Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: (M) The Winter Thaw (Stormy & Siks)

The Dragon Lady
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    I will try to play anything as long as I'm familiar with the premise.
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

His quick response took Arayna by surprise, but a hint of dark malevolence flared behind her widened eye as he grasped her chin and spoke. When he turned and left, the closing of the door gave a weight to his words that hit her chest like the kick of a horse. Hugging herself tight, she sank to the edge of the bed and released a breath she hadn’t realised she was holding. For the first time in her life, she was truly unshielded by her namesake and its protections, left completely vulnerable to whatever may befall her at the hands of her ward.

Beneath the thick blanket of her anger and resentment, she was terrified. Stories of less fortunate women in similar situations were all too commonly passed around the high courts as a warning to keep other women of court in line. Now she was counted amongst them. The inescapable finality of her fate rushed over her in a roaring wave of realization. Dropping her face into her hands, she wept quietly until she could weep no more. With tear-stained cheeks, she lowered herself to the bed and turned her back to the door, curling in on herself before slipping into a restless sleep.
    Stormy's 1X1 recruitment thread!
    Spoiler: Don't lie to yourself, you know you want to look. 

Red Ninja
    Fantasy is my best, but I can do and like just about everything.
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Volare's keen ears heard the woman's quiet sobs and simply sighed shaking his head. Even retired he was a Drill Sergeant, but it was a hard truth the woman needed to hear. He could and have been running this farm by himself, but now that he had someone around to help he was going to get it.

He sighed again and did his best to focus on preparing dinner. He'd give her time to get used to being here, but winter will be coming soon and that means it was harvest season and two people will get it done much faster than just him.

Xbox One Gamertag: Free Today56 just say who you are first.
    Breath deep as the snow falls around you. Let it fill your lungs and purify the fires of doubt within you.

Spoiler: The stories I've written x50 

The Dragon Lady
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

At least an hour had passed since exhaustion had ushered her to sleep. With the scent of cooking food in the air, she finally stirred. Sitting up, she rubbed her hands down her face and sighted before standing and crossing to the wash basin. Methodically, she washed away the tell-tale traces of her shattered confidence and dried off with the piece of cloth left there for the purpose before looking back at the closed door. It had been several days since she had had a decent meal not simply given keep starvation at bay and the smells that filled the home were making her mouth water.

She tossed the cloth back onto the wash table and shook her head, still not ready to face him again until she absolutely had to. Instead, she busied herself with unpacking what few possessions she was allowed to take with her. Her one change of clothes and simple shoes, she put away into the dresser. On the table, she placed her brush and a small figurine of an owl fashioned from ebony wood. Finally, she withdrew a small piece of parchment and stared at it for a long moment. Etched onto its smooth side was a charcoal likeness of her parents. Turning her head, she placed the image face-down on the table as if even the simple act of viewing it hurt.

Red Ninja
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

The sound of sizzling meat and boiling water filled his ears and the wonderful smell making his stomach rumble quietly. He was a simple cook so it was just steak, boiled vegetables and a warm cider her made earlier in the week. Placing his utensils down he moved to Arayna's door and knocked firmly. "Dinner's ready lass." Was all he said before going back to the kitchen.

The food would simmer for a bit while he set the table for two. His table was small, but it would give the woman enough space to keep him at a distance if she chose. It only took him a few seconds to get the plates, utensils, and food served up and ready for consumption.

Breath deep as the snow falls around you. Let it fill your lungs and purify the fires of doubt within you.

The Dragon Lady
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

So lost in thought was she that the sound of his approach didn’t even register until the knock at the door, giving her a start. Taking a deep breath to steady herself, she opened the door and stepped out. She watched him finish setting up the table as she stepped out of the hall. Before she could muster herself to speak, her stomach gurgled loud enough to make her drop her head in embarrassment. “...It certainly smells delicious.” For that brief instant, her tone and demeanor seemed completely devoid of her previous pretentiousness.

However, hungry as she was, she remained standing; as was expected of all females in the high courts, until her host was seated. It was more force of habit than slight.

Red Ninja
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Volare nodded to her words then motioned to the seat opposite of him. "You needn't wait on me young one please you must be hungry. I forgot to grab our drinks." Moving back into the kitchen corner of the large central room the old Elf pulled a hefty looking keg from the cupboard and nestled it into the crook of his right arm the muscles bulging slighty as he brought it to the table and set it down on a side table easily within both of their reaches.

Grabbing two wooden tankards he filled them up and placed one by the woman's plate before taking a long drought of his own as he sat down to begin eating.

The Dragon Lady
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

She watched him retrieve the keg as she settled into her chair and, for the first time since arriving, really looked at him. He was still in surprisingly prime physical shape for being retired and living alone. He had a stern, well formed face, and there seemed to be a subtle hint softness to him when his patience wasn’t being tried. She caught herself staring when he returned and shook herself out of it.

Clearing her throat, she took up her knife and fork and tucked in. Barely suppressing the audible Mmm.. as she ate and drank, she had to put visible effort into keep her pace in check, lest she abandon all her hard taught table manners completely.

Red Ninja
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

The warrior smiled echoing her expression. "Thank you lass, it's a simple meal when compared to the roast pits and powerful meads of the Chief's longhouse. But out here this is banquet that sticks to your ribs and gets you through the cold nights." He took a pull of his drink then wiped his mouth before going back to his steak.

The Dragon Lady
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

She nodded but didn't pause to speak, barely even looking up from her plate. Simple, perhaps, but it certainly beats stale bread and scraps of dried meat. She gave a short huff of a laugh at the thought, finishing off her meal in record time.

Draining the rest of her tankard, she dabbed her lips clean with her napkin and sat back in her chair with a soft sigh of satisfaction. For a moment, it seemed as though she would maintain her silence.

Letting herself slowly take in her surroundings again, she finally brought herself to fully meet his gaze once more. “Well... you're certainly a better cook than you are a decorator. At least the meals won’t be bleak.”
    Last edited by StormyNyte; 01-19-2019 at 01:23 AM.

Red Ninja
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Volare chuckled and nodded at the compliment. "Thank you Arayna, simple is what I do best. It's how I acted like a solider same as a commander. I let the Lords and Ladies have all the luxuries and fine carved furniture, the fancier your possessions the more likely you are to be robbed. We're in prime bandit country out here because this is ungoverned land. We're between the borders of the White Peaks and Ebonrock out here." He finished his own meal and took it to the washbin to handle later.

Returning to the table he poured himself another tankard of cider before he moved to set it by his armchair by the fireplace before he crouched in front of it and began building up the fire for the night.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast