Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: War for the Shimmering Lands M (A Lark and Siks experimental RP)

Red Ninja
    Favourite Roleplay Genres
    Fantasy is my best, but I can do and like just about everything.
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Default War for the Shimmering Lands M (A Lark and Siks experimental RP)

Deep within the Obsidian Territories, in the coldest dungeon of the long abandoned Fort Agebor. The sounds of a cracking whip and the quiet grunts of a deep voice male filled the dead stale air. They were not the cries of pain, more the low annoyed grunts of someone who keeps stubbing his toe. Someone yelled in some unknown language and the sounds of the whip grew quicker and more frantic, but still the low grunts of the other man stayed level.

Torches lit up a room filled with archaic and rusted torture devices. In the middle was a ring of blue fire torches. Men and women in robes were gathered in a circle outside the torches chanting in low dirge-like voices as a very tall human stood naked from the waist up clutching a bloodied whip in his sweaty shaking hand. Before him knelt the bloodied body of a red-headed Dwarf man but unlike his tormentor he was neither sweating nor breathing hard. His head was simply bowed in silent prayer.

And this above all else annoyed the tall human. The cruel whip fell harshly a few more times before the man tossed it down in anger and moved to a long table at the far side of the fire ring picking up a tall mug of some dark colored liquid slogging it down quickly before he hurled it away, the tankard struck the ring of torches and burst into mystical flames falling into a pile of molten slag on the floor. "You try my patience you fucking stump! Tell me where you came from and the forces of your false Gods!"

The Dwarf remained silent seeming to not even acknowledging the man's words. The human grabbed a large spiked club and swung it spitefully at the Dwarf's back, like before the blow landed perfectly sending a spray of blood across the Tormentor's chest and face, but also like before the Dwarf never made a sound aside from a grunt of annoyance. Yanking the club free the human sighed gripping and regripping the weapon contemplating whether or not he should just bash this pest's skull in and feed his corpse to the dogs. But Master wanted the information locked inside this senior Paladin's head, it was simply up his Inquisitor to find a way to learn the secrets.

Normally he'd just use Mind Element magic on him. But this Dwarf is immune to such tactics just like every other Knight of Nightfall. And unless they came across a trump card to use against him physical torment was the only way to go. But it had gotten late and the Inquisitor was out of wine, a few more hours of starving and thirst should loosen the stubborn Dwarf's tongue. He'll be going on five days comes sunup he would only last two more before he would become too weak to continue his fruitless prayers to the pitiful God of Balance. The torches will keep him warm at least, with a final scornful kick the Inquisitor sent the Dwarf toppling over onto the cold floor so he could bleed down the drain built into the stone floor of the dungeon. Waving his hand angrily the Inquisitor opened the wall of fire and walked quickly out leaving one of the Cultists around the circle to gather his tools of torment before he closed the circle once more. As the circle opened though the formally closed Dwarf's eyes shot open and he sent a single mental message to his apprentice telling him of his location and situation and to bring his daughter. Sending it through the ether to Grizber's mind before the torch wall is closed leaving him with only his thoughts and his faith to sustain him through the dark night ahead.

____

Far to the East of the Obsidian Lands lies the lush and bustling hills and valleys of the Shimmering Lands. Small local squabbles aside the lands haven't known war for centuries. There will always be conflict and death, but with the establishment of the Pantheon Council across all Seven Races peace has reigned ever since the fall of the Obsidian Exousiastes who tried to purify the Shimmering Lands which only resulted in him destroying his homeland and sending the world into chaos until the Paladins of the Pantheon could stem the plague of black stones that began growing across the once fertile lands. It's name lost to history, but it's impact felt by all for decades afterwards.

Each race gained it's own land and each Deity gaining a dedicated following among their children. Elves, Humans, Dwarves, Gnomes, Haflings, and Orcs each had it's own patron and each dedicated their lives to fulfilling the doctrines of the faith. Tieflings were once the followers of the Gods said to be source of the Exousiastes's power, but with his fall so went their faith in those Deities. But they were not the slavering monsters many thought they would be instead most became dedicated to fixing the past. They proved themselves kind and loyal by repairing damages and mending broken bonds, and most recently they became the spearheads of a movement for those who could not fall into the boxes of faith like the Pantheon or be bound to some ethereal notion of balance set down by the god Equinox and his Knights of Nightfall.

They became the Chain Knights, guards and upholders of laws set down by Kings and Senators. Backed by the many leaders of the six other races they were those destined to police the city-states and dedicate themselves to protecting the common man while the Paladins fought for the Light against the Dark. While separate from the Nightfalls many of the order's senior members were sent to train the new guards in combat and discipline. Once such trainer is a woman named Randrula Kiwealyn Loveregear, found by her adopted Dwarven father Ruldro Kiwleden Loveregear deep within the mountains at age five and raised as his daughter among the blades and oaths of the Nightfall Knights. She was trained alongside his Half-Elf apprentice Grizber Shimmerblade to join the Knights once they came of age and passed their Rites of the Holy Light. And with the group's most experienced and renowned Knights teaching her they were bound for success.

As the years passed she flourished into a strong and powerful holy woman. Becoming one of the best alongside her father and childhood pal. So when the time came for the Chain Knights to be formed she was one of the first to sign up as a trainer, eager to pay the lessons her father taught her forward into the next generation. Now years later as age is creeping up on her she feels a desire to be more than just a warrior, but neither the Knights of Nightfall nor the Chain Knights allow such a path without first setting down her oaths and blade and dedicating herself to a Deity not from the Pantheon. Some choose this path, but they feel a loss of purpose and restlessness at being home-bound. But not all, a few feel even more purpose and contentedness at not having to go out and fight some black toothed horror from the deepest pits of night or greedy bandit hiding in some mountain fortress ambushing trade caravans.

But on this night her decision must be held off a bit longer because Grizber received Ruldro's message and moving with the speed nearly equal to that of the wind burst into the woman's private room in the Chain Knights barracks with news most dire.
    "Lov, your father has been captured and dragged to Fort Agebor in the Obsidian Territories!"
    Last edited by SikstaSlathalin; 08-15-2019 at 05:01 AM.

Xbox One Gamertag: Free Today56 just say who you are first.
    Breath deep as the snow falls around you. Let it fill your lungs and purify the fires of doubt within you.

Spoiler: The stories I've written x50 

Your daily overdose of cute
    Fantasy, Sify, Romance, adventure, slice of life on occasion.
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)

Randrula Kiwealyn Loveregear daughter of Ruldro Loveregear set upon her knees in quite prayer. Her eyes squeezed tighter and her face took on more concentration at the outburst of the half-elf. If there was one thing her father had taught her it was a prayer should never be interrupted. However when she had finished her eyes flew open, turning to the half elf as she rose to her feet in one swift motion. Someone's first question might be 'how do you know that?' but Randrula, or Affectionately called lov by her child hood friend, picked up her sheathed sword and her new quiver and bow. "Then I travel lightly." She said simply as she strapped the sword to her waist and shouldered her quiver. "The Chain knights have learned much, and have come a long way." she said gathering a few more items from her quarters. "They should be well on their way with the help of the remaining Paladins."

"And yes." She said. "I know I'm not allowed to go alone even at my statues." she grinned at the half-elf. "I'm not going alone." she said finished with her preparations she moved past Grizber and out into the hall. Honestly she was much more worried then she let on, it had been... a while since she'd spoken to her father. She hadn't heard anything from him or about him till, just that moment. And to hear that he'd been captured, how long ago? He was stubborn but she supposed that was only natural, He was a dwarf after all. "We might need a pair of horses." she said over her shoulder to Grizber. "I'll inform the captains and leave special instructions." There was one other person she needed to leave parting words with. "Ill be to the stables shortly."

She already knew he wasn't going to like it, Ballin was contrary on the best of days but he did have a kind heart and a good sense of justice and a willing sense of adventure. He had lots of potential and for a while they had been giving some serious thoughts as to a future. She was afraid that would have to be put on hold, one never knew how long a rescue mission would take, nor if one would return. Let alone if she'd even make it into the obsidian territories. She went first to the captains to inform them that she was being called away on an emergency, as reluctant as they might be they couldn't stop her from going, she left specific instructions and guides for knights she'd been personally training before she took her leave.

Now there was just Baillin. Finding him among the other knights with in the barracks was no chore, the dragonborn stuck out even among the teiflings. she took his hand quietly motioning for him to come before he could ask what she was doing here so late. when they were finely alone she released his hand. "I've been called away on an urgent mission." she started. "I need to leave tonight." She knew that look crossing her scaled features. "I know this means we'll have to put our discussions on hold until I get back." "And when will that be?" He crossed his arms. "I honestly don't know." she told him. "There is a possibility that I wont be." Her voice was calm and even as she studied the dragonborn.

"wont be?" His eyes widened a bit catching on by the implications that it was a dangerous mission. "I'll be going into the obsidian territories." "whats so important that your being sent there?" he demanded. "My father." There was a short paused between the two. The two had never particularly cared for one another on the few occasion that they had met. She blinked slowly as the dragonborn's low words rumbled through the air. Baillin wanted to see the world as did she. But over the years, as she flowered into a young women and now as she was growing older she found she wanted a little more then that. Baillin had been a great help in helping finding that part of her and knowing what she really wanted.

She took the dragon born's hands silencing him for a moment as she smiled faintly. "Baillin, I've cared about you for a long time. We've worked well together in the past. and maybe once again in the future we will. But right now paths don't align anymore." she started. "My father is important to me now, And having kids was important to me then." Baillin looked to the side as he clasped her hands. "W-we still could. maybe." "Maybes not good enough." she told him gently. "Its no use raising a child unless its loved on both sides, and you've made it very clear you don't want to be tied down with little ones. At least at the moment. and that's okay." she said. "But right now, My father needs me and your needed here. Perhaps in the future our paths will Align again." she told him. She leaned up and gently placed a kiss on his scaled cheek. "If they don't, then know that I still care about your future. Go and travel the world and make it a little better wherever you go." She told him as her parting words. Leaving the dragonborn with out words.

She hopped that was gentle enough. She didn't know why it had only dawned on her now, but even with the realization her heart still ached. She tried to still the ache with comforting words to herself, what she had told Baillin was right, even on her part. there were things they each wanted that simply didn't line up and that wasn't fair to either of them right now. When she finely made it to the stables she looked for Griz. "Are we ready to ride?"
    P.K.'s character locker ~ P.K.'s word works ~ P.K.'s Idea store

1x1 = 1/5 Multi = 0/5 PW = 0/2
    Spoiler: Other things. 

Red Ninja
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Griz nodded lightly like all Knights of Nightfall his gear was always ready and set by his door for just such a situation as this. "Always ready Lov you know that. Your da would kick my arse every time I was even a second off his best time." Bringing his gray steed around to be level with Randrula he adjusted the plates across his chest and his long sword across his back trying to hide the fear and worry on his face.

Ruldro Loveregear was the best Paladin in the Knights of Nightfall's ranks. He could easily handle missions that would take a whole squadron of Senior knights himself and return no worse for the wear. And often times with extra goodies for the coffers and armory. "We gotta ride hard, I only got a brief message from him but he didn't seem to be in a good state." He clicked his tongue and rodeo ff at a hard run towards the lands of darkness where many have gone,but very few have returned.

Breath deep as the snow falls around you. Let it fill your lungs and purify the fires of doubt within you.

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)

Default Dreaming of memories

Even in the torch light the darkness was encroaching. Flickering back and forth against the bars like living shadows waiting to grab the occupants inside. three little figures huddled inside as close to the torch light as they possibly could but as far from the bars as the light would allow.

The little dead end tunnel was quiet and cold. Sounds echoed from deep within the core of the old mines indistinguishable and haunting. The crunch of rock and dirt underfoot announced the arrival of two men, their appearance was accompanied by soft whimpers and short sobs of fear from the three remaining figures.

With a groan the cell door swung open and one of the men grumbled in a language the children couldn’t understand before loudly demanding that they get up. Not a soul moved and angrily the man grabbed one of the children by the arm yanking them away from the huddle causing him to cry out in a mixture of fear and pain. The other adult stalked in causing the two remaining children to split apart in an attempt to dodge his grabbing hands.

The second child was grabbed by the hair, a hoarse plea left her lips but fell on deaf ears as she was dragged out. Leaving the third small child to huddle in the dark corner with a dirty tear streaked face as the last bit of comfort was dragged away with cries for mercy. Trembling the third child crouched in the corner, in the dark as she clutched her ears and closed her eyes in an attempt to ward away the haunting sounds and the darkness that surrounded her.

Many deeds go unpunished in this world, murder, sacrilige, slaving. The Knights of Nightfall can only do so much. But sometimes...just sometimes, the knights get a chance to do some real good. Like tonight two children from prominent families had been kidnapped and taken to the abandoned Silver Creek mine to the East. It had been debated for too many days who should go along on this mission, but in the end Warden Ruldro Kiwleden Loveregear we chosen for this one, he was a Dwarf from a clan that once worked those mines and even worked there himself in his youth so he had distinct home turf advantage over the other Knights and it only helped his case that he was one of the most reliable paladins within the order.

Moving in blackened suit of studded leather armor and carrying a crossbow and a weighted leather club he was a spirit among the shadows, like so many of his ancestors before him. The parameters were simple, kill no one unless he had to and do not leave unless both children were with him. And he had no plans for anything less, clues weren’t easy to come by, slavers are rarely the tight-lipped sort, but these goons didn’t even visit a local tavern or brothel after a day’s work so in the end Ruldro had to resort to means of persuasion he never liked. He captured a supply runner and beat the information out of him for the location of the base and their plans. The location was ascertained, but the runner had no clue as to the plans of his employers. So Warden Loveregear had to go in mostly blind, wouldn’t be the first time and he was sure it wouldn’t be the last especially considering Dwarves live to be around two-hundred years old. For such a secretive bunch they didn't have much time or energy to put into guards or fortifications. The Dwarf knocked out two young grunts at the gate and was experiencing a cakewalk for the most part.Or maybe they weren’t as big a group as the Order thought they were.

He neither knew nor cared, the kids needed his focus and attention more than the hows and whys of the bad guys. As the Warden crept deeper into the depths of the old mine using every by-way and secret passage he knew until the plantives sounds of children reached his keen ears. It sounded like many more than just two and rage burned hot in his stout breast as he doubled his pace his muffled boots swishing along the old stone floor like a breeze. Following the sounds the Dwarf soon found himself growling within his beard as he came across a torture room...full of child sized devices of horror.

Within the room of horrors were several children chained against the wall, small lacerations, scrapes and bruises dotted their small bodies. Some looked as if they had been prisoners for a long time. Skinny and dirty.

In the center of the room one of the guards held a child’s arm out, holding the struggling child against his chest while another brandished a knife to cut into the child's hand and allowing the blood to well up from the deep cut. Picking up a small black candle with a flickering flame he held it over the cut and watched as the flame changed to a pure crimson red color.

Behind them stood the other Guard holding the second child, forcing her to drink a small vial of blue liquid as the first was forced into the line of the other children and chained to the wall.

Ruldro watched from the shadows his lips moving in a quiet prayer to Equinox to give him strength. This was worse than he thought. More of the order probably should’ve come along just to bare witness, but also help him bring about the justice this place needed. But for now it was just him and the twelve crossbow bolts he had brought with him. There were only four men in the room, there had to be more no way four men could handle all these children even if more than half of them looked starved and near death. That would have to be for another time though these four men would die here and now. Quickly moving himself around the grim Dwarf took aim as the man at the center with the Elf child. His finger twitched and the bolt flew like a silent bolt of lightning driving itself though the center of the man’s head, Ruldro knew once the first one fell though he would only have mere seconds to drop the rest. Stepping from the shadows the Warden pulled his hood away letting his blazing red beard and hair glisten in the dim light of the torches. “Judgment has come as a Knight of Nightfall, I am my god’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for I do not bear the blade in vain. I am the servant of Equinox, an avenger who carries out the God's wrath on the wrongdoer.” As the words left his mouth three more bolts shot out striking down each man before he even managed to draw his blade. The children cried out in fear and pain as a new fearful menace jumped from their fevered nightmares spilling even more blood upon these already blood soaked stones. Their cries would surely bring the rest of the kidnappers, so the Warden quickly dropped his crossbow and blew into his hands. His breath turned to shining gold and engulfed his hands in holy fire. His low rough voice chanted a few quick words and threw his hands out the holy light erupted from them sending waves of calming light out to soothe the terrified children and heal their most grievous and festering wounds.

Healing magic wasn’t the Warden’s most practiced skill, and a Grand Healing spell like this drained him most completely. “Worry not dear children, you will be home soon.” He panted from his knees rubbing his hair and face slowly.

The sobs and whimpring subsided quietly with the calming light. Some children looked on in awe and amazement as their wounds were healed in the strange but comforting warm glow. The girl spat up what little of the vile she hadn’t swallowed, one of the ones not yet locked up with the other children.

“You’re gonna take us home?” one child asked hopefully from where she stood huddled against a larger child. Some relief and hope making their otherwise dirty and tired faces brighten at the more friendly face that came to their rescue.

“There's one more!” The girl gasped as she wiped her face, though frightened before, and still wry now she seemed more composed. “She’s still back there.”

Ruldro grunted lightly standing back up hefting his crossbow. “Another? What were these men doing with you all here?”

A young Orc boy spoke up pulling a broken tusk from his fat lip before he moved his bleeding hand to his chest. “We don’t know, they just made us drink some nasty potion then began..cutting us and using that weird black candle to test our blood or something.”

Ruldro’s eyes narrowed that could be any number of heinous acts. “Did anything happen?”

The larger girl shrugged her pointed ears reddening a little. “Sometimes the fire changed colors, that made the bad men excited, and they took those kids away.”

The Dwarf grunted slinging his crossbow across his back. “That’s not good, do any of you know where this last girl is?”

The older girl hesitated a moment looking at the other children. “T-this place is like a maze, and everything looks the same.” she said. “I do know its at a dead end and I don’t think it's very far from this room.”

Ruldro nodded going through his memoires. There were a lot of dead ends in this mine, but a Dwarf knows what to look for. He looked at the girl ironically noting she was just as tall as him. “Think back, was there a marked shaped like a yellow half a cross on the wall by the door to the room?”

The girl thought for a moment trying to visualize what he had described. “No…” she said slowly. “There wasn’t a door.” she said slowly. “But there was a marking at the entrance. It was like…. Like… Like an upside down Y.” She said finely.

Ruldro looked down in thought and nodded. “Ok that is an old storage room, lead me there please.” He looked at the other kids. “The rest of you, grab what warm clothes and supplies you can we’ll be moving out as soon as I return.”

The girl hesitated for a moment before nodding not sure if she could but willing to try and remember the way as the other kid who wasn’t quite locked up yet searched for a key to free the other kids and do as the adult asked them.

Stepping out into the darker cave she looked around before picking her way down one direction, confident on that much at least. With each intersection they came to she hesitated a little more as she tried to remember from which direction they had come. “I-its down here. I’m sure of it.” she whispered peering down another dark hall with only the faint glow of a torch light near the end and from the branch that went off it. In the stillness of the cavern with only the vague distant noises and the small flickering flames she was sure she could hear the soft sobs of another child. Partly relieved she exclaimed quietly. “She’s still here!”

Inside the cell at the end of the branch the little girl set in the corner with her head in her arms, knees pulled close to her chest softly crying to herself.

Ruldro peeked through a hole in the door seeing the girl’s fears. Letting out a low sigh he pulled off his weapons and placed them on the ground outside before lifting the torch up to show his face. “It’s ok lassie, you’re safe now.” He moved slowly forward trying to shush crying girl.

At first the child inside cowered at the back of the cage with a whimper. But as he approached and softly spoke not acting like the other men at all she went quiet. Eyeing the man for a moment with fear but he wasn’t trying to grab her like the other men and a soft whisper from the front caused her to see the other girl who’d been dragged away previously, unharmed.

The girl uncurled from the corner, looking small and dirty as she timidly approached the Dwarf rubbing her eyes and smudging her face with more dirt around her strangely clear blue eyes. She seemed torn from standing close enough to find comfort from her savior and the light and standing enough out of the way that she could duck away should he try to grab her.

He smiled lightly and handled the girl the torch. “Here you can hold this, it’ll keep the darkness away. My name’s Ruldro Kiwleden Loveregear. I’m a Knight of Nightfall, I’m here to take you and all these other children back to their families. I’m sure you’re parents are missing you terribly.”

Taking the torch in both hands the girl looked to the flames, feeling the heat wash over her face before looking to the Dwarf as he introduced himself as Ruldro. She thought it was a strange name, but she didn’t say so out loud. Instead of looking up at him with her crystal blue eyes as he mentioned parents. She blinked at him for a moment. Her voice was rough, probably from crying so much, perhaps screaming and lack of water. “I don’t have any.” She wasn’t sure how long she’d been down here, new kids had come in almost every day after she arrived. All of them crying for their parents, or wanting to go home. She just wanted to leave this horrible place, but she had no where specific to go.

The Dwarf frowned in confusion. A kid yanked from the street? That wasn’t in this groups M.O. they stole from rich or powerful families of great renown. Granted swiping urchins off the street would’ve been a far smarter plan, but Ruldro felt there was more to this girl’s capture. He would have to question her later, once everyone was safely out of the mines. Giving her a soft smile he reached up and brushed some hair from her face. “Then I guess you’ll be coming with me lassie, I’ve always wanted a kid, but the rites of my order make it impossible. But first let’s get all of you out of here. You can hold the torch for me and your wee friends, do ye have a name girl?”

She looked a little surprised as he spoke. Go with him? She wondered at it as he brushed some hair away from her face making her blink. Really? There were so many thoughts that went along with that before he asked if she had a name. If she had been given one, she’d long forgotten it. There was a varying assortment of names she had been called on the streets but she didn’t think that’s what he meant. The girl shook her head slowly, unable to take her eyes off the Dwarf, such interaction was not normal, adults were usually cruel and mean.

The Dwarf frowned as he led the way back to the other children. “Then I’ll have to think of one for you lassie. But for now just follow me we need to get back to the light.”

The light, yes getting back to the light sounded nice. Sticking close between the Dwarf and the older girl she followed through the dark tunnels to the waiting children who had freed themselves and gathered whatever they could as Ruldro instructed.

Moving quickly and quietly Warden Loveregear led the troop of children through the safest paths he knew. Any more guards or goons still in the mines would be none the wiser, luckily the children listened to his words about being silent and staying close. They reached the secret entrance to the mine and from then it was more of the same until they reached the nearest town.

Randrula blinked open her eyes, blinking out the blurriness of sleep as she roused from her dream. It was still dark out but the moon was sinking to the other side of the sky, It be morning in a few hours.

A yawn ripped from her lips as she slowly set up, wiggling from her sleeping bag as she stretched. “I thought I told you to wake me at midnight.” She murmured stiffing another yawn. “You need rest to Griz.” she said sitting up from her back to crawl up into her feet and look around their camping site. The fire had worn down to smaller flickering flames.

Even as she spoke her mind was on the dream, or rather a memory. She hadn’t thought about that day for a long time. She picked up a stick and started to stir the ashes, poking pieces of wood that could still burn until the fire began to grow again. Once satisfied she plucked the small glowing stone that floated around her head and stared at it for a moment. Ever since that day, or rather that long almost endless time she’d spent there. The darkness had always terrified her, though she’d learned to control her fear rather than letting it control her. She still found more comfort in the light of a fire, or a full moon. This small stone brought a sense of comfort in the dark. She carefully tucked the stone into a little pocket before looking back to Griz.

Griz let out a loud yawn and stretched his arms up listening to his joints pop. “I thought you needed more sleep Lov, you’ve barely slept since we left the temple three days ago. But I guess short of knocking you out myself might as well concede. Been pretty quiet just the babbling brook over there.” Standing up he rubbed his eyes and hefted his sword before he fumbled into his own sleeping pile by the fire.

Randrula smirked as he held her hands to the fire. "Good luck." she chuckled but as the half elf curled up to sleep she wished him a good rest before resting her palm on her sword and looked out in the the waning night.

Red Ninja
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

Dawn crested the hills around their small camp and the light jabbed the Half Elf in the eyes making him groan and roll over. But he rolled too far and tumbled down the slope with a squawking yell. Luckily he caught himself before he fell into the brook at the bottom of their camp.

Letting out a small yawn he sighed laying on his back looking up at the sky. "Well, guess Equinox is saying I need a bath."

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)

Randrula peered over the top of the slop. "Taking an early morning bath?" she asked grinning. "In your cloths?" She chuckled. "Well you better make it quick, I'm cooking breakfast." She called down to the half elf before she turned and made her way back over to the fire to turn the coals as she pulled free a pot and making her way back over. "Think you can grab some water for us to boil? Since your already down there." she asked holding out the pot. "Pretty please?" She set the pot down before heading back to the fire once more.

Pulling free another pan to put over the fire, some water, a little bit of dried meat and some fresh picked greens should be a good start to the day. as the pan warmed up she dug out the dried meat and started pulling it apart, she'd spotted some herbs just down the creek. "Better get this under way, we've still got a long way to travel." she sighed

Red Ninja
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

The pair traveled hard for a full day until the lights of the small town called Sapphire Waters lit up the darkening horizon. Grizber took a long swig of his water skin sighing deeply. "Been a long time since I've been here, wish we could keep riding. But it gets quite dangerous past the town."

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)

Randrula frowned at the town lights growing closer. as much as she was eager to push on, Griz was right. She let out a soft sigh and nodded. "Then lets get a good place to rest, and get plenty of it." She said. if things were going to get more dangerous past this point they would need to be at their best.

She gently spurred her horse into a faster jaunt towards Sapphire Waters. Perhaps if they were lucky they could get an inn. "You know more about the lands beyond, How rough is the terrain?" She asked. "If its to rough we may have to leave the horses." She said not liking the idea.

Griz grunted lightly leading the way to squat inn near the center of the town. Sapphire wasn't one of the best towns in the region, but for two warriors like them the dangers were minimal, at least as far a being killed in their sleep goes. Could still pick up lice from the shabbier inns, luckily the Half-Elf knew the best place in the town to stay in. It was called the Bard's Stump, decent food, coldish beer, and clean rooms.

He shrugged lightly pointing out beyond the inn. "It won't get that rough until we actually reach the Obsidian Lands, for now though our best place to sleep here is the Bard's Stump up that way."

The young women paused as she peered through the falling dark towards the lands mentioned beyond. The Obsidian territories. A place most people actively wanted to avoid since it stopped growing. A few that did venture in came back out. But somewhere in there was her father. Just hang on a little longer old man, I'm coming. She thought before turning her horse to follow Griz to the inn.

She slid off the horse, rubbing his neck gently as she took his reigns and walked up to the small stables. It was... small but it smelled of fresh hay. It was a nice place considering the rest of the way the town looked. "Nice place." she said looking back at Griz. "I'll settle the horses in." She said. "If you'll get us a room, or two." she said offering him a sly smile.

The man gave a wink and a chuckle. "We can probably only afford one room right now, I forgot to grab my big bag of traveling coin before we left. But I'm sure they should have a room with two beds." Adjusting his travel back his moved into the inn. It was till early in the night so aside from some farmers and hunters enjoying a draft after a hard day's work it was relatively peaceful. Like most Inn's most of the bottom floor was open, only a single door behind the bar that lead into a noisy kitchen as the evening meals were being made.

Behind the bar was an older Elven woman. She looked tired, but kind enough. Walking up he put on his best knight smile. "Evenin' ma'am, how are you today?"

Looking up the woman blinked a few times before she lifted her hand to her mouth and turned her head as she let out a large yawn. "Long, but nearly done now Sir Knight. How can I be of service tonight?" She blinked a few more times lazily taking in the details of Griz's face and armor.

"My friend and I are traveling West and need a place to sleep for the night. Do you have a room with two bed available?"

A small smile crossed the tired woman's pretty face as she saw glances of the similarly armored Randrula in a window that looked out into the stable. "Shy one is she? Well lucky for you two lovebirds we only have one room like that and it's open." Reaching under the counter she rummaged around for a few seconds than produced a long slender brass key. "Just ten gold a night, no extra charge for noise." She chuckled and winked.

Pulling out his coin purse the warrior nodded and placed the asked for amount on the rough wooden counter before taking the key his cheeks red a little. Moving quickly he went back outside the cool night air working to hide his embarrassment. "We lucked out, they only have one room with two beds and it's ours for the night."

It hadn't taken Griz long to get the key to the room but Lov had wasted no time making the horses comfortable, removing saddles and harness. "Good." She responded over her shoulder. "Lets hope our luck holds out through the morning." She said doing one last check as she gently rubbed at the horses side. "These two should be settled for the night." she said making her way over to Griz. "Dinner and bed? or you up for a little drink?" she asked. A little drink might help her settle her restlessness otherwise she'd never get to sleep.

She smiled at the half elf, not missing the faint color through the light that came out of the windows. She gently elbowed the half-Elf. "So, what did you say to get the room?" she asked teasingly. "are we shy elopes or siblings?" she chuckled.

Hiding his embarrassment under the cold of the night he scoffed. "No, I said we're knights on a holy mission, and I'm dropping you off at a Nunnery so we must be sure you remain pure and chaste, so just act like you aren't famous around the barracks growing up." A tease for a tease in his eyes. But soon they reached the stairs that lead up to the rooms. "Dinner and a drinks sounds good, but after we wash this road dust off. I think you stepped in some horse shit out there." He chuckled the red on his cheeks gone before he began moving up the steps.

Lov couldn't help laughing at his response. "A Nunnery." She chuckled. She scoffed a bit but followed him up the steps. "I should mention that to father, see what he says." she chuckled. In truth Ruldro would probably roar with laughter at the very thought. As a child Lov might have been quite and submissive but as a teenager her personality had started to flourish around the other warriors she was around and as an adult she was rarely quite and submissive.

However as Griz was unlocking their room she couldn't help wondering how her father was doing, he was a tough and stubborn man but even the most stubborn had limits. The biggest question would be, would they make it in time. It was an... occupational hazard in their field. That was probably another reason Lov was the only child he'd ever really called his own. She'd always steeled herself for the outcome that he might not make it back from one of his missions, but he'd always returned on his own. What were they walking into? and would they all walk out?

She moved into the room as the door was opened, pulling off bits of armor and carefully setting it on one of the beds. She paused for a moment before speaking. "Grizber, we could be walking into something we might not walk out of." she said after a moment.

The Half-Elf was thinking the same thing, but refused to let it get much further than a simple thought. "We mustn't think that, Ruldro was...is the best the Knights of Nightfall have. He's been through worse and come back with a look of boredom and a belly full of wild boar meat. He'll be fine, you, I, and Equinox know this." He shut his mouth and quietly pulled off his armor and placed it at the foot of the bed furthest from the door before vanishing into the small wash room off that side of the room.

He was right. But there was something deep inside that nagged at her, a lingering whisper of dread. She let out a slow breath as she heard Griz move off into the washroom. She finished taking off her armor and started wiping it down, making sure it was clean and ready for travel tomorrow as she waited for the half elf to come out. It would be neatly put up at the foot of the bed before she got up and moved to the window. they had a perfect view facing off towards the dark lands. She crossed her arms and stared off into the darkness.

Once Griz was done washing the travel off him she'd do the same, coming out a little while later ready for a good meal and maybe something to drink to numb her darker thoughts. "I suppose we better get to eating if we want to get to sleeping." She said with a small yawn ruffling her damp hair.

Griz nodded finishing up the buttons on his leather vest before rolling the sleeve up on his undershirt. "Agreed Lov, last time I was here I had a surprisingly good steak. Wonder if it's still on the menu." He said giving the woman a smile opening the door for her, knowing just how much it would bug her. "Ladies first."

Lov raised an eyebrow at her companion, quirking a smirk. "Your more of a lady then I am." she said giving him a playful, light punch in the side. "What was it again that young half troll called you?" she grinned over her shoulder as she moved out into a hall.

Griz snorted turning his head away from her as he followed her down the steps. "Bite me flat-ear."

Lov smirked. "Is that a dare?" she asked as she led the way down the stairs back to the common room. She picked a table near the bar but far enough in the back they could watch the floor and no one could sneak up behind them. Lowering herself slowly into a chair she groaned softly. Riding all day sure had a way of making one sore. "You mentioned a good steak? I think I'll try one." she said leaning back in the chair.

Stretching his sore shoulders Grizber nodded waving down a server, a Orcess by the looks of her, but smaller and softer than her usual ilk, maybe another half-breed? Seems to be a lot of those in this town, a lot more than Griz remembered the last time he was here. "Good choice, you won't regret it I promise." As the woman approached she cocked her hip slightly looked the pair over before speaking. "Welcome to the Bard's Stump, my name's Gret-gra-Tosahs, I'll be your server tonight. What can I get you two tonight?" She sounded almost as tired and bored as the woman behind the bar.

Griz noticed she didn't have an order pad or anything, so he hoped she had a good memory. "Hello my dear, my friend and I would like steaks please. And I'll have some chilled mead for my drink." The woman nodded tapping her clawed hand on her hip before looking at the human woman. "And what do you want to drink?"

"Chilled mead sounds good." Lov said with a soft smile. She didn't usually care about race, whether they were half bloods or full. It never mattered, after all she had been raised around all sorts. In the end they were all living beings right? so what did it matter? She crossed her arms over her chest and waited for the women to move off out of ear shot before she stretched her arms slowly over her head, letting the ache slowly come out with the long stretch and put her hands behind her head leaning the chair back. "What more do we know of the lands beyond?" she asked just so her voice could reach her companion and no one else. "I suppose it will pay to be prepared if nothing else."

Griz leaned back as well and shrugged rubbing his eyes. "Not much Luv, barren, rocky, full of either mutated animals or desperate bandits looking to hide from the law or ambush people along the borders. It's unbelievably cold at night and like walking on a frying pan during the day. The perfect definition of miserable, and somehow Ruldro crossed that on his own with just that smelly old war goat of his and a single skin of water. Not sure if that's a Dwarf thing or just a...Ruldro thing." He chuckled lightly giving the server a smile of thanks as she brought their drinks.

"Hum." she though over what the half elf said pursing her lips together in a dry smile. "Probably both." She responded. to cold at night to hot during the day. Traveling during the twilight hours would be difficult for them. "Suppose we'll have to try a few spells to take the heat off during the day." she said. "Or risk traveling by night. I don't think we can take the horses through that." she said quietly, thoughtfully. It be hard enough just trying to keep themselves alive going through there it be almost impossible for them with two horses.

Grizber sighed deeply and shook his head taking a long pull of his drink. "Yeah, taking them both would be nearly impossible. The magic could work, but I heard the deeper you go into the Obsidian Territories the less effective our kind of magic becomes. That might be why Ruldo hasn't gotten himself free yet." He swished the liquid within his bottle slowly watching it spin against the glass. "If we do go into it on foot we have another question to answer. What are we gonna do with out horses, we don't have the money to keep them here and unless you plan to bat your eyelashes and show a little skin to the stable boy I doubt they'll let us keep them here for free."

"To bad you didn't grab you large purse." she said setting the chair down on all fours before leaning on the table to finely pick up her drink and take a sip. "The only other thing is to let them go on their own and hope they make it back home. She frowned into her mug. that could be just as dangerous. "Though that's still a bit of a long way for them." She sighed. "Even if I wanted to, if Ruldo ever found out, he'd kill us both and seeing as were on our way to save his sorry hide its probably best not to tempt fate." she said finely kicking the chair back into two legs once more and taking another sip. She was quite for a moment as she hooked her foot under the table to keep her balanced. "Though... there were cities once, ya?" She said. "Perhaps we could strike a deal with the inn to house them for a few days in exchange for a sum upon our return. no one's going to need the money where we are going, and if we don't return they can sell the horses to make up for it." it was a long shot, any cities, towns or villages that survived, let alone had anything salvageable were probably picked clean, anything farther would be a risk to carry anything even if they could find it. She shrugged and took another sip.

As their steaks arrived the Half-Elf hmmed picking up his fork and knife cutting into the meat. "Maybe we can send word to one of our Orders to come get them? A trader only needs a piece or two of gold to carry a message, especially if one of us puts our seal upon it." He lifted his hand showing the signet ring for emphasis. "But let's enjoy our food then think of a plan. It's never good to dwell on unpleasantness on an empty stomach."

"Your right, your right." she said once more setting the chair down and settling in to eat. "Whatever we come up with, we need to be prepared by morning." she said as she cut up her steak and took the first bite. "Your right, this is pretty good."

Red Ninja
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)

After spending the night at the Bard's Stump and sending their horses to the nearest Temple the pair of holy warriors bartered for a ride on a traveler's wagon that would take them as close to the Obsidian Lands as possible from there...it'll be a long trek still.

But neither of them were soft-footed farmers. The biggest issue would be boredom most likely. Things are pretty empty between the lush lands and the obsidian one and once you cross that border it's like time itself has stopped in awe of the massive magical destruction. There might be the occasional blighted animal to contend with or strange roaming tribe of bandits. But from all reports the Obsidian Lands were as dead today as they were a millennia ago.

Still someone or something was out there why else would the old Dwarf have gone to fight it. The pair just hoped it wouldn't be too late. But as they walked around the edge of a small peak and saw the dark lands in all their bleak beauty doubt began to creep into their hearts. Griz sighed and scratched his head. "So where shall we start?" He asked his companion scanning the desolate horizon.

Mentioned
    76 Post(s)

Lov looked over the lands with a expression that left little to read other then her mind turning over their options. "there arn't really any land marks to start searching around." she said after a moment. "So forward." she said glancing up to take note of the sun. "we'll follow the path of the sun, so we can keep out path strait." she said following the sky down once again to the land beyond. "I don't suppose the old stubborn goat gave you directions otherwise." she said quietly as she shifted her belt to a more comfortable position.

She hesitated a moment longer before she let out a long breath and started heading down the the slope. this land was not flat. it be a wounder if they saw anything until they were on top of it. What else would there be to see? the land was oddly striking, strikingly haunting and beautiful at the same time, black spikes looked like city spires in the distance, with an unforgiving sun between the sparce shadows.

She tried to keep her doubts out of her mind, and out of her heart. but it seemed the further they walked, the more uneasy she felt. There was something about this place. the haunting past, the unknown? The fact that the man who raised her was somewhere in this place, possibly beyond her reach where she couldn't help him? Or was it something else? She couldn't voice any of her thoughts out loud because she couldn't compleatly make sense of them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast