Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: [M] You Are Not Alone {1x1 AgroShadow, Larynx}

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Most Everything
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Feet hit the ground with a jolt as she was set back on the ground. The man actually took a step back. She could see the expression of genuine surprise flash across his face before being replaced with a cold anger, the dark eyes narrowing even as he turned to look down at her again. "Are you sure you don't want to go back to all you're missing?" The voice was deceptively cool and low, but she could see the man's jaw feathering at trying to keep calm and avoid looking over at the gun pointed directly at him. It would be easy to fall back into their old routine, it had not been such a bad one since she had almost said that three letter word that would have had her tied to him for who know how long. She hesitated, watching him move for her again, although only slowly inching forward into the crouch to pull her onto his shoulder she could see it this time.

The feline decided for its human. Teeth bared it shot forward, jolting her backward and out of the ex's range to which a genuine flash of surprise crossed his face. A rush of overwhelming indignant fury coursed through her, taking her by surprise. She had not expected this and before she could react, she felt herself move forward just enough to give a resounding smack across that still smug face. The air cracked with the force of it and a red mark began to bloom in the shape of her hand across the man's cheek. The air cracked with the sound of it, sending the last of the birds chattering away from their nearby perches. It must have been the last straw and long arms and large hands lunged for her, ignoring the very real and serious threat of a bullet being sent straight through him. Panicked she moved, and it must have been some innate sense of self preservation and the cat's athleticism that gave her the ability to twist out of his grasp. A snarl lifted her lips and she was not sure if it was her or her cat, or both. "I can see you're not ready, I'll be back to take you home where everyone misses you, where I miss you." He stood up, again seemingly unfazed by all that happened. Running a hand through his hair he looked her over and barely slid a gaze over Mason before turning on his heel and marching straight back to his car. The door had barely thudded shut before he was flooring it out back onto the road, swinging the car wildly around to head out. The engine roared away and she could hear it long after the car disappeared beyond the trees. He had always been so boastful of being able to afford a powerful engine.

The cat prowled within her, pacing back and forth. Low growls as it let its displeasure be known. It wanted to run, to console her within the depths of the forest just there at the edge of the meadow. Wanted her to know the shadows and all their little burrowing things ripe for catching and reveling in the pride of a well earned kill. The shadows lengthened as she looked out to the forest, feeling herself agreeing with wanting to be alone, wanting to forget this had all happened. To leave it alone and ignore it for the soft scents of a fresh trail, beckoning her to follow and use the senses honed over the millions of years. She could see herself slipping into a fine tawny coat, large paws and a size that would enable her to take exploration of those rocky ridges to new level. A feline form that would have her respectfully feared by more than the burrowing rabbit and the little grouse. She could find an exquisite solitude out there, amid the trees, prowling about with no care for human pain. Backpack feel away to hit the dirt with a soft thud. Yes. The pain knocked her to her knees as the process began. Long fangs snapped into place. Bones twisted and cracked as they forced her to hunch over, claws sprouting from her fingertips in white hot flashes. Every tendon and muscle moving awkwardly into place sent her into darkness only to be woken by another set of organs shifting into a place fit for a feline and not human. Her screams changed to yowls as each hair of a tawny coat sprouted from her skin, clothes tearing away.

Blinking at the brighter world, the forest resounded its call, louder than before as rounded ears swiveled to listen deeply. Drawing a long breath, the scent of the earth was stronger, felt more right. The scents of deer filled her with a strong eagerness to follow them to their secret spaces and flex these larger claws, stronger muscles of this larger body. These legs were more powerful, they could carry her over great distance and leap wide gaps before tiring and even still she would not be hesitant to ask for more. The feline thrummed through her, urging her to really give in and bound away without looking back. The crunch of footsteps made her whirl to face their maker. A man. A snarl raised lips to reveal sharp and capable fangs. Inhaling deeply, the scent was recognizable. She knew this man. Only in this form she could see that he was not at all just human, the faint note of something more behind the stronger scents of sweat, caution. If she looked closer at him their was the faint, blurry outline of a canine, flickering in an out about him. Perhaps this was how she could recognize others of her own kind, but was she only able to tell in this form? That was not a question to be answered now as the male crept slowly forward. A growl sounded deep in the feline's throat, lowering down into its own crouch and moving forward as well. This form would easily make this threat no longer a threat. The thought struck her, pulled her away from her confusion. Lunging away, she forced the cat to stand down to which it protested angrily. Softly, soothingly she told it there was time, time for everything and this would not the only opportunity.

It felt like ages, like she had witnessed all four seasons come and go before the cat stepped away. Reluctantly it went, growling all the way, to a corner. And the yearning diminished. It was as if she had been relieved of a great load. She turned back to the man, who had paused not too far away. Quite close actually, and she let a low rumble ripple through her chest at him. Quite brave for facing this beast, she would admit. The forest still called but it had reduced to a soft lull, if her amber eyes remained there though, it grew and grew harder to resist. Cautiously, she lowered her haunches to the ground, pinning her gaze on the male before her. Well....now what?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

At the sound and sight of the smack across the males face, Manson's eyes widened slightly at the sound. He could see the inner turmoil that Arianna was facing with this man. For what, he couldn't tell. All he did know, is he didn't enjoy him. The next time he saw him somewhere on his property, he would gladly let one of his bullets at least graze some skin off him. That thought in itself was enough to twitch the corner of his mouth up into a small half smile. However the sight of the grass and plants being ripped up and flung backwards by the tires of the car as the man sped off was enough to have the canine bare his teeth in a snarl. Blue gaze locked on the car as it took off, flashing through the foliage and trees before it was out of sight. A small part of him was annoyed by the sudden disruptive company, knowing full well he could go a full year and a half before seeing a person here and now there had been two within the span of a few days. While he knew Arianna did not bring the male here on purpose, a selfish thought came though to just have her leave if it meant constant disruptions on his territory. The canine gave a snort of agreement, having done the perimeter check numerous times and marking the area as his, it seemed extremely disrespectful to suddenly have other improaching on his space.

The sound of screaming turning to snarling quickly snapped Mason out of his self-centered thoughts only to spot Arianna quickly changing from human form into something different than the little cat he had seen before. Tawny fur covered a large body, the paws bigger than his hand width. It was something he should shy away from, but at the sight of it, a wolfish grin spread across his face. 'Well this is an unfortunate way for you to figure out you can change to something other than a small cat.' Slowly and very carefully, he laid his rifle on the ground. His gaze never left the big cat, careful to keep his movements slow and predictable. A cat this size was not something he would want to wrestle with, ever. With one swipe, she could easily knock him around and he was not willing to risk it. As the cat started prowling toward him slightly, he felt himself take a step back out of instinct. Large, sharp and shiny cat eyes met with his much smaller blue ones. For a second Mason wasn't sure she was going to stop, he could easily see those powerful muscles springing that body forward and claws longer than his fingers easily pierce his flesh. Just when he was tempted himself to allow the canine to take over, the large feline whipped around and took a few bounds away from him before lowering her haunches to the ground.

He could see there was a question in her gaze. Giving a small shrug, he spoke out loud, 'Well until you're back in human form I can't answer much questions you have... But we will need to talk about what just happened.' He wanted to explain how shifting could be used in a fight or flight sense, but after what just happened he was sure she could understand that on her own. However he also wanted to know just how many of these encounters he would have to deal with. He supposed this was part of the things that came with not knowing exactly who this person was he just invited to his home. A small spark of regret blossomed in him. While he had no problem helping another shifter out, this seemed like it might just be all sorts of trouble with her and her past. It was too late now, to take back his word. As the female so kindly pointed out, he had signed a legally binding document. Sighing, he rubbed his hand on the back of his neck, the morning's events just now coming all together on him. Glancing at the sky, he noticed it was early afternoon now and his stomach gave a large rumble to remind him he had nothing to eat this day yet.

'Alright, here's the plan. You can check out your new large cat body, take some time for yourself since I'm sure whatever feelings that man brought with him is causing all sorts of smells to come off you. Go hunt. Roam. Anything you want. I'm going to try and find something to eat and get some things together for dinner later. It's up to you if you want to shift back in that time. Either way, I need some time to think about all... this.' He motioned to the area around him. Leaning down, he scooped his rifle off the ground and strode off toward the cabin. He didn't look back at the large cat, knowing she would move off on her own whenever it was she wanted. The porch still reeked of that man as he walked by, causing his nose to scrunch up in disgust at the smell of another male. Once inside, he plopped his things down onto the floor. Making his way to the small kitchen, he pulled out some dried meat and ingredients for making some bread. Between eating snacks and kneading some dough, he thought about what it exactly he wanted from this new found acquaintanceship he had formed. His need to help oftentimes clashed with his need to be alone and made it hard for him to make smart decisions. He had already agreed to help her, and he planned to do that. But he didn't quite know if he could handle having other people know where he lived and spent most of his time. That guy obviously had money and some sort of influence over people with the way he had treated Arianna and carried himself. Some pompous asshole. Snorting in amusement, he knew there was no way he could handle someone like that without using fangs and claws. Was this someone who was going to keep making appearances and possibly make his life difficult here? That was something he was going to need to ask her. If it was, they were going to need to find a way to keep him out. How did he even find her here? There was no cell service, so no way he could have tracked a cell phone... unless. Her car. And why did he want her back so badly? It was obvious things had fallen out between them. It seemed it was more Arianna's decision instead of his, but it still was a little curious as to what had caused it.

Sighing, he placed the now neat little dough ball into a bowl and covered it with a towel for it to rise. There was a lot they needed to talk about if this was going to continue, and Mason was not looking forward to it. And that was all on if she was shifting back into her human form or not. But he figured she needed to think about things as well. The smell of both fear and anger that had rolled off her was enough to smell from across the clearing. But being that close it had hit him like a wall. He checked on the deer meat he had pulled out earlier this morning and was pleased to find it was mostly defrosted but still had a bit to go. It should be ready to cook by the time dusk rolled around, but until then, Mason found himself wandering to his room and collapsing on his bed in a huff.
    "A philosopher once asked, 'Are we human because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are human?' Pointless, really... 'Do the stars gaze back?' Now that's a question."

Most Everything
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The settlement sat quietly in the clearing, a trail of dark smoke from it arching up into the dimming sky. Several flocks of birds scattered among the grass, taking advantage of the last bit of sunlight by foraging within the relative safety of the presence of human development. Peering through the trees, she knew that it was time to return, to remember that she was human again and meant to behave as a human and no longer a feline that only minutes ago had enjoyed prowling about on quiet paws strong enough to take a deer down in one swipe. Which is exactly what had been done and, looking back into the shadows, it would be much easier to slip back into that form and enjoy the catch for herself. To store it away, and return from exploring her domain when needed. The longer she gazed upon the way she had come, the louder and more alluring the call became, rising from a coo to a soft roar in her ears. Soothing the cat had eagerly perked up at the thought of going back, this time at night, Arianna strode forward into the clearing with as much purpose as she could muster. More than a few minutes had passed with debating whether or not to do just that or give in once more and put herself through that excoriating round of pain for the reward of being a feline well adapted to this environment.

She was proud of herself for not having to worry about striding through that front door and giving... Mason...a show for free. Despite the unpleasantness of morphing back into this human form, she had been bale to hold onto her clothes this time. Even so, she paused in the doorway. She was met with the sight of a bare back busy bustling about the kitchen counters, and a surprisingly delicious smell. Stepping further in and peering over the man's shoulder she could see a pan of something simmering on the stove. It looks like I am too late to add to that." Her voice was softer than she expected and her throat felt a little scratched, rough. She could guess that it was probably from an esophagus not used to switching between two different forms. Coming further into the kitchen she continued softly, "I thought I would bring the deer back that I...caught...in time." Strange to be talking about herself having brought down a wild animal all by herself and intended to eat, there or here, but ideally here. She had thought to contribute. Lowering herself onto the bar stool at the island, she watched him move about the kitchen. Being closer made the smell from before stronger, and even better. There was no grumbling of an empty stomach, but she was curious to try whatever it was he had going. She could not see a luxuriously stocked kitchen and pantry here but the man had already surprised her more than once today.

"Thank you for helping me with all of that earlier." Suddenly quite tired, she lowered her chin onto her arms and wondered if this was even necessary. There was nothing in their agreement about opening up to each other, getting to know each other's pasts and bonding over it. Couldn't they just as easily keep going, not like it hadn't happened, but like they didn't need to talk about it. Sighing softly, she knew that they both deserved better than that if they were to at least have a good understanding of one another. Also for all that they knew, anything could be responsible for her issues with accessing this other half of herself. Watching him stir the contents of the pan she decided to continue. If anything, she would commit to always being honest with herself with herself and him, in this. [/B]"That man was my fiance. We were engaged for a year, having met in college and we were going to be married that morning. I had forgotten something important, even though now I can never for the life of me recall what it was. It was at his house and I had gone over to grab it but we ended up hanging out longer than I meant to stay. We, well I after all he had not actually been drinking, got too drunk and.."[/B] She swallowed. "The next thing I remember, he was...there and I just....I said no and he...decided that it meant yes." She could feel tears pricking at her eyes. Blinking rapidly to hold them back her voice was rough as she added, "He had told me that it was okay we had not had sex in our two years together, once when we first got together and I just...I guess I was not ready." The therapist had said opening up and sharing your story was good, to do it if it made you feel better about it. And she did feel okay about sharing this, it just never seemed to get any easier to tell it. "I already destroyed the tracker he put on the car. He's an obsessed bastard that I should have known better., been able to see."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mason had laid there for a few hours, drifting off into an uneasy nap. The canine refusing to settle down after the ongoings in the meadow. Grumbling, he pulled himself out of the bed after fighting for so long. Glancing out the window, he noticed it was early evening, a perfect time to start cooking what he had pulled out and gotten ready earlier. Pulling out a pan, he pulled out a few seasonings he kept around, along with a small jar of lard. Scooping a small amount of the lard, he plopped it into the pan and lit the small stove to start warming it up over a low heat. Next he pulled the dough out that had nearly doubled in size. With careful hands, he kneaded it a couple more times before pulling it apart into smaller size dough balls. He plopped those into a small pan, keeping them close together to make eight small rolls. Scooping some of the the now melted lard with a spoon, he drizzled it over the rolls and then slid the pan into his small wood oven. Finally he was able to get to the meat course of dinner. Reaching for the chunk of deer meat, he placed it on the table and began chopping it into smaller cube pieces. As the knife sliced through the meat, he heard someone come through the front door. His hand froze for a split second as the scent of her wafted over to him. Realizing it was Arianna, he continued to push the knife through the meat until it was all cut up evenly. Scraping the meat into the pan, the sound of a satisfying sizzle hit his ears at the deer meat hit the pan. He sprinkled some seasonings over the meat as he stirred it slightly before leaning back against the counter and looking over at the female.

Seeing that she was surprisingly clad in her clothes that she had shifted in, his eyebrows lifted slightly in surprise. That was an improvement seeing as the last few times she had shifted, he had noticed she hadn't been able to hang on to that part of her. At the mention of her taking down an animal to bring back for dinner, he smiled slightly as he spoke, 'I'm sure we can take care of it tomorrow. With two of us here, we can take all the food we can find. It should be fine for the night, we can go first thing in the morning to retrieve it.' He turned back to the sizzling meat and gave it another stir. Watching it for a few minutes, he almost missed the small voice come from behind him. Tilting his head slightly, he listened as the sound of her emotions were weaving with her voice. She didn't have to tell him any of this. And from the story he was hearing, it made him wish he had actually shot the man. His grip on the spoon tightened as she continued. What in the actual fuck was wrong with that man? Forcing himself on her, fiance or not, and a tracker on her car? The uneasiness that washed over him caused the canine to pace back and forth.

He forced himself to turn around and look at her. He could see the shining in her eyes of the threatening tears that wanted to spill over. 'Sometimes people are really good at making others seem them differently than who they really are... I'm sorry you had to go through that, and I'm even more sorry I let him get away without a souvenir for coming so far to find you.' With a hard swallow, he turned back to the food. Stirring it carefully, he thought over what she had just told him. There was no reason he needed to know how that guy was tied to her, but yet she just gave him the full story of why he had come so far to find her. Noticing that the meat was fully cooked through, he spooned the contents of the pan onto two plates. Reaching for a towel, he carefully removed the bread from the oven he had stuck in there before starting the meat. Satisfied that the bread was done, he popped out a couple rolls and placed them onto the plates next to the meat. He picked up one of the plates and a fork and set it down quietly in front of the female. 'I know it's not as satisfying as the deer you caught earlier, but it's one of my favorite dishes. Hope you like it.' It was a simple dish, that while not crazy about it's looks, it was one of the better tasting ones he could make. The bread complimented the lean game meat perfectly and using it to soak up the juices left over from the meat was his favorite part. 'Thank you, for telling me that story. You didn't have to, but I appreciate it. I can't promise I will be so kind to him the next time I see him, but let's hope he never comes back this way.'

It didn't take him long to clean his plate of the meal he had spent so much time making. Now that his stomach was content, the canine in him started to become more unruly. Sighing, he plopped his plate and such into a wash bin and figured he could give in for at least a night. His gaze met Arianna's when he turned around. 'I've got to leave for a bit, I need to let off some steam. You're welcome to anything here.' Rubbing the back of his neck, he continued. 'I'll be back by morning.' With that, he stepped out into the now cool air of early night. The feeling of dusk hitting his lungs sent a small thrill through him. With a soft sigh, his fingers and feet traded for paws, his nose lengthening into a sleek jaw. Soft, white fur coated his whole body, and with a shake of his shoulders, he was off.

The feeling of the earth between his pads, and his claws so wonderfully sticking into the dirt to propel him forward was one that could not be matched. It didn't take long for his tongue to start lolling about as he sucked in large amounts of air into his lungs to help not only to breathe, but to cool off his body temperature as he ran. Reaching the nearest edge of his property, he slowed into a steady trot, his ears pricked forward in anticipation. In this form he could smell the leftover emissions from the car that had left hours ago. But it was still enough for him to wrinkle his nose in disgust. He continued forward, catching the occasional smell of the evening animals out and about. Fox, racoons, and coyotes were some of the familiar smells he came across. But when an unfamiliar one hit his nose, he stopped. This one smell was somewhat fresh. Smelling as though it came from earlier in the day. Faint but not enough to completely wash away from the ongoings. Everything told him to turn around and go back the way he came, but there was something familiar about this scent. He just couldn't place it. Walking forward slowly, his paws where nearly quiet on the forest floor. It looked like there had been some of the overgrowth shifted around in a way that made it so his body was forced to go through this makeshift path to the right of the overgrowth. Stopping short, he knew what this set up was for. Traps were not foreign to him. He took one more step forward to get another sniff of the area before he turned back around, but that was all that was needed for him to make a mistake. With a large clang, something snapped around his right forelimb with bone crunching force. A sound of pain and surprise broke from him, filling the quiet area around him. His automatic response was to pull away from the pain but a short chain attached to the trap kept him from going much further than a foot or so away from where he had stepped. Growling with his teeth bared, his hind quarters lowered into a half crouch as he braced himself against the tautness of the trap. He surely fucked up this round, but he also never expected these traps on his land. His eyes darted around, looking for what exactly might have set the trap, expecting them to come out of nowhere. But after a few minutes of just hearing his heavy breathing with the occasional whine escape from him, there was nothing there. There was no way he could shift like this. Broken bone never shifted correctly and could very well leave him without an arm if it went wrong. Ever so carefully, he lowered his very painful leg to let the trap sit against the ground. He was at a loss for how exactly he could get out of this.
    "A philosopher once asked, 'Are we human because we gaze at the stars, or do we gaze at them because we are human?' Pointless, really... 'Do the stars gaze back?' Now that's a question."

Most Everything
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The last plate was set on the drying rack. Turning back to the room, dark eyes surveyed the room hoping to find some other small project to keep herself busy. After rummaging through a storage closet, she had found housekeeping necessities enabling the table and kitchen countertops wiped down, floors swept, and general tidying up. She had not had the courage to go poking around to find what the man's laundry set up was, though she had thought it would be something as simple as washing by hand in the sink and air drying. The modern amenities of fully automatic washer and dryers were certainly appreciated now but she could remember bundling up in her frayed sweater, pulling on too-big boots and trudging out to the backyard hoping her underwear was not frozen to the line. She would have to pull everything off with as strong a tug as little ten year old arms could give and set them in front of the stove to warm up as she tried to stretch one egg into a breakfast for herself and little sister. Rubbing her arms at the memory bringing back the feeling of snow melting through her sweater, she refocused on thinking of something to fill the morning. She had already gone for her run, almost reluctantly as she really was not that familiar with the area. She had to settle for several loops around the meadow basically never deviating from the circle. She had thought of taking one along the route to the waterfall but did not feel comfortable visiting it without Mason. The place had felt special and she was not sure if that had been invitation for free use too.

Even so, in a new place, she had felt good after letting her body work up a nice sweat. To feel the burn in legs swung into a new stride even as they pleaded to stop, the cool air sending cooling brushes against sweat dripping down her neck... It felt good to be able to do something normal and routine. After, she had been happy to find that the bathroom setup was quite adequate. The shower was an outdoor one but connected via a little side door back to indoors. It was a little tight, standing in front of the mirror to brush your teeth but the door would not hit your backside while there. Definitely made on a tight budget, but it was clean, and efficient. Tidier than she would have expected of a man also.

Now that the house had been tidied up the best of her ability, she wondered on what to do next. She had taken a peek into the small fridge to find little of sustenance besides some of their leftovers. A rather bare kitchen, really, and not something she was surprised to find if this cabin was really uninhabited as long as he'd said but still a little depressing. It would probably be a good idea actually to head into town and pick up some essentials. She was not a great cook but she had her favorite recipes, and even so, one could live off bread and water and some dried meat but what kind of eating was that really? Shaking her head at not having thought of that before or on their way in, she moved to the porch. The cool morning was making way for early afternoon, the sun climbing into the sky behind some wispy scraps of clouds. It was looking to be a cooler day, but still hanging on to the last of late summer sunshine. Out across the meadow before the cabin, the birds were flitting back to their shady perches, the sun starting to flood the meadow. Hadn't Mason said he'd be back by now? She could not imagine him being late for much. She understood that sharing that unpleasant bit of her life may not be for everyone, but she still was not happy with his reaction. It was not an easy thing for her to share and surely he would have wanted an explanation too? It was a lot to take in and she could not expect everyone to be alright with it, but thanks for sharing had been quickly followed by dipping out. Whatever. She shouldn't get so worked up over someone she did not know very well. Maybe it was better to give him the benefit of the doubt about just not being cool with emotionally heavy things.

Sliding her shoes on and a pocket knife into her pack she headed off the porch. She chose the direction she had last seen him head off in and hoped she would come across him. If anything she could say she just wanted to explore the area, which was true enough. Slipping into the shade of the trees she found her feet following a thin trail meandering around roots and large outcrops of rocks. The breeze was still cool and it brought welcome relief across the sweat trickling down her neck. It was a nice property. It would be a very good one for development, which she knew he would hate to hear but if he ever wanted to sell he would likely get a very good price for it with its proximity to a water source and good distance from main parts of town. Her thoughts went down paths of where to expand and how best to go about it, her ideas for the future of her company...as her feet carried her down the natural path among the trees. After this, there would be a lot to do back home and within the company. It was a good thing Kay was good at her job. But she missed being there, being hands-on with the processes and knowing the shit was getting done, and how she wanted it done.

It was the whine that brought her out of her thoughts, feet coming to a dusty halt. Where, or more importantly, what, was that? Surely it was too late in the day now for much of any predators around to be out? But fall was approaching right? Didn't that mean bears and shit would be feasting to prepare for winter? The pocket knife made its way to her hand and she felt a little better about continuing on closer towards the sound. It did not sound very large or menacing... In fact it increased as she approached some low brush, and pulling it aside, she made an audible gasp, followed by "Oh, shit." Rushing the brush she ignored the quick stings as it caught at her clothes and skin. Setting her pack on the ground as she kneeled beside the injured canine, she tried to figure out how best to go about getting him out of this situation. Cautiously, she ran a finger along the closed jaws, ignored the frenzy of whines that released. "Shh and let me look at this thing, Mason."If she were to get him out she had to figure out how this thing worked. It was all metal and gears and a chain driven well into the ground but two bars on the side looked to holding the jaws together. There was some blood spattered across the thing and taking a quick look at the leg he'd stepped in with, she winced. It had snapped tightly enough, just over connection paw to leg, but even without medical training she could see that it had been snapped. "Alright, don't you fucking bite me." She said firmly, keeping herself calm as she crouched closer over the trap, aware that the dog's eyes had not left her for a second and felt like they were boring into her. Gently as she could, she tentatively pressed a little on the bars with her hands but they were not strong enough to pull the jaws apart more than enough to make any other animal panic and make it worse. Rising to her feet, she gave a look that once again warned him not to bite her, as painful as it was, she'd probably shift right there and bite him back. The feline was already not ecstatic about being in such close proximity to a canine shifter in such a heightened state of emotions. Steadying herself she positioned her feet over the bars and pressed hard. The white leg slipped through and as soon as she could tell all parts of him were free, she let the metal slam back together, jumping away from it as she did.

"Are these even legal here?" She asked aloud, more to herself than the shepherd as it backed away and inspected its injuries. Hmm. Retrieving her pocket knife she followed the short chain to it stake and dug it out. "It doesn't look like you expected this so I imagine this is actually on your property line otherwise you'dve been more cautious. Glad you weren't using your nose." She muttered, "Let's just take this and see." Searching within the confines of her pack, her hand reappeared with some paracord and wound it around the trap's jaws and pulled the knot tight. She approached the dog cautiously, not sure how he would react but she wanted to see if something could be done for his leg. At the very least to give him some comfort while they traveled back. There was no way she would be strong enough to carry him that far back on her own. She had also found an old scarf at the bottom, holes and ripped edges but it was still long and strong enough to be wrapped around this. "If you let me I can wrap that and it might feel a little better." She moved to take up his leg and when he did not object more than some growling she took that as her opportunity and worked as quickly as she could to make a sort of makeshift polo wrap around the injured leg. Jumping back and away from his teeth, she said no more and took to moving back the way she had come along the trail, glancing back to make sure he was keeping up.

Company problems disappeared as she thought of what this meant for her "training". A broken limb. She could only see it making it worse, things already move around and did some weird shit to make a morph happen, there was no way it wouldn't just make it worse. Also, she had never cared for anyone in this sort of predicament. Her goldfish, being goldfish, did not do much and she had always been different from most younger children in not wanting dogs or big animals as pets. She was worried about how to get the bone set or...whatever it needed...to heal correctly. Cost was no objection but that would still take time, more time away from her desire to return to her company, her friends in the city and yes, even her family. Sighing softly, she told herself that this was just another obstacle to overcome and deal with. She could do this...but the thoughts of learning about this part of her being delayed gnawed at her as they slowly closed the distance to the cabin.

Last edited by Larynx; 10-11-2020 at 01:15 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

There wasn't much that could be done in the current state that he was in. Unable to pull himself away from the trap without causing extreme amount of pain, he could only lower his haunches to the ground in a sad seating position. He contemplated howling, maybe Arianna could hear him from the cabin. But also would she come running to the sound or be turned away from it? Also it gave the other wildlife around here the idea that there was an injured animal ripe for the picking. While Mason had an understanding with the wildlife, he could not assure himself that some cougar wouldn't just come and pick him off. Much like it should do, seeing as if he was living like that, he would too. The canine in him grumbled deeply when he shifted his weight slightly. The feeling of the teeth grinding against his bone could be felt all the way up his forelimb and into his shoulder. Just from looking at it, it was good to see that at least the wound was not bleeding. However, he was faced with the decision of what would happen if he did not find the help he needed. He could risk the shift and just see what sort of damage would be had, or try and free himself with his jaws. Sighing, he wondered if it was even possible to just shift part of him. If he just had a hand pry and push the trap apart...

The sweet sound of footsteps on fallen leaves caused his ears to perk forward and he couldn't help the whine that escaped him. The shadows had grown throughout the day, letting him know that he had been out here for some time. He was tired, and gods did it hurt to move anything in his body. He watched the female cautiously. Not for any ill intent, but for the fact that any sort of movement around his limb made it extremely painful. She spoke words to him, but when she touched the trap, he felt the vibrations of her hands against the trap. Grimacing, he did his best to not just pull away from it. However, there was no way he could prepare for the next part that came. It felt like hot iron twisting his leg but also an immense relief of pressure. Springing away as soon as he could pull his leg out of the trap, the yelp that came out of him was loud enough to echo through the forest. He could not help the series of whines that slipped when he started feeling the blood rush back to his paw. This was too much, even for him. He had been through a lot but never something like this.

Even before he had any experience with traps like this, he knew he didn't like them. This here was enough to make his stomach roll with disgust. The fact that people used this to trap and kill animals was appalling. His attention was brought back to the present when he noticed Arianna rummaging around in her pack. He slowly lowered himself down into a lying position, his head hovering over his injured leg. Ever so carefully, he started to let his tongue roll over the very edge of the wound without causing too much pain. At the sound of her voice, he glanced up at her when she approached. His lip lifted slightly when she started to wrap his broken limb very carefully. Her hands were gentle and efficient. Before he could even think twice about it, she was done and standing back away from him. She began packing up her things again and stood and shouldered her pack. Glancing down the path they were to take, Mason could not but wish he wouldn't have to walk all the way back. And then there was the issue of what he was going to do about his limb. He did not have the things needed to set it correctly at the cabin. Grunting, he pulled himself up into a standing position. Even he was not sure with what they were going to do about all this. Slowly, he lifted his leg up and began his slow trail after her.

It took awhile, but after a bit, Mason could keep a steady pace so long as he didn't go too fast and joustle his injured leg. There were a few times where he tripped on a rock or uneven ground that set him to growling and snapping at the air around him in pain. It seemed like forever before the familiar sight of the cabin began growing in the distance. Finally. Shaking his head to clear the thoughts. Arianna was quite on the walk back, leaving him to just listen to their breathing and the world around them. He couldn't help but wonder what she was thinking about. She had carried her head high and her shoulders tight, as if there was some stress going on with her. Well with him unable to really communicate effectively in this form, this was going to be difficult. Slowly, he hobbled up the front steps of the cabin and promptly lowered himself on the porch with a huff. He looked over at Arianna and let out a small bark. There was so much he wanted to say to her, and not a way to communicate it well.

Most Everything
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dark eyebrows rose at the sound of a bark. Well, just as she had thought this would be a very ineffective mode of communication. She was not a stranger to the basics of animal behavior and their propensity for body language, but being human there would only be so much she could infer. Going to a small closet near the front door she came back to the dog with what looked to be a blanket that had...seen some better days but it there were no major holes but it looked and smelt clean enough as she shook it out and placed it on the ground for him. At least he could be a little more comfortable with that than straight on the hardwood flooring. "Well, there isn't much more I can do for you right now so...I am going to head into town to grab some things..." She trailed off, thinking of things she would need. Probably some sort of brace for that, for sure. "I'll be back as soon as I can. Be a good guard dog while I'm gone." She added with grin she tried to keep from spreading. Shaking her head she grabbed her keys from a hook by the door, she moved to go but caught the dog's eye and lingered in the doorway. This would be interesting.

:TIME SKIP:
    The warmth from the mug against fingers cupped tightly around it, the steam rising into the cool air...were reminders that late summer had ended and the crisp mornings of early fall had arrived. The nights had been moving in earlier too. The deepening shadows in the forest around them, the sense of urgency that had started to settle in the forest's inhabitants as the felt the urge to prepare for the coming of white blanketing the ground and the sharp howls of winter winds. The feline had been feeling it too, the forest's calls becoming more alluring and difficult to resist. She had morphed many times over the last few weeks, unable to resist the thrill of being at home in the forest on powerful paws and elevated senses. A shiver ran down her spine at remembering and even as she cupped the mug tighter and was content, she looked longingly into the forest, the slow rising of the sun chasing away the night's shadows. Sipping her coffee she pulled herself away and soothed the feline that protested at having to wait once more. She reminded it that each time had still been incredibly painful, no relief had been found for that so far. Each subsequent morph since that first one here in the meadow had been faster, smoother...and that greatly reduced her time spent in that state before coming out the other side as a large cat. But today she was content to remain as a human. Taking in the last sip of coffee, she stepped back into the house and appreciated the warmth.

She eyed the figure at the kitchen counter. He was confident enough to have returned back to his usual human self a couple of weeks ago, but she felt that he was not one hundred percent confident in having to do much back and forth between the two yet. But he had healed as well as could be expected, from her limited knowledge. The man had no health insurance and had refused to go in for more than a quick examination at a little clinic in the nearby little town and the doc had given him a mostly clean bill of health...the bill had been more than expected but she had paid it willingly. It could be argued to fall under that 'all expenses' clause, she thought, a chuckle of amusement escaped her and the man turned at the sound. "Good morning. You look like you're feeling well." She said, nodding at the knife in hand, potatoes neatly chopped up on the counter waiting to be set into the pan. He had been purposefully chopping, bearing weight, just moving in general. She appreciated his approach to get back where he needed to be. Moving to Mason's other side, the mug was washed and set on the rack, but there was no rush to her actions.

Leaning back against the sink, she watched as he continued with preparing breakfast. His grip was sure around the knife handle, the tendons and muscles moving slightly under the skin. She found herself traveling up the well muscled arm to shoulders and to his face, watching his focus. She looked away quickly when she realized she had been staring too long, back down to his hands. The man's motions were mostly smooth. There was only the slightest hesitation in putting full effort into the motions of that one arm, but it did not seem to slow him down much as he diced what looked to be some of the bacon she had last picked up on her run into town. As things hit the pan they sizzled, and it brought a nice smell up to fill the cabin. They had not been eating anything super fancy despite her deep pockets. She had thought it would an insult to return with quite expensive things or to return with armfuls of stuff she nor he had real need of so she had stuck to basics. Except for some good chocolate and some more, creature comfort items for herself. She had not been sure what sort of similar treats would have been appropriate for him being in canine form so she had stuck to just doubling her portion of chocolate to a bar for him if he had wanted it for later. It had remained perched up in the cabinet though, so maybe he just did not like chocolate or no real sweet tooth. She had been tempted multiple times to reclaim it for herself.

"So what are our plans for the day?" Most of her time at the cabin had been spent exploring the property. She knew a good handful of trails well now and felt confident about running them and just generally feeling safe enough to be out most of the day along them or being able to find them as human or feline for reference points of where she was on the property. It had been alright, if not a little boring doing her morning runs, tidying up, and dipping into town now and again for business operations and then coming home to someone who was not able to talk back much. He had taken care of himself but it had felt nice to be able to help with things dog paws and mouth could not do. She knew she did not always give him the best bedside manner about changing bandages or adjusting his brace but he never seemed to mind....Or he had just put up with it and hated her now she thought wryly. It had felt companionable though, knowing that he was usually waiting for her to return and seemingly happy enough that she was alright and back to her temporary home. It had been nice to see someone genuinely acting that way, for her and there had been times she'd almost raced home to make sure he was okay after being alone and hurt for so long of the day.
    I guess a better question is, what do feel up for today?"

Last edited by Larynx; 10-26-2020 at 05:36 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The past few weeks had been mostly uneventful. Spending most of the time as canine did not leave much room for conversations since the most he could do is huff his displeasure or agreement to things. When it became too unbearable to not communicate, and having her take care of the both of them, he shifted. It by far was one of the worst shifts he had ever gone through. While the bones shifted from canine paw to human wrist and hand, it felt as if they were being ripped and rebroke over and over. Once he had been fully shifted over, it left him sweating and his eyes brimming with tears at the pain. His wrist was still tender for days after that, having had to make a small sling for a short time. However now he could at least push it to start doing normal things. If he pushed it too hard, it left it sore and throbbing most of the night, so everyday was a test to just how much he could do with it. Right now, as he would carefully chopping potatoes, every push down with the knife was deliberate and slow, testing each movement. It would still be awhile before he could do things without a slight ache if he pushed too hard, but it was a start.

He didn't miss when Arianna came up next to him, her arm brushing his while she washed her mug. While this kitchen was useful, Mason had never thought to have another person in here. She lingered, and when he glanced out of the corner of his eye, he caught her eyes roaming up his arm. A small smiled tugged at the corner of his mouth. Finishing up the last of the dicing, he plopped the potatoes into the pan with the bacon. Placing the knife down, he rotated his wrist carefully. 'Better and better everyday.' Giving the food a good stir so it didn't burn, he leaned back against the counter next to her. 'I never did thank you for all that you did those few weeks... so thank you for that.' He wasn't sure just what he would have done in that situation but having her here made it easy. There was someone to change bandages, to make sure he was fed... all of that he would not have been able to do in that form. He could still smell the chocolate bar that she had gotten on one of her market runs from where he was leaning against the counter. Just the smell was enough to make his mouth water slightly. He loved chocolate, but never went out of his way to get it. And yet he could not bring himself to eat it. Only because she bought it for him. It was a small gesture, but it was enough to pull on his heart slightly. While it might not have been a huge deal to her, it was to him. It meant a lot more than she would ever know.

Looking at her when she asked a question, he gave a shrug in response. 'We could work more on your shifting, we could go on an adventure around the area... really anything at this rate.' The days were shorter and growing colder. There would not be too much time left to play around outside. Which also had him wondering if Arianna was going to stay through the winter or not. Winters up here were harsh and very unforgiving. While he knew she would enjoy time down in the city more, it would almost be impractical to keep her up here during those cold months. Maybe they could spend the time at her place. Or she could at least go back home. Mason did not want her to feel obligated to stay. Once the snow settled here, there was no getting out of the area until spring. At the sound of a pop from the stove, he turned back to stir the pan before things started burning. Pulling down two plates, he divided the food up between the both of them. Grabbing some utensils, he handed her plate to her before turning to his own.

At the mention of what he was actually up for, he couldn't help his eyes trailing to her, watching her movements. While he was a canine, it was easier to watch her without any emotions crossing his face, but now... He quickly averted his eyes back to his own plate. There was a lot of things he was up for. Some more unmentionable than others. He couldn't help but think of her soft and gentle touch every time she had to change his splint and bandage. How she smelled when she leaned in close to check she had the wrapping just perfect. It had been so long since he had even started feeling an attraction for someone, but those weeks where he could do nothing but sit with his own thoughts left his mind wandering to different places. 'Uh, how about we run into town and get a few things? I know it's been awhile since you've been and I can at least get this round of things. Plus it'll take us out of the cabin for a bit.'

Most Everything
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The newer model stood apart from most of the local population's older farm trucks and family sedans. Despite the downtown area receiving a small but sustainable stream of tourists and road-trippers, very few of her model came about. She had been made acutely aware of this the first few times she had come into town, getting more than a few looks as she had come in and found a serviceable area for some business calls and even a conference or two. It drew less now, but there were still a few to remind her that this was a smaller town whose local economy did not support much above having ones needs met with infrequent opportunity for luxury. She had not chosen the car for its price tag or reputation among those "well off" so much as for its quality and other respectable features. But having come to the area a few times now, she had been considering a bit less of an ostentatious model instead. It was a bit of a reminder actually, that had she not been so lucky she probably really would not even be here, with the ability to freely travel and spend, much less such an expensive car. Their quick looks and spark of recognition at the brand told her to remember where she came from. Biting her lip, she looked down the road in the direction of the little hotel she had used before. She probably would do well to take some calls there, to check in on things.

It had been a few weeks since she had been able to check in on a new project and a new partnership. The reception here was... reliably spotty. She had frequently been unable to tune in via video call, and so relied on their acceptance of an explanation that received some favorable 'ohh' and 'that may sound promising'. It was research in a way, she did not have to divulge all of her plans yet especially since most of them were half baked until the night before presentation. She had been letting others take a more forward stance lately, presenting her views and management. It had been.... good, though. She had not realized how much stress running this behemoth entailed. She had been sleeping more soundly, her thoughts had not turned to what ball she could get rolling next after just landing one in the hole... It was nice to run around and just enjoy the scenery. "Hmm." Turning to the man beside her, she noticed that he was dressed well enough, even looked presentable in clean dark jeans and a simple long shirt. Her own attire was dark as usual but this time she had donned a dark blue shirt instead of the usual black. She found herself more approachable to the locals in lighter colors.

"I am okay with following your lead. There must be some cool spots I haven't found yet." She said aloud, gesturing him forward. "As thoughtful as you were earlier, Melissa has it in hand so far, so you can lead me today." The early morning sun was bright and warming up the day, making her glad she had settled on just this long sleeved shirt.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The sight of the small town was familiar and warming in a way despite the chill in the air. He was familiar with the small shops that lined main street and spread out to the houses that were scattered few and far between. He could only hope that it remained this way, isolated but populated enough to give it it character. At the mention of him taking a lead, a small smile pulled at the corner of his mouth. 'It's a small town, but it's got a few things that are nice and have some... character.' With that, he started down the street toward some small shops that looked like they might have been built in the early 1900's. And they might have, but their wooden structure was still standing, mixed with more modern construction gave it some character. Pushing open the door, he was greeted by the sound of a familiar bell dinging and the dark room was poorly lit by watered down lights. It was enough to see that there was glass cases holding firearms of all sorts. The walls were lined with rifles and shotguns all leaning barrel up in a neat fashion. As he walked toward the main counter, where the cash register was located, a gruff sounding cough and shuffling came from behind a door. Soon a equally gruff looking man popped out, holding a few boxes in his arms. When he looked up and saw that there were customers in his shop, he squinted slightly as he looked at them, trying to get a better look. His eyes shot open when he noticed the male standing close to the counter. 'Mason, my boy!' His voice was raspy, matching his gruff appearance. The older man looked like he had just rolled out of bed, his white hair shuffled in all directions and his white beard short but somehow looking unkempt as well. 'I was wondering when you would come and collect your things. They have been here a while, and you know how hard it is to not just sell them to the first person who rolls in the door asking for them...' He trailed off, finally spying the female who was quietly browsing the guns off to the side. The older man looked at the young male and lifted a questioning eyebrow.

Mason shook his head slightly, a sheepish smile spreading across his face. 'I'm sorry Bert. I've been... busy.' The old guy, Albert, or Bert for short, coughed and mumbled under his breath as he turned around and started digging in a cabinet behind him. 'Uh huh. I'm sure you have.' Once he had gathered the things from the cabinet, he plopped them on the counter. Most of which was ammo, some bird shot and solid points. However there were two boxes of hollow point, and Mason's eyes lit up when he saw them. 'You were able to get your hands on some of those? You've been holding out on me old man.' Bert shuffled the boxes so they were the front and center of the ammo he had on the table when he spoke. 'You know if you had come any later, I would have sold them. Those go for a very high price, boy, and you know that.' Mason grabbed one of the boxes and looked it over. They were 9mm size, which meant he would need a new gun for them to fit... Bert grinned when he noticed what Mason was looking at. 'I supposed you'll be needing a new piece to be able to fire those.' Mason knew that he did that on purpose. And he couldn't even be mad that the old man for that. It was a clever trick he pulled there. Rolling his eyes, he shrugged. 'Well, what do you recommend?'

It was obvious that Bert had been waiting for that question, since he didn't walk over to one of the glass cabinets, he turned around to where he pulled the earlier stuff out and reached in there again to pull out
    a small handgun. When Mason laid eyes on it, it was impressive. It was something that was small, but held a punch. Bert handed it over to Mason, who looked over the gun with sharp eyes. It was a decent weapon, but it was something Mason was not quite looking for in a weapon. He was about to hand it back and shake his head at Bert, but he glanced over at Arianna at the last second and handed it to her. 'Here, see how this feels in your hands.' He watched quietly as Arianna turned the weapon over in her hand. He could see that it was a gun that would fit her hands rather perfectly. Without giving her a chance to speak up about it, he turned back to Bert. 'We'll take it, and bag up a couple extra rounds of whatever you can find.' Bert grinned a semi-toothless grin and started stuffing things into a bag. 'I'll throw a holster in there for you too. On the house, for the pretty girl.' Mason rolled his eyes again, and grabbed the bag from him and shoved it into his backpack that he brought with him. He took the gun from Arianna and slid it into the holster and handed it back to her. 'Thanks Bert. You know where to get the money from. Take extra for a holding fee.' With that, he ushered Arianna out of the store as he shouldered his bag before Bert could say more. The man was nice, if a bit much when it came to females, and if he could have Arianna avoid that, he would.

Once back outside, Mason let out a sigh he didn't know he had been holding. 'Sorry about him. He means well, but his age lets him get away with a lot of things.' He started back down the street, heading for a place that offered food since his stomach had set to rumbling, reminding him that the afternoon had approached and they had eaten early in the morning. He spotted the little joint from a half a block away. There was a worn red sign swinging in the breeze, the letters almost hard to pick out. But he knew the name of the restaurant without needing to read the sign. Ignis, the latin word for fire. It was quite literally a hole in the wall restaurant, the door tucked into an alcove. He pulled open the door, the smell of food and spices wafting from inside as he held it open for Arianna. 'Seems a little creepy, but I promise they have the best food in town.' He followed after her, his eyes landing on the tables that were crammed together, the few patrons at the bar turning their heads when they walked in. He noticed one of the men at the bar letting his eyes linger a little too long on Arianna and her curves. Mason locked eyes with him and held them until he turned back around to the small television hanging above the bar. They made their way to a small round table and sat down in the chairs. It wasn't long before a blonde female holding menus sauntered over to their table and set the menus down. 'Hi. Welcome to Ignis, is there something I can...' Her voice trailed off and Mason glanced up to see familiar green eyes meet his. 'Mason?' His mouth fell open slightly at the sound of his name rolling off her lips. 'Britt.' Saying her name was like dredging up old memories that he would much rather forget.

'I... uh... knew you lived near here, I just haven't seen you in town before...' Her voice was shaking as she spoke, from nerves or just from the sight of him, Mason didn't know. 'Um, can we talk... after my shift? I get off in a couple hours and I've needed to talk to you for awhile...' Her hands were balled up in front of her, wringing her fingers as she was talking. He could smell her anxious and nervous demeanor rolling off her in waves. 'Uh. Sure.' A muscle feathered in his jaw as he clenched his teeth. The day started out so well, and now there was this. He watched as Britt glanced over a Arianna, a sad look on her face as she turned and walked back to the bar. He could see he talking with another woman and Britt pointed to their table. The older woman glanced over at them and nodded before heading over with two glasses of water. 'Sorry about that, what can we get started for you two?' Mason did not need to read the menu to know what he wanted, but he knew Arianna had not been here before. 'Can we get a couple more minutes please?' He gave a small smile, and she nodded and walked off. 'Well, today is about to get real interesting.' He gave Arianna an apologetic look.

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast