Roger set down their bags on the table. "We know why you both ran away. We don't like your parents anymore than you do. We're not going to send you back home until we know that you would be safe." He looked at Maeva. "Can you help Jimmy? I'll start with David then come help you." David looked at his friend as he peeked around the door.
"It's okay. They'll leave once they help you." He said, trying to reassure his friend. Roger gently laid his hand on David's shoulder.
"Let's go to the kitchen. I'll fix you up there." He said softly. David nodded and followed his dad to the kitchen for a little privacy. Roger knelt in front of David to gently lifted David's shirt up to see the bruising. "oh David..." He murmured. He placed his hand on his ribs. "I guess it's time I taught you how to heal yourself." Roger showed him the mark that triggered the healing spell and taught him the words. After he spoke, David's ribs knit themselves back together and the bruising faded. David grimaced at the sensation but then took a deep breath. He smiled once he could breathe without pain. Roger smiled and gently stroked his hair. "Now you try." David nodded and repeated back the spell and the rest of his bruises faded away.
"Can I use this to help Jimmy's concussion?" David asked softly.
"You can't. But I can try. The brain is a tricky thing to heal. But I have something to show you." He pulled out the piece of paper with Jimmy's mark on it. "I was working on this when you ran away. Your mother and I weren't going to sit and do nothing to help Jimmy. There's a right way and a wrong way. You running away may have helped him get away from his parents but not from the rest of the world. But this mark should prevent his parents from beating him so he will be safe."
"But he can't go back. His parents won't let him get away with this. We've gone too far now."
"I know, David. But if he does have to go back, he will be safe. Or safer at least." David shook his head.
"We're not going back with you." He said this as he crossed his arms, his face hardening. Roger sighed. At least he tried to convince him.
"Alright. We'll leave you here. But you know that your mother has been watching over you both, just waiting until you're ready to come home."
"We won't be coming home. Ever." David scowled a bit.
"Alright. Fine. I'm going to help Jimmy now." Roger got up and placed the paper back into his pocket. He walked towards the bedroom where Jimmy was hiding.