Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Shop Guide and FAQ

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)

Default Shop Guide and FAQ

Guys, I'm so freaking excited! A brand new feature is finally ready to unveil - and omigosh, is it a fun one! But, since it's taken me so damn long to figure out all the ins and outs of it, I thought I'd better put together a bit of a guide on how to use it!

So, without further ado - here's your one stop... shop... to THE SHOP! The shop, what shop? I hear you say - well, read on and find out!

On indefinite hiatus. I remain purple only for technical support, please direct queries to Scottie or another staffer. Thank you RPA for being my second home for so many years, and every member who makes this the wonderful place it is.

Click here daily to vote for RPA!

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)

What is the shop?

The shop is a brand new feature to RPA, where you can 'purchase' items to pretty up your thread
    and sidebar and help your threads and posts stand out from the crowd!

Items are purchased with activity points, not real money! So anyone has the ability to earn points, and trade them for items at the shop. Some items are temporary, and some are single use - more explanation of the different items available and how to earn points can be found below.

To access the shop, simply click the 'quick links' menu, and choose 'vbshop' from the drop down menu (or click here!)

On indefinite hiatus. I remain purple only for technical support, please direct queries to Scottie or another staffer. Thank you RPA for being my second home for so many years, and every member who makes this the wonderful place it is.

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)

So how do I earn points?

As I said above, the shop does NOT use real money. Instead, items can be bought with activity points - these are earned by creating threads, posting on the forums, rating threads, referring new members and so on. Posting in some sections earns you more points than others - IC posts are worth the most points, then OOC posts, and other RP related sections, and forum games / other discussions the least (though posting there is still a great way to earn points!)

To view your activity points, just click the 'RPActivity' tab OR click the quick links menu and choose 'vbactivity' from the drop down menu OR click here! This will take you to the main activity page, where you can choose to view overall totals, leaderboards and trophies (who has the most points for a certain criteria) on the left hand side. You can also view your own points, what you've earned them for and any trophies you currently or have previously held by visiting your profile page and clicking the activity tab.

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)

How do I buy items?

The shop page is fairly straightforward to navigate. On the left, your current point total is displayed under 'your wallet.' Below this, you will see two options - 'shop,' which displays all items currently for sale and 'inventory,' which will list all the items you currently own.

On the shop page, you will find the items split into categories. Simply click the tab of the category you'd like to browse and the items will be displayed below.

To buy items, click 'purchase' beneath the item you'd like and it will be added to your shopping cart, which can be found on the right side of the page. To purchase multiple of the same item, simply click 'purchase' again until you have the desired number in your cart.

When you are ready to check out, click 'view cart / checkout' below your cart. This will take you to a new page where you can review and confirm your purchase.

Some items require configuration before they are activated - details on how to configure items can be found below.

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)

I accidentally bought the wrong thing! Can I get my points back?

If you accidentally purchase something you don't want, don't fret! Items are able to be sold back to the shop for full purchase price for ONE HOUR after they are sold. After that, the sale is final! The exception to this is the testing items - these are not able to be sold back to the shop.

Can I buy items for other members?

Aww, that's so sweet of you! Yes, you certainly may! To gift an item, simply purchase it as usual, visit your inventory (by clicking 'inventory' on the left hand side of the shop page) and click 'gift' next to the item you'd like to give away. Type the username of the person you'd like to send it to in the box provided. There's also a space to write a note if you'd like. The recipient will be sent a PM to let them know you've given them a gift. PLEASE NOTE: there is a check box on this page that says 'send item without configuration - you MUST check this box or the person you've sent it to will not be able to use their item!!!

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)

So what kind of items can I get?

The items are split into three categories: thread stickies, thread decor, and postbit decor.

Thread stickies are temporary stickies that you can use to stick your thread to the top of its forum! Please note the time limit for stickies starts from when you BUY the item, NOT when it is applied to your thread, so wait until you're ready to use it before you buy it! There is a limit on the number of stickies that will be sold each week. If they're sold out, don't fret! They will be restocked each week.

Thread Decor is items you can use to decorate your threads! Change the colour and appearance of the title, or the colour of the thread itself in the forum listing. Below are some examples:

Spoiler: Thread Decor Examples 

Postbit Decor includes items that can change the colour of your postbit and the style of your user title, as well as a one off title change, for those who haven't made it to 10,000 posts yet! Below are some examples:

Spoiler: Postbit Decor Examples 

All decor items are permanent (until you choose to remove them) but may only be configured ONCE. This means once you choose the colour and style you'd like, you will NOT be able to change it! (Unless you buy another decor item of course!) If you're not sure how you'd like to style something, there are also 'testing' items available, which will allow you to temporarily redecorate your threads and postbit as many different ways as you like. These wear off after 24 hours.

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)

Okay, I've bought the item I want! Now how do I use it?

Once you've bought your item, you need to configure it for it to work. To do so, just navigate to your inventory page ('Quick Links ' menu, then 'VBshop' to get to the shop page, then click 'inventory' on the left hand side.) and all the items you own will be listed. Click 'configure' next to the item you'd like to set up!

There will be a few different options available here, depending on what the item is. For thread decor or sticky threads, you'll need to input the thread id. To find this, just go to the thread you'd like to apply the item to and look at the url - the thread id is the group of numbers at the end. For example, this threads' url is https://role-player.net/forum/showthread.php?t=92539, so the thread id is 92539.

Some decor items require you to choose colours - all shop items use hex colour codes to work! This website has a huge collection of colours, and the hex codes that go with them, or you can use google to find your own.

Some decor items will also give you the option to add glow, shadow or italic effects. Just click the checkbox next to the effects you'd like, as well as the colour you'd like them to be.

Once you've finished, just click 'save' and the item will be activated. Please remember that once you have configured an item, you cannot reconfigure it so make sure you've used the settings you want before you save! If you're unsure how you'd like to set something up, that's what the tester items are for! They will allow you to reconfigure them as many times as you like, and wear off after 24 hours.

PLEASE ALSO NOTE items can ONLY by applied to threads you created! If you'd like to use an item on someone else's thread you need to send it as a gift to that person!

My Son; My Sun.
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)

How do I get rid of an item once I've applied it?

If you decide you no longer want an item, simply navigate to your inventory and click 'discard' next to the item you'd like to remove.

I have a question that hasn't been answered above!

No problem! Just post it below and I'll be happy to help you out!

1Cor 13:1-8

Mentioned
    125 Post(s)

Is that t just me or are a large portion of the items way too expensive? 10000 for a post bit colour? Why so much?
    Last edited by John; 12-29-2018 at 02:23 AM.

3Spooky5U
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Science Fiction/Slice of Life/Fandom
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

This doesn’t use real money so I’m 100% cool with it nice feature

Griffin / Gumbo / Gambit / Griff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast