Thread: A different kind of high fantasy RP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default A different kind of high fantasy RP

Hear me out. This is an odd request, but I was listening to an audiobook about Drizzt the dark elf by R. A. Salvatore that began with the character's unusual birth and it got me wondering how different fantasy races would handle pregnancy.

I'd be interested in rping as a couple expecting their first child, but rather than humans, we are dealing with a fantasy race such as elves, orcs, Hobbits, dark elves, merpeople, fairies, ect.

I might involve some adventure and peril as well. If anyone is interested in something a bit different, hit me up!

EDIT: Example Story Idea

A young Elf colonist and his wife join a traveling caravan heading east towards a newly founded colony, fleeing a troubled political situation in their homeland. The female elf is pregnant, but they choose to risk the journey to escape from a growing anti-elfish sentiment developing in the country.

While on the dangerous road, they must make the most of their situation and attempt to bear their child in the traditional elfish manner despite being far from any of their kindred.
    Last edited by Flies_with_owls; 01-21-2019 at 06:49 PM.

A Storm Is Coming
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    fantasy, SF, horror, romance, western, historical fiction, anime/manga, paranormal
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

I think it'd depend on the overall plot/narrative around it.

Are the players anthropologists studying and living among these fantasy-folk? Are the players all part of a tribe/clan that has been displaced by some calamity, like a war, natural/magical disaster, invasion, or genocide of their people by some greater outside force? Or is it something as simple (at face value) as a High Fantasy Oregon Trail?

If players are all expected to be part of the same tribe or clan, are they all the same fantasy race, or does their society permit integration of outsiders? How does that effect their population? Are they capable of interbreeding?

I'm intrigued simply from a world-building standpoint, because fantasy biology isn't something that world-builders frequently address, and cultures tend to be a "world of hats" variety. From a narrative position, it does allow for some very personal stories, but there's in inherent risk of the mother(s) character(s) being on a constantly elevated pedestal of narrative attention.

Spoiler: Puttin' the Ass in Crass 

"The bullshit stops when the hammer drops" Viking proverb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The high fantasy Oregon trail idea is actually something I had considered as a possibility. My thought is that whatever story is being told would have a discrete plot line which is heightened by the pregnancy one of the characters is going through.

I would want to talk to my partners about how different cultures might approach carrying and bearing children in the midst of some kind of plot line.

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    I really like to do anything, but mostly survival types, historical, sci-fi, fantasy, and adventure.
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

This reminds me of a Tumblr post I once saw.
    You are a Greek soldier coming home from a year of the war to find your wife pregnant. You now have a new quest: Punch Zeus in the face. You go along, and a town over, find a man in a similar predicament. He joins you on your quest, as two punches are better than one. As you go along, you acquire more compainions including more men, a lady with an aggressive half-boar child, demigods with daddy issues, monsters with scores to settle, and a spinner who is probably just Hera in disguise. Zeus never stood a chance.

- - - Updated - - -

But yeah, I'm in.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think I'm picturing this as a 1x1 (which I should have put in the title) but I'm open to any ideas.