Thread: Stellar chaos (M)

Favourite Roleplay Genres
    fantasy (modern and ect) and others just ask
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Default Stellar chaos (M)

A story of mischieve and chaos along the stars. Be careful who you meent and see for the wrong move can leave you trapped.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Hmm. Interesting. Just let me go grammar nazi for a second...

Quote Originally Posted by yzaidkane
    A story of mischief and chaos among the stars. Be careful who you meet and see, for the wrong move can leave you trapped.
    Be careful what you write and read, for the wrong grammar can leave you without partners!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Late afternoon light from Makar's twin suns, Anahi and Sthir, filtered through the transparent crystal barrier arching over the circular canyon that formed the heart Vatra.

Since time immemorial, the two stars had waged war on the scorched, uninhabitable surface below, leaving a path of destruction and desolation in their wake. Nothing lived on the face of Makar. Neither plant nor animal could hope to survive the devastating heat of its days or the bitter chill of its nights. The air was thin and dry on the surface, almost devoid of moisture. Instead of oceans, great chasms of charred rock stretched as far as the eye could see, glimmering under the unforgiving gaze of Makar's solar rulers.

From birth, Makarans were told of the wrath of Anahi and Sthir, fragments of legend pieced together over tens of millenia to form a semi coherent narrative. The details may have been lost, but the central theme remained: The Makaran people (indeed, all sentient beings) were cursed. Cast down from the ethereal plane and doomed to wander the mortal realm until their penance had been paid, Makarans were fixated on molding their society into something pleasing to their angry gods. Order, hierarchy, duty, and the rule of law held precedence above all else.

Letting her eyes rove over the colossal stone structures which composed the city of Vatra, Chanda reflected on her people's fastidiousness as manifested in their perfectly symmetrical, geometrically patterned architecture. Even now, millennia after their initial construction, obsessive maintenance routines ensured that scarcely a crack showed in their facade. Walls and ceilings met at right angles and windows and doors were regularly spaced to within a minute fraction of a unit of measurement. Even the grand staircases, descending from massive archways (centered on the four cardinal directions) to a perfectly circular plaza at the bottom of the canyon, were without flaw. Countless generations of laborers, architects, and engineers had ensured that the endless stream of daily foot traffic through the place of worship did not alter the steps' precise symmetry.

It was humbling, really.

The soft rustle of fabric and the sound of light footsteps behind her caused Chanda to turn her head.

"Father," she greeted.

Anshu inclined his head slightly in acknowledgement of her greeting.

"Daughter."

For a moment the two stood in companionable silence, overlooking the ritual plaza that buzzed with (very orderly) activity as worshipers and members of the clergy went about their business. At long last, as the light from Anahi and Sthir was beginning to fade, Anshu spoke, his voice calm and detached, "You have been given a very important mission Chanda, hunting down this miscreant. Few of our people are allowed to wander amongst . . . outsiders." His tone didn't change, but there was a slight pause before the word.

Without taking her eyes from the shadows cast by filtered light of the setting suns, Chanda replied simply, "I know, Father."

Anshu turned his gaze on her, and she met his eyes, her expression one of quiet confidence (whether in herself, the validity of her mission, or both, remained to be seen).

He nodded, placing a hand briefly on her shoulder. "You will potentially be gone for some time. Do not forget your daily prayers and supplications. Though their physical manifestations may favor our world, there is no ground where the light of Anahi and Sthir does not shine. Judgement follows those who stray from their wisdom."

Chanda smiled slightly this time, though it was a brief, fleeting gesture. "I know, Father. I won't forget. I'll see you when I return. Don't doubt me, I will not bring dishonor on our family."

He simply nodded, and the two turned to depart as shadows crept into the canyon.