Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: [M] The Sword and the Fang [Namingtoohard & Ashen]

The Ashen One
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    medieval fantasy, adventure, psychological
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Issa’s chuckle was not the response to their question that they had been expecting, but when it turned to laughter, loud, filling the air around them, the panicked mage could only look on at their companion in bewilderment. Their mind scrambled to the most serious explanations for such behavior—that Issa had hit his head, either in the water or coming out of it, and Lec was to blame for not holding him more safely; or that too much water had gone into Issa’s lungs, and he was going mad, and Lec was to blame for throwing a whirlpool at him. As Lec found more reasons to blame themselves, they frantically searched Issa, his breaths, his expression. His eyes. Those sparkling views into this creature’s soul were telling. That excitement was back, that joy, that childish glee that had followed them through the market, and the library, and boldly aboard the cruise ship. Seeing the happy shine return to Issa’s face, Lec let out a breath, and they let themselves relax.

Had they really done so much today? Sneaking a Lucet into Evimaire was a feat alone, but they had traversed a good part of the city, had even broken a few laws, and they’d gotten away with it all. Just thinking of it, Lec lost themselves in their own laughter, more contained and tired than Issa’s. They didn’t know how they had changed so dramatically so quickly. Obedient Lec, now running through the city with bad company, disrupting the peace and acting like a child. But was it such bad company? Lec couldn’t remember the last time they had enjoyed themselves like this, and the thought made their cheeks color the slightest hue.

Once they had both quieted, Lec’s gaze fell, unfocused, as they listened to Issa speak. By the Lucet’s logic, they were doing fantastically too, though they felt anything but. So lost in the adrenaline of their chase and escape, they had forgotten about their body’s desperate pleas to rest. Now, still, away from danger, their weariness crept back to them. Fire ran down their legs, through their arms. Their headache drummed behind their eyes, at their temples. Hunger sent the world out of focus again, dizzying. After using their magic, their fingers tingled with needle-like pain. Their entire body ached, and absently, they wondered if they might be able to get to the hospital by themselves, should they need it. But they’d sooner pass out than admit to anyone they felt so weak, least of all to a sworn enemy. In reply to Issa’s question, they mumbled, “I’m alright,” though his expression gave them pause. He looked genuinely concerned for them, for the reckless idiot who had nearly gotten them both killed. Lec looked away, embarrassment tainting their cheeks. “Thank you.”

As Issa continued the conversation, Lec found it increasingly difficult to follow his words. Their headache paired with their raging thoughts were almost enough to drown Issa out entirely, but the things he was saying weren’t making much sense, either. In Lec’s eyes, they could never be the hero, because they had been the one to put their lives in danger in the first place. “You don’t owe me,” they said softly. They couldn’t imagine what Issa had that they would want anyway, until Evelin’s words crept back to the front of their mind, invasive, inappropriate. Their cheeks darkening still, they shook their head and repeated, “It’s alright.”

With the day drawing to a close, it was time for Issa to go home. A frown fell on Lec’s lips. They knew they had a lot to do, had to find someplace to sleep, a meal, maybe even a shower, before they even tried to sort out the rest of the mess from last night, and that they needed to be alone to do that, but they still wanted Issa to stay. This city had been home for so long, but so quickly Lec had felt like a trespasser within its borders, and Issa felt like their only ally. If he were to stay, they doubted there was anything they could do, exhausted as they both were, save to napping together—and there was no way that was happening. Lec nodded softly, accepting that Issa’s parting was the wisest decision. They took Issa by the hand and together set off to their prior meeting place.

Lec was too exhausted to talk, but instead of the awkward silence they were expecting, their walk was peaceful, comforting. The scattering sunlight cast a warm glow over the city, and Lec stole glances at Issa to see how he took in the familiar sights in new lighting. Would he be back? Sure, they had both suggested as much before, but Lec wondered if Issa was serious about returning, and if they themselves were serious about welcoming him back. They wanted to see more of him, more of those smiles, that look of fascination. But Issa was still a Lucet, was a beast, a man-killing animal in sheep’s clothing. Had this whole tour been a plot so that, next time, Issa could bring his family? For some reason, even for all the fear they had held for Issa just hours before, they couldn’t see him doing that. They hoped, against their better judgment, that he would be back.

Before long, cobblestone turned to dirt, and bushes sprung steadily along their path. Lec and Issa stopped at the familiar border between their homes. Lec braced themselves against the nausea that sprung from their sudden stop, then turned to face Issa. “This was… fun,” they admitted, and a genuine smile snuck over their features. “We’ll have to do it again sometime. I’ll tell Soren about today—my brother?—and I’m sure he’ll be happy to know that everything went okay. Though… maybe I’ll leave out the part about breaking and entering.” Lec chuckled softly, though the gesture felt bittersweet. Would they see Soren again before they saw Issa? Swallowing the lump in their throat, they continued. “He’s still going to want to come along, when you come back. But… I hope you enjoyed learning a bit about human culture. Probably not as much as you hoped, but that just leaves more for next time.”

They noticed they were heavily implying they wanted to see him again, and they shifted awkwardly, scolding themselves. One day of fun couldn’t erase two decades of fear. They told themselves they were too tired or hungry or pained to think clearly now, but once they freshened up their common sense would return, and they would see what a bad idea all of this was. They had wasted a day mingling with the enemy instead of securing housing for the nearing night or trying to contact their brother. But as they looked into Issa’s eyes, as a smile lit their face, they had no regrets. “Thank you,” they whispered. An awkward coughing fit followed, until Lec straightened and absently scratched at their neck. “And, um,” they added, “safe travels home.”
    Last edited by Ashen; 08-12-2020 at 02:28 AM.
    Thanks to Craze for the beautiful Bravely set!

~Recruitment Thread~
    Spoiler: Ashen's Personal Hall of Fame 

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

As with most things in life, getting started proved to be the hardest part of their journey. Issa found that both his legs and lungs were currently considering an extended vacation, and they were quick to voice their displeasure at the prospect of being forced back to work so soon. The pain seemed to fade a little once he and his guide were underway, and he settled into a comfortable stroll, but the Lucet knew from experience that the next time he stopped, he likely wouldn’t be able to get back up again for a good long while. All the more reason to make the previous adventure their last for the day, and head for home before his body decided to give up on him altogether.

The journey back towards the city gates felt more subdued than it had been the first time around. The crowd of humans seemed to be thinner now, as if a handful of them had chosen to disappear with the fading sunlight. Lec seemed to be leading them back down the same path they had used to get here in the first place, too. Several of the once-foreign sights now seemed at least slightly familiar, and whilst plenty of them were still exciting in their own rights, Issa didn’t have the strength to greet them with the same enthusiasm he had the first time around. With his seemingly boundless energy momentarily depleted, it proved easier than ever to resist the impulse to run off at look at each and every thing that managed to catch his eye, so the Lucet simply contented himself to trying to relax and enjoy their little stroll for what it was. One last glimpse at the broader expanse of human life…in the short term, at the very least.

Issa was hopelessly lost anywhere within the city walls, but the moment that he began to see green in the distance, the Lucet knew that their journey was almost at an end. Or this particular trip together, at the very least – Issa himself still had a ways to go until he would be properly home. Even so, he felt an odd measure of reluctance at the thought of being forced to depart so soon, despite the easy knowledge that such a parting was for the best, and that he would be back soon. His wandering attention drifted in Lec’s general direction, and for just a brief moment, the Lucet couldn’t help but wonder just what part of today, exactly, he was so disappointed to be losing already.

When the two of them reached the end of the proverbial road, not far from the same place that they had met this morning, Issa shook off such thoughts, turning attention to Lec good and proper. A warm smile flickered across his features at the human’s kind words, alongside the reminder of their younger brother. During all the excitement that had taken place that day, Issa had almost forgotten that there were supposed to be three of them. Just how much trouble could he get into with two humans there to spur him on, and watch his back? The Lucet couldn’t help but chuckle softly to himself at the thought.

“The pleasure was all mine. I’ll see you soon, yeah?”

Issa’s answer was simple enough, compared to the babbling of his guide. Truth be told the Lucet wished he could have said more. Dragged their farewell out just a few moments longer, maybe. They were both tired, however, and he didn’t quite trust himself to remain so eloquent in his current state. He gave Lec’s hand a gentle squeeze, before finally stepping away, slipping from their grasp. He turned towards home and started to walk, and didn’t look back until the comforting and altogether too familiar embrace of the forest had enveloped him once more.

Once they were finally out of sight, Issa would take animal form again, for what felt like the first time in an eternity. He’d change without breaking stride, taking one step as a human, and the next as a large buck. Hardly the fastest way to get home, but it felt the best-suited given his current exhaustion. Something with a long stride that could just plod along at a steady pace, placing one foot in front of the other until he was home. He spent most of the trip in such a fashion, allowing his thoughts to wander idly over the events of the day, whilst trusting that his feet and years of instinct and experience would carry him home safely.

As was his habit, Issa took human form once more when he had reached the outskirts of his home. He strolled into the collection of huts as casually as he felt able, doing his best to mask the true depths of his fatigue. A little would be appropriate, considering the time he had spent on the night watch recently, but if he appeared too out of sorts, then maybe the others would begin to wonder why.

It didn’t take long for Issa to realise that he wasn’t the only thing out of sorts. Their guarded campfire burned low, and was attended by only a single person, shouldered with the responsibility of managing its size. A few more Lucet were milling around in small groups, chatting in soft tones and hushed voices. The children that normally seemed the lifeblood of the village were nowhere to be seen, aside from a single babe perched on the hip of their mother. It felt like a stark contrast to the way things normally were, when they’d run about the village laughing and playing and causing chaos at will, minded only by a loose set of rules and the watchful eyes of whoever happened to be nearby. The atmosphere was morose, almost dreary, and he would have been hard-pressed to point out a singular reason. After a quick glance around, Issa’s gaze settled on a few of the Lucet milling about nearby. Some of them had noticed his presence, it seemed, and he was happy to take their attention as an invitation.

“No music for us all tonight, Syl? I must confess, I’m a little disappointed. I came back early just to make sure I wouldn’t miss it and everything” he offered by the way of a greeting, as he stepped up to join them. Jez folded both of his hairy arms across his chest and scowled, whilst their resident songbird let out a soft sigh. His playful hellos weren’t welcome at the moment, it seemed.

“As much as I enjoy showing off for your amusement, Issa, I can’t say tonight’s a good night for it” Syl answered, her expression lingering somewhere between disappointment and irritation.

“What happened? I can’t remember the last time I saw this place so quiet” Issa asked, his tone a little more earnest this time. He punctuated his words with another quick glance around the village, whilst several unpleasant possibilities lingered in the back of his mind.

“Perhaps if you spent your time to helping the rest of us out, you’d have heard by now” Jez answered gruffly. Issa had known for a while that the larger man generally disapproved of all the time Issa seemed to spent away from camp, instead wishing he devoted his boundless energy to something more productive than wandering. Oh, if only he knew the truth. Thankfully, Syl came to his rescue this time.

“Oh, lay off. You know full well that he was on the night watch with the rest of us, Jez.” A frown flickered across Issa’s face at the mention of the previous night’s events, his fears at least partially confirmed.

“The night watch? Is this about what happened last night? The fire?”

“So you have heard.” Jez again. “The fire, and the humans. Bad news for the lot of us.” He turned his head and spat into the dirt.

“I bumped into Syl out there. She mentioned them briefly, warned me to be on guard…though I didn’t see anything myself.” The lie felt awkward and unseemly, even as it rolled off his tongue, and Issa immediately regretted speaking it. If his words gave either of them pause, however, they didn’t show it.

“Then I dare say you can understand why everyone is a little on edge tonight. We’d likely have thought you taken, if your disappearances during the day weren’t such a damn common occurrence.”

Any other day, Issa likely would have been ready with a quick rebuttal, but tonight he accepted the jab in silence. Partially because of how tired he was, and partially because he couldn’t help but feel like he was walking a very fine line with this inquiry He wanted to ask what the elder’s views on the subject were, but the Luceet found himself unwilling to risk any more than he already was. Instead, he made his excuses and withdrew, leaving Syl and Jez to continue their conversation in peace.

He gave the fire pit a wide berth as he walked around towards the far side of the village, though he afforded its attendant a single nod of acknowledgement. He beelined for a hut filled with sleeping furs, and slipped inside without hesitation. Issa set about making ready for bed immediately, stripping off his dirty furs. His exhaustion hit him like a wave as soon as he lay down, but it still took some time for the Lucet to drift off. Thoughts and memories concerning the day’s events seemed to swirl around in his mind endlessly, despite his physical exhaustion, and Issa had trouble banishing them. Sleep was slow in coming, but when it did arrive to claim him, it did so with a grip like iron.

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Lec remained at the border between their worlds long after Issa disappeared from view. They didn’t know if it was their exhaustion keeping them rooted, or if some part of them, childish as it was, hoped Issa would return. Finally, when they pulled their gaze from the beginnings of the forest, Lec knew they had to face their city. Where could they go? They didn’t want to return home; they didn’t have the energy to face their father, nor cast even a minor defensive spell, should he threaten them. But they couldn’t stay here, either. With no destination in mind, they started walking, hoping their legs would know where to take them.

They did not get far. Their fatigue was now overpowering, and as soon as they spotted a bench in one of the city parks, they fell into it and struggled to catch their breath. There, they watched the scattering groups of people heading home before dark. A family by the playground caught their eye. Two mothers laughed as they chased their three cranky toddlers around the swings. Lec remembered taking Soren here when he was younger, how he’d always sign the word higher, how Lec had sometimes used a bit of air magic to send him soaring. Now, as the smile fell from their lips, they wondered if they would ever be able to take their little brother out again.

And as Lec sat there, alone, helpless, exhausted and starving, they were surprised to find a tear roll down their cheek. The events of the day now catching up to them, they wiped at the falling tears, until they were silently sobbing. They felt pathetic, directionless, stagnated. For today, they’d felt useful, even wanted by someone. Now that that was gone, who were they? What were they supposed to do?

“AJ?”

They stopped suddenly. They had only ever let one person call them that. As they looked up, they fell into those familiar eyes. “Niles?”

Lec’s ex looked exactly like he had when they’d last seen him: his hair untamed yet angelic, his eyes gentle and sweet, his smile comforting, home. He set his cane against the bench Lec was sitting on and took the seat next to them. “Baby,” he murmured, “What did they do to you?”

Lec did not shy from his embrace. How long had it been since they’d been called baby? They shook their head. “I’m fine.”

“Ayj.” Niles set two fingers under their chin and forced their attention. “Don’t lie to me.” He glanced over Lec’s body, at their still-damp clothes, their ruined makeup, their shaking hands. “Why don’t we take you home?” he suggested. “Is that okay?”

Lec shook their head. “I don’t want to cause any trouble. Don’t worry about me—”

“I want to worry about you.” Niles reached for his cane and stood, then offered Lec his free hand. “You can tell me what happened on the way. Can you walk?”

If Lec knew anything about their ex-boyfriend, they knew he would not take no for an answer. They nodded weakly and took his hand. Once on their own feet, they fell into step beside Niles, swallowing the nausea that bubbled to their throat.

“So, what happened?”

Lec was too tired to fight Niles, and perhaps they felt they needed to be heard. “My father threw me out,” they said, surprised at the malice their voice held. “He threatened Soren, and without thinking I tried to protect him, with magic, so he kicked me out of the house.”

Niles scoffed. “That dick was always jealous of what you could do,” he spat.

“I haven’t got anywhere to go now,” they continued. “And instead of being responsible and doing something about it, I spent all day with a Lucet. Can you believe it? I showed him around the city like he was some old relative or something.” Lec chuckled at the barbarity. They expected Niles to do the same, but he remained silent, patient, listening. “Isn’t that crazy?” they prompted.

“You don’t regret it,” Niles said, “do you?”

Lec bit their lip. “I don’t know,” they admitted. “And I don’t know what to do. I’m exhausted, and homeless, and I don’t know what to do.”

“You’ll stay at my house.” It was not a suggestion. “As long as you need.” Niles reached for Lec’s hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. “I’m sorry this has happened to you. I want to help you.” After a moment, he asked, “Where’s Soren?”

Lec turned away. “With our father,” they mumbled. “I can’t see him without facing my dad, and I’m not ready to do that.”

“We’ll kidnap him then.”

“We cannot kidnap my brother.”

Niles raised a brow. “Why not? You’re more a father to him than that asshole.”

Lec opened their mouth to protest, but the words got stuck in their throat. Maybe Niles was right.

Once they arrived at Niles’s house, Niles convinced Lec to take a shower while he made dinner. Finally, they were able to wash the paint from their eyes, the exhaustion from their day. They came out of the bathroom feeling clean for the first time in days. Niles encouraged them to eat, and as he watched them hungrily gulp up the stir-fry and wine, he sighed. He had missed this, this feeling of being needed.

Lec did not remember much of the night, helped by the powerful wine that Niles had brewed himself, and when they awoke, they were in Niles’s bed, still naked. They borrowed some of Niles’s clothes—a loose-fitting hoodie, his infamous tight pants, and a comfortable pair of shoes. They left before he awoke, never saying goodbye.

The sun was still rising as they walked through the streets. Their father would likely be leaving for work, which meant if they went home now, they wouldn’t have to see him. They crept to the block they’d grown up on, watched their house, waited. After a few minutes, they dared to enter.

Except the door was locked. The door had never been locked. Had their father locked it for them? Rage building inside them, they had to restrain themselves from burning the door down. They peered through the windows. Everything looked the same as how they had left it. A bowl sat on the table in the family room, filled still with food. Someone was home.

Lec pounded on the door, taking their chances. After a few minutes, the door swung open, and the blonde boy standing in the threshold looked up at them in disbelief. “Lec?” he signed.

But Lec didn’t respond. They enveloped their brother in their arms, holding him tightly. “Oh, Soren,” they breathed, “I’ve missed you so much. How are you? Is Father treating you well?” Realizing he couldn’t answer while being held, Lec let go and mumbled an apology.

Soren glanced at the clock on the wall. “I have to go to school.” He shifted, then asked, “Will you walk me?”

On the walk, Lec learned that their father hadn’t been home much, and that Soren had been grounded. The child was lonely, and with a father who had hardly learned to communicate with him, Lec knew, in that house, that likely wouldn’t change. To cheer him up, they told himm of Issa, of the day they had had, of the plans they had hinted at about meeting again. Soren’s excitement was palpable, and he begged his sibling to take him next time. When they arrived at school, all Lec could do was promise to fix things soon, and they hugged their brother goodbye.

Alone again, they knew this time they had to be productive. They had a meal at one of the inns they often performed at, and they made arrangements to work again, if for nothing else than a room to stay in. Feeling proud of their productivity, they returned to the docks to watch the waves. Had Issa returned safely to his home? They cursed themselves for not making clearer plans; when would they see each other again? And why were they looking forward to it so much? Sighing, they looked out on the horizon, at the rising sun, at the black smoke tainting the sky far in the distance. A fire overseas? It was too near for that. A little dark for storm clouds. Lec shrugged it off. Regardless of what it was, they had a safe place to stay for the night, so it likely wouldn’t affect them anyway.
    Last edited by Ashen; 09-11-2020 at 09:55 PM.

~Recruitment Thread~

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Issa was a stalwart believer that sleep was a fickle and unkind mistress at the best of times, but the next morning seemed to greet him gentler than most. He wasn’t entirely sure if he had just slept well after exhausting himself so thoroughly the previous evening, or if the thought of another day spent exploring the human settlement was enough to spur him to such quick action, but the Lucet didn’t much feel like questioning such good fortune. He rose and prepared himself for the coming day as quickly as he was able, before slipping out of his hut and into the Lucet camp beyond with a smile on his face and a spring in his step.

Beyond the confines of his little hut, the Lucet camp was already awake and busy, despite the early hour. Just from where he stood, Issa could see several of them already hard at work, going about their daily chores. The mood still seemed a touch morose for his tastes – only a few of those wandering about seemed interested in talking, and those that were did so in hushed tones, whispering amongst themselves – but it still seemed a remarkable improvement over the night before.

A playful yell drew his attention, and Issa even caught sight of Kiara, who was currently attempting to keep an eyeful on a small handful of rambunctious children. They darted back and forth, seemingly ignorant of the gloomy mood, playing whatever imaginary game they had created for themselves this morning. Even as he watched, two of them drew astonishingly close to knocking Jez over as he carried firewood back and forth, shifting between several different animals in the process. Their actions earned a caphocony of displeased words from the older man, at least until Kiara arrived to usher them onwards. Issa couldn’t help but smile at the sight. Looking after the children was a difficult job at the best of times, but one of the most rewarding…and the most fun. He couldn’t help but wonder how human children might compare, with their magic. Issa was almost tempted to wander over and join them, but he had other plans for this morning. In any case, perhaps things weren’t quite so gloomy as he had first thought.

Issa wanted nothing more to run off towards the forest outskirts right away, but his stomach’s gentle rumbling counselled patience. It was probably for the best – he would probably be much too early if he left right away, and perhaps it would keep the others from getting too suspicious if he lingered for a bit. With that in mind, Issa steeled himself as he made his way over towards the fire pit. A few of the Lucet closer to his own age were already gathered around, and he quickly helped himself to a seat between two of them. A few acknowledged him with simple nods of greeting, whilst another offered him a handful of blueberries. They were equally quick to include him in their conversation.

“You were on watch the other night, weren’t you, Issa?”

The question came sooner rather than later, and Issa couldn’t help but let out an inward sigh. As if last night hadn’t been bad enough. Still, he should have expected this, sooner or later. The Lucet were a tight-knit community. Word tended to spread quickly around here, and this was an issue that concerned them all. Issa used the berries he had been handed as an excuse to delay his response, and did his best to keep a straight face when he did speak.

“Yeah, but I didn’t see anything myself. I had no idea what was going on until I bumped into Syl out there, and she told me the story.”

If his company found such a lie inadequate, they didn’t show it. The discussion moved on from him quickly enough, though they didn’t leave the topic behind entirely. Kieran, the Lucet who had offered Issa the berries, certainly seemed unable to help himself.

“My pa thinks that the humans have finally gotten tired of us defying them. Reckons that they’re going to give up on the forest and burn it down just to get rid of us.”

“I doubt it. There’s no way they’d just give up like that. Besides, we’ve never been more than a mere annoyance to the likes of them.”

“I don’t know. All they ever seem to do is destroy. I wouldn’t put it past them.”

The discussion continued looping around in similar circles. All of his old friends, it seemed, were determined to have their say on the matter. Issa opened his mouth to object, and caught himself only at the last moment. Holding his tongue was proving to be a struggle, so the Lucet resolved to stuff his face with as much food as he could manage, lest he slip up and say something that would ultimately prove disastrous.

Ah, my poor friends. If only you knew. How might things have changed if he were free to tell them what he had seen? Or, better yet, show them? It was wishful thinking, but an interesting idea nonetheless.

Issa excused himself as soon as he was done eating, eager both to be free of that particular conversation, and eager to start his day good and proper. The other Lucet waved him off with ritualistic good cheer and a few playful jokes, blissfully unaware of his true intentions. Issa paid them no more attention, doing his best to push their thoughts from his mind.

As soon as he was beyond the bounds of the Lucet camp, Issa once again took on the ever-familiar form of a panther, and began heading towards the forest outskirts, heading back towards the same spot where he and Lec had parted the previous evening. His excitement only seemed to build throughout the entire outward run, reaching its peak when he finally neared the treeline. He took human form and strolled out into the open, grinning like crazy, ready to meet Lec and begin their next adventure. The Lucet slowed to a stop after just a few steps, however, his smile fading as he realised he was alone.

Issa’s smile faded for a moment, before he consoled himself to reason. They were probably just running late, and would be here momentarily. It was only as the moments dragged on that the cold tendrils of doubt began to take hold, and the Lucet finally recalled that, in their exhaustion, they had forgotten to specify a time, place, or even a day for their next meeting. His excitement faded quickly then, replaced by a bitter-tasting disappointment. Had he just given up his first and possibly only real chance to accomplish his dream? Had Lec been genuine in wanting to meet again, or would they use this lack of agreement as an excuse to avoid being stuck playing guide to an enemy for another day? No...surely not. The human had seemed genuine enough when they had parted, despite their initial warnings. Still, the Lucet couldn't help regret his own foolishness.

Issa cast his attention towards Evimarie, cursing his own short-sightedness. He briefly considered sneaking into the town himself, but quickly abandoned the idea. There was a reason he had been determined to find a guide in the first place. Whilst he knew more than he had yesterday, the Lucet hardly trusted himself to navigate the city alone after just one day, and memories of the way some of the other humans had looked at and spoken about him lingered.

Such thoughts were interrupted by a glimpse of some strange black smudge on the horizon, tinged with maybe just a hint of red. Issa had never seen storm clouds like that before, if that was indeed what they were. He raised a hand to shade his eyes, as if doing so might somehow afford him a better view, but quickly realised the futility of the gesture. Either way, he couldn’t help but feel like that was a bad omen of sorts, though what it meant he had no idea.

Resolving to ask Lec about it next time they saw each other, Issa turned and began to head for home. If he was quick, maybe he could offer to help Kiara with the children when he got back. Try and wring some sort of enjoyment out of this otherwise wretched day.

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Lec lost track of the time as they sat on the pier, watching the clouds circle around a distant point in the darkening sky. This was like any natural disaster they had seen before, any wildfire or storm, and discomfort settled in the pit of their stomach, threatening. The people around them had mixed feelings about the omen: some pointed to the clouds in interest, complaining about the effects of fossil fuels; others predicted the world was dying under humanity’s swollen presence; others ignored it entirely, too concerned with their own busy lives to worry about such trivial matters. Lec bit their lip, trying again to dismiss their anxiety. They took several deep breaths before getting up and starting away from the docks, pushing thoughts of the clouds far from their mind.

They had things to do. They had a place to stay for the next couple days at the inn, but they needed to figure out the rest of the week, the month, their meals, their clothes. Lec had no interest calling upon the help of any of their friends; they hated relying on other people, and after spending the night with Niles, they weren’t sure they could trust anyone again so soon. Their performances in inns and bars had earned them their keep for years, but they juggled the idea of other potential work, anything to get them a reliable income. They imagined themselves cooking, cleaning, even taking after their father at the smithy. Tomorrow, they told themselves, they would return home—or, return to their father’s house—and, with Soren letting them in, they would gather their belongings, whatever they could salvage. That would make things just a bit easier, they hoped. With their work cut out for them, they spent their morning running around the city, acquiring work and accommodations.

By noon, they already felt weary from all of their errands. They made their way to the library, and they instantly fell into the familiarity of the place, the smell of aged pages, the kiss of ancient words under their fingertips. They gathered a couple books into their arms before finding themselves standing in the children’s section, hand fluttering over the spin of their favorite children’s book. The smiling elephant reminded them of Issa, of his fascination with this place, of the joy they felt showing him this new world. They wondered what he was up to, if he was telling his family about the humans he’d met, the adventures he’d had. What sorts of things would he say about Lec, they wondered. They cheeks warmed just thinking about it.

When they returned to the inn, they made their way to their room and unlocked it with the key the innkeeper had given them. It was a simple room, with a bed and a candle and a window overlooking a public pool. Lec set the books they’d rented down on the bed. The elephant on top brought color to the otherwise bland room, and they shook their head. Issa likely wouldn’t even return—why had they bothered taking that book out at all? They picked it up and thumbed the pages, looked over the pictures. Tucking it under their arm, they threw the key to their room in the pocket of their hoodie and started out again.

With no destination in particular, Lec walked with the intention of finding somewhere to read. After the long couple days they’d had, they wanted nothing more than to waste an afternoon reading a book too simple and childish, too filled with fond memories. They stopped walking when they realized they’d walked past the city, right to the border where they had left Issa. They chuckled softly at themselves; what would Evelin say about their subconsciousness taking them to Issa’s home? They turned away, prepared to go to some park to do their reading, when a figure caught their eye.

They noticed a head of blonde retreating into the forest. Lec paused, disbelief caught somewhere in their throat. It couldn’t have been—? “Issa?” Their voice was too quiet to carry, and they watched the figure for a few moments, questioning their sanity. They rubbed at their eyes, but when they looked back, the figure was gone, disappeared into the trees—if it had been there at all. Lec was still, unbelieving. Issa wouldn’t have come back so soon, right? Why was he leaving?

Despite their common sense advising against it, they took off after him. When the figure came into view again, pushing overgrowth aside and making his way through the forest, Lec called out again. They stopped and raised their hand to their chest, then curled their fingers. The ground beneath them mimicked the motion, the earth ripping apart and shaping into a rock the size of a baseball. Jerking their hand forward sent the rock hurdling towards Issa, but it flew past him and smacked into a tree a little distance from him. When Issa stopped, Lec met his eye, and a subconscious smile spread across their lips.

They jogged the rest of the way to meet him. “What are you doing here?” The words came out in a breath, relief working its way into the syllables. Lec cleared their throat, worried they were acting too strange, too happy to see him. They averted their gaze, pretending to focus instead on a plant nearby. “I just wasn’t expecting you to come back so soon, and…” They peeked back up at him. His eyes, those burning rubies, the eyes of every antagonist in every book and film, the eyes Lec had been taught to fear; Lec relaxed under their dark gaze, shying at the joy shining there. Was he happy to see them?

They shifted awkwardly. Their third meeting now with this stranger, they were still embarrassing themselves. “Hi,” they started again, and chuckled at their own awkwardness. “Did you… Were you trying to see more of the city?”

~Recruitment Thread~

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Completely oblivious to the fact that he was now being followed, Issa continued to make his way home at a steady pace. His body moved on autopilot, pushing aside the smaller branches and stepping nimbly over any protruding tree roots, whilst his mind wandered further afield. On any other day the Lucet likely would have transformed to speed up the trip home, but on this occasion he refrained. It would have been suspicious if he got back too early, despite his earlier enthusiasm, and Issa felt he could use the time to compose himself. Even so, he was having trouble getting out from under the dark cloud cast by his own thoughts. How could he have been so foolish, and let such a simple mistake rob him of this opportunity?

The crack of Lec’s magically hurled rock striking the tree seemed loud enough to split the air itself. Almost deafening in the otherwise tranquil silence of the forest, it was more than enough to jolt Issa out of his reverie, and almost made him jump out of his skin besides – quite literally. The Lucet turned, sinking into a slow crouch, right on the verge of changing. Every muscle in his body was tensed, every instinct urging him to run or fight, waiting only to find out which of the two it would be. Even after he caught sight of Lec, it took him a few seconds to convince his brain and body both to relax. Issa let out a breath he hadn’t realised he was holding, louder than he had intended, and tried to look less on-edge than he felt as he straightened up again.

“Hi there” Issa replied, once Lec had gotten close enough for them to speak normally. An equally awkward reply, useful only in the sense that it bought him a couple of extra seconds to try and relax…and for his brain to catch up with the rest of the world. Or catch up with what Lec had been saying, at the very least.

“As happy as I am to see you, Lec, the two of us really need to stop meeting like this. Or is it normal for all you humans to say hello by throwing magic at each other?” It was a rhetorical question, of course. Issa had spoken to plenty of humans yesterday without getting battered by their strange powers more than twice, and Lec had been responsible for both of those. He’d been met with a few drawn swords, too, but it was hardly fair to lump them in together like that. That didn’t stop him from tilting his head slightly, though, as if he were asking a genuine question. Even so, he would be quick to continue.

“I….suppose I was” Issa finally confessed, after a few moments. His gaze climbed skyward, and he brought a hand up to rub at his neck for a moment. “I came all the way out here as soon as I could get away, and didn’t remember until after that we had totally forgotten to plan out our next meeting. I’d just given up on waiting, but…well, here you are.” Another slightly awkward chuckle slipped from Issa’s lips unbidden. And just when he’d been doing so well, too. He did, of course, conveniently forget to mention that he had almost given up on seeing Lec again for good, not just today. It seemed that this human had a stronger sense of obligation than he had expected, though.. That, or they’d had just as much fun as Issa had yesterday. Either way, it seemed a safe bet that he was going to get his second visit after all, if Lec had chased them all this way.

“I’m not sure how I missed you coming all the way out here, to be honest. It would’ve been a cruel trick of fate, for the two of us to miss each other by such a narrow margin. Still, you’re here now, and that’s all that matters.” Issa finally allowed his attention to drift back down towards Lec. He’d meet the mage’s gaze good and proper, something akin to hope sparkling just behind his eyes. He’d reach out and offer them his hand, just as he had done so frequently the previous day, falling back into the same pattern without so much as hesitating.

“So…ready to go again?"

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

It took Lec a moment to notice the hitch in Issa’s breath and the fear in his voice, but when they did, they suddenly realized how their greeting might have come across. True, they knew, hurling a bullet-like projectile at someone was not the best way to get their attention, but Issa was disappearing fast, and Lec had done the things that had first come to mind. Besides, they didn’t want to yell in case another Lucet was around, waiting, ready to do what they’d been afraid Issa would all this time. Now, awkward and embarrassed, they shifted their weight. They couldn’t find the words to convey their thought process to Issa, but then, he didn’t seem interested. They choked out a tiny apology that barely made a sound.

I came all the way out here as soon as I could get away… Those words drew Lec’s gaze back to Issa, a dubious brow arching high on their forehead. Was he that eager? Of course, Lec reminded themselves, he was interested in this culture, in this city. They chuckled softly, heat rising to their cheeks. “I appreciate the enthusiasm,” they mumbled. “That makes my job easier.” They cast a stray glance back towards their city. Could they handle another adventure so soon? Where else could they take Issa? They had somehow managed to keep him interested the day before, but what if they bored him today? When they returned their gaze to him, they noticed that he was extending a hand. Had he been waiting long? Another blush rising to their cheeks, they went to shake his hand, forgetting about the thing they were holding.

It fell to the ground with a soft sound, and the pages flurried to settle on one towards the end of the book. The lion smiling on it wore a purple-striped party hat that splashed color onto the otherwise dull dirt background. Lec stared at it for a moment, embarrassed and awkward. They startled and moved to scoop it into their hands, mumbling apologies. “I forgot I had brought that, I don’t know why I even did, I—”

Their voice trailed. What was Issa thinking now? Why had they brought this book here in the first place? They had wanted to read, spend a bit of time alone after the craziness of the last few days, but now, with Issa there, they shifted again. “Do you…” they started, unsure how to start their question. They cleared their throat. “Actually, why don’t you follow me?”

Lec took off back through Evimaire. People only cast them the occasional glance, but Lec was too preoccupied to even notice them. They led Issa past the market and library they had visited yesterday, past the storefronts, into the residential side of town. They walked for a few more blocks before the houses died down, and they were left only with the occasional warehouse-looking building and a field of grass and flowers. “A good picnic spot,” they explained, waving a hand at the field. “The trees provide nice cover in the summer. Should be turning color soon.” They walked over to one and sat down under it. Then, awkwardly, they looked up at Issa. Perhaps they should have asked him before walking all this way. “Do you want to… work on reading?” They held the book out for him. Was this a stupid idea? They turned away, adding, “Only if you want to,” as an afterthought.

The dark clouds from before seemed to be growing bigger. If they were warning for a storm, Lec wondered how much time they had before they got rained on. They could always bring Issa back to their hotel room—they jumped at that thought, and their cheeks darkened. They would absolutely not do that. Looking back to Issa, they were grateful he could not see their thoughts.

~Recruitment Thread~

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Whatever Issa’s intentions may have been, they were quickly waylaid when Lec dropped the object that they had been holding. The Lucet glanced down briefly, and was surprised to see the face of a simplistic lion with purple fur and a party hat staring back at him. It took a few brief seconds before his mind kicked into gear, and he realised that he was looking at one of the strange story boxes the humans used. What was it that Lec had called them? Books? Yes, that sounded about right. How had he not realised that his guide had brought one with them? And, perhaps more importantly, did they have a reason for bringing it along, for him to see?

Had he not been so distracted, Issa doubtless would have bent down to pick up the book himself. As it was, Lec scrambled to retrieve it almost immediately, and tucked it away again, mumbling excuses. The Lucet’s expression was questioning, with one eyebrow raised. The obvious question asked by his eyes was perched on the tip of his tongue, very close to slipping free, when Lec suddenly decided to change tactics. Issa decided to stay silent then, confident – or at least hopeful – that whatever his tour guide had planned would provide him with the answer soon enough. Issa was quick to nod his simple agreement, before setting off towards the city after Lec.

As the two of them made their way into the city proper, Issa’s excitement quickly began to rekindle. After such a disappointing start, he was still getting the day he had wanted after all! Eyes wide, he looked around eagerly as the two of them trekked back through the city again. He talked idly of the things he saw, resisting the urge to run off again as Lec led them ever onwards, towards their ultimate destination.

The housing district seemed more subdued than the marketplace, but all the new sights were interesting enough in their own right. Even so, they quickly faded to the back of Issa’s mind when the two of them finally came upon the park. The Lucet took one look around the grassy expanse of strategically-placed trees and flowers and laughed. An amused, carefree sound that only hinted at the true depths of his delight.

“Well, you certainly know how to make a Lucet feel at home” he remarked as the two of them stepped from cobblestones to grass. Pausing briefly, Issa placed his hands on his hips as he surveyed their surroundings, not unlike a king surveying his domain. “A little more tame than the forest we call home, but it seems like a decent attempt at a substitute.” The Lucet would make his way over to the tree alongside Lec, but when his guide sat down beneath its branches, Issa remained standing, at least for the moment. He reached out and laid a hand against its bark for a moment, as if making sure it were real.

“Its reassuring to see that humans have some appreciation for nature, beyond the resources that it can provide. I guess I shouldn’t be too surprised, though. You saw fit to make your own pond. Why not your own little glade to go with it?” Issa sounded amused as he pondered his own rhetorical question, before he finally turned his attention to Lec good and proper. The Lucet stepped away from the tree and moved towards his human host, reaching out to take the offered book. He would hesitate briefly as he considered Lec’s suggestion, before nodding in agreement.

“I guess its only fair to warn you, but I’ve never been particularly good at sitting still. But I’ll try my hardest” Issa answered honestly. He would finally lower himself down into the grass beside Lec, crossing his legs and placing the book in his lap. Satisfied that he now knew why his guide had brought the book in the first place, Issa would run a hand over its cover idly for a moment, before flipping it open to a random page. It seemed that today wasn’t going to be the same sort of exciting romp through the city that he was hoping for, but Issa consoled himself with the knowledge that, once he had mastered this, he’d be able to appreciate the human settlement in an entirely new way.

“What does this one say?” he asked, jabbing one finger at the page, before throwing a sideways glance at Lec. Perhaps simply rushing into this headfirst wasn’t the best way to go about learning how to do this, as strange as that seemed to him. “Actually, where do you suggest we start?”

The Ashen One
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)

Lec was glad Issa was willingly following along, at least. They tried to drown out the relentless doubts they had as they walked through the city. Issa was distracted again, and as he lingered for a moment too long or wandered a step too far, Lec wondered if it was unfair to steal him from the sights and sounds of the city and lead him to the peace and quiet of the park. He seemed more eager to be here in the bustle. Lec only hoped, after all the excitement from yesterday, he would appreciate a relaxing afternoon.

His laughter confused them. Lec met his eye, a question lingering in their own. They surveyed the park too, seeing for the first time how sparse the trees were, how measured the distances between flowerbeds, how manicured the shrubs. This was nothing like Issa's forest, more comforting than the chaos of the overgrowth. "It's not..." A substitute, they wanted to say, but hearing Issa's thoughts about what this park was amused them. Besides, he wasn't wrong. They wondered what Evimaire had looked like without all its buildings. This park likely wasn't a remainder of that; rather, it was an afterthought, a bubble of nature carved into a developed place.

They had been born and raised here, surrounded by houses and shops and factories. Despite the scarcity of green here in comparison to beyond the border, this was Lec's definition of nature, manmade and all. They looked up at the tree they were under, traced its leaves with their gaze. Even this must have seemed artificial to the forest-dweller. Did bringing him here taint his opinion on humans even further? They looked back to him, at the appreciation and curiosity in his eyes as he examined this tree. They wondered about his idea of nature, how his family treated the trees and the bushes, and as the questions piled on their tongue, they found themselves too embarrassed to ask any of them. It would be easier to see for themselves, they decided-- Though, as they recalled the forest, and the other Lucets that lived there, they doubted they would ever be able to return.

They shook the thought. Turning their attention back to Issa, they raised a brow at his warning. Lec watched him for a moment, then shook their head. "That's fine," they murmured. They considered something as Issa took the book into his lap and opened to a random page. Lec shook their head, a smile creeping onto their lips. They took the book and closed it, then turned it to the front cover. "Books start at the front. That's when the pages are facing this way--" They moved the book for him to see --"and when the spine is this way. You can tell which side has the title because it's usually bigger than any other words. See?" They pointed out the rounded letters of the title. They then opened the book, pointing out the different things on the first page, including the title, the author, and the publisher. When they were finished with the boring parts, Lec turned to the first page of the story.

But before they began reading, they closed the book on their finger and met Issa's eye. "Let's change positions," they suggested. "You don't have to sit still for me if that's uncomfortable. Why don't we lay like this?" They moved to lay on their stomach and placed the book in front of them. Propping themselves on their elbows, they waited for Issa to mimic them. "Is this okay?" they asked. They motioned towards the book, then read the first sentence of the story. After giving Issa a moment to study the sentence, they explained that each letter had a unique sound and shape, and they encouraged him to trace each in the book at they read the words. After a few pages, they prompted another change in positions, in part because their own elbows were growing tired.

And it was then, as Issa was getting up and moving into a different laying position, that Lec's eye caught on the dark ink on his chest. They had glimpsed it before, but now, in a different lighting, at a different angle, it almost looked like an extension of their own birthmark. It was sharper, but the spiral in the center was too similar, almost as if... "Issa?" they murmured, gaze glued to his chest. "The tattoo there. What... what does it mean?
    Last edited by Ashen; 12-10-2020 at 09:56 PM.

~Recruitment Thread~

Mistborn
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Issa relinquished the book willingly when his guide reached out to take it. Eager as he was to begin, the Lucet was just as eager to try and make good on his promise, and learn these things the right way, from the start. He looked on as Lec began with the basics, showing him where you were meant to begin reading, and how he would be able to find that spot for himself in the future. Issa wasn’t quite sure what that had to do with understanding the squiggles themselves, but it seemed important information in its own right. The information that followed was a little more confusing, however. Title? Author? Publisher? So many made-up words, and Issa had no idea what any of them meant. He held his tongue, however, not wanting to interrupt with a ceaseless barrage of questions so soon. Lec knew the right way to do this. Perhaps he’d explain the terms later, and all the pieces would fall together then. For now, Issa would settle for just remembering.

He was quick to shift positions alongside Lec when they suggested it. The Lucet followed their lead on the matter, settling down alongside them in the same position, close enough for their shoulders to touch. He nodded a simple confirmation when they asked if he were ready, before turning their attention to the book once more. It was hard to keep their focus on the markings instead of the pictures, and some of the squiggles were hard to distinguish from those on either side, at times. Even so, Issa grit his teeth and did his best to focus, wrestling his concentration back to Lec and their teachings by force of will.

Things became a little easier when Lec announced that it was his turn. Being able to do something instead of just listening often made it easier to focus. Issa leaned forward, shoulders hunched in concentration, as he tried to make sense of the words written out on the page in front of him. One finger ran over the curves of each symbol as the Lucet tried his hardest to separate them with his eyes, and identify each individually. He kicked both of his legs in the air behind them as he worked; an idle expression of his usual restless energy, and perhaps an outlet for his frustration over the slow pace. Broken down into their simplest elements like this, familiar sounds felt awkward and heavy as they dripped from his tongue. Even so, he persevered. He had wanted this, after all, and any progress was better than none. He could console himself with the knowledge that he was reading, even if he was doing so very slowly, and with a great deal of help.

The next time Lec suggested that the two of them change positions, Issa was quick to comply. He welcomed the break that moving offered, however brief it may prove. Once the Lucet had pushed himself up into a sitting position, he took a moment to stretch. Linking his fingers together, he would raise both of his arms up above his head, palms facing outwards. A soft groan slipped from his lips at the strange yet satisfying mix of pain and relief. The motion caused his vest to shift slightly, exposing the markings on his chest to the air. He would pause momentarily when Lec spoke, looking a touch confused.

“Hm?” Following the gaze of his guide, Issa would glance downwards, He caught sight of the markings himself, and understanding had quickly returned. He’d almost forgotten they were there, all things considered. “Oh, that’s just a birthmark” Issa would answer. His tone was casual, totally at odds with the quiet muttering Lec was doing. Without a hint of hesitation or shame, the Lucet would grab his furs with one hand and pull them aside slightly, as if to offer his guide a better view. Did the humans have these, too? It didn’t seem like it, given Lec’s reaction.

“Some of us are born with them…though most aren’t quite so dark or elaborate as mine. Our village elder used to tell me it meant that I was ‘touched by the goddess’, whatever that’s supposed to mean. Do you humans not have those?” He’d finally turn his attention away from his birthmark and back towards Lec good and proper, head tilted slightly to one side. After a few moments, he’d be quick to voice another question that Lec’s words had brought to mind.

“Also, what’s a tattoo?”

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast