Thread: Making a Tabletop Homebrew System

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Default Making a Tabletop Homebrew System

So I am trying to build a game for those who do not like to have a lot of rng in their rolling. I based this off of a mixture of a few different thing and things from systems i liked. If I could answer questions and get feedback I would appreciate it. I am currently updating it as a go so their maybe changes from each time you look at it.

Thanks to anyone who gives this the time!

Character Stats:
    Luck: 0/10 Mental: 0/10 Physical: 0/10 Social: 0/10
    Power: 0/10 Intelligence: 0/20 Strength: 0/20 Presence: 0/20
    Finesse: 0/10 Wits: 0/20 Dexterity: 0/20 Manipulation: 0/20
    Resilience: 0/10 Resolve: 0/20 Stamina: 0/20 Composure: 0/20

Seven points can be spent to upgrade the outside of the stats. The combination of the two outer point’s make up the inner scores. Ex: 2 power and 2 Social make you have 4 Presence.
    Skills are things people learn as they perform actions. For every point that is put into a Mental, Physical, or Social Stat you gain one skill of your choice. For every point in Power, Finesse, or Resilience you get a combat feature.
    Example at CC (Character Creation) a player decides they want to have one of each stat. That would mean they get one Melee combat Style (Dualist, Crowd fighter, Favored Enemy), one Finesse combat maneuver (Hit and Run, Shadow step, Disarm), One Resilient effect (Advantage against poisons, Mental fortitude, Favored Defense)

Mental skills (Alchemy, Medical, Magic, Gun craft)
    Physical skills (Climb, Jump, Swim)
    Social (Deception, Coercion, Intimidation)
    Each skill adds one bonus point to a skill check. If the previous character is used someone with one in each stat would have a Presence of two which is used in conjunction with Intimidation since we assume they picked up intimidation that means that they have a total of three. Any skill check that has a DC of two or lower is an automatically success no rolling required. If the challenge rating is higher than a person’s skill then they must roll to determine if they overcome said challenge.

Example: Guy with power 1 tries to Climb a man made climbing rock this has a difficulty of 4. With a power of 1 and a luck of 1 that give him a 2. Rolling an addition 1d2 because his luck was 1 it gives the person a fifty/fifty chance to climb the rock wall.

Character backgrounds: Each character background comes with a Profession and two hobbies. These determine the three bonus skills that one can take when first starting.

Fate Interjection: This is seen as a character enforcing their Karma onto a situation. While this normally sides along the way a character would like it Karma can sometimes be a bitch and bite back heavily against you. How the fate encounter works depends on your Jin and Charity.

Jin, Charity, and Karma:
    These are determined at character creation but can change after a *Character growth*
    Jin determines if when you perform actions on anything is a positive reaction or a negative reaction. Say someone is sliding down in a rockslide does your actions affect helping the person or hampering the negative effects of the rockslide.
    Charity is a general character look at do you normally help others or do you normally perform actions to benefit yourself.

These two affect what type of Karma affects your character when you enter into a Fate Interjection.
    Positive Jin and Charitable gives an active effect to all those around them in some manner, while a Negative Jin charitable person will a passive effect to all those around them. Example: Rockslide is happening and a person is trapped and will die unless something is done. They decide they wish to help them. They do not have the skills require to succeed naturally and they do not feel through minor luck they can make it.
    If they have Positive Jin and are charitable they will actively perform some type of action to give them a chance to roll with advantage or a skill check series to save themselves. If they have Negative Jin and Charitable they ally would receive a bonus to whatever they are making to succeed in a check to save themselves. If you happen to be uncharitable then you may only boost your own abilities in some manner in a Fate Interjection.

The reason for this system is that those that play a character a certain way will gain a larger impact of Karma whereas those that flip flop the way they play will have smaller Karma.

Strategy and Luck:
    These are the two biggest components of overcoming discrepancies in skill levels.
    Activity Dates: I am most frequent Monday, Wednesday through Saturday. I am rarely free Tuesdays and Sundays though may be able to find some time.

Currently looking for friends and Rp's if you think I might fit please let me know!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Some notes:

Stats cannot go negative, skills are added as a +1 to something for each level of a skill. Rock climbing example if a guy has Climbing +2 and his one in physical and one in power then he would not need to roll to pass the climb check of 4.

A profession gives a character a +2 in a certain skill, and hobbies give a +1 to a skill so most character will started with 4 skill points to spend.
    Activity Dates: I am most frequent Monday, Wednesday through Saturday. I am rarely free Tuesdays and Sundays though may be able to find some time.

Currently looking for friends and Rp's if you think I might fit please let me know!