Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [M] On the Knife's Edge: Love or Loyalty IC [Hannelorian & moonlightsky]

The Grey Lady
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy, Sci-Fi, all the things.
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Default [M] On the Knife's Edge: Love or Loyalty IC [Hannelorian & moonlightsky]

On a quiet countryside road, the sun shone bright. The silence on the gentle breeze swept across the land only broken by the sound of the hooves of horses beating against the dirt road, kicking up small clouds of dust as they went. Behind the horses was an intentionally plain carriage, rather unassuming but well guarded with horses and armed guard just behind. Further afield there were plain clothed members of the guard ever silently moving and watching, a rather well orchestrated affair.

To the lay folk along the road, though far and few in between it was clear that there was someone important within that carriage, though none could predict the magnitude of the truth within. The air though crisp, if one paid close enough attention was filled with dread and tension. An entire nation on the edge of their seats just waiting for the news to come that long anticipated war with Alexandria, the Kingdom to the east had declared war, for many it felt as though they were simply awaiting their writ of execution.

Seated within sat two figures, a young woman and a young man. The woman, clad in a white dress with long brown hair and delicate facial features seemed to have a smile upon her face. A gentle hand reaching up and grasping at one of the curtains lining the window, bright eyes watching the trees and endless stretch of road pass before her. Largely sitting in silence the tears she shed in saying goodbye to her homeland had long passed giving way to a confluence of emotions that even she admitted she did not understand.

"So." she began, her voice soft but determined, she continued "this is home." There was a deep sigh following her statement, eyes turning upward toward the sky. The man sitting across from her was her personal guard, Winters, as he was called. His family had been in service to hers in one way or another for some time now. There was, the Crown Princess of the Kingdom of Alexandria, the future of her people, their last hope at avoiding costly, deadly conflict. Charlotte of House Ariadne was a proud daughter of Alexandria, but even this was a challenge.

---

A young man clad in an ornate uniform stood behind a towering window, he was drenched in the warm rays of the sun with hardly any expression at all. A thousand thoughts raced through his head, the next coming as quickly as the last and all just as heavy. When he thought about it, he realized it was true. The old expression, heavy is the head that wears the crown.

"Your majesty? Are you paying attention?" a voice called to me, and just like that he was shaken from his thought and brought back to reality. The young man nodded his head and turned away from the sunglow that felt so incredibly safe. A small group of older men sat in chairs, the room was large, well lit and decorated with the finest of curtains, and marble columns. Of course, there was also the obvious, a large wooden throne at the edge of the room, with a door on either side and a red carpet runner that ran from the main entrance to the room to the foot of the literal seat of power.

"Of course, Lord Highgate. I understand that the Princess Charlotte will arrive in the next few days, and from there the final plans for the wedding will be arranged." while his tone was not harsh, it was certainly not one of enthusiasm. This marriage, which had been so opposed by his recently departed father was moving full steam ahead. An arranged marriage to unite two Kingdoms and avert an even greater crisis. If he were to marry the Princess Ariadne, the two would reign in Camelot, and upon the passing of her father, the King of Alexandria, the two would reign over both Kingdoms as one, completing the unification and erasing the past decade of hostility. Or so that was the hope, just a hope. "I dare say that is enough for one day, don't you think my Lord?" the King asked of his adviser who nodded quietly, the group of men now rising to their feet bowed deeply and proceeded to leave the room.

King Theodore of house Margrace stood there, sighing in relief as for just a moment he was able to be alone with his thoughts and didn't have to put on this air of confidence in a path that had largely been chosen for him. "Time for a change of scenery." he smiled to himself for just a second and raced off. The beauty of growing up the Crown Prince in this palace was that he had plenty of time to explore. Theo, as he preferred to be called knew every last detail of every last passage. Every secret to be exploited was within his grasp and that he would use to his benefit.

Changing into the clothes of the common man, he was determined to go into town and be amongst his people. What would peace mean to them? Would his own sacrifice truly bring an end to their fears and suffering? Or maybe he just didn't want to be who he was, not really, at least not for a few moments, and with that he made his escape through the hidden passages to the outside world, and sneaking down to the town he went. Walking through the filled streets he inhaled the scent, of the people, the goods being sold in stalls along the street. The poverty and wealth, and out of the corner of his eye, the most delightful girl engaged in an act of kindness that he could have sworn, just for a second there, took his breath away.
    Thanks to Hayabusa/Ryoku for the set.

Tale as Old as Time moonlightsky's Avatar
    Romance: I like to dream I have a prince save me... Fantasy: I like to imagine I'm in a new world...
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

As Jason sat across from the princess he notice she is in deep thought. He knows she isn’t to fond of the marriage it only to bring the kingdoms together. He wonder though if there is another way to bring the kingdoms together so her ane the king can fall in love for marriage. He watch the road keeping a eye out to make sure the journey is safe for the princess. Every so often he will look at her making sure she is okay the back at the road. He look over at her again and he gently reach across and touch her hand. “Princess what troubles your thoughts?” He been her personal guard for the last five years so they tend to talk and she will confide in him what she feel at times.

“You know whatever is said stay between us” Jason said softly to reassure her that only they know what they speak of. He won’t ever betray her trust. He squeeze her hand gently so she knows he is here and he move back to listen if she wish to speak. “If you don’t wish to talk we can play a game” he smile kindly

Aurora got up early in the morning like she always does and she fed her animals then water her garden. She heard of the marriage with the king and princess and felt sad foe the king because he has to do an arrange marriage instead of fallijg in love. She always dreamed of falling in love one day. Once she finish she head out to the village and said hi to some of villagers and then sat at the fountain as the children gather around for another day of story telling. It what she does twice a week she sit with them to read stories and tell some of her own. On the days she doesn’t do that she helps the families around wirh shopping and fixing dresses. It a simple life one she like. She just wish she could do more for the children who have no home and live in the broken down orphange that need to be fixed.

As she sat with the children one of the children asked her. “Aurora isn’t it wrong to marry not for love but for duty? Shouldn’t everyone marry for love including a king or queen or princess or prince?”
    Aurroa smile close the book she is reading. “Yes I agree they should marry for love. It not easy though when you have a country to think of and the people. But I do suppose there must be other ways to unite the kingdoms instead of force’s marriage. “ she choose another child hand as little girl came up and sat on her lap.
    “When will you marry?” The child ask
    Aurora smile “well when I fall in love I hope. And I do hope who ever it is will be okay with having all of you over for dinner and story time as there is no way I will have that be taken away by marriage” she smile and the children cheer happy and they went off to play. She held the little girl singing to her softly as she fell asleep in aurroa arms. The poor girl didn’t sleep well as her parents fought all night.

The Grey Lady
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

The young King in the guise of the common man watched, at first from the corner of his eye as the orphaned children of the town gathered the fountain. On the smooth stone edge sat a beautiful young woman. With each passing moment he had found himself moving ever closer, watching with ever greater intent. In the past few years what had simply been mounting tension between the two realms have birthed armed conflicts, conflicts which often took too many lives, lives of parents, friends, it was a tragedy. Tragedy hidden within the miracle that these events had not already led to war breaking out across the land.

By this time the crowd had dispersed and a child was sleeping, wrapped safe and warm in the arms of this good Samaritan. Theo wondered to himself how such kindness was still possible? The years of grind and misery would have lowered anyone's spirits. There was a darkness that surrounded all of them, all of his people and it touched him to his core. There had to be something more he could do. How detached his father had kept him. But amidst all that strife here she sat, this lovely young thing, who couldn't have been that much younger. Looking at her, he could tell she did not have much to give, something that was unfortunately all too common.

Theo took several steps forward without even realizing it. It was as though there was an unknown force at work pulling him ever and ever closer. He wondered if she would recognize him, even though his clothes were not that of a royal, his face was ever unchanging. Before he knew it he found himself standing before the woman and he smiled softly, cocking his head to the side he didn't quite know what he should say. How did people do this sort of thing? A product of his privilege and sheltered upbringing in the palace. "Hello there." was all he managed to get out, his eyes beaming with anticipation. "Do you mind if I have a seat?" he asked quieter this time and motioned with his hand to a spot on the fountain beside her.

---

The Princess turned to face Jason when she heard his voice. A small smile formed on her face and she nodded affectionately in his direction. She felt his rough hands on hers, he squeezed kindly and she extended her other hand wrapping them both around his now, she leaned forward allowing her dark hair to fall over her shoulders, she thought for a few moments about her response. His was the voice she longed to hear when she was spiraling out of control. Jason was her constant companion. She could be blind folded, hear his voice and know where to go immediately.

"This place... it isn't home... not really." her voice faltered, as she contemplated her words. "This Kingdom is filled with sadness, anger... they hate us. They hate who we are and what we stand for as Alexandrians." Her tone was understandably sullen. The Crown Princess was known throughout Alexandria for her beauty and her intellect. She was well regarded as a kind soul who cared for country above all else. Charlotte never came first, she knew this and she understood it, even embracing it at times.

Picking herself up slightly she released his hands and crossed to his side of the carriage, placing herself down beside him, allowing a heavy, weary head to rest on his shoulders. "I don't even know what he looks like. What if he's hideous or cruel? What if this doesn't solve anything?" All of these thoughts swirling in her head were enough to make her dizzy. What sort of world had she found herself in?

Romance: I like to dream I have a prince save me... Fantasy: I like to imagine I'm in a new world...
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Aurora sung to the little girl in her arms and she wrap a blanket around her to keep her warm. She look up hearing a voice that she hasn’t heard before but it sound amazing. She smile sofglg at the man and nods. “Of course sit” she smile at him kindly. She move a bit over and she smile rock the little girl rub her back as she slept her arms.

“Don’t worry you won’t wake her. She didn’t sleep last night her parents fought all night. I know this cause everytime they do she comes to me to be held and to sleep. “ she said softly. Her blue and green eyes look at him. “Your new in town. I’m aurroa the town story teller and reader to the children basically. I don’t have much to give but I do what I can to make children happy” she smile softly

Jason look at her as she spoke and he nods. He can tell how upset she is and how much she worry and he wanted to take that away from her. He gently put his arm around her as she sat by him and put her head on his shoulder. “I know. I wish you didn’t have to do this. I wish there was another way” he whisper

He gently kiss the top of her head and his hand held her hand gently. “If he is cruel I will take you and leave. I will not let you be with anyone who will be cruel to you. I don’t care what happens to this kingdom your my priority. We will leave go back to ours and find another way. Maybe we can find another way so you both don’t have to marry each other. I’m sure the king wouldn’t mind finding another way. “ he whisper to her

The Grey Lady
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

"You're quite kind." The King commented as he moved rather quickly to take a seat beside the woman holding the sleeping child. Aurora, what a beautiful name he thought. The herald of the dawn, a name that could not be more fitting of this woman. For a few moments as his thoughts narrowed he thought only of her and for the fleeting section he forgot who he had truly been. A wave of relief had rushed over him without even realizing it. "She's very lucky to have you. He remarked gently as he turned his gaze to look at the two, his eyes were kind and his face bore a broad smile. Almost like a child he beamed with a bright happiness. A stark contrast from most of what lay around them.

New? New in town? Right, he thought to himself. At least she recognized him not, but now he would have to figure out something to say, he mustn't be himself, at least not in name. "Yes, I arrived a few days ago... Most of the folk from my hometown have migrated to places like the capital... I am Frederik, just a bit of a wanderer I'm afraid." The King thought it was wise not to say too much more. He didn't want to mislead this young woman any more than he already had. His words had been kind and he did genuinely feel as though he wanted to get to know the young woman before him. "Not many in your position would be as generous and gracious as you are with these children. That is truly admirable." Theo meant everything he had said.

---
    "Have you seen His Majesty?" a voice called from one end of a large hallway adorned with massive windows, marbled floors and enormous chandeliers hanging from the ceiling.

One particularly staunch man known as Artania, the chief advisor to the King stopped dead in his tracks upon hearing that question. "Excuse me, Lord Highgate?" he responded in a rather peeved tone. How very much like the young King this was. Sneaking around. Was his Majesty aware of just how dangerous it was for him to take such reckless action.

"Oh - it's nothing, I'm sure he's around here somewhere... Lord Highgate responded turning quickly on his heels as an attempt at escape, he should have known better to let on that he allowed the King to escape for a bit. He sighed and moved toward the door as quick as lightning.

"Perhaps your replacement will do a better job... Guards! As Minister Artania called out the guards posted in the long hall Turned their attention toward the minister and awaited further instruction. "Someone find the King, now." he commanded the coterie assembled dispersed first to search the palace and then elsewhere.

---
    The Crown Princess felt herself curl up, pulling her legs onto the delicate satin covered seat of the carriage, closer to her. She enjoyed the embrace, the true comfort she needed as she thought a little more on her own situation. "There is no other way." Charlotte responded with determination. "His parents and mine have been negotiating at peace for decades. This problem is to be solved in the way of our ancestors... This was, indeed how peace had been achieved in the past, unite the warring factions through marriage, strengthening and connecting both sides by blood.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Aurroa smile sofflg and she stroke the little girl hair. “She is. I wish I could adopt her I so would. Her home life is not the best and I worry” she said softly and she look at the fountain as water drip down. She smile and look at the little girl who is curled in her arms happy.

“A wanderer that sound like fun. You must of seen a lot of amazing cities. I thought of traveling but the children here especially the ones with no homes need me. It funny though they all want me to marry but I won’t marry any guy only the one who is okay with what I do in helping the children” Aurora said softly amd shifted to lay the little girl against her other shoulder. “Thank you. I don’t have family was abandoned as a young girl and this wonderful old lady took me in as her own and when she passed I got her home and so now I do what she did. I help those who have nothing. “ she look at him. “Did you hear the princess from the other kingdom is coming to meet tj e king. A group of us are going to go go watch them meet for the first time in these trees that look over the castle. It a secret spot. Would you like to come?”

Jason stroke her hair gently. “I’m sure there is a another way. I don’t think all options have been looked at” he said softly. He knows there has to be a way. While it has worked for years it can’t be the only way. He stroke her hair “I will tell you this no matter what happens I still expect us to have our nightly snack in the garden like we always do” he smile it a thing of theirs to do.

The Grey Lady
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

The King smiled as Aurora spoke, there was a deep gentleness within her that radiated outward, and it was apparent for all to see provided that they simply took the time the look. "I can't imagine there's any man in the world who would dare to stop you from your mission of helping the orphaned children... He spoke softly, his voice trailing off toward the end, another thought shed for the potential for more orphans to be created should his Kingdom and Alexandria go to war.

Theo's heart sank when he heard her story, but he understood that despite the tragedy of growing up an orphan that these events were what made her who she was today. Had Aurora not met the old woman who was to say what kind of person she would be today. Smiling again as he watched her hold and comfort the sleeping child. "Being a wanderer is... far less exciting than you might think. It's a lonely life, and you don't really have a place to call home, no real roots. Theo supposed he shared some these thoughts as he too often felt lonely, wandering the halls of the Palace, working on his own education. Yes, he was home, but so terribly sad in that.

As Aurora brought up the subject of his own future wife he was snapped back to reality, he did his best not to appear to tense up. "I had heard the Princess was on her way. Yes. He found himself surprised by her invitation, they had only just met and here she was, willing to open her world, her life to him. Of course, this would be impossible, as he had his own fate to contend with. Out of the corner of his eye he caught a glimpse of a member of the Kingsguard. So they finally noticed, he thought to himself. Turning to Aurora he smiled and stood. "I would love to. But, you see, I must decline, I have some business to attend to... but let us meet again. Right here. I'll find you." Reaching down, he took her hand into his own and raised it to his lips, kissing it gently and as quickly as he had arrived he was gone. Off before the the guard could discover him. The hour was almost upon him.

---

After some time had passed, the carriage containing the Crown Princess had come to a stop. Charlotte smiled at Jason and straightened herself out. They had arrived at their destination. The royal palace. As the door was opened an impeccably dressed footman bowed his head deeply and extended his hand, to assist her down. "Your Royal Highness." he spoke out of respect. Charlotte took his hand into her own and slowly stepped out of the carriage. Here she was, at the front door to what would be her home for the foreseeable future. A long line of servants and ministers stood waiting to greet her.

As soon as the Princess came into view, all whispers from those gathered stopped, and they bowed before the beautiful, elegantly dressed woman. Minister Artania approached her and smiled. "Royal Highness. Welcome to Camelot." He spoke with a sense of joy, all of his work finally coming together. He bowed before her as everyone else had and understood she must feel terribly awkward at the situation. "Please, highness, follow me. The King will meet you in the gardens shortly." he concluded.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Aurora smile softly. She blush at him and watch as he kiss her hand then leave. She smile softly and look at the little girl in her arms. “A curious man. Something about him seem familiar” she whisper. She smile and then got up and carry the girl where the secret spot is to watch the meeting of the princess and king. She climb up with help and held the little girl close as she sat watching the garden and saw the princess. “Wow she is pretty” she watch as she saw the king approaching and she felt like she knows who he is. His walk, his demeanor everything seem familiar.

Jason got out before her and he stood watching protecting. He walk behind the princess as they went to the garden. Once there he stood near her waiting. “I’m here by your side always princess. I don’t care if he king he dares seem cruel at all he will regret it. “ he promise to her whisper. He knows it her fear if the king will be cruel. He watch as the king approach and he stood strong watching his moves especially as he got closer to his princess.

The Grey Lady
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

The King stood in the garden, surrounded by his advisors, and standing just behind him, the young Princess Eleanora, his sister in 5 years his junior. Adorned in his uniform and with crown atop his head he just watched the path before him. Any moment now she would appear his betrothed. It would be the first time the two had set eyes on one another. He had to admit that he was nervous, and with each passing moment he felt a wavering degree of certainty regarding this choice. His mind wandered to the young woman he met earlier in the day. What if he was making a mistake here?

The Crown Princess, led by Minister Artania walked down the blooming pathways of the royal garden. The air was thick with the scent of flowers and dew. It was pleasant, almost enough to be a distraction. The moment she had waited years for was finally upon her. To meet Theodore for the first time. Her eyes that of Jason, her guard as he did his duty to defend her, she found it a most kind act and she appreciated that deeply. The soon to be Queen walked with elegance and grace wearing a flowing white gown akin to a wedding dress. Finally the man and his coterie of family and advisors came into view. The Princess kept her head down as was customary, stopping as minister Artania had done before her.

"Your Majesty, King Theodore of House Margrace, may I present Her Royal Highness Crown Princess Charlotte of Alexandria." Artania spoke boldly, taking the hand of the Princess then and leading her down the final steps of the path until she stood before him. The King smiled and bowed before the Crown Princess, she would in turn do the same and the two simply stood there, looking closely at one another. Neither truly knew what to do here, though both were grateful that the other was generally attractive.

"It's nice to..." the King began
    "Meet you." The Princess finished. The two looked at one another once more and held back their own laughter. For a first meeting, the King thought, it hadn't gone terribly though he still couldn't shake the thought of the girl from earlier.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Aurroa watch the meeting with others from the village. She watch and something about him was familiar. A few left and she had them take the little girl home and after that she sat watching more. When it got dark she got down and headed home thinking of the man she had met earlier.

As she was walking she heard little Lucy the little girl she was holding earlier screaming and she ran to her home. She saw her parents screaming and fighting and throwing things. Aurora ran in and shield Lucy telling them to stop but they instead threw knives at her telling her and the stupid child to hush up. Aurora block the knives got hit in her arm by one and her leg. She wince but didn’t let Lucy see. Instead she pick up Lucy and limp to her home leaving the girl parents to deal with their troubles. She limo down the road toward her home and got Lucy inside and to bed. Aurora sat outside wince as she wrap her arm and leg knows she has to take Lucy in. There has to be a way she can get custody of Lucy. Maybe she can ask the king.
    Once she finish wrapping she stayed up all night watching the road.

The next morning Aurora watch Lucy tiredly playing with the other children as she sat her leg prop up. She told Lucy to stay in her sights at all time. Aurora is exhausted from being up all night but Lucy safety comes first. Maybe today she can talk to the king. Will he see commoners she wonder or will he turn her away.

Jason check on the princess in the morning after being up most the night learning the layout of the castle and land and property. He knock gently and walk in set tea and muffin down for her. “Princess how are you this morning? You doing okay?” He ask softly sat on her chair waiting she is done in the bathroom getting ready.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast