Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: [M] War in the Dirt - Patriots IC

The Last Remembrancer
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Modern times or Sci-Fi games.
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

"This is some fucking bullshit." Hassek growled. He tapped the magnocs on the rocks, thinking. The ground was shit-all good for a sneaking advance until night fell, his men would stick out like a sore thumb under the blazing sun, and who knew how long that would be?

A bums rush across the broken ground was probably suicide, but its where his thoughts kept turning to. But he'd probably loose as many men to twisted ankles and broken legs as enemy fire, crossing that broken ground at a run. Never mind that it was still hotter than Horus's own arsehole out there. Throw in the prepared defenses and it was the worst kind of shooting gallery.

So that left channelling forces down the roads. He wished those militia reinforcements had brought some armour. Flanking fire onto the roads would be murder. He gestured for the vox, and Ulf scrambled up to him, pushing past the rangers and his own lads and lasses.

"Phi actual, this is Blizzard Actual. We've got a lot of open ground to cover, 2 miles of of hardpan, and two zeroed in roads covered by imp arty. Recommend a three pronged assault, infantry down the middle, auto's down the roads to draw heavier fire. I'll pull up a mortar platoon and our captured guns, see if we can lay down suppression, but regardless, if the Imps are halfway competent, its gonna be bloody. Our only other option would be a wide encirclement via the foothills three miles north-north-east, and I think thats going to take too much time."

He clicked off the transmit button and looked around.

"Runner! Get the commander for the militia up here. We need to talk about his part in the glorious revolution."

And how its going to involve his men going into the grinder face first, rather than mine.

Wolf of the Highlands
    Fantasy, sci-fi, steampunk, action
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Default Highlander X Dakkagor post

Varnin Maxim lowered his own 'noculars as a runner came to him accompanied by a militiaman, and he wasted no time getting to the Damned 88th.
    "Colonel Hassek, I presume," The lanky, bedraggled looking man said, dressed in ragged fatigues and scavenged, repainted guard armor. The man walked with a sort of gliding grace you wouldn't normally see in one such as him. Like a large cat stalking prey. He extended a hand for a shake. "Colonel Varnin Maxim. Disappointing we couldn't have met under better circumstances. You've called me up to discuss plans?"

Hassek took the mans hand in a quick crushing grip, then released to gesture at the broken ground, making sharp chopping motions as he laid it out.

"We have a lot of broken ground to cover in the centre here, bracketed by these two roads. The roads are the best ground for heavy armour and tanks, but the dead ground in the centre is going to be slow going even for my boys and girls." He paused, rubbing the back of his neck. "I've been thinking about those foothills beyond the town. If we could get heavy weapons up onto them, we could shoot down into their perimeter and allow a push from here to close." He shrugged. "Long walk in this weather though."

"That it would," Varnin said as he looked over the terrain from this vantage. Lots of shell craters to provide cover, but could be easy pickings for well placed artillery. Lot of open ground besides. Armor would have been nice, but probably would be blown to the warp and back by artillery.

"You want to take the hills while you have my pack advance?" He asked, "You do realize that's suicide."
    There was no question about it. It could probably be done, but at what cost?

"Its not going to be a cake walk for anyone." Hassek shrugged. "Someone is going to have to cross the ground, and the longer we sit here with a thumb up our arse arguing the longer the Imps will have to dig in and get organized. My girls and boys have already done a storm operation in this bastard heat and we don't have a lot more to give. If we suppress the imps and put enough smoke down, it should keep losses down to a minimum."

"Hmph. Maybe if we can take out some of those damn guns, we might be able to get some close air." Varnin sighed, "I don't like it. Anyone we tries to run across those plains are going to get blasted to the warp and beyond. Whoever moves will need to be smart and fast."

Varnin scratched at his neck a little in thought, "Get that artillery up here and start blasting in there as soon as possible." He finally grumbled, "My men 'll be moving soon. At least we should be fine fodder for their guns while you get set up. Get snipers set up to catch any heads that pop out, if you can. And try to keep your heads down, they'll start pounding us as soon as they spot anything moving close enough to zero in on."

"I'll have my sniper teams move up to this ridge and provide some cover. Winds good so they should have a good range. You just worry about getting across that dead ground. Wait for me and mine to get into position and start putting fire onto the base before you make your mad dash to glory."

Hassek clapped the officer on the back.

"And try not to get fucking fragged yourself. Its nice to talk to a patriots officer who doesn't have a stick all the way up his arse."

"Just know, I'm blamin' you if we die out there," he said and gave a good smack on his back as a return for the favor. "Just make sure you got our backs."

Varnin started back to his unit, and called all of his officers together.
    "Alright," Varnin sighed, "We're going to move against the town in fifteen minutes. Get your men dusted up to blend in as much as possible. Keep any scopes covered to prevent glare. Same for everything else that might cause it. Stay low and out of sight. Stay spread out so we lose as few men to artillery as possible. Any questions?"
    Stark, the name given to my ancestor for a feat of bravery. It means Strength, or Strong.
    The motto give: fortiorum fortia facta (made stronger and braver)

I say, let us all be fortiorum fortia facta.

Spoiler: I'm an Ajin! 

Spoiler: extra 

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

Spoiler: Destruction maniple Alpha Rho Phi, the Damned 88th, Teph Min militia - Marioch 
    Spoiler: My RP links 

PM me for novelised versions of any of my RPs, or ones that I have participated in. Set by the awesome Karma.

Wolf of the Highlands
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

"Of course they bloody rigged the place," Tored Norin growled' standing as still a possible, as he noticed a mine between his own legs. No one moved in that small crater as they stared.
    He turned on his Vox, "At least no one's been blown to bloody hits yet. Be careful, and keep your head low."

Norin changed the channel on his Vox to the Wolf's general broadcast channel, "If you've not noticed yet, you're lucky," Norin hissed into the Vox. "There are bloody mines everywhere. So be careful as you move, or you may not see another bloody day after."

"Teams, sound off if you've heard," Maxim's voice commanded over the Vox.

"Team Beta, copy"
    "Team Delta, Copy"
    "Team Charly, Copy"
    "Team Foxtrot, Copy"
    "Team Goffer, Copy"
    "Team Hotel, Copy"

"Oh, F**k! Where the hell is-" Someone started to say before another voice started to crackle over the Vox, heavy with static.

"Sig-... 2-2, plea- Re-eat- Signal 2-2. Too mu-... 'fearence."

Norin let go of the button for a second as he growled "Bloody Voxes, if it's not the Voxes it's always something bloody else." He spoke into the Vox again "Team Echo, there are mines everywhere. Repeat, mines everywhere."

The box was silent for a second.
    "We thou- ... you sho-- know th-- .... mines everywh-...."

Norin swore he could hear some groans and hands smacking faces.
    "Bloody hell" he muttered.

++++++++++++++++

Sisilia was in one of the rear teams, Hotel, with the slight hope of keeping their greatest asset out of direct danger and still have her close to hand to blow up some heads.

She was huddled in another crater in some of the smallest armor they could find, and it still didn't fit quite right.

As they had been told, there were mines everywhere. And they had to watch their step.

Some of the forward teams could be seen scuttling across the ground to another crater.
    They'd be moving themselves here in a minute.

She had to chastise herself when she thought of swearing by the emperor.

She was once again reminded to keep low, be fast, and to watch for those f***ing mines. Like she had to be told a third time.
    Stark, the name given to my ancestor for a feat of bravery. It means Strength, or Strong.

The Last Remembrancer
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

+Blizzard Phantom 2 for Blizzard Actual. Repeat, Blizzard Phantom 2 for Actual.+

Hassek took the proffered vox horn and held it up to his sizzling head. He wished he was out of this accursed heat.

"Go for Actual."

+Chief, the Imp armour is not, repeat not, present in the compound.+

"Not present or not visible?"

+Not buggering there at all sir. I can see right down into their perimeter from the ridgeline. They have trucks, infantry, emplaced positions, but no armour.+

"Blizzard Phantom 2, hold position and prep to offer supporting fire for the advance. Await further orders on this channel."

+Confirmed Blizzard actual. Hold on to our arses and get ready for a shit-show+

Jarn rocked back onto his heels and looked around. Where in the hell did you stash a bunch of tanks and not have them be visible? Had they broken off completely and withdrawn? Been evacuated somehow?

Or, most likely, were they lurking nearby waiting to pounce as the infantry extended themselves for an attack.

Ulf fiddled with the vox and offered the horn again. Hassek knew already who he would be talking to.

"This is Blizzard Actual to all commands. We have no sight on enemy armour, repeat, we don't know were the enemy tanks are. Does anyone have a line to orbital track or a fly-over? Because if we don't know where that armour is, its gonna fuckin' screw us when we go for that assault."

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

Spoiler: Destruction maniple Alpha Rho Phi, the Damned 88th, Teph Min militia - Marioch 

PM me for novelised versions of any of my RPs, or ones that I have participated in. Set by the awesome Karma.

Wolf of the Highlands
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

"Get down unless you want to be bloody chunks everywhere!" A man with Norin shouted over the mortar and fire as he moved to leave the crater.

"What the hell are you doing?" Norin demanded.

"I'm clearing for those toasters!" Was the reply as the man got out and ran a few meters before turning and blasting the tank buster.
    Shrapnel flew everywhere, and the man was shoved into another crater by the force of the explosion with a resounding "F**K!"

"F**k," Norin said, "Move to the next crater. And don't get turned to atoms!"
    He ran out and doe for the next crater where the man lay, blood from a gash in his head seeming to be the most of the bleeding.
    "Someone patch him up, quickly!"

"Well," he man said weekly, it was hard to hear over the explosions, "That worked."

"S***t." Norin said and pulled out the Vox, "This is Wolf team Alpha to the bloody toasters. Watch the road, it's littered with tank busters! And that goes for everyone bloody else!"

"Alright, we move forward!" Norin said after he was done addressing anyone behind or ahead of them, "Just don't get blown to F***ing bits!"

"F***! we lost Freddy!"

+ + + + + + + + + + + +

"S***T!" A man shouted, "I can't hear!"
    "They bloody saw us!"

"Move up! let's go!" Their team leader shouted, "To the next crater!"

They went over the ridge of the crater and saw smoke everywhere.
    Everyone rushed over to the next crater as fast as they could as another round of mortar fire fell around them.

"F***, my arm!" A man shouted as he fell into the crater. He must have been hit by some shrapnel.

"Sis! Can't you throw up a shield or something!?!?" Someone asked.

"I'm still barely trained!" She shouted back.

"Well, you can at least do something!"

Another round of mortars fell around them.

"GO!"

And they went again, Sisilia trying to form any sort of barrier around them. The effort was making her pant, more than running around in the ill-fitting armor was.

+ + + + + + + + + + + +

Nores dove into another crater as mortar and bolter shots fell around him.
    He was probably lucky not to be riddled with holes.

"S***t!" Someone shouted next to him, "my A**, I got shrapnel up my A**!"

"Welcome to the club!" Another man barked a laugh as more mortar shells fell around them.

They were one of the closer teams to the wall. Team Foxtrot.

"This is Wolf team Alpha to the bloody toasters. Watch the road, it's littered with tank busters! And that goes for everyone bloody else!"

"Well, that's just great!" Someone else said, "Now how are the bloody toasters supposed to get here?!"

"They probably could get here in one piece if they had any real brains. How do they even think with all those wires?"

"Enough chatter!" Their leader said as another round of mortars fell, "Move!"

Over the ridge they went and back into the fire, bolter shots rang out in the heavy smoke barely missing in most cases until they managed to get into the next one as more shells fell around them.

"Man, this is hell." Nores said.

"It might as well be the bloody warp!"

+ + + + + + + + + + + +

Colonel Maxim watched grimly as the field turned to hell.

No tanks to be seen, tank busters on the road, and all hell broke loose way too soon. And on top of that, they might not get anything more for 30 minutes. A bloody long time in a battle.

He raised his magnocs to see the field. The smoke made it hard for both sides to see.
    He scanned around the field and off it, hoping maybe to get a glimpse of something that might help them.

The Replicant
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)

Spoiler: The Damned 88th, Teph Min militia - Marioch 

The Last Remembrancer
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

"Blizzard Phantom 2, open up with whatever you've got! Knock out the overwatch now!"

+Confirm that Actual, going loud+

Across the ridgeline, men and women of the Damned 88th rose up, firing full auto blitzes of las and tossing frags and smoke grenades. The punishing autocannon and heavy bolter fire slackened and fell off as confusion reigned for a few brief minutes.

Jarn turned and roared at the batteries stashed behind him in safety.

"You've got your coordinates! Open fire!"

Eighteen 'tunks' sounded, followed by another dozen, then another. Whistling mortar shells arced through the boiling sky to land around and on the Imperial frontline positions, frag rounds driving Imperials into cover or tossing their broken bodies into the air. It wasn't alot of fire, but it all helped reduce what was coming in at the Militia and Mechanicus.

Jarn watched the firefights on the ridgeline, the sparkling lines of las and the clouds of smoke rolling off the heights. A few weapon positions had opened up again, some against the Seperatists, some against the Imperials where the damned had overran a nest in good enough condition. Jarn knew his boys and girls would fire until the loaded magazine ran out and then reposition, not wanting to draw heavy counter fire that would pin them down.

Wolf of the Highlands
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Nores panted as bolter fire flew overhead.

His group had caught up with those up front and was hunkered down in a rocky crevice for protection.
    Some of the other guys were looking over and trying to give some return fire.
    One guy fell back with a singed face.
    Nores checked for a pulse, and found none.

He swallowed, the face of a dead man not helping his nerves in the situation as another man fell back into the hole with a hand to his eyes.
    "S***!" He said "I got dust in my eyes. F***!"

The laz blasts lessened and a series of explosions followed.

"Go go go!" Tored Norin shouted as he rose up and charged with he continued to fire back at the now chaotic defensive lines.
    Many followed suit.

Nores took some deep breaths and charged out with a mighty war cry, charging the prefabs and tossing a grenade as he went.

Imperials recovered and swung their guns to fire on the wolf pack, and chaos continued as men fell around Nores. He felt a few stings, but ignored them. He couldn't stop now.

More grenades were tossed by others, and more gun emplacements and protected positions were littered with frag shrapnel.

He ran up to the prefabs and got below a window. An imperialist guard looked over and tried to shoot him, but he grabbed the man, hauled him out and stabbed him several times with his knife and continued to breath heavily.
    He stared at the blood on his hands. He was still not really used to killing.

Another guard fell by him, as one of the pack had seen him and shock and took out the guard.
    "Come on, Nores. Get it together!" Jorden said before getting shot in the shoulder and fell.

Nores swing around and traded shots with the guard through the hole in the defenses and downed the guard.
    He crouched to check on Jorden who was clutching his shoulder.
    "Welp, I think I'm out." Jorden said through gritted teeth. "Go. Get going you B************, before they're all gone. Go... go kicked their A******* for me."

"Right... right." Nores said and hopped through the hole and back into the fray.

++++++++++++++++++

Sisilia could see the chaos from their position, and it hurt to see those who cared for her get torn to pieces. Almost like using her abilities too much.

She tried to steel her emotions, to keep them in check. But it was hard.
    She reached out, and it was almost like a wave of force left her and headed straight for the defensive line, tearing up the ground on it's destructive path and tearing a large gap through the prefabs. The pain that came a counterpoint to the sense of loss for her comrades, and she sat down and clutched her head against it.

"Crap!" Some one shouted, probably looking on the destruction she had just caused.

Arms engulfed her, "Hey, hold in there. That's enough." The voice said, on edge and forceful, "We don't want you going nuts on us now."

"Shut it, it's not helping." Someone else said.

"He's just trying to help." Another jumped in.

"Take five, Sisilia. Rest for a minute." The head of the group said, "James, Brenna, Calvan. Stay with her, keep her safe. Everyone else, with me. Forward!"

Sisilia wanted to say something, but something restrained her. And with the pain and worry came flashes.

++++++++++++++++++

Bitan thundered through the new hole in the prefabs.
    He had seen the wave pass through and tear it to shreds and could only think of Sisilia. She had such power, yet with it, much danger. She'd need to be careful in coming days. But now was not the time.

He barreled through and halted long enough to bring a mid-bolter to bear and let loose a barrage on the guardsmen trying for a new defensive line just past the prefabs. He became a rallying point as men both in fair condition and bloodied formed up beside him, taking cover where possible, and adding their blasts to his own.

The assault halted there. But they were inside now and, soon, the enemy would break.

++++++++++++++++++

Bender crouched low, and stood a ways back as he and a few others continued to pick out AT mines. Deako was back in another crater close by, trying to hit some of the cliff side nests. Of all the man's claims if being a crack shot, he still hadn't seen it for himself.

Not too much farther from the main fighting now, but they still had stray bolts and the occasional mortar shell to worry about.

He gritted his teeth as more shrapnel whizzed by him from another shell.
    Did it slow down? Wasn't there more earlier?
    No time for that. Just clear a way for those clankers.
    Where were they anyhow? Maybe they could help make a way for themselves.

+++++++++++++++++

Maxim saw the chaos. And he saw some things that could help.
    "All teams, This is chief." he said over the Vox to the Tel Min Militia, "Form up and hold, wait for the bots. Goffer, what's your status?"

"We've just regrouped and are ready to let loose," was the reply. Goffer team had split up into smaller groups to meet up closer on the heights. They were probably the best hunters in the militia, and getting where they had without much trouble might show just that.

"See what you can do about those cliff nests, and maybe whatever artillery they have left. I don't want them blowing us away now that we're so close."

++++++++++++++++++

"Yes sir, we're on it." Zen said and slipped the vox back in his breast pocket before motioning for the others to spread own and gestured for targets.

They all tried to pick spots that had a good view of their preferred targets, and good cover.

they were still too far to make out faces in those bolter nests on the cliffs, but they were just higher enough, some making their way to smaller ledges, to have a bit of a view into some of them. Not the easiest shots though. Getting their attention would make things very interesting.

Zen set himself up for the nests with five others, while the other six took up positions with a better view of the compound.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast