Su-Lin used… she couldn’t tell for sure, “You will now talk to us… Share with us your motive… until your last breath you will see us as the people who are in charge of you, and you will tell us everything…”.

This was probably the first time anyone aside of Adam saw her using her power to the fullest, and she was afraid of Su-Lin’s reaction but now was not the time to worry about it. Not when the man was this close to die.

“Masters!”, the man uttered under his breath.

“Good!”, Sheva let go of his neck and quickly put her glove again, feeling her whole body sweaty and weak, “Talk!”.

Watching Sheva, Su Lin simply stepped back allowing her to extract information. There was no fear in her appearance, she had seen all manor of life through her travels and did not look upon Sheva any different than others she had met through her travels who had extraordinary powers or abilities. Perhaps even she envied her, maybe this woman might be able to shed some light on the name Rathma Su Lin has been inquiring about since the market if Sheva were aware of the name.

“They want the paper of the queen”, said the man slowly, “They don’t think she is fit enough…”

“Wait”, Sheva said, gasping for air. She always hated to use her skills which required her to enforce her will into other because the toll they inflicted on her body was great. Usually making her barely capable to function for a day, and she hated to be this vulnerable. She crawled for the drying man, grabbing the collar of his shirt, “Speaking! What do you mean?”.

“They took the papers… sealed in a box… Must… get it back…”. Then man let out his last breath, and it didn’t help that Sheva continued to shake his corpse to try and make him utter more. When she had finally gave up she tossed him to the ground, disgusted with the sight.

“I don’t know what to make of this… of any of this…”, She looked up at Su-Lin, “Who is Ky-Lim?”, she asked slowly.

As the man uttered his last words, the speaking of having a box containing papers plays on her mind. Was the ‘they’ the man spoke of by some happenstance be Jamon or the man servant he was seeking when she first happened upon the child? She closes her eyes a moment trying to recall if she recalls seeing the child with any form of box during their time.

Su-Lin's eyes open as Sheva questions who Ky-Lim was. She simply replied
    “He is a palace whore…” focusing on Sheva noticing her weakened state. Darting her eyes in the treeline quickly to detect any movement of this chaps band, perhaps even the Elf Woman, before turning her attention back to Sheva.

Su-Lin removes a small pouch from her pocket looking upon the contents removing a small wrapped paper.

“I am not sure if you can trust me, this contains natural herbs that will boost your immune system, I believe that is the term Royal Healers call it, but it is something I have spent my life perfecting. The powder taken by mouth will enhance your bodies natural healing process.” offering the wrapped powder to Sheva.

Her tone goes flat “... as far as Ky-Lim, he brings senseless rebirths… I am sorry … brings death wherever he travels. He has no honor, he simply takes gold from powerful people to remove life from others. To him it matters not the reason or if the life deserves being taken, he simple kills for gold, jewels and trinkets.”

Her expression betrays a pained look as she thinks of those she has reborn over her life, she tries to reassure herself that those she has ended were unjust and their lives would bring pain and suffering to others. She herself has taken Palace gold and jewels, yet never for unjust reasons. She buries her pained expression again, tone soft

“If what that woman spoke is true, that my brother is a several day journey from here, it would only be because he has taken Palace gold to remove one's life. I believe I know the one he will come for.”

“I figured as such”, Sheva nodded and grabbed Su-Lin’s hand and locked eyes with her, “I trust you”, she said and before long the herb was already taken by her. The feeling was not immediate like the way how her magic worked, but she could feel it spreading into her body, “Regarding everything that happened here and took place… I believe it will be wise to inform our three commanders about, but I will respect your decision if you decided that we should not… However if we do tell them, it might be better to do so together. We don’t have to tell them everything but they do need to know we have unneeded attention on our heels. Even if two out of the three commanders annoy me to the core, they are in charge of us, and we need to work with them for the guild’s sake”, Sheva looked at Su-Lin, “I’m sorry about your sibling… It’s okay, you don’t have to say further. I deduced from Morinth and your reaction that a lot of emotions are involved”, Sheva didn’t smiled but she nodded at the assassin, “I respect your approach of privacy, and that you didn’t ask further of Morinth. I am not ready to speak further of her or my past, but I feel like it will hold much meaning for the future, so I probably won’t be able to hide it for long. Still I will need few more moons to keep my skeletons locked tight in the closet of my mind”.

Sheva then slowly crawled for the tree’s direction and used the bark to stand up, “But before we can decide on further action, we need to get back, I still hear music of battle from the direction of the camp”.

As Sheva rises, Su-Lin offers her hand to help her stand, “You are correct, our leaders do need hear this. I was trying to piece together a puzzle. A being who called himself Rathma spoke before vanishing a week past. Adam was not aware of such name, would you by chance have heard of one by that name. I would have spoken to our leaders sooner however I thought there was more time to look into the words this Rathma spoke.”

She reaches behind her back drawing her sword “When the bandit song is put out, I will speak more what you may need hear before our leaders do, it is about who I am certain my brother travels for, the boy, Jamon. Master Elder is already aware of his true self, his proper name is Prince Jamon Dewars of Salvian. The specter that spoke to me in the market fortune teller booth offered a warning on the child before it vanished.” her tone flat, eyes now fixed in the direction of the shouting “Are you ready to do harm to those who attack our camp?”

Sheva nearly tumbled and fell as she heard of Jamon’s true identity. While his true nature of him being a prince explained his behaviour, alas what Su-Lin claimed as truth made no sense, “That can’t be!! That’s can’t be true! He cannot be the heir of Salvian. It’s not possible! Not at all”.

All this information was too harsh to consume at once. Morinth’s cameo brought back with her so much of Sheva’s sorrowful past that she though she might sink into oblivion of depression any moment, “Queen Maive had no heirs… in fact some suspected she is unable to bear a child… It all doesn’t make sense”.

How old was Jamon? 20s at best? 16 at the least? Which meant that he was supposed to be at least 6 or 5 years old when she fled the kingdom of Salvian, but during this time the queen and king had no child. In fact the king pleaded Sheva to bear him a child from her instead, right before the great rebellion of the forest.

“But the name… Rathma… is known to me…”, she swallowed hard, feeling her reality crumbled under her feet, “At least of that I am sure… Master Ramiel introduced him to me once. He seemed to be at peace with the forest of Ershvel, but the matron lady herself seemed to be offended by his presence. They shared a past, but master Ramiel didn’t elaborated further. He said that the lady of the forest and Rathma himself were beings that begun to pace even before our world was formed fully, but I find it hard to believe. The lady died rather quickly after all… Maybe Rathma was a different case… He is powerful though… very powerful… but I never seen him in action, why do you ask?”.

Still focused on the darkness surrounding them, ever cautious for any life forms to come out of the shadows, Su-Lin intently listened. Sheva herself seemed familiar with the lands of Salvian and the monarchy that controlled those lands which was good … and bad. If she did not recognise the possibility that the child was in line for the throne, the words spoke by the specter gave more meaning. Still on a slow and cautious approach to the sounds of battle, she offered to Sheva

“The being who named himself Rathma seemed to be aware of the child, he spoke my name having never met me before, he also warned that the child was a dangerous bomb. If the child is not of true Royal heritage, those words have more meaning. His presence could bring about bloodshed to whatever land his pretends to be of. It was also foretold that either he or Mynx might meet their end before this tale is complete.” She bites her lower lip not offering that Rathma had told her that she would be the one to determine which died if one would meet their rebirth. “It might be time to speak to the child, I do not know if he is a willing accomplice in whatever story he is a part of or simply a jester being used in someone’s play. When I first happened upon the child, he was in front of a tavern being coaxed inside by several slavers. The wide eyed pup was eating their words like a child sucking on honey. Had one of the slavers made an attempt to secure me in my passing, the boy would be on a slave ship or reborn as something smarter by now. The child mistook my reaction as coming to his rescue and has followed me like a homeless pet since. Somehow I suspect that the child is blind to what he is being used in or blindly follows what his puppeteer directs him to.”

Su-Lin’s tone grows lower “Should I be wrong about the child and he is a willing accomplice in the tale he weaves, he would need not worry about my brother for I would end the boy myself.” Her mind starts to drift to the words which the dying man had spoken about about getting back papers in a locked box. She tries to recall if Jamon had any such box in his possession when he started following her or when she gave the pet to Mynx. Try as she does, she can not recall any box in the child's possession. Obviously those who descend upon camp do not appear to be seeking Jamon.
    “This box the man spoke of, I am not aware of any boxes thieves would be seeking, does that make any sense to you?”

“No…”, Sheva said. But then her eyes lit with strange aura and a moment later a fire started to burn the tree, “Wait a minute, the bastard has it! Wanna be hunter Tristifer has entered the camp with hens and a dying cow… Don’t you see! It all makes sense now! We must go back immediately, we have to know what’s inside the box”.

Su-Lin listened to Sheva, as she was about to speak, she noticed the aura illuminate Shiva eyes followed by the tree catching flame. As Sheva spoke, Su-Lin listened, her own features not changing. She has met people and creatures capable of extraordinary gifts however Sheva seems to be the most powerful life she has encountered to date. Su-Lin herself was unaware what Tris had brought to camp as she was out on patrol at that time.

Another rarity, a soft smile forms on Su-Lin, her tone almost with humor
    “Lets see what is in the box the hunter brought back to camp, and if I can offer a suggestion, don't burn him, Master Elder might frown if we brought him back in an ash bag.” the last said in a giggle.

With that, her expression returns flat, back to the protective shell she spent a lifetime building. “Once we know what the box contains that Tristifer brought to camp, it might be time to speak to young Jamon, see if there is more to the boy than his appearance shows.” as she picks up the pace toward camp.

“Yes… I’d like to get some answers as well”, Sheva adorned the pin back on her night clothes, as there was no time to change to her adventure clothes, she removed four gems from her small pouch, “Let’s charge”

With that, Su-Lin holding her sword in hand, she will drop the bow as they get close and recover it after battle.

Translation:

*Sorʼca- Little sister
    *Sidh- Elf (Wood elf or high elves).
    *Eate- Summer
    *sidhe- beings of magical nature like elves, dryad, nymph, etc.
    *D’uands- humans
    *Varhʼhe- Bitch
    *Va fail- Farwell

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast