Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [M] Imperial Battle Mage Academy [Holeypaladin and Kortaga]

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Default [M] Imperial Battle Mage Academy [Holeypaladin and Kortaga]

“Nephinae…you will be gone a while…show them the power of elves…”

“Nephinae…you better not make any mistakes or else we all have to pay for them…”

“Nephinae…I don’t why mother and father chose you…I would be better no?”

“Nephinae…” “Nephinae…” “Nephinae…” “Nephinae…” “Nephinae…” “Nephinae…”

The shocked caused her to rock in her bed. She panted as if she had been running her whole life. She got up and moved quickly to her bathroom. She needed to move in some fashion to match her emotions. As she flicked her finger to the wall giving off a small alchemical glow she looked into the mirror. She saw blond hair and blue eyes…she saw similar traces…it was her. She felt her stomache move in a bad way and she puked.

She heaved and heaved but eventually she got up. She was scared but a warrior like herself needed to face it. As she got up she noticed…black…her purple eyes stood out in the low light. She must have just seen what she feared…

Well another night of lost sleep never killed anyone. She decided to perform her morning ritual early like the last few days.

She decided to wear her hair straight into a ponytail today. She would look proper. She pulled out earrings that would match her eyes. These would be stupid to bring into battle but since she did not expect combat on the first day of a new year of school she needed to set the right impression. She was also coming in late in terms of year to the university. The teachers said they would formally introduce her since combat groups and numbers had already formed. What this basically meant is no one will know where you stand so we will introduce you so you can start picking out your pecking order.

She was going to head out at the first crack of dawn. She could not eat…the phantoms that she sometimes saw in the mirrors haunting her. She attached her sword to her hip…a black blade for a dark colored elf. She laughed a sick laugh to herself, “Fine…I’ll smash all of those expectations and make you respect me…all of you. Mother and father were not wrong about me.” She gritted her teeth and instead of doing something productive she cried until dawn. The stress had overwhelmed her and she had not even had her first day.

She met with the head of the Battlemage Division. Apparently the numbers of people in this group were far lower than the amount of actual students at the school. She admitted she had been shocked when she first showed up. If there had been this many battlemages in total even the elves would have something to worry about. The tea had been pleasant but the shocked look she got when she first met him told her everything. She was not the stereotypical elf he was expecting. She would smash his expectations too…everyone’s…

Her hair did not stand out nearly as much here as it did at home, other than being particularly slender her pointed ears were what really told her apart. Well that and her high prestige she was giving off. She was formal with everyone, treated everything seriously and with ceremony but never ill-treated anyone. These people would be the next moves and shakers of the humans. She needed to gain good tidings with them. It would be hard to balance that with beating them in magic and swordsmanship.

She was lead to the room by a page and when she got to the door the teacher noticed her. They gave out her name as she walked in through the door, “Please welcome out new transfer student from the Elvin Kingdom, Nephinae Aeneiros Chaenorin Yesqirelle. She will be learning and battling with you all starting today.” She gave a strong straightforward gaze lifting her head up and made sure not to look anyone in the eyes.

“A pleasure to meet you all, let’s us better yourselves to better serve our patrons.” The teacher then continued, “Please have a seat anywhere you like.” This was when she started to glance around the room. There were seats available but not necessarily in any of the really good places. She mentally sighed trying to make a choice as thought filled as possible. Her thoughts were slowed down slightly by the way people looked at her. She could feel the thoughts already. She needed to banish them. Nothing changed on her face but she knew if she did not decide soon the teacher would just tell her where to go.
    Activity Dates: I am most frequent Monday, Wednesday through Saturday. I am rarely free Tuesdays and Sundays though may be able to find some time.

Currently looking for friends and Rp's if you think I might fit please let me know!

Knight in Swiss Armor
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Sci fi, fantasy, etc.
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

"Very little of who you are now will matter once you are who you will become."

These words, spoken by the Master Wizard at his orientation ceremony, still held a profound impact on Siegfried's life. He almost never spoke of his past, focusing instead on his studies and his future, as he entered the most challenging program of everything the Arcane University had to offer. He paid very little attention to the race and background of the various students, as it didn't matter under Imperial law, despite the fact that most of the Imperial subjects still held their own personal bias and racism dating back to the dawn of history.

Siegfried was a graduate student, having already passed all of the necessary requirements to be an Arcane Warrior, and was studying to be an Arcane Knight... the Magister level upgrade to an Arcane Warrior. It was considered the most elite of elite, and those who succeeded in passing the harsh curriculum were adopted into the Imperial family in order to be above the laws of other kings, answering only to the Emperor himself.

Needless to say, he was the only Arcane Knight candidate in the classroom, the rest being Battlemage students. While Battlemages were quite useful indeed, and were easily worth a dozen elite soldiers each, they lacked the rare talent required to utilize the Foundry circuit which made a knight who he was. Nevertheless, Siegfried trained and worked with these Battlemages as they had many classes in common, and it was during such a class that a mysterious transfer student was introduced by the teacher.

Siegfried glanced up to see a rather pretty, dark-haired elf. He was surprised to hear that she was from the Elvin Kingdom, since he recalled from his regional studies classes that the elves of that particular region tended to have much lighter hair color, though there were other elven kingdoms where such dark coloring was a bit more common. Since she was a rare female in a primarily male classroom, most of the male students seemed to want her to sit near them... though Siegfried himself shrugged. He was quite aware of the empty seat behind him, and saw no need to point it out to the pretty transfer student.

Holey Paladin's armor by Haya

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

She waited for only another moment before she looked to the teacher and said, “Wherever you find is most advantageous I will follow your experience.” She immediately placed the decision back onto the teacher. Why should she make a decision like this in what she would consider a hostile environment?

From the outside she figured these students may think that she just entered in without any hard work. This was untrue she imagined she had been working longer than any of them. Still she had no idea how they would treat her until a free period.

The teacher on the other hand was skilled enough to get a sense of the room and he knew she needed to be in a spot that would be fair to everyone including her. As such he noticed that there was on other outlier in the room and one that did not seem all that interested in her. Maybe he would still be able to focus even if she was nearby. Yea that seemed like the best. “You may sit behind Arcane Warrior Siegfried. He spot will allow you to still see the board and mayhap give you a bit of privacy. Now take your seat so we may continue the lesson.”

She nodded and picked up her bag off of the ground. Since she had no place yet to store her belongings for each class she was carrying around all of her things. She would figure things out in time and not look so lost soon enough. She was already starting the map of the school so a tour would not be needed. She really needed to assimilate before long.

She moved quickly and efficiently behind the arcane warrior. She felt he stood out amongst his peers but why she was unsure. As she walked past she would give off the smell of forest and maybe even freshly baked bread. As she sat down she moved herself to be comfortable and quickly picked up her quill and ink. A quick analysis of the man before her was all things she liked. He seemed sharp and focused he did not look back on her at all. It showed he was dedicated to his studies something not too many of others strived for.

The current class was focused on Abjuration which was one of her fortes. While she needed to know where she was in comparison to what she was learning it did give her time to think about her situation. While she was still writing notes and things, her mind did seem to be elsewhere. At least there are not any blond elves in this group.

-----------------

Once the first class had wrapped up and the teacher began to move she knew she had about fifteen minutes until the next teacher came into the room to start class that was at least her perception she could be wrong. “Sir Siegfried…” She spoke gently almost as softly as she walked. Elves were quite good at making very little noise. She raised her voice a bit and said, “I was curious about our weekly schedules for Arcane Knight training and wanted to know how things moved.” She had no idea if everyone here was even becoming an Arcane Knight but she assumed they all were otherwise why would she be here.

She waited politely, moving a bit of her hair behind her elven ears.
    Activity Dates: I am most frequent Monday, Wednesday through Saturday. I am rarely free Tuesdays and Sundays though may be able to find some time.

Currently looking for friends and Rp's if you think I might fit please let me know!

Knight in Swiss Armor
    Sci fi, fantasy, etc.
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Siegfried didn't pay much mind to the fact that the elf girl was directed to sit behind him. It wasn't unusual for Arcane Warriors to have girlfriends while still in school, and in fact it was almost too difficult to keep them away, but most of them were simply gold diggers looking to invest in their future by marrying someone who had great expectations in life, and so he figured he'd have plenty of time to find a girl after he graduated, rather than before, so felt no pressing need to flirt with the pretty young elf girl.

Abjuration, however, was a very useful school of magic, for anyone who planned on protecting himself in battle. For a knight trained in both martial and magical combat, it would be the key defensive school against mages and warriors alike, so he payed close attention in class. After it was concluded, however, he heard the voice of the elf behind him and turned around to face her, finally taking in the fact that she was wearing her traditional elf garment rather than the uniform robes of the University.

"Yeah?" he asked her. He was surprised when she brought up Arcane Knight training seemingly from nowhere. Sure, he wore the Imperial Purple colored garments of an Arcane Knight in training, but most of the rest of the class wore either the red of the war wizards or the royal blue of the battlemages. "You're training to be an Arcane Knight? But I've never heard of a female capable of using the Foundry circuit..."

While there had been a couple females trying to become Arcane Knights in the past, almost all of them had dropped out due to lack of talent. "Next up is Divination 401, a required class," he answered her question for her, "I don't have a lot of classes in the classroom, though... it's mostly field work, these days." Since Divination 401 was an upper division class, it required Divination 301 and 302 as prerequisites... classes which he assumed Nephinae would have taken by now, even though she hadn't.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

As she moved her instrument to write out what the man spoke of, she noticed that he instead made a comment more so about the fact of what she was doing. He asked her a questions about her question which caused a blank look. Eventually though he moved onto answering her question. Next up the man had Divination 401…already…why? She felt herself already kicking her own arse over the matter. After that though he mentioned that he did not have a lot of classroom oriented classes and many more that required field based work. She figured she did not have the ability to do field based assignments. So they would be in this classroom for another class and then as an Arcane Knight trainee she would need to leave this to go somewhere else. While she figured her formal schedule would not have her following this man around everywhere at least she had not been so wrong on that front.

Going back to what he had asked her before she looked at him confused by his point about a female using a Foundry Circuit. Maybe this was something that they called one thing that the elves of her area called another thing. She was however coming her to study as an arcane knight which might have explained the mock battles and testing she had done before coming over here. They probably did not have a space for her just yet, or they were worried about her getting hurt on their soil with her direct say so. She was a diplomatic tool more so then just a casual student…they would sadly need to be careful with her.

She turned her gaze back to the man in front of her…”I assure you I am training to be an arcane knight and while I am not fully certain of what that Foundry Circuit is…the teachers have tested me thoroughly and it is the course I am studying in with the approval of the University Staff.” She said it a bit more defensively then she had intended. He doubted her like so many others did and he would just be another person she needed to prove wrong. She could also understand where he may come front. For her just to slide in from nowhere and assume a position of a difficult and prestigious position…well how would he know if she earned it.

As the teacher…whom she assumed was a Divination teacher, entered into the room she knew that he might get the say in the matter. She was told to follow an Arcane Knight trainee around provided she did not get in the way of their education. She admitted that she did not pay that much attention to the class and more so along the lines of what she needed to get done…thinking about getting her uniform and books among other things. She wanted to check out many of the other places. As she looked forward towards Siegfried she wondered if he could divine that she would be following him after this class was over. Why had the teachers picked him for her to follow…? Certainly he was not the only trainee…? Maybe he was just the easiest one to locate since he mentioned field work…he was in class now so he should be here and easy to find? She rolled her eyes as she almost ignored this following class. Thinking more on political intrigue then about looking at stars or the abyss of magic for answers.

Knight in Swiss Armor
    Sci fi, fantasy, etc.
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Siegfried felt perfectly justified in questioning the elf girl's talents when it came to the Arcane Knight curriculum. He was unsure if this transfer student knew the difference between war wizards, battlemages, arcane warriors, and arcane knights.... and since she lacked the necessary robes to designate her field of study at the time, she didn't really have a whole lot of proof that she met the requirements. Still, as she said she was training to be an Arcane Knight while denying knowledge of the Foundry Circuit in the same breath, he simply shrugged. "If you say so," he remarked, feeling no particular desire to argue with her.

He directed his attention towards the professor as she entered and began to teach the class on Divination. Much of Divination magic was based on ancient mysticism and primitive fortune telling, but there was no denying how effective it could be... and when properly studied with the excess religious element and unnecessary fluff trimmed, it was the school of magical knowledge upon which all Arcane magic was based. He knew the significance of Divination, and respected how useful it could be on various missions, though it wasn't his favorite.

As the class was finally concluded, Siegfried stood up from his desk and collect his belongings. He had combat training next, which couldn't be conducted within a classroom, and so he began to make his way out of the classroom towards the training area. The battlemage students remained, however, as their next class was Evocation 501, which wasn't part of his own curriculum. Siegfried paid little mind to what they were doing, not any particular regard to the elf girl as he made his way to the door and turned towards the training area.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

The class went on and she paid attention to some degree but she also realized the class went by fairly quickly. If that was the case it meant she really had not paid enough attention to it. I guess I’ll find out who is open to speaking with her about notes and things. This school was competitive but people also had strengths and weaknesses, working in groups for these things would benefit more than harm anyone’s chances. She would need to play her part soon to make sure she was not left to her own devices.

The man before her got up quickly, packing his things efficiently, it caught her off guard enough that she needed to quickly get up and follow him. She felt the gaze of the other students as they walked out, apparently they were the only ones leaving. She noticed something different about the robes that the man she was following her moved and the way the others were dressed. She figured she would need to ask about that at some point.

As he walked she moved up to being on his right side. He looked like a strong and dedicated individual which meant he probably did not play the games some of the other people would do here. If she asked something he would probably answer her honestly enough. She would not really know him until they fought but that would come eventually she was certain. She looked around taking into account the looks of the grounds and the simple yet beautiful efficiency of the whole thing. As they walked she looked out into the sky and felt her stomach roll over at the concept of this whole thing being up in the air. It was both a magical marvel and a nightmare in her mind.

She noticed the man had remained silent the whole trip with her. Not a single question or anything. She figured he would say something at the minimum…

“If possible I would like to know about this field work you are doing, is it mostly combat situations and dueling or does it involve more macro management and efficiently of tactics?” She glanced over to him and then added, “Also I would like to know what the proper way to address you would be should I need to contact you in the future.”

She expected him to ask her when he became her baby sitter but maybe he was not the type like that. He seemed more like the one who would find her annoying until she proved she was actually worth anything.

Knight in Swiss Armor
    Sci fi, fantasy, etc.
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

The warrior made his way silently towards his next destination, though the fact that the elf girl seemed to follow him around like a puppy wasn't lost on him. She seemed quite young, and almost lost among the halls of the university. When she finally spoke up and asked him more about his line of work, he gave a sigh, wondering why she had decided to follow him of all people, but figuring he might as well show her around if she was going to act lost anyway.

"Basically, I solve problems throughout the Empire. Once my training is completed, I'll be dispatched beyond the borders of the Empire in order to carry out the Emperor's will... but for the time being, assignments are of a domestic nature. When a king, lord, or even a local village elder faces a dilemma they lack the means of resolving locally, they'll ask for Imperial assistance... and my training involves responding to those requests."

"Typically, it's something like bandits, monster attacks, or orc raids... though occasionally I'll be required to organize the local militia or defense force for larger scale operations. Really, Arcane Knights are supposed to be all-rounders who can solve most any situation through application of might and magic... though we're not at all subtle, so those type of jobs go to someone else."

Shrugging, he said, "I'm not much for formality. You can call me Siegfried, and I'll just call you Nephinae." He remembered her name from when the teacher had introduced her to the class, though it hadn't meant much to him at the time... still, attention to detail was essential for his job, as was being able to memorize things fairly quickly.

He made his way over to the training area... essentially a gymnasium type room, laced with illusion magic that could summon forth realistic versions of any number of different opponents in order to provide effective, life-like training. The illusions could even inflict pain, as a realistic illusion could have such an effect on the mind of the trainee... though safety protocols prevented any actual death. "You training?" he asked her briefly as he stepped in to the center of the room.

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Irritation crossed her face as he sighed when she started to ask him a question. She glanced over, sorry am I bothering you crossed her mind. Did he not see any other Arcane Knights in the area she could speak to? She felt a pang of guilt but it was quickly swallowed up by everything else she was feeling. Who was this guy to dismiss her as an annoyance? Shouldn’t he be grateful that an envoy of the elves was even speaking to him? Then again…even at home she wasn’t treated as anything more than a pest or annoyance. Maybe even the humans pick up on her differences…maybe they also were disappointed in her…

She shook her head but turned it into a nod to the man…Seigfried…as he answered her question. Basically he was a government owned guildsman or adventurer. Less free but still as functional. Though here they were formally trained and made to be the best of the best. The more he spoke about it the more it seemed like that was right up her alley. She wanted to do everything, be better than everyone, and be respected. If she was going to carve out something for herself at some point…she never knew where that would be…an Arcane Knight fit the bill for what she realistically would need for the infinite possibilities of the future.

She was caught off guard when he informed her of what he would call her. Once again a pang of a nerve hit home. Who was he that he spoke to her in such a way. At least allow me to introduce myself and how I feel we should address each other based on our mutual respects. If she knew who he was she would talk down or up to him but he kept everything tight. She was at a disadvantage with him and the informality of it made her rather uncomfortable.

She admired the school as they walked. She did not feel a need to speak to him anymore since it was such a hassle to deal with her. If she found another Arcane Knight maybe she would see if they were more willing to work with her. As they were walking the fact that she was not wearing a uniform really began to stand out. She needed to get one directly after whatever he was doing.

Eventually they came to something like a training hall. She hesitated as the man walked into the room. Apparently this place was full of magic…decently strong magic at that. She grew wary to a degree and when he asked if she would do some training he just sort of kept going. What she did, did not matter to him. As annoying as it was…she like the freedom of it. She thought she would be more chained down here then she was being treated…is that how he was instructed?

She quickly walked forward into the training hall and immediately removed her shoes. They were too formal for anything like sword combat. Plus…she felt at home without shoes on. She never liked keep her feet of the ground…though the floors here were not the same as her homeland…not that she expected it to be as such.

As she came forward she started to stretch her arms back to back. Once she sat down and started to stretch her legs she asked, “Are we together or separate? Swords only, magic only, or both? Friends or enemies?” These three questions for her determined what kind of training they would be doing. Also considering her lack of a blade on her she would hopefully be shown where the swords for practicing were. She did flash a playful smile as she stretched.

Training is where you could only be who you were. No lies, no faking…you just do…

Knight in Swiss Armor
    Sci fi, fantasy, etc.
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Truthfully, Siegfried was a bit interested in the elf girl, though he tried not to show it. It seemed it was working, however, to the point where she even seemed annoyed by his display as he made his way to the training room. There weren't actually any weapons in sight, as students were expected to bring their own, which Siegfried had done, though he wasn't visibly carrying any.

His eyes settling on to the pretty elf as he awaited her reply, he gave shrug at her answer. "If we were to fight against each other, we would do so in the Arena, as gladiators. This is a training room for cooperative combat... so we'll be on the same side, fighting against illusory opponents. Obviously, abjuration magic designed to dispel illusions is forbidden... aside from that, whatever weapons or magic you prefer, are fine."

Noting how she hadn't brought a weapon with her, he figured he'd need to supply her with one. Drawing from what he knew of elven weaponry and the fact that she had mentioned swords, he used his Foundry circuit to conjure forth an elven scimitar, handing it to the girl. "One sword, or two?" he asked her, noting that due to their superhuman agility, elves often fought with two blades... something which the vast majority of humans, even the best of them, lacked the coordination for.

As he waited for her to specify whether she wanted a second weapon, he focused on his Foundry circuit again, and a suit of heavy plate armor began to form around him, eventually covering him completely. "Need armor?" he asked her, trying to figure out if he knew of any suits in her size as he conjured forth a polearm in his hand, figuring he'd use a reach weapon if she was using close range weaponry.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast