Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: [M] The Sword and the Fang [Namingtoohard & Ashen]

The Ashen One
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    medieval fantasy, adventure, psychological
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Knowing that Issa had been unable to find any new information to help them was as much a relief as it was a disappointment. It meant there were no new earth-shattering revelations that would again threaten Lec’s sanity, and that they could learn about what they were up against at their own pace, through consulting the books and people they had already been looking at. There was comfort in that, in being able to walk away from those, if only for a little while. They wanted to avoid having another breakdown in front of Issa, and at least for now, they could breathe a little easier.

He then mentioned his elder wanting them to visit, and Lec laughed before they could stop themselves. It was such a strange suggestion that they couldn’t believe she would have said such a thing. When they realized Issa was being serious, though, the smile left their face. “I don’t…” they started, trying to find the words to express their discomfort. Issa’s elder knew about them? And wanted to meet them? But why? They were nothing special, and besides, Lec couldn’t imagine themselves setting foot in that forest again. Surrounded by creatures like Issa—or perhaps unlike Issa—with those blood-red eyes, and their changing skin, their weapons of teeth or talons or claws… They subconsciously fingered the scar at their neck. They would blame their lack of enthusiasm on the prophecy and the urgency with which they needed to leave, and they quickly dismissed the idea altogether.

In the silence that followed, both their gazes turned to Lec’s notes. They worried about how many of them Issa could even understand. Maybe Issa thought them annoying reminders at his illiteracy, or unintelligible ramblings from someone who didn’t know what they were doing. He looked over them, and Lec’s anxiety started spiking again. They wondered again why they had been chosen for this, and what must Issa think of them. He was quiet, antsy, contemplative. Did he already find them unbearable, with their agendas and their over-planning, their insistence on leaving? And by sitting here in silence, Lec was just making that worse—

When Issa spoke, Lec startled. They recognized the barrage of negativity in their mind as pointless overthinking, but they still had trouble clearing their thoughts. If they were being honest with themselves, they hadn’t done what Issa had asked. When he had brought news of their marks and their duties two days ago, Lec had committed to the only option they thought they had. If they were needed to save the world—to save Soren—then they would do what they had to. Meeting the dragon where it was had seemed the most logical choice rather than waiting here and letting it destroy everything in its path. But Lec hadn’t let their thoughts linger long on what it meant to leave. What they would be risking, and what they would be leaving behind. They didn’t want to think about those things, because they were afraid that if they did, they would convince themselves to not act at all. To let the world die. And unlike Issa, they didn’t think themselves strong enough to do a thing after that.

They swallowed the lump forming in their throat and absently stroked the table. “Yes, I do think we should still leave,” they answered, intentionally avoiding mentioning Issa’s request. “It will be hard for me to leave, too. I’ve spent my whole life here, and it terrifies me to leave my brother all alone with a man who can’t even communicate with him. But…” They turned away, their gaze sweeping the park. There were a few families here today. One was having a picnic; another was tossing around a flying disc; another still was sitting around enjoying the time they spent together. Lec didn’t recognize any of them, and they wondered how many had been displaced. If the dragon—if it really was a dragon—got here, where would any of them go then?

They looked at Issa again. “Besides,” they said. “You wanted to see the world outside your forest, didn’t you?” A shaky smile met their lips. “It’s already been agreed that I’m your guide, and I can’t just leave you to go find out about a dragon without me. It might be the blind meeting the blind, but…” Their voice trailed, and their attempt at making their discussion more lighthearted slipped through the cracks of their wavering confidence. They straightened, hating how awkward they now felt.

Lec cleared their throat and looked back at the map they’d made. “I haven’t begun saying my goodbyes,” they admitted. “I don’t know where to begin. But they won’t be forever, you know? Even if it looks bleak, I think… I think it’s important to hold onto hope. …Right?” They looked up, hoping Issa wouldn’t see the sheen of tears in their eyes.

They grabbed for one of the lists they’d made, and they read something they’d underlined. It was a reminder to ask Issa about something before they parted today. Their cheeks grew hot, and they stammered for a moment, not knowing how to frame their question. None of the books in the library had been useful, and Lec didn’t know how to ask about this without sounding like an ignorant moron. They hesitated before finally blurting, “How well can you fight?” They thought about the paragraphs detailing the Lucet’s war customs as “barbaric and ineffective,” but bias dripped from every word. Lec didn’t know if Issa had been trained to use his ability, or if the Lucet were a fighting people at all. Discussing such a thing with an enemy of their state felt inappropriate if not downright traitorous, but they had decided it was an important thing to discuss nonetheless.

They trudged on, trying to explain the logic of their questioning. “I think your transforming will be useful to us out there, but once we find it, the beast…the dragon…well, we’re going to need to defeat it, right?” They made small, subconscious gestures with their hands, but if they were still, Issa would be able to see they were shaking. “I don’t use my magic for violence, but as you’ve seen, I use it for work. I’ve practiced for what feels like all my life, and I’ve gotten good at controlling it even during strenuous physical activity. I’d like to think, if I really, really had to, I could… When we fight it, I mean, I could…” The idea of using their magic to hurt a living being pained them, but if this was their purpose, and if this was the only way to save the world, then they would do what they had to. “We might want to train our abilities,” they suggested quietly. “Before we leave and after. I just… I’d rather be prepared, is all.”
    Thanks to Craze for the beautiful Bravely set!

~Recruitment Thread~
    Spoiler: Ashen's Personal Hall of Fame 

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

When Lec offered up their final answer, reaffirmed their commitment to this plan, Issa felt like they were reaching into his chest and squeezing his heart with their magic. Blinded by good faith, the Lucet failed to realise that Lec had subtly sidestepped the core of his question. He could think only of his home, and the people he called family. Everyone and everything he would have to leave behind to make good on his promise, despite all of his planning. Issa’s happiest memories flickered through his mind, one after another, each soured by the knowledge that it would probably be months before they returned. If they returned at all.

Lec’s attempts at consolation only served to make Issa feel worse. He knew that they were trying to comfort him, or at least make it clear they understood his pain. But just as brighter flames cast darker shadows, their overwhelming kindness only served to highlight the Lucet’s selfishness. His human was willing to make such a grand sacrifice, had been willing from the start, while he had hesitated and worried, even with the fate of the world at stake. Their attempts at finding a silver lining fell on deaf ears, too, just as the words of his village elder had done. They were the same sentiments, and about as effective. Issa responded to all of it with a small nod, not yet trusting himself to speak.

While Lec looked over another of their lists, Issa allowed his attention to wander. His gaze wandered over the park’s other visitors, drifting from one person to the next idly. It felt like there was little point doing anything else right now, given how little help he had been thus far. Given his shaky motivation and his inability to decipher any of Lec’s notes. The Lucet felt like they could use a moment to compose themselves anyway. It was only when Lec blurted out their own question without warning that Issa turned his attention back their way.

Their question was a logical one, and Issa’s mind quickly latched onto it, thankful for the distraction. After just a few moments, though, the Lucet ran into another roadblock. His eyes flickered downwards, to the scar around Lec’s neck. Their earlier gesture had reminded him of its presence. They’d never told Issa where they had gotten it, exactly, but context suggested a story that the Lucet didn’t want to hear. How were they supposed to talk of past experiences without sending Lec into another panic attack? Issa didn’t want to destroy the fragile bridge of trust they’d slowly built together, but he didn’t want to lie to Lec, either. Two conflicting truths that left him with something of a dilemma. Issa pondered the question for a long moment, before realising that the silence was beginning to drag on.

“I’ve got a little bit of experience. More than I’d care to admit, honestly.” Issa had wanted the words to be nonchalant, and hated how shaky they sounded instead. Almost immediately, his mind was filled with visions of the forest at night. Distant shouts from voices he didn’t recognise. The coppery tang of blood in his mouth, and the sensation of flesh parting beneath claws. Vacant eyes staring up at him from a body that was still warm, but refused to move. Memories from a time when he’d been determined to do what he’d been taught any good Lucet would. From a time well before he’d met Lec, when fear had made him rash. More rash than usual, anyway. Suddenly unable to meet Lec’s eye, he shifted in his seat a little, before pushing onward.

“Most of my practice comes from roughhousing against my siblings, though, or hunting animals in the forest. I’m…really not sure how effective my skills would be against something like a dragon. A monster like that is bound to be totally different from anything I’ve ever fought before.” This time Issa’s voice was less shaky and more contemplative, despite the new topic. As was so often his way, the Lucet began to tap his fingers against the wooden tabletop slightly as he pondered their circumstances. “Hell, most Lucet are so terrified of human mages and weaponry that they prefer to ambush their enemies whenever possible. For good reason, too. There’s no way I can match you for raw power at a distance. Without the forest to protect us, humans would’ve annihilated us a long time ago.”

It was around that moment that Issa realised he had gotten slightly off-topic, and was starting to ramble. He shook his head, urged himself to focus, and turned his attention back to Lec properly. “Trying to prepare for a fight sounds like a good idea. I’m not sure how we’ll actually go about practicing, though.” The Lucet pursed his lips for a moment, and his brows pinched together, wrinkling his forehead. “We could just experiment while we’re on the road, I guess. Play around with different ideas and combinations. But I’m not convinced that’s enough. Practicing alone is one thing, but performing in a real fight, under so much pressure, is another matter entirely.” The Lucet let out a soft sigh, began to chew on his lower lip idly.

“The obvious answer would be to practice together. Against each other, that is. We’d be able to learn each other’s strengths and weaknesses while working on our own.” The Lucet kept a close eye on his companion’s expression, to see how they reacted to that idea. “I’m not sure that solves our original problem, though. Practicing against other people still feels like a poor substitute for a dragon…and frankly, I’d hate for either of us to slip up and hurt the other. Especially if its right before we find our monster, when an injury could mean the difference between winning or losing.”

Issa leaned back in his seat, then. A sigh slipped past his lips as his gaze drifted upwards, to the sky above. Now he couldn’t help but wish he’d taken Lec’s plan a little more seriously, and started mapping things out in advance, as they had. Right now, it was all feeling like a little too much. A sentiment he was quick to address, albeit indirectly. “I don’t know. What do you think?”

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

The scar on their neck itched with the reminder of the things they longed to forget. It was something about the way Issa spoke about his experience with combat, about his hesitance to admit his past, or the things he didn’t say. Most of his experience was innocent, he’d said. Most of it came from play-fighting, or from hunting. Most, but not all. Lec’s mind was already jumping to conclusions, and they read too far into Issa’s words. Before they could stop themselves, Lec met Issa’s eye, and they saw confirmation of their fears there. Those demonic eyes held regret of a time not now, a time before he’d known Lec, a time when humankind was nothing more than an enemy.

A rush of nausea clamored up Lec’s throat, and they turned away to hide the disgust of forcing it back down. This man-beast before them had killed things. Animals. Prey. People. Lec thought back to Issa’s behavior at the inn, how he’d fought with those men, how he’d had no regard for their safety. He had fought for them, sure, but he’d still hurt people like he’d done it before. How were they supposed to travel and save the world with someone who had blood on his hands? How could they trust they wouldn’t be his next target, that they wouldn’t be killed on a battlefield far from home, naïve and alone and betrayed?

Their breaths became shallow, and they choked on the ones that got stuck in their throat. Now wasn’t the time for this; they had to set their doubts aside. They had already chosen to trust Issa, and thinking on it any further would just make them useless again. But their thoughts never did subside, and when they forced their attention back to their companion, they looked a bit more ragged. Breaths uneven, body fidgeting, and sweat glistening down their face, they offered him a horribly forced smile. “We—” they stated, but their words got caught on the swell in their throat, and they turned away to cough. They laughed awkwardly, painfully, praying Issa would not point out how weird they were now acting, because that would just make it worse. “Sorry,” they mumbled before finding their voice again. “Yes, I think… I think we should practice on the road, when we can. That’s a good idea.”

There were better places for practicing their fighting, but the dojo in town was for physical combat, not magic, and besides, Lec doubted they would let a Lucet into the building anyway. There were too many people around, especially now, for them to practice on the open streets of Evimaire. Even if they didn’t see another choice, Lec still didn’t like the idea of saving all their practice fighting for the faraway deserted roads, where no one would disturb them, where no one would hear Lec’s screams for help—

Lec had to remind themselves to dismiss the thought. Panic was spreading across their face again, and they pretended to concentrate on a building in the distance so Issa wouldn’t see them. If they kept letting their irrational memories control them, Issa would think them weak. He was already having doubts about leaving with them; Lec didn’t want to confirm those and jeopardize the world because of it. They swallowed the saliva building in their mouth and tried once again to look calm.

“We’ll be diligent,” they said quietly, voice wavering on unconfident. “When we train, I mean. We need to be. And I know it’s going to be…difficult. For both of us.” They looked at him, and though they couldn’t meet his eye, they kept their gaze on his face. “I know you fear my flame,” they stated. “I saw it in your eyes, when Soren and I… When… Well, you know. And it’s not a surprise to anyone that I… That your kind…” Fumbling through their sentences, Lec swore under their breath and took a moment to steady their nerves. They sculpted an apology with their hands, a sign Issa wouldn’t know but an action that had long ago become habit. “We’ll have to work on that,” they continued, hoping Issa would fill in the words they couldn’t say. “Some little embers or fangs won’t be any comparison to a living, breathing dragon.”

They saw the logic in their words, but that didn’t make them any less terrified of the truth in them. Lec didn’t know if they would ever get over their paralyzing fear of the Lucet. But only weeks ago, they couldn’t breathe around Issa, and here they were having a conversation with him. They had led him through their city, had even invited him into their room—twice! Maybe, with a lot of patience and practice, they would be able to fight alongside him. The more Lec thought about it, the more it made sense that it was a possibility, even if it still sent shivers down their spine.

Sweat coated their palms, and they were all too aware of how they were nervously fidgeting in their seat. Before they left, they would speak with the local apothecary and request some kind of concoction that might calm their broken nerves. But for now, they picked at the wooden table, trying to find a way to make this silence less awkward. “It’s important to think positively,” they said, though they couldn’t help but feel pedantic in saying it. “Our abilities complement each other’s, so if we just trust each other, I think we’ll work really well in battle. We have good chemistry for that sort of thing.” That last bit had slipped out, but Lec meant it. They felt Issa was, in a lot of ways, the complete opposite of them: he was energetic where they were reserved, bold where they were calculated, quick and powerful where they were slow and weak. Training might prove challenging even without their fears, but once they figured it out, Lec thought they would make a good team. There was just a lot in the way.

But there would be time later to sort that out. They nodded to themselves, and mumbled an, “Okay.” Lec hesitated, then said, “If that’s everything…” There was still so much planning left to do, and with their anxiety threatening to suffocate them again, they were more than ready for Issa to leave. But another part of them didn’t want him to go. They wanted to bring him back to their room at the inn, where they could continue reading their library book—the one they still hadn’t returned; their father would be so disappointed—or talk about things that weren’t this trip, this dragon, share a meal together and smile and laugh, just so they wouldn’t have to be alone, just so they could be with someone they could relax around. But Issa probably had things to do, too, and Lec wouldn’t only hinder their journey if they took Issa away from that. “Let me walk you back to the border,” they suggested. From there, it would just be a few days until they saw each other again. A few days until they started on the most important trip in the world together.

~Recruitment Thread~

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

The words that spilled from Lec’s mouth seemed agreeable enough on the surface, but there was no missing the sudden shift in their demeanour. When they’d first met up that morning, Issa’s human had seemed concerned, but also determined. Now, Lec just looked afraid. Like they were on the verge of another panic attack. Truth be told, Issa wasn’t entirely sure what had prompted the change. Maybe it was the idea of having to fight a Lucet, even as part of a training bout. Maybe all this talk of practice had made their looming fight with this dragon feel like more than a bad joke. Maybe it was something he’d said. Whatever the case, the Lucet had enough good sense to mind his tongue. For now, anyway.

When Lec began to talk of fire, suggested that they’d need to work on overcoming his fear of it, Issa began to feel about as uncomfortable as his human looked. The Lucet shifted in his seat awkwardly, pursed his lips, and averted his gaze. He had no idea how they planned on managing that, but Issa suspected that it wouldn’t be pleasant. Despite his reservations, though, Issa knew that they were right. If the dragon actually breathed fire, then he’d need to keep a level head, or they might both pay the price. With a considerable measure of reluctance, he nodded his agreement.

Lec’s admission that the two of them had some chemistry was enough to lift Issa’s spirits a little, but any elation he felt was quickly stomped out by the suggestion that followed. The response that the Lucet had been about to give died in his throat when Lec suggested that they call it a day early, and go their separate ways. What had happened to all the planning they were supposed to do, all the things they had wanted him to look over? Were they really so eager to be rid of him? Maybe he really had said something that had upset them, or caused their discomfort.

The realisation was enough to leave Issa feeling conflicted. On one hand, the last thing he wanted to do was make things worse for Lec. At the same time, though, he couldn’t help but feel hurt by such a blatant dismissal, offered up without any sort of explanation. Especially when he’d made the mistake of thinking they were getting along, and they were supposed to start travelling together so soon. Still, if that were Lec’s wish, then Issa saw no reason to deny them. The Lucet rose from his seat, mouth twisted into a disappointed frown.

“Don’t trouble yourself. If you’ve decided to do everything without me, then I’ll just fly back. Save you some time.” Issa tried his hardest to keep both his tone and his expression neutral, but a hint of displeasure inevitably crept in unbidden. He slipped out of his seat, began to walk away from the table, but only made it a handful of steps before he paused. The Lucet half-turned back towards his human companion, and this time, all of his frustration and disappointment was written clean across his features. Before he could think better of it, council himself towards caution or patience, Issa was speaking again.

“I don’t know what I’ve done wrong this time, Lec, but you can’t keep shoving me out the door like this. What are you going to do if we have another problem when we’re trapped on your boat together? If we’re going to have any chance of surviving this journey, then you’re going to have to actually talk to me sooner or later. I just hope you realise that before its too late.” As soon as the words were out his mouth, Issa regretted speaking at all. There was no taking it back now, though. Some small part of him couldn’t help but relish the freedom that came with speaking up, and he wouldn’t muddy things any further by trying to apologise now.

With no other options left, Issa turned away again, and finally did as Lec wished. Too frustrated to care about subtlety, the Lucet changed right there, heedless of any other humans that might be watching. Between one step and another, his human form twisted and changed, becoming that of a large falcon. With a few beats of his massive new wings, Issa carried himself skyward. As soon as he had enough height, the Lucet soared over the rooftops, and off into the distance.

Flying home was relatively simple. The instincts that accompanied Issa’s new animal form meant that he didn’t have to think too hard about the way he needed to angle his wings and tail, how often he had to beat his wings, or the best way to compensate for the wind. Each of these things came as easily as breathing, as if he’d been doing them all his life. He was also too far above the city to be distracted by the unfamiliar sights and sounds below. Unfortunately, that meant he had plenty of time to think on everything that had just happened. Plenty of time to dwell on his own lack of tact. Again. Even if some of the things he’d said were true, even if they’d been things Lec had needed to hear, Issa was sure there must’ve been a better way he could’ve gone about it.

When Issa finally reached the forest outskirts, he began to dive towards the ground. The Lucet would rear back at the last moment, killing his own momentum, before slipping back into his human skin. He landed without missing a beat, and promptly leaned against the nearest tree, before tilting his head back towards the sky. Issa wanted to lash out, to hit or kick something to help vent his frustrations. Instead, he just closed his eyes, and brought a hand up to pinch the bridge of his nose. “Valka take us all” he muttered softly, just to himself. He’d just have to hope that he hadn’t messed things up too badly. That Lec would still be waiting for him on the big day, and wouldn’t bear too much of a grudge.

It would be some time before he felt composed enough to face his family again, and began making his way back towards the village.

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Lec was too preoccupied by their own rising anxiety and discomfort around Issa that they didn’t notice his building annoyance. That was why, when Issa spoke, dismissing their offer to walk him back with a passive aggression Lec couldn’t remember seeing in the Lucet before, Lec was struck dumb. They reached out, wanting to stop him and ask what was wrong. Maybe Issa was anxious too, about their journey and the things they would leave behind, and maybe Lec could help to alleviate some of those doubts, but… Issa continued, proving that Lec’s thoughts were far off the mark. They visibly flinched, as if they’d been struck. Issa wasn’t mad about their newfound obligation to the world. He was mad at them.

Their immediate response was to shut him down. Tell him he was wrong, that he didn’t know anything at all, and that in the human world, you couldn’t trust everyone. He had seen what had gone on in the tavern, the kinds of people who populated human settlements. But he didn’t know the crimes that littered every newspaper’s front page, the punishment people faced for trusting too quickly, or trusting the wrong people. Issa didn’t know what had happened the last time they had trusted a Lucet to not kill them. Lec clenched their jaw, trying to word their rebuttal, but…they had nothing. All their arguments fused in their mind, and no matter how they tried to word them, they all sounded like whiny excuses.

And maybe…Issa wasn’t wrong. Saving the world was not a one-person job. Admittedly, it wasn’t a two-person job either, but that was the hand they had to work with. They would need to trust each other, and that meant more than trusting the other to not hurt them. It meant trusting their advice, their inputs, trusting their competency in a task far greater than themselves. They owed that to the world.

Lec then realized how they’d been acting since they had met with Issa just a couple hours ago. How they had made all these preparations without consulting Issa, how they’d overwhelmed him, and how they’d barely asked for his input on any of it. Issa couldn’t read the notes they’d made, didn’t understand the maps they’d brought, couldn’t possibly appreciate the work Lec had put into this. Had they made Issa feel…worthless? But that couldn’t have been it, Lec reasoned, because they were the worthless one. They had had no answers, and they were chasing leads they knew nothing about. Without Issa, they wouldn’t have known about their duty at all. Without Issa, they would never make it past the harbor. Their overpreparation was their way of trying—begging—to be useful, to do something. If Issa didn’t have a say in any of it, though, what was to keep him from doing things his own way, too?

Before they could remedy the situation—really explain what their notes meant, or the theories they’d come up with about their foe, and ask Issa for his thoughts on it all—he was storming off. Lec took a step towards him, but they stopped themselves, remembering the men at the tavern. Their injuries. Lec’s own scar. In their hesitation, Issa disappeared, replaced by a bird that soared higher than they could reach. He was gone, and maybe Lec would never see him again. Lec would deserve that, they supposed, but they hoped somehow, they’d still have an opportunity to make things up to their Issa.

Their cheeks burned in embarrassment at how they’d been acting, and their breath still caught in their throat, their body’s involuntary reaction to the memories they kept failing to silence. All this was only made worse as they turned around to go back to the inn and noticed everyone’s eyes on them. Issa had just shapeshifted in public, in board daylight, for every human at the park to see. Foreign faces gaped at where he’d been standing, while Evimairians regarded Lec with a wary annoyance. One Evimairian, a kind old man who had worked the docks sometimes and had only ever seen Lec in passing, moved away from his grandchildren to approach the startled Lec. “Did that thing hurt you?” he asked, offering a comforting hand on Lec’s shoulder. “Those damn animals, you can’t be mingling with ‘em. You’ll get yourself hurt, or worse.”

Lec straightened, though their body shook. “Issa isn’t a thing,” they said, their voice surprisingly level. “I… I trust him, with my life.” And that wasn’t true, not yet, and maybe not ever, but Lec hoped speaking it intot he world would unravel the pain they had caused, would undo the trauma Issa’s kind had left them with, and would open a way for them to be more than estranged enemies.

~~~

There was still so much to do, but Lec found it impossible to leave their room once they’d returned to the inn. They were lost in their own head, and even if they knew thinking too much like this was a waste of time that could jeopardize their mission, they couldn’t stop themselves. They wanted to talk to Issa, to explain themselves and apologize, but they didn’t know how to. It wasn’t like they could waltz into his forest and demand his audience. And besides, he was likely busy anyway, and they didn’t want to bother him. They considered writing him a letter, but then they remembered he wouldn’t be able to read it, and they were back at square one.

After wasting an entire day overthinking and staring at their walls, Lec forced themselves out of bed. Their argument with Issa wasn’t important right now. They would see him soon—they hoped—and right now, they had other people they needed to talk to. They ran a hand through their hair, which was get greasier and messier as they got further away from a proper bath, and they threw on some loose-fitting clothes. Still unmotivated and far too anxious for a normal person to function, Lec headed back to the meeting place of their newfound friends, intending to learn more about the refugee accounts and finish their preparations.

~~~

The day before they were to meet Issa again, Lec stalked the streets of Evimaire, begging their legs to take them where they wanted to go. They had to say goodbye; they owed it to Soren to tell him they’d be gone for a while. They just didn’t know how to face the kid for what could have been the final time. The thought of leaving him alone with a bitter man with no love left in his heart hurt Lec, but they didn’t know what else to do. Their time was running out, and people were now watching them pace. Their father’s house was just up ahead, and if they waited too long, Soren would leave for school, and they would miss their chance to talk with him alone.

They inhaled deeply before forcing their feet to move towards their childhood home. They knocked on the door, and after a moment, a pale-faced boy was standing before them. His blue eyes lit up when they saw his sibling, and he wrapped his arms tightly around Lec.

Lec’s smile was bittersweet, and they were surprised at the tears that welled at their eyes. They hugged him back, murmuring his name.

Soren stepped away, concern rising to his face. He signed Lec’s name, an arched brow conveying the questions they meant to ask with it. When Lec didn’t respond, he urged, “You look like shit.”

Lec was about to respond, but they snapped their mouth shut and reconsidered. “Hey,” they quipped. “Don’t use words like that.” They turned away, awkward. The kid was right; Lec knew that, even if they had been hiding from their mirrors lately. They hadn’t been able to find the energy to care how they looked.

Soren moved out of the doorway so they could both come inside. He took a seat on the couch and waited for Lec to join him. “What’s wrong?” he asked.

Lec shook their head. They wanted to tell their brother that everything was fine, but they couldn’t lie to him like that. They had rehearsed this conversation half a dozen ways, but suddenly, none of them seemed right. “Soren, I…” they started verbally, but their voice shook, so they continued the conversation with their hands. “I’m going away for a little while, okay?”

Soren inched towards them. “Where?” he asked, excitement visible in his hands.

“I’m not sure,” Lec admitted. “I have some things I need to do, across the ocean, and once we get there, we’ll…figure it out?”

Soren raised a brow. “We?”

Lec hesitated. “Yes,” they replied. “Yes, Issa and I need to go together. We have very important things to do, and it might be a while before we get back home. So I… I need you to take care of Father for me, okay?” Their hands were shaking, despite their best efforts to not think about how long they might be away.

Soren scoffed, waving Lec off. He’d never been very enthusiastic about his father either, and Lec imagined it was more likely they’d go on ignoring each other. Soren looked towards the front door, then turned his attention back to Lec. “Where’s Issa?” he asked. “Will you bring me a souvenir?”

The child’s enthusiasm only made Lec feel worse about having pushed the Lucet away. “He’s preparing,” they answered. “Saying goodbye to his family. We’ll…find a souvenir, yes.”

Soren nodded. “I hope it’s something shiny and dangerous,” he said. He then looked away to consider something. “Is Issa saying goodbye to the lady in white?”

Lec blinked. “The…what?”

“The lady,” Soren repeated, as if it should have been obvious. “I think she belongs to Issa’s family.” He mimed long, wavy hair, a flowing dress, a calm expression. “The one who told me to meet her in the forest that day.”

Lec tried to remember what fairy tale Soren could have been referring to, but they had no idea what he was talking about. “That day?” they repeated. “Do you mean the day we met Issa?”

Soren nodded. “She led me there, but then I lost her, and then you came.”

Lec had never asked Soren why he’d gone to the Lucet forest that day. They’d been so rattled by everything that had happened that they never got a chance to. But this revelation left a bad feeling in their stomach, and they hesitated. Face stern, they said, “Soren. Don’t follow strangers like that ever again.”

Soren shook his head. “She wasn’t a stranger,” he insisted. “I’d seen her before.” He reached for Lec’s neck, running their fingers over the scar. “Back then.”

Lec shivered to think someone had tried to abduct their brother—twice. “Don’t follow her anymore,” they said. How could they leave now, knowing someone was trying to get their brother hurt? Lec sighed. “I won’t be here, Soren, so I need you to keep yourself safe. Don’t make me worry about you.”

“You will anyway,” Soren replied, rolling his eyes. But he looked behind Lec, and his hands stilled, silent.

Lec followed his gaze. There was a man in the front door, his face cold, his arms crossed over his chest. Lec was up in an instant, their cheeks blazing. “Father, I—”

“Child,” their father acknowledged.

Lec tensed at the single word. They didn’t fit that title anymore, just as much as the man before them didn’t fit Father. They hesitated. They’d been putting off talking with their father for a reason, and now, they needed to face him. They didn’t know where to start. “Um.”

Their father turned to Soren. “You’re late for school,” he said, irritation creeping into his voice. Then, to Lec, he said, “What are you doing keeping my son from his life? What do you want?”

Lec winced. “I, um,” they stammered, unable to find the right words for someone they were so afraid of. Instead, they turned back to Soren and offered him their arms. The child fell into them, signing an apology into Lec’s palm. But Lec shook their head and pulled their brother tight. It was difficult to embrace the moment with their father’s eyes on them, but they knew this could have been the last hug they got with their brother. They straightened and bid him goodbye, and as Soren trotted off to school, Lec slowly turned back to their father.

They shrunk under his unwavering gaze. “Father, I… I learned the meaning of my birthmark.”

“Huh?” their father muttered. “It’s just a birthmark. What is there to learn? I’ve tried telling you—”

“It’s a mark from a goddess,” Lec interrupted, because they knew if they didn’t, their father would not let them speak. “I found someone with a similar mark over his chest. It looks like our marks could fit together. His elder says their goddess marked two special warriors who were destined to stop the dragon who’s terrorizing our planet. That’s why all the refugees are here, and that’s why my magic is so powerful, despite me not having trained it. And I’m going to—”

Their father heaved an aggravated sigh. “For once, Aleca, get your head out of the damn clouds.” He moved forward, and Lec winced, as if he were about to hit them. “Do you hear yourself?” he said instead, voice rising in anger and disbelief.

Lec grew smaller. They should have expected this, their father’s refusal to understand, but that didn’t make it any easier to swallow. Lec straightened. “Even if it isn’t true,” they continued, “I can’t sit here and not try. I couldn’t live with myself, knowing there was something I could have done to stop…that.” They motioned towards the window, to the crowds of people lining the streets. They turned back to their father. “So I’m leaving,” they said. “I’m going across the sea, to see the dragon myself, and to bring it down if I can.”

Their father’s face was always cold, always emotionless, but now, his eyes darkened in frustration, and his brow twitched in disbelief. “You want to fight a dragon,” he repeated, the joke of it tumbling past his lips. He turned away shaking his head. “That’s your mother in you,” he said. “Everything that witch touches turns mad sometime.”

Lec clenched their fist. “Hey,” they snarled, “you don’t get to talk about my mother like that.” They could feel the heat in their hands begging to be let out, but they knew better. They couldn’t leave Soren without a guardian. So they took a breath, trying to calm themselves. “If this is the last time I see you, I just wanted to say goodbye.”

Their father scoffed. He pushed past them to retrieve a bag from the dining room table, and then they made their way back to the front door. “I don’t get you, Lec,” he admitted with a sigh. “What you do with your life is your business, and if you want to throw it away chasing a fairy tale, so be it. I just hope, for your brother’s sake, you don’t get yourself killed.” He opened the door and left without so much as a goodbye.

Lec watched him go, their hands twitching with the need to burn something. If they had needed any proof that their father didn’t care about them, they had it. After a minute, they followed after him, leaving the house they’d once known. They headed for the inn. They didn’t know when the tears had started, but once they had, they were impossible to stop, and by the time they reached their room, they were sobbing. They couldn’t tell what it was—the loss of their home before they’d even set foot on their journey, the frustration of their father’s apathy, the rage at having been compared to the mother who abandoned them; or maybe it was the thought of leaving Soren, a poor boy who deserved so much more out of life that a single shitty parent and an existence confined to a silent house; or leaving Evimaire entirely, and all the people they’d known; or it was the helplessness they felt in the face of this fabled dragon, or of Issa, of the man-beast who had so drastically changed their life in just a few short weeks, the man-beast who could break them with just a few words, who meant more to them than they understood… Whatever it was, Lec threw themselves onto their bed and was unable to move from it for the rest of the day.

~~~

The next morning, after having wasted so much time, Lec could only hope that they’d done enough. They cleaned themselves up how they could, put on some clothes that would be comfortable for a long trip, grabbed their bag of tools and provisions and notes, and they glanced at the reflection in the mirror that they’d been avoiding. Would Issa point out their messy hair, the deep bags under their eyes? Would Issa even be there? There was only one way to find out, and though it terrified them to think he might not show, it scared them more to think of facing him again.

There was only so much packing they could do, and with nothing to distract their overactive mind, they set out for their meeting place early. On the way to the border, they made sure to smile at every person they passed, familiar or not, knowing this could be the last time they saw any of them. When they got there, Issa unsurprisingly wasn’t there yet, so they sat on the ground and waited. They were chewing on a plant or some sort, something the apothecary had given them, but it didn’t seem to be helping their nerves like it was supposed to. They wondered how long they should wait before deciding Issa wasn’t interested anymore, and that they’d have to save the world all by themselves.

~Recruitment Thread~

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

The hut standing before Issa resembled any other in the Lucet village. Located somewhere near the middle of their ancestral home, not far from his own hut, it was of relatively standard size and make. The ornaments and carvings that adorned it were all unique, of course, but they were unique in a way that matched the others. As if they’d all been crafted in a similar style, if not by the same artist. If Issa ever brought Lec here, they’d likely think it one amongst many. Technically speaking, they’d be correct. It was the people inside who mattered, and they were only special to Issa. Not as special as they’d be if they were human, perhaps, but they mattered to him nonetheless.

Issa lingered by the entrance, fidgeting nervously while he worked up the courage to enter. He really didn’t want to do this, just in case it turned out to be a bad day. A traitorous part of his mind whispered that it wasn’t really necessary anyway. That he could just ask another Lucet to pass his message along, and it’d amount to the same thing. As tempting as the idea was, Issa hated himself for even considering it. He’d regret it later if he didn’t even try. Besides, there was a distinct possibility that this was the last time he’d ever see them. Holding that knowledge in the front of his mind, Issa took a deep breath to steady himself, before stepping forward.

“Hello? Is anyone home?” Issa let his voice snake out ahead of him in warning, before he finally ducked his head and stepped through the doorway. Once inside, his gaze quickly settled on the middle-aged woman sitting near the middle of the hut. Her long, blonde hair framed her face as she leaned over mortar and pestle, grinding something into paste. Fixing some sort of medicine, if past experiences were any sort of indicator. She was surrounded by dried herbs and flowers, dozens of different kinds, a few of which Issa recognised. The woman looked up, and Issa found himself looking at features almost identical to his own. Before he could say anything else, she broke out into a wide smile.

“Issa!” As soon as his mother spoke his name, the knot of worry in Issa’s chest began to loosen. His shoulders dropped, and he let out a shaky breath. She recognised him this time. Remembered him. She was having a good day after all. “It’s so good to see you, dear. It really has been too long since you last visited us. Come, come. Sit.” His mother abandoned her work and rose, rushing across the room to usher him inside. Issa let her fuss over him without complaint, too relieved to object.

Once she’d gotten her wish, Shana produced two cups of herbal tea at record speed. She set one down in front of Issa, before seating herself opposite. When they were both settled, she pushed the mortar and pestle into her son’s hands. Issa quickly picked up where she left off, grinding up the herbs with familiar motions. Once she was satisfied, his mother picked up some sort of spider lily and began stripping away its petals. The two of them worked in amicable silence, just for a moment. Under different circumstances, Issa would’ve been happy to sit there and help in peace all morning. To enjoy his mother’s company, and the sense of nostalgia that accompanied the entire situation. Unfortunately, the young Lucet had other things to do today.

“Is father around? I was hoping to catch both of you.” Issa suspected that he already knew the answer, even before his mother shook her head. While he had inherited his mother’s hair and facial features, he had always been his father’s son. His wanderlust, his sense of curiosity, and his inability to sit still for more than a few minutes had all come from his dad.

“He’s off gathering herbs for me, dear. You’re more than welcome to wait with me until he gets back, though. Stay for lunch, if you like.” Inwardly, Issa sighed. It was a kind offer, and he’d be more than happy to accept on any other day. There was no way he could agree and still meet with Lec on time, though. He’d just have to tell his mother what was happening, say his goodbyes to her, and hope that Shana remembered to pass his words on to father whenever he returned. Issa had just opened his mouth to break the news to her when she beat him to the punch, speaking first without looking up from her work.

“Speaking of family, have you seen Davin recently? It’s been a while since he’s come to visit us too, and I’m worried that he’s going to run out of his medicine if he keeps dawdling like this.” Shana’s tone was conversational, but her words made Issa feel like he’d just been shoved into the lake on a cold winter morning. His hands fell still, and when his mother looked at the bowl, urged him to keep going, her words seemed to come from some place far away. Darin had died years ago. He’d been killed during one of the human incursions. Shana knew that…or she was supposed to, anyway.

Apparently she wasn’t having such a good day after all.

“Y-yeah.” Issa’s stuttered his way through an answer while his mind raced, scrambling for something to say. If his mother realised something was amiss, though, she gave no sign of it. She just continued to work, and threw a cursory glance in his direction when the silence began to drag. “Darin’s doing well enough. He just hasn’t felt up to making the trip lately. I can take his medicine to him when I go, if you want.” Shana’s brow furrowed, but she quickly nodded her assent. She also refrained from pushing any further, much to Issa’s relief. The two of them lapsed back into silence, giving him a much needed chance to think.

His mother’s memory was playing up again. That much was clear. Issa had been fooled by the fact she’d recognised him, but she probably saw him as a younger version of himself right now. It had happened before, though not for a while. If that was the case, then there was even less chance she’d pass his message along to father. That didn’t change the fact that he couldn’t afford to wait for the man’s return, though. He’d need to speak to one of the other Lucet after all. Ask them to check in on his family, and let them know he’d gone next time Shana was having a good day. Just like he’d considered doing before coming inside.

Frustration bubbled up inside Issa, so sudden and overwhelming that it seemed to suffocate him. He loved his mother. Wanted to spend more time with her, even if she wouldn’t remember it. At the same time, he wasn’t sure he could sit here any longer. Wasn’t sure he could stomach seeing her like this. It wasn’t fair to either of them for time to steal her away now, before Valka had decided to stake her claim. It just wasn’t fair.

“I can’t stay for long, mother. I just came to tell you that the Elder has given me a very important job. She needs me to start right away, though, so I won’t be around much for the next couple of weeks.” A rancid mixture of guilt and shame washed over Issa, and he had to fight hard to keep his expression neutral. It was technically true, so long as you didn’t look too closely. That’s what he told himself, anyway.

“Oh, really? That sounds important.” When his mother looked up, Issa could her surprise written across her features, plain as day. He rose before Shana could try and press the issue. “It’s very important. I’m sorry I can’t spend any more time with you first, but it really can’t wait. I just came by to give my love to you and dad. You’ll let him know, won’t you?” Shana nodded, but her assurances brought Issa no relief. He knew the gesture to be a lie, even if his mother didn’t.

“Thank you.” Issa leaned forward and planted a quick kiss on his mother’s cheek, before he made for the exit. Shana called out after him, reminding him that he needed to take Darin’s medicine with him, but Issa didn’t stop. With tears prickling in the corners of his eyes, he slipped out of the hut and into the sunlight beyond, leaving his mother behind.

She wouldn’t remember him running out on her later anyway.

~~~

Back in his own hut, Issa went over his preparations one last time before he departed.

He’d borrowed a backpack made of branches, bones, and treated animal hide from one of the other Lucet. It was probably inferior compared to whatever the human equivalent was, but it suited Issa’s purposes just fine. He’d stuffed it to bursting with clean clothes, dried meats, a waterskin, and several other little bits and pieces that had seemed like they might come in handy. He’d warned the village elder of his departure in advance, and didn’t feel the need to go and remind her again. He’d visited his mother, but still needed to remind someone to check in on his parents while he was gone. He needed to say goodbye to Syl at some point, too. That was fine. Those were both things he could do on the way out. With any luck, he’d be able to kill two birds with one stone.

This was it. No more procrastinating. He was as ready as he was ever going to be.

With a measure of reluctance, Issa shouldered his pack and stepped out of his hut, into the greater village beyond. When he glanced around, he saw that it was business as usual for everyone else. That was for the best. He would’ve loved a proper send-off, but the Lucet had refrained from telling too many people what was happening today. Saying goodbye to this place was already going to be hard, and he didn’t need anything making it even more difficult. Besides, the peace gave him one last chance to try and commit everything he saw and heard to memory. To etch every detail into his mind, no matter how small. Just in case.

Issa had barely begun to walk when a barrel-chested Lucet stepped into his path, blocking the way. Jez stared at the younger Lucet in silence for a long moment, his expression as inscrutable as ever. Issa held his gaze, not bothered in the slightest. The last time he’d seem Jez had been on the night when he’d met Lec for the first time, and Issa remembered him wearing a similar expression back then. He’d escorted Issa to the Elder’s tent for punishment, and he’d ended up making a human friend as a result. Perhaps Issa ought to thank him for that. Regardless, now that he was leaving, he had nothing to fear from the older man.

The silence stretched on for a long moment, until Jez finally broke it. “It’s true, then. You’re leaving.” The old man didn’t speak the words so much as grunt them. Issa responded with a stalwart nod, and was surprised when the larger man extended a hand towards him. After a brief moment of hesitation, he found one of his hands trapped in a grip of iron, tight enough to make his fingers ache. “You come back safe and sound, ya hear?”

Issa nodded his agreement, before quickly withdrawing his hand when Jez released it. He resisted the urge to massage his fingers, instead focusing on the opportunity this chance encounter offered. “My parents. I went to visit them earlier, but Shana…” Issa trailed off, but it didn’t matter. Jez quickly picked up on his meaning. “I’ll take care of it, lad. Don’t you worry.” As blunt and abrupt as ever, he strode off without another word. Issa just watched him go. He wasn’t sure if Elder Nakoa had told Jez he was leaving, or if the man had seen his pack and figured it out himself. Either way, Issa found himself glad for the support. Jez was among the more responsible Lucet he knew, and for someone he butted heads with so often to come wish him well…it was a balm of sorts.

Now that Jez was gone, Issa started to walk again. He set a leisurely pace for himself, despite the very real possibility that he might be late. Just like any other day, he waved and called greetings to those he passed. He took in the sights, listened to the relaxed chatter of his family, tried to memorise the sound of the kids playing and laughing together. A part of Issa’s mind still wondered if he would ever return, and who wouldn’t be here to greet him when he did. He had no doubts that whoever remained would welcome him back wholeheartedly, but whether or not they’d believe any stories he had to share was another matter entirely.

It wasn’t long before Issa stumbled upon another familiar face. He found Syl leaning against a building near the village outskirts. As soon as their eyes met, she straightened up and started walking towards him. Issa watched her gaze flicker between his face and his pack, and watched her mouth harden into a line. He wasn’t sure if she was going to bid him farewell or try and convince him to stay, but he tried to prepare himself for the worst.

She averted her gaze for a moment, before she finally spoke. “Can I walk with you?” It wasn’t what Issa had been expecting, but he didn’t have to think about his answer for long. Syl fell into step beside him, and together they left the village behind. Issa was struck by the need for haste again. He knew that he should be running or flying in animal form if he wanted to meet with Lec on time, but he quickly discarded the idea. The forest was just as much his home as the village proper, and considering that this might be their last meeting, he wanted to enjoy Syl’s company while he could.

Issa spent the entire trip waiting for Syl to speak up, but with every step that passed, he found his expectations subverted. The two of them continued their trip in comfortable silence, as only close friends could. That felt more agreeable than either of the alternatives he’d predicted, somehow, and Issa found himself grateful for her thoughtfulness and understanding. The mere suggestion that she had so much confidence in him, and that he’d still have at least one friend left when he returned, meant more than he could possibly hope to say.

Much too soon, the trees began to thin. The sunlight began to get brighter, and the undergrowth became less of an obstacle. Then, at long last, the human settlement came into view. Even from this distance, Issa could see that Lec was already there, waiting for him. The Lucet wondered, briefly, just how this meeting was going to go. He’d tried to avoid thinking about the unfortunate terms they’d parted on last time, and what it might mean for today, all under the pretense of preparing for their trip. Now, confronted with the possibility that Lec might resent him, Issa found that he had another reason to be apprehensive about leaving.

Before their reunion could take place, though, there was one last matter for Issa to attend to. He slowed to a halt and turned to face Syl, only to find that she was already watching him. The corners of her mouth quirked upwards briefly, before she stepped forward and pulled him into a tight embrace. Issa hugged her back, wrapping his arms around her gently. He let his eyes flicker closed, even as he felt tears welling up in the corners of his eyes.

“When you get back, you’re going to tell me everything. Got it?” She whispered the words in his ear, and Issa chuckled softly in response. When the moment passed, he released Syl and took a small step back. There was a familiar grin plastered across his features now, and she mirrored it with one of her own.

“I might even bring you a gift. Only if you’re good, though.”

“If I’m not, then its only because you’re a terrible influence on me.” Syl held his gaze for a moment longer before she sobered, smile fading a little. “Goodbye, Issa. I’ll miss you. Come back soon, okay?” He nodded his agreement, any Syl finally turned for home. Issa stood there and watched until she had disappeared from sight, obscured by the forest, before he turned his attention towards the city again. He took a deep breath, tried to steel himself, and set off. Towards the city, and his inevitable rendezvous with Lec.

When Issa got closer, the first thing he noticed was the herb they were chewing. His mother’s teachings lingered in the back of his mind, and he wondered if he’d be able to identify it, given half a chance. The second thing he noticed was how disheveled and messy Lec looked. The third was the bag they had with them, functionally similar to his own, but of totally different construction. Its presence helped reinforce the notion that he’d spent so long struggling to accept. They really were about to leave both the forest and Evimarie behind, and head out into the greater world. The thought would’ve brought him more joy if not for the other circumstances surrounding their departure.

“Hey there.” Issa’s greeting sounded flat, even to his own ears. He couldn’t help but feel disappointed by his own awkwardness again, despite how inevitable it felt. If he were speaking with another Lucet, Issa might have said more. Poked fun at their appearance, maybe. He knew Lec well enough to know they wouldn’t appreciate the jab right now, though, so he refrained. The Lucet stood there in silence for a moment, before averting his gaze, directing it towards the city instead. For all his natural charisma, he had no idea how to best dispel any lingering tension he felt between them.

“You said that we’re taking a boat, right? I don’t know how these things normally work, but I’d prefer to get going right away, if possible. Before I start to second-guess this trip any more than I already am.”

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

The minutes dragged on, and all Lec could do was fumble with their hands in their lap, trying to have faith in Issa. They signed to themselves, reminders and reassurances, but they weren’t paying attention to them; rather, they took a small amount of comfort from the purpose of their hand movement. That didn’t last long, however, and soon, their signs dispelled into erratic taps against their leg. They had met with Issa before, many times now, and never had they felt this nervous. Lec told themselves it was because of the trip, but they knew the truth. They were anxious about seeing Issa again after that had happened last time.

Their gaze flickered all over the place, so they noticed right away when Issa poked out from the forest. They stood, relief and anxiety mixing in their chest, but then they noticed the person walking with him. Another red-eyed beast, they must have been part of his family. Lec realized then that they didn’t know much of anything about where Issa had come from. He had an elder, and… That was all they could recount. Maybe excluding Issa went beyond preparing for their trip. Maybe Lec had been a bad friend from the beginning. Gnawing on the guilt that brought them, Lec turned away to give Issa privacy with his relative.

When Issa’s friend left and he started towards them, Lec pretended to be focused on a group of people a little distance away. They didn’t know how to face Issa. When he was close enough, they turned towards him and offered a small smile. “Hi,” they replied quietly, hating how hollow their voice sounded. Issa was better at keeping his emotions hidden than Lec was, and Lec hated that they couldn’t figure out what he was thinking. Was he as afraid as they were about what was to come? About leaving their homes, their families, the familiarity? Was he, too, terrified of the possibility of failure? …Did he hate them? Had he come willingly, wanting to see Lec and work together with them, or had this been a chore, another thing he was only doing out of obligation? Lec wanted to ask, to figure out where they were, how this trip would go, but they couldn’t bring themselves to speak. So instead, they tried to shake their doubts, telling themselves that it didn’t matter right now. Issa was here now, and that was the important thing. Now, they just had to start their journey.

The silence that followed their greetings crept under Lec’s skin and hurt like spikes. Lec turned away, not knowing how to do…any of this. For all their preparations, they didn’t know what to do with the discomfort Issa arose in them. Luckily, Issa continued on, urging their trip forward, and Lec had something to hold onto. “A boat,” they repeated, nodding. “Yes, well, a ship. We’ll need something decently-sized to get us all the way across the ocean. It should take a few days, if the waves are kind to us. Or…that’s what I’ve heard.”

Lec hadn’t ever made a trip like this either, but they considered what Issa must have been thinking. He had barely even seen the ocean; was traveling by ship such a smart idea? They didn’t have much a choice if they wanted to get to where the refugees said the dragon would be, but… Lec considered how Issa might react, or how scared he might be to approach technology that was so new to him. “The sailors are really good at commanding the ships,” they said, and though they hated how awkward they sounded, they hoped Issa would at least be a little comforted by their reassurances. “And if anything goes wrong, there are some mages onboard who can help keep people safe from drowning. Plus, I’ll be there, and no one but a god of the sea could control water like I can.” They realized how arrogant that sounded and immediately winced at their own words. Lec hesitated, feeling like they didn’t know how to talk to Issa anymore, or even that they should. They held out a hand for Issa, inviting him to follow them, and motioned with their chin towards the pier. “Yeah, um, let’s get going.”

The walk there was short and uncomfortable. Lec racked their brain for anything to fill the silence, anything to make this less awkward. They could have told Issa about the things they had packed, or the information they’d gathered; they could have asked him how he was holding up, or who his friend who had walked him to Evimaire had been. Yet every conversation died somewhere in their throat. They felt like they were suffocating. By the time they did reach the pier, sweat was making their hands sticky, and they were counting their own breaths to calm down.

Lec already knew what to do. Even if they had never made the trip themselves, they had lived by the ocean their whole life, and they’d even taken time this week to watch people here, just to get an idea of what they’d need to say. They fell back on that knowledge now, as they purchased two tickets for a ship that was about to leave. They pocketed them and made their way to the boarding ramp, but then they stopped. Issa wanted to be included in things. He wanted to know what was going on. “Here,” Lec said, taking one of the tickets and handing it to Issa. “We’re going to hand these to that woman at the top of the ramp so she can ensure we’re getting on the right boat. She can help us with directions, too, but I think I know where we’re going.” The person they motioned at was currently checking over other passengers on the ship and talking to them with a smile on her face. “She might look in your pack,” they added. “It’s to make sure you’re not bringing weapons on board. It’s not something that happens here, but I’ve heard stories in other ports about evil people. Just let her look, okay? That’s normal.”

What was not normal was that very woman stopping Issa to remove his pack from his bag entirely to sift through its contents. She hadn’t done so with Lec’s things, and the Lec was very aware of why Issa was being treated differently. When she was done, the guard handed Issa’s pack back to him and stared for a long moment at his eyes. Lec grabbed for Issa’s hand, dying to get out of here, get away from people who would treat him differently. “To check for threats,” they said quietly so that only he would hear them, hoping that was enough to keep him from making a scene.

The ordeal did not last long, and once the guard was done with them, Lec half-jogged away from her towards the other end of the ship. “You didn’t deserve that,” they told Issa. “They don’t need to check that thoroughly. It’s just, no one is used to seeing someone… Well, someone like you. Not on a ship, and probably not where we’re going, either.” Lec shifted, realizing that they had probably said something offensive. “I’m sorry,” they continued. “It’s going to be a first for all of us, I think.” They were trying to keep things lighthearted, but their words felt hollow, and they just bit their lip.

Before they could run into anyone else, Lec guided Issa away from deck to head downstairs. They made their way to a long hall filled with cabins. These were similar to the ones they had run through while aboard the cruise liner, albeit much smaller and less luxurious. Lec walked down the hall, paying attention to the numbers on the doors. As uncomfortable as it made them to talk to him right now, Lec half-turned towards Issa. “Our cabin number is on our tickets,” they said, pointing to the bottom right corner of their own, where a miniscule number was printed. “225. The first number tells you what floor it’s on. If you get lost, just look for the number on the door that matches the one on your ticket, okay?”

They found their cabin easily enough, and when Lec unlocked it, they stepped into a tiny room with two small beds and a table between them. There was barely enough room to open the other door in the room, which presumably led to a closet-sized bathroom. Lec claimed the bed further from the door and tossed their pack onto it. The single window in the room showed the steady waves, so Lec closed it. “A lot of people get sick on ships,” they explained. “The waves can really throw things around. It helps if you don’t have to look at it.”

Lec straightened. Now, they were alone, with a long road ahead of them and too much behind them. They were still uncomfortable; they would be uncomfortable until they soothed the tension between them. So, taking a breath, Lec spoke again. “Look, Issa,” they said, voice soft but stern. “I want to talk about what happened during our last meeting, or really, what’s been happening since I’ve known you. I’ve been an independent person since my mom left, and that’s not an excuse, but…” They turned away, words jumbling in their throat. After a moment, they started again. “I’d like to make it up to you. Even if I know more about the human world out there, that doesn’t make your input any less valuable. So I thought we should look over the notes I’ve made, and the maps. I’ll explain what I’ve found, and I want to hear what you think of it. I’m willing to hear what you have to say, even if you disregard most of the things I’ve come up with. That… That would be okay. You deserve a say in what we do and where we go, too.”

Their face was hot, and their fingers were fidgeting again. At this point, they were sure they were chewing on garden grass for all the good it was doing. Apologizing like this felt awkward, but they couldn’t deny that they felt better after it. They forced their attention back to Issa, and they offered him a small, only half-forced smile. “Later,” they added. “We’ll have time to do all that later. Right now, we should…” What? They’d be trapped on a ship together for the next few days. What even was there to do?

They hesitated, trying to decide how to spend the beginning of their trip together. “Do you want to…explore?” they suggested. “I’ve only ever seen ships like these from the outside. I think it’d be…fun…to get a look around. Would help to know where things are, too. And I think if I have to sit in this room with my thoughts any longer, I might just die.” They stood and walked towards the door, but they stopped themselves. “If you’d rather stay here, though…” they said, voice trailing. If Issa wanted to be alone, they would busy themselves somewhere on the ship, even if they didn’t know where. But they wanted to spend time with him, to soothe any ill feelings still lingering between them, and they figured getting to know their surroundings was as good a start as any.
    Last edited by Ashen; 07-24-2022 at 12:41 AM.

~Recruitment Thread~

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

All the new information that Lec offered Issa about their journey was accepted with a stony-faced nod. The bit of unexpected bragging that followed was enough to coax a small smirk out of him, but nothing more. Any other day, the Lucet might’ve made a quip about how he was putting his life into their capable hands, or how Sagarii must feel about such a bold claim. Today, though, he simply couldn’t muster up the enthusiasm. Issa simply accepted Lec’s invitation, and began to follow them towards the waterfront.

Their final trip through Evimarie evoked none of the excitement that Issa had been expecting. He wanted to remember this place. To engrave the details upon his memory, as he had done with the Lucet village, just in case they never returned. But everywhere Issa looked, he saw nothing but reminders of what they were supposed to do. Of the monster that awaited them at journey’s end. Gone were the markets filled with oddities, and the crowds that had filled them. Instead, he saw nothing but abandoned shopfronts and downtrodden refugees. This wasn’t how Issa wanted to remember the first human town he had ever seen, and he was doubly sure that this wasn’t how Lec wanted to remember their home.

Still, there was nothing to be done about it. Perhaps memories of the people they were trying to save could help bolster his flagging resolve, if nothing else.

When they finally arrived at the ocean, Issa found himself almost as awe-struck as the first time Lec had brought him here. The compilation of sights, smells, and sounds threatened to overwhelm the inexperienced Lucet. The idea that they’d be crossing such a vast body of water was almost inconceivable to him, even with the aid of human technology. While Lec went about securing them passage, Issa eyed the collection of boats, and remembered what had happened the first time he’d set foot on one. The memory elicited a soft chuckle from the Lucet. Hopefully they’d be on a different ship this time, where the crew wouldn’t recognise them.

Issa snapped out of his reverie when Lec returned. His human guide pressed a ticket into his hand, and the Lucet spent a brief moment examining it. Lec’s explanation made the process sound simple enough, despite his total lack of familiarity with it. The idea of bad people trying to bring weapons aboard for some nefarious purpose was enough to raise a few questions, but Issa stopped himself from voicing them. As much as he wanted to ask, this didn’t seem like the time. Issa didn’t think anything he had packed would cause concern, anyway. Lec insisted this was all normal, and he trusted their judgement.
    Issa gripped his ticket tightly as they marched up the gangplank, afraid that the wind would try and pluck it from his hand. When they reached the top, the sailor did as Lec had predicted, and insist that he hand over his bag for inspection. Issa hesitated, just for a moment, before the warning his guide had given him bubbled to the front of his mind. The Lucet quickly squashed any thought of objection, shrugging the bag from his shoulders and handing it over without any sort of fuss.

Issa just stood there awkwardly while the sailor rummaged through his things. After a few moments, he glanced towards Lec, seeking some sort of reassurance. Instead, he was greeted by the suspicious stares of the other passengers. They watched him with a strange mixture of wariness and contempt, despite Lec’s reassurances that this sort of thing was standard. The Lucet felt his cheeks begin to burn at the realisation, but he knew that any sort of objection would only make things worse. Issa settled for just staring at an empty stretch of deck near his feet, then, until the woman was done.

When his bag was back in his possession, Issa couldn’t get away from the sailor and the other passengers quickly enough. He followed Lec closely, while hugging his bag to his chest. The consolation they offered was kind, but only served to confirm that such treatment wasn’t normal after all. Still, while being put on display like that had been humiliating, it was the sort of treatment Issa had come to expect from less understanding humans. “You did warn me.” The Lucet’s tone suggested that he didn’t want to discuss it any further, and he quickly followed Lec below.

After committing Lec’s instructions to memory, Issa followed them into the room they’d been assigned. First impressions were somewhat underwhelming. While the Lucet looked around, he couldn’t help but feel it was a considerable downgrade from Lec’s previous room. Perhaps that was to be expected, though, since these were only supposed to be temporary lodgings. Sleeping in a human bed, and in the same room as Lec, would both be strange new experiences too. A part of his mind couldn’t help but wonder if they snored.

Issa had just placed his bag atop his own bed, in a mirror of Lec’s own actions, when his guide decided to address the elephant in the room. Their stern tone was enough to make the Lucet tense up, just for a moment, before he realised where this was going. When his human mentioned their absentee mother, a familiar pain sprung up in Issa’s chest, accompanied by a wave of sympathy. Before he could form a proper reply, though, Lec had moved on to…the maps. Inwardly, Issa sighed. He wasn’t sure if they’d misunderstood the meaning behind his outburst, or this was just the only concession they were able to make. Either way, it wasn’t quite the resolution he had been hoping for, regardless of what Lec seemed to think. Still, he appreciated that they were trying.

Issa briefly considered forcing the issue, but quickly decided against it. The Lucet wasn’t sure he was willing to expose himself again so soon, after the embarrassment he’d suffered just a few moments ago. Besides, between their fidgeting hands and flushed cheeks, Lec looked so uncomfortable that Issa almost wanted to take a break solely for their benefit. He’d find another opportunity to address the issue later, when they were both feeling more up to it. Hell, he’d make one, if it became necessary.

“I suppose we haven’t spent any time running around this ship yet. Though I’d prefer to avoid pissing off the guards this time, if we’re going to be stuck with them for a couple of days.” Issa tried to keep a straight face when he answered, but he was unable to suppress a playful smile. As soon as he accepted the proverbial olive branch Lec had offered, the tension between them seemed to lighten. Probably more so for Lec, if they hadn’t realised Issa didn’t quite consider the matter settled. “Come on. Let’s see what we can find.” He headed for the hallway, pausing only once, to make sure his human was following.

The first few turns Issa made led them down a handful of other cabin-adjacent hallways. A few of them contained other guests, but the Lucet made sure to give them plenty of space, after what had happened above. Once he started to get a feel for the ship’s layout, and began to realise that all the cabins were grouped together, Issa did a better job of leading them to more noteworthy locations.

The first place they came across was a large room filled with tables and chairs, with a few long benches at the far end. Some sort of meal hall, apparently, where all the guests would be served together. It was empty right now, though. Issa wasn’t sure if that was due to the time, or everyone else was still busy getting ready for their departure. Since there was nothing of any real interest, he was quick to move on.

The next room they stumbled upon was similar to the first, but with one major difference; the presence of a modest wooden stage. Just like the buffet, this room was empty too. Driven by idle curiosity, Issa began to weave between the tables, heading towards it on little more than a whim. As he got closer, the Lucet began to realise that the stage wasn’t quite as small as he’d first assumed. Instead of being just a small step above the floor, it came up to about his waist. The Lucet placed his hands atop it, felt the grain of the treated wood beneath his fingers, before throwing a glance at Lec.

“At least you’ll have one thing to help remind you of home.” Since there were no prying eyes to dissuade him, the Lucet quickly climbed up onto the stage. Instead of using the perfectly good steps set off to one side, he just lifted himself up with his arms, until he was able to get one of his knees over the edge. Once he’d risen to his full height, Issa turned and cast his gaze out over the rest of the room, as if he were a performer. The change in perspective was startling. Issa tried to imagine what it would be like with the music playing, and the lights dimmed. With a full crowd, and every eye on him. For all his confidence and bravado, the thought made him a little bit uneasy.

“How do you do this?” Issa’s voice was soft as his gaze slipped back down towards Lec, confident that his guide would know what he meant.

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

It wasn’t hard to guess that Issa wasn’t totally satisfied by their conversation. Something was still bugging him, and Lec wanted to address that, to make him feel better about the whole thing. They wasted several moments trying to guess at what was troubling him before deciding it wasn’t worth making assumptions. The important thing for now was that Issa was ready to move on, and they were happy to be rid of the weight on their chest.

The reference to their last time aboard a ship got a small chuckle out of Lec. They still weren’t sure how Issa had convinced them to act so rebelliously, but such behavior—if they intended to cause trouble again—would have to wait until after they set sail. They didn’t know what they’d do if they were thrown off the ship and barred from their journey before it had properly begun. As they thought back on that day, just a few weeks ago now, they found themselves missing it, and they wondered what other adventures they and Issa would get up to while away from home.

Lec followed Issa out into the hallway and through the cabin halls. Many other passengers were busy checking into their rooms, but when Issa walked by, Lec noticed the way they hesitated, stopped what they were doing, gripped their bags a little tighter, backed away from the stranger. Lec wanted to call them out, criticize them for treating Issa like some dangerous animal, but after what had happened just a few minutes ago, with the guard who had checked their bags, Lec didn’t want any more issues. They hoped things would be better overseas, that people were more open-minded there. Trying to stay optimistic, they jogged to catch up with Issa, who was either oblivious to the rude passengers or just as unwilling to face another confrontation.

They were glad when Issa led them away from the cabins. They ended up instead in a sizable dining hall with rows of counters where food would be displayed and guests could help themselves. Supper wouldn’t start for another few hours, Lec assumed, and as they walked through the room, they wondered how Issa would take to all the new human foods he’d be exposed to. They didn’t have long to ponder that thought; once the two were satisfied, they moved on to explore more of the ship.

The next room they entered seemed to be an auditorium of sorts with a large stage. Lec didn’t remember seeing anything about entertainment on their trip, but they had been preoccupied with everything else and figured they just missed it. They wondered about the types of performances that happened on ships like this: musicians, with their exotic instruments; dancers, with their foreign movements; even illusionists, with their fascinating sleight of hand. Maybe they would get to see all kinds of performances, if they were lucky.

They followed Issa to the stage. This close, they could see how polished the wood was, how pretty the stage was kept for guests. Issa’s comment brought them a smile, though they doubted they would be comfortable performing here. “Not quite,” they murmured, but Issa didn’t seem to hear them. He was hoisting himself onto the stage. Lec hesitated, reaching an arm out as if to stop him, but their fingers only brushed his arm. Whatever performance was scheduled for them probably wouldn’t start until after supper, so no one would be here for hours. Where was the harm in exploring a little?

They joined Issa onstage, and as they got to their feet, they looked out over the rows of tables and chairs in the room. Their performances at the Moonlit Dragon were easy; they couldn’t imagine performing for an audience they didn’t know, one that came from much further than their little Evimaire. They wondered again about the people they’d find overseas, how different they were, how they and Issa would adapt to them.

Lec turned to him, and they saw him looking at the empty audience too. His question settled between them for a moment, Lec choosing their words. “I learned from my mother,” they replied simply. A small smile met their face, and they shrugged softly. “She was a dancer, and growing up, I watched her glide across our house as if it were a stage. She liked to teach me the moves she came up with, too. I guess you could say I’ve been dancing since before I even knew to talk.

“I was always a shy kid, and I didn’t like the idea of having an audience. But the way Mother talked about it, and how excited it made her, and how she performed, it all seemed so magical. She seemed so proud whenever I would dance with her, and there was no greater feeling than knowing I had made her smile.” Their gaze fell to the wooden stage, and Lec sighed, their smile turning bittersweet. “When I was old enough to work, I followed in her footsteps. I wanted to do something that would make her proud. I think some dumb part of me thought that if I got good enough, if I danced well enough, she would notice, and she’d come back to us.” They laughed, quiet, imperceptible, tinged with sadness. “She never did see me perform, but knowing that she might someday be in the crowd gave me the courage to try.”

They turned their attention back to Issa and offered him a smile. “I owe a lot to my mother,” they continued. “She would have liked you. Might have tried to teach you, too.” They paused, then added, “I wish you could have met her.”

They let the pain of her absence rest on their chest for only a moment before drawing in a deep breath. Lec looked around the room again, and they noticed the stage lights hanging overhead. There were four of them, each pointing at a different spot on the stage, though the power wasn’t on. Getting an idea, they raised their hands to eye level and suddenly swiped them across the air in front of them. A small, powerful gust rose from their touch to head towards the roof. It knocked into the stage lights, and Lec adjusted their wind, noisily setting the lights in place. “I wonder where the power is,” they comment idly, already turning towards the backstage to check. They found the console easily enough, and after switching the lights on, they returned to where Issa was standing.

The room came alive with a soft hum of the lamps. The stage lights were the last to turn on, and all four beams settled on Issa in the center of the stage. Lec smiled, proud of their work, and motioned towards him. “The spotlight is on you,” they told him. “It’s easier, when you have someone rooting for you.” After casting another glance at the doors of the room to make sure no one was coming, they looked back to Issa. “Do you know how to dance?” they asked. “I’ve never seen a real Lucet dance before.”

~Recruitment Thread~

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

While Lec found their voice, Issa turned his attention towards the far end of the hall again. Out over the edge of the stage, and towards the mess of tables and chairs beyond. He didn’t look at his companion when they began to speak, but the Lucet’s uncharacteristic stillness made it clear he was listening. Issa tried to imagine some of the scenes Lec spoke of – a younger version and an older version of his human, dancing side by side, without any music. Lec’s mother taking things slowly, teaching them one step at a time. The way she might’ve caught Lec when they stumbled, and set them back on their feet. The smiles and laughter they might’ve shared. All of it was pure fabrication, of course. Issa had no idea what Lec’s mother had actually looked like, or the sort of person she’d actually been. It made for a touching fantasy nonetheless. One that brought a small smile to his face.

It didn’t take long for things to take a darker turn. While Lec didn’t say it outright, the way they framed their reasoning made it clear that their mother wasn’t around anymore. That she was gone, but also not dead, unless Lec was just waxing poetic. Issa had suspected that those memories were painful, for one reason or another. While he’d heard plenty about their father, and had met Soren, the Lucet had never heard so much as a whisper about the mother before. Issa glanced back at his human, just in time to catch a glimpse of their bittersweet smile, and the hollow laughter that followed. The expression was so familiar that it hurt. Apparently they shared more common ground than either of them had realised before, even if their situations weren’t totally identical.

Still, Lec’s mother had left them a gift. One that they’d taken and cultivated, growing it into their passion, and their livelihood. Of that, Issa couldn’t help but feel a little jealous. What had his mother left him? A few bits of scattered herblore, too old and disjointed to ever be of any real use. That – No. No. Issa took that bitter thought and shoved it into the deepest recesses of his mind, where he’d hopefully never need to confront it again. He couldn’t help but feel disgusted with himself for daring to think anything of the sort. The Lucet raised their children differently, and his mother wasn’t to blame for what had happened to her regardless.

Issa met Lec’s eye the next time they looked back his way, only to freeze at the kind words that came tumbling out of their mouth next. The fondness with which Lec had spoken of their mother made the sentiment incredibly touching, and Issa wasn’t sure he deserved it, after the treacherous thoughts that had just crossed his mind. The Lucet knew he should say something – that he should offer Lec some sort of sympathy, or at least thank them – but he was too slow. Before Issa could gather his wits, Lec had moved on. They raised a hand and stirred up an unnatural wind, sending it off into the darkness overhead. Issa spent a moment peering up above, trying to figure out where that squeaking noise was coming from, and what they were planning. He glanced back in Lec’s direction, intending to ask, only to find that his human had strolled away in the meantime.

The next thing Issa knew, the lights in the hall came alive, filling the entire room with their artificial glow. Then they were followed by another set, more powerful than the first. The Lucet immediately threw up an arm to shield his eyes, squinting against the sudden brightness. If he hadn’t known any better, he might’ve thought that Lec was trying to blind him. Their glare was so powerful that Issa almost couldn’t see the rest of the hall anymore. The seats they’d passed earlier seemed shaded by contrast. There could’ve been an entire crowd sitting out there, watching, and the Lucet might not have been able to tell. Perhaps that was half the point. Issa stood there for a moment, uncertain. Then Lec announced their return by speaking, and their real intentions became clear.

“I’d be more surprised if you had” Issa answered softly. A weak smile flickered across their features, for Lec’s benefit, but it was clear he was still feeling a little unbalanced. “All Lucet know how to dance, but it’s not like the sort of thing you do. I mean, obviously, considering that none of us have magic.” Now it was the Lucet’s turn to scramble. He spent a moment trying to figure out how best to explain the differences in their cultures, and arrange his thoughts into some sort semblance of order.

“Lucet dances aren’t the sort of thing you can teach. There are no routines or steps you can practice. We don’t perform one at a time, either, while everyone else just watches.” Issa seemed to find his voice as he went on. The longer he spoke, the more confident he sounded, until he resembled his usual self again. By now, his eyes had adjusted enough for him to lower his arm, and as his gaze settled on Lec, an idea came to him. The Lucet stepped towards his guide, before reaching out to grab one of their forearms. He took a few hurried steps backwards, effectively dragging Lec into the spotlight with him. He positioned himself opposite, and held Lec’s gaze. There were no stage lights in the Lucet forest, of course, but hopefully the gesture would help them understand.

“Normally there’s a big fire, and music, and drink. Everyone who wants to dance gets up together, in one big group. You try and convince your friends to join you, even drag them out of their seats and into the light. Then you just…let the music in. You feel it in your bones, and just move. Do whatever your body wants to, without stopping to think about it.” Had there been any sort of music, Issa might’ve tried to turn his explanation into a practical demonstration. Might’ve started moving to the beat, in hopes of coaxing Lec into joining them. Since there wasn’t, he refrained. “You try and play off each other, but it doesn’t always work. Half the time everyone just looks silly, flailing around together. Especially if the drinking has been going on for a while. But you know what? It never matters, because if you do look silly, then you all look silly together.”

At this point, Issa’s speech was interrupted by a strange sound, the likes of which he’d never heard before. It almost sounded like the roar of a giant bear, but artificial and one-note. The sound was muffled by the several layers of metal that existed between the stage and the outside world, but even so, it was shockingly loud. So much so that Issa dreaded to imagine how loud it would’ve been if they’d been standing right next to the source. He turned his eyes away from Lec momentarily, before glancing back towards them, a question perched on his lips. Before the Lucet could get it out, the entire ship seemed to shudder beneath him. The tremor wasn’t very powerful, but it was so unexpected that it made the Lucet stumble. Thankfully, he was able to lean on Lec just enough to keep from falling.

“Are we…moving?” Even as the question slipped from Issa’s lips, he suspected that he knew the answer. He took a moment to straighten, before throwing a sideways glance at Lec again. “Can we go outside? I want to see what it looks like…and I wouldn’t mind one final look at home, before we go.” He spoke the sentence softly, his own words an unpleasant reminder of what this moment really meant.

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast