Thread: [M] The Horrville (Holey and Kicks) IC

RPA's Foul Mouthed Pixie
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Default [M] The Horrville (Holey and Kicks) IC

ET LUX IN TENEBRIS
    The Light in the Dark

The people of the dark planet had not always called it by "Et Lux in Tenebris". But it slowly grew its name as time passed and the planet became darker and darker. The people of the planet evolved with its home, their skin dark to match its surroundings and their eyes bright like all life on the planet.
    The atmosphere has poor oxygen levels, much poorer than what can be found on Earth. The air is much like what one would find at the top of Mount Everest - thin but survivable. Its landscape is as dark as night itself. The life on the planet, from the plants to some species of bugs are luminescent. Other animals are much like the people of the planet - dark with glowing eyes.

The people of the planet are technologically advanced. Which begs the question "why has no space craft left the planet?"

They are so technologically advanced, in fact, that there is a communications station constantly playing on loop an SOS signal. This signal can be picked up by other space craft listening for frequencies in space. However when attempts are made to contact the communications system, no answer is received. Just the constant drone of the message playing on repeat.
    Last edited by Kicks; 03-28-2019 at 02:48 PM.

​Beautiful Nightmare

Knight in Swiss Armor
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Sci fi, fantasy, etc.
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Circumnavigator's Log, GSY 1019.4.5

While serving as Commander of the USS Horville, I received long range communications from a planet known as "Et Lux in Tenebris." All records indicate this planet lacks any form of interstellar travel, yet the star system is located on the outer border of the IYGTYWMCD sector of space.

In accordance with the First Galactic Law, the Horrville will keep a low profile so as not to interfere with the development of primitive civilizations, while simultaneously investigating the planet for clues as to what dangers could have led to the broadcast of an SOS signal when the people of this planet should have no knowledge of extraterrestrial intelligence.

Having composed this, the man known by the identity of Commander John Luke Kirkland used the prototype quantum entanglement radio to send it back home as he headed to the shuttle. His science officer, Mister Spot, sat in one of the passenger seats, wagging his tail as Commander Kirkland sat in another one.

Crewmain Zwei then received clearance for launch, and the shuttle began making its way down to the planet's surface, enganging stealth systems so as not to be detected by any of the local radar systems, as it was necessary to conduct their investigation in secret. Though sensors indicated that the city that had sent the message was devoid of life forms, there was no point in taking chances.

"Commander," Spot's collar spoke up, as his race lacked the ability to speak in anything other than barks, growls, and whimpers, "I advise caution in this mission. We don't know whether the city was evacuated or the population wiped out, but anything capable of doing either should not be taken lightly."

"Noted, Mister Spot," Kirkland said with a nod. "There's a reason I brought this." He held an energy rifle in his arms, stroking it fondly. He had an opportunity to use the weapon in a live combat situation in quite some time, but his soldier's background was showing a bit in that he was a bit excited at the prospect of doing so.

Holey Paladin's armor by Haya

RPA's Foul Mouthed Pixie
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

"Not here." The man's voice was disappointed. His staff moved across the luminescent plant sticking out of the dark soil. It was bright hot pink, giving some light to its surroundings and sending some rocks in an overcast pink. The plant was some five-feet tall and four-feet across. Its arms swept out in hundreds of directions.

The man himself stood in dark armor. Its shoulder blades jutted out a bit at almost a sharp point. A helmet was placed on his head, black and form-fitting. Its face plate was invisible to the naked eye, but behind it and in front of his eyes he could see different numbers and figures detailing what the plant was. The technology itself scanned the organic life on their planet, explaining what it was composed of and so on.

There was a woman beside him, taller and standing stronger. Her arms were folded across her chest. A double sided spear was sticking out from the ground, planted temporarily while they stood there.

"Are you sure?" She asked, quirking an eyebrow. They had to make sure with this. They could not afford to make mistakes.

He seemed to pause in his thoughts, his hand stopping midair with his staff pointed at the plant. Another moment passed. He was reading the figures in front of his eyes again.

"Unless it mutated again..." He trailed off, "Then yes. I see no feces. I see no signs of disturbance to the plant."

"So they have yet to make it to this part?" She queried, her voice even more interested now. It held almost a tone of hopefulness.

"I did not say that." He retorted firmly, "I merely said I see no signs of their presence here. We may be safe here for the Frost."

She moved her tongue over her lips thoughtfully. No signs was as good a reason as any. They were running out of time before Frost was over them. Her eyebrows came together almost defiantly.

"This shall do then." She said certainly.

They were in the middle of a small clearing. There were luminescent trees and tall plants of all colors surrounding them. The soil beneath their feet was a dark contrast. They looked almost naked out there, alone with their armor and weapons. However, with a light press against the belt on her waist, a circular tab popped out. She caught it between two fingers before flicking it out to the ground.

The circular tab unfolded into several triangular shapes, connected to each other by small circle plates. It connected its edges in seconds into a black igloo.

​Beautiful Nightmare

Knight in Swiss Armor
    Sci fi, fantasy, etc.
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

"Commander," the collar around the canine officer spoke up in response to his thoughts. "The technology of this planet is... paradoxical. The civilization that once inhabited this city should have, by all accounts, been more than capable of faster than light star drive." Mister Spot was busy analyzing the technology from the subspace radio tower that had broadcast the SOS message. An ordinary radio would only have been able to broadcast at the speed of light... so slow that it would have taken decades for the nearest advanced civilization to receive the signal, but in this case it had, by all appearances, only been a few weeks.

"FTL radio, yes..." Commander Kirkland commented. "Communications at faster than light speeds has always been more advanced than actual travel. Most early interstellar civilizations are limited to a 'Pony Express' type communication... courier vessels to relay messages, as they lack the means to send signals faster than their fastest ships. It appears as if this planet was settled by an FTL civilization, once, only to become isolated for... whatever reason. No starship has left this planet in recorded history, at least."

"Fascinating..." the dog mused.

The heavy sounds of respiration from Crewman Drei's respirator announced that he had returned from his scouting expedition. "Commander..." he spoke up through the respirator. The air on this planet was thin, and while Kirkland himself could breathe the thin air, the three crewmen in red shirts needed respirators in order to receive the necessary amount of oxygen. "We've found signs of life. Humanoids, two of them. Bio scanners indicate they are located in the... forest, I guess you could call it, some hundred miles from here."

"We'll have to take the shuttle, since it's too far to walk," Kirkland said. "Since this is our first sign of intelligent life on this planet, we lack the means of properly blending in to their culture... but from what Mister Spot has told me, they are an FTL civilization that simply chooses not to leave this star system, for whatever reason, so we should be authorized by interstellar law to make contact with them."

"We should make haste, Commander," Spot spoke through his collar. "Weather patterns on this planet indicate that this area will soon be covered in extreme cold. While I've no doubt your genetic enhancements should allow you to survive, I cannot say the same for the rest of the landing party."

"Noted," Kirkland said. "Let's hurry back to the shuttle, then."

RPA's Foul Mouthed Pixie
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

The igloo itself was designed to withstand the varying temperatures of their home planet. Its internal mechanisms kept the inside a steady temperature no matter how it fluctuated outside of its walls. The outside of the igloo included technology designed to either use the 'light' of the day as an energy or heat source. It was also designed to blend in with their environment - that function outlived its use. There was a time when they needed to blend into their atmosphere for fear of each other and other tribes. But now, they stood out like a sore thumb to the trained eye as they no longer used the technology to hide. There came a time in their history where tribes came together. And their new enemy, they could not hide from.

There was no use in implementing the camoflauge technology. They now only used the igloo for shelter.

The woman had directed her accomplice to take hold before the Frost came. He swept into the igloo with ease, no argument from him when it came to taking orders from her.

As for the woman, she was drawing a large circle around the igloo. At first it looked like nothing, just a line drawn in the soil. But when the circle was completed and she tapped it twice with her staff, the circle lit up a bright neon blue. Anything that crossed the line would be alerted to. She would know at once if something had crossed the line. It was a sort of alarm system.

"Hurry up out there!" Her accomplice shouted from inside their shelter. "The Frost will descend at any moment!"

Already she knew he was right. The air was getting frigid and there was a spark to it, like electricity was suspended in particles of oxygen. She could see her breath begin to form with the descending cold. It would only get much worse.

​Beautiful Nightmare

Knight in Swiss Armor
    Sci fi, fantasy, etc.
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Back at the shuttle, the landing crew were barely able to get inside before the extreme weather began to descend upon them. "Commander," Spot said, taking note of the situation. "If we remain grounded, it may be some time before the shuttle is able to depart once again. In addition to the cold weather, we might become buried in ice and snow, which would essentially require a second shuttle to evacuate us."

"I think we should take off now, and return to the surface of the planet once weather conditions have cleared," suggested Crewman Eins.

"Noted," said Kirkland with a nod. "Crewman Zwei, take us up."

With a nod of acknowledgement, Crewman Zwei took control of the shuttle's pilot controls, and the vessel began to lift up off of the surface of the planet. Though the frost was cold, the heat of the shuttle's active engines and power plants were enough to ward off the extreme temperatures, and the contragravity systems were able to lift the vessel above the ground despite the strong winds.

However, once they were airborne, something unexpected happened. Surges of energy began to bombard the vessel from all sides. "Fascinating..." Spot remarked. "It appears to be a sort of ion storm. Prolonged exposure can have a detrimental effect on Crewman Zwei's navigation controls. Might I suggest raising the shuttle's force shields?"

"It's too late!" Zwei began to say with a panic. "Controls aren't responding! We're going to crash!"

"If we're going down... see if you can land us in the vicinity of those humanoids," Kirkland suggested. "If anyone has an idea how to survive in this world's extreme weather, it's those two."

Bombarded by the ion storm and extreme cold weather from all sides, the shuttle began a rapid descent, with the skilled piloting of Crewman Zwei barely able to direct their fall. In its descent, the vessel plummeted down, crashing heavily into the surface of the planet near the igloo where the humanoid life signs had been detected.

As the chaos settled down, Kirkland said, "Everyone alright? Report."

"I'm a bit bruised, but I'll be alright," reported Crewman Drei.

"I'm... fine... just shaken up a bit," said Eins.

"Cut my arm a bit... but the shuttle won't be flying for awhile," said Zwei.

"And I am functioning at optimal capacity, commander," said the canine science officer.

"Looks like we're stuck here, then. I'll scout the area in my armor, since it's more than capable of handling some bad weather." Indeed Kirkland's powered armor was designed for combat on much harsher worlds, and in the vacuum of space, so it should be fine.

"I advise caution, Commander," said Spot. "We don't know if the local life forms are friendly or hostile."

"That's what this is for," the commander said, grabbing a powerful energy rifle as he set out into the hostile weather of the alien world, thankful for the protection of his advanced powered armor.