Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: A rose by any other name...[M]{DamoniquexBrokecollege}

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Darien didn't know how to respond to Delphine's meek words at his sudden appearance, as she tried to put on a brave face despite the fresh tears still threatening to spill from her eyes, as if the senseless destruction of her life's work, her families legacy, was no more than a minor setback. The girl even managed a weak laugh as she explained that she wouldn't be able to provide him with his rose today, as if that weren't obvious enough, her bright nature shining through despite everything.

Darien, though, lacked her better nature. His look of panic and concern melted away as he took in the enormity of the damage done to the small flower shop, his lips creasing into a scowl of utter contempt. It was an expression Delphine had never seen him wear before, and combined with the manic glint of a madman in his eyes, it was most unsettling. It wasn't just Delphine's sorrow that enraged him so, it was where the damage had been done as well. This place was a well of memories, and the proud labor of his own love. Delilah had loved this shop, and losing it was like losing her all over again. And over what? A bit of money and passing amusement for a band of drunken punks? It would not stand. Under his breath, he let loose a flurry of crisp Italian epithets, none of them polite.

Grigori, for the first time ever, actually entered the shop, cracking glass under his heavy combat boots as he carefully avoiding the broken window Darien had ignored in his haste. The bodyguard gave Delphine only the most cursory of glances to see that she was unhurt before his attention turned wholly to his employer, noticing first the welling of blood on his arm, then the crazed expression he wore. That look was dangerous, and that was coming from a hardened killer. There would be blood over this....the only question was whose blood, and how much of it.

But before he could say something that couldn't be unsaid, Delphine saved him with words of genuine concern at the sight of his bloodied arm. His storm-cloud eyes softened somewhat at the sound, scowl becoming an unreadable line. Despite her life being in shambles, Delphine cared more about a rose she couldn't sell him and a scratch on his arm than the landlord, creditors, and insurance agents that would come banging on her door. Truly, she was pure, and perfect, and vulnerable. When she was gone into the back of the shop to find the first aide kit, Darien turned to Grigori.

"Call Vince, I want a full report. Delotta owns this part of town, I'll want to speak with him. Get Vidal here, tell him to bring his briefcase. And the commissioner, slow down the police. Just ask about what happened on Pier 7, he'll understand." Darien ordered in short, clipped sentences, and Grigori raised a confused eyebrow. It was a lot of work on short notice over a flower shop in another part of town. The backlash would be considerable. But he held his tongue. Besides it not being his place to ask questions, even the no-nonsense bodyguard knew this was about more than just about the shop. It had been Darien's fleeting moments of peace that had been attacked, and his rare smiles were worth more than reputation. And there was also the girl to consider. Not Delphine, the first one. The one who's name he wasn't allowed to speak. So the big man stepped outside, out of earshot from the crowd but close enough to keep an eye on things, and started making calls.

Darien was sitting on the only intact seat he could find in the room, an small stepladder for reaching high shelves, arms crossed over his knees and seemingly lost in thought. While the smells of the store, flowers, herbs, and potting soil were still present, they were no longer the familiar, comforting perfume they had been just days before. Their spell had been broken...but the same could not be said of Delphine's spell, as the redhead carefully made her way over to him and knelt down to examine his arm, concern clear in her sea-green eyes. The tears were gone now, replaced with a look of genuine concern, caring only about this exact moment. He almost lost himself in those eyes that he almost missed her gesturing for him to roll up his sleeve.

With a shrug at her words, Darien reached up with his intact left and easily tore the sleeve from the two-hundred dollar shirt to reveal his right arm to the shoulder where he had been cut on the glass. It was a shallow cut, barely reaching the muscle, but long and ugly. It would leave a scar no matter what she did, not that it was his first, nor would it be his last.

"I've had worse, I'll live. If Grigori thought it was serious he'd already have me on the way to a hospital. You don't have to worry about me...you should worry about what you're going to do, Delphine." The words were blunt, but not unkind.

Spoiler: Favorite Quotes(Changed Monthly) 

Damonique and Natora, Joshua and Jessica, over a million words strong and the story goes on and on and on.....

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    romance, werewolves, vampires, etc.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Darien shrugged at Delphine's gesture before he, with his free hand, reached up and tore the sleeve from his shirt. Well--there went any attempt of salvaging his fancy shirt. Though, it did not look like Darien cared about that. At the moment, he did not look like he cared about anything. He just looked angry. His eyes were dark and gloomy, and his stature was tense with rage. He looked like how Delphine thought she should feel.

Delphine tore her gaze from his face and carefully dabbed the shallow cut with the disinfectant wipe. He's had worse, he said. If it was something to worry about, then his friend would have dragged him off to the hospital.

"I'm sure you have." Delphine hummed as she set the now bloodied disinfectant wipe on the ground. She grabbed the bandage and unraveled it before carefully wrapping it around his arm. "But that doesn't mean I'll let you suffer on my watch." when the bandage was wrapped to her satisfaction, she clipped it in place with a pin. "There," she breathed. She grabbed the first aid box and the wrappings that she had used before standing upright.

Though, what he said next had her coming to a pause. Delphine bit the inside of her cheek. Why should she worry, when there was only one thing she could do? "What am I going to do?" she repeated as she pulled into the first aid box into her chest. She was going to give up. There was a quiet moment of silence before Delphine answered her own question. "I'm going to declare bankruptcy, and sell the shop." Wow. Saying that outloud felt so.. surreal. And, if it was even possible, even more sad.

She looked down to the ground and absentmindedly kicked a piece of glass around. "Honestly, the shop was on its last leg long before today. It would have all come crashing down sooner or later. This break-in just... sped things up, I guess." she kicked the piece of glass away from them and further into the shop before she sighed and turned around. "But everything happens for a reason, right? Maybe me shutting down Louise's Garden will eventually lead to me opening up a bigger, better shop in the future." she mused as she walked over to the nearby window.

Delphine glanced over at Darien, briefly studying his tense composure and his darkened eyes. "I'm sorry that you came down here for nothing. And I'm sorry that you got hurt." she apologized. "If I ever open up another flower shop, then I promise I'll give you a discount on all the thorned roses I sell."
    "and like all lovers and sad people, i am a poet."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

The pain that came with the familiar dab of the disinfectant on his skin brought a wince to his face that was the beginning of a slight change, as he watched Delphine tenderly clean and bandage the jagged slice along his arm, grim scowl softening at her kind words, glare lightening into wide-eyed surprise. It was so very familiar, and their closeness allowed him to breathe deep of her scent, which was the same as ever despite the ruination around them.

It was a soft aroma, the lightest bitter tang of sweat from the flurry of recent activity buried under the myriad floral scents that always clung to her. Besides that, there was the earthy musk of fertile potting soil that clung to her hands, and from her hair, the smell of her shampoo....also floral. Lavender, perhaps. And cutting through it all like a knife was another flower, no more recent than any of the others, but that he was uniquely aware of. Delilah. It brought a smile to his lips, but also a tear unbidden to the corner of his eye.

His reverie was short lived, though, as the girl finally got around to answering his pointed question. What was she going to do? Give up, apparently. From the heartbreak in her tone, it was clear how difficult those few simple words had been to say, but there was a resolve there that told him it was all she knew to do. All she thought was possible, at this point. The dark-haired mans smile vanished in an instant, and a number of possible replacements for it flickered across his vision as his mind whirled through options of what to say, what to do.

Anything to bring back her smile. That was the first, immediate part.....but there was more to come. Gears clicked, selfish desires and solemn duty coalescing into a plan not far from the one that had directed his actions from the first moment he had seen Delphine walk out from the back room and mistook her for someone else, and galvanized by the approval he had pleaded for under the willow atop the hill. In truth, his every visit had been a near-unconscious but calculated gesture as they went about their usual ritual, the kind words, shared jokes, subtle flirtations, and also the rose, the touch of her hand, and the money as well. All of it.

It had always been inevitable, and so there had been no reason to rush things along, when her every smile bringing him contentment he had nearly forgotten. But now there was no time to waste now. The events of the day had reminded him of how fleeting and fragile lives could be. While she seemed not to realize it, Delphine had gotten lucky, so very lucky. On a street like this, monsters on two legs had no reason to act at night. They could have broken in any time, and found the petite, vulnerable Delphine so much more enticing than a half-empty cash register. Rather than smash windows and ruin flowers, they could have ruined her. His Delphine. His new Delilah.

With a sudden confidence, Darien stood to his full height, dwarfing the young redhead who looked up at him, eyes brimming with tears waiting to be shed as she prepared herself for a new, worse life. Somehow, the thought of asking Darien for help never crossed her mind, as she offered him a discount on roses at a new store they both knew she would never posses the means to open on her own. His cynical mind wondered if it might be a ploy, not asking for salvation because she knew it would be offered freely, but he knew that simply wasn't her. Never once had she asked him for charity, and when it was offered she put on a brave face and pretended she would be fine on her own, so cheerful and confident that one could almost think she believed it.

He took a step towards her, and then another, and quite uninvited if not unwelcome, folded his arms about her slim shoulders in a strong embrace. It was gentle and comforting, at first, but as she relaxed into him it became almost....possessive. After holding her for a few moments, he leaned in, bringing his lips to rest gently beside the curve of her ear, took a deep breath of her lavender perfume, and whispered.

"What would you say, Delphine, if I told you there was another way?"

Damonique and Natora, Joshua and Jessica, over a million words strong and the story goes on and on and on.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Delphine would never open another shop. She knew that it was impossible, deep down in her soul. But, believing that she could do such a thing was the only thing that was keeping her from bursting into tears in front of Darien. So, at least until Darien left the store, she would fake her belief that such a thing was possible. She looked down at the first aid kit that she held tightly in her arms before she leaned down and placed it on the edge of the broken store window.

When she stood back up, her attention turned to Darien, who, after a quiet moment, had risen from his seat on the step ladder. Delphine expected for him to apologize for her misfortune, wish her luck in her future endeavors, and then leave. What she had not expected for him to do was walk over to her and then embrace her in a gentle hug. It was an unexpected surprise, but... also so very needed. The redhead relaxed into his strong embrace, her eyes closing as she released a shaky breath.

He was warm. And he smelt good--though, to be fair, he always smelt good when he came into her store. Like expensive cologne, mixed with aftershave and hard alcohol. She relished in the comforting feeling of his arms for as long as she could before she was snapped back into reality by the sound of his voice. Another way? She pulled back ever so slightly to look at Darien with curious, furrowed brows.

What was he talking about? There was no other way. Delphine was in too much debt to be able to save the shop--although, now that she realized it, he probably was not aware of that. She smiled, "There is no other way. If there was, then I would've done it long ago." she quietly informed. She reached a hand up, her fingertips just barely grazing against his jawline. They moved down slowly towards his chin before she pulled her hand back, "But you're a very sweet man for trying to cheer me up. Thank you."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

The embrace, for Darien, was like stepping into the sunlight for the first time after years spent in an unending twilight. The barest brush of her calloused, gardeners fingers against his soft, well-treated hands he received each time they met over the past month had been enough to justify the price he paid in both money and valuable time, but this was something else entirely.

When Delphine spoke, he drew back slightly but did not fully part from her, his arms sliding down to rest comfortably upon her narrow hips, even as her hands came to gently caress his jawline. As close as they were, the redhead could make out each and every feature of his creased face, including the pattern of off-white scarring that criss-crossed his cheek, neck, and jaw. The thin lines were old and well-treated, usually disappearing into the worry lines the etched his still-handsome face as the beginnings of middle age began to show. Truly, he had seen worse, if long ago.

Darien had to restrain himself from an incredulous chuckle as Delphine continued to deny that anything could be done to repair her situation, as if the answer to her every worry, present and future, was not standing so very close before her. He seemed amused when she told him he was sweet. Darien had been called many things in his life, mostly bad things, but sweet was not one he heard in years. Truly, she was still a mystery, equal parts proud and naive. A dangerous combination, the man knew. Instead he just smiled down at her confidently, invitingly, knowing he had the girl exactly where he wanted...no, needed her to be.

"Sweet girl, I am Darien Leone Vicente Fiore, and I can do anything, everything for you. You simply have to ask." He stated solemnly. The words were not new, but an echo from years long passed, when he had stood in a similar way before and very similar girl. His mistake then had been saying it nearly at the end, rather than at the very beginning. Like many others, that was a mistake he would not repeat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Darien offered Delphine a confident smile before he informed the girl of who he was, and all that he could do. He was Darien Leone Vicente Fiore. Delphine paused--she recognized that name. Why was it that she recognized that name? Where had she--she paused when Darien added his willingness to help Delphine with whatever she needed. Her eyes softened. Was he willing to do that? To help her, and to help her shop? But why? The two barely knew each other! Hell, she hadn't even known his full name until today!

And, yet, if she asked him then he was willing to do anything for her. "I..." Delphine began, though she trailed off just moments later. If she asked him, then Darien could save her shop. He could make every payment that she was behind on disappear. But... how could she take advantage of his kindness like that? She pursed her lips together. She couldn't. If she was going to take something from Darien, then she had to give him something in return.

Or, at least, the promise of something in return. A promise which she would no doubt spend the rest of her life attempting to fill. "Can you save my shop? Please, Darien?" she finally whispered. "I'll do whatever you want me to do to pay you back. And I will pay you back, I don't care if I have to take ten other jobs to do so. I just.." she bit down on her tongue as she slowly pulled away from him. "I can't lose this shop. I promised them that I would take care of it. And if I lost it..."

If she lost it, then that would mean she failed both of her parents. Then that would mean all the hard work they had poured into this place was only in vain.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

The redhead paused for a moment of thought when Darien made use of his full name, the soft Italian accents making it all roll off a single word, and he bit the corner of his lip. That could have been a mistake, if she recognized who he was, what he was from the news, or more likely, the tabloids that were always printing his life with a salacious spin that barely resembled the truth. But there was no recognition there, as she let the second part of his declaration sink in.

Delphine held resolute for a moment, trying to retain her principles, find some excuse to reject his offer....and then folded under the pressures he knew had been wearing on her since long before they ever met. He knew well that every person had both a breaking point and a buying point, and the flower girl had finally reached both at once, the two one in the same. And she had realized it as well, pride and reservations giving way to a desperate pleading that a part of him found heartbreaking, but another, darker part found innately satisfying as Delphine's words tumbled forth, barely higher than a whisper.

Please, Darien...I'll do whatever you want me to do... There were more words than that, but that snippet was the one his mind fixated upon, understanding the implications. Delphine was too naive to realize all she agreed to, using no uncertain terms...if she had, she would never have let them past her lips. But he knew it didn't matter, either. Delphine O'Neill kept her word as her bond bond, she was like La Familia, in that way, if few others. If she said it, she meant it. She tried to pull back, but Darien's strong hands put a stop to that, slipping from her hips to encircle her fragile wrists as if it were nothing, keeping her transfixed in place, looking up at him, and he down at her with a manic gleam in his eyes. He couldn't let her go yet, not until he was sure.

"You mean that, don't you? Do you really trust me that much, or are you just too desperate to care?" He wondered out loud, knowing she didn't even know him well enough to truly trust him. Oh, their acquaintance gave her a glimpse of the man Darien Fiore tried to be, used to be, once upon a time. Straightforward, honest, and charitable, with myriad passions and an artistic soul. But that was rarely the man he was allowed to be in the life he'd inherited rather than ever wanted, as she would learn before long. Darien shook his head, as to say the question did not require an answer. Either would be disappointing. If Delphine trusted him so utterly, she was a fool, and if she would make the same offer to any man with means in this dire time, she was something else.

"Prove it. Swear it, in whatever words you like, by a god or a grave or simply to yourself. Tell me what you want, Delphine, and what you have to offer. I have to hear you say it." He snapped, suddenly commanding, as this was no time for any falseness from either of them. Carefully he looked the slim redhead up and down where she stood before him. His hands moved from her wrists to clasp her own, tenderly....again echoing a moment long since passed as he stared into her vibrant green eyes.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Although Delphine had pulled away some, Darien managed to prevent the distance between them from growing too big. With his hands grasping onto her wrists, Darien questioned her sincerity. Did she mean it? The redhead quickly nodded her head--of course, Delphine meant it! If Darien was genuinely willing to save her shop from being taken or sold, then she was willing to do anything he asked of her. When he went a step further, however, she was brought to a pause.

Did she trust him, or was she just that desperate? Even she didn't know the answer to that. Perhaps, it was a little bit of both. But, before she could tell him that the older male shook his head. He didn't want to hear the answer, and so Delphine did not give it to him. She remained quiet until his next question--or, more accurately, his next demand. He wanted Delphine to swear her sincerity. He wanted her to swear her sincerity on whatever she saw fit, whether it be a god or a grave.

Well, Delphine didn't have much faith in God these days so she couldn't swear on that. And swearing upon one's grave did not feel right in the least. With these brief thoughts in mind, Delphine made her decision. She pulled her wrist from the older male's grasp and, with her head held high, lifted her hand to her chest to create an "X" over her heart. "I swear. I cross my heart on it," she whispered. It was such a silly, childish sight--to see a grown, adult woman swearing as a child would.

But the swear was genuine--as Delilah told her all swears should be. Keep every promise you make and only make promises you can keep, she had once told her. The young woman continued as Darien's grasp on her wrists slowly moved to her hands. "I have to be honest. I don't have much to offer you in return. But.. I am a hardworker. And I am honest, and I will not let my debt towards you go unpaid for long. If you save my shop, I'll do whatever it takes to pay you back. Whether it be working for you for the rest of my life, or paying you back with every cent I get. I swear on it, Darien."

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

"I swear. I cross my heart on it..." Delphine said, and did just that, tracing a finger down and them to the side in the air before her left breast, above her heart. It wasn't quite what the man had had in mind, though it still seemed somehow fitting. Darien had been both witness, and recipient to many oaths through his career, and each and every one was different, unique to the one who made it.

Some men did it in the old way, 'kissing the ring' as one saw in the movies. Others, with a flair for theatrics and no strangers to pain, would cut their palm and write their promise in blood. Others would simply swear by their crosses(or cross tattoos, in the case of the Armenians), or the graves of their fathers, mothers, or children. They all knew they had to mean it, it was well known in such circles that breaking a promise to a Fiore was tantamount to suicide, and Darien was no exception to that rule...except perhaps in this singular instance, regarding Delphine. But if it came to that, there would still have to be some...unpleasantness, to enforce respect.

And that simple, genuine, somewhat childish gesture was very much representative of Delphine, but Darien meant no insult to her by thinking that. Ignorance was ofttimes bliss, and when much of the world was so ugly, it could be better not to be aware of it. As she went on to try at the second part of his question, outlining what she had to offer up in return for his offer to save her, he pursed his lips, looking deep in thought...it wasn't much, but then again, she hadn't seem to even realize the full implications of what he was asking for.

Wording was important, and 'whatever you want me to do' were the words she had used before, so that was what he would be getting from her eventually, even if it took some time for Delphine to...adjust, as it were. After a month of subtle courting, a bit longer wouldn't be the death of him. Just because Darien could impulsive, it didn't mean he was impatient....yet. Even with that in mind though, he couldn't stop the smile slowly spreading across his features. It was not the easy smile he had worn on previous visits, or the one he had been wearing after he found her here today, equal parts concerned and relieved.....but something else entirely. It was the cheshire smile of a predator sizing up it's next meal, a cat that's caught a mouse. And it was moving closer to her with every breath, until he was looking down into those deep green eyes from scant inches away...and finally made a vow of his own.

"And I swear on my honor, my name, my legacy that I'll save your shop. But won't just stop there. I'll give you a new life. Your debts will be repaid in full, arrangements will be made for your mother to receive the best of care...and provide you with all of the comfort and security within my, quite considerable, means. And you don't have to pay me back, Delphine, for any of it. It isn't your money I want...." He stated in a tone full of confidence, but laced with subtle insinuations and the sort of trick wording a lawyer would write into any contract, only noticeable if one were looking for it carefully. Wording was important, after all.

"...all I want in return is for you to be mine. Entirely." He finished in something barely more than a whisper, emphasizing particular words in a way that made it crystal clear exactly what he meant by them. And before Delphine could wrap her head around the implications of that, ruby lips parting, surely to ask a question....he sealed them with own. It was a soft kiss, gentle...almost chaste. But for the strong grip his left hand held her wrist in keeping her from pulling away, and the way his arm encircled her narrow waist to pull her even closer to him, seeing no reason not to run his hand from the top of her skirt down to the hem, gently caressing a soft thigh through the thin material.
    Last edited by Damonique; 04-09-2019 at 04:58 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Darien smiled upon hearing Delphine's swear--though, the smile that curled on his lips looked much different than any smile she had seen on him before. After a moment of thought and consideration, Darien bent his head down some to give the redhead a swear of his own--and a much more sophisticated one, at that. He swore upon everything he was--his name, his legacy, and his honor--to save Delphine's shop. And Delphine was so incredibly relieved to hear it.

This store was Delphine's heart and soul. Losing it would have meant losing a part of herself. Darien, though, didn't stop there. He didn't plan on just saving Delphine's shop. He also planned on paying off all of Delphine's debts, as well as providing her mother with the best medical care he could. Essentially, he was giving Delphine a new life. And, most surprisingly of all, he did not want Delphine to pay him back for it. At least, not with money.

No, he wanted something else. Or, more specifically, someone else. In his own words, he wanted Delphine to be entirely his. Delphine's eyes widened in surprise, with her jaw practically falling to the floor. This was so much to take in. Darien was willing to give Delphine a fresh start at life, and all he wanted was... her? But, why? What could Delphine as a person offer him that he saw as more valuable than money?

She wanted to ask that--and a load of other questions--but the words couldn't seem form on her tongue. Then, just as the shock from his words began to settle, Delphine was given another surprising shock. His lips. His lips were surprisingly soft, with their taste reminding her of coffee. What a surprise--she had almost expected them to taste of alcohol (she always thought of him as the kind of man to have an "early" drink at work). Without even realizing it, Delphine began to relax in his tight embrace.

And, before she knew it, she was even kissing him back--if ever so slightly. But how could she not? Darien was an attractive, charming man. Even if his lips and his declaration had caught her by complete and utter surprise, she would have to be blind and deaf not to kiss him back even just a little bit. After a few moments--or, perhaps it was a minute?--of their lips gently caressing each other, Delphine managed to snap back into reality and pull back slightly.

She sucked in a breath, her eyes fluttering as she tried to regain her thoughts and her composure. "I.." she breathed, "I.. I don't know what to say. I'm.. I.." she trailed off before clearing her throat. Well, she couldn't say no, as Delphine had just sworn to Darien that she would do whatever it was that he wanted her to do. And she couldn't break that. "I.. I.. I accept." she finally whispered. "I accept, Darien. If you save my shop, then.. I'll be yours." Oh, God, what did she just get herself into?
    Last edited by brokecollege; 04-09-2019 at 08:02 AM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast