Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Howling in the Streets{M} DamoniquexBrokecollege

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Lucent released a breath that he's been careful not to let show he was even holding in, the moment he was finally able to relax back into his seat. This had been the tricky part. None of the exiles trying to start a riot, even if it meant their lives, had been uncertain. Getting Savic to agree to this at all had been it's own chore, only attained through promises that t would all work out to their advantage in the end, and that any difficulties presented would be dealt with.

And then there was Khlia. While the slightest glance towards his sister told him she was unhappy, apparently, she wasn't unhappy enough to start killing, if only to remind him that he wasn't her boss. He wouldn't put it past her, and unlike anyone else in this room, Khlia truly wasn't beholden to him or anyone else, and any action she took to prove that would only permanently damage his reputation, and everything he was trying to build on it.

All had gone as well as Lucent could possibly hope, and what came after was the easy part. He redistributed the territories and populations of the packs who's leaders he'd exiled to his new Alphas, and also granted a few of them command of those who had been chosen for neither exile nor advancement those who wouldn't remain under the direct leadership of himself or Savic. And they spent a while discussing strategy, before finally departing, one by one, warriors detailed to hep them collect their new subjects, oblivious to what had happened, without a fuss until all could be explained.

The new arrangement of their alliance had been chosen specifically to cover all gaps in the defense of their territories, the new Alphas forming a buffer zone between the core of Fang/Evertail territory and the rest of the city. And now that defending that territory was their own responsibility, not so many of he and Savic's forces would be wasted leading patrols and scouting the borderline. If any of them failed in this duty, the fighting would leave the other packs untouched and ready to counterattack, a potential rival to them all would be eliminated. None of them would mind that.

"There will be blood over this. Alpha's want everything, never settle for less. Not even Lucent can change that." Khlia stated in ow tones to Elisabeth, still seething over her brothers decision. It ran counter to what she thought was the whole point. Lucent becoming THE Alpha, the only authority, herself second to him. She supposed at least she'd have a greater challenge when it finally came time to deal with these new claimants, but even Khlia Mane knew she couldn't fight everyone at once, and still didn't trust Savic, though she would never say this Elisabeth's face. How long before this new band of 'equals' decided they would be better off without 'savages' in their number? It troubled her. Lash chose this moment to give up a few of her precious words, very quietly.

"Whatever your thinking, Lucent knows. He has plans, and plans behind those plans. It's his way. The best servants are those who think they serve only themselves when doing your bidding." The smaller female stated bluntly and Khlia considered this. Still, there would be an argument later. Her brother should now to trust her, by now. And yet somehow, Elisabeth had gotten more hints as to what was about to happen than she had.

Eventually, everyone was gone but a much-diminished contingent of Fangs and Evertails, Lucent speaking quietly to Savic about particulars. Evetually, the two leaders shook hands and moved to collect their people and return to their territories, but before that, Lucent walked over to Elisabeth, gesturing towards the side door. Clearly, he wanted a word alone with the fiery lieutenant while his counterpart was busy discussing the nights events with his mate.

Spoiler: Favorite Quotes(Changed Monthly) 

Damonique and Natora, Joshua and Jessica, over a million words strong and the story goes on and on and on.....

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    romance, werewolves, vampires, etc.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As Lucent and the newly reinstated Alphas discussed the distribution of land, Khlia sat fuming beside Elisabeth. She quietly informed Elisabeth of the blood that would be shed because of tonight. Alphas, she said, wanted everything and wouldn't settle for less. That was something that not even Lucent could change. Well, she wasn't wrong about that. For the time being, they may settle with what little land Lucent gives them, but in the future, they would no doubt want more.

Lash, deciding to speak up, reminded Khlia of her brother's plans behind his plans. While Khlia seemed less irritated after Lash's interjection, she was still irritated. No doubt the brother and sister would spend the rest of the night arguing about what both of them thought was right and wrong. After all of the land had been distributed, the newly reinstated Alphas gathered their drunken men and bid farewell to Lucent and Savic.

Elisabeth stood by and watched them as they happily pranced out of the room before her attention turned to her men. Most of them were drunk, and those who weren't were desperately trying to safely guide their packmates out of the rooms and down the stairs. She made a mental note to start their training an hour later tomorrow. Just as she was about to leave the private room herself, she was stopped by Lucent. He gestured towards the nearby sidedoor, and although reluctant Elisabeth followed him through the door. "Yes, Alpha Mane?"
    "and like all lovers and sad people, i am a poet."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Lucent led Elisabeth a short ways down the hall before finally stopping and letting out a deep breath, tilting back to rest his head back against the wall, and reaching up to loosen his tie, which suddenly felt like it was choking him. The ever-imaculate Lucent Mane seemed haggard, as if somehow diminished by the night events. Usually, he wouldn't let himself be seen like this, but Elisabeth had already seen him far weaker.

"Well, the boards been set, now it's a matter of where the pieces fall. We're in no worse position now than before those packs first joined us, but Khlia might turn out right after all. Not that I can tell her that." He stated almost to himself, clearly just venting, but simply being near her helped him relax. Just the barest change, breath evening, tension slipping from his features. He took a deep breath of her scent, and cocked his head to look at her.

"I have something for you. An important duty, your Alpha has already been informed. Luna Mallory and several of the hostages, mostly mates. They'll accompany you back to Evertail territory tonight. The pups will arrive as well over the next few days. Keep them close, and comfortable. They're an important bargaining chip, weather the exiles keep to their promises or not. Khlia might not see it that way, if someone does something....rash." He stated flatly, his eyes saying everything Elisabeth needed to know. His own guards would be worthless at protecting anyone from his twin. But she liked Elisabeth, respected her, and knew better than to risk their pact with the Evertail. That should be enough.

Damonique and Natora, Joshua and Jessica, over a million words strong and the story goes on and on and on.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

As soon as they were alone, Lucent loosened his tie and dropped his serious facade. He spoke about the meeting and how well it had all gone, though Elisabeth had the feeling he was talking more to himself than he was to her. But she didn't mind. She patiently stood by and listened as the older male recounted the night's events before he eventually turned the conversation towards Elisabeth. He had a task for her. An important duty, he said.

Elisabeth expected it to be something along the lines of spying on the enemy but was disappointed to find that wasn't the case. Lucent's big task for Elisabeth turned out to be a babysitting job. As in, she was needed to babysit Luna Mallory and some of the hostages. Her brows furrowed--was he really giving her babysitting duty? Her, the great Lieutenant of the Evertail warriors? Although it was clear Elisabeth wasn't too pleased with the job, she knew she couldn't decline.

"Yes, Alpha Mane. Of course." she agreed with a slight bow of her head, "I'll see to it that the Luna and the hostages are both safe and comfortable." Already, she was thinking of the easiest way to achieve her goals. Luna Mallory would be left in the pack house with two personal guards. And she would divide the hostages. Half would be kept in the pack house (which was always closely guarded) with their detail, while the other half would be kept in a separate house. Both of these groups would be watched and guarded by an extra detail of security that would change at random points in the day. And Elisabeth would divide her time between helping out and training the rest of her men. Yes, that sounded good. "Did you need anything else, Alpha Mane?"

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Alpha Mane, again and again. He tightened his jaw after the third time, irked by this. They were alone, she was allowed to drop the act of formality. She also didn't seem too pleased with the duty he charged her with, even though it was actually important. If only Elisabeth would realize that fighters, even great ones, were easy to come by in this society, but someone trustworthy was a rare gem.

"You can dispense with the feigned deference, Elisabeth, and say what you mean. I'm not just the Alpha Mane to you, if I every was, and your more than just a lieutenant anymore. And I'm giving you a job that I thought you would be good at, perhaps even enjoy. The hostages are confused, angry, but most of all, afraid. They need someone to give them faith that there's a future, someone who's faced adversity, someone who knows how to be good. That isn't Khlia, or me, either. But it might be you." Lucent stated quietly, shifting to rest a hand on Elisabeth's shoulder ever so lightly, green eyes focused on her which was part sincerity, and part something else, almost pleading. Almost.

"We have enough fighters and followers, we need a moderator. Someone who can juggle trust and respect without losing either, and you've been doing just that for longer than anyone. Your warriors don't follow you out of simple duty, I've seen how they respond to you, and it's not fear, either. They have a devotion to you, a respect. Even Savic trusts you more than he probably should. It's a rare gift I can't allow you to waste." He continued, meaning every word. Lucent saw it more and more, in the way Elisabeth treated her people, as true comrades. Not weapons, extensions of self, like Khlia, or pieces on a board to be moved and sacrificed, like Lucent. She took care of them, checked on them, saw to their needs, and they did the same for her. If only she could feel the same for him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The more she spoke, the more irritated Lucent seemed to become. Finally, he ordered Elisabeth to drop her "feigned deference." He had never been just 'Alpha Mane' to her. Well, then, if he wasn't just 'Alpha Mane' to her, then what was he? A man who stubbornly refused to give up his feelings for her? When he mentioned how she was more than a Lieutenant, the brunette rose a brow. More than a Lieutenant? Since when did that happen? Elisabeth's only duty was to be the Lieutenant of her warriors!

And then he turned the conversation to the hostages. The scared, angry, and hopeless hostages who needed to be comforted. Her eyes dropped to the ground. They needed to be comforted and helped by someone who had faced adversity and who knew how to be good. They needed to be helped by her. Or, so, that's what Lucent believed. "Fine." she murmured as she finally looked up from the ground. "Fine, fine. I'll protect and help them."

The more time Lucent spent around her, the easier it became for him to talk her in and out of things. She didn't know if that was good, or if that was bad. Good for Lucent, probably, but not so much for her. "I think you only praise me so much because of how you feel for me." she quietly admitted. There was a pause before she continued, though she spoke of an entirely different topic. "Before you go, Lucent, you should know that your sister isn't happy with what you've done. You should talk to her."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

After a long moment of consideration and a series of shifting expression that came and went so fast that even Lucent, practiced as he was at reading people was at a loss to what she was thinking, Elisabeth came to decide that this wasn't yet another battle that she wanted to to fight with him, and acceded to the charge he had given her. The Alpha smiled at that, believing, or perhaps just hoping, that she was finally accepting how things were.

But before he could thank her, the brunette couldn't help herself from taking a little parting jab at his intentions, questioning the sincerity of his assessment of her. At this point, Lucent expected no less....whatever he said, Elisabeth would find a way to turn it against him. It irked him, as it always did, but for once, Lucent couldn't summon up for the fire to be even be offended, much less angry. Instead, he just breathed out a deep sigh of exasperation and settled back to let the wall, and also Elisabeth, hold more of his weight, looking utterly haggard, spent, and in the depths of his sea-green eyes almost...hurt. Perhaps Elisabeth wasn't the only one learning to pick their battles.

"Ancestors above, you're utterly impossible. Fine....believe what you want about me, and about yourself. I'm tired of spending every moment I steal with you fighting over nothing and everything...." He started with all the sincerity he could manage. It was true, Lucent was giving up, at least on trying to control her when it was clear his incentives, threats, and flattery all meant little and less to the Evertail Lieutenant. She had his number, so he'd have to try a different tact. To appeal to the common decency that she tried to hide behind a self-assured facade. He knew it was there, because he was exactly the same way...he'd just kept the mask on longer, until it almost became him. Almost too far gone, but not quite.

"At least understand that I meant every word I said in there, to every wolf willing to listen. That they deserve better than the predation and poverty generations of conflict between their so-called Alphas have left to them, and that I mean to make an end to it, once and for all...and to replace it with something better. At least believe in the dream, if not the dreamer, and work with me to make it a reality. Can you do that, Elisabeth?" Lucent finished, dropping his arm from her shoulder and standing straight, smoothing out his suit and fixing his tie to be presentable for the walk down to the lobby, clearly intent on leaving. There didn't seem to be much more to say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lucent, clearly upset with how Elisabeth had responded to him, breathed out a deep sigh before muttering about how impossible the girl could be. Well, he wasn't wrong. Elisabeth was just as stubborn and strong-willed as she was fierce and devoted--which is to say, a lot. But then if he knew how impossible was, or if he was at least starting to see how impossible she could be, then why not just give up on her? Why did the man insist on pursuing her? Could it be that he held some level of genuine feeling towards her? Elisabeth pursed her lips in thought, and then mentally shook her head. No, that couldn't be.

Lucent then, after a moment of silence, urged Elisabeth to believe in the dream, if not the dreamer. And while she did not completely understand his dreams or his intentions, she wanted to believe it. Lucent was a good man. He could be dangerous and he could be power-hungry, but if she condemned him for those characteristics alone then she would have to condemn every other Alpha in their world, including her own. He was a good man, with seemingly good intentions. And if what he spoke of was true, and what he was working towards was exactly what he told everyone, then she wanted this dream of his to come true.

She nodded her head and quietly spoke, "I understand. I'll be leaving, then." she gave the man a respectful bow of her head before she turned and made her way down to the lobby. She was greeted by a handful of her warriors--Caesar, Jude, Mason, Josiah, and Logan--who greeted their leader with a slight bow of their heads. "There's been a change of plans. Caesar, Josiah, and Logan, you three will be guarding a few hostages on our journey back to Evertail territory. Be gentle with them--our goal is to protect them, not strike fear into them. And..." she trailed off as her attention towards her last two men. "Jude and Mason, you two will be guarding Luna Mallory with me. Is that understood?" she questioned.

They looked between themselves and then Elisabeth before nodding their heads. "Good. Once the Fangs have handed us the hostages, we'll take separate cars back. I would rather not have all of the hostages all gathered in one vehicle." she stated, though she murmured the last part. Then if they got ambushed, it would be easier to take out the hostages. If, however, they drove separately--well, it lessened the chances of hostage losses.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

"Glad we're on the same page about something for once, Elisabeth. Now, I have to go soothe my sister before she finds something to kill besides another bottle of scotch...." Lucent stated in way of parting with a wink and one of those rare, somber smiles that he seemed to reserve only for her, heading back the way he came to the sounds of snarls and breaking glass behind them.

Elisabeth had made an understatement. Khlia was more than unhappy, she was furious, but had thus far restrained herself to drinking, raging, and breaking a good number of expensive things belonging to the Jurchen Clique...Xian Chu was there, shouting himself out of breath in his broken English at Lash, Caine, and the other Fang warriors there to restrain their leader, but none of them were willing to do more than watch. Without orders, their hands were tied when it came to his irrational twin....probably for the best, as trying to stop her venting would just give her something else to take her anger out on.

Casually, careless of the danger, Lucent walked across the room towards where his twin was slashing a beautiful tapestry to ribbons with one clawed hand while taking a generous swig from a bottle with the other and placed a gentle hand upon her shoulder. She whipped around, ready to put an end to this annoyance, only stopping at the last moment mid-swipe when she realized who it was. That didn't stop her from punching him in the face at about half-strength. Lucent fell back like a ragdoll at the impact and struck the floor heavily, seeing flashes of light and tasting blood in his mouth from a busted lip. This finally spurred the other Fangs to action, as they moved quickly to check on their collapsed leader and place themselves between the two. It was unnecessary, Khlia stopped her growling and just stared down regretfully.

"Your a sentimental fool, brother. Smart as you are, you don't realize is that everyone else isn't....you might think your offering them a choice to be better, if by that you mean 'more like you'." She huffed, still upset but visibly calming, and then knelt down to help him up with a strong forearm. "But really, you're just giving them the opportunity to sharpen their claws and wait for a chance stab you in the back with them. And now we have to work twice as hard to make sure they don't get that chance. Thanks for that, great leadership." She added with a smirk as she helped him up. Lucent just gave her a queer smile, nodded, and gestured towards the door. It was well past time he got some sleep.

"Ass..." His twin muttered as she helped walk him out.

---------------------------------------------------------

Down in the garage, Luna Mallory was waiting by the Evertail's cars, speaking with Alpha Savic and his mate, accompanied by a gaggle of nervous looking females and their pups. It was a strange look, seeing the Lunas bedecked in all their finery appearing so vulnerable. The children were a sadder sight, the older boys trying hard to act brave for their mothers and sisters, the younger ones nearly in tears, having been dragged out of bed in the middle of the night by unfamiliar warriors and told their fathers were traitors, that they wouldn't be going back home. That they didn't have homes.

"Ah, finally, Lizzie....perhaps you can shed some light as to precisely why our esteemed ally Lucent Mane had decided to saddle us with a pack-load of fussy females and squalling babes. True, I'm humbled by the show of trust, and my better half is ecstatic at the idea of having some more...refined houseguests..." He muttered, indicating his Luna where she was still engrossed in conversation with Mallory Moonhowl. "...but this whole event was his idea, you'd think he'd keep his bargaining chips close at hand."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When Elisabeth and her men stepped into the garage, she had only been expecting a few Fang guards and the hostages. Instead, she got the hostages as well as Alpha Savic and the Luna. Her men, although surprised by the Alpha's appearance, did not let his presence stop them from getting straight to work. The first three--Caesar, Josiah, and Logan, that is--gathered a few of the women and children before ushering them to one of the provided cars. The other two--Jude and Mason--worked to gather the remaining bundle of hostages, though they visibly hesitated when they reached Luna Mallory.

Not because it was Luna Mallory, but because their own Luna was so engrossed in conversation with the woman that they feared breaking it up. So, they didn't. Instead, they stood behind Luna Mallory, patiently waiting for the conversation to end. Or, until Elisabeth came up beside them and interrupted it. Elisabeth looked between the hostages to her Alpha, who was apparently not too delighted to be handling Lucent's hostages.

He wanted to know why they had been given such a task, though Elisabeth wasn't too sure herself. Lucent had said that the hostages were an important bargaining chip and that he knew that they would be safe under Elisabeth's care, but she wasn't sure how true his words were. For all she knew, there may have been another reason behind everything. "Our men have shown him that they are capable warriors, and I believe him handing off the hostages is a show of his trust and belief in us. All we have to do is keep them safe a few days. That shouldn't be too hard to handle."

Though, Elisabeth knew more than anyone that even the simplest of tasks always had hiccups. Which was why she planned on doing everything she could to account for every possible hiccup--though she wasn't too sure how good she would be at predicting and preventing them. "We should get going, Alpha Savic. I do not want to keep the hostages here for very long," she added. With that being said, Elisabeth walked over to the two chatting women and, as politely as she could, ended their conversation.

With the remainder of the hostages gathered into the second car, Elisabeth climbed in and closed the door. Then, she gave the go for the cars to begin the travel back to their territory.

Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1415161718 ... LastLast