Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Writer’s Block

The Art Vandal

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Decent grammar. Limited cringe. That’s all.
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Default Writer’s Block

I don’t tend to get it.

Usually when writing, whether it has been creatively on this site or academically, I have a pretty clear idea of how to get my thought into text, easily enough.

I’ve found on this site, after reading what other people write, I tend to carry around a response in my mind until I get a chance to sit down and type it out for the world to see what has been stewing in my brain.

But ho lee shit.

I have a response in my head, and every time I try to type it, I feel like I’m trying to write it out in a different language or something. I don’t know what’s wrong with me! I’ve never experienced this before.

I was really busy in work, and now the last four days have been pretty sick, which is messing with my desire to do... well, everything.

It’s so sunny and beautiful out today and all I want to do is go for a long walk by the Irish Sea, but every time I stand to get out of bed I feel dizzy and my body feels weak. And I’ve got a constant, dull headache due to the sinus congestion going on (which I am guessing are probably inflamed).

Anyway.

I’m really hating the dry spell at the moment! All I want to do is properly get what is in my mind into text, but it’s like there’s a giant roadblock saying

NUUUUUUU

Do any of you experience Writer’s Block?

How often?

Do you have anything that helps get more clarity in writing?

(AKA cure Writer’s Block)?!?

I’m hoping most of it is because my head feels like it’s going to explode, and after I start feeling better I will have a massive backlog of creative juices that come flowing.

lol ew, that sounds gross.
    Last edited by Leanna; 04-07-2019 at 05:40 PM.

art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable

- banksy

historical, fantasy, dystopian, superpowers/gifted
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

It's actually a pretty frequent thing for me. I typically have to be in a specific mindset to write at all(although there's occasionally exceptions).

Dark Lord of the Gif
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)

I get it occasionally. Movies or games tends to help break of it. Though sometimes just starting and not finishing gets it out of the way. Sometimes the writing is a mess not because of a block but because it's a mess.
    Spoiler: Cuteness 

Wanna laugh at a drunken fool? Click Here!
    Watch me Stream or catch old streams here

historical, fantasy, dystopian, superpowers/gifted
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dnafein View Post
    I get it occasionally. Movies or games tends to help break of it. Though sometimes just starting and not finishing gets it out of the way. Sometimes the writing is a mess not because of a block but because it's a mess.
    I think for me it's often simply because I'm self conscious about my writing.

Give into Decay...
    RPAFanfiction
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

Oh yes. I know a few things about writers block. My writers block and (everyone else, so it seems) tend to always boils down to a similar seven problems.

- Too many ideas
    - Not enough ideas
    - Fear of writing/anxiety
    - Being too busy
    - Physical or mental drawback or sickness
    - Boredom/Burnout
    - Depression/Extensional Crisis
    Sometimes I am too out of it to write. I think all I've done today is wake up, get on my computer and try to do some writing, play a bit of a game, have lunch and watch one episode of a show, and then sit here trying to do something. I haven't eaten dinner. Other then the drink I had this morning I haven't had anything else until now. 12 hours. Yesterday though... Yesterday I did a bunch of writing. I worked on two stories, one that I hope is a book, and one of the most complicated projects I've started to date. And I've made some complicated things. Two different days. Today I am having writers block, among other things, and yesterday I was not. Why? What does this mean? Don't worry - I'll tell you.

Writers block is not the inability to write. You are not blocked because of your writing ability. You are blocked because your mental or physical ability is affected negatively. Since you are very much sick it is no wonder that you are blocked. I am afraid there is no proper cure to writing when you are sick. I've done it; it is possible my sneezy mouthed friend. It is not fun though. It is not productive either. I'm pretty used to feeling off 24/7. It's easier for me to push past a sickness to write, if I'm motivated enough. I am also very stubborn and I refuse to get sick. I haven't had the flu in over two years. I was sick for one day. I didn't like it. I may be magic, but you have to keep in mind that you just might not be able to write today. You need to give your brain a break or it'll pack up and find a new writer to motivate.

The feeling of writers block may differ from person to person, but essentially it feels like something is holding you back. As you type on the keys or write in a notebook it can feel like someone is grabbing your arms, placing their hands over your own as they try to pull you away. It can feel like a thick ball of darkness in the middle of your chest trying to consume everything that you know and believe while making you crave the cold hardwood embrace of the floor. No? Is that just me? Even as I write this I feel myself being sucked into a vortex of my own self-destructive. It is an incredibly difficult feeling to fight through - but it is just a feeling.

The key to defeating writers block is in three steps.

Step 1 - Accept that you have writers block. You can't write right now. No amount of forcing yourself will accomplish anything, if you honestly don't want to write. You're sick. You can just be sick. Accept that.

Step 2 - Find the actual reason for why you don't want to write. I noticed that a lot of college students who enjoy writing find their ambitions completely butchered like an outdated slasher movie and only taking the correct amount of time (and not running up a set of stairs) will help them. Often enough though, they never realize why they couldn't write during that time. We as humans never do anything for no reason. Our brains make connections we don't realize it does and it can create unforeseen issues. It's not rocket science... it's psychology.

Step 3 - Focus on why you're blocked; not that you're blocked. Is the real reason that you're just sick? Then focus on getting better. If it's not, or you find you're still blocked afterwards then find the real reason.

"But Omac. I want to write NOW!" Fine. You can throw out all of my hard-written advice and take my top 10 tips for defeating writers block.

1. You can try distracting yourself on something completely different. I find that if I'm sick that games, movies, or cartoons from my childhood can help me feel better. Dnafein knows what he's talking about.

2. You can't be blocked if you can't see. Yes. Write blindfolded. Yes, really. You can also write in a word processor/Google Docs like program and turn the text white so you can't see it as you write, but it's not nearly as fun.

3. You can try pacing. I usually like to pace and act out the scene I'm about to write before I write it. I don't suggest that if you're dizzy and sick though. Unless you're writing about falling and getting hurt. If that's the case, by all means, do this one.

4. Write something else. Are you having "writers block" or "Specific project or type of project." If you can't RP, try writing something that is completely different. I have a Pokemon Fanfiction when I don't feel up to RPing. Once again, Dnafein knows where it's at.

5. Eat. So many people forget that we humans need food to think properly. If you haven't had enough liquids and solids then your brain won't work as well as it should. Poor brain. Also, I feel the need to clarify I am speaking of edible liquids and solids.

6. Try a change of scenery or sensory. If you can't physically go for a walk somewhere on the beautiful, warm, relaxing day that is only a few steps away... you can try tricking your brain. Sometimes having a soft blanket or rock can help calm you. Really, anything to keep your hands busy can help you. A lot of writers also dabble in sketching because it helps exercise our brains (but not our demons). A warm wash cloth or a steamy shower can help if you have a stuffy nose.

7. Lay on the floor. This isn't just the upcoming extensional crisis in me. This actually helps. The floor is cold and still. There is no moving motion. There is nowhere more to fall. You are completely still, looking up at the ceiling. The more popular version of this laying in the grass, though I'm not sure why. Your floor is swept, moped, and protected. The earth is hard and dying. We are all dying. Oh no it's happening.

8. Sleep. That's it.

9. Try writing in a journal. It doesn't have to make sense. It just has to be written down. If that doesn't work, try talking to yourself. It's better if you record it, so if you have a good idea it's not lost forever by the sickness, but it's okay if it's not. Talk it out. Whenever you are stuck on a story (or the absence of meaning in our reality) just talk it out.

10. Accept that you have writers block today and that it is okay to wait until tomorrow. Writing everyday sounds good in theory, but humans need breaks.

Okay, that was Omac's writers block advice. Have a good day!
    Last edited by Omac; 04-08-2019 at 01:55 AM.

The seals have been broken...
    The Purgament has begun...
    The Piper's out of the basement...
    The Dead have started to boogie...
    Decay is Coming

Spoiler: The winner is... 

The Art Vandal

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Wowza. Talk about putting 110% into an answer. Thanks, Omac
    Last edited by Leanna; 04-08-2019 at 09:18 PM.

- banksy

Give into Decay...
    RPAFanfiction
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)

It's go big or go home. I decided to do both. You're welcome.

The seals have been broken...
    The Purgament has begun...
    The Piper's out of the basement...
    The Dead have started to boogie...
    Decay is Coming

Spoiler: The winner is... 

The Art Vandal

Mentioned
    31 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dnafein View Post
    Whatcha mean starting it and not finishing gets it out of the way?

Quote Originally Posted by Nachthexe View Post
    I think for me it's often simply because I'm self conscious about my writing.
    I think everyone feels that was sometimes, and it’s not technically a bad thing. It means you probably have taken a risk, or gone outside the box / your comfort zone. Which, if you ask me, can be a great thing
    Last edited by Leanna; 04-08-2019 at 09:27 PM.

- banksy

RPA's Resident Zombie
    Six feet under, but coming to a theater near you
    Horror/Apocalyptic
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

I don't get writers block per se, more like days where I don't feel like writing (in which case, I usually don't...lol). The ideas always seem to be there, and often times I put them to paper but don't like what I have written. Which leads to rewriting everything over and over again...which is my failing. I am never happy with what I have written and always feel I could express myself better. Better words...more descriptions...odder expressions... It's a never ending cycle.

Dark Lord of the Gif
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)

@Leanna;

Though sometimes just starting and not finishing
    Was supposed to be "starting and not stopping till finished. But was on my tablet and tired. Those messed my sentence up. Basically I was saying that sometimes you just need to get it out to clear the blockage; Even if it's not what you'd call usable.
    Spoiler: Cuteness 

Wanna laugh at a drunken fool? Click Here!
    Watch me Stream or catch old streams here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast