Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1718192021 LastLast

Thread: (M) The Winter Thaw (Stormy & Siks)

The Dragon Lady
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    I will try to play anything as long as I'm familiar with the premise.
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Arayna chuckled lightly when he finally agreed to let her use her magic for a cleansing spell. "Well, if you didn't manage to burn it down while you were attempting a potion then I should have no problem avoiding it. Besides... it's a lot easier for me than cooking."

Finishing up her meal as well, she waved his words off lightly. "No, what you should do is relax and keep from pushing yourself until you are fully recovered, you stubborn goat. We'll still manage, even if you need a day or two longer." She stood then and collected their plates and mugs before washing them up in the bin.
    Stormy's 1X1 recruitment thread!
    Spoiler: Don't lie to yourself, you know you want to look. 

Red Ninja
    Fantasy is my best, but I can do and like just about everything.
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

The old Mar groaned lowly and hobbled his way over to his armchair in front of the fire sitting heavily down. "By the Brother's I hope that doesn't turn out to be the case, the winter's have been coming sooner and sooner to these parts in the last few years. As of now we won't have enough to get us and the horses through winter. There's also firewood to chop and other chores." He felt himself desiring to stand up but a sudden head rush made him drop back into the chair with a sigh as he watched Arayna clean the dishes smirking as he took his time to watch her bounce around in his shirt. "At least I have a nice view to gawk at."

Xbox One Gamertag: Free Today56 just say who you are first.
    Breath deep as the snow falls around you. Let it fill your lungs and purify the fires of doubt within you.

Spoiler: The stories I've written x50 

The Dragon Lady
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

As time passed, so to did Volare's mystery illness. As days rolled into weeks, the harvear season had quickly set upon them. Arayna wouldn't know by her own experience, but this year's harvest seemed much bleaker than past seasons. What wasn't diseased and rotting on the vine was withered to half it's typical harvest size. Arayna puzzled over the strange plant sickness while Volare seemed to mutter a string of curses a few rows over. It was a stressful time for the duo, being so close to winter's arrival. Over the past few weeks, Arayna has to rest more and more as time went by and now, as Volare was distracted, aslender hand moved to protectively hold her still small enough to conceal baby bump through the baggy tunic she wore. Try as she might to not think about it, the drastic lack of healthy food-bearing plants in the field would barely keep them fed through the winter without a brand new baby wo worry about. She found herself wondering more and more as the days passed now, whether it had truly been a good idea to not drink the potion given to her by the one peddler woman.

Red Ninja
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

A deep sigh rolled out of his lips as he tossed yet another pile of dead crops into the rapidly growing pile of dead crops. "How in the Hunters' hell! Is this happening?!" He growled standing and kicking the pile of dead plants. Corn, wheat, tomatoes, potatoes, carrots all of them were dead or on the way to being dead. None of the soil tricks he knew helped, he even used some old potions an alchemist had given him to revive the fields.

It's been like this for weeks nothing had worked. At this rate they were both gonna starve, they could hunt he supposed. But with winter coming most animals would be hibernating or would have moved further South before the first snowfall. Now if it was just him he could simply drop Matron off in Sàmhach and take Grim afield while he hunted and foraged for the winter. But with Arayna he wouldn't be able to go so far, she was coming along well learning to live rough. But weeks or maybe a couple of months living and hunting in the wilds would be too much for her. He wasn't even sure if he had enough gold to pay for the supplies they would need.

Rubbing his face wearily he moved to where the woman was taking a long drink from his canteen. "Any clue why this is happening?" He asked sighing again.

Breath deep as the snow falls around you. Let it fill your lungs and purify the fires of doubt within you.

The Dragon Lady
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

With a heavily troubled sigh, Arayna shook her head as she tossed another withered plant onto the pile. "I've read about blights in some of your books, but even blight doesn't affect so many different crops at once… I can think of no natural reason for it."

The she elf leaned heavily on her hoe for a moment and shook her head again before a sudden idea teased at her thoughts as her gaze fell back to the field. "...unless it's not natural at all…" Glancing back to Volare, she pushed herself to standing. With slow steps, she made her way to the center of the field and knelt down on one knee before leaning to place her right hand against the dirt.

Closing her eyes, Arayna focused her energy, reaching out with it in order to try to detect the possible cause. She could nearly taste lingering traces of a curse like brackish water on the back of her tongue. A magical cause was the absolute last thing she wanted to mention at this point, given his predisposition to the craft, but she could not keep it from him. "Volare… do you still have enemies that still live? Ones capable of complex magics and curses?"

Red Ninja
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Volare let out a tired almost growling sigh brushing dirt from his hand. "Most of my enemies are Elves and Dwarves so the better question is which ones are dead. As for magic that's most of the Elves, but I'm here under a Royal Protection Decree from your father so they'd know better than to try and earn the ire of a Snow Elf Chieftain."

Sitting down on the covered water barrel he placed his face in his hands. "So if this is really magic, it's someone outside the usual courts and battlefields of our people. Not sure who I pissed off to want me dead like this though. I need to go see if I have enough coin to buy supplies." Getting up off the barrel he trudged slowly back to the house a hand on his hip and the other worriedly running it's fingers through his long white hair.

Red Ninja
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

( bump v.v )

The Dragon Lady
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Arayna was silent as Volare answered, pondering allowed as to who might have been behind their most recent woes. When he stood and began to make his way back to the house, the she-elf stayed behind. With a troubled sigh and a hand subconsciously stroking her lower stomach, she turned her sights toward the withered fields. Whoever had caused this must have been powerful.

Making her way to the center of the field, she knelt and pressed a hand to the soil. Closing her eyes, she opened the metaphysical doors of her mind and reached out, trying to establish exactly what curse or hex was used. Countering the fallout properly depended heavily on recognizing exactly what spell was used. Arayna could feel the lingering press of it, somewhere just below the surface, and frowned. She could recognize the feel of the hex, but could not seem to place exactly where she knew it from.

If it weren’t for the small life growing within her, she would have tried to undo it with just her own power. Unfortunately the process of undoing a hex was incredibly taxing even for the highest ranking snow elf mages without a substantial sacrifice of blood. She was certain Volare would not be willing to offer up one of his horses for the ritual and to attempt it without the offering of blood would most certainly put the developing babe in extreme duress.

No, she could not use her own powers to help without convincing him to allow her to summon blood magic. A goat would be enough to put an end to the blight, a cow might even provide enough to restore at least one field to decent health. Then again, once the hex would be broken, the caster would know almost instantly that their efforts had been thwarted. Still… it didn’t seem like they had many options left available to them at this point.

With a resolute nod to herself, she stood and brushed the dirt from her hands. She would bring the possible solution to Volare. With any luck, he would be willing to listening.

(It still lives!)

Red Ninja
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Volare grumbled quietly as he slowly counted the contents of the small safe he kept in his closet. He was around six gold coins short of having the supplies he and Arayna would need for the coming winter. Maybe the woman had some coins stashed in her bodice somewhere. The thought made him chuckle lightly before he banged his clenched fist on the table knocking over the carefully counted coins.

Hardly caring at this point the former warrior stood up rubbing his face tiredly before moving to the cabinet to pour himself a small glass of Snow Elf whiskey. Maybe he could call in some favors in town and get the rest of the money or find some extra work to bring it in. There was also the option of selling his old soldiering gear. Snow Elf weapons and armor are quite highly prized, the craftsmanship is ranked right next to Dwarven and Orcish arms and armor. And Volare's were of an even finer quality because they were crafted by the Chief's former Forgemaster, Idogril who died a short while after the gear was made. A Snow Elf warrior never parts with his weapons and armor and is usually buried with it, but he was a farmer now so he wouldn't need them.

But still he didn't think he'd ever part with them. Moving quietly to his room he pulled his heavy steel armor from the rack as well as his greatsword and carried them to the kitchen table and dropped it down on top of the coins looking over at it all sighing deeply.

The Dragon Lady
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Knowing that his mood had darkened, Arayna took her time crossing the field to return to the house. Suggestions of magic were tricky at the best of times, but at this point there was little else the she-elf could think to do. As the door opened though, her eyes fell to the armor and sword splayed out on the kitchen table along with a small pile of coins in front of Volare.

What she had planned to say in an attempt to broach the topic and sway him toward the use of magic was gone in an instant. Even she knew how important a warrior’s weapon and armor were to them, it was like an extension of their own body. It was obvious to her now that the situation was much more desperate than what her inexperience had originally led her to believe.

His back was to her as the door was quietly closed and she stood there silent for a long moment, trying and failing to think of something -anything to say. She felt powerless in that moment and completely at a loss for what to do. Without a word, she silently returned to her room and closed the door.

Rubbing the back of her neck with both hands in exasperation over her lack of knowing what to do, she began to pace. Arayna had never had to face problems like this before, nor had she ever had to worry about trying to comfort another in such a difficult situation. What would her father do? ...Her father.

Her pacing halted in an instant as the memory clicked into the forefront of her mind, her gaze sliding back to the small ebony wood owl figurine on the table. It was a cleverly fashioned little keepsake box and had been the only thing her father had given her himself before she was sent away. She felt a sudden tightness in her chest as she remembered what he had said as he pressed it into her hands.

“You WILL learn deference, child, but… never forget where you came from.”

She had refused to even open it out of sheer spite… until now. Biting her lip, she crossed the room and plucked the carved box from the table. It took a surprising amount of effort to keep her nervous hands from shaking as they slowly cracked it open. Tears of relief were quick to fill her eyes at what she saw hidden within, a quiet laugh that was nearly a sob escaping her lips as she smiled.

Moments later, she stepped back out of her room to find Volare still staring at the gear he was mentally preparing himself to part with. With quickened steps, Arayna came up behind him and wrapped him in a tight hug from behind. She held him tight for a long moment before finally moving one of her balled hands so that it was out in front of him. As her pale fingers uncurled, their answer glittered up at him in the dim light that spilled from the window.

Resting in her palm was a beautiful flawless sapphire, big as a grape, and as blue as the Glacial Sea on a sunny day. She nuzzled her cheek against his shoulder before kissing it softly. “It seems as though my father didn’t send me away penniless after all.” The soft quaver in her voice revealing just how relieved she felt in that instant.

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1718192021 LastLast