Thread: fantastic beasts: the crimes of grindelwald

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Default fantastic beasts: the crimes of grindelwald

What do you guys think of the movie?

Do you ship Scamander and Tina?

Some people were disappointed that it wasn't more about the beasts this time.
    Some people were upset that Johnny Depp was Grindelwald.
    Some people were going nuts about Dumbledore's "love affair" with Grindelwald.

Spoiler: ONLY OPEN IF YOU HAVE SEEN THE MOVIE 

I liked the movie. I watched it recently after I heard all the fuss about it so I knew going into watching it that it wasn't going to be strictly about Scamander and his beasts. I love Johnny Depp, but the younger Grindelwald looks way different that Johnny Depp so that kinda sucks, but it didn't bother me too much. And I have no problem with Dumblefore being gay. I feel bad that his first love turned into a bad guy lol.

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Vikings make me all tingly inside
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Dumbledore being gay is not a new thing. Like, it had been mentioned before Fantastic Beasts came about.
    But with Grindlewald in the movies now it becomes so much more prevalent as his relationship is now under question and makes for good drama.
    Before Grindlewald was a character, he was just a name and people didn't care. That's why I think it's so talked about now vs. When it was first mentioned.

The Scamander and Tina thing I don't really care about. It's not interesting. Honestly, I'm usually not a romantic drama type person but when their relationship is up against Jacob and Queenie, it's incredibly uninteresting in comparison.
    I love the plot twist when it came to Queenie and Grindlewald but I think it also goes to show how manipulative he can be and how he swayed so many people to his side that he sees mugglws as beneath them but the whole reason Queenie does what she does is he promises her the right to marriage.

The casting a spell over Jacob to get him to England kind of bothered me because while i understand her motives, I personally wouldn't stay with someone who could constantly control me in a way I had no power to resist. That messes with trust A LOT. And I feel she seems super crazy and childish in the second movie compared to her badass self in the first.
    Also Jacob is hot.

The biggest arguement I have with people is that everyone keeps saying the canon has been messed with, but it hasn't, not yet, and not for certain.
    There's no definite answers yet and the only stories that have been told to that degree are out of the mouths of liars and manipulators.
    ~~~Um...No?~~~

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    historical, fantasy, dystopian, superpowers/gifted
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I liked it, but I have kind of always been fascinated by Grindelwald. He's one of those minor characters I've always wanted to know more about. These movies have been an opportunity to explore that.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

I don't care for the Grindlewald/Dumbledore relationship. For a pivotal part of the story and universe it is poorly handled. As a development of Dumbledore's character, I don't care about the content so much as the fact that it was never mentioned in the HP series before. But even then, it not being mentioned is more of an annoyance than a handicap, especially compared to other breaks in the continuity of the franchise.

In a film filled with more relationship subplots than you can shake a phoenix feather core wand at, I agree that the Grindlewald/Queenie twist was the best part of the film. It ranks just below Jude Law's performance as Dumbledore on the somewhat short list of good things in the film and head and shoulders above the Scamander/Tina relationship, which itself is better in this film than in Fantastic Beasts, but was weaker than the Jacob/Queenie relationship in that film. It's a paradigm that sadly boils down to a lack of screen time in this film while the Scamander/Tina relationship gets a decent amount. The Jacob/Queenie relationship is the best of the relationships in the two films by far though.

The overall plot is convoluted and meh. The anachronisms are annoying, but tolerable as long as you don't think too hard about them because you don't care. Whether Credence is a Dumbledore is not really here or there for me. Voldemort was angsty, tbh.

The only real gripe I have about the overall plot, aside from how convoluted it was, is that it is pretty facepalm-worthy that Grindlewald's justification for conquest is preventing World War Two. How does he know this is going to happen? Magic maybe? It doesn't matter. It's silly. Admittedly, I have held the position for a long time that the wizards, with all their magic, have little moral ground to stand on when wars go on and they don't intervene. Now that it is evidently a main plot point, I don't know how to feel. It's also a non-starter unless JKR is going to make a story where the wizards did participate in WW2.

In any case, the Crimes of Grindlewald was a step down from Fantastic Beasts. Some people will put that down to it not being about fantastic beasts anymore and I would agree that that was part of it, but overall the quality dropped. There were too many characters, subplots, and convoluted thinking. Streamlining the story might have made it better, but that didn't happen. It's like drawing together a lot of interesting stories that converge, but doing it in a shorter time frame than is possible without rushing parts. If it was a TV series, it might have made for a great season finale, but as a film it was handicapped from the beginning.
    Last edited by Imperial1917; 06-30-2019 at 07:02 AM.
    Spoiler: Around the Forum